Page 1 of 1

Episode 1 - Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
After last Halloween Shirley just up and left. You never saw or heard from her again.

At least, not until last week.

Harry shares a letter he received, postmarked Minnesota. A letter addressed to Harry, and Darren, and Louis. A letter from Shirley.
Dear Harry, and Darren, and Louis

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to write to you. After what happened my parents wanted to get out of Northfield straight away. We moved back to stay with my mom's family.

I didn't know what to say. But I'm coming back to Northfield in a week's time. On Halloween. There's an old amusement park nearby, Funland, there's something I've got to do there. Something I've got to see. Something you've got to see. Meet me there. I'll explain everything.

Love from Shirley
As the founding member of The Mad Scientists' Club, Max is let in on the discussions between Harry, and Louis, and Darren. He's only moved to the school in the last six months and no one wants to tell him what went on back the Old Barnaker House. But he's up for exploring an old amusement park on Halloween, who wouldn't be? He doesn't catch the meaningful glances exchanged between the other three.

Charlie spends his time sitting alone, listening to his Walkman, writing in his notebook. But he often sits near Harry and the other Mad Scientists at lunch. Not with them, just near them. Occasionally listening in to their inane conversations. He doesn't want to hang out with these nerds but an abandoned amusement park, where else would a weirdo metalhead go on Halloween? Trick or treating?

None of you have heard of Funland. It seems to have closed down quite some time ago and Harry and Darren's parents seem strangely reluctant to talk about it.

-----

It's about 6.30pm. Darren and Harry have made their way to the outskirts of Funland, it's a few miles outside of Northfield. They're meeting Louis here. It's still light but the sun is getting very low in the sky and a light mist has started to gather between the trees. There's nothing obvious from the main road, but turning up a dirt track marked on an old map Harry has found, fading and half-vandalised billboards loom out of the mist. They're advertising Mr Fun's Funland and various rides, such as The Giddy Giggler and Mr Fun's Big Twister. A couple of the signs have been scrawled in spray paint, one of the more legible tags reads "Protect the Innocent" and another "Pedos Out!".

Charlie arrives a little after the others and follows at a distance.

In amongst the mud, and the weeds, and the dirt, there look like fresh tyre tracks

OOC:   Can you describe how your character got here. Are they in fancy dress? What did they tell their parents? What are they thinking?  

Re: Episode 1 - Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:06 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren got there on his bike,pure and simple. Things at home have been difficult since Ian...passed...the closeness he had with his parents is a thing of the past They miss their baby and part of them blame you for him sneaking out and not sending him back or bringing him back when you found him. This time of year is even harder, they didn't even notice he had left, so.ised to him living in his room. He's not wearing a costume, seeing such things as childish now, after everything that happened last year and knowing that monsters really exist, costumes and make believe has lost its appeal. He's wearing jeans, sneakers and dark blue t shirt with the Thundercats logo on a New York Mets baseball jacket and baseball cap with the Autobot insignia. He carries with him an electric torch, his baseball bat and scuffed baseball (Thunder mk2 and lightning) Ian's name crudely scratched into the bat and a weathered old Catchers mitt. He also has a piece of cheese....because...who doesn't love cheese?

Nodding towards Harry
"Hey! check this out. Looks like Shirley's already here". Looking up from the tracks he notices Charlie and Max." Hey Bruckner, Max you sure ya wanna be here?"

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:24 pm
by Philulhu

Notice stuff (60%) 1d100

Charlie sat and watched from a distance, aside the Walmart BMX bike his dad had bought him last Christmas. His face was painted black and white. His Aunt Deb was over visiting his dad. She’d insisted he couldn’t go out on Halloween without some kind of costume and so he now looked like a mini Gene Simmons. Well, an approximation of the Demon Lord, anyway!

He’d told his dad he was going out to meet friends and his dad was so enthralled by Deb’s latest family drama, that he hadn’t actually questioned that. A short while later, he found himself at the abandoned funfair, which seemed like a cool place to hang out on Halloween. Unfortunately, he wasn’t the only one to have that idea. He could see some recent tyre tracks, then someone hailed him from ahead.

He stared impassively for a moment, then said, ”Hey! What are you guys doing here?”

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could ask you the same question," says Harry. He also rode here on his bicycle, having told his parents that he was going to hang out with his friends for Halloween. He just didn't mention where they were going. He's wearing a costume consisting of Lt. Commander Data's uniform from Star Trek: The Next Generation, with a phaser and a scientific tricorder attached to his belt. While he knows the Data is derivative of Spock, he does like the android. He is curious what Shirley intends to show them. During his time in the hospital, he lost his ability to utilize the power of his mind to manipulate reality, and he wonders if he'll have the opportunity to recover it.

Notice Stuff (43% skill) outside the amusement park:
d%

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:44 am
by Philulhu

Charlie shrugged. ”It’s somewhere to go,” he replied.

He was still sat astride his BMX, in two minds whether to join them or find somewhere else to hang out. Not that anywhere else had the same vibe as the deserted Funland in front of him.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:15 pm
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Hard success.  
Max arrived on his ten-speed and cautiously pushed his glasses back up his nose, looking dubiously at the alleged fun park. He waited for the others.

When everyone had gathered, he cleared his throat, trying to hide his nervousness. He still felt like the new kid. "Umm, did everyone notice those tyre tracks? Someone here before us?"

He pulled out his notebook. "I did some digging at the library and found an article about this place. Kinda gross. I wrote it down verbatim, I'll read it to you."

Northfield Chronicle
July 8, 1980
The shocking allegations against Funland employee Donald LeMann (35), who has been accused of molesting a child at Funland Amusement Park have led to three more victims coming forward.

The oldest of these claims LeMann fondled her in 1976 when she was 13 years old.

Ina Matthews, spokesman for Funland, said, 'The accusations against LeMann are nothing more than a desperate cash-grab. The simple fact that these charges are being levied against the company and not the former employee is all the proof anyone needs. We take safety as the utmost priority, and to have our reputation and brand tied to these charges is nothing short of slanderous. We are working with the police, providing both employee records and secutiry video to prove Mister LeMann was not working on the days in question.'

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:23 pm
by Philulhu

”Is that why you’re here?” asked Charlie, still a few yards away from the group. He wheeled his bike forward a couple of rotations. ”Looking for some creep who fondles kids? Why wouldn’t the police just him lock up?”

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's not why we're here," says Harry. "This all happened years ago. I found another article about it." He shows the others a photocopy he had made:
Northfield Gazette
July 29, 1980
The body of Kyle Stemmons (12) was discovered in a shallow grave Wednesday after police searched the area where Heather Murphy said Donald MeMann led her when he attempted to rape her last August. Murphy, who was 11 at the time, said LeMann coaxed her away from Funland Amusement Park under the pretense she had won a prize to see the 'secret ride.'

Stemmons disappeared in 1974, shortly after his family had visited Funland. The previous body, a young male, has yet to be identified. Police are currently searching the area for more remains of missing children. LeMann was employed at Funland Amusement Park from 1970 to 1979. As of today, six accusers have come forward, claiming LeMann had molested them.

Ina Matthews, spokesman for Funland said, 'We are devastated at this horrific tragedy, and are working with police to the best of our ability. However, Mister Le Mann was no longer employed by the park on the day of Heather's attack, having been terminated two days prior. Furthermore, no evidence has been found showing the victims being abducted from the park itself. The accusations that Funland is somehow responsible or covering for these terrible crimes are unequivocally false.'

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Some sick bastards in this world alright......Harry and myseld are here ro meet a couple of friends dunno why here.Maybe because where else would you go on Halloween.Judging by the rracks one of 'em is here..." Darren says,one hand nervously fidgeting in his pocket.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:44 am
by Philulhu

”So where’s LeMann now?” asked Charlie. ”Still doing time, I expect?”

”Hey, did you know John Wayne Gacy got himself stabbed in prison? Henry Brisbon - the I-57 killer did it with a wire shank. P’raps someone’s gonna catch up with LeMann the same way.”

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking at Charlie, Darren tilts his head? "Woah!...like a serial killer deathmatch? Cool."

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
The four of them have slowly made their way up the muddy track, keeping an uncertain distance from each other but remaining close enough to see everyone through the thickening mist. After a few hundred yards they come to a metal wire gate that half blocks the road but is practically hanging off its hinges and leaves enough room for even a fairly large car to get by.

The trees that surround the road are dense conifers, and a soupy fog hangs between the trees, enhancing the sense of a heavy presence pressing in around them. The light is getting dim as the sun sets and the mist gets denser the further they walk along the track. Eventually they arrive at what must be some kind of parking lot. The concrete is weed choked, cracked and crumbling. There are a number of cars left here of various ages, but they seem to have been abandoned and some are little more than rusted wrecks. The newest is a white Buick station wagon that seems relatively intact and looks like it might be the vehicle that made the tracks they saw further back down the road. There is a chain link fence that must mark the border of the park, and behind that you can see the struts of a surprisingly impressive rollercoaster.

Something nags at you, then you look closer. The station wagon doesn't have any wing mirrors, someone seems to have pulled them off. And then you look at the other cars, none of them have wing mirrors. Not even the rusting wrecks.

OOC:   It's getting dark. Maybe 30mins left of daylight. Anyone got flashlights?  

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:22 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren has a flash light.
He doesn't see anything but a load of old, beat up cars.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:20 am
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Success.  
Max looked a bit nervous but turned analytical to calm his jitters.

"The changes between those two newspaper articles are interesting. Funland went from denial to this LeMann was no longer employed by us. It doesn't seem to have helped them, though."

"And what was that about a previous body? Not this kid Stemmons. The previous body, a young male, has yet to be identified. The article wasn't well written. Or we're missing data."

Max pulled out his flashlight and wandered over to the Buick station-wagon, shining the light into it. "Why are all the wing mirrors on all of these vehicles missing?"

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Because someone pulled off the mirrors," says Harry. "We are missing a lot of data. Three weeks passed between those articles. But we can interpolate. Obviously they found two bodies, but the other one hadn't been identified yet."

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) in the parking lot:
d%

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:53 am
by Philulhu

Notice stuff (60%) 1d100

Charlie didn’t think to bring a flashlight but he’ll try a luck roll to see he’s got lights on his BMX (if that’s OK?)

Luck (75%) 1d100

’Data? Who is this dork?!’ Charlie thought to himself as he examined the cars more closely.

He had an idea and he cupped his hands against the glass of one of the cars, trying to get a look inside. Was the driver’s mirror gone too?

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:36 pm
by Snapper

"Err, I guess I'm wondering where the second body was found then? And when?"

"And why the wing mirrors have all been pulled off?"

Max sounded a bit hesitant after the response to his previous comments, but at the same time stubbornly determined to keep asking questions.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren looks around all the cars."Do all these cars have missing mirrors?" Feeling a shiver down his spine as he rembers back a year when mirrors brought nothing to trouble. Looking towards Harry "Maybe no mirrors is a good thing...."

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
Max shines his flashlight through the driver's window of the Buick. Illuminating the interior of the car he can see that there is some kind of orange scarf or shawl on the passenger seat, it's scattering the light and it takes him a moment to realise it is covered in shards of glass that have come from the passenger side window which has been smashed. The rear view mirror has also been removed.

Looking into another, rather more rusted car, Charlie notes that there is a broken window on that vehicle too, and no rear view mirror.

Darren paces around the cars and finds that none of the ones he looks at have wing mirrors. As he walks about the parking lot, something on the floor catches his attention. It's a bright red colour, like blood.

Walking over and crouching down to get a closer look he sees it is the rubbery fragments of a burst balloon.

-----

There's still no sign of Louis or Shirley. The wind seems to be picking up a bit and the chain link fence creaks as it sways. Funnily enough the mist doesn't seem to disperse. If anything it's getting thicker and it is hard to see anything through the fence except the struts of the rollercoaster. Even the tracks above are becoming more difficult to make out through the greyness.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:03 pm
by Philulhu

”Why’s that?” asked Charlie, still looking through the car window.

”You think it’s vampires, don’tcha?” He shook his head. ”I’m not saying there aren’t people out there who drink blood and practice cannibalism, but Stoker’s vampires with the teeth and turning into mist? Well, they flat out don’t exist.”

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:20 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Luck rolls are fine to see if you brought a flashlight or there might be a light on your bike  

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:42 am
by BoyBlunder78
Picking up the remains of the balloon, Darren looks towards Charlie, "No reason" He says abruptly. " There are worse things than vampires.Hey Harry no sign of Louis or Shirley out here. Maybe their alreasy inside?"

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:11 am
by Snapper

Max shone his flashlight on the shawl and peered at it a bit more closely, pushing his glasses back up his nose with one finger. He didn't want to touch the shawl, let alone get into the Buick, because he was afraid of getting cut by glass shards.

"I suppose we could follow the tyre tracks, see where they head to?" He called to the others while he peered into the vehicle.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry shines his flashlight into the Buick as well. "They head to here," says Harry. "Following the tracks would lead us to its point of origin, but my guess is whoever parked it is still here somewhere, because the car is. Maybe Louis and Shirley are inside, and they might have gotten a ride in this car. None of these other ones look like they came here recently. But the mirrors were broken off after the Buick got here, which means whoever did it is probably still here too."

I already had my flashlight listed on my character sheet.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:48 am
by Philulhu

Charlie looked around thoughtfully. ”Could be they’re still around but more likely it’s some kind of local tradition. I mean, some of these cars have been here a long time, judging by the rust.” He looked around for a moment longer, then said, ”Who are Louis and Shirley? Friends of yours?”

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
The scarf is made of a very fine diaphanous material, Max has never seen anything like it before, it's very colourful.

Harry walks around the Buick shining his torch through the windows. As well as the scarf on the passenger seat there's some stuff in the back, it looks like a map, maybe a camera, and some papers.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:08 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren walks around the opposite sideof Buick, shining his torch in the back window, before trying the door handle. "Yeah they are friends, Shirley moved away about a year ago and Louis is one of my best friends."

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:37 am
by Snapper

Using two fingers, Max reached through and carefully pulled the scarf free, gently shaking the glass off it, or trying to. "That's a shame that it got covered in glass. It seems too good to be left behind."

Is there a name on the scarf anywhere? Or a label even?

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"So do this map, camera, and papers," says Harry, lighting them. "Louis is one of my best friends too." Once you've performed a Vulcan mind meld with someone, it forms an unbreakable bond.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:35 am
by BoyBlunder78
"At the best possible moment." Darren says smiling, but his eyes remain stern as he gives Harry the vulcan salute.🖖

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry shines his torch through the back window of the Buick and he and Darren look more closely at the contents of the back seat. There's
a map of Indiana half unfolded. The camera seems to be a Polaroid instant camera and it's sitting on a couple of photographs. Looked at more closely the papers are actually a ringbound notebook and a thin hardback book. The door to the Buick is locked when Darren tries the handle.

Max reaches through the broken window and retrieves the scarf, shaking off the shards of broken glass. He looks it over, there's a washed out label and he can't make out what it originally said but someone has written on it the letters S.A. in Sharpie. Once Max is finished, Darren unlocks the door through the broken window frame and then unfastens the back door.

In the back there's a large foldout map of Indiana. Nothing is marked on it but it is half folded so the area between Northfield and Indianapolis is uppermost. Pulling the photos out from underneath the camera, the topmost shows three people waving happily at the camera, a chisel jawed white man in his 20s, an attractive south Asian woman of a similar age, and between them what looks to be a blonde woman, although her face has been scratched and scribbled out. There's another photo of the man and Asian woman who seem to be hiking in the woods.

The notebook is largely empty, the rings filled with the spines of multiple pages which must have been ripped out and discarded. On the top page of lined paper it simply says Not my fault, not my fault, not my fault over and over again, filling half the page with the writing becoming more spidery and illegible the further down it goes. The hardback book is the 1985 yearbook for Lawrence Central High School in Indianapolis. Flicking through the book, the only things of note are a photo of one of the teachers, a Sarah Collins, which has been completely scribbled out in biro. Underneath the picture of another teacher, a Mark Thompson, someone's written I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

In the photo with the man and woman, the woman is wearing a scarf or shawl over her head, and it looks remarkably like the orange scarf from the car. Also, looking through the yearbook with a bit more attention, there's another teacher, a Safiya Ali, who very much resembles the woman in the photo.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:33 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren casts his eyes over the yearbook.....and sees nothing of interest being distracted by all the oddness surrounding this car and the rest of the parking lot.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Live long and prosper," says Harry, returning the Vulcan salute.🖖 He studies the things he found carefully. "Look what I found! This woman in the picture with the man is wearing that scarf, and the woman in this other picture has a picture in the yearbook. She's a teacher too, Satiya Ali."

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) looking at the papers and stuff:
d%

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:23 am
by Snapper

"And the scarf has the initials 'SA' on it too for further confirmation, if we needed it."

"I guess they might have gone into the amusement park? After half demolishing their Buick..."

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:44 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Just to clarify, the photos are of Safiya Ali and Mark Thompson, Safiya is wearing the scarf. The second woman's face is scratched out in the photos.  

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Or someone else wrecked it for them," says Harry.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:36 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie looked at the car then back at Max, shaking his head. ”No one’s going to break their own car. And the same way the rest were done? That doesn’t seem likely.”

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Logical," agrees Harry.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
While Charlie's looking at the Buick he notices something in the distance and points it out to the others. Inside the park, behind the outside fence. There's someone there. They're hard to make out with the dying sun behind them lending an unearthly orange glow. But it seems to be a child, carrying a red balloon. Dressed like a clown. In under the struts of the rollercoaster. Inside the park.

It's really hard to make this child out, they're wearing white face paint. But if you had to say, you'd think it was a boy rather than a girl. Maybe Louis, it's hard to say at this distance. Anyone who knows Shirley isn't sure but doesn't think it is her.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's definitely not Shirley," says Harry. "That kid looks like a boy, not a girl. Maybe it's Louis, but why would he put on a clown costume? And if he did, he wouldn't actually look like a clown."

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) looking at the child:
d%
I'm reminded of the Blackadder II episode where Blackadder knew that the disguised assassin in the cow costume wasn't Nursie because when Nursie dressed up as a cow, she sure didn't look like one.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:08 am
by Snapper

1d%40%

Extreme success.  

Max sighed. "I wasn't serious about their wrecking their own car. I was joking."

He peered at the clown child in the distance. "I hope that little kid is not lost."

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:48 am
by Philulhu

Notice stuff (60%) 1d100

Edit: Well, that’s a critical fail. Remind me how Charlie spotted the kid again? 🤣

The kid had caught Charlie’s attention but he couldn’t see any more than the balloon and a white face.

”Who’s that?” he asked, glancing at the others. ”One of your friends?”

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren shines his torch over to where everyone is pointing."Definitely not Shirley doesn't look bossy enough. Could be Louis, have tou been lending him any of your Stephen King books Harry? his costume looks like that scary clown guy from....er....cant remember what it's called.......HEY! YOU! LOUIS?" Darren shouts towards the figure.
  Hard Success  

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:13 pm
by Philulhu

”IT,” said Charlie. ”The book’s called ‘IT’.”

He looked at the child-clown, then at the others. Was this some kind of prank that someone was playing on them?

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:04 am
by Snapper

Max shrugged. "I prefer the 'World of the Unknown' books on ghosts, or UFOs, or monsters. I don't enjoy adult horror stories much, leaving aside what my folks would have to say on the matter."

"Shall we go and make sure that little kid is OK?" He started heading towards the clown child.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't lend him that one," says Harry. "Few people have the patience for it. It's even longer than The Stand. Yes, let's go see who this is and what he's doing here." He follows Max.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
Shrugging his shoulders Darren leaves the car, following the other two. Torch on, occasionally sweeping the parking lot, checking for anything else........odd.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
The child just stands there in the swirling mist, looking through the fence. Balloon hanging oddly still in the air. No sign of recognition or response to your shouts. You move towards the fence, walking around a rusted wreck in order to get there and...as you come around the back of the vehicle the child is gone. There's nothing there beyond the fence, just the mist. And the rollercoaster struts. No sign of the child. Or their balloon.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:30 am
by Philulhu

”Is this some kinda joke?” asked Charlie. ”Someone’s having you on!” He tried to keep his tone light and jokey, but it wasn’t working.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry takes out his tricorder and scans the area with it.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Moving right up to the fence, Darren swings his torch wildly through it, scanning the horizon. Still looking through the fence he says "Harry, I don't like this, feels.....familiar. "

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Harry's tricorder prop doesn't indicate anything. Shining his flashlight back and forth in the mist, Darren can't really make anything out. Apart from the rollercoaster struts, which make an almost lattice like backdrop, he can't distinguish anything within the park, no refreshment stands or any other rides.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry nods. "I'm not detecting the presence of any lifeforms," he says. "Except for us, of course."

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:20 am
by Snapper

Max nodded in response to Harry. "Unless ... they're undead!"

"Or, less likely, it's no life as we know it. Nevertheless, phasers to stun until we know more."

Max headed in the direction in which the clown kid was last seen. "HEY CLOWN KID! ARE YOU OK?!" As he did so, he pulled out the Silva orienteering compass hanging around his neck on a lanyard and took a bearing on the kid's last known location.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:02 pm
by Philulhu

Not exactly thrilled by the turn of events but also not wanting to be left standing on his own, Charlie started to wheel his bike forward…

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry nods and makes sure his phaser is set on stun, looking around carefully for any sign of movement.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren holds his bat to forehead to his head, closes his eyes, slips one hand into his pocket, mumbles something quietly and then follows Harry.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Up against the fence there's no sign of the kid, no sign of movement, just mist, and the lattice of rollercoaster struts. Using his compass Max can see that the chain fence runs roughly east to west and the kid was standing NNE from the Buick.

Standing up close against the fence and peering in the mist parts a little, just for a few seconds. On the ground, a little further inside the park there's a flash of colour. It looks like a pool of blood collecting in the gravel. Darren recognises it as the remains of a burst balloon.

With the mist thinning, a shape becomes visible in the fence line, further to the west. Something looming over the perimeter.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:18 am
by Philulhu

”Whassat?!” asked Charlie, peering into the gloom. He pulled on the handlebars of his bike, turning it so the lights illuminated the shape on the fence line.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry shines his light on the shape at the fence.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:59 pm
by Mephistophilis

It's more than a shape, getting closer you can see a break in the fence and rising above it a metal frame holding up the rusting letters announcing UNLAND, there's no sign of the missing F. And beneath that a giant looming clown head emerges from the gloom. It looks like it probably sat on top of the sign, overlooking the entrance. Now it's lying on the pavement outside the entrance to the park. A giant fibreglass head grinning in the mist. Cracked open, the inside strangely dark. And behind that the entrance, frozen in time. Old posters peeling off the ticket booth, with its smashed windows. Rusted turnstiles, arms long gone, gateway to forgotten dreams and...what?

The air is chilly, with only the slightest stirring of breeze. And it's silent, silent except the occasional creaking from deep in the mist, some invisible ride inside the park shifting, swinging. Memories of fun and excitement long gone. The magic of Funland long since faded away. Looking through the turnstiles into the thickening mist it is impossible to make anything out through the fog and the glare of the dying sun.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:44 am
by Philulhu

”There’s no ‘F’ in ‘Funland’,” Charlie remarked quietly. Coming out here had seemed like a ‘fun’ thing to do, no pun intended. Now he wasn’t so sure. He turned his handlebars in the direction of the clown’s head and shone his the light at it.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:28 am
by Snapper

Max studied the giant clown head for a moment with the aid of his flashlight. "This place would make for a great secret clubhouse, if it wasn't so creepy."

"Where'd the clown kids get to? HEY! CLOWN KID, ARE YOU OK?!"

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry shines his light on the ground where the child had been, hoping to illuminate any tracks he may have left.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking up at the clown head with a sense of unease Darren rattles the fence with his baseball bat. "HEY KID!! LOUIS!! SHIRLEY!!! WHEREAREYOU?" He bellowed into the park.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:59 am
by Philulhu

”Way to go…” Charlie said dryly. ”You realise that if there is anyone sneaking around in there, then you’ve just told them we’re here… …”

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry tries to discern any tracks where the clown-child was standing, but it's a little further inside the park from where he's standing and the ground is a mixture of weeds and gravel, and he doubts he'd be able to to see much more even if he was closer. From here he can't even see the red from the remnants of the balloon.

Both Max and Charlie shine their lights inside the big crack in the giant clown head. It's very dark inside and the lights barely penetrate into the gloom. Outlining the rim of the head confirms it does seem to be made of fibreglass but inside it isn't hollow like you'd expect. Instead it is filled with a criss-cross of pale supporting material forming a sort of meshwork. Looking at it directly for more than a few seconds your eyes start to swim, struggling to focus on the lines. It's like one of those magic eye pictures where the random dots look 3D if you stare at them for long enough and defocus your eyes. But this feels even weirder, you get a profound sense of déjà vu.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   SAN rolls Max and Charlie, 0/1 SAN loss  

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:34 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Sighing Darrens head drops, then looks up at Charlie "Ya know, no one asked you here, if ya getting too scared then just go home. Might be the safest place for you.Might be best for all of us."

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:52 pm
by CrackheadC.
A disembodied voice from inside the ticket booth calls out in a gravely tone, "You boys... shouldn't have come here... You'll all be dead by dawn! Leave now before we swallow your soul!" The voice cackles before it goes silent.

After a few moments of waiting for a reaction a stifled laugh squeaks out from inside the booth before a head pops through the broken window with a mop of red hair.

"Hahaha! You guys should see the look on your faces right now! It's priceless!" Dirk "Dirt" Blokowski, the odd-ball class clown and sometimes class jerk, begins laughing heartily and in between a lull in laughter chants "I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul!" and laughs again.

As he settles down Dirt asks, "Where's Louis? Wasn't that fatty here with you dorks?"

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Dirt roll Taunt  

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:12 pm
by CrackheadC.
OOC:   Taunt 80%:
1d100  

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jeez, that Dirt. Always making stupid jokes at the wrong time. He nearly frightened the bejesus out of you. Still, it was kinda funny. Kinda.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, now it all makes sense," says Harry, relaxing. "It was you all along. That was a pretty good prank, though. Really had us going for a little. We came here to meet Louis, but we haven't seen him yet."

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:35 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Shaking his head Darren looks at Dirk "Figures, Where's ya clown suit...ya clown!" He says, pointing his bat at Dirk.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:27 am
by Philulhu
SAN (75%) 1d100

Failed - one point lost.

”M-mom?” Charlie murmured, then jumped as he heard an airhorn! He looked around, shoulders hunched against any would-be attacker (or was it the impact that he knew was just seconds away?!)

When nothing happened, he tried to straighten up, acting as casually as he could. He could still feel the tension in his spine though. That felt taut as as a bowstring!

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:26 am
by Snapper

1d%55%

Success.  

"Imsorryimsorryimsorryimsorry..." Max staggered away from the clown head, repeating the same words like a stuck record. Suddenly, he bent over and vomited. "I didn't mean it, I didn't know..." The words came out muffled as he retched. Real tears ran down his face.

He staggered away a few feet more and sat down on the ground, hiding his face with his hands.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:54 am
by CrackheadC.
Dirk looks at Darren quizzically. "What do you mean where is my clown suit? Wasn't that weirdo clown kid I saw Louis, and isn't he with you?" Dirk then turns his attention to Max and Charlie, "Okay, quit it you two, I get it. I wasn't that scary, you don't have to play it up."

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:12 am
by BoyBlunder78
"No , we aint seen Louis yet. Soof it wasn't you, who was it? I would ask which idiot pal you brought with ys...but....you'd need a friend first. Anyway why ste you hete Dirt?" Darren asks letting the bat swing down by his side.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is theoretically possible that it was Louis," says Harry, "but that costume didn't look like his style. For one thing, it actually looked like a clown."

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:34 pm
by Snapper

Max stayed where he was, sitting on the ground, face buried in his hands, rocking slightly. He said nothing.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:26 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie sniffed loudly, blinking fiercely, then wiped his nose on the back of his hand.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:13 pm
by CrackheadC.

"Well, it's gotta be him cause who else would come out to this junkheap at night except you dorks." Dirk says. After, he walks over to Max and puts a hand on his shoulder, "Come on poindexter, chin up, I didn't even do a good impression - you should have seen it in the movie. No need to be this worked up over it."

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:09 am
by Snapper

Max reluctantly dragged his hands away from his pale, tear-stained face. He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped at his eyes and glasses.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
Rembering Louis's costume from last year Darren nods, " I think your right Harry definitely not his style a d looked too smal to be Shirley. Why are you here Dirt? You seen anyone around?"

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:08 pm
by CrackheadC.
"Only you guys and the clown kid, this place is kinda weird. I only came cause I thought it'd be fun to mess with you guys though." Dirk says.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:52 am
by Mephistophilis
You all stand around, facing off against each other. Trying to pretend you weren't shaken by what was in that head or Dirt's unexpected appearance (even if you don't get his reference). And somewhere just beyond the turnstiles there's a laugh, a child's laugh. Just for a second. It's impossible to tell if it was a boy or a girl.

But looking up to where the sound came from, the mist has cleared ever so slightly. And there's something emerging from the mist. It looks like a sign. Yes, a sign. A map of the park.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's convenient," says Harry, studying the map in the light of his flashlight and memorizing it.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:36 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie’s eyes narrowed at the sound of the child’s laughter. He looked at the others, then at the map. ”It sounds like someone’s trying to lead us in there… …” he said quietly.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:36 am
by Snapper

Looking embarrassed, sheepish, and more than a little guilty, Max attempted to dust himself off and strengthen up. He sauntered over to the map, fairly reluctantly, and studied it.

"I really don't like this place. Something is not right here."

