Page 1 of 1

Ch.1 Rescue Plan

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:13 am
by Philulhu
Tuesday, 28 October 1986, 08:30hrs.
En-route to Exxon Pumping Station #31, via Telegraph Creek, Kitimat-Stikine Regional District, British Columbia

The flimsy, two-sided sheet of A4 paper set out the scant details of what was known about the mission.

+++STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL+++

Exxon Pumping Station #31: Construction commenced Fall 1985. Due to be fully operational by November 1986.

Project cost: $[commercially sensitive] billion.

Anticipated yield: $[commercially sensitive] billion.

What we know: Contact lost with Exxon Pumping Station #31 on Oct. 18th. Attempts to re-establish contact with the station or the relay station at Telegraph Creek have failed. Cause of failure unknown.

Possible causes:

(1) Mechanical breakdown. Spare parts to be sent with rescue team.

(2) Bad weather. Meteorologists report blizzards and extreme cold in area of Chutine Landing.

(3) Human interference. “North Wind” - an environmental activist group - involved in protests in western Canada, Alaska and North Dakota. Most recent protest resulted in a fire at Rainbow Lake Pumping Station, Alberta in Winter 1985. Lost revenue $[commercially sensitive] million. Three Exxon employees killed and twenty-three injured. FBI/CSIS investigation on-going.

Station Personnel: Anthony Ricco (chief engineer), Daniel Walters (station manager), Dale Charbinau (electrician/back-up radio operator), Georgina Davidson (radio operator/engineer), James Mathews (geologist), Roger Morris (engineer and mechanic)

Also present: Anna Levesque, Brian Carson (safety inspectors, Department of Energy, Mines and Resources)

Mission personnel: Amanda Drake (lead), Benjamin Shepherd, Randolph Booth (all security), Harold Cain (electrical engineer), Gavin Holt (wilderness guide), Nathanial Boyer (Exxon representative).

Mission parameters: (1) Re-establish contact with Exxon Pumping Station #31. (2) Secure site. (3) Deal with any potential human interference.

Travel arrangements: Private charter to Telegraph Creek. Road transport to Chutine Landing. Snow Cats to Exxon Pumping Station #31.

Roger M. O’Connor (NW Operations Manager)
Exxon Corporation

+++STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL+++

You climb on board the DHC-6 Twin Otter ski-plane and squeeze in. With five of you, the pilot, Ryan Harris, and all of your equipment, there isn’t much room. Ryan grumbles about the weight, but the take-off is smooth and you settle down for your three-hour flight to Telegraph Creek.

Re: Ch.1 Rescue Plan

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:09 pm
by Joajackson

Amanda Drake unconfortably tried to acommodate correctly in her seat, and it wasnt working. She had a bad feeling, and she wasnt sure if it was because of the seat or the mission, but the seat didnt help.

"I hope all of you have already read all the pertinent information about what we are doing, I will be the authority for this while, so if something is dangerous listen to me first, then do something."

She spoke to the rest of the group, trying to stablish leadership early in the mission.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:06 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin Holt sitting back in his seat, eyes closed opens them upon hearing the young lady speak, turning towards her, taking in her words, thinking 'All very well talking about dangerous incidents when they happen, but sometimes they have a different agenda amd you have to go with gut instinct, wonder how you'll deal with those instances? Not everything can sorted out by committee.'
Before resting his head back and closing his eyes.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:33 pm
by Philulhu
Ryan glanced in his mirror, looked at his passengers and shook his head…

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
"Yes, ma'am," says Benjamin Shepherd, sketching a salute. "This flight's three hours, just like the Minnow on Gilligan's Island, and there's seven of us. Hope that's not a sign."

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:25 am
by Snapper

Randy was dressed for the mission in jeans and an olive-green West German 'Bundeswehr' army surplus jacket, the first choice of semi-rad college students across the western world. As well as the West German flag, the jacket was festooned with patches, many seemingly Scout related (e.g. one reads "Canadian Scouts Advanced Nuclear Energy Achievement"). And Walkman headphones seemed permanently attached to his ears, the Walkman itself tucked into a jacket pocket.

Shortly before boarding, Randy selected a new tape for his Walkman, the tape case clearly showing Tom Cruise in a military uniform. As soon as the plane was airborne, Randy settled down to inventory his somewhat more advanced looking first aid kit. Keen listeners would hear him occasionally singing, "Take my breathe away...," but he was largely drowned out by the noisy prop engines.

Randy seemed oblivious to any conversation around him.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:23 am
by Lost_King
Harold looks around, surveying the people around him with a neutral expression. He gives a subtle nod to Amanda when she speaks, then mutters something to himself for a couple of minutes. Anyone sitting by him might think he was praying. He takes a few deep breaths as he finishes his prayer, and pulls out a sketch pad, going over a detailed drawing of some electrical gadget. After a while, he puts his sketch pad away and stares off into space…

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:04 pm
by Philulhu
As the plane took them north, around Whistler and along the eastern ranges of the Coast Mountains, the Canadian wilderness unfolded before them. Swathes of pristine snow blanketed the slopes, punctuated by patches of evergreen forest.

Very occasionally, with the frequency decreasing as they went further north, they saw cross-country skiers and snow-cats trekking across the snow fields, leaving long tracks behind them.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:35 pm
by Snapper

Randy eventually finished the 'Top Gun' soundtrack, moved on through 'The Goonies' and 'The Breakfast Club' soundtracks, and eventually started on some more serious albums.

Meantime, having finished the first aid kit inventory fairly efficiently, he pulled out a well thumbed guidebook to edible vegetation in the Canadian wilderness, fished some glasses out of his jacket and started reading.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:49 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Opening his eyes Gavin Holt looked out the window, taking in pristine views, the pure, crisp white snow looking over the peaceful barren horizon. A small smile on his lips and a single thought in his head. 'Home'.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:44 am
by Joajackson

The woman seemed to have at least some of the team being cooperative... and some ignoring her or being considerably rude. She would need to deal with that, and she really would have liked better an unified team, but this is what she got.

She left the time pass in silence, shutting her brain to her own internal conversation.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Benjamin looks out the window as they fly, when he isn't reading his Bible. "That looks like fun," he says as he sees the skiers far below.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:32 am
by Snapper

Randy eventually replaces the guidebook with another paperback, this one on advanced first aid. He starts reading diligently, occasionally seeming to recite first aid instructions to himself. The Walkman headphones stay on.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:51 am
by kabukiman
Boyer nods completly distracted and takes a cigar.
"I just hope that they won't ask me to stay and clean whateaver mess there is"

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
The ski-plane followed a leisurely route between the mountains, tracing the river below. Raising his voice over the sound of the engine, Ryan called back down the plane, “Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking! Just to let you know, we’re about 45 minutes from Telegraph Creek, which is actually to the North of where we want to be, but it’s the safest place to land. It’s also where they have fuel, so I make no apologies for wanting to be able to fly home again after I’ve dropped you off!”

He waited for the mocking catcalls to subside before continuing. “If you look down, you’ll see the Stikine River and soon we’ll actually be flying over the pumping station itself so you’ll get a good view of it. If you look to your right, you’ll also see…”

Whatever landmark Ryan was about to point out was violently obscured as the starboard engine suddenly exploded, spattering the fuselage with burning oil and red hot shards of the engine housing! “Shit! Shit!” he screamed, the fear in his voice clear for all to hear! The plane yawed suddenly, standing almost on its wingtip before plummeting the other way! There was a metallic screech and the plane banked again as the wingtip of the engine-damaged wing sheared clean away!

The cabin was a whirlwind of flailing limbs and anything not secured was thrown around the cabin as the plane veered uncontrollably! “We’ve got to land!” Ryan yelled, and nose of the plane was forced downwards as he pushed the stick forward as hard as he could! The last thing they heard before a sudden shuddering impact robbed them of consciousness, was “Brace! Brace! Brace!”

… …

… … …

… … … …

The bitter cold and a steady creaking noise woke them. For some, it was reminiscent of porch door in a high wind. For others, it was a rope swing, hung from a tree in a childhood garden. But once they opened their eyes, they realised it was neither. It was, in fact, the plane in which they’d been travelling, the cockpit open to the elements and a good chunk of the tail plane torn away, balanced precariously on a high ledge, rocking ever so slightly backwards and forwards.

As more people stirred, that was all the impetus the plane needed. Gradually, gracefully, it flopped forwards , landing on the broad snowfield in front of the ledge. The snowfield dropped away when it reached the cliff edge and with mounting horror, they realised that the plane, with them inside, was about to be catapulted off the edge and into the river below! It moved slowly at first, but was starting to pick up speed! It was time to get out!!

You have 60 seconds to get off the plane, before it goes over the edge. Getting out is no problem because of the holes in the fuselage and you may attempt to grab some of your gear as you do so.

Each search will take 20 seconds. If you make a successful Spot Hidden roll for each search you can choose which item to take. If you fail your roll(s), I’ll randomly choose something for you.

There is no penalty for searching in the 0-20 seconds and 21-40 seconds segments, but if you go for a third search before trying to get off the plane (i.e. in the 41-60 seconds segment), please also make a Dexterity check to see how well you exit the plane.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
Benjamin hastily grabs his M-16A2 and a random piece of gear, one in each hand, and scrambles from the plane. He's glad he's wearing his Kevlar vest already.

Spot Hidden rolls (30% skill) to grab gear:
d%
d%

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:06 am
by Lost_King

spot hidden (30): 1d100
  Fail  
spot hidden (30): 1d100
  Fail  

Harold grabs 2 random items and hurries off the plane. He is already wearing his walking boots, but otherwise has no special equipment on his person. Breathing heavily, Harold scans the area for other immediate dangers.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:40 am
by BoyBlunder78

Gavin as soon as his head stops ringing and his vision clears, grabs his rucksack and rifle and makes his way off the plane.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:33 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Slightly amended...  

1d%pHdd50%

Extreme success.  

1d%pHdd50%

Success.  

1d%pHdd50%

Hard success.  

DEX 75%
1d%d

Hard success.  

Randy grabbed the advanced first aid kit, his M16, and a tent, then dove out of the wrecked plane. He yelled to the others, "Anyone see the pilot?!"

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:26 am
by Philulhu
Hi all, I think a bit of clarification is required. A successful roll allows you to grab one piece of equipment per successful roll i.e. a rifle, a tent, a camera, an ice axe. Your characters have just been through a plane crash and you can assume that everything has been thrown about, including things that were in your backpacks.

And just a hint about that potential third roll. I see no one took it up, presumably out of concern that they’d follow the plane over the edge. I’m not planning on killing anyone off just yet, but there is a chance you may get hurt if you go for it.

PS. Don’t forget to record any successful skill checks.

Lost_King: if you haven’t used the dice roller before, you should hopefully see it as an option below the ‘save draft’, ‘Preview’ and ‘Submit’ buttons at the bottom of the text entry box. Your roll donation for skills will be 1d100 and once you’ve clicked the ‘Roll the dice’ button, you’ll see roll ID and a green arrow which will insert it into your text e.g. 1d100

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:31 am
by Philulhu
Assuming you’re still having problems with the dice roller, here’s Amanda’s spot hidden (40%) rolls:

#1 1d100
#2 1d100

That’s one successful roll and one failed, so please choose one item of equipment and I’ll randomly determine the other.

Do you want to go for a third attempt?

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:48 am
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:26 am
Hi all, I think a bit of clarification is required. A successful roll allows you to grab one piece of equipment per successful roll i.e. a rifle, a tent, a camera, an ice axe. Your characters have just been through a plane crash and you can assume that everything has been thrown about, including things that were in your backpacks.

