Page 1 of 1

Episode 1 - What hath night to do with sleep?

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
Darren tears off after Charlie, following the brief flashes of movement he glimpses through the mist. Slipping on wet grass, tramping across gravel paths, and eventually sliding down an earth bank. Through the fog the shimmering surface of a body of inky black water appears. In front of it stands Charlie, he turns and looks at Darren.

Charlie doesn't know where he's run to, too distracted by trying to get away from the creature, but Darren is pretty certain they came north-west from the Merry-Go-Round, up to where he remembers there being a boating lake marked on the map.

But while Darren catches his breath, waving to Charlie down by the water. Charlie can see something in the mist beyond Darren. Something moving. Hard to fully resolve, its ill-defined bulky grey shape jerking and twisting in the fog. Loping towards them.

There's a sound, in the distance, further west still. Like voices. It's difficult to make out, but it sounds like shouting. Maybe a child and an adult. 'Don't turn away...'

Re: Episode 1 - What hath night to do with sleep?

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78

Darren looks up, momentarily distracted by what he assumes are voices. He reaches down to grab Charlie, "This way! Come on! and pulls him I the direction of the sound. " There's someone else here, maybe they can help!! HELP! HELP! OVER HERE! He shouts urgently.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:37 pm
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60) 1d100

”Behind you!” Charlie hissed, grabbing ahold of Darren. ”There’s something coming through the fog!”

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
Darren feels something barge past him, pushing against him, exerting an odd force that is disconcertingly yielding, yet firm enough to push him out of the way in a trail of choking smoke. Rushing past him a blurred, grey mass.

Charlie watches it sprint past Darren and charge directly at him. Misshapen hands extend towards him, grasping with distorted fingers at his neck.

OOC:   Charlie needs to roll to Fight Back or Dodge. Darren can act but the creature will get to attack Charlie first.  

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:22 am
by Philulhu

It occurred to Charlie that if he dodged out of the way at the last minute, whatever the hell that thing was, it was going to find itself in the lake! He readied himself to jump…

Dodge (40) 1d100

Ffs! 🙄

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:05 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren looks on in horror as the grey figure reaches for Charlie he charges forward, swinging his baseball bat at the form crying out, "NOOOO!! IAN!!"

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Timing his jump just a second too late, the creature slams into Charlie and grabs him around the neck with cold, stubby hands. He lets out a scream as it presses its featureless face up against his, blocking most of his vision with a wall of grey. A damp, wet smell suffuses his mouth and nose, choking him. Releasing the firm but also oddly soft grip around his neck with one hand it brushes his face and he feels clammy fingers probing inside his mouth, pressing against his palate and sliding to the top of his throat. The taste is wet and bitter but there's more than just the physical sensation - he feels a sort of pressure in his face, like something hard is pushing against...his brain...

Out of the corner of his vision he sees the shape of Darren making a wild swing for the creature that barely seems to connect.

OOC:   That'd be a Fighting (40%) roll for Darren, so a fail.

Charlie needs to roll an opposed POW roll - he has surprisingly high POW but he's going to need to make it a damn good one!  

POW 55%: 1d100 3

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:09 am
by Philulhu

POW (75) 1d100

Regular success 😕

Charlie squirmed against the creature’s grasp but he couldn’t break free and panic welled up inside him as he felt his brain start to go numb…

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 am
by BoyBlunder78
Seeing Charlie struggling in the clutches of the thing, Darren desperately swings his bat again.
OOC:   can you spend luck on an attack roll? Would a regular success help?  

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:08 am
by Mephistophilis
The pressure at the front of Charlie's face - in his sinuses, his teeth, his jaw - it builds and builds, becoming more like a pain. It reaches a crescendo - an exquisite agony that Charlie's doesn't think he can stand any longer...then it's gone. A release.

-----

Pulling back his bat to take another swing, Darren watches Charlie struggling with the creature, its hands are clawing at Charlie's face and neck, he's frozen in a silent scream. Suddenly the creature seems to dive into Charlie's mouth, like smoke being sucked into a
ventilation system. The great bulky form squeezing into the restricted space of his mouth, slipping inside him and disappearing.

-----

In his mouth and throat, Charlie feels a rush of air, or smoke. Cool and wet, buffeting inside him. A cold that burns deeper into a sharp icy throbbing then seems to suffuse out through his body. For a second his head is throbbing again but then he feels confused and disorientated.

You struggle to keep hold of your thoughts. Pictures, images, thoughts, they rush through your mind. Relentlessly, like they're been forced into your head from outside, but you can't resist them. The images flash before you, emotions well up. And you recognise them, remember them. These are memories.

You're lying slumped on the couch, it's dark outside and the lights are down low. You look down at the needle sticking out of your arm. That familiar blissful calm as you inject the bubbling brown liquid - it spreads through your body, relaxing you all over. In the corner of the room you see Barry and the kid. He's shouting at her, he's got a belt in his hand and he's hitting her with it - over, and over. Screaming at her but you can't hear what he's saying.

I should stop him, you think. Poor kid, she's so young, she shouldn't have to go through this again. You try and stand up but you feel too weak. Barry, stop! Leave the kid alone... But it's so quiet. Neither of them hear you. And you don't do anything else, you just sit there and let the drugs wash over you. The shame, oh the burning shame. And the motherly concern. But the numbness is everywhere now, anaesthetising your body and your mind. Emotions, fears, they're just drifting away...

OOC:   That's a 1/1d8 SAN loss.  

-----

Before Darren's blow can even strike the creature, it's gone. There's just Charlie standing there with a look of shock on his face - hands outstretched, grasping in the air for something that's not there. Little whisps of mist or smoke curling from the corners of his mouth.

He blinks a few times, his expression changes. It's weird, it doesn't even look like him. There's a hardness to it. His eyes are unfocused. His posture slumped. There's briefly a look of concern, of distress and he whispers in a strange, high-pitched voice like that of a woman, 'Barry, stop! Leave the kid alone...' Then he goes silent and his expression changes to one of dopey contentment.

-----

Charlie shakes his head. His awareness of the mist around him, of Darren looking at him incredulously, it's starting to come back. He doesn't know what that was but the memories are still with him. They can't be mine. But he can't really distinguish them from any of his other memories. They seem so real!

-----

OOC:   You can spend Luck on attacks - but not this time - there's nothing to hit  

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"What the....?" Darren mutters under his breath at what he's just seen. He runs up to Charlie and grabs him looking I to his eyes "Are you ok Charlie? whose Barry?"

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:33 am
by Philulhu

SAN (74) 1d100

That’s a one point loss.

Barry was… was… …” Charlie started to say before the memories overwhelmed him and he leant forward and vomited, an acrid, liquid stream that spattered his sneakers. He stood there for a moment or two, bent over with his hands on his knees, twin strings of saliva and snot reaching for the ground…

He hawked and spat, staggering back from mess and grabbing ahold of Darren so he didn’t fall. ”I was there! I remember being there! There was a kid - a girl - and Barry was hitting her with his bell and really screaming at her!”

”I don’t know who he is, or even who I was! I was… I was… …” Charlie had never even seen drugs before so just didn’t have the words to properly describe it. He took a deep breath and tried again, ”I was in someone else’s body - a woman - and I’d taken drugs. I’d got a syringe and a needle in my arm. I think the girl was mine, my daughter, I mean. I don’t know who Barry is or why he was hitting her… …”

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:56 am
by BoyBlunder78
Trying to steady Charlie, Darren listens to what the boy says, shaking his head when finishes. " Christ Charlie thats effed up!
Where did that thing go? One minute it was there grabbing you then....?:

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:32 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie opened his mouth to speak but found that he couldn’t bring himself to.

He just tapped on his breastbone, looking glum, indicating that whatever it was, it was inside him… …

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:48 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" What are you saying? Its inside you? How? How do you feel? Can you feel it?" Darren asks as he cautiously takes a step back.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Charlie, you don't feel any different - just...those memories are there. Like they've always been there. Just like all your other memories, even the bad ones...But these memories don't make any sense. You're pretty sure you're not a woman and you haven't got any kids, you're a 12yr old boy! These memories don't fit in with everything else in your life you remember. It's like they're someone else's memories, someone else's horrible, traumatic memories...and now they're stuck in your head.  

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 pm
by Philulhu

”I felt it go in, but I can’t feel it now. I… I don’t really know how to explain it,” said Charlie. ”And that memory in there,” - he tapped the side of his head - ”I can remember it like I remember the first day I moved here, except it happened to some woman, not me. Somehow, I’ve got her memory!”

He shuddered and looked around. ”Let’s get out of here.”

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:41 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Thats weird, sure your ok?" Darren says, concern in his voice. " I thought I heard voices coming from over there, just before smoggy grabbed you."

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:26 am
by Philulhu

Charlie looked down, running his hands over his chest. ”Yeah, I think so. Look, let’s get out of here - this is just too creepy for words!”

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:39 am
by BoyBlunder78
Shining his torch in the direction he thought he heard the voices, Darren cautiously lead the way.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
Walking slowly towards where you heard the voices, you can't make anything out through the fog, but there's an odd smell in the air. The further you walk the stronger it gets. It's an acrid burning smell that starts to sear your throat and make your eyes water. You stop and look around, but you can't tell where it's coming from.

Eventually starting onward again, the shadows in the mist seem to become more defined. Like another ride. And there's something else, a sort of flickering glow in the distance.