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:41 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Neither do i, Max, but two of my best friends are in there, and i'm not goimg to leave them behind." Darren says, his voice quivering, the act of bravado as much for himself as anyone else. sShifting his grip on the baseball bat, looking down at the name scratched into it. " I'm going in, none of you have to come in, most of YOU LOT shouldn't even be here and ahould just go home!!"

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:57 am
by Philulhu

”You can’t be serious about going in there alone,” said Charlie, looking off into the park. ”If your friend’s in there, why not just call the cops?”

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:55 am
by Snapper

Max looked around. "I don't know where the nearest working phone box might be. Somewhere back the way we came, a few miles a ways, I'm guessing. I doubt there's a working phone to be found in the fun park."

"Then, the next problem would be convincing the police that someone's safety is at risk. Mostly, I think that's our hunch. We couldn't even really tell anyone much about what that clown kid is doing."

"We could perhaps report the damage to the Buick over there, they might attend for that if they're having a quiet night. On Halloween." Max shrugged, really having no clue how police prioritised.

"Right now, I really feel like I have a lot of good deeds I need to perform. Really need. So I'm willing to come into the park with those of you going in."

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Its Halloween....Hell Night... the police aren't gonna give a stuff about about kids phoning up, telling them their pals are lost in an abandoned amusement park...they'll just think we're pranking them. But ya know, go ahead..... " Darren tells Charlie.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:50 am
by CrackheadC.

"Oh no, I'm definitely not going home... not yet at least." Dirk retorts, blanching at the thought. He inspects the map briefly, "I'll go with you guys, it could be fun," Dirk looks around momentarily as if looking for agreement, "after all Darren is right, no cop is going to bother helping us tonight... or really any other night." Dirk adds morosely.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:27 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie shrugged. ”’sup to you. He’s your friend,” he said to Darren.

He remained sat on his bike, as yet undecided whether to stay or go.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's mine too," says Harry, "and I'm not leaving without him."

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Past the map it is difficult to make out much of the park with the thick, swirling fog. Visibility is limited to a few yards at most. And it's eerily quiet, only the very slightest creaking or squeaking at times. Where gaps appear in the mist it reveals sections of the vast and elaborate latticework that makes up the support structures of the rollercoaster. Although you're now unable to see the rails up above you, they've disappeared into the fog. But the rollercoaster seems to stretch in all directions and according to the map it encircles the park. The sun has now almost completely set, and gloom is welling up into the grey mist, the last dying bloom of rosy haze disappearing under the spreading black like an ink stain.

OOC:   On that map the entrance and turnstiles are at number 2. Number 1 indicates the parking lot. The map is painted on a free standing sign just beyond the entrance.  

In the distance, just peaking out of the fog, there's a flash of red. High up. Yes, there it is again. Looks like a red balloon. Must be a helium balloon. Rising up through the fog. Somewhere in among the rollercoaster support structure.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:01 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren sees nothing unusual...Well other than the obvious. "Right lets go and pay our way in." He says looking at the map before heading off towards the turnstiles.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think there's anyone here any more to take our money," says Harry, following.

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) at the park entrance:
d%

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:47 am
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Success.  
"Hey, I can see that red balloon floating up into the sky." Max pointed to where he'd spotted it.

Quickly pulling out the Silva compass hanging around his neck, Max tried to get a bearing on where he'd last seen the balloon. "Must be helium if it's rising. And must have been let go, obviously. Normally, this is about the point you hear some little kid start to cry that they've lost their balloon."

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:54 pm
by CrackheadC.

1d100
Notice Stuff (60%)
OOC:   Success  
Dirk hucks one last rock at the clown head before hopping over the dilapidated turnstile and stopping briefly on the path next to the guide map, "I guess we can take a look in the office that's on the map. It's only a little further down the path and would be the first place someone could actually get inside if they came here."

Dirk notices the balloon floating off, "If the wind is going, that kid could have let go of it anywhere."

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:20 pm
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60%) 1d100

”What balloon?” asked Charlie, looking up from the map towards the darkened sky.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"The office sounds like a good place to start," says Harry.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:58 pm
by Philulhu

”What office?” asked Charlie, looking down from the sky to the map in front of him.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:24 am
by Snapper

"What wind?"

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:49 am
by Mephistophilis
Max doesn't really need to use his compass to know the balloon is fifty yards or more west of where he saw the clown-kid. It's difficult to estimate how far back it is but certainly it looks ten to twenty yards further into the park than when he saw the kid up against the fence. And there's no wind.

The office seems to be beyond the struts of the rollercoaster and you can't see it from the entrance given the thick fog. Following the gravel path further into the park you walk beneath the criss-crossing metal support structure of the rollercoaster which crosses over the path above you. Where the map indicated there is indeed an office. Or what's left of it. The wood and aluminium structure is nothing but a shell, the windows seem long gone and the floor inside is covered in a thick layer of leaves and dirt. There's a few fitted counters and tables inside the building, warped and crumbling from long exposure to the weather. The only real thing in here is a poster pasted onto one wall. It's incongruously intact given the state of the rest of the place.

Beyond the office you can't make anything else in the mist but large shadows do seem to loom against the grey blanket of sky. Presumably some of the old rides casting shadows in the dying embers of the day's light. The shapes they make in the fog are strange and unnatural, almost like Rorschach ink-blots. It's unnaturally quiet. But somewhere in the distance, further up the path. You can hear something. A sort of rustling. Or squeaking. It's oddly loud in the still night air.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry looks for desks, filing cabinets, or anywhere else records may have been kept.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:44 am
by Snapper

Max was still trying to recover after the clown's head incident. He went nowhere near the poster, did not shine a flashlight on it and did not look at it. "I'm steering well away from creepy clown stuff for now."

Max contented himself with shining his flashlight on the ground outside around the remains of the office, looking for any tracks not created by his companions or he himself.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Harry roll Luck. Max roll Nature.  

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:24 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie wheeled his bike up to the office and pushed down the kickstand, making sure it wasn’t going to fall over before he dismounted. He pulled the bike lamp from its holder on the handlebars and shone it around. The light fell on the picture of the clown and he winced, quickly turning the beam away and looking around the rest of the office. ”Why do they have to be so damn freaky?!” he grumbled.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 pm
by Snapper

1d%10%

Critical success.  

Max cautiously moved from point to point around the outside of the office, carefully studying the ground.

Well, that was unexpected.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's my theory that clowns are deliberately made to look creepy in order to frighten children," says Harry. "Well, it's more of a hypothesis."

Luck roll (39% stat) in the office:
d%

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Leaving his bike next toCharlie's ,Darren walks into the building, shing his torch about the room, letting the beam fall onto the poster, a shiver down his spine as he stares at the clown. "That clowns some freaky Stephen King shot." He walks over to Harry "Wanna hand rifling through these cabinets?: Any sign of Shirley,Louis?...anyone?"

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
Circling the office, looking at the build ups of leaves, dirt, and gravel, Max is surprised to see evidence of quite a lot of disturbance, all around the building. The marks he can make out, where the footprints have been made in the mud, seem to be adult size shoes, not little kids anyway. Following the prints, some head north along the gravel path, into the dark fog. Others seem to veer off across the grass, parallel to the rollercoaster, which he can see from a sign high up on the structure is called Mr Fun's Big Twister. Quite a number track to and from the entrance and he follows these back under the rollercoaster struts. The structure of the rollercoaster is vast, struts form a dense latticework, criss-crossing back and forth above him. Without the sun, the lattice seems denser, closer together. For a moment Max can't seem to see the route the path takes beneath the rollercoaster and shines his flashlight, throwing the struts into sharp relief, the gaps between them thick with broiling grey mist. But he can't see the way through. He can't make out the entrance through the latticework. There doesn't seem to be any way through.

Tucked under some of the worktops, Harry finds a couple of old metal filing cabinets. They're twisted and dented but he can't seem to get the drawers open. Darren helps him to yank at a couple of the drawers but they're stuck fast, probably still locked.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:04 pm
by CrackheadC.

Dirk stares at the clown poster for a few moments. "Creepy that this thing looks so new while everything else here is a junkheap. Did someone just put it up?"

Dirk reaches up and tries to take the poster down carefully.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Can I get a DEX roll for Dirk to take the poster down carefully  

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:56 pm
by CrackheadC.
Dex roll vs 70,
1d100

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:23 am
by Snapper

"Uh, guys, I've found quite a lot of tracks here. Grown ups by the looks." Max used his flashlight to highlight what he'd seen.

"I'm not really sure what all this means. Tracks to and from the entrance. We've got some tracks heading north along the path further into the park. Others go into the grass following parallel to the roller coaster. Some maybe go under the roller coaster but I can't see how they even get under there."

"Certainly other people besides us have been here recently."

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:55 am
by Mephistophilis
Very carefully, Dirk slowly peels the clown poster off the wall. He's not quite sure what it was stuck up with but it does seem to come off fairly easily, tearing only a little. Underneath the print the paper is yellowing, it looks pretty old. The patch on the wall uncovered by removing the poster is a different colour to the rest of the wall, much more vivid like it hasn't faded in the sunlight. Flipping over the poster Dirk sees quite a detailed picture has been hand drawn on the back in pen and pencil. It's hard to make out exactly what it shows in the gloom and he shines his light onto it. There's a drawing of a man standing between two columns holding something above his head. And underneath the picture in red ink someone's written Hi Dirt, Welcome to Unland. Your Gonna Like it Here!

OOC:   That's a SAN roll for Dirk, 0/1 loss.  

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Must be locked," says Harry. "Some offices hide filing cabinet keys by taping them to something, even the back of the cabinet. If you're going to that, why even lock it? But it could work to our advantage." He begins searching for a key.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:37 am
by CrackheadC.
SAN 60.
1d100
Fail, lose 1.

Dirk shudders and drops the poster with a fright. After a moment he calls out to the other kids, "Oh, ha ha, very funny you guys. So you saw me coming and pulled a fast one on me?" He picks the poster back up and tries to inspect the drawing more closely to see if he can recognize anything else strange. "Whichever one of you drew this did a pretty good job, I'll admit."

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Anyone who might not recognise the picture as Ash from Evil Dead can roll Know to see if they do if/when Dirk shows it to them.

Harry roll Notice Stuff to look for a key.  

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:25 pm
by Philulhu

I expect that’s something that Charlie would know.

Charlie looked at the posted. ”That’s Ash. From Evil Dead? You seen it?” he asked Dirt. Seeing him shaken was making Charlie feel better.

He tapped the message. ”Who knew you were coming here?”

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:05 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren walked over to Dirk looking at the poster he turns to him and sys "Groovy"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:29 am
by Mephistophilis
Dirk studies the poster more closely, systematically running his light up and down it. The front is in good condition, the printing still seems fresh, the black ink is crisp, but there is a little yellowing around the edges of the paper. Flipping it over onto the back the yellowing is more noticeable and the paper seems more creased, although at least some of that is an illusion caused by the very fine lines drawn there.

The drawing is from the film Evil Dead II, an unrated horror film that came out this year. It shows the hero Ash (with his hand replaced by a chainsaw) as depicted in a page from the mythical book the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis, The Book of the Dead from the film. It is supposed to be a prophesy about 'the Hero from the Sky' who comes to save people from the evil baddies, and reflects the ironic scenes at the end of the film where Ash is sent back in time to fight the deadites again. The picture is a pretty good reproduction of the one seen in the film. Only this one one has writing underneath in a sort of watery-red ink, presumably meant to reflect the opening of the film where the Necronomicon is said to have been inked in blood. And the writing talks about Dirk.

Funland has been closed for years so there's no way this picture was already on the back of an original poster since Evil Dead II only came out this year. The poster itself seems old, there's ways of making things look old but it'd be a pretty impressive feat to reproduce an old Funland poster and then age the paper. And the differential fading of the paint where the poster was up on the wall looks genuine, that wasn't faked. So somehow someone got this picture from the film onto the back of the poster then stuck it back on the wall. And they did a good job, it looks like the one from the film as far as you remember (if you saw it), it's pretty intricate. The writing in red is pretty coarse in comparison, it's probably not blood, that doesn't dry this red - that's only in films, not real life. And it's odd they spelled Your wrong. Why ever they did it, someone went to a lot of trouble. And you can't really explain how this poster remained in such good condition compared to the rest of the office, unless it was removed years ago then...

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:04 am
by CrackheadC.

Science Class: 10%,
1d100

"Oh that's so weird man. I did see this one a while ago actually. I snuck into a theater to see it, but I didn't talk to anyone about the movie cause I didn't want my pops to find out I saw it." Dirk is a bit visibly shaken, "I didn't tell anyone I was coming here either."

Dirk hands the poster to anyone who wants to examine it closer with a shudder. "I can't figure out how they did it, but someone definitely took this one too far, even for me."

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:19 am
by Philulhu

Not holding out much hope for this (10%).

1d100

Is that fumble on a skill less than 50%?!

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:28 am
by BoyBlunder78
Here goes...

Aww,poor Dirt not nice being the on the butt end of a joke is it?! Well something weird is going on here, the kid woth the ballon, all the cars, broken mirrors now this.... looks like something has a hard-on for ya" Darren says with a smile, but his heart beating hard and his palms sweaty as pits on a brave face. "And don't think it was any of us Dirk none of us knew you were coming, heck i didn't know these two were coming. " He says gesturing to Max and Charlie.

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry can't find a key, so he takes a look at the poster. "Someone pranked you really well," says Harry, "and I mean really well. Whoever did this went to a lot of effort. The movie only came out this year, but the poster looks to be years old. There are ways to make things appear old when they're not, but that would be very impressive to reproduce an old Funland poster and then age the paper. And it looks like there was a poster was here for a long time, based on the fading on the wallpaper. Someone had to have taken this old poster down, put the movie poster on the other side, and then put it back on the wall. Did a great job of it too. Makes you wonder why someone so clever would make such an obvious grammatical error. The red writing isn't blood. Real blood doesn't stay that red when it dries. And yet the poster looks in much better shape than the rest of the office. It's like someone removed it years ago, and then did some work on it and put it back more recently."

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) looking for the key:
d%
Science Class roll (80% skill) looking at the poster:
d%

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:25 am
by Snapper

Max was stoically staying outside. He called to the others through a broken office window. "The other possibility is that the person who wrote that message to D..., ah, Dirk is or had access to a clairvoyant. A person with the ability to see glimpses of the future."

"I've just finished an excellent Time-Life Mysteries of the Unknown book on ESP. Extra. Sensory. Perception. Time-Life is reputable. The book's in the school library if you're interested." Max was quite earnestly serious about this.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"It could be a time traveler too," says Harry. "That is theoretically possible."

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:25 pm
by Snapper

Max looked surprised for a second but then nodded agreement. "Time travel cannot be discounted. It would be a lot of effort to go to, just to annoy Dirk, but it is a possibility."

"The Star Trek episode Tomorrow is Yesterday had an excellent time travel plot, and of course Star Trek IV was brilliant. I have the novelisation of the movie."

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:51 pm
by Philulhu

”Well, that was a fascinating discussion,” said Charlie dryly.