And just a hint about that potential third roll. I see no one took it up, presumably out of concern that they’d follow the plane over the edge. I’m not planning on killing anyone off just yet, but there is a chance you may get hurt if you go for it.

PS. Don’t forget to record any successful skill checks.

Lost_King: if you haven’t used the dice roller before, you should hopefully see it as an option below the ‘save draft’, ‘Preview’ and ‘Submit’ buttons at the bottom of the text entry box. Your roll donation for skills will be 1d100 and once you’ve clicked the ‘Roll the dice’ button, you’ll see roll ID and a green arrow which will insert it into your text e.g. 1d100
Spoiler:
OK, Randy's game, I'll amend the earlier post accordingly.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:51 am
by Philulhu
Thanks 🙂

Edit: If you’ve gone for your third roll, please choose a third piece of equipment and make a DEX check as your exit.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:23 pm
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:51 am
Thanks 🙂

Edit: If you’ve gone for your third roll, please choose a third piece of equipment and make a DEX check as your exit.
OOC:   👍  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:24 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Sooo......rucksack a no no? ;)  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:40 pm
by Philulhu
Gavin grabbed his rucksack only for any glee he felt turn to despair as the bottom promptly fell out, depositing his belongings on the floor, where they slid down towards the nose and tumbled over the cliff and into the foaming river below.

To make sure they were beyond recovery, the fuselage of the plane then dropped on them, caught fire, exploded, and then a large Monty Python-esque foot emerged from the clouds and stomped everything into a flat pancake, barely millimetres wide… …

https://tenor.com/WIUT.gif

;)

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:00 pm
by Lost_King
Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:53 pm You have 60 seconds to get off the plane, before it goes over the edge. Getting out is no problem because of the holes in the fuselage and you may attempt to grab some of your gear as you do so.

Each search will take 20 seconds. If you make a successful Spot Hidden roll for each search you can choose which item to take. If you fail your roll(s), I’ll randomly choose something for you.

There is no penalty for searching in the 0-20 seconds and 21-40 seconds segments, but if you go for a third search before trying to get off the plane (i.e. in the 41-60 seconds segment), please also make a Dexterity check to see how well you exit the plane.
My bad, I had missed these instructions entirely. I will amend my post asap.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:30 pm
by kabukiman
Boyer:

Spott hidden 30%

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:31 pm
by kabukiman
Boyer gets a flare gun and rations. He runs immediatly after to exit the plane.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:40 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:31 am
Assuming you’re still having problems with the dice roller, here’s Amanda’s spot hidden (40%) rolls:

#1 1d100
#2 1d100

That’s one successful roll and one failed, so please choose one item of equipment and I’ll randomly determine the other.

Amanda suddenly woke up from a strange dream of crashing into the ground from a plane...
Except she actually had done that, the moment she noticed that, Amanda quickly checked for her responsability, each member of her team. They seemed to be alive and leaving the plane.

Now, the cockpit was open to air, and she didnt seem to see the pilot quickly. She searched for Ryan, just in case he was unconscious and needed rescue. She took wathever other object she could her hand into, and tried to search for a third thing to keep

Thanks for helping me out with the roling :lol:

I dont know if the pilot, Ryan, counts as an ítem, if it doesnt, I take the flare gun.
Also, yes I would thank a third roll

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm not rolling a third time. I only have 30% in Spot Hidden. My chances of succeeding are less than my chances of failing the DEX roll. I did get an extreme success on my second roll, though.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:15 pm
by Philulhu
umm, no. The pilot does not count as an item… 😉

Spot hidden #3 (40%) 1d100

That’s a successful roll so chose another item.

DEX 70 1d100

Amanda exits the plane without incident.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:20 pm
by Joajackson
Joajackson wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:40 pm Image
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:31 am

#1 1d100
#2 1d100

Amanda suddenly woke up from a strange dream of crashing into the ground from a plane...
Except she actually had done that, the moment she noticed that, Amanda quickly checked for her responsability, each member of her team. They seemed to be alive and leaving the plane.

Now, the cockpit was open to air, and she didnt seem to see the pilot quickly. She searched for Ryan, just in case he was unconscious and needed rescue. She took wathever other object she could her hand into, and tried to search for a third thing to keep

Thanks for helping me out with the roling :lol:

I dont know if the pilot, Ryan, counts as an ítem, if it doesnt, I take the flare gun.
Also, yes I would thank a third roll
She didnt manage to found the pilot, and managed to come out at the last moments, carrying a flare, a box of munitions for the M16 and a random ítem

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:46 pm
by Philulhu

Benjamin:
M-16A2 (30 rounds)
Kevlar Vest*
Climbing equipment

*Realistically, I don’t think that Benjamin would have been wearing his Kevlar vest to travel as I shouldn’t think they’re that comfortable, but given your extreme success, you can have that as a bonus.

Harold:
Sketchbook & pencil
Folding shovel

Gavin:
Rifle
Backpack

The backpack counts as one item, but doesn’t include the contents. If you want to bring one of the items carried in the backpack instead, then you can swap it out.

Randy:
Advanced First Aid Kit
M16A-2
Tent
TBC

You got an extreme spot hidden so can grab something else.

Boyer:
Flare gun
Rations
TBC

With an extreme spot hidden success, you can grab another item.

Amanda:
Flare gun
M16-A2 ammunition (100 rounds)
Tent

Everyone raced out the back of the plane, grabbing whatever they could as they did so, some with more success than others. Amanda and Randy were last off, both exiting without any problems, but they could only stand and watch as the plane slithered away down the slope, taking the rest of their equipment with it over the edge. There was a few moments of silence then an almighty ‘BANG!’ as the plane hit the valley floor below and broke up into hundreds of pieces.

The sound echoed for a few moments then died away, muffled by the snow. They looked around. They were on the side of a mountain, above the treeline, and it was cold, so very cold… …

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:07 am
by Joajackson

With the plane falling down the slope just moments after she left it, Amanda was too much in shock to react appropiately, she stood there for some moments, feeling her own heart beat. Finally, she took breath and refused to let it out until she fell unconscious or she felt real thoughts. This failed, as this is not a thing human can actually do, but it helped her calm herself.

Finally, she managed to get enough of her mind back to evaluate the other members of the group.

"We must assume the pilot dead ¡Listen everyone! Declare what you have and lets prepare to move, we need to find shelter, suggestions are appreciated. Benjamin, take these, and check for animals, I doubt any predator would want to go near here, but I dont want to die to a wolf ¡Now!"

She handed the bullets box to Benjamin

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
"Thank you, ma'am," says Benjamin, accepting the box of ammo. "I have my M-16A2, fully loaded with thirty rounds, my Kevlar vest, and this very useful climbing gear. That'll help us get down off the mountain. A duck would have been useful too. After all, everyone knows you don't get down off a mountain. You get down off a duck." He looks around the area to see if there are any animals around, though he doubts any could make it up here, except possibly a very surefooted goat.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:49 am
by Snapper
Do the survival kits count as 1 item or is each of their contents 1 item?

Randy peers in the direction of the plane. "Can we get down there? Surely, some of the tougher stuff we brought can be salvaged?"

"Whatever we do, let's get down as fast as we can, limit the risk of hypothermia."

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:00 am
by Lost_King
Harold treads over to where Amanda, Benjamin, and Randy are standing.

“All I got was my sketchbook, a mechanical pencil, and a dumb shovel. I can’t see how that will be useful, but I’ve been surprised before. Regardless, I hope we don’t have to trek through deep snow or over too much ice to get down, I’m just wearing hiking boots.”

Are we wearing normal clothing, or the weatherproof clothing we had?

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
"A shovel's very useful," says Benjamin. "It's a soldier's best friend. One of them saved my life during the Yom Kippur War."

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:59 am
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin walks towards the group, looking down at the plane. Shaking his head he says "The plane isnt an option at the moment. We are exposed and ill equipped to reach it. We should count ourselves lucky we are
relatively unscathed and pushing our luck any further in my opinion would be putting ourselves at an unnecessary risk.Our main priority should be to find shelter
Looking to Amanda, seeing her in shock tries to guve her something to focus on, " Do you know the direction of the station we flew over?"

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:04 am
by kabukiman
"I just got the flare gun and some rations, Maybe building a shelter should be our priority? As long as the weather dont gets worst, in a day or two, someone will probably came to rescue us"- says Boyer.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:15 pm
by Joajackson

Hearing what everyone has with them, it seemed they really were in a terrible state for surviving anything.

"¡We will divide in groups! None of us has a map or a compass. Whoever has any idea of a place to move and get shelter, indicate so, he and Benjamin go together. The rest try to get down to the plane. I will remain here as a middle point, Benjamin leave your climbing equipment."

"Randy, no animal will be near a crashed plane, leave your M16-A2 with me and take the climbing equipment. Is your job to keep the other safe, clear?"

"I think Gavin should go with Benjamin, if no one has any better idea. The rest down to the plane."

Now, she had no idea if this was a good idea, but as far as she knew, no diving the party wasnt a rule for survivalism in the wild, so better if they worked in the most tasks at the same time, and she had to order people arround as the security leader in a crisis situation.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin shakes his head at the mention of reaching the plane and moves over to Benjamin looking around the surrounding area for any suitable places for shelter.
OOC:   What roll would it be to locate a good place to build a shelter?  

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Benjamin leaves the climbing gear with Amanda and goes with Gavin as ordered. He looks around, but he's sure Gavin is more likely to find something. Benjamin is just with him to protect him.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:53 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Just want to find out about the survival kit which will decide what further item Randy has rescued. I'll post after that.  

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:24 pm
by Philulhu
Survival kit: I treated each item as individual when working out what people managed to grab from the plane.

Gavin: Your survival skill is for temperate forests so not ideal. If you use that you would roll with a penalty dice. Alternatively, you could use Natural World.

Clothing: You all have your arctic weather gear on.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:14 am
by Snapper
OOC:   As his extra item, Randy will bag his .45 automatic.  

Randy looked doubtful as he handed over the M16. "Boss, I appreciate the company has put you in charge of the station investigation, but this is a whole new deal. We could die of exposure out here. And I mean tonight. I've done a lot of Scout camps in the snow, and I'm being paid to advise you."

"No-one should be alone. Pairs at least in case something goes wrong. And I'm your medic. Everyone should be with me, in case anyone gets hurt."

"Can I suggest everyone gets down to tree level, we get shelter for the night set up and a fire if possible. Then tomorrow we find out if we can get to the plane. Lot of our stuff is pretty hard to break and pretty waterproof, if we can find it."

"Also, anyone wonder what happened to the plane? Did it get shot?"

Randy presented this as a calm and reasoned argument, not sounding angry or aggressive.

Can Randy make a Survival (Arctic) roll?  

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:21 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin scans the horizon. Whether it's the shock still kicking in or the weather he cant quite make out anything particularly ideal. Shaking his head, he hears Randy's suggestion and says "Thats the first sensible thing ive heard all day, come in Benjamin lets head over to the edge of the tree line".

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:20 pm
by Joajackson

Amanda did not appreciate having her authority be opposed, but accepted at least to Randy's proposal. She really did not like Gavin's words, and there were no buts about it, it was clear the time until they got rescued was going to be rough.

She at least had a weapon now, just to be sure.

"The plane couldnt have been shot down. No one is shooting at planes here, and I doubt anything hitting us would have left us mostly intact."