Approaching a little more slowly you can finally make out that this is some kind of bumper-car ride, rusted carts litter the floor, and the roof has mostly collapsed in, leaving only the metal frame, covered in a red-brown rust. A sign reads Dodgems. Towards the far side there's a good going fire inside one of the cars, smoke billowing up and out the open roof.

A bit closer and in addition to the ride, and the fire, you can see movement on the grass just outside the ride. A figure stands there, a man, a big man. He's got some kind of broken and twisted metal pole. And he swinging it against the ground. Shouting 'Fuck you!' with each blow. And now you're watching him you can see that he's not just hitting the ground. There's something on the ground, a lump. No, a body. Huddled, small, like a child. And he's smashing it - it looks to be into the head or face - he's hitting it over and over again. There's blood on the end of the pole, there's splashes of blood as he strikes the body.

Then he looks up.

Stares at you. His expression is contorted in a crazed grimace, a mixture of emotions, anger, maybe fear as well. There's tattoos across his arms, up his neck. He's dressed in a bomber jacket, filthy white T-shirt, jeans and work boots. Muscular but turned to fat. And he smiles, smiles at you both.

You know him. You remember him. It's Barry!

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
You stare back at the man in trepidation, and he smiles even wider.

Then there's a movement. From the ground. The body on the ground moves. A hand flies up, there's something in the hand, flashing like a knife. And it's buried in the back of the man's leg.

He gives a shout and staggers back in confusion. Lifting the twisted pole up, looking around him in anger and pain.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:10 am
by BoyBlunder78
Raising his bat Darren whispers to Charlie," What the Fuck!, back away slowly.
..."

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:39 pm
by Philulhu

Barry!” hissed Charlie. ”It’s Barry from that dream! Let’s get out of here!”

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:00 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren's head snapped round at Charlie.."What the?...How?..." He started to say but caught the look in his eyes and quickly tailed off. Simply nodding he followed after him.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:22 pm
by Mephistophilis
Blood spurts from the wound in the back of the man's leg. He grabs at the injury and it oozes between his fingers. He looks angry and confused at the same time. Looking between you and the body in front of him. Paralysed in inaction.

From the figure on the ground you hear something, a weak voice, only just audible. Help me!

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:49 pm
by Philulhu
Is it a voice Charlie recognises?

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Hard Notice Stuff to recognise the voice  

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:54 am
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60) 1d100 🙄

Try as he might, Charlie couldn’t work out if he’d heard the voice before… …

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:41 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Oh shit! We gotta do something!Barry, was he the bad man In your 'memory'?" Darren asked Charlie.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
The voice Charlie hears, it sounds like maybe a child. There's something in the tone that might be familiar but it's so weak be can't really say for certain.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:47 am
by Philulhu

Something in the voice was familiar to Charlie. He tried to remember but the thoughts twisted and dissipated like trying to take ahold of fog!

No matter who it was though, they were in danger. ”Let’s get them outa there,” said Charlie firmly.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:48 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Okay, I'll distract him and you can go round and help whoever." Darren nods toCharlie
"OI!! BARRY!!! YA BIG PALOOKA!!!! He shouts.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
The man staggers back and forth, one hand on his bleeding leg, the other swinging the bloody pole in front of him. At the shout he turns sharply back towards Darren and Charlie, his expression spasming between an angry snarl and a look of confusion and hurt.

While the man seems distracted there's a flurry of movement from the small figure on the ground. They roll to the side and slowly climb to their feet with great difficulty. You definitely think there's something familiar about that figure, the way they move. They're the size of a child, maybe a pre-teen of ten or eleven. But even from here...the face! You can't even fully understand it, the child doesn't have a face, or at least, not anymore. Just a ragged, bloody concavity, maybe you can just about make out, is that an eye? And a dark opening gapes, revealing a few bloody stumps of teeth - maybe what's left of the mouth - but the lips are curled outwards and half the remaining teeth seem to point the wrong way. You've seen horror films before - but this, this isn't anything like that. This is what reality looks like and it is too much for your mind to fully comprehend. Nothing should look like this - someone should put this out of its misery.

OOC:   Okay - that's a SAN roll 0/1d3 to see the kid's smashed up face.

Darren - to get that guy to come after you that'd be a Taunt roll - you can have a bonus die for being so annoying and another bonus die for using the name Barry - but you only have 5% whereas Charlie has 60% - so you're welcome to switch roles if you'd like.  

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   pass...seen worse....alot...worse  
OOC:   I'm up for the swap, slight change in plan if Charlie distracts him, Darren could move round and blindside him?  

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   If Charlie is going to Taunt - can he roll Taunt plus also a POW check.  

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:54 am
by Philulhu

SAN (73) 1d100
Taunt (60) 1d100
POW (60) 1d100

For some reason, the kid’s face didn’t bother Charlie. Perhaps because the whole thing seemed so unreal? Nevertheless, they were going to try to distract Barry so the kid could get away.

Charlie wanted to say something cutting, something that really would get under Barry’s skin so he could help but be distracted. Unfortunately, his voice reverted to pre-teen mode and he squeaked, ”Hey, mister! You smell!”

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
Trying not to look too closely at the kid's battered face, Charlie goes to shout an insult that he hopes will grab the attention of the hulking man, but as the words come to his lips his heart sinks, his voice comes out high-pitched, feminine even. The words he intends sound lame even before he's spoken them. Then...

'Barry, what are you doing? Leave the kid alone...'

Charlie hears the voice. Darren hears the voice. But it isn't Charlie speaking, it's a woman, it's that woman's voice again. And it's coming from Charlie. Quiet to start but getting louder, ending in a shriek.

Barry freezes. Looks even more perplexed. He turns his head at different angles, scrutinising Charlie. 'What'd you say?' Then he stumbles a few steps towards him. 'Karen, Karen, is that you?' He looks more frantic now and shuffles forward a few more feet. The pole hanging loose by his side now.

OOC:   Barry looks pretty distracted. Darren will be able to act...  

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren momentarily distracted himself at what he's just seen/ heard, sees the opportunity to.act. "Keep talking and backing away Charlie I'm gonna get to the kid then try and hit that
prick from.behind. 3 on 1 are better odds"
He then makes his way around to he kid.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:26 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie nodded, and continued to back away. He didn’t want to speak - he didn’t want to hear the woman’s voice again - but needed to keep Barry distracted and on edge.

”Why did you do it, Barry?! Why?!” he said in as firm a voice as he could manage.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 pm
by aine
"Daz? Is that...? I... can't see..."
The boy, who is quite chubby under his camouflage-style clothing puts his hands out towards the boys and then falls to his knees.
"Why can't I see you?"

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:59 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Lou....Louis....? Darren gasps and rushes forward.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
Still looking confused, Barry tips his head from side to side, looking at Charlie, scrutinising him. 'Were're you gone Karen?' he hisses. 'Why'd you bring me here?' he asks in a plaintive voice.

-----

Running around Barry, Darren rushes up to the injured child. It could be Louis. He's the right shape, and through all the blood the clothes look right. Up close his injuries don't look quite so bad. Still pretty awful though, one eye socket is a gaping bloody mess, the nose is flattened against his face, mouth a raw gash of broken teeth. But from here, he does look an awful lot like Louis. Oh Louis, what has he done to you?

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:50 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie looked around. ”Here? Where’s here, Barry? Where the hell are we?!”

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:13 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Holding onto the fact that this could be Louis, Darren bends down to help him get this feet. "Louis what the fuck have you got us into now?! Can you stand? I've gotta help Charlie." He says as he looks over to them.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Where are we?' Barry starts giggling hysterically, 'We're in Funland of course.' He spins around holding out his arms, and throws his head back to stare up into the darkness. 'Funland, where you can never leave.' Then he looks back at Charlie and his face darkens. 'Never leave.' His body tenses up, lip curls into a snarl. 'And you brought me here Karen.' He emphasis the name Karen and hefts up the metal pole as he says it, holding it between his hands. Fixating Charlie with an intense stare.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:24 am
by BoyBlunder78
Propping Louis against one of the cars, Darren starts to sneak up behind Barry, but raised. Thinking of hitting his legs to slow him down.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:44 pm
by aine
Louis lies still, trying to calm himself and recover. He can vaguely make out the fuzzy shapes of the others, their voices seem one minute far away, the next too loud. He can feel loose teeth with his tongue.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:08 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie was getting angry. Barry was behaving like a real dick! ”I’m not Karen and I didn’t bring you here, Barry,” he snapped.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 pm
by Mephistophilis

Shaking his head and blinking his eyes, Barry's glazed expression seems to clear. He snarls at Charlie, 'No. You're right. You're not Karen. You're just some little punk!' And he advances towards Charlie menacingly, hefting the jagged pole between his bulging arms.

Behind Barry, Darren stands out of his view, seemingly out of his awareness. The man's back exposed to him...

OOC:   Darren can take a hit at Barry. Since he's unawares you're rolling to see if you fumble/crit. I'd suggest we're then going into initiative order - Darren will get a second action, then Charlie, then Barry, then Louis.  

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
  not a fumble at least....  

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   That's still a hit because he's completely unawares. I think you roll 1d8 damage with your bat.  

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
  Well that fits....  

Darren creeping up behind Barry swings his bat at his knees, seeking to at least hinder his movement.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:35 pm
by aine
Is Louis able to do much or is he too wounded/blinded?

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Darren swings his bat at the back of Barry's legs, but he barely connects and the end of it just clips his knee. Barry swings around and gives Darren a sinister grin. 'You're gonna pay for that you little shit,' and he hefts the metal pole above his head with both hands.

OOC:   Louis can act but he can't engage in any fighting. But he can roll CON and if he passes he can engage in combat as well...if he wants.  

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:28 am
by Philulhu

Is there anything Charlie can grab as a weapon?

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:20 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Roll Luck if you're after a weapon  

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:22 am
by Philulhu
Luck (73) 1d100

Edit: Balls…

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:53 pm
by aine
Louis sits peering ahead of him. He sees the weird skinny boy looking around frantically and his fingers curl possessively around the hilt of his precious hunting knife.
Go on, fella. He whispers and then throws it towards Charlie. “Hey!”” He whispers fiercely.
CON roll:32 Throw: 09. I don’t have Louis’ stats with me but I reckon those are passes. btw, Knife does 1d6 damage

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:24 am
by Philulhu

Charlie started as he heard the knife skittering across the floor towards him but, recognising what the weapon was, he scooped it up and held it ready, in case Barry decided to get any closer.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:59 pm
by Mephistophilis

Bellowing, Barry charges forward, hefting the pole and swinging it like an oversized baseball bat - with Darren's head as the ball.

'Batter, batter, swing...'

OOC:   Darren and Charlie get to act before Barry can connect with Darren.  

There's some shouting - it's not loud but it's coming from the direction of the carousel - sounds like Darren...Charlie...

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:08 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   I take it that it would be Gym Class to dodge?  
Oh....dear....

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:13 am
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60) 1d100

With Barry distracted, Charlie hoped he wouldn’t notice as he slipped in on his flank and tried to stab him in the thigh with his newly-acquired knife…

Fighting (30) 1d100

Shitrolls-r-us strikes again! 🙄

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:35 pm
by aine
Im role playing that Louis doesn’t notice anything.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Barry charges past Charlie, his knife thrust left hanging in the air. Before he gets to Darren he slows down slightly and pulls back the pole, clearly taking aim at Darren's head which wears a look of shock and surprise.

Letting out a guttural roar he swings the pole hard at Darren, and it impacts him with an audible crunch, throwing him backwards in an explosion of pain.

Turning away, back towards Charlie, Barry has a broad grin across his face - he lifts his arms up in triumph and shouts, 'And the crowd goes wild!'

Staggering back, Darren is able to start to collect his thoughts. The impact was not quite as bad as he'd though. The pole didn't hit his head, the end caught against the side of his chest. It hurts really bad and every breath brings a sharp, stabbing pain in the side. But he's still up and moving.

OOC:   That's 3HP damage to Darren - could have been a lot worse!
Now back to you to act - Darren, Charlie, Barry, then Louis.  

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:34 am
by BoyBlunder78
Staggering back, gasping for breath Darren looks back towards Louis, then to Charlie as Barry lurches towards them. All that's going through his head is that he can't let anything happen to his friends. He has flashbacks to the Barnaker house, to Kyle, to Ian, his hand instinctively going to his jacket pocket. He raises his bat and charges again at Barry

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:43 am
by Philulhu

This was serious! Barry didn’t care that they were just kids!

With the knife held ready, Charlie approached Barry, trying to see an opening, to try to stop him before he killed them all!

Fighting (30) 1d100

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Need a Fighting roll for Darren  

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:50 pm
by BoyBlunder78
  Well....better than last time.......  

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 pm
by Philulhu
We’re getting battered. It may be time to retreat!

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:10 am
by BoyBlunder78
  if i survive this round.......  

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Charlie and Darren both close on Barry from opposite sides. He glances back and forth between them, the smile on lips turns into a sneer. He starts hefting the pole from hand to hand, swinging it dangerously first towards Darren and then towards Charlie. Darren raises his baseball bat and launches himself at Barry but the big man easily moves to the side and, as the boy's momentum carries him past, he brings the jagged pole crashing down onto the back of Darren's neck.

Darren feels the sharp pain before he even sees the pole swinging in the periphery of his vision. There's a crunch, he both feels it and hears it, then an agonising shooting pain like fire that spreads up into the back of his skull and down through his spine and into his arms and legs. His legs crumple beneath him like they're made of jelly and he can only watch as his face thuds into the dirt, unable to lift his arms to protect himself. All Darren can see is a throbbing red glow that seems to melt into the excruciating pain that suffuses his skull. Curiously he can't seem to feel anything in his legs or anywhere below his chest - like it's gone numb or isn't there at all. He tries to move his head, to look up, to see if Barry's going to finish the job. But it seems impossible, any movement completely beyond him, all his strength drained. He very slightly begins to turn his neck and then...black.

After his perfect swing connects with the back of Darren's neck, Darren crumples to the ground like a ragdoll. Barry leers at Charlie, 'Huh, I guess that's a home run!' he laughs.

Outraged by what he's seen, Charlie takes his chance to hurl himself towards Barry, to try and jab at him with the knife. But Barry just laughs some more and pushes him away easily with the end of the pole, swinging it half heartedly at him as he staggers away, failing to make contact with the reverse end.

OOC:   Darren takes 10HP more - that's a Major Wound - he's currently unconscious and is 'dying' and needs First Aid. Roll CON to see whether he has any chance of regaining consciousness again.  

As the fighting goes on around you, your vision begins to clear. You can see Darren collapsed face down in the mud, and Charlie staggering away from a swaggering Barry. You force open one eye and then another, it's still a bit blurry but you seem to be able to see out of both eyes now. Holding one hand to your face you gingerly probe the lips, and teeth - they seem less damaged that you'd thought, like the swelling and distortion from Barry's blow has started to subside a bit. Feeling your nose it seems less tender, straighter.

OOC:   Reset your HP to full health and lose the Major Wound  

Fighting back 50%: 1d100 39
Damage: 1d8+1d4 10
Fighting Brawl 50%: 1d100 91
Fighting Brawl 50%: 1d100 82

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
  Made it by Snarfs ball hair.....  

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:22 am
by Philulhu

Charlie knew he couldn’t run and leave Darren behind. Barry would beat him to death!

He tried to remember how the woman sounded, how she’d spoken. He tried to channel her in the faint hope of gaining an advantage. ”What are doing, Barry? Look at the mess you’ve made of that poor boy.” He kept the knife down by his side and out of sight, and he tried to speak as calmly as possible, although his heart was racing.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Charlie roll Be a Pal, Be Bossy, or Taunt  

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:56 am
by Philulhu

Taunt (60) 1d100

Edit: Fkn dice roller!

Charlie wasn’t convinced he’d got the voice right…

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:11 pm
by aine

Louis rubs his eyes gingerly, his vision clears a bit, just in time to see the club connect with Darren's head and Darren crumple to the ground. When Darren doesn't get up, Louis crawls towards him and turns him over. Hoping, he'll be hidden in the shadows.
"It's just a flesh wound, Daz." Louis attempts to put him in the recovery position (as they'd been shown in class last summer) and pulls out a handkerchief to mop Darren's head.
Spoiler:
First aid: 40 roll: 06%

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:05 pm
by Mephistophilis

Glancing at Charlie, Barry just spits 'Fuck off Karen, you're not real...' He flings his metal pole at Charlie but it clatters to the dirt in front of him. Barry sinks down to the ground and hugs his knees. 'Nothing here's real...' He starts rocking. 'Can't do nothing...can't change nothing...can't get out...'

Louis scrabbles over to Darren's immobile form. Blood streaming from the wound in the back of his head. Pooling under his chin and mixing with the dirt to form a sticky, muddy puddle. He looks over his friend, feeling helpless about what to do. Until eventually he sees the slight rise of his chest and realises Darren is still breathing. With what is left his his strength he rolls Darren onto his side, there's an excruciating moment where his head lags behind the rolling body and Louis hears an audible clicking or grinding sound. Taking out a grubby old handkerchief from his pocket he applies pressure to the back of Darren's head, trying to staunch the flow of blood.

There's a blackness - a sort of warm emptiness. It feels comfortable. You're content. There was something you wanted to do, the memory is just on the edge of awareness. And then the blackness turns sort of fuzzy. At the edges of vision. Shapes, movement. Pain. Oh the pain! It explodes from the back of your head and forces your consciousness into sharp, agonising relief. Just about able to make out someone beside you, putting pressure on the back of your neck. But something doesn't feel right. For all the pain in your head and neck there's an absence. A numbness. And a sudden rising sense of panic. You can't feel your arms, or your legs. You can't move them. Nothing. You can't feel anything below your neck.

Throw 20%: 1d100 34

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:56 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie edged forward and carefully picked up the pipe before backing away again and circling around to Darren and the boy he had called Louis.

”Shit! He looks in a bad way!” he said, looking down at Darren in despair.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Panic building, all Darren can think of is...
  Wiggle my toes.....got to wiggle my toes......why....can't.....i?....must wiggle....."  

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Darren!" cries Harry, running up to him to try to help him. "What happened?!"

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:18 am
by Philulhu

”He did it!” said Charlie, pointing at Barry with the metal pipe.

He looked at Harry, then pulled him in closer so he could whisper, ”I don’t know what to do for him! He could die!”

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 am
by Snapper

"Oh good god! He needs first aid! Does anyone know any first aid stuff?"

"And who the hell is that maniac? Did he do this? Who is he? And ... What is that?"
Max looked at Louis, his voice getting very high pitched.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:59 pm
by Philulhu

”I think I heard Darren call him Louis,” said Charlie. He knelt down next to Darren, to see if there was anything he could do…

First Aid (30%) 1d100

Edit: nope! 🙄

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
Darren lies floppily in Louis's lap. He's covered in blood but the bloodied rag that Louis has pressed against the back of his head seems to have staunched the bleeding.