”But what are we doing now? Going for a look around?” He was trying to sound more confident than he felt.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Dirk may not be famous now," says Harry, "but anything can happen in the future. Maybe one day he'll pull off a prank so big that someone will want to come back in time to get prevenge. Star Trek IV was excellent, but Star Trek II was the best." He glances up when Charlie speaks, not aware that the discussion had actually ended. "See if you can find the key to the filing cabinets. I couldn't, but it's a big office, and it's a mess. There must be some important documents in there for them to keep them locked."

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:11 am
by Snapper

Rather reluctantly, Max entered the office and started searching for the key. "I'd suggest we follow one of the sets of tracks I located. There are three options, north along the path, on the grass following the roller coaster, or under the roller coaster. Somehow."

1d%FF40%

Fail.  

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:16 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie looked around. Where would he hide a key if he didn’t want anyone to find it?

Notice stuff (60%) 1d100

Edit: Yay, just made it 😎

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm curious about the ones going under the coaster," says Harry, "but let's see if anything we find here gives us a better lead first."

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:18 am
by Snapper

"My folks only let me watch Wrath of Khan after I turned twelve, a few months ago. We hired it put on VHS. It was very good. Those earwigs. But on personal preferences, I liked the happier ending of IV. That's just me."

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
By the door you all entered through, Charlie sees a slim metal box mounted in the narrow space between the frame of the door and the wall. The front of it swings open when he pulls on it and inside are rows of hooks, a couple of them have keys hanging from them. Selecting one of the smaller keys, Charlie takes it and tries the filing cabinet. It turns and he feels the lock mechanism disengaging. He tries to open the top drawer in triumph but the cabinet has obviously warped a bit and it takes a lot of tugging and wiggling until he gets the drawer open. Inside the top drawer there isn't much, a buff manila folder with some sheets of typewritten paper inside and lying on the bottom an envelope marked CONFIDENTIAL.

Obviously the first thing Charlie rips open is the confidential envelope. Inside there's a collection of typewritten sheets held together with a paperclip. The top sheet is a curriculum vitae for Donald LeMann, and there's a passport-style photograph clipped to the front. The photo shows an average looking white man with blonde hair dressed in casual clothes. But a wide strip across his eyes has been scratched out. The rest of the pages are dull stuff about various jobs and boring office notes about LeMann.

Inside the folder there's a series of memos written by Ina Matthews. They are about the park's 'media strategy' in dealing with the revelations about Donald LeMann, it's all 'plausible deniability' and 'safeguarding measures.'

Donald LeMann's CV is pretty unremarkable. Originally from Northfield, he seems to have worked in a few amusement parks and carnivals around the country before returning to Indiana and starting at Funland in 1970. There's a sheet of handwritten notes that seem to have been torn from a lined notepad, headed 'Interview for D LeMann, 2nd Feb 1970.' Underneath the author records that they have been unable to contact any of LeMann's supplied referees and also notes that no one seems to recall a child by the name of Donald LeMann from the local schools during the period he is listed as living here. Then there's a few sheets marked as disciplinary incidents that detail a number of warnings LeMann seems to have received for 'inappropriate' contact with park visitors including giving out his number and several complaints from guests that he followed them or was verbally or physically inappropriate with them or their children in a sexual manner in the park. These go back almost to the time LeMann was taken on in 1970.

In Ina Matthews's memos she talks about the goals of 'undermining the credibility' of complaints and complainants, 'denying any connection' between LeMann and the park, 'reassuring the public' about their safety in Funland and enhanced security measures being implemented, and finally 'emphasising full cooperation with law enforcement' investigating LeMann's alleged crimes. What's remarkable is that these memos are accompanied by news clippings that show how even as details of LeMann's crimes emerged over time, Matthews continued to recommend attacking the victims, even threatening legal action, including the families of those who died, as well as denying any connection with the park despite the evidence that LeMann committed many of his crimes inside Funland itself.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:53 pm
by CrackheadC.

Dirk stares blankly at Harry as he rattles off his analysis of the poster and its message before stating, "That's a whole lot of words to say that this poster and message shouldn't be possible...right?"

As Harry and Max prattle on about the possibility of "prevenge", time travel, and ESP, Dirk laughs "Yeah, maybe a wizard put this poster here." He follows the others into the office on their search while continuing, "I never really got Star Trek myself. But Star Wars was great!" Dirk imitates swinging a lightsaber including making the signature Whoosh sound.

When Charlie got the file cabinet up and grabbed the confidential envelope, Dirk snatched up the larger manila folder to give it a quick peruse. Unable to figure out what he was looking at, Dirk passed it on to one of the more nerdy kids in the group.

Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic: 30%
1d100

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:25 am
by Philulhu

Reading, writing and arithmetic (30%)

1d100

Hard success!

By no means a gifted scholar, a lot of stuff that Charlie did read was related to horror and true crime, so this felt natural to him. He scanned the pages and frowned.

”Jesus! They knew what this LeMann guy was up to and they were just trying to cover their own asses!” he said.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:46 am
by Snapper

1d%80%

Success.  
Max pushed his glasses up then methodically read. "You are right Charlie. That Ina Matthews woman hid everything to protect this stupid fun park and herself."

"This is an adult in a responsible position, making this decision to lie and hide something awful from the police. Nothing like this happened in The Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew."

"There must have been some very angry parents and kids after this."
Max looked distracted by this last thought.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says Harry, reading over his shoulder. "I bet the police would be really interested in seeing these."

Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic roll (60% skill) to understand the documents:
d%

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:36 am
by CrackheadC.
OOC:   Assuming one of the brighter kids explains the papers as they discuss it, do the handwritten notes that state LeMann's references and education didn't line up suggest that the park knew this before his hiring, or it is something they tacked onto his file after some incident?  

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren casts his eyes over the papers.
OOC:   Hard Success!  
"That woman seems a right bitch!!! How can you hide what he can ya accuse the victims and families...." Darren says , his knuckles whitening as he holds his bat.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
It isn't really possible to tell when the failure to contact the references or check out his qualifications happened because it is recorded on separate sheets of notepad paper to the initial interview notes.

However, both Charlie and Darren can see the writing is the same and there's even some signs of the handwriting coming through the pages that suggests the notes were written at the same time or at least consecutively on the same notepad.

Darren also notices that LeMann claimed on his CV to go to the same elementary school as he did, Zionsville. But he's pretty sure the school didn't open until 1966, it was the twentieth anniversary last year.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:36 am
by Philulhu

”Adults, man! They covered it up to save themselves, rather than protecting us kids!” Charlie cried indignantly.

”That sucks!”

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says Harry, "but now we have the proof. Now we have something to show the police."

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:08 am
by Philulhu

”Ok, so we take this with us,” said Charlie.”Gotta make them pay for what they’ve done!” This wasn’t like one of the murders he usually read about, they were abstract, not quite real. This had happened to kids, probably about the same age as him. Mentally, he made a note of the TV programmes that this needed to go to.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:59 am
by Snapper

"If everyone's happy to, you can put all these notes and stuff in my backpack."

Max opens his backpack and makes space behind some well-thumbed comics (including Detective Comics: Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, Doctor Strange, and Strange Tales).

"Back to my earlier question. Do we want to follow the footprints I could see? One group go north along the path. Another follows the roller coaster. The last, somehow, goes under the roller coaster."

"At the moment, I think Harry and I both vote for under the roller coaster."

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Never split the party," says Harry. "It's a bad idea in Dungeons & Dragons, and it's a bad idea in situations like this. No end of grief would come of it. If we're going to stay here, I'm curious about what's under the coaster, but maybe we should go to the police now that we have something to show them."

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
The light of the sun has completely disappeared, leaving the office in inky darkness, lit only by the occasional thin beams of the flashlights, tracing out shafts of swirling grey mist. There nothing beyond the limit of the light, thick fog edging suffocatingly close. You can taste it, wet and cloying. Heavy and chilling. The air very, very quiet. Except, there's that rustling noise again, somewhere to the north. Occasional looming shadows flitting across the edge of your vision that seem to have melted away when you look.

The lines represent where Max has found footprints.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:33 am
by Philulhu

”We’re not too far from the gate, so why don’t we go an check what’s making that noise, then we can go the the police?” said Charlie, nodding in the direction of the rustling noise.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Because in every horror movie I've ever seen, that's always a mistake," says Harry. "That and splitting up the group. And going in the basement. Though sometimes you have to do that."

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:10 am
by BoyBlunder78
" That creep even lied about the school he went to. I went ro that school and im pretty sure it wasnt open back then." Darren's head snapped round at the mention of splitting the party, "NO! WE ARE NOT SPLITTING THE PARTY!" Slamming his bat down on the table, the scrawled name on it facing toward the group." Harry's right, that's how we lose fri...people and I.. We aren't losing anyone!!" At the mention of the basement Darren can feel the tears build up as he turns away from the group, his hand reaching into his pocket.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:24 am
by Snapper

Max sighed, looked at Harry and raised his eyebrows, but continued in an even, reasonable voice. "I believe you misunderstood my question. The groups I was talking about are the groups of footprints I found, not us. I wasn't proposing we split the team, obviously, I'm not an idiot. I may not have watched horror movies but I've read Dracula."

"And quite a lot of old Marvel Tomb of Dracula comics, as it happens. Although, sadly, the philistines have discontinued the title."

"I was asking for a vote, the idea being that we all go with the majority vote. That being the American way."

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, okay," says Harry. "I vote we go to the police, now that we have something to show them."

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:19 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   So what are you doing? Where are you going?  

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 am
by Snapper

"Well, going to the police involves back-tracking the way we came in, which is where the roller coaster now seems to be blocking our path. Harry is voting police and I want to head that way too, because I want to see what's happened to the path."

"So that's two votes to head south along the path, I guess."

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:43 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Lets check out the roller coaster, we must've got all turned around getting in here. Has any of you
got a compass?"
Darren asked.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:57 pm
by CrackheadC.

"I'm fine with whichever way you guys want to go," Dirk says, heeding Darren's outburst, but not sure the significance of the 'Ian' scratched on to his bat. "Together, of course," Dirk adds. "But didn't you guys say you were coming here to meet some friends of yours? Unless you think they are coming late, don't you think they'd be further in the park?"

Dirk doesn't seem to care which way the group decides to guy, but he does take one last look at the poster with the message to him before grabbing it, rolling it into a tube and sticking it into his back pocket.

Unless something comes up in the discussion or occurs before things get decided that would make Dirk really want to follow a different path than the others, I will say that Dirk is happy to go with the majority vote.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"They weren't waiting out front for us," says Harry, "and I don't think they'd have gone further in before we arrived."

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:30 am
by Snapper

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:43 am "Lets check out the roller coaster, we must've got all turned around getting in here. Has any of you
got a compass?"
Darren asked.

Max nodded to Darren. "Good question. And yes, I do have my Silva orienteering compass on a lanyard around my neck. You might have seen me using it to take bearings a few times." He pulled out the compass on its lanyard and used it to point out north, south, east and west.

"I can tell you we have been heading basically north, exactly as you'd expect from the funland map we saw. We haven't been turned around."

"My theory is there is some kind of mechanical gate thing, built into the roller coaster struts. That gate maybe was designed to swing shut and cut off the path. Maybe it was a nighttime security thing? And perhaps the moisture from the fog loosened it, causing it to swing shut behind us?"

"Or someone has intentionally shut it. Or I was completely wrong with what I thought I saw. All the more reason to check it out."

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
Max can confirm that they have travelled north from the entrance, underneath the rollercoaster, and they should simply be able to walk back south again to return to the parking lot. Walking south along the gravel walk, following some of the prints found by Max, you soon reach the rollercoaster.

From the outside of the park it had looked like the creaking remains of an admittedly huge, rusting rollercoaster. From here it seems different somehow. There's no sign of the rails for a start, they must be high up above, invisible in the fog. You can't see anywhere to board the rollercoaster but vaguely recall from the map that maybe the station is towards the back of the park. In the near darkness, the latticework of struts seems even denser than before, closer together, forming a sort of tight mesh. Shining flashlights up at the structure the gaps between the latticework are thick with mist.

And the struts of the rollercoaster run right across the path. There's no break in the latticework to provide a route through back to the entrance yet the footprints seem to run underneath, back and forth. Walking up and down the tall structure, shining flashlights up and down you can't see where you came from. The gravel track just disappears under the dense mesh. Illuminated by your flashlights the mesh lights up, looking almost like a curtain of strings, the ends disappearing into the darkness where dim, vague shapes twitch and dance. And your flashlights don't seem to shine through the meshwork, the broiling grey mist between the strings is too thick.

This structure is way too elaborate for holding a rollercoaster. If anything the amount of material in the structure would be counterproductive, adding too much weight and weakening it. And what are those struts made of? They look too flimsy!

Trying to peer through the gaps between the strings you can't see anything. At least, you can't see through the meshwork. But there's something else there, in the mist. There it is again. Maybe it's not even something you're seeing, maybe it's just a feeling. But it's like there are eyes in there. Watching you.

OOC:   Sanity loss 0/1d3 for seeing eyes in the mist  

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:38 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Looking up into the mist seeing nothing before becoming distracted by the support struts, " There is something off about these struts, it shouldn't work. We did a project in class about suspension bridges and support structures and these just aren't....right...." Darren says as he taps the supports with his bat.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:20 am
by Snapper

1d%FFF40%

Success  

1d%FF40%

Fail.  

"You have the makings of an engineer, Darren. I'm no expert but I believe you are correct. This is not how you build a roller coaster. It's all wrong."

"I don't understand what is happening here, but it's something very odd. Like a page out of one of my World of the Unknown books."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is highly illogical," says Harry.

Science Class roll (80% skill):
d%
Notice Stuff roll (43% skill):
d%

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:08 am
by CrackheadC.

Notice Stuff: 60%
1d100

Fix Stuff: 40%
1d100

Current SAN: 59
1d100
Failed, Lose 1d3
1d6/2

Dirk follows the boys back down the path until the reach the coaster's supports where the others discuss how the construction is all wrong, "If it isn't supposed to hold itself up, then how is it doing it?" The conversation was a little beyond him, so he walked along the latticework a few feet on either side of the path examining it while the others continued discussing .

A little off the side of the path, where the others' flashlights' beams were dim, Dirk decided to take a closer look at the mesh. Dirk lights his brother's zippo before leaning in close to the latticework trying to peer through the dense mist before something causes him to jerk back and fall to the ground and sends him scrambling back to the group. "Jesus Christ, there's something in the mist. Something is watching us from in there" he stammers before attempting to regain his composure.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:53 am
by Philulhu

Fix Stuff (10%) 1d100

Notice Stuff (60%) 1d100

”Are you sure we haven’t taken a different path?” asked Charlie. After all, there was no way they could have passed through the girders here. Accidentally going a different way was the only rational explanation.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:52 am
by Snapper

Max looked over at Dirk nervously. "Let's get a few feet away from the roller coaster. I think we might have to accept that getting out the way we came in won't work. And yes, Charlie, pretty sure."

"We could follow the footprints that are going sort of east along the grass, following the inside of the roller coaster. Or just keep going north along the path."

Already unnerved by the clown's head incident, Max wasn't in a rush to see who or what was inside the struts of the roller coaster.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"We didn't get turned around," says Harry. "The compass reading was accurate. If there had been magnetic interference, the needle wouldn't hold still. The office is still over there, where we left it. It's just the entrance that's blocked so we can't leave. This must be one of those places. All right, let's follow the tracks under the roller coaster. That's our best chance of finding another way out of here."

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
Darren taps the support struts with his bat. Instead of the solid thunk he was expecting there's a sort of crunch. He places his hand on it. Rather than metal or wood it has a slightly spongy feel to it, a bit of give, but slick on the surface, gristly even. He pushes it harder and the lump of almost meaty material bends and then cracks, crumbling in his hand.

Pulling himself up off the ground, Dirk glances back at the meshwork. From here the mesh really looks like a series of interwoven strings, strings twitching and sliding back and forth, like they're being pulled from the ends which trail into the darkness, the vague shapes of human figures manipulating the strings are just visible at the corners of his vision.

OOC:   An Extreme success? You didn't want that. Another SAN check 1/1d3 please.  

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:56 pm
by CrackheadC.

Current SAN: 58
1d100
Pass, Lose 1

No, I suppose I didn't, lol.

Dirk turns to look at the struts on last time before his eyes seem to glaze over before focusing sharply, "Don't touch it! It's a web!" Dirk shouts forcefully. He charges at Darren and yanks him by the collar away from the struts. "Don't anyone touch it! It's not a support beam it's... it's... I don't know what the hell that is, but it's not a roller coaster, they are pulling the strings on it... like a puppet or something."

Dirk doesn't seem to be making much sense, but he backs away from the "web" slowly and carefully before putting his hands on his knees and trying to catch his breath as he hyperventilates for a few moments until his breathing begins to steady.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 am
by Philulhu

Notice Stuff (60%) 1d100

Charlie looked at Dirk, then eyed the ‘web’ carefully. He wanted to test it but didn’t want to touch it. He scanned the floor for a stick or something similar but didn’t see anything, so he looked at the others.

”So, what are we gonna do?” he asked.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"There is a way out of here," says Harry. "We just have to proceed logically and find it. Darren and I have been in a similar situation before, and we got out of it. We need to explore, together, and acquire the data we need to come up with a plan to escape."

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:40 am
by BoyBlunder78
At Harry's mention of those places, Darrens head snaps up, looking more intently at the struts, shing his torch towards the mesh as Dirk grabs him, shouting about a web. He looks at Dirk calmly though his heart is racing, then talks to everyone.Harry's right, we need to stick together, always in eye sight of each other, and NO wandering off alone, if any of you hear or see anything off, you tell all of us, no matter how bat shit it maybe. Like Dirk says, keep away from the mesh.Max have you seen this? Pointing towards the strut he's just slightly damaged.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:03 pm
by Snapper

Not without some hesitation, Max came closer and peered at the broken strut.

Can Max make a roll of any kind to think what it might be.
Does the mention by Dirk of web seem even possible?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:15 am
by Mephistophilis
Looking at the struts and lattice work it's kinda strange.It looks like a criss-crossing structure of thick supporting beams, each one has an unusual, glistening quality. Examining the one broken by Darren it has a gritty, gristly texture, at the ends of the fractured segments reveals a strange, almost chunky material, the texture like defrosting meat, dribbles of something that could even be oil...or blood.

Then on the other hand, when looking at it from a different angle, it's more like...rope maybe, textured, sinewy, sliding, back and forth. Like a mesh of strings or maybe even a web. A web vibrating as something pulls the threads, or walks along them...

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:27 am
by Philulhu

Science Class/Nature (10%) - both solid areas of expertise for Charlie…

1d100

Edit: Oops - accidentally rolled twice. Failed both times… 🙄

Charlie moved forward for a closer look but none of it made any sense to him.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:34 am
by Snapper

1d%L60%

Extreme success.  

Max pushed his glasses up and peered at the strut. "Maybe it could be rope, or string...?"

"...Or it is web. Is it moving? ... Vibrating?"

Max straightened up and starting backing away from the struts, looking up. "Everyone get away from that, right now. That might be a web and there might be something up there moving on it. Let's go, now."

"I can't explain it but I know there was a time in prehistory, before us or even the dinosaurs, when there really were giant spiders."

Max was clearly fighting the urge to panic and there was no possibility from the sound of his voice that he was joking.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry backs away from the web. "Must have been a female giant spider that spun that," he says. "Only female spiders spin webs."

Science Class roll (80% skill) about the liquid:
d%

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
Less than a web it reminds Max more of tendons, stringy, connective tissues sliding over one another. Like parts of a body interacting dynamically. But then he looks at it again having stepped back and it just seems like a criss-crossing latticework of metal or wood. Denser than he'd expect but not obviously organic like it seemed before. In this thick fog it really does seem to distort things when you have to shine a flashlight onto things to see them properly.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:30 am
by Snapper

"I think I've heard that before, about female spiders."

Max started to calm down once he had a few yards distance from the weird struts.

"Actually, maybe not a spider's web. They seem more like tendons. That's what they make me think of." He pointed to the two tendons on the inside of his wrist to demonstrate what he was talking about.

"I'm sorry for suggesting giant spiders. But I don't know if this is actually better. It's definitely just as weird. And gross. I suggest we don't get too close to the struts and definitely do no touch them again."

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Harry. "It's life, Max, but not as we know it."

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Right, so we all agree? We move away from this roller coaster? Then what? The other footprints? Darren asks.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:58 pm
by Snapper

Max managed a small "Ha!" in response to Harry, and even a small smile. But he was clearly struggling with the strangeness of this evening.

He looked at Darren. "I don't know. We could head east-ish and follow those footprints that seem to be following the roller coaster but not going under it."

"Or we get away from the roller coaster and continue north-ish on the gravel path. I have to say I wouldn't be sorry to get away from the roller coaster."

"And ... You realise we're trapped now, until we find another way out."

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:04 pm
by Mephistophilis
So where we going?

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:59 pm
by Philulhu

”Where’s the map?” asked Charlie. He studied it for a few moments and said, ”The way I see it, we’ve got two options. We head further in, or we follow the rollercoaster/fence and see if we can find a way out.”

He looked at the ‘web’ beneath the rollercoaster and shook his head. ”I’m not convinced we’ll find a way out, so that leaves going in as our only option, unless anyone’s got a better idea?”.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll find a way out," says Harry. "Darren and I, along with our friends, did it before in a similar situation. I think you're right, though, we should head further into the park to the north. To get out, we have to go in deeper."

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:51 am
by BoyBlunder78
" I think Harrys roght, we have to.gp in further to find a way out. Hopefully we wontbhave to burn the place down this time. Seeing how the exit just vanished behind us , i don't think skirting the fence will help." Darren says as his shoulders slump.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:35 pm
by Snapper

"I think we're all agreed, we had north along the path, further into the fun park. And away from the roller coaster."

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:31 pm
by CrackheadC.
"Anywhere is better than here" Dirk says with a shudder and begins to head north along the path.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:33 pm
by Mephistophilis
Walking along the gravel path, further into the park, if anything the fog gets thicker, feels heavier in your lungs. Making breathing just that little more difficult than it should be. A cloying, wet sensation in the mouth. Not far beyond the office you can see some shapes coalescing out of the mist. To the left there is the outline of some kind of amusement park ride. And to the right of the path there seems to be the remains of what might have once been a concession stand. But is now largely collapsed with the awning half covering the wooden sides. Cans of soda scattered about the ground. And in one corner the material is moving, flapping almost. With it that sound, a sort of rustling.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry shines his flashlight on the rustling material to reveal what it is.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren's eyes follow the beam of light, adding his own to it.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
It's just a corner of the dirty striped awning, folded across a strut of the collapsed concession stand. The material twitches irregularly and the rustling sound occurs in unison. Harry cautiously reaches down and pulls pack the fabric. Beneath it there's a small brown creature, probably a rat. It's head and shoulders are crushed beneath the wooden strut, the rear legs and tail intermittently spasming and struggling ineffectually against its entrapment.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:30 am
by Philulhu

Charlie looked down at the struggling rat. ”Someone should put it out of its misery,” he said.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry nods, but he isn't about to do it himself. He also doesn't want to look at the rat's face, in case it's human.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:39 am
by Snapper

"Is it definitely beyond rescuing?" Max tried to assess how much damage the creature would likely have taken.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Max - roll Nature, Science Class, or even First Aid  

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry examines the rat too, trying to see if there's anything that can be done.

Science Class roll (80% skill) to determine if the rat can be saved:
d%

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:21 am
by Snapper

1d%L60%

Fail.  

"I don't know if it can be saved but I hate to see any animal trapped and suffering."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren looks down at the rat, the colour draining from his face as he places one hand in his pocket."He shouldn't suffer like that." He whispers.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:23 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie’s not academically gifted, so let’s try First Aid (30%) 1d100

Edit: Turns out he isn’t gifted with that, either! 😬

Charlie looked around for a rock…

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:15 am
by Snapper

Max looked away, unable to help the animal but unwilling to see its suffering violently ended either. "Sorry guys, I don't know how to help it."

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:39 am
by CrackheadC.
"Well, if it's alive and just pinned, it can get itself out. And if not well... here help me lift this." Dirk hated to see something weak suffer and felt oddly sympathetic to the trapped rat.
Dirk positions himself to try to lift the corner of the strut, "We only need to get it up an inch or two."

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:09 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie wasn’t convinced that the rat would be going anywhere, but moved to help Dirk. ”Watch out it doesn’t bite you when it gets free,” he said, shuffling his feet out of range.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:58 am
by Snapper

Max didn't know how to help first aid a rat but he could help lift. He quickly turned around to help move the awning.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Between them, Charlie, Dirk, and Max are able to lift the wooden pole. It's heavy but the three of them raise it a few inches and shift it away from the struggling creature. With the strut removed you can see that the poor animal really took a lot of damage from being crushed. It's face is caved in and there's a jagged hole where one of its eyes should be, and is that brain poking out?

But the rat shakes its head, little spatters of blood flying in all directions. It rolls over and lifts itself up painfully onto front legs which are twisted and look frankly broken. It takes a few tentative steps, seeming to wince in pain in so far as you are able to read the expressions of such a battered animal. But then it straightens up and bounds off into the undergrowth and is gone.

That creature should be dead. There's no way it could survive those injuries. And now it's running off into the wild like nothing happened...

OOC:   I'm afraid that's a roll for SAN loss 0/1  

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's impossible!" says Harry. "That thing should have been dead already!"

Sanity roll (current level 30) about the rat:
d%

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:21 am
by Philulhu

Charlie eyed the undergrowth where the rat had disappeared warily. It certainly hadn’t looked in any kind of state to be running around again. ”Perhaps it was running off to die?” he suggested. ”Cats have been known to do that if they get hit by a car, you know. Could be that rats are the sane?”

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:45 am
by BoyBlunder78
" But still, it shouldn't have ran pff like that! Soo quick, it was practically flat!" Darren said to Charlie.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"It was crushed to death," says Harry. "It shouldn't have been able to run at all. It violates the laws of physics!" He sounds personally offended by the anomaly, as if the universe is conspiring to drive him crazy.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:41 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie looked at Harry with a frown. He was no scholar but that didn’t sound right to him. ”Don’t you mean the laws of biology?” he asked.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Those too," says Harry.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:49 am
by Snapper

"Rats are meant to be tough, aren't they? P'haps we have just seen proof?"

"I had a goldfish that lasted about three hours, in perfect conditions I might add, when I was eight. A bit of rat toughness wouldn't have been a bad thing then."
Max appeared to be rambling. Blathering even.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
Trying to push the thought of the rat out of his head Darren moves to look inside the stall, eager to change the topic of conversation. Shining his torch inside.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:19 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's not so much an inside to the stall as simply a pile of collapsed poles and shelves. There's the remains of what might once have been candy bars, the wrappers mixed in with leaves and dirt. There's also several cans of soda; Coke, Tab, 'New Taste' Mr PiBB, and Sprite, all scattered on the ground. Some of them are oddly shaped, like maybe they got dented when the concession stand collapsed.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:35 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie nudged the oddly-shaped looked cans with his foot. Was there any indication as to what had caused them to deform? Did it just look like impact damage from where they had fallen?

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:51 am
by Mephistophilis
Poking a can of Coke with the tip of his shoe, Charlie finds it strangely lighter than he was expecting and it sort of crunches and deforms at his press, as if it was made of polystyrene, although the colours remain quite vivid so the design hasn't been painted on.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, that rat was smooshed," says Harry. "The way we were sealed in here doesn't make any scientific sense. Why should we expect anything else here to compute?"

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 am
by Snapper

Experimentally, Max gently crushed a can of coke under his foot. "What's happened to the cans of soft drink?"

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:08 pm
by CrackheadC.

Dirk sighs with relief as he drops the beam back down when the rat skitters off. "Well whether it should have been dead or not, it looked alive to me and nothing should feel trapped like that" Dirk says with a melancholic tinge to his voice.

Dirk joins the others exploring the collapsed concession stand, maybe there was a cash register with a bit of money left in it?

Pre-emptive Notice Stuff looking around the kiosk for a register or anything else interesting. Vs 60%
1d100

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
Placing his weight onto a can of Tab, Max feels it crunch under his foot. The can doesn't really feel like it is full of liquid, it's more like crushing a styrofoam cup. But when he removes his foot the can is uniformly crushed, like it would be if he'd stamped on a metal can. Weird.

Rooting around under the awning and collapsed posts Dirk can't find any cash register or money. Still, it was worth a try.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:37 am
by Philulhu

Charlie frowned. That was odd, and not a little disturbing. It was if the can wasn’t made of metal, after all. Perhaps it was just for display, but them why go to the time and effort of making something you could buy for fifty cents anyway?

He stood up and looked around. ”Anyone find anything?” he asked.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"These soda cans," says Harry. "They're not behaving as you would expect. They must all be empty. They've probably been here for years. If they'd leaked, there would be dried soda where they were found."

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:28 am
by Snapper

"This fun park hasn't been shut down that long, has it? That police thing was happening in 1980, only seven years ago, and the place was open then."

Max knelt down and picked up the can he had flattened, trying to bend and twist it, tear it apart even. "How strange. Is that what happens to seven year old cans of soda?"

Is the can phenomenon in the realms of any skill roll that Max could make?

Max will try a pre-emptive Science Class roll to guess what normally happens to seven year old cans of soda.

1d%L60%

Hard success.  

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
Only half listening to the conversation, something about squishy cans Darren shines his torch towards what e presumes is the ride next to the stall, walking slowly towards it, stopping halfway. Hey! Anyone remember which ride this is supposed to be?" He calls out to everyone.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
He's not completely sure, but Max thinks old cans of soda just lose their fizz. They don't deform like this. Maybe a few get punctured or leak along the seams so the drink dribbles out, or they get bacteria inside so they might swell up with gas. But he's pretty sure they don't do this. Picking up the flat can of Tab, he tries to twist it and it flexes then tears across the flat portion. Inside is just a uniform grey colour, there's no liquid. He crumbles off lumps from the can. It really is a bit like styrofoam, maybe a bit denser. The more he interacts with the can the more convinced he is that it isn't any sort of drinks can at all, it's more like a stage prop. Maybe they had a few fake cans on display?