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:56 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
"Let's go," says Benjamin, following Gavin to the treeline.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:45 pm
by Philulhu

It was clear that the treeline would offer more shelter but it was also clear it was going to take an hour or so to get there, given they would be crossing thick snow with only one pair of snowshoes between them.

Yes, please make a survival roll. If the skill’s appropriate, then you don’t need to ask.

Gavin’s roll was unsuccessful, which wasn’t entirely surprising, given the disparity in environments.

Happy for you to make Navigation rolls to try to determine the best way to go. The base skill is 10% if you don’t have it listed.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Benjamin is able to get his bearings, thanks in part to the fact that he knows moss only grows on the north side of trees.

Navigate roll (35% skill) to get his bearings:
d%

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   sorry about the natural world roll, dice roller seemed to be a roll behind. Another fail. Gavin really living upto his Wildrness guide vocation.....  
Once again Gavin casts his eyes over the current surroundings.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:22 am
by kabukiman
Navigate: 10%

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:32 pm
by Snapper

1d%L()45%

Fail.  

1d%10%

Fail.  

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:14 pm
by Philulhu
Perhaps it was the shock of the crash landing but Randy was struggling to gather his thoughts and pull together a coherent plan. Heading for the treeline seemed like the best plan, however.

Benjamin had spoken to the pilot during the journey so knew that following the river to the north would lead them to the pumping station. He wasn’t sure how far, however. The pilot had said they would pass over the station “in a few minutes” so he estimated that they were a good few miles away, given the disparity between their walking speed and the plane’s airspeed.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:34 pm
by Snapper

Randy looked at the sky and tried to judge the position of the sun. He did his best not to look anxious but the crash was still on his mind.

"That poor pilot..."

"We really want to be below the tree line and have camp set up well before dark. Somewhere sheltered if possible. Hopefully, we can find some dry wood down there too for a fire."

"I wonder how good one of those flare guns would be at starting a fire? You'd think a flare could just about set even snow on fire."

"On the upside, dehydration won't be an issue."

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
"If we have enough time, we could make it to the pumping station before it gets dark," says Benjamin. "We just have to follow the river to the north, which is that way." He points it out to the others. "The pilot had told me we'd pass over it in a few minutes, so we're a good few miles away, considering we're going to be a lot slower on foot. That pumping station's going to be better shelter than anything else we're likely to find."

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:13 am
by Joajackson

"We should try to move the farthest we can to the north, if we havent found the pumping station when dark starts, we shelter down and wait for tomorrow. And we wont use the flares to start forest fires."

Amanda declared, still acting as leader.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:12 pm
by Snapper

"I'm happy to go any direction you say, as long as we get below the tree line by the fastest route first, and as long as we go by the plane wreckage on the way. If we can get to the plane."

"And as long as we allow time to set up camp today, well before it gets dark. I guess we'll have to make a decision at some point about how far we think the pumping station is. If we can walk there this afternoon, great."

"But as far as I know, none of us has a flashlight, do we? So if anyone gets lost in the dark, we won't be able to find them. And they could easily die in this environment."

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
The time was approaching 10.00am and Randy knew they had about eight hours before it would be dark, by which time they would have just the light of the moon and stars to guide them, if they had any light at all. The weather in this part of the world was unpredictable at best and any hold-up could leave them stranded

A few experimental steps highlighted another problem. Without snow shoes, each step into the snow sunk a foot deep; it would be hard work and slow going, probably only around a mile per hour. Moving carefully forward to the edge of the slope, they could see the plane on the riverbank below. On the otherside of the frozen river, they could see the pipeline, that could presumably lead them to the pumping station.

The only problem was that the river was around 100 feet below where they were. They would have to climb or find another way around…

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
"We'll have to climb down first to get anywhere," says Benjamin. "That's where that climbing gear will come in useful."

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:32 am
by Snapper

Randy looked at the 100' drop and then at the rest of the party.

"What's our plan? Lower people down? Without slipping in the snow? And what happens to the last few up here? One or two of us will wind up stuck up here."

"Or are we talking people climbing down with a fixed safety rope? How experienced is everyone with climbing? I do have the Scout Advanced Climber badge but this looks hard."

"Or maybe a combo? Lower the first three down. Then fix the rope and the second three actually climb down using it?"

Randy started digging a small hole in the snow, trying to get to the presumed rock surface below.

Randy's attempt to assess the most feasible plan for climbing down:

1d%L60%

Fail. Randy has no clue. Not a promising start...  

OOC:   Are there places where a rope could be safely fixed to the ground / a tree trunk etc, where the party currently is, near the drop to the plane?  

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:46 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Looking down towards the plane Gavin shakes his head. "Without the correct equipment climbing down in these conditions would be close to suicidal. We can barely walk properly,never mind climb down or lower anyone down . On the plus side we at least know the direction of the station...probaly. We should shelter amd then we can assess what the best course of action. Has anyone seen anything from the plane lyimg near is? Possibilty that something else could've fallen from the plane as it crashed."
OOC:   What roll would it be to try and see if there's possibly any other items from the plane near us?  

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:21 pm
by kabukiman
"We need to decide fast, but I doubt I could make that climb. Maybe there is another path, even if it takes longer?"-Boyd

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:15 pm
by Philulhu
Can you give me a luck roll.

If you have more than the base skill then you can consider yourself to have had some experience at climbing, even if it is just your scout badge 🙂 Otherwise, you’re a novice climber and this is probably your first time in harness, as it were.

Going back to LostKing’s explanation of climbing, it will occur to Randy that the biggest problem will be the length of available rope. It’s 100’ down and you only have 150’ of rope, which would discount the possibility of belaying, which appears to need the climb distance x2 in rope, if I understand that correctly.

You could be lowered down (although there are no obvious anchor points) and potentially could find some more rope in the wreckage, but if not, where do you go from there?

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   cC'mon lady luck..  
  Ouch......think Gavins broke a few mirrors.....  

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:58 pm
by Philulhu
Gavin finds nothing.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:00 pm
by BoyBlunder78
  not even snow  

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:01 pm
by Philulhu
You rolled a 96 on your luck score, so no… 😉

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:21 pm
by Lost_King
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:15 pm Going back to LostKing’s explanation of climbing, it will occur to Randy that the biggest problem will be the length of available rope. It’s 100’ down and you only have 150’ of rope, which would discount the possibility of belaying, which appears to need the climb distance x2 in rope, if I understand that correctly.
With a Sticht plate (the appropriate belaying equipment for the time) you don’t need to double back the rope. However, you would be self-belaying yourself down a fixed rope, so no one could help you if you got stuck. If you fell, the Sticht plate would catch you, assuming your rope was still attached to the top. Additionally, multiple people could climb down the same rope if they each had their own individual climbing gear, since a climber isn’t necessarily on the end of the rope, but is instead moving down the middle, if that makes sense

“Since we’ve only got one set of climbing equipment, whoever goes down should tie the equipment to the rope. We can pull the rope up when they reach the bottom, and another person can climb down after them.”

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30 pm
by Philulhu
Cheers, LostKing 🙂

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:17 pm
by Joajackson

Amanda tried to consider the situation carefully, after a while as everyone was discussing she gave her opinion as leader.

"We are still early in the day, and we have over 6 hours to stablish appropiate shelter, abandoning for today would be silly. We dont have exactly enough food for staying arround here for a week. Lets try to find a way to go down safely, I am unsure about the climbing plan, if we dont have anything in two hours, we try to go lower with the climbing equipment."

"If we dont find a solution, we form a shelter."

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:58 pm
by Snapper

Randy looked relieved. He was clearly doubtful that the whole party could safely get down the cliff using climbing equipment.

"Excellent. Let's get on with finding a way to hike down that won't involve death or spinal injuries."

OOC:   Can the party see a direction to take where they can at least start hiking down the mountain?  

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:10 am
by Philulhu
Ben made his roll earlier.

There are effectively two choices, upriver or downriver. Upriver leads towards the pumping station, which you think could be achieved in a couple of days at the outside, with having to find a way down to the river likely to extend your journey somewhat.

Downriver would take you back in the direction you came from but it’s probably a longer journey and the only thing Ben recalls seeing were a few snow huts. They may have some resources they could use, but then again they may not.

Either way, there;s no obvious way down to the river, so the party could be on this high ridge for some time.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
"I have a little climbing experience," says Ben, "but I'd be just as glad if we could find a better way down. If we follow the river upstream once we get down there, that will take us to the pumping station. We can probably get there in a couple of days, so we'll want to get down as fast as we safely can. In the other direction, I saw a few snow huts. However, they're even further away, and I don't even know if there's anything of use in them." He looks around for a safer way to descend.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:23 am
by Snapper

Randy nods. "I'm all for following the river upstream.
And we try to descend when we can."

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:46 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin shrugs his shoulders, seeing the direction that the group seems to be going. " Upstream is the better option at least we k ow roughly where we will end up. Downstream may be safer, but take too long and the possibility of snow huts isnt a certainty, 50-50 and thats being generou, i suggest we set off soon as to cover as much ground as possible. "

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
"Agreed," says Benjamin. "We just have to get down first."

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:00 am
by Philulhu
With no obvious safe way down to the river, the only option was to trek along the ledge until such an opportunity presented itself. It was hard going, with the snow a foot deep and soon everyone was perspiring with the effort.

CON checks, please.

CON (70) 1d100

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
Benjamin feels the chill, but he's made of very tough stuff.

CON roll (80% stat) walking along the snowy ledge:
d%
Spending 3 Luck to make that a success.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:30 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

Fail.  

Randy coughed and sputtered. "This is really not good for my asthma," he wheezed.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:21 am
by BoyBlunder78
  fail  

Gavin struggles through the thick snow, breathing hard, feeling the sweat freeze on his brow.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:33 am
by Lost_King

Con (45)

1d100

Success  
Harold slowly trudges through the thick snow. If he’s cold, it’s not possible to tell from his relaxed expression and methodical movements.

Why is there a d6 roll here?? I rolled that two weeks ago to test the feature and never attached the roll to any of my posts.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:11 am
by Philulhu
I had one too, although mine just sat in my dice roller for a couple of weeks. Not sure why, tbh, but it seems to have gone eventually.

I had to roll a spurious roll to see if it was still there so you can ignore this roll… 1d100

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:06 am
by Joajackson

The team leader was surprisingly resistant to the cold, strangely being apparently the one that resisted the cold the worst.

"If anyone has problems, dont stop themselves from saying so, everyone help each other as required."

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:52 am
by kabukiman
Boyd con: 45%

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:56 am
by kabukiman
For someone without much experience with the outdoors, Boyd is doing fine.
"So, the company had a missing base and now a missing plane. I bet my supervisor will be nervous. And it is not because he misses me" - he says as a joke.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:44 pm
by Joajackson

Amanda grumbled at the joke of Boyd, she really wasnt for that kind of interaction.

"A man is probably dead, his insurance is more expensive than the plane, and they will pay it with our salaries."

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:24 pm
by Philulhu
The lack of cover on the exposed ledge was telling and the cold wind whipped up ice particles that stung as they encountered any exposed flesh, just adding to the discomfort as they trudged through the snow. Even wearing mountain boots, each step chilled the feet, causing discomfort and the occasional stumble.

After two hours, the estimate was that they had barely covered two miles and some of the party were really starting to feel the effects of the cold. Frost gathered in fringes, eyebrows and facial hair. It was clear that getting off the ledge and to somewhere more sheltered was an imperative.