Barry continues to sit in the dirt, rocking.

OOC:   Darren - why don't you roll me a POW to see if you can move your toes  

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry is too panicky to be of much help.

First Aid roll (42% skill) to treat Darren:
d%

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:47 am
by Snapper

1d%Fd30%

Success. Just.  
Max's knowledge of first aid was entirely book-based but he dived in and did his best with a handkerchief and bits of torn-off clothing. "We'll have you good as new in no time, don't you worry Darren."

"Is someone watching the crazy guy?"

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
  Here goes..................
Jaga be praised......  

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:07 am
by Philulhu

Realising that others were better equipped to help Darren, Charlie stood and watched Barry warily. He really hoped that he didn’t try anything for although he had the metal pipe, Barry was an adult and still much bigger than him.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:23 pm
by aine
Louis helps where he can but he’s puzzled why Darren is in such a bad way.
Louis rolled an extreme success when he initially administered first aid

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:28 am
by Snapper
Sorry! Totally failed to see that Louis had already succeeded with the first aid. Missed that post.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:54 pm
by Mephistophilis

Barry is still sitting there, rocking, shouting to himself. 'It's the fucking clown...the fucking clown,' his crazed look is replaced by one of misery. He adopts a strangely familiar growling voice, 'Give up your lies if you wanna be free...Gotta give up your lies Barry.'

-----

Darren looks to be in a really bad way. He's just lying across Louis's knees. Floppy. Not moving. He's breathing but not showing any other signs of life. But then...slowly...there's movement. It's difficult to notice at first, but then you can see his feet wiggling, then his hands. Eventually he opens his eyes, and gives a weak smile.

You're starting to get some feelings back in your arms and legs - it's an unpleasant tingling sensation like when you've leant on it too long. Your head and neck is still throbbing but it's a little bit duller now. You force open your eyes to see your friends crowded around you looking concerned. You're lying across Louis's lap and he's staring down at you in concern.

It's weird. He doesn't look so bad as he did. Apart from the blood encrusted on his skin he actually looks unharmed. You blink your eyes to clear your vision but his appearance doesn't change. He's got better!

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, that clown said the same thing to Max," says Harry. "I wouldn't trust the clown. He did tell us where our friends were, but he doesn't have our best interests at heart."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:13 am
by Snapper

"I'm not going to trust any clown ever again!"

"What do we do with this crazy guy? Tie him up? Whatever we do, we need to get Darren to hospital or call an ambulance. Which means getting out of here, I guess."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:54 am
by Philulhu

”I don’t know that I want to get near him again,” said Charlie. ”I don’t think he’s going to do any further damage now.”

He couldn’t be sure but he didn’t want to be anywhere within reach of Barry, even if he now held the pipe which had been used on Louis and Darren.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 am
by Snapper

Max looked at the crazy man again. "OK, I don't disagree with you," he said to Charlie.

He looked over at Louis, horrified. "Umm, I don't know your name but ... Do you want us to try to bandage you up as well ... ?" Max actually wasn't sure that anything could be done but politeness forced him to ask the question at least.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:42 am
by Mephistophilis
Max studies Louis face. He's caked in dried on blood, it's smeared across his skin and encrusted in his hair. Livid welts and bruises are visible across his face and around his eyes in particular. It's superficially repellent, but the closer he looks the more he realises that the boy has no major injuries. His skin isn't broken despite the blood. There's no evidence of any fractures or significant contusions. If he was beaten about the head as it appears he was, he's been very, very lucky to escape serious injury.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is my friend, Louis," says Harry, doing what he can to help him. "Darren and I came here to meet him. We survived the Barnaker House together last year, and we'll survive this."

First Aid roll (42% skill) treating Louis's injury:
d%

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:25 am
by Philulhu

”What the hell’s the Barnaker House?” said Charlie. ”And you’ve been through this shit before?!”

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
Still hazy, Darren looks at Louis. "Hey pal, long time no see.Harry and me have came to get ya.....Wheres Wendy?" Although he can see that Louis is looking better, Darren puts it down maybe he wasn't as bad as he thought he was, maybe in the dark he didn't see properly or maybe he's still groggy from the beating he just took from that kid beating asshole.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"The Barnaker House burned down last year," says Harry. "Similar things happened, but not the same. We killed the witch that was behind it all, but she's back now and is responsible for all this." He turns to Louis. "I think he means Shirley. Yeah, where is she?"

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:47 am
by BoyBlunder78
  of course Shirley...that blow to the head must've really scrambled my noggin...... :oops:  

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:17 am
by Snapper

"Whoa, Louis, you looked much worse just a minute ago."

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:10 pm
by aine
“Daz….. you’re okay?” Louis sobs as he stares at his friend’s face. “I thought you were a gonner- when you didn’t move.”
After Max administers the first aid he looks up at the others as he touches his face gingerly.
“Yeah, you know, it doesn’t actually feel too bad. I think I lost a tooth but…. Hey, who are you guys? What are you doing with Daz and Harry? And where’s Shirley? My name’s Louis- I’m in Darren’s gang.”

Louis is a fat kid wearing Walmart camouflage clothing. His trainers are cheap and worn.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:27 pm
by Philulhu

”I’m Charlie,” said Charlie.

”Do you think we can get out of here?!”

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We found a way out of the Barnaker House," says Harry. "We defeated the witch before, we can do it again. We know her weaknesses: fire and silver."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:23 am
by Snapper

"I'm Max, I moved here not that long ago."

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:08 am
by Philulhu

”So we’re fighting a witch?” asked Charlie. ”Have we got any fire or silver?”

He tried to think if he had anything silver on him but couldn’t be sure.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:07 am
by BoyBlunder78
  So whats my physical condition now? Can i move a little? Talk?  

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
Darren is able to move a little more now, enough to sit up. He still feels weak and he isn't quite sure he's up to standing yet. But he feels a whole lot better than he did a few minutes ago.

You can heal back up to 4HP - still have a Major Wound

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"I brought matches," says Harry, "and we can go through our pocket change. Any dimes, quarters, or half dollars from before 1965 are 90 percent silver. Of course, they're hard to find. People tend to hoard them when they find them."

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:37 am
by Philulhu

Charlie emptied his pockets and started going through his change.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:44 am
by BoyBlunder78
Propping himself up on his elbows Darren looks up at Louis. "Good to see ya pal. What ya been upto? How long uave you been here? Have you seen Shirley?"

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:07 pm
by aine
Louis takes back his knife and checks it for blood. He cleans it competently. He checks the compass is still working.
“I was doing alright until I came here. I saw a kid with a balloon and thought it was you guys so I followed him into the fair.”
Louis stops for a moment, remembering.
“And then it got really spooky and there was this clown who gave me a balloon too. And there was this machine whirly gig thing that chased me and then I saw that guy with the iron bar.
I thought he might be a friend.”
“And no, I haven’t seen Shirley.”

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:32 pm
by Mephistophilis

The fire in the bumper car is starting to die down a little. Barry is still sitting there muttering to himself, largely incoherently but you pick up a few words here and there.

'No way out...no way out...not ending up like her, no...can't even die...can't even die...not going down there...I'm not going down there...got to give up your lies...give up your lies...'

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:17 am
by Philulhu

Charlie glanced at Barry, then the others. ”What’s he talking about? Do we question him?” he asked.

He hefted the iron bar, shifting his grip in case he was forced to use it.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"He is dangerous," says Harry, "but he may know something. The difficulty is making sense of what he says. This may have to do with what we found in the car in the parking lot. We saw the clown kid too, and the big clown. Neither one of them is to be trusted."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:58 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren nodded, "Yeah, we saw the creepy kid too,thought it was you.....thats how we go in here. "Looking to Harry, "I don't think this is thw witch. That was all bugs and candles, those creepy lights outside, this place feels different. That grey thing caught Charlie and did something to him, not like Roger though. What happened with the big clown?".His hand reaching into his pocket.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:11 pm
by Snapper

Max looked at Charlie in concern. "The mirror monster thing caught you? Are you OK? Did it hurt you? We were going to try to catch it with these mirrors we got, but then we couldn't find you guys."

Max also tried to recall everything he'd read in books and comics about how to defeat witches.  
1d%pFF60%

Fail.  

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:11 pm
by Philulhu

”I think so, yeah,” said Charlie. ”I have a woman’s memories. A woman called…” He paused, not wanting to mention the woman’s name, lest it set Barry off again.

”Anyway, she was jacking up while Barry was beating some kid with a belt. It was like I was there - not like I’d seen a picture or a movie, but like her actual memories of what happened…”

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:00 am
by Snapper

Max mouthed the words "jacking up", looking puzzled, but said no more about that.

"There are legends about how a person's soul can become trapped in a mirror after they die. Maybe that smoke monster thing was her soul, and when it touched you, you saw her real memories?"

OOC:   Do we still have the mirrors we collected?  

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:00 am
by Philulhu
Not sure if it’s a UK expression, but jacking up is to inject heroin.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"The big clown gave us balloons," says Harry. "Only I don't remember actually taking mine. I let it go. He also told us where to find you, but we didn't believe him at first. I saw the witch, in this mirror." He shows it to the others. "She's dead, but some part of her must live on in some other dimension."