-----

Advancing into the mist, Darren shines his flashlight at the vague shape that casts a shadow in the gloomy fog. As he gets nearer he can make out the tenuous outline of some kind of ride. Directly in front of him he can just about discern something, a flash of colour...a face begins to reveal itself, emerging from the thick tendrils of fog. A giant clownface like the one at the entrance, grinning at him. Then another, and another.

It's a rusting tilt-a-whirl ride and all the cars have clown faces moulded and painted onto the front. And all the cars are pointed towards him, like they've gathered together to silently stare, whisps of mist hanging heavily between them. The painted faces all have the eyes scratched off, leaving dark, empty holes.

Now he can make out the domed canopy over the ride, and written along the edge it says The Giddy Giggler. But Darren can't see anything to laugh about.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:17 am
by Snapper

"I had this Lego gas station station - ah - a few years ago, and the shop in the gas station had these tiny drink bottles and magazines and stuff like that in it. That's what this can makes me think of. It's not real, it's pretend, like a prop in a school play."

"But why would a fun park need prop soda cans? Why not just have real ones you could actually sell?"

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's a lot about this place that doesn't seem real," says Harry. "A lot of what we're seeing is an illusion. The place was open in 1980 when the police were investigating, but it probably closed down soon after that. I've never heard of it until recently."

I had that same LEGO gas station, and many other sets.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:01 am
by Philulhu

”So what was this?” asked Charlie, trying to understand what was going on. ”Hey, do you think it was some kind of film set?”

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think so," says Harry, "but it's definitely cheap and fake. Someone has gone to some trouble to restore this place to a semblance of what it used to be."

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:01 am
by Snapper
Lego is just one of the brilliant things in life. Pure genius.

"Maybe this is a trap? The soda cans, everything, it's like a fish lure but to get people into the park. I don't know. I think I have a Swamp Thing comic with a plot like that."

"What's Darren found? Great heavens, I can see more clown heads, just what we don't need."
Max wandered over to where Darren was.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, it's like something out of an episode of Star Trek," says Harry, following him.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:41 am
by Philulhu

”So you’re saying it’s a TV set, rather than film?” Charlie asked Harry, confused by his train of thought.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:54 am
by BoyBlunder78
All these clown faces sent a shiver down his spine. His torchlight creating elongated shadows in the distance giving the appearance of figures watching him. Darren walks around the ride looking for the control booth.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
Edging around the outside of the Giddy Giggler Darren you keep the freakish clown faced cars in view. Their scratched out eyes continue to stare straight ahead, away from him. As he moves around the ride he can see that the paint is blistered and peeling. Metal structures rusted and corroded. The wooden platform where the cars sit seems rotten and in places the surface has splintered through altogether. There's an unpleasant smell cutting through the mist, like urine.

About a third of the way round the structure Darren sees a sort of alcove rather than a full control booth. Inside there's an elaborate control panel that doesn't quite match with the rest of the deteriorating structure.

It seems to be made of a combination of wood, metal, and plastic components but Darren can't figure out why it needs so many buttons and dials. It's very colourful but there's no power to it as far as he can see.

There's some labels on the dials and buttons. But you can't understand them. It's not even in the English alphabet. It looks like Hebrew or Sanskrit or something.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
  Oh.....bother.....  

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I meant the plot," says Harry, getting distracted from looking at the controls.

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) in the control room:
d%

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:46 am
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Fail.  
Max looked at the controls. "In a normal fun park, I'd say those controls were just there for show, to make the ride seem more exciting. Here, in this strange place, I won't even guess. Whatever, let's not try to start this ride up."

Other than the party's own, are there any signs of footprints or other recent human activity?

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:15 pm
by Philulhu

”Oh, Ok,” said Charlie. He looked at the control panel.

”So, do you think this is real?” he asked. He tentatively reached out and gripped the edge of the console, trying to bend it, wondering if it would give way like the soda cans.

Notice stuff (60%) 1d100

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:18 pm
by CrackheadC.

Notice Stuff: 60%
1d100

"Fake soda isn't much draw if you are trying to lure people in. Hell, the first thing I'd do would be to, I dunno, make the entrance not look like such a dump." Dirk says as he hops up near the controls with the others and takes a look. Not know what to make of it Dirk just shrugs, "This looks like something out of a sci-fi show... or what a little kid would come up with if you told them to make controls for a ride"

The clown cars didn't do much for him, "Weird cars. I wonder if they looked less creepy when the park was still open." Dirk stepped on to the ride to get a closer look at the cars

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"That control panel could be right out of Star Trek too," says Harry. "It looks a lot more complicated than it has to be. Maybe it controls the ride, but maybe it does more than that. Too bad we didn't find a manual for it."

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:20 am
by Mephistophilis
Dirk steps up onto the platform of the Giddy Giggler. It feels a bit spongy underfoot, like the wooden floor is starting to rot. Everyone else is crowding around the elaborate control panel. Charlie grabs the edges and gives it a squeeze, it feels solid enough but the surface has a sheen and is slightly slippery. Darren tries to make out what all the different buttons, gauges, and dials are supposed to do. There's no obvious labels just some squiggly symbols. He prods a plastic button and it gives a satisfying click, but nothing else happens. He twists a dial which has a decent amount of resistance and makes a slight whirring sound. Then he pushes up a lever which also takes quite a bit of effort to move.

As the lever reaches the end of its travel Darren feels something. A sort of humming, coming from inside the control panel itself. It suddenly lights up brightly, the switches and dials shining, looking even more like some science fiction computer. Then the multi-coloured lights come on in the main body of the ride itself. There is a whirring, a scraping, and a crunching from the central cylinder. A discordant sound slowly starts to fill the air, the organ-music speeding up until it is recognisable as a carnival song.

OOC:   Something like the beginning of this.  

The the clown-faced cars jump into life, jerking forwards and beginning to twist and rotate. Before he knows it Dirk is surrounded by the gyrating vehicles, unpredictably moving about him. The grinning clown-faces with their scratched out eyes spinning around, yet he has the constant feeling that they're continuing to stare at him, stare at him with their black, scratched out eyes.

OOC:   Can you give me a Dodge roll for Dirk  

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:39 am
by Snapper

"Great Scott!!" Max frantically studied the insane controls, looking for a way to turn the ride off.

Are there any skills that might assist?

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry also examines the control console, trying to figure out how to use it to stop the ride.

Science Class roll (80% skill) figuring out the control panel:
d%

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:36 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Woah!" gasps Darren looking up in shock as the ride grinded into life. Spotting Dirk he frantically tried to shut it down.

Hard Success!!

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:30 pm
by CrackheadC.
"Jesus!" Dirk shouts as he tries to jump back off of the ride and get out of the way of the clown cars, "Shut this thing off!"

Dodge: 35%
1d100

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
Dirk just manages to jump down off the platform before a clown-car swirls past where he was standing. The cars are rotating faster and faster, spinning around the ride. The organ-music speeding up and becoming more and more discordant. The metal supporting struts are shaking and twisting, the wooden platform buckling and splintering.

Harry and Max study the control panel. It makes no sense. The dials and wheels have no discernable purpose and throttling back on the lever Darren pushed makes no difference. Darren steps around to the back of the machine and sees a thick cable running into the back of it. He tries to give it a tug but it is firmly attached. Taking his bat he starts striking the oversized plug. Thunk. It doesn't move. Thunk. The lights are flashing now, almost a strobe effect. Fragments of metal come flying from the ride, crashing into the wooden canopy and parts of the walls. Thunk. A jagged piece slams into the face of the control panel. Thunk. The cable bends and then slips from the back of the panel. The music rapidly trails off. The lights blink out. And the clown-cars grind to a halt.

Sorry, I missed what you wrote about the footprints. There's a few faint footprints here and there in places but one set of more fresh looking prints that goes around the Giddy Giggler and off to the northwest.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:45 am
by Snapper
All good!

"Woah! That could have been a lot worse. Ah, Darren, good job at the end but maybe don't turn any more rides on, no more pulling levers."

"I'm amazed, actually it's very weird this place still has power, after all these years shut down. My understanding is if you're a grown-up and you don't pay your power company bill, they turn the lights out after a few months."

"And, by the way, I found some footprints."
Max shone his flashlight on the footprints heading north-west.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done!" says Harry. "Maybe there's a generator here, but the fuel wouldn't have lasted years. Someone must have come here recently and powered it. Let's follow those footprints."

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren runs over to Dirk, "Shiiìiiit! You ok dude!!! That did look fricking cool by the way!" Seeing Max and Harry wandering off, muttering about footprints, Darren shouts, "Oi!!! HEY! YOU TWO STAY THERE!! DO NOT GO OFF ON YA OWN!!!'

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:15 am
by Snapper
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:00 am Darren runs over to Dirk, "Shiiìiiit! You ok dude!!! That did look fricking cool by the way!" Seeing Max and Harry wandering off, muttering about footprints, Darren shouts, "Oi!!! HEY! YOU TWO STAY THERE!! DO NOT GO OFF ON YA OWN!!!'

At this point, Max and Harry are standing stock-still by the ride control panel, just discussing with the other kids what happened and whether to follow the footprints. I believe no-one has wandered off anywhere yet.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:20 pm
by CrackheadC.
Dirk brushes himself off and makes a flourished bow at the compliment, "I'm great, man you smashed the hell out of those controls - nice work!"

Dirk follows Darren over to the other boys, "Yeah that ride was weird, the floor felt all spongy and rotten, but if it was actually rotten I bet it would have torn apart when the ride started up again."

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:57 am
by Philulhu

Charlie could only stand back as events unfolded. He felt pretty useless and was relieved when the plug was pulled abd the ride ground to a halt. ”We don’t mess with stuff like that!” he said testily. Dirk could’ve been injured or worse!”

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not going anywhere without the rest of you," says Harry. "I meant that we should all follow the footprints, together."

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   My bad, in my head i thought you had started towards the footprints... :oops:  
Snapper wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:15 am
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:00 am Darren runs over to Dirk, "Shiiìiiit! You ok dude!!! That did look fricking cool by the way!" Seeing Max and Harry wandering off, muttering about footprints, Darren shouts, "Oi!!! HEY! YOU TWO STAY THERE!! DO NOT GO OFF ON YA OWN!!!'

At this point, Max and Harry are standing stock-still by the ride control panel, just discussing with the other kids what happened and whether to follow the footprints. I believe no-one has wandered off anywhere yet.
Looking at Charlie, Darren said "Yeah, but he wasn't, but your right next time we should make sure that no one is near any rides when press anymoe buttons, because lets face it, we will be pressing more buttons. " Adressing the group he continues, " This place is just...wrong.....the struts, the cans, the condition of the rides...the...(gulp)...rat..."

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:09 am
by Snapper

"Now that we know the rides still work, who knows why, I'm thinking we should not try to start any more up. Unless we absolutely have to."

"OK, shall we follow the footprints, all together?"

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Harry.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:38 am
by Philulhu

”OK, I guess,” Charlie said reluctantly. ”It seems the only way we’re gonna get out of here.”

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:45 am
by BoyBlunder78
"C'mon then." Darren says as starts to follow the footprints, shining his torch the light leading the way.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:58 am
by CrackheadC.
"Sounds good to me, let's go."

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
The footprints lead past the Giddy Giggler and across the gravel. Beyond the tilt-a-whirl there's another dark shape in the fog. Shining flashlights into the gloom there's an odd reflection back, little shards of light cutting through the mist. Approaching the shape reveals a carousel ride with a sign saying Merry-Go-Round above it. This ride is in even worse condition than the Giddy Giggler. The canopy has half collapsed, and the remains of poles and wooden horses litter the ground. Looking at the immobile horse torsos lying on their sides, paint faded and marked, you notice that their eyes are also gouged out. All of them.

The central cylinder is covered with mirrors and all around it are piled more mirrors of various shapes and sizes. Some look like funhouse mirrors, other smaller ones seem to be wing mirrors and rear view mirrors from vehicles. A few hang from the poles that used to support the horses.

Looking at this odd scene, mirrors piled around the ruined vestiges of an old carousel, you get an unpleasant sensation. That same prickling feeling on your scalp and neck. Like someone is watching you.

And that's when you notice the movement. It's hard to see at first, the thick fog obscures nearly everything. But there's definitely movement. In some of the mirrors; grey shapes seem to move across the surface of the mirrors, within the mirrors.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, now we know what happened to all the mirrors from the cars in the parking lot," says Harry. He studiously avoids looking into the mirrors to see the shapes. If there's no observer, does it really exist? he thinks.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:23 am
by Snapper

"And that map we saw back a ways, so far it's been accurate. So two positives, really, if you include finding all the missing wing mirrors."

"Why can i see movement in the mirrors? Is that an optical illusion?"

Max shone his flashlight on the mirrors, one by one, taking a few cautious steps closer as he did so.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:42 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren grabs hold of Max's shoulder, "Dont go any closer Max keep away from the mirrors." Shing his torch into them. Looking towards Harry, "There's something off about them. Remember the mirrors in the Ol' Barnakers house!?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I remember," says Harry. "Don't look in the mirrors! It's a trap! There's a reason they were all taken from the cars."

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
Before the warnings from the others can stop him, Max is shining his flashlight into the mirrors, gazing into the shadowy shapes within. Darren places a hand on him, holding him back, but joins him in looking within.

Not all the mirrors have anything inside, they just reflect back the beams of the flashlights, but in some there is definitely some kind of smoky grey movement. Looking more closely there are grey, ill-defined spongy humanoid shapes. Pressing their featureless faces against the glass, like they're looking out. Stubby hands outstretched, as if they're trying to escape their imprisonment within.

OOC:   SAN roll 1/1d4 for anyone looking into the mirrors.  

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

Harry continues to avoid looking in the mirrors.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:30 am
by Philulhu

”What’s going on?!” asked Charlie, his voice sounding more high-pitched to his ears, his nervousness overcoming his normal intransigence. He kept his gaze focussed anywhere except for the mirrors. ”Is that why all their eyes have been scratched out?! So they can’t see what’s in the mirrors?!”

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:59 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren stares into the mirrors.
San now 63

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:01 pm
by Snapper

1d%55%

Fail.  
1d4

3 SAN.  
Max covered his mouth with his hands, tears of pure fear running from his eyes. He staggered back a few feet, or tried to. "I'm so sorry, Darren," came a muffled croak from behind his shaking hands.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:05 pm
by CrackheadC.

"What's this about a Barnaker house?" Dirk says as he trots up to a mirror to give it the old smashing treatment like he was doing to windows in the parking lot, while still being a little weary of the ride itself.

Current San: 58
1d100

1d4

"Jesus Christ! There are people in the mirrors." Dirk falls to the ground and starts scurrying backwards away from the mirrors.