If you failed your CON roll (Gavin, Randy), you’re really feeling the cold, your teeth are chattering and you’re shivering. Your next roll is subject to a Penalty Dice.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
"We can't stay up here any longer," says Benjamin. "The longer we wait, the harder the climb will be."

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:01 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Is there any way the party can see to get below the tree line that didn't involve climbing equipment and probable spinal injuries? Or is the party struggling towards the tree line but just taking a long time to get there?  

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
It will be a long and arduous journey, but try another Navigate roll to see if there’s another way down.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:44 am
by Snapper

1d%10%

Definite Fail.  

Randy is really too busy coughing up a lung to be much guidance right now.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
"I think I found a way down," says Benjamin.

Navigate roll (35% skill) to find a way down:
d%

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
Exploring the edge again, Benjamin could see that there was another ice wall below, though not as high as the last one, being closer to 30 feet instead.

It was clear to anyone with any knowledge of the conditions that they faced, that Gavin and Randy’s situation was going to deteriorate unless they found shelter or dropped down to a lower level.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
"We need to get down there fast," says Benjamin. "Just not too fast."

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:07 pm
by kabukiman
"So, how do we do this? We use a rope or what?"- asks Boy without much enthusiasm.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:06 pm
by Lost_King
Harold analyzes the situation for a moment, then speaks up.

“I bet we could drive a piton into this ice and tie the rope to it. It would be slow going, but if we attach the equipment to the end of the rope, we can pull it back up after each person gets down. Not entirely sure how we’d get the rope down though, so I’ll go last. I’ve got an idea, but I can’t guarantee the safety of the person who does it.”

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
"Let's do it," says Benjamin.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:42 am
by Philulhu
Ok. Can whoever is hammering the pitons into the ice give me a Climbing roll?

Lost_King: Any comments about the suitably of this approach from your real-life climbing experience?

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:22 pm
by Snapper
OOC:   I believe the odds are still marginally in Randy's favour...  

Coughing terribly and shivering uncontrollably, Randy nonetheless steps in with the piton. "I did quite a lot of climbing in the Scouts. [COUGH!!]"

1d%L60%

1d10pLd

Actual result is I think a 100.

Believe that's a fumble as a result of the penalty die. Can Randy spend 5 Luck to make it not a fumble, just a solid fail?  

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:33 pm
by Joajackson

As group leader she should probably have been the one to go first, but she wasnt confident in her climbing so she didnt. Considering the state of Randy, Amanda was really prepared to start really hating this decision.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
That’s probably wise…

Anyone else like to have a go?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:19 am
by Snapper
  Luck spent!  

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

I only have 25% Climb. Some people have a better chance than I do.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:46 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Why not? Lucks gotta change sometime....  
  Not today though, that'll be a fail....94  

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:55 pm
by Philulhu
So far, no one had managed to hammer pitons into the ice to sufficiently inspire confidence…

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Benjamin doesn't have any better success.

Climb roll (25% skill) to hammer the pitons:
d%

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:07 pm
by Philulhu
Testing the rope, it was alarming to see the pitons spring out of the ice with barely an ounce of pressure applied. It seemed that this wasn’t going to be their way down.

Can I have another Navigate and CON roll from everyone, please?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
"There has to be a better way," says Benjamin.

Not everyone has tried yet.

Navigate roll (35% skill) to find a better way down:
d%
Spending 2 Luck to make that Navigate roll a success.
CON roll (80% stat) due to the cold:
d%

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:02 pm
by Philulhu
Happy to wait if anyone else wants to try.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:22 am
by Lost_King
“I guess I’ll give it a go.”

Climb 20%

1d100

Fail  
I’m not as familiar with mountain climbing as climbing wall climbing, so everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. I know that it’s way more dangerous than climbing on a dedicated climbing wall. However, I’m sure a solidly lodged piton would hold a person’s weight. Given the circumstances, this is the safest strategy I can think of for getting inexperienced climbers down the wall of ice, which has very few holds. The only concern I can think of is how well we can put the piton in the ice.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:52 am
by Snapper

1d%10%

Fail.  
1d%45%

Fail.  

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:08 am
by kabukiman
Boyd:
Climb: 25%

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:38 pm
by kabukiman
Boyd wasn't very sure, but he saw once in a tv show, how to do safe climbing. Carefuly, he tried to repeat what he remembered, and amazingly, it worked!

"Guys, I think I did it".

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:04 pm
by Lost_King
Harold has never done a bit of climbing in his life, but he looks over and smiles, happy to see that his plan might work out after all.

“Great! Now all we need to do is set up the rope, and we can start down. Who is going first?”

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
  Navigate & Con.....here we go..  
  Spending 2 luck to make tye Navigate a succes. So two successes!!!!  

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:46 pm
by Philulhu
Amazingly, given that Boyd had learned the how to place the pitons and tie the ropes by watching a TV show, it held fast when pressure was applied to it. Even two people pulling at once didn’t move it, so the rope was pronounced safe to use.

There was a moment’s (self) congratulation before discussion turned to who was to go down first. But before they could decide, an eerie scream could be heard in the distance…

Assuming that you’re climbing down, can I have a climb roll from everyone?

There’s no need to spend the luck for your navigate roll just yet. Originally, the plan was to continue along the ledge but with the successful climb roll, I’m going to retcon that bit, and you can now get down to the level of the river.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Benjamin doesn't go first, but when his turn comes he makes his way carefully down.

Climb roll (25% skill) climbing down to the ice wall:
d%

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:05 pm
by Joajackson

Amanda stayed last, to wait for everyone else to go down, before taking her turn.

"Be careful, we dont want anyone to die yet."

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:23 pm
by BoyBlunder78
At his turn Gavin gingerly makes his way to the edge.
  :shock: and plunges to an icy grave.....  

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
Amanda had no sooner finished speaking when Gavin levered himself over the edge, only to find that ice wall offered him very little in the way of purchase! He grabbed for the rope and missed, and felt himself suddenly plummeting down the ice face, completely out of control…

Ooh, that’s not good…

Can you give me a Jump roll (35%) to try to mitigate the damage?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:42 am
by Lost_King
I’m not sure whether Gavin was wearing the harness, but I’m assuming that he wasn’t, since he fell, which shouldn’t happen with the climbing equipment. If he was, that changes my plan significantly.

Harold looks over the edge with a deeply concerned look on his face. “Oh dear. He wasn’t wearing the harness, was he? That can’t be good.”

“I’m up next. I’ll tie the harness to the rope when I’m down, so you can pull it up and use it for the next person.”

Harold steps into the harness, tightens it around his waist, and hooks the sticht plate to the rope, attaching it to his harness with the carabiner. “I hope I’m doing this right. Wish me luck.”

climb 20%

1d100

Fail  

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:43 am
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin takes a sharp intake of icy cold air....
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  As he plummeted off the edge Gavin thought 'Maybe i should have grabbed the rope before i descended....'  

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:50 am
by Snapper

Shivering uncontrollably, desperate to get off the ice, and equally desperate to get down to the presumed patients below, Randy clambered into the harness with practised ease. With one last hacking, horrendous wheezing and coughing fit, he set off down the cliff.

1d%L60%

Extreme success!!  

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:13 am
by kabukiman
Boyd: climb 25%

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:55 pm
by Philulhu
Was that a second 100?

Edit: I can see that it was. Oh dear… 😬

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:01 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Yes.....Yes it was....... :D

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
Amanda’s climb roll (30%) 1d100

Please advise if you wish to spend two points of Luck to make that a success. A successful roll means that you won’t take any damage on the way down.

Gavin’s fall had shaken everyone. He’d been the first over the edge but whether it was the cold, delayed shock from the crash or something else, he’d somehow mis-tied the rope and had plummeted thirty feet to the floor, where he landed with a sickening crunch!

Randy had followed him down, successfully this time, but the others who came after him found the descent more difficult, all getting hurt as they came down.

For those who failed their climb rolls, you will take damage as you descend from bumping into the ice, banging against rocks outcropping from the ice wall, or scraping against the wall itself.

I can’t roll a 1d3 on the dice roller so please divide the following results by 2 and round up:

Ben - (1d3) - 1d6
Harald- (1d3) 1d6
Boyd - (1d3) 1d6
Amanda - (1d3)* 1d6

*Dependent upon your Luck spend.

With a double critical failure, he falls 30 feet. The damage taken is 1d6 per 10 feet drop and he has 12 HP so he could survive. Let’s see… 3d6

He survived! Albeit with a major wound. Please roll against Gavin’s CON to see if he remains conscious.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
  Well you were right....it was surviveable.....1 hp left :lol: .....gotta be some broken bones......  

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:04 am
by Joajackson
OOC:   I wont use luck, 1 HP isnt that bad. Also, 11damage is a critical wound, isnt it?  

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:10 am
by Philulhu
I reckon one broken ankle and one either dislocated or badly sprained, as well as multiple scratches and contusions.

Did you see my note about the CON roll. I may have added it after you read my post.

It is indeed a major wound.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:18 am
by BoyBlunder78
  Can i get three 100's.....

OOC:   Hard Success!!! Thecurse is lifted.....for now.  
Gavin screams in pain as he feels his ankle buckle and shatter as he smashes in to the icy ground. Miraculously remaining conscious.  

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Don't the rest of us get to roll Jump to land without taking damage?

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:54 am
by Snapper

Wide eyed, with injured people all around him, Randy took a careful 360° look about. At the same time, he almost seemed to be thinking out loud.

"Medical Rover Scout's first rule of first aid. Check for ongoing danger. What wants to kill us?"

"Second rule, work with a partner. Benjamin, you said you're ex-military. I assume you're fairly well trained in first aid?"

"And did everyone hear that scream earlier? Not Gavin, someone away from us."

OOC:   Is the current environment sort of safe enough to start first aid?

7th Ed allows for a second person to attempt first aid on the same patient at same time. If either first aider succeeds, job done and patient gets 1 HP back. Can Randy and Benjamin - or whoever assists - just make all the rolls for all the PCs in one big block?  

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:53 am
by Philulhu
Apologies, Mr Handy is correct. If you make a successful Jump roll you can avoid damage.

I’m not sure why I remembered it for Gavin and promptly forgot for everyone else… 😬

It appears safe for now, and yes, up to two people can attempt First Aid, with a success for either one resulting in the recovery of one whole hit point. For quickness, I don’t mind if one person makes both rolls but whoever has the best skills may feel their moment to shine has been taken away from them (conversely, they can point the finger of blame elsewhere, if someone else fails their roll…)

I don’t know if anyone has Medicine but a successful roll for that recovers 1d3 hp.

Snow covered the ground at the foot of the ice wall, stretching away in front of them to the frozen Stikine river, on the far side of which could be seen the Exxon pipeline.

Of more immediate concern was Gavin, who lay on his back, his legs splayed out in front of him on the icy ground. Even wearing heavy boots and waterproof clothes, it was clear that both ankles were in a bad way, particularly the left one, that had flopped at a 90 degree angle to his leg…

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:44 am
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:53 am
Apologies, Mr Handy is correct. If you make a successful Jump roll you can avoid damage.

I’m not sure why I remembered it for Gavin and promptly forgot for everyone else… 😬
  You were probaly just in awe at my amazing Wily Coyote descent homage....  

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:31 am
by Philulhu
It certainly was a distraction! 😏

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:18 pm
by kabukiman
"Ouch!"- says Boyd.
He looked at his ankle and was preparing to start complaining when he saw some of his companions in must worst shape.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavins cries lessened as the cold numbed the pain a little.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:42 pm
by Joajackson

The group leader had a somewhat dangerous way down the ice, with some pain that would follow her for at least some hours... But clearly the guy with a broken angle was really worse.