Thanks! My British is good, but I hadn't heard that one before.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 am
by Snapper
Yeah, means the same here too (unfortunately). My image of Max though is a 12 year old who is not familiar with that sort of street slang. Unless it routinely appeared in a Marvel or DC comic in the 1980s.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:41 am
by Snapper

Experimentally, Max held out the wing mirror he'd previously collected. He turned its reflective face towards Charlie. Cautiously, he moved the wing mirror closer until the reflective face touched Charlie.

"Worth a try."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:42 am
by Philulhu

”Hey! What are you trying to do?!” yelped Charlie nervously, backing up and trying to get away from the mirror.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:06 am
by aine
“Wait!” Louis holds up his hand. “There were mirrors in the Barnaker house, remember. You could walk through them and come out in a different room.
“They were bigger than that wing mirror.” He says defensively, misreading the others’ expressions.

“And, the witch could talk in your head- as different people. It was my dead grandma at first but now…”
He looks at Charlie suspiciously.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:31 am
by BoyBlunder78
Yeah, it was always as people we trust and thst bitch kept trying to split us up...when she got Ian alone and got him through the mirror...and i couldn't each him......." Darren pauses...."This is different...no voices in our heads....something came out the mirror we broke and chased us plus Charlie didnt know the person or people in his...vision."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I remember that from the house," says Harry. "These mirrors are too small to enter, but she can still work through them."

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 am
by Snapper

"Ummm... I was just thinking maybe this mirror could suck those weird memories back out of Charlie. No harm meant, Charlie. But this is all way more complicated. What do you all think, no experimenting with mirrors for now?"

Max cast another anxious glance at the madman. "Darren, can you walk?"

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:21 am
by Philulhu

”Yeah, no more mirrors!” snapped Charlie, who was distinctly unimpressed with Max’s little experiment.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking up at Max, Darren stutters, I...I think so....Can someone give me a hand up? My bat!....Where's my bat?.....i can use it like a crutch for now."

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

Harry helps Darren to his feet and looks around for his bat.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:13 am
by Snapper

Max looked back at Charlie. "Hey, I'm just trying to fix the problem. No more mirrors? I wasn't the one who threw a rock at a mirror and broke it to set a monster free."

As he said this, Max was in fact stuffing the wing mirror into his backpack.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:07 am
by Philulhu

”That wasn’t me! That was him!” snapped Charlie, pointing at Darren.

He watch suspiciously as Max put the mirror in his backpack. ”What you planning to do with that?” he asked.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:14 pm
by aine
“Ur, Guys…” Louis climbs to his feet. “Please don’t argue. We need to stick together if we want to get out of here.”
He uncaps the end of his knife and looks at the tiny button compass in the hilt.
“North is that way.”

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 am
by Philulhu

”As long as he doesn’t stick any more mirrors in my face then we’re good,” said Charlie evenly.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's keep moving," says Harry.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Where you going?  

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we should head northeast, to where the roller coaster starts," suggests Harry. "The controls will be there, and it's the coaster tracks that are blocking our exit. Maybe we'll be able to use them to make a way out of here."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Yeah Max!That was me! I broke the mirror because thats what we did at the Barnaker place, thays whst worked there! Thats what i mean about the rules changing Harry, why I'm not sure its that witch bitch!" Darren says as he leans on his bat.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I saw her in the mirror," says Harry.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:24 am
by Snapper

Max looked up at what Harry said. "Great Scott! I saw a woman's face in the mirror too. Older woman, salt and pepper hair. I didn't know who she was but there was something a little bit creepy about her."

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   I'm just letting you guys chat until you tell me you're going somewhere. Or Barry pulls himself together...  

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:06 am
by Philulhu

”Come on, let’s get out of here,” said Charlie, keeping a watchful eye on Barry.

”Northeast, right?”

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Harry.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:02 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Doesn't sound like our witch bitch" Darren says to Harry after Max's description, before nodding his head at the idea of going north east.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
You leave Barry sitting on the ground, rocking and quietly sobbing. Northeast from the Dodgems brings you along the edge of the Boating Lake again. Your flashlight beams occasionally sweeping across the dark water, picking up the shapes of vegetation swaying softly, deep beneath the surface. Occasionally you can make out the unsettling shapes far below, pale and slender forms rising from darker bulks hidden in amongst the detritus - old swan-boats sunk to the bottom long ago. And every now and again there's the suggestion of movement, slow, writhing, squirming. The plants must be moving somehow, in an odd way. Perhaps there are unknowable currents at the bottom stirring them up.

-----

Eventually another shape materialises through the fog. Garish colours now faded with the ravages of time. Walking around to the front of the building you can see it is a funhouse, now derelict and dark. The facade is a giant clown face, his mouth the entrance. A sign announces Mr. Fun’s House of Hilarity. Somehow the gaping mouth seems to swallow up your flashlight beams and you can't make out what is inside the entrance. But from the outside you can see all the usual slides and cylinders you'd expect across multiple levels, although obviously nothing is moving anymore. There's even a few mirrors visible, reflecting back a gleam from your flashlights.

Turning to the others you count four of them. Where's Dirk?

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:58 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie looked around. Dirk?!” he called, but not too loudly so as not to attract the wrong sort of attention.

”Where the hell did he go?!”

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry shines his flashlight back the way they came, looking around for Dirk.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 am
by Snapper

"Dirk was with us when that horrible clown spoke to us.
Did he keep up when we headed back to the other guys?"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am
by Philulhu

”I don’t think he was with you when we met Barry,” said Charlie. ”Where were you before that?”

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Oh shit! Its happening again!" Darren gasps, looking around. DIRK! DIRK!" He cries out, his hand reaching into his jacket pocket.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm
by Philulhu

”What do you mean, ‘It’s happening again’?” asked Charlie.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am
by Snapper

"We have to go back for Dirk. Back to the carousel, back to where the clown was, if necessary."

Max pulled out his orienteering compass. "We headed north-west then north-east to get here. So we need to go south to get back." He pointed south.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Harry. "We all have to stick together, no matter what. That's what the witch did before at the Barnaker House. She separated us. We have a better chance if we're all together."

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am
by Snapper
Apologies, I forgot the party had moved on to the House of Hilarity. I've edited the last post slightly to make more sense.

"We should hopefully be able to find the path heading south again, and that will take us back to the carousel."

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Everyone keep eyes on each other! Stay close! At the Barnaker house even though we all stuck together, the witch took Kyle and........ withut anyone of us noticing!!!] Darren said, trying to control the panic and tear he could feel rising.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 am
by Philulhu

”Ok, Ok, let’s just calm down a moment. Everyone take a deep breath,” said Charlie. ”We don’t want anyone rushing off and leaving anyone else behind.”

He waited until everyone was focused and said, ”Ok, let’s go find Dirk.”

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry nods, sticking close to the others and lighting the way with his flashlight.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:51 am
by aine
Louis nods and, looking at his compass, starts leading the way. “South east?”

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:28 pm
by Philulhu

”South,” said Charlie firmly. ”Look just follow the path and nobody wander off and we’ll be fine.”

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Everyone should at least have eye contact with someone else, and if anyone sees, hears or even thinks of something odd, no matter how bat crap it may seem, you tell someone!! Do not leave the group!!" Darrensays sternly as he looks arujdat everyone.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
With Louis's compass you're able to find the path south, back towards the entrance. Back towards the Merry-Go-Round. The fog is thick and you can make out little beyond the dim glow cast by your flashlights - it's like walking through a tunnel - whatever is beyond the light is nothing but muffled sounds and faint sense of dread. You don't see or hear any sign of Dirk, even repeating his name out loud - as loud as you dare. As annoying as he is you don't want to lose Dirk in the darkness of the park.

When you find the carousel you begin to make out shapes in amongst the broken poles and stacks of mirrors. There are figures standing on the carousel. One of them is a child and the other looks like Mr Fun, but he's gone before you can reach him. Getting closer to the ride, it's Dirk. He's standing directly in front of a large mirror. Looking into it. Inside there's one of those grey shapes, formless hands pressed up against the glass.

Dirk's just standing there. Staring. He looks...different somehow. Smaller? Paler? Drained?. That relentless cheekiness, cheeriness, the zest for life. It's gone. He's just staring into the mirror. And whatever that is in the mirror is looking back. Tipping its ill-defined head to one side, like it's trying to communicate in some way, clawing at the glass, trying to get out. A great gaping emptiness opening in the face, like a mouth...like a scream. And Dirk's just muttering. 'He said you gotta give up your lies. Give up your lies Dirk. I told him, I told him something about Richie. I told him something. What was it?'

You're sure that was Mr Fun. How many other creepy clowns can there be here? But he didn't look right. Well, even less right than he looked before. There's was something odd about him. His shape. You only got a glimpse through the mist but there seemed to be shapes behind him. Like machinery, coming out of him.

OOC:   Another SAN check - 0/1d3  

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:05 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie paused. He wasn’t in a rush to get too close, given his previous experience with mirrors. ”What’s he doing?” he whispered.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's Mr. Fun!" cries Harry, alarmed. "There's something strange about him. There are machine parts sticking out of him, like he's a cyborg or something!"

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) at the merry-go-round:
d%
Sanity roll (current level 28) for seeing Mr. Fun:
d%
Sanity loss:
1d6/2

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:13 am
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Fail.  
"Great Scott!" Max looked in alarm from Dirk to Harry and back. He looked about wildly for the clown for a few seconds then focused back on the more immediate problem.

"Legends say mirrors can trap souls. Could Dirk's soul have been trapped?"

