Ch.2 Exxon Pumping Station #31

October 1986. Contact with Exxon Pumping Station #31 in British Columbia has been lost and a rescue team has been assembled.

The environmental activist group, North Wind, had threatened to bring operations to a halt. Could they be behind this sudden communication failure, or is something else going on?

Moderator: Philulhu

Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: Ch.2 Exxon Pumping Station #31

Post by Joajackson »

Amanda stayed outside the office without looking inside, but she did order Benjamin.

"Any document that might be of relevance, bring it outside, remember, company property."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

The door to the Data Store was at the top of the stairs and Gavin was greeted with a low electronic hum as he pushed it open. Warm air rolled out, presumably generated by the servers inside.

The room was in darkness, except for the lights blinking on the servers, which stood in metal racks along both walls. At the far end of the room, a vague outline of a door could be seen.

Benjamin didn’t really know where to start with the room. Everything was turned upside down and nothing grabbed his attention - it was all such a mess!

Perhaps if some of the other members of the party gave him a hand, he might make better progress… …
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

"I better go check on my patient. He's all by himself." Randy headed back down the ladder to find Gavin.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gavin pulls the hand gun out and calmly calls into the room. " Hello! ,anyone here?" leaning against the doorway he uses his other hand to search for a possible light switch.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 464 times
"Yes, ma'am," says Benjamin. "It will take a while to go through all this mess. It'll go faster if I have some help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

As Gavin caught the light switch and flicked it on, Randy approached up the stairs.

A bank of lights in the middle of the ceiling illuminated the room, showing the racks of computer servers on both sides of a narrow space that lead to another door at the far end.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gun in hand Gavin slowly limped down the narrow walkway towards the door. Inspecting the door and listening before giving it a knock.
OOC:   phew....that was close...  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Hold up, Gavin, we need to wait for the others to catch up before we start going through doors. There's someone incredibly violent and dangerous around here somewhere. Just wait till at least Ben is here, then you've got two of us with some security training."

"Meantime, you've found the computer jackpot. I'm going to let the team know so Harold can start looking for parts to borrow for the radio."

Randy quickly headed back to the bottom of the ladder and yelled up to the team. "Hey! Gavin found a server room with lots of computers in it! Harold, this might be your best chance for spares for the radio, maybe?!"
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:56 am Benjamin.png

"Yes, ma'am," says Benjamin. "It will take a while to go through all this mess. It'll go faster if I have some help."
"I give it a 33% chance that wathever is inside there finally snaps me. I let you decide if I get inside, and remember, I am very armed and trigger happy."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
"I've seen worse," says Benjamin. "I think you can take it, ma'am, but it doesn't have to be you who comes in here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 8 months

Post by Lost_King »

Harold jumps at an opportunity to search the server room, glad to finally have something to do that he understood.

“This is perfect. Assuming these are still working, everything I need should be here.”

Electrical Engineering 66%

1d100

Success!  
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Boyd dont' enter the room for now
"Guys could you please cover the body?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Harold reckoned he can cannibalise the parts he needed from the one of the servers, though he would need a soldering iron and a screwdriver to break it down.

Gavin peered carefully through a small window in the door at the far end of the room. Beyond was a short corridor, probably no more than six feet or so, with the same light-panelled construction as elsewhere and a similar-looking door at the far end. It too had a window but the light refraction meant he couldn’t see what lay on the other side.

There wasn’t anything obvious that Benjamin could use to cover the corpse from the sensitive eyes of his team members.

”What about tipping the settee over?” suggested Bill.

Give me a Strength roll if you want to tip over the sofa. There’s a bonus die if you can persuade anyone to help you.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"I won't be any help with this ham radio club stuff. I'll head down to the supply room and start searching it for useful kit."

As promised, Randy headed down the stairs to the supply room the level below and started searching it.
Last edited by Snapper on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 381 times

Benjamin tries, but the settee doesn't quite budge. He's very strong, but it would take Samson to move this thing alone. "Good idea," he says. "Can I get a little help, please?"

STR roll (90% stat) to tip over the settee:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gavin nods at Randy as he watches him go down the stairs. He then grabs the handle and slowly pushes the door open.
OOC:   Did you say if the light was on in this room? Or is it jist like the Data room was i turned the light on?"  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The short corridor was well lit so Gavin could see the ‘Manager’ sign on the door facing him.

The window in the door had a privacy screen pulled across so he couldn’t see into the room beyond.

Can I have a spot hidden roll, please?

Whoever had built the settee, had clearly intended it to be around for many years to come because it was one solidly-built settee! Benjamin had succeeded in sliding it across the carpet a bit, but tipping it over was beyond him without any help.

He does however find a magazine for the automatic he saw earlier. It looked as if the victim was trying to reload before he got killed.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%pHdd50%

Hard Success.  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gun in hand Gavin makes his way to the managers door and gives it a knock.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

There was no answer to Gavin’s knock.

One of the packing cases had an ’Electronic Parts’ label on the side. It had been opened and was mostly empty.

On the stairs up to the data room, Randy noticed some discarded packaging, suggesting someone may have dropped it, taking the contents away.

Return to “The Pipeline”