Booth, help Gavin, now! Whoever knows something about this help him out. The rest, start moving, lets find refuge before we all end frozen."

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
"It was part of my training," Benjamin says to Randy as he drags himself to his feet and assists him with Gavin, though clearly the medic will be taking the lead. "I heard the scream, but I don't know what it was. What wants to kill us? Well, the weather for one thing."

Jump roll (25% base skill) to avoid damage from falling:
d%
First Aid roll (45% skill) treating Gavin:
d%

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:07 am
by Lost_King
Harold, who isn’t the most athletic member of the team, slips and bumps into the wall a couple times as he descends. When he reaches solid ground, he messes up his landing, letting out a muffled grunt.

Jump 20%

1d100

Fail  
Harold takes 2 damage from the experience.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:31 am
by Snapper

"I'm sorry Ma'am, but on crew medic matters I can and in this case have to overrule you. I need everyone to stay here until I've finished treating them. Won't take long." Randy said this calmly but with determination.

With that, Randy opened up the first aid kit and attempted to aid Gavin.

1d%Fd60%

Critical!!! Gavin gets back at least 1HP.  

Randy next turned to his able assistant Benjamin to patch him up.

1d%Fd60%

Extreme Success. Benjamin gets back 1HP.  

Assuming Amanda wouldn't shoot him for mutiny (yet), Randy kept going with the rest of the crew.

1d%Fd60%

Fail.  

1d%Fd60%

Hard Success. 1HP back for Boyd.  

1d%Fd60%

Hard Success. 1HP back for Amanda.  

First Aid partner Benjamin could make a 2nd roll for Harold.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:28 am
by kabukiman
"Thank you, I'm feeling better"

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
"Thank you," Benjamin tells Randy. "I feel much better." Unfortunately, he isn't of much help in treating the others.

Nicely done!

First Aid roll (45% skill) treating Harold
d%

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:15 am
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin gingerly props himself up on his elbows, casting a glance down at his legs, seeing his foot lying at the unnatural angle, "Oh.....that aint good.." flops back down on the snow. " Fuuuuuuuuuck......" He says as he looks up to the sky.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:13 pm
by Snapper

Randy grins at Gavin. "My friend, you're alive and that's the main thing. Now you've survived a plane crash and falling off a cliff."

"Keep focusing on the ankle, in a way that's good because you're ignoring the rest. You probably have half a dozen more fractures across your body, internal bleeding, spinal bruising, and I suspect a concussion. Later, I'll see what else I can fix."

"What you need to focus on is that you survived this. Once we get you to a hospital, you'll be fine."

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin looks at Randy, eyes squinting Er.....thanks for the er.....pep talk....i think. What worries ne though is that these thjngs generally come in threes.....after these to hum dingers I cannot wait for the third!"

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
POW roll (60%) 1d100

Nothing to see here. Carry on…

I’ll go through the injuries and update hp tomorrow.

Randy, with Benjamin’s help, worked his way through the party, dressing wounds as best he could. In the first aid kit, he found an inflatable ‘boot’ which would help keep Gavin’s foot stable until he could get proper medical treatment. It also meant that Gavin could move around, although he’d need some sort of crutch and a plentiful supply of painkillers to be able to do so effectively.

Although there was some limited shelter at the base of the ice cliff, the mere presence of the ice in such a quantity was sufficient to create a chilling effect on the party as Gavin’s broken ankle was treated. A time check revealed it was approaching 1.00pm. Approximately five hours of daylight remained and the temperature was dropping, and it was going to be slow progress with a man with a broken ankle.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
"We might be able to build a makeshift sledge out of wood from the trees," says Benjamin. "With that, we could pull Gavin faster than he can walk."

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:34 am
by BoyBlunder78
How far away from the plane wreckage are we?

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:14 am
by Philulhu
Can I have a Navigate roll?

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:36 am
by Snapper

1d%10%

Fail.  
Randy looked at the new environment and considered the party's best survival options again.

1d%L()45%

Extreme Success!  

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:19 pm
by Joajackson

"Lets try to build sledge for Gavin, try moving as quickly as you can, we dont have a lot of time. And I dont think Gavin will survive a freezing."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:12 am
by Philulhu
Anyone can attempt a Navigate roll for more information about where they are in relation to the plane.

Amanda’s navigate roll (30%) 1d100

Edit: Amanda doesn’t know how far back to the plane it is.

Randy knows that their risk of exposure is extremely high. They have tents (2x4 person) but don’t seem to have any stoves or easy means of starting a fire so hot food/drinks are going to be an issue. Those who had served in the military would probably bitch and moan about it, but will take it in their stride. The civilians are a different matter - they’ve not used to roughing it and it could create a morale issue.

A sledge/stretcher will make it easier to transport Gavin. He’s mobile but slow and it will tire out the group having to pull him along. Spot hidden to see if you can see anything that might help in that regard.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:46 am
by BoyBlunder78
Do i still have penalty die? Or how many do i have?

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Benjamin has a good idea where the plane's wreckage is.

Navigate roll (35% skill) to locate the plane:
d%

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd50%

Fail.  

Randy looked about for few moments, trying to find a potential stretcher but his brain was fried from providing more real world first aid for one incident than ever before in his young life. The cold wasn't helping either. He tried to gather his wits.

"OK, we got two tents and that's good. Enough to keep all of us alive. The bad news is we got no stove so nothing warm to eat or drink, unless we can by some miracle start a fire."

"Me, and I expect Benjamin and Gavin, we've all had cold nights eating cold food. I don't know if any of the rest of you have served in the military, had similar experiences?"
He looked questioningly at Harold. "It's pretty miserable. It's hard to feel cheery."

"Right now, we need a stretcher for Gavin. Anyone see anything that might work?"

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:59 am
by Philulhu
Re: Penalty dice.

Gavin’s going to have a penalty die for anything relating to movement until his ankle can be put in a hard cast or until it heals naturally (4-6 weeks). The moon boot (inflatable cast) helps to keep the ankle stable but he couldn’t put any weight on it so movement is also halved.

Some sort of crutches will be required for him to get around until his own steam. Without those he will have to hop (generally not recommended on an icy surface) but that would jar his broken ankle (also not recommended) which could have additional complications.

So, climbing, running, fighting, etc. = penalty dice. Computer use, psychology = no penalty dice.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:59 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Lying on his back Gavin turns his head scanning his surroundings....
  Success!  
  Bugger, penalty die for navigate?  

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:20 pm
by Philulhu
No movement (other than head-turning), so no penalty.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:27 pm
by Philulhu
For this who made their navigate roll, you’d be aware of the following…

The plane - having studied how the ledge and the river correspond to each other, you reckon it would be a 90 minute walk* back to the plane, which lies in the opposite direction to the pumping station. It is more sheltered so the snow isn’t as deep but it’s still a trek.

The pipeline - the easiest way to find the pumping station is to follow the pipeline, which sits high about the ground on concrete pillars.

*Not you, Gavin 😕

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
"The plane's in the opposite direction to the pumping station," says Benjamin, pointing. "It would take about an hour and a half to walk there, though with Gavin we'd be slower. There's less snow that way because the mountain kept much of it off, but it's still a hike. If we want to head right for the pumping station, all we have to do is follow the pipeline there." He points again.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:50 am
by BoyBlunder78
Sighing in frustration at his own situation, at the hindrance he knows he has become Gavin says half heartedly, "Could always split up, half of us fo to the plane the rest to the station?"

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:55 am
by Lost_King
IMG_2891.jpeg
“I don’t mind much which direction we go, though I don’t fancy the idea of being left out in the wilderness tonight. I think I remember hearing some wild animal. Then again, I hit my head on the way down the ice, so I could be imagining it.

On an unrelated note, could we try to carry Gavin? We could trade off either in pairs or individually (giving him a piggyback ride). Not comfortable, by any means, but would it work? Climbing would obviously be off limits, but that’s not any different from the current situation. I figure we’ve got less gear with us than we were planning on having anyways, so the extra weight shouldn’t be too much of a burden.

Harold glances over at Gavin apologetically. “Not that I think you’re a burden, Gavin. I’m glad you’re here and still mostly intact.”

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
"I'm certainly strong enough to carry him," says Benjamin, "but a sledge would be more efficient if we could make one. Splitting up doesn't sound like a good idea. Gavin's our guide, and whichever group he isn't with would have problems. The plane might be good for shelter, plus we could salvage more from the wreckage, but it takes us out of the way."

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:52 am
by Snapper

"What if I put up one tent now, then try to properly patch up Gavin inside it, while it's still relatively sterile?"

"Meanwhile, some or the rest of you find the plane, salvage what you can then come back. I could also put up the second tent before dark if you're late getting back.

OOC:   Does the pipeline itself provide some shelter directly below it? It sounds like it is supported some distance above the ground.

If it did provide some shelter, could a tent be built underneath it?  

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:54 pm
by Philulhu
The pipeline comprises fifty-foot long sections of four-foot diameter pipe. The H-shaped supports at each joint are roughly eight-foot tall, and are designed to keep the pipeline at least five-feet above the ground. The pipeline would offer some additional shelter, if a tent/shelter were set up on its leeward side.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
"I think we need a command decision here," says Benjamin, looking to Amanda.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" i agree, the sooner this gets decided Chewie here can get me moved,camp set up and i can start
to feel like i can actually contribute something!"
Gavin says through laboured breaths.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:45 am
by Joajackson

Amanda had no idea what to do, this really was too much for her.

"Okey. We split up, a group to the plane, and another to shelter down and make a sledge for Gavin. Randolph, Gavin and I stay, the rest check the plane."

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:24 pm
by Philulhu
So Ben, Boyd and Harold are heading back to the plane. Just checking everyone’s ok with that before setting up their thread?

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

That's okay with me.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
That's fine with me 👍

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:58 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
All good!

Randy makes sure he has both tents and the advanced first aid kit.

"Before we split up, can a few people help me to move Gavin? I'm thinking the pipeline might offer a tiny bit of shelter. Anything's better than nothing."

OOC:   Would the party need to cross the river to get to the shelter of the pipeline? And is the river frozen and cross-able?  

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:16 am
by Lost_King
I’m fine with splitting up

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
"Sure, I can help you carry him over there before I head out," says Benjamin.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:27 am
by Philulhu
Go here for your journey back to the plane: Plane Sailing.

The ice that covered the river had creaked as they made their way across but it had held firm so they were able to make their way to the pipeline and set up camp. The prevailing wind had piled snow against the foot of one of the support pylons, giving a modicum of shelter on the other side, and it was here that they erected one of the tents, the canvas pulled taut by the wind that whistled down the river valley.

As Amanda, Gavin and Randy put the finishing touches to their camp, the others trudged off to find what remained of the plane.

Anything you’re doing while you wait for the others to return?

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:47 am
by BoyBlunder78
Nothing much I can do but look at the sky. Gavin props himself up, checking out their new surroundings. Does he notice anything out of the ordinary?

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:59 am
by Philulhu
That would call for a Spot Hidden roll.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:21 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Wasn't sure if it was Spot Hidden or Natural World. Worth spending the luck to make it a hard success?

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:38 pm
by Philulhu
No, regular success is fine. PM incoming.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:06 am
by Snapper

Randy is very careful to make sure no one and nothing gets into the tent before he's ready to start the Gavin repair job.