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:34 am
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60) 1d100

Edit: SAN check (73) 1d100

”How do we break the spell?!” asked Charlie. ”I want to get outa here before that creepy clown come back!”

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe get between him and the mirror," says Harry, "without looking at it ourselves. If he can't see it, maybe that will snap him out of it."

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:35 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Are there any skill rolls the PCs could make that might assist? Spooky Stuff?
Science Class even?  

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:09 am
by Philulhu

”How about we cover his eyes instead?” suggested Charlie. ”That seems safer than getting any closer to that mirror!”

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"That could work," says Harry.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:46 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Maybe put your mirror in between Dirk and the oher mirror?" Darren says to Max, "But be careful approaching him, sont wanna give him too big a shock! We need to keep Bozo the clown there distracted!"
Even as he was saying this, he couldn't take his eyes of Mr Fun, he looked odd, moving like a marionette he thought as he saw what he thought were mechanisms coming out of his back.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:  
Snapper wrote:Are there any skill rolls the PCs could make that might assist? Spooky Stuff?
Science Class even?
You suggest something and roll - I'll tell you what you think of.  

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:24 pm
by Snapper

1d%pFF60%

Fail.  
None of his horror comic collection had a good suggestion for this current situation. Max decided to go with the earlier idea. He pulled out the wing mirror and held it between Dirk and the big mirror, reflecting the spooky mirror monster thing back on itself.

Spoiler:
The wing mirror reflective face is pointing to the other mirror.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:54 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren walks slowly to Dirk, placing himself between him and Mr Fun.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Reflection and refraction of light is simple physics, thinks Harry. I should know the best way to do this.

Science Class roll (80% skill) about reflections:
d%

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:27 pm
by aine
Louis sticks close to Darren. He nods to Dirk, “Who is he?”

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:45 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Dirk 'the dirt he's just a
lad from school, likes to think he's the class clown , about as funny as being kicked in the nards. He wasn't invited here, he just turned up trying to frighten us. Doesn't deserve this though. "
Darren replies , not taking his eyes from the clown.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:40 pm
by Mephistophilis

It stands to reason that if Dirk is entranced or distracted by whatever is in the mirror then putting something between him and the mirror should break that. When Max swings the wingmirror in front of Dirk he seems to stir, blinking, turning away.

As Darren tries to place himself between Dirk and Mr Fun, he looks around and finds the clown has disappeared again. There's no sign of him in amongst the mirrors and wooden horses of the carousel.

We gotta get outa here,' Dirk says, pointing back down the gravel path to the south. The mist has cleared slightly but all you can see is the latticework of the rollercoaster stretching in all directions. 'Look, that way,' he says and starts walking away, towards the rollercoaster struts.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:57 pm
by Philulhu

”Why that way, Dirk?” asked Charlie. ”What have you seen?”

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hurry, we need to follow him before he disappears again!" says Harry, leading the way.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:23 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Harry's right, we can't let him out of our sight!" Says Darren as he frantically looks around for Mr Fun.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:43 am
by Philulhu

Charlie swore. Everyone was running off again! He quickly glanced around to make sure no one was left behind, then followed the others.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:11 am
by Snapper

Stashing the wing mirror in his backpack again, Max trotted off with the others.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:45 am
by Mephistophilis

Dirk walk walks, half runs down the gravel path in the direction the entrance should be. Or would be if it weren't blocked by the seemingly endless criss-crossing latticework of the rollercoaster. Stopping for a second he points at the struts, 'There, look, I can see the exit,' and he starts running again. Running right into the dense mesh of the rollercoaster support structure. And then...

He's gone.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Should we follow him?" asks Harry. "Maybe that mesh is just an illusion, and we can just walk right through it."

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Wait! DIRK!" Darren cries out. Hearing Harry's suggestion that it may just be an illusion, holding his bat out infront of him he walks slowly towards the mesh.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:08 am
by Philulhu

”What the hell?!” cried Charlie. ”Don’t tell me we coulda walked out of here at any time?!”

Like Darren he ran up to the girders to try them out, prodding at them with the metal pipe he’d taken from Barry.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
Holding his bat out in front of him, Darren walks slowly forwards towards where Dirk disappeared. The broad end of the bat horizontal. He reaches the criss-crossing latticework and involuntarily winces slightly at the expectation he will make contact...

Crunch, he feels the bat strike the struts. That same odd sense of the material having more give than he'd expect. But solid enough all the same.

Jabbing with his pipe, Charlie gets a similar sensation - prodding the jagged end into what looks like wood or metal it feels spongy and bends a little with the pressure.

The support struts run right across the footpath, disappearing into the fog at either side. The rollercoaster tracks are not visible above - the struts rising into the darkness of the night. Peering into the mesh of material it seems just as dense as before. A bit too dense for holding up the rollercoaster but you can't see how Dirk could have got through.

Staring deep into the darkness between the criss-crossing material there's just mist...And something else. Maybe it's not even something you're seeing, maybe it's just a feeling. But it's like there are eyes in there. Watching you.

OOC:   Sanity loss 0/1d3 for seeing eyes in the mist  

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:49 pm
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60) 1d100

SAN (73) 1d100 No SAN loss.

Charlie pushed carefully at the girders a couple of times then stopped abruptly. ”There’s something there! It’s looking at me!” said Charlie quietly. He backed up, still looking at the girders. ”I don’t think this is the way out. C’mon, let’s try a different way.”

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Harry. "Let's go back the way we were heading before he starting wandering away."

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren backs slowly away from the mesh. Shaking a little at what he thinks he just saw. "Yeah, lets go back, I think we're being watchd. Think we hould keep away from this meat mesh stuff."

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:05 pm
by Snapper

"Poor Dirk. I wonder what happened there?"

"But absolutely, let's get away from here."

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:40 pm
by aine
Louis follows the others.
“What if we tried burning the roller coaster down?” He says, half to himself.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Fire has proven effective in the past," says Harry as he walks with the others.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:43 pm
by Mephistophilis

With no further sign of Dirk, you follow the path back to the north. Back to Mr. Fun’s House of Hilarity. A faded and derelict funhouse. Only this time, instead of your flashlight beams disappearing into the blackness within the open mouth, this time there's someone stood in the entrance. Mr Fun. He gives you a little wave and then turns and disappears into the darkness.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:43 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie stared after the retreating clown, his hands clenched around the pipe. ”Are we going in there after him?” he asked.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds like a really bad idea," says Harry.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:44 am
by Snapper

"I think I prefer being outside, it feels less like we're trapped. Although we sort of still are. But at least we have more room to run out here. "

"Do you think Dirk was trying, I don't know, to make us walk into a trap? Was he being controlled? Like if he'd been hypnotised?"

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"An intriguing hypothesis," says Harry. "Or maybe the exit he saw was an illusion. We can't trust our perceptions."

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:26 am
by Philulhu

”Let’s get out of here,” said Charlie. ”Where do we go? Where’s the best place to find the way outa here?”

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The way we were headed, toward the roller coaster platform," says Harry. "It's the roller coaster tracks that are keeping us trapped here. If we can find the controls, maybe we could use them to get out of here. The more things happen that try to divert us from this course, the more I think it's the right one."

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:40 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"If its the tracks keeping us here, we'd better be careful with the conteols.Whi knows what they could do!" Darren says before adding, " Did any of you guys catch what Dirk was saying before we got him away from the mirror? I'm sure he said a name, Richie?,Chrissy?"

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
Richie was Dirk's brother you think. He mentioned him once, about Richie leaving home to get away from his dad.

OOC:   Not sure it is quite what Be A Pal was intended for but it seems appropriate  

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry shrugs. "It was Richie," he says. "I'm not sure what he meant."

Be a Pal roll (10% base skill) about Dirk:
d%

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 am
by Philulhu

I’m not sure Charlie’s that well acquainted with Dirk - he’s seen him around school but he wouldn’t say he’s on especially friendly terms - but just in case…

Be a Pal (40) 1d100

Edit: rendered academic by the failed roll! 😏

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 am
by Snapper

"I'm happy to keep going with Harry's plan, head for the roller coaster platform. "

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 pm
by Philulhu

”Let’s go,” said Charlie.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
According to the map, the path to the rollercoaster platform is past the funhouse and over a bridge across a small waterway between the two lakes. And there's still a remaining sign saying Mister Fun’s Big Twister pointing the way.

The mist thins a bit and you catch a sight of the rollercoaster track in the distance, illuminated from behind by moonlight. It seems rickety but much more normal than it did up close, the struts in particular seems sparse and wide apart. Unfortunately on nearing the bridge you can see that the wooden span has collapsed into the channel. It's hard to see how deep the surrounding water is because the moonlight reflects off the surface. It's kind of beautiful but the way the surface shimmers, almost like a mirror, it gives you an unpleasant feeling in your stomach.

And with the air a little clearer you can hear things better as well, they're less muffled. And what's most evident is an unsettling creaking or clanking sound coming from the east. It's not constant, but it's persistent. Like chains rattling. Creak. Creak. Creak.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry looks around to see if he can determine where the control room is.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:26 am
by Snapper

Max shone his flashlight in the direction of the creak-creak noise.

"What is that noise? Was there a pirate ship in this place?"

WWTGD?

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:14 pm
by aine
“It’s not a pirate ship…. It’s that ride that looks like a giant mechanical spider - the Giggler, I think…. We gotta get outter here fast!” Louis gasps.

“And we can’t go in the water, there are things in there.”