OOC:   I understand that some of the info from the guys relates to the previous scenario. Is there anything Dirk would have heard or known about the gang's previous misadventure? Also this marks 5 of 60 starting sanity lost for Dirk since entering Funland.  

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:16 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Its ok Max just keep away from the mirrors.Dirk!!GET YOUR ASS AWAY FROM THEM! STOP LOOKING AT THEM!" Darren shouts bringing his bat up as he goes to grab Dirk.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:41 am
by Snapper

Max did his best to look away and stagger back from the mirrors.

"I don't understand. What are they, how is that happening?"

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   In Kid-Cthulhu it is only losses in one go that cause real difficulties, 5 in one go or more than 20% in one go.

In terms of what Dirk might know about the Barnaker House, he'll know a house burned down in town last Halloween, it was all hushed up but the whispers are some kids died in the fire, and he knows not everyone came back to school. Harry, Darren, and Louis don't talk about it but it's clear the whole thing shook them up. People say Harry was never the same after, not right in the head. it was all blamed on Roger Simmons, a real nasty bully, no one is sad he's gone.  

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:48 am
by Philulhu

”Can’t we cover them?! Or break them, even?!” asked Charlie, looking away from the scene, and holding his hand up in front of his eyes for good measure.

How he thought this would be achieved without actually seeing them, wasn’t actually clear… …

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"If there are a hundred mirrors, breaking them all would result in 700 years bad luck," says Harry. "While that is unscientific, as there's no way breaking a mirror could affect the laws of probability, this place doesn't seem to be obeying the laws of science. We might just be better off avoiding them. Of course, if we really do want to break the mirrors, a baseball bat would do the trick."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:33 am
by Snapper

Max had to stagger away a few more steps then he turned his flashlight off and was barely visible bending forward. A second later, he was violently sick, or at least that's what it sounded and smelt like. "it's OK, it's important I suffer," came a queasy voice.

A minute or so later, a pale faced, slightly dizzy Max staggered back. "OK, you all might remember that in the book The Lord of the Rings, there are these crystal ball type magical things called, umm, palantirs."

"There's only a few and they're scattered and hidden. But they can be used to communicate with each other. Maybe the mirrors work like that? Something is communicating using them. The palantir things were bad news, as I recall."

"Maybe we just keep walking? Unless someone wants to try to talk with whatever that was? Ugh..."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:07 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren looks around looking for a stone to throw at the mirrors.....from a distance of course.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, the palantirs were used for communication," says Harry. "The problem was that Sauron had one too, and he could use it to spy on people through the others. That must be what whoever's behind this is doing, watching through the mirrors."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:44 pm
by Snapper

"So this is real? The tendons under the roller-coaster are real?
Whatever is inside that giant clown head is real? What else? Vampires? Zombies?"

"How can this be happening? How do we stop it?"
There is an edge of hysteria in Max's voice.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"As real as the Barnaker House," says Harry. "I don't know what else is here, but we have to proceed logically, solve the mystery, and find a way out of here. And, as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so wisely advises, don't panic."

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:56 am
by Philulhu

”Uh, I’m good, thanks,” Charlie said to Max. Having watched him be violently sick, Charlie was in no rush to even look in one of the mirrors, nevermind try to communicate with whatever he might see there!

”I guess we do what Baby Spock said. Solve the mystery and get out of here.” Charlie continued, nodding in Harry’s direction. ”Let’s get started. I don’t wanna be here no more.”

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:57 am
by Mephistophilis
The spongy grey figures in the mirrors continue to move about, catching your eye, some of the mirrors even seem to contain more than one of them, but the figures don't seem to interact.

But in one of the nearer mirrors, a round one like a bathroom mirror, lying on the ground. The image has changed. It now seems to show a tree, a tall white tree surrounded by stars.

OOC:   Plenty of rocks and fragments of brick lying around for Darren to chuck at a mirror  

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:01 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren finds a nice chunky piece of brick then scans the mirrors for a target.
Decides that one is as good as another and hurls the brick at the mirrors.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
With his usual unerring accuracy, Darren flings the brick at a half-length mirror propped up against a broken carousel horse. Inside a single grey figure writhes angrily. The brick strikes the middle of the glass, which shatters, great chunks of the surface fragmenting and sliding to smash onto the floor.

For a moment nothing else happens. The mirror is broken, only a few jagged shards remain around the edges of the frame. Then something starts to diffuse out of the frame, like mist or steam, a little darker than the surrounding fog. And with it the chunky, barely shaped hand of the grey figure grips the frame of the mirror, from the inside. It's spongy form squeezes between the shards of glass, contorting into impossible shapes as it seems to slip through the mirror frame. Emerging onto the ground. Grey, lumpy, ill-defined, faceless.

It takes a second or two, just crouching, shaking what must be its head. Then it straightens up, becomes more upright. Seems to look around with its blank face. Then it stops. Seemingly fixating on Charlie. It starts to move towards him. Awkwardly, its joints at strange angles. Then it moves faster, loping towards him. A thin grey mist trailing behind.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:21 pm
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Success.  

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:19 am
by Philulhu
Brilliant! 🙄

Do I need to make a SAN check for Charlie?

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:50 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Anyone who didn't roll for looking into the mirrors roll SAN 1/1d4+1 for seeing this thing.  

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Look, this mirror's different!" says Harry, pointing it out to the others. "It doesn't have any of the creatures, only a tall white tree surrounded by stars. Maybe it can get us out of here!" He tries touching the surface of the mirror.

Notice Stuff roll (43% skill) near the mirrors:
d%
Sanity roll (current level 29) for seeing the creature:
d%
1 Sanity lost.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:38 am
by Snapper

At about the same instant Harry spoke, Max called out, "Great Scott! Hey, one of the mirrors is different! There's a tree on it! Maybe it will help? I'm going to try to get it. "

"Keep away from that thing, Charlie! Maybe the flashlights will scare it."

Max started looking for a way to get to the tree mirror while keeping away from the thing. He was very careful not to tread on or break anymore mirrors.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Max and Harry make a run for the tree-mirror, but Harry gets there first. Looking into the mirror, the image is otherwordly, a beautiful white tree, lit by seven bright stars in the sky behind it. As Harry lifts the mirror the image shifts, it's very odd, as if the mirror is more like a window looking out onto the tree, moving it shifting the view.

When Harry touches the glass it feels cold and solid, as it should, but from where his finger presses a shimmering wave ripples out across the surface of the mirror. The image changes, dissolves, and is replaced by a face. The face of an older woman.

It's a bloated, rotting face that Harry knows all too well. The empty eye sockets of the witch Evelyn Barnaker stare out at him, a vile grimace on her deformed face. Teeth glistening with blood.

It's a striking looking older woman, salt and pepper haired. She is smiling benignly at Max but he gets an odd sensation, like there's a furtive secrecy or even malice behind the eyes.

OOC:   We're going into an initiative situation. I'll let everyone act before the thing does, except that Harry and Max have already gone, by picking up the mirror.  

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:34 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Darren raises his bat, shouting at the creature trying to get its attention. Spotting Harry and Max he calls out, " What the shit are you doing??!! Get your asses over here!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
The creature doesn't respond to Darren's cries, doesn't move its head or in anyway seem to register him, it just continues to lope towards Charlie.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:33 pm
by Philulhu

SAN (75) 1d100

That’s one point of SAN loss.

”Err, need a hand over here…” cried Charlie as he backed away. He quickly glanced about - was there something he could put between himself and whatever the hell this was?!

Notice stuff (60) 1d100
Charlie’s looking for something to help with his predicament!

Edit: And he’ll spend two points of luck to make that a success.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:07 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   What sort of stuff is Charlie looking for? There's loads of mirrors around. A few carousel horses that have fallen off the ride. If he went inside the body of the ride there's a load of poles and horses still hanging that would provide some sort of impediment to someone or something chasing him. Probably.  

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:11 am
by Philulhu
OOC:   A tree, perhaps? Or failing that, a squad of marines?  

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:15 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Sure, there's a tree. Roll Gym Class to see how quickly you make it there.  

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:26 am
by Philulhu

Gym Class (20) 1d100

Spotting a nearby tree, Charlie bolted for cover, though he got poor purchase on the floor and wasn’t convinced he was going to make it!

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
Charlie looks around desperately as the misshapen grey shape bounds towards him awkwardly, whisps of smoke or mist swirling behind. He spots a large tree through the mist and makes a sprint for it. He's only halfway there and the featureless creature has almost closed the distance. It doesn't look like he's going to make it.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:40 am
by Philulhu

Using Dodge (40), could Charlie suddenly change direction to avoid whatever’s following him?

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
He'll be able to roll Dodge when the thing reaches him and does whatever it's going to do. Maybe give him a big hug?

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:31 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren continues shouting at the thing,picking up another rock to trying get its attention.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:42 am
by CrackheadC.

Dirk scampers to his feet as a mirror is broken and watches in anxiety as the creature he saw climbs out and appears to go after Charlie. "Over here you freak! What are you? A fart cloudman? Gross, I can smell you from here!" Dirk shouts, trying to divert the creature's attention from Charlie.

Taunt (80%) to distract/redirect the smoke creature's aggression away from Charlie
1d100

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:02 pm
by Philulhu

In which case, Charlie continues to run as fast as he can!

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:18 am
by Mephistophilis
The creature appears completely unaware of what is going on around it. Just continuing to lope awkwardly after Charlie, streaming smoke behind it. The gap between them gets smaller and smaller, and the lumpy grey shape starts to reach out with its half-formed hands to grasp at Charlie, but never quite able to reach him.

His chest thumping, his throat filled with the cloying cold fog, Charlie makes it to the tree and spins around behind it.

OOC:   Second round of initiative, everyone can act before the reflection  

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's the witch!" cries Harry. "The one from the Barnaker House! We killed her, but now she's back in this mirror! Should we break it, or would that make things worse?"

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:04 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"That fucking bitch!!!"Darren shouts." Dont break anymore mirrors!!! They must keep these things trapped!!" He yells as he runs towards the thing, throwing the rock at it.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:48 pm
by Philulhu

Breathing heavily, Charlie grunted, ”Don’t stop! Don’t stop!” to himself. He pushed himself away from the tree and spun around, looking to see which way the creature was going to move…

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"But this mirror's different," says Harry. "I think it may control all the others. The witch appeared in this one. If she comes out of it when it breaks, then we could just kill her again. She's the cause of all this."

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:01 am
by Snapper

Max recoiled from the weird mirror with the strange woman in it. Leaving it to Harry to carry, he grabbed a random wing mirror, careful not to touch the actual mirror part, just to holds it from the back. And definitely careful not to look into it or point it at himself.

"What if you just pointed it at the monster thing? As a first step before we do something drastic like break it? I'm going to point this wing mirror at the monster, if I can, see what happens."

Continuing to be careful not to touch the actual mirror, Max's plan is to point this wing mirror at the smog monster from afar and then cautiously approach.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:57 am
by Philulhu

”Hurry up!” Charlie yelled at Max and Harry, who seemed engrossed in conversation while he was being chased around a tree…

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

Harry nods and points the mirror at the monster.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:40 am
by Mephistophilis
Seemingly unaware, or unconcerned about the mirrors pointed at it, the spongy grey figure continues to bound towards Charlie, it's misshapen hands reaching out for him, trails of smoke snaking out from around ill-defined edges as it gains even more momentum. Charlie peeks out from behind the tree, trying to guess which way the creature will take, looking to use the precious seconds that it changes direction to get further away.

OOC:   That'll be Dodge to guess where the creature's going and head the other way  

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:55 pm
by Philulhu

Dodge (40) 1d100

Senses straining to detect the creature, Charlie circled the tree, trying to keep out of sight - and more importantly, out of reach - of the creature!

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
Darren's rock flies from his hand and impacts against the back of the creature's distorted and ill-defined head. It doesn't particularly seem to register the strike but slows down momentarily and Charlie takes his chance to sprint out from behind the tree. When the lumpish figure begins to move again it lunges past the tree and then stops, seemingly unsure where its quarry has gone. It sways, the featureless face moving from one side to another, like a dog scenting the air.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:12 pm
by Philulhu

Charlie ran as hard as he could, putting some much needed space between himself and the creature. He tried to keep the tree between it and himself, to disguise which way he’d run.
[/quote]

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Charlie shoots off as fast as he can away from the creature which is still standing there, behind the tree, swaying. He skids across the grass and mud and disappears into the fog. His foot slams down onto something which crumbles under his foot with a loud crack. The creature's head snaps in that direction and it immediately heads in pursuit, misproportioned limbs flexing and extending in an awkward and perplexing blur of movement.

The others watch the two figures melt into grey mist.

Another Gym Class roll to try and get away?

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:50 am
by Philulhu

Gym Class (20) 1d100

Charlie ran as fast as he could although he couldn’t help but think he’d have been better off if he hadn’t skipped gym class so often…

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pointing the mirrors isn't helping," says Harry. "I think we have to break the one with the witch."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:28 am
by Snapper

"Do it! I haven't got a better idea!" Max hared off after Charlie, anxious not to completely lose him in the fog but wary of vaporous monsters.

Does the monster seem blind? Could it be tracking by sound alone?

Is there any roll Max can make to think of how to dissipate or injure a partly fog monster? Science Class, Spooky Stuff?  

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren runs after Charlie, stopping to grab the mirror. " Maybe we have to get infront of it?! Hearing Harry mention the witch " Dont you fricking dare let that bitch out!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll try that next," says Harry. "If we did let her out, though, we could kill her again. Fire and silver can do it. I brought matches."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:12 pm
by CrackheadC.

"You aren't going to need matches, Harry." Dirk says and he pulls out his brother's zippo and a small handful off firecrackers. "It seems yelling doesn't work, but think it'll chase any loud sound?" Dirk questions.

Looking to the other's for approval, "Just light'em and toss'em. Easy as pie, maybe it will be enough to distract that thing from Charlie. Just don't drop any at your feet - don't wanna lose a toe or draw it directly to you." Dirk will give anyone who wants them some firecrackers from his stash before lighting his own.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Is the creature blind? hard to say, it certainly hasn't got any eyes but it does seem pretty relentless at chasing down Charlie. Could it be tracking by sound? Maybe, but it hasn't got any ears either - it did seem to react to sound earlier though. I'd allow a Spooky Stuff, or a Science, or Play With Matches, or even an Idea roll to think about how to harm/get rid of the creatures. What you think of will obviously depend on what kind of approach you tried.

Anyone trying to chase after Charlie (or the monster) into the fog needs to roll Nature (also serving the role of Navigation) to find him. If you fail roll 1d8 to see where you end up going.

If anyone is chucking firecrackers at the creature (as it disappears into the fog) that's a Play With Matches roll to hit it. If you're just chucking them on the ground then roll me Luck (I am assuming in this case you want to attract the creature, if you'd call that lucky)  

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:20 am
by CrackheadC.

Dirk wracks his brain to think of the best course of action.

Play With Matches (60%) to see if Dirk comes up with a way to hurt the creature or if he thinks the firecrackers are better used as a distraction.
1d100

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry thinks quickly of a way to defeat the creature. He knows that science has the answers to everything.