"We'll try to keep this as sterile as we can until I'm finished patching up our buddy here."

He looks over at Amanda. "Boss, I'm afraid you'll have to pull bear guarding duty. I'll be busy for probably the next hour."

Finally, Randy looks over at the plane wreck exploitation team. "If anyone sees my cassette tapes, I'd be very grateful."

(Unless something Gavin sees demand urgent attention...)

With that, Randy will carefully assist Gavin into the tent, trying hard to keep the dirt out. Then he follows in himself with the advanced first aid kit and gets to work patching, straightening, and stitching.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:30 am
by BoyBlunder78
'What the...?! Gavin blurts out, pushing himself upright from the pillar, raising his hand to his eyes, saying to anyone who can hear. "I hope the other guys hurry back, because i don't know id I'm arill in ahock or this weather is playing tricks with ma eyes, because if i didnt know any better i could've sworn i just saw a polar bear.....which i know is kinda impossible...especially one walking on its hind legs.....sure could do with a slig of whiskey....or anything..."

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:00 pm
by Snapper

"First whisky I find, it's yours. But if you're seeing polar bears, not browns or blacks, maybe you hit that head a bit harder than you think. Alcohol may not help in that case. Anyway, let the sewing up begin."

"Boss, we'll leave the bear watch to you."

Randy assists Gavin into the tent, careful to keep the dirt and grime out. He has the advanced first aid kit ready to go.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:34 pm
by Philulhu
As Gavin’s already had first aid, I’m not planning to give back any more hp. It will eliminate any potential infection or complications, however.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"I'll hold ya to that, and none of that cheap gut rot either!" Gavin says smiling. "Could've sworn i saw something though, maybe staff from the pumping station in snow gear?"

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:11 am
by Snapper
There is a separate Medicine skill in 7th Ed that reads like it can be used after First Aid has been used. Takes an hour etc. But if you rule that it's not applicable here, all good.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:40 am
by Philulhu
Ok. What do you expect to achieve with it? As the ankle is broken, the only real fix is a cast.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:28 pm
by Snapper
I had perhaps wrongly assumed that the 11 HP that Gavin lost represented various bits of damage to his whole body, sprains, fractures, open wounds, internal bleeding, probably concussion, the works. So the Medicine roll would have been to pressure bandage the sprains, immobilise the other fractures where possible, sew up the bleedy bits etc.

However, if the whole of the damage is in fact focused on the ankle, there won't be much more that Randy can do, as you say. People die from bad leg breaks, especially when blood loss occurs. All good! :D

(And given Randy's not so great Medicine skill, there's a good chance he wouldn't succeed anyway.)

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:14 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin is fine with what anyone wants to do. He'd try anything to at least be upright[ so he feels his less of a hindrance to the group. :D /Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:14 pm
by Philulhu
Righty ho. Gavin will have taken other damage as a result of his descent sans rope, so Medicine could be used to treat that. I was under the impression you were going to reset his ankle (which you don’t have the equipment for) so that’s why I wanted to check what you hoped to achieve.

I’ll allow the Medicine roll but Gavin won’t recover any further hp beyond that until his ankle’s set and he can rest up. As you have tents, you have cover from the elements but you have no heating, beds, etc. so not ideal conditions for recovery.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:34 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
👍

1d%d40%

Nope. Fail. :(  

Randy did his best to clean, bandage, sew up etc, but there was a limit to his Scout and Medic training, and it turned out Gavin was past that limit.

"Sorry, Gavin, you will need treatment in hospital sooner or later."

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Letting out a resigned sigh, Gavin says " Cheers for trying pal, much appreciated the effort. Ya owe me a whole bottle of whiskey now..."

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:08 am
by Joajackson

Amanda did the bear guard duty.
OOC:   Sorry for not answering for a while, have been out traveling between continents  

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:02 am
by Snapper
Joajackson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:08 am
OOC:   Sorry for not answering for a while, have been out traveling between continents  
OOC:   All good!  

Somewhat frustrated with his inability to do more to help Gavin, Randy erected the second tent in a sheltered spot.

Is there anything remotely flammable about that's not covered in snow and ice?

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:18 pm
by Philulhu
You can try a spot hidden.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:03 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd50%

Success.  

Randy scanned the area, thinking this was going to be a miserable night if they couldn't start a fire.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:29 am
by Philulhu
Poking around, Randy found a handful of felled trees, obscured by the fall of snow. They’d been there for some time as the branches on the underside were mostly dry & brittle, probably cut down to make way for the pipeline.

There’s enough wood to keep a fire going for a few hours, at least.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:16 pm
by Snapper

Randy diligently set about collecting dry branches and then building a fire somewhere on dry enough ground and not too close to the tents. Safety first!

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:56 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Good going, bit of warmth and light, might even keep some of the local wildlife at bay." Gavin nods approvingly.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:26 pm
by Philulhu
Having scraped an area clear of snow by the base of one of the pylons, Randy was able to get a fire going. The heat reflected from the concrete base, bringing a little relief from the cold.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:45 am
by Snapper

Randy looked over at Amanda. "OK Boss, come and warm yourself up. I've done everything I can think of for now to prepare for the night, so I'll join you in watching for wild animals."

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Looking into the wilderness Gavin says "Wonder how are scavengers are doing?"

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:19 am
by Philulhu
In the distance, a single gunshot rang out… …

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:05 pm
by Snapper

Randy looked in whatever direction he thought (or guessed) the shot came from. "Not well, by the sounds of it. That cannot be a good sign, unless they've just bagged dinner." Despite his best efforts, Randy did not sound optimistic.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Looking into the distance Gavin says "Best case is that was a warning shot and scared whatever it was away. So boss" He said turning towards Amanda "How long before we go look for them?"

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:03 am
by Philulhu
The single shot wasn’t repeated, leaving the three people to consider whether that was a good thing or not.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:03 am
by Snapper

"Well, full marks for not wasting our limited supply of bullets.
I'm going to hope that was either dinner or a warning shot. If it was a warning shot, I'm not sure for what. Wolves maybe?"

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:46 am
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin nods, "That would be a good shout, a pack maybe drew out by the crash."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:35 am
by Philulhu
Can I have a survival roll, please?

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Fingers crossed....Hatd success!.  

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:14 am
by Philulhu
It occurred to Gavin that if the shot they heard had been a warning shot, which way would the wolves be moving? Could it be they were heading in their direction?

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Oh shit!! Guys , we should keep the fire burning bright. I've a horrible feeling that maybe...just maybe if that was our guys scaring off a pack of wolves.....that well er....there's a chance those mutts could be heading here..." Gavin says, head in his hands.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:33 am
by Snapper

Randy's eyes widened. "Good point.". He found a nice branch and stuck one end into the fire to start burning. If wolves appeared, he'd wave it about to hopefully scare them away. Randy also stoked up the fire a bit to make a nice, cheery flame.

And he patted the automatic in his jacket pocket, double-checking it was still there. That was his back up plan.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:43 pm
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:18 pm Looking into the distance Gavin says "Best case is that was a warning shot and scared whatever it was away. So boss" He said turning towards Amanda "How long before we go look for them?"

Amanda... Was cautious, a single shot must be an accident, or a warning shot for am animal, nothing else could realistically be the cause. And there were three of them there, so if anyone was wounded, they could probably take care of each other.

"If for some reason they dont return for tomorrow, we will search for them. Until then, its not reasonable to move Gavin more."

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:31 am
by Philulhu
Ninety minutes had passed since they had heard the gunshot and the wind had picked up considerably, causing the tents to flutter and snap like flags in a stiff breeze. The skies had darkened and the flames from their small fire flickered alarmingly, creating a surreal shadow display on the concrete pylon the supported the pipeline over their heads.

As the light was about to fail completely, three snow-shrouded figures emerged from the gloom of the riverbed. Ben, Boyd and Harold had returned.

I’m assuming that Amanda and Randy have spent at least some time outside as you’re unlikely to have taken shelter in the tents if you were concerned about wolves being around, so can I have CON checks, please?

Amanda - CON (70) 1d100
(Passed roll - no negative effects).

Gavin - I assume you stayed in the tent?

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:44 am
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin, thought about crawling about the snow....but decided against it...he wasnt about to give any wolves an easy meal. He just sat in the tent...axe in his hand...waiting...

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:55 pm
by Snapper

1d%45%

Yet another CON fail by Randy.  
Randy stayed out of the tents, anxiously keeping the fire burning and watching out for team mates or carnivorous mammals. Unfortunately, his asthma started playing up again, causing wracking coughing and wheezing, all of which contributed to a rapid loss of body temperature (again).

"You're b-b-b-back! By the time the other three returned, Randy could hardly speak for chattering teeth and shivering.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
Benjamin also barely shakes off the cold before it gets to him. "There was a pack of wolves at the plane, but a single shot scared them off," he says, holding out the M-16 he retrieved to Amanda. "Here you go, ma'am. And I brought back a first aid kit for you, Randy. I also found a canteen." When he has a spare moment, he tops off his magazine with a couple of bullets, one to replace the round he fired and another to replace the one that was automatically moved to the chamber after that.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:31 am
by Joajackson

"Thanks Benjamín. Now, you all seem to be frozen up, and this cold is shit. Lets cover all up, tomorrow we really need to move all we can."

She wasnt sure for what the gun was going to help, I mean, there were enough guns already, but it wasnt the worst.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:18 am
by Snapper

Starting to get distinctly hypothermic, Randy staggered into the tent Gavin was in, and promptly collapsed, exhausted.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:56 pm
by Lost_King
Harold arrives shivering intensely, holding Amanda’s 1911 .45 and a survival kit. He goes to Amanda and offers her the gun.

I found your pistol and the bullet box for it. I know you already have a gun, so you can take it unless you would prefer for me or someone else to have it. I’m not sure how useful it will be, but I figure we could use it to scare off more wolves if needed, so we don’t waste ammo from the more powerful guns.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:49 pm
by Joajackson

Between less and more shooting power, Amanda decided to keep the bigger gun. There wasnt really going to be many situations in which the firepower was needed, but she was probably better being safe than sorry.

"Keep it, no value in me hoarding the guns."

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:59 pm
by Philulhu
Is everyone turning in for the night? Are we ready to move on?

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:21 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Hey, if everyone's handing out guns, ill take the pistol. Make me feel a lil less useless. " Gavin calls out from the tent.
Im good with moving on.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:34 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
All good to move on.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm ready to move on, but I didn't realize that we already had tents, or I wouldn't have suggested that we bring back a couple of them.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:51 am
by Snapper
Yep, we had 2 tents already, sufficient for the whole team. Also, an advanced first aid kit.

Some food would have not gone astray though. Or Randy's Walkman cassette tapes.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:51 am
by Philulhu
You could use the poles from the spare tent to fashion something drag Gavin behind you. No one mentioned that when you were at the plane, I don’t think…?

(I’m happy to retcon that bit, otherwise you’ll be out here even longer! 😉)

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:24 pm
by Snapper
Yeah yeah! In the morning, let's make a stretcher out of the spare tents for Gavin. That solves a big problem.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:13 pm
by Lost_King
Harold walks into the tent and hands Gavin the pistol and the bullet box (100 spare bullets), his posture visibly changing as he does so. He drops his shoulders (which had been a little tensed) and looks more relaxed, as if carrying the gun had been stressing him out. Though he’s still shivering, it seems like he’s slightly less bothered by the cold.