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:17 pm
by Philulhu

”So which way are we going?” asked Charlie.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
The platform and control room for the rollercoaster aren't visible from here.

Shining his flashlight to the east, all Max can see, even in the thinner mist, is the great wall of criss-crossing struts from the rollercoaster that seems to run along the edge of the lake, sometimes rising out of the water itself. The sound, whatever it is, comes from beyond that. It's probably not the Giddy Giggler which lies to the south of you, maybe the Chairoplanes which the map said were on the other side of the lake to the east, between the curves of the rollercoaster track.

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't see the controls or the platform from here," says Harry. "I don't think it's the Giggler to the south, but it could be the Chairoplanes. I don't want to run into the spider that spun this web anyway. The sound comes from beyond that wall to the east, by the lake. Maybe we should follow the tracks to the north."

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 am
by BoyBlunder78
" i thik Harry's lets put as much distance between us and that creepy ass lake! Gotta keep our eyes peeled for that weirdo thst killed me and Louis. Youve been here longer than us, what do you think?" Darren asks turning to Louis.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:38 am
by Snapper

"North sounds good." . Max kept his flashlight pointed in the direction of the noise.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:19 am
by Philulhu

”Let’s go, then. We’re not going to get out by sticking around here,” said Charlie. He started to head north along the path… …

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:58 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   The one direction you can't go is north. That would require you to cross the river - and the bridge is down. You could try and wade across (if it isn't too deep) or attempt to climb across the remains of the bridge. Otherwise there's a lake to the east of you and a lake to the west of you (behind the funhouse). If you really want to go north you'd need to either go around the lake to the east (but that's likely to be a dead end between the rollercoaster loops - where the chairoplane is) or around the lake to the west, back past the bumper cars and Barry.

See the map here, you're around #7 where the funhouse is - the bridge on the map is the one that has collapsed:

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:46 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   Has the bridge gone completely? Or have the timbers gone but the ironwork is still there?  

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
The bridge seems to be made almost entirely of wood. There are wooden handrails, wooden slatted decking, and an arched wooden substructure. The initial part of the bridge on this side of the channel starts as wooden decking just running across a slightly marshy surface, this remains intact. Then the decking begins to be supported on wooden piles sunk into the water. This part has some damage and while the decking looks mostly intact, the handrails have fallen away in places. Then from this side the last part of the bridge that is visible is a span that rises up in an arch over the main channel of water. This is what has collapsed in the middle. There's a section that climbs up, handrails intact, then it drops away into the water where a span has collapsed into the murky channel below. There's still some of the substructure poking out of the water. Then the bridge seems to start again maybe 10 feet beyond, the decking elevated in the air on a more stable structure, and dropping back down to the bank on the other side to continue as the path.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"With the bridge out," says Harry, "we'll have to go around the lake to the west."

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:05 am
by Snapper

"We might find a boat we can use to get across the lake."

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe," says Harry, "but I don't know if I trust the boats in this place. Let's follow the shore to the west, and we'll see if we find any boats along the way."

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:52 am
by Philulhu

”Yep, let’s stick to dry land,” said Charlie. ”Like Harry, I wouldn’t want to be on open water here!”

He looked around, looking for a path to follow.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:46 am
by Snapper

Max shrugged. "OK, but keep an open mind if we're being chased by clowns and we find a nice pirate ship. Let's keep going though." He cast a nervous glance back in the direction the creaking noise came from.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:29 pm
by aine
“If it’s the same as Barnekker House then there’s no point in trying to escape- not until we’ve found and burnt the Witch.” Louis turns and points north. “She’s up there somewhere.”
Louis walks over to the bridge to gauge the length of span that’s missing (was there a chance of fixing a way over?)
“I don’t want to meet Barry again, he’ll be even madder next time.”

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
The missing span across the water is a good ten foot in length. It's not obvious how it could be fixed but the wooden pilings still rise out of the water and perhaps provide enough handhold for someone to try and climb across.

In terms of paths, there are essentially four visible from here. North, across the broken bridge; south, back towards the entrance and seemingly blocked by the struts of the rollercoaster; south-east around the scenic lake; and finally south-west past the funhouse and around the boating lake.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 pm
by Philulhu

”That’s too risky,” said Charlie, looking at the gap in the bridge before pulling Louis away. ”Let’s take the path round the lake. Just make sure you stay away from the water’s edge!”

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, let's go that way," says Harry, pointing to the southeast.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:28 am
by Snapper

"Do you all know something about water that I don't? Although, this does make me think of the Fellowship of the Ring at the entrance to Moria, by the lake." . Max frowned at the water.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, yeah!" says Harry. "Speak, friend, and enter. I wonder if that'll really work here. Mellon."

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:41 am
by Snapper

"To be honest, I was thinking more of the octopus thing that ate Sam's pony."

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's a slight stirring of the water. Ripples emanating out from towards the middle of the channel and washing against the piers of the bridge.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we shouldn't think of things like that here," says Harry. "If it works like Ghostbusters, thinking about it could make it appear."

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) near the lake:
d%

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:26 am
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Fail.  

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:33 pm
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60) 1d100

OOC:   Also failed.  

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Which way are you going? I'll take a majority vote assuming you want to stick together  

Posted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

That's a good assumption. Southeast, around the lake.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:40 pm
by Philulhu
Happy to head South East too.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:46 pm
by Snapper
South east is good.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2024 6:02 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren looks over the lake. "Guys! The lake is a definet no no, in fact i think we should back away from it now...." His eyes not leaving the ripples, his bat raised as walks backwards to the group. "Southeast sounds good to me."

Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:29 am
by aine
Louis shrugged. True, he didn’t like the look of the water either and he’d seen things in it, but that rollercoaster surrounded them like a prison cage and he didn’t think they’d be getting past it.
“Alright, I’m coming.” He got out his compass and started South East.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
Heading to the southeast you skirt around the shore of the scenic lake but only about twenty feet out into the water there is a rising wall of criss-crossing lattice that blocks your view of the water. There's a rough gravel path that approaches very close to the water's edge. As you reach the southern most point of the lake another dark wall of rollercoaster supporting beams emerges from the mist to block the way east. The path turns up towards the northeast and through a narrow gap between the lake and the rollercoaster then across a causeway between the lake and a shallow pond.

The creaking, clanking noise you heard on the other side of the lake has grown louder. And up ahead the source of the sound becomes evident.

The Chairoplanes chair swing ride balances precariously atop a central metal column that tilts at a wild angle. Most of the seats have broken off, leaving rusty chains dangling uselessly. The lightest of breezes rustles the chains, links clanking and creaking as they move.

On the ground beneath the ride is a splash of colour. Bright red, it looks like the flaccid remnant of burst balloon. Only walking closer to look reveals it to be a pool of red liquid, blood maybe, and from above a languid drip splashes onto the red surface which seems to have some sort of skin across it, and around it, among the gravel and dirt you can see evidence that it has seeped into the ground all around. There's an nasty odour, metallic and cloying.

Looking up for the source of the dripping you see a shape up amongst the chains. The outline of what seems to be a human body, the chains distorted where they twist around the neck crushing the larynx. Legs twitching spasmodically, causing a high pitched screeching that sounds like a child's screams. The face feels familiar, you recognise it from the yearbook in the car. The Asian teacher, Safiya Ali. No longer the attractive, carefree woman from the photographs but distorted and twisted in pain, face swollen and sucking at the air like a fish out of water. .

OOC:   SAN check please - 1/1d4+1  

Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh," says Harry, looking up. "Another corpse." He seems almost completely unaffected.

Sanity roll (current level 25) for seeing the corpse:
d%
I don't suppose that critical success keeps me from losing the 1 Sanity?

Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:13 am
by Snapper

1d%52%

Pass.  

Max thought there was nothing left in his stomach but he was wrong. He spun around, bent over and vomited bile...

Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren looks up at the body.
"Quick! Grab her legs!!"
OOC:   Sooo...that whole critical success negating san loss conundrum......  

Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:28 pm
by Philulhu

SAN (73) 1d100

1 SAN loss.

OOC:   Can we even reach her legs?  

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hey, she's still alive!" says Harry. If her legs are within reach, he'll reach up and try to raise her up so she isn't choking on the chains any more.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
You can only just reach her legs from here, but not enough to relieve her weight or to make any attempt to untangle her. Maybe with someone on your shoulders...

OOC:   Ah go on, you don't lose SAN with those crits - maybe you realised she was alive quicker than the others?

To try and get the woman down you are going to need two characters with a combined Size of at least 85 + whoever is on top making a Gym Class roll. If the person on the bottom has a smaller SIZ than the one on top I'll need a STR roll - and if you fail take a penalty die to the Gym Class roll on top as they stagger about.  

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:09 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   Unfortunately, we’re all utter dweebs with no physical attributes whatsoever!  

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:12 pm
by Philulhu

”Here!” said Charlie, quickly kneeling below the stricken woman and waving Harry forward. ”Get on my shoulders and I’ll lift you up!”

OOC:   Presumably the others could help try to keep Charlie steady and negate any penalties?  

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Human pyramid!

If the others are going to help Charlie hold up Harry then I'll allow a bonus die per person for the STR check. I would point out that Darren and Louis have the best Gym Class skills (80% and 49% respectively).  

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm probably not the best choice to be on top," says Harry. "Darren is far more athletic."

Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren nods at Harry's suggestion. " You'd better keep a good hold." " Hang on," Darren says, " How did she get up there?"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:08 am
by Snapper

Max chipped in as another pair of scrawny arms at the base of the human pyramid. All the while, he was trying to spot some way to release the chains, or perhaps make a structure out of failed chairs that might get the party up higher towards the trapped woman.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"My hypothesis is she rode up there in the Chairoplanes," says Harry, taking his position at the base of the pyramid.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:53 pm
by aine

Louis braces Max, using his substantial weight to stabalise the pyramid. He concentrates on keeping his footing.
Maybe due to his wounded eye, Louis doesn't really see the details of the poor woman's predicament.

Sanity: 60 roll: 22, lose:1

Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:04 pm
by Philulhu

”C’mon!” said Charlie. ”Whoever’s going up needs to go up now!”

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:40 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Ok here goes nothing..." Darren makes his way upto the pyramid.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
With Charlie, Harry, Max, and Louis forming a strong base, Darren is able to climb up onto their backs and reach up to the chains. Now he's up close he can see that the chain is really just wrapped around her neck and pulled taut by the woman's weight. Despite the grisly image he is able to keep focused on trying to release her. He grabs hold of her legs and tries to lift her body. The chain slackens and unwinds from around her neck. As Darren lets her go she slides away from the chains and thumps into the others, collapsing the pyramid onto the ground.

Rolling over you are able to see the woman clearly. It is the teacher from the photographs, Safiya Ali. One leg is bent at an unnatural angle and her body sort of twitches as she lies there. Her neck is twisted with a jagged gash across the front with blood oozing from the wound. Her face is swollen and she gurgles and wheezes as she pants, blowing out bubbles of blood with each breath. Her eyes are wide and unfocused.

Charlie STR roll. STR 30: 1d100 30

Posted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry tries to help her, but he isn't quite sure what to do.

First Aid roll (42% skill) to help Safiya Ali:
d%

Posted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:23 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Miss Ali...Miss Ali, can you hear us?" Looking frantically around the group Darren asks, "Any of yous boy scouts? No any first aid? Recovery position?"

Posted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:42 am
by Snapper

1d%Fd30%

Fail.  
Max's entirely book-based first aid skills failed once again.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2024 4:27 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie looked on helplessly. His first aid was no better than Max’s!

First Aid (30%) 1d100

Posted: Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren knelt down next her and tried his best make her comfortable, turned her on her side and hoped she wouldn't choke, trying to remember as much first aid that he'd even seen on tv or what he could remember from coach and the baseball field.
  Success!  

Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
Rolled onto her side the woman coughs and splutters. Darren dresses the wound on her neck as best he can with a few strips of cloth. Where her larynx should be is livid and swollen. For a few minutes she just lies there spitting out blood and vomit. Eventually her heaves slow and she is just breathing raggedly. Slowly and painfully she rolls over and looks around her desperately, eyes wide and darting.

She opens her mouth and hoarsely croaks, 'Got to get out...got to get out...now way out...no way...don't want to, don't want to...' She's not addressing you in particular, she just seems to be talking to herself.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"What brought you here?" asks Harry.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:25 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Woah Miss, your ok now, try and calm down. " Darren says.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:31 pm
by aine
Louis looks on shyly. How did a sensible person get trapped in here, he wonders. Looking at her leg he then looks around for something to use as a splint and a crutch.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Asked direct questions, Safiya looks confused, blinking her eyes and staring blankly. Eventually she rasps something incomprehensible about 'The clown...give up your lies...be free...'

OOC:   Maybe she'd respond to a bit of reassurance or emotional support - that'd be a Be a Pal roll  

Posted: Fri May 17, 2024 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't trust that clown," says Harry. "There's something...funny about him."

Be a Pal roll (10% base skill) to get through to Safiya:
d%

Posted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Its ok Miss, that clown aint here."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2024 8:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
At the words of reassurance, Safiya visibly seems to relax a little. She rolls over to sit cross-legged on the ground. Her leg now seemingly uninjured. 'Oh children. What are you doing here. You shouldn't be here.' Her voice is still a little hoarse but is gentle and she sounds genuinely concerned.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We came here to find our friends," says Harry, "but now we're trapped. But if we work together, we can find a way out of here. Why did you come here, and what happened?"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:49 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Have you seen any other kids, a girl?" Darren asks.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:04 pm
by Mephistophilis
Safiya still seems a bit confused and she shakes her head as if trying to clear it. 'I, I...I'm not sure. I think...it feels like I have been here for weeks. But you're the first kids I've seen. Someone came to me...he came to me, before I came here. Came to me at home. Perry, the clown, he said he could help me. I, I...I've been having some problems, I haven't been sleeping. Something happened. Something I wanted to forget about. He said that if I faced up to it...if I faced my lies, admitted them, admitted them to myself - that I'd be free.' Her eyes take on a hazy far away look. Then she shakes her head again and continues.

'But when I got here. I couldn't. I mean, I couldn't. Did you see them? The grey shapes, the remnants in the mirrors? I couldn't. I just couldn't.' She pulls up her knees and rocks a little, repeating 'I just couldn't, I couldn't.' Darren places a hand on her shoulder in what he hopes is a gesture of reassurance. He's not really sure how to interact with an adult like this but he can tell she's suffered...something. 'It's okay Miss, it's okay.'

She lets out a single sob then seems to pull herself together again. 'Well I wandered around for days. That clown, he kept saying he wanted to help me, that he was disapppointed in me. Freaked me out. There's something wrong with him. Something wrong with everything but him even more. I couldn't, I wouldn't do it. Every time he came out of that tunnel...' she lets out a harsh laugh, 'Tunnel of Love. I ran away. I couldn't find any way out. I didn't want to become one of them, but I didn't want to stay...' She looks up at you all, into your faces, 'Did you meet Barry? I hope not. Do you know what he did...?' She trails off and goes silent for a minute. 'I couldn't stay here so I...I tried to find another way out...' silence again. 'And that didn't work. I just hung there. The pain never went away. I just got used to it I guess. The pain, couldn't breathe, the blood dripping. But I didn't die. I just hung there...' she lets out another harsh laugh. 'I think I went a bit mad.'

She shakes her head sadly and goes quiet again. 'There's nothing else for me now. No way out. I'm going to go to the lake. In the lake. Under the lake.' She looks in their faces again. 'You've seen them? Under the water? They're still not dead...but maybe...maybe it'd be better...better...' She goes silent again, just rocking, sobbing, and hugging her legs.

What she says about the clown. The clown coming to her. Something about it, about the way she says it. It resonates with you. You can't put your finger on it but deep down, down in your stomach - there's a lurching feeling, like anxiety. But you're not sure why. Recognition?

Posted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:53 pm
by Philulhu

”We met Barry,” said Charlie, hefting the bat. ”I think we know what he did. I took his bat so he can’t do it again.”

He sounded more confident than he felt.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've also seen the shapes in the mirrors," says Harry. "And the witch in this one I'm carrying. Do you know about her?"

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:50 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Yeah, Charlie over there got up close and personal with one of them grey things."

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
Safiya shudders at the mention of the remnant but she looks into the mirror, 'I don't see anything in there,' shaking her head. 'I didn't see any witch - I don't think. But I've seen things, I don't think they were real - like memories, reminders, reminders of what I've done...' She trails off.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:23 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"There was another one us, Dirk, we got split up..and...and....when we found him he was with the clown, saying stuff like 'I've told him something... and something aboit someone called Richie.He then just walked out the park" Darren says.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, but we couldn't follow him. We were still trapped inside. I tried not to look to closely at the shapes in the mirrors, and when one of us broke one, it was a huge mistake. One of them emerged."

Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 12:34 am
by Snapper

Max had looked troubled at talk of revealing guilty secrets but remained quiet. Then a thought struck him.

"What was that about people under the lake, who are still alive?
Do you mean underwater?"

Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
'He said...the clown...Perry...Mr Fun...he said that if I give up my lies I can get out...but I saw them...I saw them talking to the mirror...I saw what they become...I couldn't do it...I can't do it.'

She doesn't say any more until Max's question. 'You've seen...you can't die here...not really. But the ones that go into the lake. I don't know. They're different. Not dead but...I don't know. Not alive either. I hear them sometimes. They're calling to me. To join them. I don't know, I don't know.' She starts rocking again, staring blankly at her feet. Muttering inaudibly under her breath.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:34 pm
by Philulhu

”Well look, you’re with us now,” said Charlie. ”If we stick together, we’ll get out of here.”

He held onto the bat firmly, seeking reassurance in its wooden solidity.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2024 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, we need to stick together, no matter what," says Harry. "The forces that control this place are trying to separate us. Bad things happen when they do."

Posted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:24 pm
by Snapper

"And I think that rules out midnight swims."

Posted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:45 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"What do you mean? You saw what they become? The people?" Darren asks.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
'When they talk to the mirror. When they give up their lies. When they create that...that thing. That grey thing in the mirror. The remnant. What's left, there's something missing. It's taken away part of them. An important part. They look...empty. I can't do that. I won't do that. I won't do that. I won't...'

Posted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good," says Harry. "We're all going to get out of here, and without any parts missing."

Posted: Sat May 25, 2024 1:21 pm
by aine
Louis finishes cleaning an old oar he found under a bush, he holds it out to her,
“Here, it’s kind of a crutch.” He says shyly.
“Do you think the thing feeds on lies? I think it lives in the tunnel of Love and that clown works for it. And…. Well it’s like the witch, she fed on our fear…. Maybe.”
He shrugs, he isn’t clever like Darren and Harry and now his theory sounds lame.