Prologue

The scientific world was amazed by reports from the 1931 Miskatonic University expedition into uncharted Antarctica. The entire world was shocked by the tragedy which followed. Now a new larger expedition will brave the mysteries of the icy continent. How credible were Miskatonic University reports of fossilized remains of ancient life forms predating all known terrestrial life? Will your expedition return in glory or tragedy?

Moderator: kabukiman

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Re: Prologue

Post by kabukiman »

Snapper wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:06 pm Image

MacDuff gave LeBlanc a quick look of apology. "I believe I'm next in the queue."

With that, he strode into the interview room and gave the occupants a respectful nod each. "Gentlemen, I'm MacDuff, cartographer. I believe you have my references."
He makes a quick glance to Moore and then says
"Ah yes, I remember, We read your papers and indeed you seem just what we need. You will participating in a one time in a life opportunity! The entire world will be looking at us,and our names will be remember as long as there is courage in humankind! Congratulations, you are now a member of our expedition! One of my collegues will give you the adequate papers and you can already stay in this hotel." (the third member of the trio give you a bunch of papers).

He takes you to the door and then shouts:
"NEXT!
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

MacDuff nodded politely again. "Thank you, gentlemen, I will not let you down." With that, holding the papers provided, he headed out to make way for the next interview
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That was fast," says Katie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Out of sight of the interview room, MacDuff looked at Katie and shrugged modestly. Quietly, he said, "I'm not sure I ken what decided them but I suppose they were in need of a cartographer and had no more time to waste looking. Good luck to you though."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Katie. "Maybe your reputation preceded you. I hope I get to go with you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Maybe they want people who won't much be missed if they're lost on the expedition, whose demise wouldn't attract much interest from the papers, y'ken?" Macduff's tone has become hushed and conspiratorial, but he raised an eyebrow with amusement. "We'll have to see how the photographer does."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That could be," says Katie. "I am a Wright, but I'm not exactly as famous as my distant cousins. Or as Amelia Earhart. I can just imagine the headlines if she disappeared."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Macduff shrugged again. "Maybe any aviatrix missing would be too much unpleasant coverage in the papers for their preference." . With that, he fell into a brooding silence.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Martin steps into the room.
“Good morning, Gentlemen.

I’m Martin Le Blanc, expedition photographer on various artic circle expeditions, also those in Les Alpes, Northern Territories and most extreme of all, The Cairngorms. I’m sure you have all experienced the Scottish Highlands; it’s not high, it’s not vast but the weather makes the European climbers tremble.

“As you can see from this old camera, I can take pictures with any equipment and I’m very handy with fixing it; all gadgets really. My Aunt is the formidable explorer Hettie Le Blanc, you must have heard of her exploits in Rhodesia. Exploration runs in the family.

“Now, if you’ll all look this way and say, ‘Sign here, Mr Le Blanc…. ( there is a bright flash ) … excellent, that by the way is as my own salts of magnesium, engineered to work at very low temperatures, including that caused by your present expressions…. Er….”

Martin grins uncertainly.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

aine wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 pm Martin steps into the room.
“Good morning, Gentlemen.

I’m Martin Le Blanc, expedition photographer on various artic circle expeditions, also those in Les Alpes, Northern Territories and most extreme of all, The Cairngorms. I’m sure you have all experienced the Scottish Highlands; it’s not high, it’s not vast but the weather makes the European climbers tremble.

“As you can see from this old camera, I can take pictures with any equipment and I’m very handy with fixing it; all gadgets really. My Aunt is the formidable explorer Hettie Le Blanc, you must have heard of her exploits in Rhodesia. Exploration runs in the family.

“Now, if you’ll all look this way and say, ‘Sign here, Mr Le Blanc…. ( there is a bright flash ) … excellent, that by the way is as my own salts of magnesium, engineered to work at very low temperatures, including that caused by your present expressions…. Er….”

Martin grins uncertainly.
He is simply delighted to see a photographer and shakes your hand
"That is excelent! Not only you will have the oportunity to see and record things that no human ever saw, but your photos will be no doubt printed in all over the world!"

When you photograph him, he immediatly makes a more heroic pose; you can see that he is acustomated to this kind of situation; the other two persons on the contrary, seem to try to blend with the shadows of the room, not confortable with being in the spotlight.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

With this, he congratulates you, and you are given the instructions of what room you will get. He resumes then receiving other candidates.

Martin and Macduff have been chosen. Katie seems not.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Aye well, I'm sorry, Miss Wright, I hope it works out for you. I'm off now to see to my room." Macduff gave a polite if slightly curt nod and headed off in search of his room. As he went, he leafed through the paperwork provided by his new employer.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Golly, What are they thinking!” Martin exclaims to Katie. “A woman is just as good as a chap in most situations. And you’re certainly better than most of these decrepit ex- war birds in the queue. Are you going to stick around? Maybe they’ll all die of old age overnight.” He smiles gallantly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you both," says Katie with a smile. "I'll stick around. There's always a chance."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Beyond the Mountains of Madness”