I’m good with moving on as well

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:54 am
by Philulhu
As the last of the daylight evaporated, the temperature plummeted. Even by the fire, there was insufficient heat to keep warm and with the fire also the only source of light, there was barely enough illumination to see each other, so it made sense to turn in.

The tents were big enough for three people at a squeeze and Amanda had some reservations about having to share with two of the men but soon realised that she would in all likelihood freeze on her own so reluctantly agreed to share. Everyone slept fully clothed; it was too cold to think of doing anything otherwise.

A fitful sleep brought on by exhaustion caused by the events of the day eventually claimed everyone and the camp quietened down, with only the glowing embers in the fire giving away their position in the darkness.

Can I have a CON check from everyone (any untaken penalty die acquired from failing a previous CON roll should be applied).

CON (70) 1d100

She remains fast asleep.

If you fail your roll, your sleep is disturbed. Please read the spoilered text below.

The wind that had been blowing steadily seemed to have died away and there was a sudden stillness in the air. That wasn’t the most surprising thing, though. More surprising was that the tent canvas appeared to be stained crimson, as if someone was illuminating the area of the camp with bright red floodlights…

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Benjamin manages to sleep through the night uneventfully.

CON roll (80% stat) during the night:
d%

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:13 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

1d10pLd

Fail.  

Randy did not have a great night's sleep.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:58 am
by kabukiman
Boyd con. 45%

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:59 am
by kabukiman
And Boyd sleeps like a baby.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:39 pm
by Lost_King
Con: 45%

1d100
Penalty Dice

1d10

fail  
Harold’s sleep is greatly interrupted by the freezing cold.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin nods appreciatively at the pistol and ammo, checking the pistol over before attempting to get comfy and get some rest.
OOC:   Couldn't remember of I had a penalty dice or not... :oops:  

Wether it was the weather condition or the fact that his body was wracked with pain due to every bone in his body being cracked and smashed to what feels like a fine powder. He did not sleep well....the red glow wasn't helping......

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:24 pm
by Snapper

"Was I hallucinating last night or was someone shining a red flashlight on our tents?"

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:26 am
by Lost_King
”I saw it too; I was far to cold to sleep soundly. It seemed like a natural color rather than a man made one though. More like the color you get when you shine a light through your hand than the shade of red you get from the RGB lights in a computer screen. Then again, I only saw it coming through the tents, which would have altered the hue slightly. Did anyone go outside the tents last night? I’m curious where it could have come from.”

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:46 am
by Joajackson

"What? Check if you have a fever, we cant be dealing with allucinations to survive this."

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
"If anything happened last night, I slept through it," says Benjamin. "Could there be a search party around here looking for us? We're not far from where the plane went down."

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:20 am
by Lost_King
Harold looks concerned for a moment, then puzzled. He stands there frowning, and speaks almost as if to himself.

“I don’t feel like I’m developing a fever. Besides, there’s no way two people hallucinated the same thing at the same time, right?

I sure hope it was a search party. Still, they missed us somehow, and I can’t imagine that we can afford to stay out here in the open. If we’re going to survive another night like that one, we’ll need substantially better shelter.”

Harold turns to Amanda, looking to her for direction. All the experiences of his life haven’t prepared him for anything like the situation he now finds himself in.

“Shall we pack up and keep going? I’d like to feel like we’re making progress again. I know we’re going forwards, but it feels like we’re making backwards progress.”

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:10 am
by Snapper

Teeth chattering, Randy busied himself striking the tents. "I don't think there is any point in me attempting to take my temperature right now. I'm pretty confident it's at the shallow end of hypothermic."

"You guys find any food last night?"

"And maybe someone could turn those two extra tents into a sort-of drag stretcher for Gavin?"

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"I saw them lights too, between my ankle and those pesky lights i hardly slept a wink! Let's get packed up and on our way to the station so we can get sorted and outta this heck hole so i can get patched up and forget about this sorry misson!" Gavin grumbled.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:24 pm
by Joajackson

"Lets start moving, two stay here and try to make a stretcher for Gavin, the rest, we leave and move, better to scout ahead quicker."

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:04 pm
by Philulhu
Who’s scouting ahead?

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
"I'll scout ahead," says Benjamin. "With Gavin out of action, I'm probably the best suited to lead the way. We'll just follow the pipeline toward the pumping station."

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:28 am
by kabukiman
Boyd isn't interested to do the hard job of transporting a injured companion, so he volunteers to go.

"I'l go too, I feel fine for now."

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:41 am
by Snapper

"I'd prefer to stay near Gavin to keep an eye on his condition.
Harold is our engineer, I think. Perhaps Harold could be put in charge of creating the stretcher?"

"Also, I'd like to have my M16 back, please, seeing as we have a few more firearms now. In case the wolves show up while you're all gone."

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:07 pm
by Philulhu
Please go here: Scouting Party

Wednesday, 29 October 1986, 08:45hrs.
Stikine River Valley, Kitimat-Stikine Regional District, British Columbia

The morning had dawned clear but cold, and Benjamin and Boyd set off to scout ahead, leaving everyone else to break camp and sort out some kind of sledge/stretcher for Gavin.

Creation of the sledge/stretcher sounds like the sort of thing you might need a successful Survival or a DEX check to fashion.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:11 am
by Snapper
I assume Randy has a penalty dice for any roll because he failed his CON roll?

Might be better for Amanda or another team member to try this than Randy.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:02 pm
by Joajackson
OOC:   Amanda should do it, 70 dex Is pretty good  

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:07 pm
by Lost_King
Harold has 50 DEX, so I’m in favor of Amanda trying first.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 am
by Philulhu
Typically, the men are standing around and letting the woman do all the work…

DEX (70) 1d100

Extreme success! She’s nailed it! With the pieces brought back from the plane, Amanda’s fashioned a sledge with two metal runners that will enable Gavin to be moved much more easily.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:52 am
by BoyBlunder78
Giving the makeshift sledge/stretcher an appraising look, Gavin nods approvingly. "Well my dear, thats an great effort. Shows why your da boss."

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:36 pm
by Joajackson

"This week Is being very weird... I didnt expect that my sledge crafting abilities would become relevant..."

Said Amanda confused about why this ridicolous situations was happening to her.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:03 am
by Lost_King
Harold looks at the sledge with an expression of mild surprise.

“That’s impressive. It would have taken me all day - or longer - to come up with something that good, especially using just a tent. If you ever have a mid-life crisis and end up switching jobs, you should consider engineering.”

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:50 am
by Snapper

Randy nodded approvingly. "Good work Boss! On you get, Gavin, let's catch up up the others. I guess we rotate through two of us pulling and one having a breather?"

Randy slung the M16 and a packed tent, and got ready to start pulling the stretcher.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:36 am
by Philulhu
Quickly breaking down their camp, and with harnesses made from seatbelts recovered from the wreck of the plane, they set off with Harold and Randy pulling the sled upon which Gavin was ensconced. Initially they made good time, though soon after the weather came in, the sky darkening before a blizzard swept through the valley, reducing visibility to mere metres at best!

How are you navigating your way to the pumping station?

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:09 pm
by Lost_King
That depends. How close are we to the pipeline? Also, how deep is the snow on the ground? I’m assuming it’s deep enough to leave marks, however temporary they may be given weather conditions.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:35 pm
by Philulhu
As long as you’re close to the pipeline, then you should be able to follow that.

As things stand, you can see the footprints left by those who have gone ahead.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:49 pm
by Snapper
Stay close to the pipeline, is Randy's vote. Safest option and offers bit of protection if the team are camping out a second night.

Hopefully, the scouting team won't decide to do something different.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
Lying back on the sledge, occasionally glancing at the pipeline let's out a sigh. " Mush my good men, mush! Can't wait to get outta this snow. Anyone see anything that could've caused thise red light we spotted last night? Well welucky few who did anyway?" Gavin asks.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:13 pm
by Philulhu
Even with the pipeline as a guide, the going was tough as visibility was reduced by the driving snow. Whilst the sled was doing its job in making it easier to move Gavin, it was still a struggle to keep it going forward, in the direction required…

Can I have CON checks, please.

Amanda’s (70) 1d100

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:48 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin props himself up to get a better view of his surroundings.
OOC:   I'll spend 4 luck to make it a success.  

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:39 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

Fail.  
Randy's breathing soon enough reverted to form, and he started wheezing and coughing again.

Oh for goodness sakes, Randy, pull yourself together!

If he weren't useful with bandaids and stitching wounds, the party would probably have elected to eat Randy for sustenance by now. Custom of the Sea and all that.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:47 am
by Philulhu
Once he’s outlived his usefulness, the expedition diary will read, ‘Randy went out for a walk. He may be some time…’ :lol:

The party found it hard going, walking into the teeth of the blizzard, the snow stinging any exposed flesh. The ferocity of the blizzard was such that it was difficult even to follow the pipeline, especially for those pulling Gavin’s sled as the effort naturally tended to make them walk with their heads down…

Can I have a navigation check, please?

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:46 am
by Snapper
*LAUGH*

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:11 am
by Lost_King
Con 45%

1d100

Success!  
Despite the harsh conditions, Harold seems to be doing alright for once.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:43 am
by BoyBlunder78

Lying on the sledge all Gavin sees is.....White
....everywhere..
  Possibly the worst wilderness guide. The company must have been cutting costs when they hired him...  

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:52 pm
by Snapper

1d%10%

1d10pL

Fail.  

Randy, wheezing and coughing, tried to yell over the blizzard.
"Stop stop stop!! If we can't see the pipeline or river, we need to stop before we get more lost!! We need to hunker down until the blizzard passes!!"

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:10 pm
by Joajackson

"¡Hunker down!¡We continue in 2 hours, blizzard or not!"

The leader had to take a decision as almost everyone else on the group seemed unable to continue in any capable way.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:01 pm
by Lost_King
Before doing anything else, Harold makes a large mark in the snow with his feet, pointing the direction that they were headed.

“There. Now we won’t get completely lost if we get turned around.”

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:12 am
by Philulhu
Any confidence that the party may have taken from Harold’s arrow soon dissapated as the snow rapidly started to blur the outline… …

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:31 am
by Snapper
OOC:   I think Amanda and Harold can also make Navigate checks.  

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:48 am
by Philulhu
Anyone in the party is welcome to try. If you don’t have the skill listed in your bio, just use the one from the base skills.

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:08 pm
by Lost_King
Navigate 10%

1d100

Fail  
Harold can hardly see the ground in front of him.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
Navigate (30%) 1d100

Fortunately, Amanda knows the way. I’ll let you write that one up 🙂

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:05 am
by Joajackson

Amanda was being too good, unusually good, and she was starting to feel insecure with her seemingly almost perfectly continous success, but she really needed to help their group. She took a piece of cloth and made a good knot arround a tree, pointing in the direction they had been going

"¡Just remember that we go in the direction of the knot, its not that difficult!"

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:55 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking at Amanda, nodding with approval, Gavin looks to Randy and calls out. "Mush!!"

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:59 am
by Philulhu
With Amanda keeping them on track, they were able to make good progress, despite the driving snow that was propelled towards them by the wind. Visibility was virtually zero at times, but then, as the wind temporarily dropped, they saw the twin figures of Benjamin and Boyd trudging back towards them…

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:26 am
by kabukiman
"Good to see you!. Hum, guys, we may have a problem here."- He says a bit embarassed and looks at Benjamin,

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
"We found the pilot," says Benjamin. "He was torn open and hung up by his entrails. At first I thought a man had done it, but the wounds look like the work of a bear. We all have to stick together from now on with a bear nearby. That's why we came back. We were worried it would come after you."