Science Class roll (80% skill) to figure out how to stop the creature:
d%

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:12 am
by Snapper

1d%pFF60%

Success.  
Max skidded to a halt before risking losing track of the rest of his friends. Getting lost seemed a bad idea right now. He wracked his brain for anything he'd read in a horror story or horror comic, or his 'World of the Unknown' books, that might suggest a way to stop the monster.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:47 am
by Mephistophilis
Hey, firecrackers blow shit up!

Obviously it's impossible but these creatures seem to be made of some kind of smoke or fog. That's just suspended droplets of water or tiny particles of matter. If you could just get something with enough force to blow them apart...

You know there are a lot of traditions around mirrors. You've read that when someone dies their soul is released from their body but if it comes across a mirror before the body is buried their soul can be trapped in the mirror, sometimes even tarnishing the mirror into their image over time. And something else about sleeping with a mirror in your bedroom, that your soul can be sucked out through the mirror. In a more historical book you read something about how ancient people did divination through pools of water or through mirrors, so the surface of a mirror is in some ways like the surface of a pool of water.

This thing was released by the mirror when it was smashed. But how did it get in the mirror? Maybe there's a way of forcing it back inside the mirror again? Could a mirror be permeable to the creature somehow, like a pool of water? Could you push it back into one?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
Darren goes after Charlie determined to save him,NO ONE LEFT BEHIND!!!.
OOC:   Against all odds!!! 8-)  

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:29 pm
by Snapper

"OK, I have an idea," Max called out. "The mirrors are the key, no time to explain it all. The mirrors have caught souls, or caught something. And breaking the mirror released the soul, or whatever it is. But we might be able to force it back into a mirror."

"Maybe if I can find an empty mirror, and get it close to the monster, it will get sucked back into that mirror. So we need the monster back here."

Max charged back to the carousel to find an 'unoccupied' mirror, cautiously checking the wing mirror he'd already collected too.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:30 am
by Philulhu

Nothing to see here…

Notice Stuff (60) 1d100

Nature (10) 1d100

SAN (74) 1d100

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"That could work," says Harry, "and maybe this mirror could be the one we use to trap it, if the witch no longer appears in it. There may be another way too. If the creature is made of smoke or fog, that's just suspended droplets of water or tiny particles. Hitting it with enough force - say, from a baseball bat - could blow them apart and make it dissipate."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:05 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's plenty of mirrors for Max to choose from. Even the wingmirror he's holding seems to be empty. But there's tall full-length mirror, half sized round mirrors like you might find in a bathroom, wingmirrors and rearview car mirrors. Pretty much anything.

OOC:   Darren and Charlie have moved here.  

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:32 am
by Snapper

"Harry, I'll grab another mirror in case yours doesn't work and the baseball bat plan doesn't work and the fireworks don't work!"

Max picked a half-sized bathroom mirror, something easy to carry he hoped. He studied it carefully to make sure nobody was home.

Assuming it appears empty, Max will pick the mirror up by the edges, very careful not to touch the actual mirrored face. Then he'll head back to the others.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry hurries after them, carrying his mirror.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   If you want to follow Charlie, Darren, and the creature into the darkness and thick fog then that's a Nature roll. If you run off as fast as you can individually then each roll Nature and if you fail roll 1d8. If you regroup and head into the darkness together then just one of you needs to roll Nature, with a bonus die if someone else is helping somehow (shining their flashlight etc) - but you will be moving a bit slower. It's a pity Louis and Shirley aren't here - they were both good at this sort of stuff!  

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

I think we should definitely regroup and stick together. I'll use my flashlight.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:36 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Definitely want to regroup.  

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   FYI Harry, Max, and Dirk all have Nature 10% so it doesn't make any difference who rolls (with a bonus dice). If you fail roll me a 1d8 please.  

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:37 pm
by CrackheadC.

"You guys all set? We just gotta blow the sucker apart and stuff him in a mirror right? Typical, everyday stuff. For sure. Let's do this, guys!" Dirk preps his firecrackers for a quick bang if needed and then leads the charge towards Charlie, Darren, and the smoke creature.

I'll do the honor for our nature roll,
1d100

Fail as expected,
1d8

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
The three of you run into the darkness after Charlie, and Darren, and whatever was chasing them. Dirk catches glimpses of movement through the mist and urges everyone on. You slip on wet grass and skid across gravel paths that appear through the fog. Never catching sight of the others.

After a few minutes Dirk slows down, he's disorientated, not sure where he's going or where he came from. None of you are. All around is just blackness. Then he glimpses something and tears off again, the other following close behind, all coming to a complete halt as you find yourselves staring up at a wall of criss-crossing latticework, stretching up into the darkness.

Now you've stopped you notice there's an odd smell in the air. Is something burning?

Bonus die: 1d10 8

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:29 am
by Snapper

"OK, OK, we're a bit lost. Let's keep a bit of distance from that horrible roller coaster though."

"Let me see if I can figure out which way is back to the merry-go-round, at least."

Max took a few steps back from the lattice then pulled out his compass.

OOC:   What direction is the party facing when they are looking at the lattice?  

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry compares the reading of the compass with the map he memorized to try to figure out where they are.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:19 pm
by CrackheadC.

Dirk pants for a few moments to catch his breath, "You're right, we might be a little lost. There is no way this is the same struts as last time is it?" Dirk eyes the latticework suspiciously, keeping a safe distance.

"Hey... does anyone else smell that? Shit did I light something?" Dirk checks his pockets and jacket to make sure his lighter and firecrackers are still there, "smells like something is burning to me."

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
The compass indicates that the latticework is to the south of them. Harry thinks the most likely place for them to be is around the southwest of the park, near the Dodgems. He bases this on the map where the rollercoaster runs all around the perimeter of the park, but there's a stretch that seemed to run horizontal for a way.

Dirk checks all his pockets. There's nothing on his person that seems to be on fire at least. But that burning smell is getting stronger. It's acrid and your eyes water.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:20 am
by Snapper

"Let's just head due east until we find the main path again. Where we were before. And let's go now, something is burning."

Max oriented the compass to due east and pointed the way with his flashlight.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes," says Harry, following. "That'll take us back to the merry-go-round, and from there we can try again to track down the others."

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:28 pm
by CrackheadC.

"Yeah, let's go. Max, I think you better be in charge of finding our way from now on." Dirk says with a shallow sigh after getting them lost.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
Following Max's compass, it's easy enough to find your way back to the carousel.

Apart from the mirrors you smashed or took with you it seems to be the same as you left it. But no sign of Charlie, Darren, and whatever that was chasing them.

You try not to look directly into the mirrors but even out of the corner of your eye you can still sense that swirling grey movement across the glass.

On the far side of the carousel the fog thins out for a few second and there's a flash of colour. The red of a balloon, being held by a child. They turn towards you all, look towards you. They're wearing some kind of red and white clown outfit, like the child you saw through the fence. It is difficult to tell from this distance but they seem to look at you with an expression of recognition, although you can't make out who they are. And as you take in their whole appearance you realise that while they hold a red balloon in their left hand, floating in the air like it's filled with helium, their right shoulder ends in a bloodied stump. They wave their left hand at you, still holding the balloon's string.

On the back of your neck you can feel something. Like a breath of wind. But warmer. Like someone breathing rapidly onto the back of your neck. You freeze for a moment. Then do the only thing you can do. You turn slowly and look behind you, all three of you together.

Standing very close is a man. Dressed as a clown. He has red hair and a red clown nose. His skin is covered in thick white makeup with black teardrops penciled under the eyes. And in his left hand floats a red balloon. His face is almost like a mask, but it creases into an awkward smile and croaks out a short laugh followed by rasping words.

''Welcome to Funland. So pleased you made it.'

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where are the others?" demands Harry.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:58 pm
by Snapper

"Aagh!!"

Max jumped back a couple of steps and without really thinking, pointed the mirror at the creepy clown man.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:52 pm
by Mephistophilis

In response to Harry's question the clown looks at him and tilts his head to one side. 'You lost your friends Harry? Don't cha worry, I'm your friend Harry. It's me, Mr Fun, but you can call me Perry, cos we're friends.' He holds out the length of string in his hand, 'Don't cha wanna balloon Harry?'

As Max jumps back and points his mirror at the clown, the clown moves. Or, at least, he's no longer near Harry but is standing in front of Max, much closer. Rasping right into Max's face.

'That's right Maxy boy. You got the right idea. Gotta give up your lies if you wanna be free.'

The smell of the clown's breath is...hard to describe. Like old books, musty. A little bit oily. Not unpleasant necessarily but not right coming from a person.

Harry looks at his hand. He's holding the string to a red balloon that floats above him. But Mr Fun is still holding his own red balloon as well. He can't remember taking the balloon, but there it is.

There's something familiar about the name of Perry the Clown. From the depths of your memory you recall something about a clown with that name who did shows and readings down at the Northfield Library. Not that you ever saw him, that's not really the sort of thing you did when you were young. But you remember someone saying he got kicked out of the library. You can't remember the exact details but something like telling the little kids there's no Santa. Asshole!

There's something familiar about the name of Perry the Clown. You recall seeing a Perry the Clown doing shows and readings down at the Northfield Library, he was a bit weird. Awkward. But it must be some kind of Northfield tradition because your mom told you that there was a clown there when she was young as well, she said they might have been called Perry too. But you think the Perry you saw got kicked out for saying inappropriate stuff to the children, at least, that's what your mom said.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is a missing time phenomenon," says Harry clinically, as if it weren't happening to him personally. "It's one of the commonly reported symptoms of alien abduction."

Know roll (35% stat) about the clown:
d%

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:38 am
by Snapper

Terrified, Max shoved the mirror towards the clown's painted face. "You get away from us!"

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
The clown turns his head to the side again in a slightly quizzical movement. The expression doesn't change until he opens his mouth in a vague approximation of a smile, revealing sharp little yellow teeth. 'I just wanna help ya Max.' He holds out one of his hands. 'Here, have a balloon,' and when Max looks again he's holding one too. A mirror in one hand and a red balloon in the other.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:39 am
by Snapper

Max backed away towards the others as fast as he could, head swiveling between the clown and the balloon.

"What is going on?! Who the heck is this clown, and what's with the balloon?!"

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have a feeling he's that guy that used to work here," says Harry. "I bet he's in this with the witch."

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:51 pm
by Mephistophilis
Max blinks and the clown is right up in his face again. 'Everyone loves balloons Max.' There's a pop, the string in his hand going limp, red latex fragments flopping onto the ground.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry releases his balloon and watches it rise. "I only like them because of the fascinating properties of helium," he says.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:23 am
by Snapper

Max watched the clown fearfully, continuing to edge towards his friends.

"That's not really true is it? Not everyone loves anything! I didn't ask for a balloon and I don't want one. Now help us find our friends or get away from us!!"

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:27 pm
by Mephistophilis

The clown holds out his palms in front of him in what might be a gesture of contrition. Oddly the red balloon still seems to hang in the air, despite him releasing the string. There's no change in his masklike expression, but he turns and points to into the fog, towards the northwest.

'If you wantcha friends they're over there, Max.'

When they look back from where the clown is pointing he's moved again. He's standing just behind Dirk, leaning over his shoulder.

'Everybody loves clowns, Dirk,' and he leans forward, whispering in Dirk's ear in his rasping voice. 'Your momma loves clowns, Dirt.'

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That balloon must be filled with regular air," says Harry, "not helium. It's the only explanation why it doesn't float upward."

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:58 am
by Snapper

Max continued to watch the clown with real fear. But he squared his shoulders, determined to keep going.

"I don't know who or what this guy is but let's ignore him and his friend, and keep going east. On the topic of which, where is his friend, the little kid with one arm?"

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, he may be trying to lead us into a trap," says Harry. "He's pointing toward the lake. We can always go there later if this doesn't pan out."

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:05 pm
by Mephistophilis

The clown shrugs mechanically, his face expressionless, 'Suit-cha self,' he croaks. 'Come back anytime,' and he releases his balloon which slowly rises up into the air, lightly buffeted to the side by soft breezes. It rises into the darkness, the swirling mist encompassing it until it fades completely from view.

When you look back down, the clown is gone. You see a flash of red hair on the far side of the carousel. You have no idea how he managed to get that far away from you in so little time. The clown peers around a full length mirror that's propped up against a broken wooden horse. He seems to have another red balloon, gives a little wave with his other hand, then turns and disappears into the night.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could they have gone to the lake?" asks Harry. "Maybe he was using reverse psychology."

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:16 am
by Snapper

"At least the clown's gone for now. Let's get back to the carousel and just start yelling. The clown already knows where we are, there's no point hiding. But our friends might find us."

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay, let's go," says Harry.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:49 pm
by Mephistophilis

You're mere yards away from the carousel. The ground about it is littered with old wooden horses, paint peeling, eyes scratched or even gouged out. A few are still attached to the poles on the ride itself but mostly they've been replaced by piles of mirrors of various shapes and sizes, the brooding presence of shapeless grey figures trapped behind the glass seems to intrude on your thoughts, even as you avoid looking into them directly.

OOC:   I'm not quite sure what would be appropriate but I'd suggest maybe a CON roll to see how loud you can shout.  

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:42 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

Fail.  
Max attempted a good holler but wasn't very effective. "Darren!! Charlie!!"

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry echoes him, but he's not loud enough.

CON roll (35% stat) to shout loud enough:
d%

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's no answer to your shouts - they're just swallowed up by the thick fog and strangled to nothing.

Although there's no response to your shouts, you think you might be able to hear something. Coming from the northwest. It sounds like it might be shouting, but it's too hard to make out who or what is being said.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 am
by Snapper

1d%FF40%

Fail.  

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hear some shouting, coming from the northwest," says Harry. "I just can't make out the words. Looks like the clown was telling the truth. Let's head that way."

Notice Stuff roll (43% stat) after shouting:
d%

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 am
by Snapper

"Let's give it a try! This fog is terrible, we have to get everyone together then never split up again."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
You stumble through the darkness, following the sound of voices. You can't make anything out through the fog, but there's an odd smell in the air. The further you walk the stronger it gets. It's an acrid burning smell that starts to sear your throat and make your eyes water. You stop and look around, but you can't tell where it's coming from.

Eventually starting onward again, the shadows in the mist seem to become more defined. Like another ride. And there's something else, a sort of flickering glow in the distance. And the voices continue, louder, angrier. The unmistakable words fuck off cut through the darkness.

Approaching a little more slowly you can finally make out the shape of some kind of bumper-car ride, rusted carts litter the floor, and the roof has mostly collapsed in, leaving only the metal frame, covered in a red-brown rust. A sign reads Dodgems. Towards the far side there's a good going fire inside one of the cars, smoke billowing up and out the open roof.

And in front of the ride you can see Charlie, carrying a knife in one hand. Looking at a man sitting on the ground, arms around his knees. Rocking. And a few feet away lies Darren, blood running down his face and shirt. Holding onto him on the ground, pressing a bloody rag against the wound. Is that Louis?

OOC:   Moving here.