OOC Discussion

Halloween Night, 1987. A year since the events at the Old Barnaker House. Memories have faded. Things seem, fuzzier somehow. Did that, could that have even happened?

And here you are again, on Halloween Night. On the outskirts of an old amusement park. On Halloween Night. Didn't want to be called a chicken again...

And here you are. Something tugs at the back of your mind. A forgotten memory. This isn't right. You shouldn't be here. There's a metal arch over the front gate, topped by large, rusted metal letters. The remaining letters spell out 'UNLAND.'

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

Mephistophilis wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:46 pm
Philulhu wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:27 am Seeing it now portrayed as history some 30 years later made me stop and think. It can be a sobering moment when you realise what is considered history for some people actually occurred in your lifetime!
Even worse when you get told what happened in some event you distinctly recall or might even have been involved in and it completely differs from your recollection. It's funny how an official version of history can be constructed after the fact.
Yeah. "History is written by the victors."
Mephistophilis wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:41 pm
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:06 am Thank you! I know the history because I lived through it, and anything I don't remember, I can look up online.
Me too but it seemed early. Just checking it seems TNG didn't air in the UK until 1990 which probably explains the discrepancy, I'd always thought of it as very early 1990s. Might also explain the frankly dodgy sexual politics.
The original series' sexual politics were even dodgier.
Snapper wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:57 am I work with a very buff older guy who was a Royal Marines Commando in the Falklands War. Later migrated, needless to say.

He pointed out that when he was a young marine, in the pubs around the RMC base would be these fit, tough, 60-something year old retirees, downing the pints. Those guys were the RMC WWII veterans!

And the gap between WWII and the Falklands is the same as the gap between the Falklands and now.

That is still making me ponder.
It's sad how there are so few WWII vets left today. Few people are around that actually remember, and we'll probably end up making the same mistakes from those days again rather than learn from them.
Philulhu wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:27 am I took my kids (now all grown up) to the Imperial War Museum in London a number of years ago, and there was an exhibition about events that happened in the UK. This included the 1980 Iranian Embassy Siege which I’d watched live on TV as the SAS stormed the building.

Seeing it now portrayed as history some 30 years later made me stop and think. It can be a sobering moment when you realise what is considered history for some people actually occurred in your lifetime!
I visited the Imperial War Museum a few times during trips to London, and it was always worth seeing. I was around during the Iranian Revolution and the hostage crisis, but I didn't hear about the details at the time, as I was too little. I do vaguely recall the ensuing oil embargo, with gas lines and odd days and even days (this sort of thing is coming back soon). We were very close to World War Three in 1983, and while I didn't hear about the precipitating events at the time, I could feel the fear of it in the air then. We're so much closer to it now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

My mum remembers the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 (she was 21 at the time). She said she went to bed and not knowing whether she would be waking up in the morning 😬

And yeah, it does feel closer again, with Ukraine and everything else going on. That caused me a few sleepless nights!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:04 pm And yeah, it does feel closer again, with Ukraine and everything else going on. That caused me a few sleepless nights!
I was running the new Twilight 2000 rules from Free League but using material from the 1st and 2nd editions when the war erupted in Ukraine. It was very odd playing what was essentially an 80s nostalgia game riffing on the Cold War suddenly coming slap bang into contemporary relevance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've known the war was coming since early 1999, and I'm surprised it hasn't (officially) started yet. I've had plenty of time to adjust to it, but it's quite something to see it actually happening now. It could get very hot as early as Friday. Still, I have a feeling of peace.

Here is a World War Three scenario I came up with in 2011. The timeline is broken by now of course, but it seems like similar things could easily happen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

When will you be running that? 🙂
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Twilight 2000! I still find articles for it when I'm reading old White Dwarf mags (in digital format).
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

We played T2K many years ago and I remember it being a lot of fun. One of our party had an unfortunate incident with a prostitute, some gaffa tape, a grenade and his testicles…
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Philulhu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:57 am We played T2K many years ago and I remember it being a lot of fun. One of our party had an unfortunate incident with a prostitute, some gaffa tape, a grenade and his testicles…
Colour me intrigued 🤔.....
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Our game fizzled out but I had much amusement when they stole a truck which was actually a tactical nuclear missile launcher. They were remarkably uninterested in what was inside the truck and completely baffled at the amount of radiation damage they were taking. I was trying to point them towards the Black Madonna scenario but they wouldn't pick up the bait so they ended up in Silesia and all the fun down there.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

Fix stuff 40%:
1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:35 pm
Philulhu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:57 am We played T2K many years ago and I remember it being a lot of fun. One of our party had an unfortunate incident with a prostitute, some gaffa tape, a grenade and his testicles…
Colour me intrigued 🤔.....
It’s not exactly PC (different times!) so I’ll PM you!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've never had the pleasure of playing Twilight 2000, but I've heard of it, and it sounds awesome.
Philulhu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:50 am When will you be running that? 🙂
Probably no time soon, unfortunately. The scenario isn't actually written. The only parts I wrote down are in the linked thread along with the background narrative of the war, and any other parts only exist in my head. We never actually made much progress in drafting those scenarios. One idea I remember was that I was going to name the section header detailing the Russian submarine and its crew "Mikhail's Navy" (Mikhail being the first name of the sub's skipper). Before I have time to rewrite it (and that timeline needs complete reworking) let alone run it, I'll want to get Zombie Apocalypse moving again. And revive Space Oddity. And run my published scenarios here (I did get to run The Thirteenth Bak'tun in person last December, and it went great).

There are some aspects of the TV show The Last Ship that look very similar to the events in the war.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Too many scenarios, too little time! 🙁
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

How many of our kids would have seen Evil Dead 2 do we think?
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Darren may have seen it at Louis's on a pirate vhs.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Pretty sure Charlie’s seen it! 😏
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Harry might have seen it with Darren and Louis, though he prefers science fiction.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

This scenario is making me constantly ask:

What would the Goonies do?

WWTGD?

Unexpectedly discover a fully functional 200+ year old pirate sailing ship in an underground lake in Unland...  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE!!!"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper