Ch.1a Plane Sailing (Ben, Boyd, Harold)

October 1986. Contact with Exxon Pumping Station #31 in British Columbia has been lost and a rescue team has been assembled.

The environmental activist group, North Wind, had threatened to bring operations to a halt. Could they be behind this sudden communication failure, or is something else going on?

Moderator: Philulhu

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Ch.1a Plane Sailing (Ben, Boyd, Harold)

Post by kabukiman »

"Well, that went well. Now let's go quick before they change their mind".
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

The wolves were out of sight by the time the three men reached the fuselage. Up close, with the stink of AVGAS filling the air, they were able to see how much damage the plane had sustained, and marvel that they had survived the crash at all!

The left wing had sheared off where it met the engine housing. The right was partially buried in the ground when the plane had plunged from the ledge above. The nose of the plane was crumpled, all the windows were broken and both doors missing, left and right. Bits of metal, glass and other wreckage littered the ground all around, particularly where the AVGAS had melted the snow away.

Can I have a luck roll and a spot hidden roll from everyone, please.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 521 times
"That's the most effective single bullet I ever fired," says Benjamin, "and I didn't even have to hit anything. I'm glad I was able to remind the wolves that God gave man dominion over the beasts."

Luck roll (current stat 40%):
d%
Spot Hidden roll (30% skill):
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Boyd:
Luck: 40%
Spot Hidden: 30%
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I’ll just give Lost_King a chance to make his rolls then we can see what you find.
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 8 months

Post by Lost_King »

OOC:   My sincerest apologies for my continued absence. I’m back now, hopefully for good. I’ve set a daily reminder on my phone to check in, plus some other reminders that I should see regularly.  

Luck 55%

1d100
Penalty Die: 1d10

Fail  
Spot Hidden 30%

1d100
Not sure if I also needed a penalty die here too
Penalty die: 1d10

Fail?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Your penalty dice applied to your luck roll only, so your successful spot hidden applies.

Speaking of which...

As the drew closer to the plane, both men noticed the damage to the cowling on the engine nearest to them. It was severely dented (which probably accounted for the engine failure that brought the plane down) as if it had been hit by something, although whether that was before the flight or during it, they couldn’t be sure.

Close in, the smell of AVGAS from the plane was overpowering, particularly in the fuselage itself. It seemed that the wolves had found the spare ration packs as they had been torn open and spoiled, although determining whether that was by fuel or by wolf urine would take a much closer inspection to find out.

Strewn among the debris were those personal effects that they hadn’t managed to grab when they had bailed out just hours before, as well as some of the other equipment that they had brought with them, such as tents, ropes, etc. As they explored, they heard a wolf’s howl, so they hadn’t gone very far away. Additionally, the weather was starting to draw in, so loitering wouldn’t be a good idea.

Ok, so Randy and Boyd made their luck rolls, so you can choose up to three items, either from the list below or from any of the personal items (yours or other PCs) that haven’t previously been recovered.

Harold failed his luck roll, so he gets two random items and one of your choice. Your random items are:

Recovered Gear
1. Tent, Arctic (4 adults)
2. Rations (20 individual meals)
3. Canteen (1 quart)
4. Show Shoes (1 pair)
5. Climbing Gear (150 ft. max)
6. Survival Kit (flare gun with 3 flares, compass, knife, folding shovel, and 20 waterproof matches)
7. First Aid Kit (basic)
8. Player’s Choice (any of the above or personal item)

Roll #1 1d8
Roll #2 1d8

Re-rolling the spoilt rations, which I’m assuming you wouldn’t take through choice…

1d8

Ok, that gives Harold a survival kit and two choices (kit above or personal items).
Last edited by Philulhu on Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Benjamin finds a canteen, a first aid kit, and Amanda's M-16A2, which he intends to bring back to her.

Arctic tents would be useful for two of remaining choices.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

So Boyd choose tent, tent again (so we can all stay indoors) and knife survival kite.
Last edited by kabukiman on Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Lost_King »

You are correct in that Harold would not take spoiled rations.

Harold will take Amanda’s 1911 .45 and the bullet box.

If one of those options isn’t available, he’ll take his Polaroid camera (assuming that it is intact after the crash). Otherwise he’ll take his walking stick.

If I take the pistol, can I also grab the bullet box as part of the item, or is that a separate item? I’m assuming the pistol would already be loaded, but only with seven or eight rounds (depending on the model).
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The box of ammunition is a separate item (as it’s 100 rounds, it’s bulky). Otherwise, there are seven rounds in the pistol.

The Polaroid camera is there and appears to be in working order , if you want to swap that for the pistol or ammo.

The three men quickly gathered their scavenged supplies and made ready to return to the others. As they set off, they could see the wolf pack had returned and was watching them from a distance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Benjamin leads the way back to camp with his M-16 ready in his hands and keeping an eye on the wolves. "The plane's all yours now, friends," he says. He'll leave the wolves alone as long as they leave him and his companions alone.

The survival kit is a single item on that list, and it includes a knife among other things, so you should have the option of taking the whole kit.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:08 am Benjamin.png

Benjamin leads the way back to camp with his M-16 ready in his hands and keeping an eye on the wolves. "The plane's all yours now, friends," he says. He'll leave the wolves alone as long as they leave him and his companions alone.

The survival kit is a single item on that list, and it includes a knife among other things, so you should have the option of taking the whole kit.
Thanks, I' l change my post.
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Lost_King »

I’ll stick with the gun and bullets. I don’t want wasting ammunition to become an issue if there’s more wolves around.

Harold follows close behind Benjamin, pistol in hand, trying to look calm and throwing the occasional nervous glance at the wolves.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The wind had picked up, and snow pricked at their faces like sharp needles wherever it could. At times it felt like they were almost being propelled forward along the icy river bed, almost as if something was guiding their steps forward.

The sky was darkening as they finally saw two tents and a flickering flame from a small fire up ahead, tucked up against the base on one of the pipeline supports. As they drew closer, they could see Amanda and Randy stood by one of the tents, the latter holding a burning branch like a ward.

We’re going to rejoin the main thread (link) which I’ll update shortly. In the meantime, can I have CON checks from everyone, please?
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Boyd Con: 45%
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

That’ll be a penalty die to your next roll, unless you want to spend a couple of points of luck to make that a success?
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Good idea! I'l spend the 2 points.

Boyd was starting to feel the cold and loosing heart... but somehow when he saw the tents, he recovered his spirit and continued without much problems.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Benjamin also barely shakes off the cold before it gets to him. "There was a pack of wolves at the plane, but a single shot scared them off," he says, holding out the M-16 he retrieved to Amanda. "Here you go, ma'am. And I brought back a first aid kit for you, Randy. I also found a canteen." When he has a spare moment, he tops off his magazine with a couple of bullets, one to replace the round he fired and another to replace the one that was automatically moved to the chamber after that.

CON roll (80% stat) from the cold:
d%
Spending 4 Luck to make that a success.

Did we already have tents?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Lost_King »

Con 45%

1d100
Fail

Return to “The Pipeline”