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:22 am
by Snapper

Between spluttering, wheezing, and shivering uncontrollably, Randy both nodded and shook his head, more or less at the same time.

"Very glad you're both back safe. And that's terrible news about the poor pilot. Poor man. Hopefully, he was long dead from the crash and far beyond caring."

"But that doesn't sound like the work of a bear. I'm no expert but I thought they just ate stuff, or people. They weren't much into hanging up their stored food. Not to mention the no opposable thumbs."

"Hung up by his... ? Ugh!! Sounds more like the work of a human being. Crazy one. Gavin, you're our expert on all things bear, what do you think?"

1d%LLddFL10%

Fail.  

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:55 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Hard Success!  

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:50 am
by Philulhu
Whilst you’ve known bears to stash food, you’ve not heard of one hanging food up that way. It sounds more like the behaviour of big cats, who drag their prey up into trees so as to stop other predators stealing it.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
"I thought so too, at first," says Benjamin, "until I looked at the wounds. But it still could have been a man who hung him up, even if it was a bear that made the wounds. Or it could be that the beast is smarter than the average bear."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:02 am
by Philulhu

No longer satisfied with the contents of pic-a-nic baskets, Yogi’s gone rogue… …

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:18 am
by Snapper
*LAUGH*

Boo Boo, they're soft and squishy and pink on the inside, like marshmallow!

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:06 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Not usual bear activity. Although they have been known to stash food away they havent been known to string their grub up. You would see that sort of behaviour from big cats, they drag their food up high, like in trees to avoid sharing it with other predators This is definetly smarter than your average bear. Gavin states after listening to the others. " i dont know pf any big cats in this area and another thing, you found the pilot a fair distance from the crash site? A fair distance to drag a body."

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
"Yes, and the plane's in the opposite direction," says Benjamin. "There were wolves prowling around there when we saw it, but they weren't always there. The bear might have gotten there first."

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:11 am
by Snapper

"Well, inventive bear or human psycho, I for one vote we stay together now and get moving again. I'd really like to warm up a bit." Randy looked out into the snowy landscape nervously.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:11 pm
by Philulhu
So, what’s your plan? Heading for the pumping station/ Hanging and waiting for a rescue? Something else?

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:52 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Well whatever is responsible for this, be it man or beast, we need to get to a proper shelter. How much further to the station?: Gavin asks.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
"It's still more than a day's travel to the station, but that's where we have to go," says Benjamin. "I agree that we need to all stick together from now on. That's why we came back. We can bury the pilot once we get back to him. We'll just follow the pipeline."

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:49 am
by Snapper

"Follow the pipeline, let's do it. And I guess we'll have to make a decision as it gets towards dark. But I don't know if we have any flashlights and nighttime seems a really easy time to get lost out here and then die of exposure."

Clearly suffering as he was, Randy was anxious to get going ASAP.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:55 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Right, so we make a go till nightfall? Then rack open the tents? We should have a quick eqiupment check of torches, flares and the like. We'll have to stand watch when we can in case our furry friend follows." suggests Gavin

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
"Agreed," says Benjamin. "Let's keep moving and not waste any daylight. There isn't a whole lot of it this far north at this time of year."

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:03 am
by Philulhu
The decision made to carry on, the group set off again. With more people to take turns pulling Gavin’s sled, they made better progress, despite the blizzard that still buffeted them, driving cold snow into any chink in their cold-weather armour, where it quickly turned into an icy rivulet that sneaked its way downwards, causing a shiver when it passed.

Can I have a spot hidden check, please?

Can I have a hard spot hidden check, please?

Hard spot hidden (20%) 1d100

Edit: failed.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:50 am
by BoyBlunder78
  Aint holding my beath......Ouch.....  
Gavin may aswell have is eyes closed, lying back on his sleigh staring upto in the grey sky.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
Benjamin can't see much through the blowing snow. He has his M16 ready, just in case the bear or whatever decides to appear.

Spot Hidden roll (30% skill) following the pipeline:
d%

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:10 pm
by Joajackson

The group leader was too distracted considering the dead pilot, and the concept of him being hung up a tree, that sounded like something a mythology monster would do, or a werewolf.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:40 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd50%

1d10pLd

Hard Success without Penalty dice.

But if the Penalty Dice is required, regular success only.  

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:29 am
by kabukiman
Boyd. Spott hidden 30%

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:30 am
by kabukiman
Now that he is with the others, Boyd is distracted trusting that someone will be vigilant.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:14 pm
by Lost_King
Spot Hidden 30% (Hard 15%)

1d100
I’ll spend 2 luck points to make it a hard success

Hard Success  
Given the horrid weather conditions and low visibility, Harold is on the alert for danger, since everyone’s senses are rendered nearly-useless by the blizzard.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
Both Benjamin and Boyd missed the pylon but more sharp-eyed members of the party spotted the now snow-covered corpse. Thankfully, the snow obscured the more horrifying aspects of the corpse, giving it an almost cocoon-like appearance.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
"Let's see if had anything on him that could help us survive first," says Benjamin, "and then we can bury him. The snow will help with that."

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:13 am
by Philulhu
Whatever the pilot had been wearing, most of it was either lost or badly damaged. What remained of a blood-soaked vest adorned his neck and shoulders and his trousers had been torn away. The cargo pockets on both sides were ripped open, and anything he’d had in there was obviously gone.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
"Well, at least we can still give him a decent burial and keep him from being desecrated any further," says Benjamin. "I'll dig. Where's the shovel?"

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:01 am
by Joajackson

"Benjamin and Boyd, start working and be quick, the rest will keep guard. I dont want to deal with wathever did this to him, or anything else."

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
"Yes, ma'am," says Benjamin. "I'll work like they did in Nehemiah's time: a weapon in one hand, and a tool in the other."

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:16 am
by kabukiman
"Sure, we will be quick with this".

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:45 pm
by Philulhu
Quick, it wasn’t. With one spade and the ground mostly frozen, it proved to be hard going. After an hour, there was little more than a shallow trench, less than a foot deep.

CON checks, please.

Penalty die for your next roll for anyone who fails their roll.

CON (70) 1d100

Failed - penalty die on your next roll.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Benjamin has no problem digging the grave.

CON roll (80% stat) digging a grave:
d%

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:15 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

Fail. Again.  
Maybe Randy is just getting all of his bad rolls out of the way now, ready for the big show later?

Cough. Wheeze. Splutter. Shiver. Chatter.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

You could spend 3 Luck to make that a success.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:25 pm
by Lost_King
Con 45%

1d100

Fail  
Standing around has nearly frozen Harold to the core.

“that looks good enough… Why don’t we just heap snow over the corpse and move on? I don’t know how much longer I can bear standing still in this intense cold. I hate to admit it, but I’m not as young as I used to be.”

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:53 pm
by Snapper
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:46 pm

You could spend 3 Luck to make that a success.

Randy could but he's not so Luck rich that he's going to spend it except for true emergencies. He'll keep toughing it out...
Cough cough shiver...

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:46 am
by BoyBlunder78

Gavin is quite comfortable on sleigh, making mini snow angels. "I'm afraid that may be the best we could hope for, without proper equipment he's just gonna lay there. We should take his ID so we can give his family something. "

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:06 am
by Philulhu
Are you covering the body and moving on?

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:27 pm
by kabukiman
Boyd: Con 45%

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:28 pm
by kabukiman
And Boyd gets tired very easily

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:51 am
by Philulhu
With the frozen ground, it took some time before they were satisfied that the pilot was decently buried. The fact that there was just one shovel made it worse, as there was much standing around, waiting for a turn. They could feel the cold leaching into their bones and they were glad when they could move on again.

Mindful of their earlier missteps, they took care not to lose sight of the pipeline. Doing so, navigation was relatively easy, although progress was slow and their pace was slowing. The wind continued to drive towards them, buffeting them as they trudged onwards. It was difficult to tell how far they had to walk, and how long it would take them to get there.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:48 am
by Joajackson

"Keep walking, cof cof, god dammit. I hate this place, and if we dont get somewhere because one of you doesnt move qui-cof... Quick enough, I beat..."

The leader tried to be a though motivator, but coughing and lack of breath was limiting that intention.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Benjamin takes point, leading the way as they follow the pipeline.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:22 am
by kabukiman
Boyd is freezing and feeling he lost a lot of energy with the digging.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:58 pm
by Snapper

"I don't know how far we are from the pumping station but we don't want to be putting up tents in the dark. In fact, we don't want to be doing anything in the dark seeing as we have no flashlights. Trekking after dark here is a recipe for death."

"And keep an eye out for any wood that has been kept dry because it's been sheltered somehow. If we see some along the way, we should carry it with us."

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:42 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" I agree, we should maybe give it another hour then hunker down. We could all do with some rest, by WE i mean all of YOU becuse all I've done is be fucking useless pulled through snow by Rudolph here!" Gavin says in frustration.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:15 am
by Snapper
OOC:   What's the time?  

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
Benjamin nods. "We should set up the tents in the shelter of the pipeline shortly before it gets dark," he says. "We don't want to waste any daylight. We need to make as much progress as we can, so we only spend one more night out here before we reach the pumping station and not two. I'll keep my eyes open."

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:39 am
by Philulhu
It’s approaching 3pm. You probably have a couple of hours of daylight at most, although the weather is also a factor, as the wind shows no sign of abating.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:03 am
by Snapper

"So, two hours of daylight left. Walk for an hour and a half, then spend the last half hour putting up tents. And hopefully we find some dry wood along the way. What do we think?"

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
"Sounds like a plan," says Benjamin.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:42 am
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin grunts in acknowledgement as he stares up into the sky.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:05 pm
by Philulhu
Gavin was thoroughly cold, wet and miserable by the time they stopped, roughly ninety minutes later. The others weren’t in great shape but at least moving kept them warm. Strapped to his sled, Gavin’s options were extremely limited.

They managed to find a spot where the pipeline and the lea of the rising hillside helped to protect them from the worst of the wind and driving snow. Pulling out the tents, they began to set up camp.

Can I have a spot hidden roll, to see whether you find any wood for a fire?

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:19 pm
by Snapper

1d%pHdd50%

Hard Success.  
"I will never eat another snow-cone as long as I live."

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
Benjamin doesn't spot any firewood through the blowing snow, but he's glad someone did.

Spot Hidden roll (30% skill) looking for firewood:
d%

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:20 am
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:19 pm Image

1d%pHdd50%

Hard Success.  
"I will never eat another snow-cone as long as I live."

"Well done, we wont freeze completely today."

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:01 am
by BoyBlunder78

Gavin see' nothing but a vast sea of grey and white.....

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:28 pm
by kabukiman
Boyd Spott hidden 30%

1d100

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:28 pm
by kabukiman
Boyd is too cold to see anything besides the snow and ice...

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:43 am
by Philulhu
As the others set up the tents, Randy was able to get a small fire going with the wood he had found on the way. He doubted it would last the night, but at least it might give them a warm drink before they turned in.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:25 pm
by Lost_King
OOC:   Harold hasn’t rolled a spot hidden yet.  

Spot Hidden 30%

1d100

Success  

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:23 am
by Philulhu
OK, Harold finds some timber as well, so the fire will last longer into the night.

With the additional fuel that Harold had found while the tents were being set up, Randy was able to build up the fire. It was sheltered from the worst of the wind by the base of the pipeline support, and he had a hot drink ready once the tents were ready. Although they were out of the wind, snow continued to fall steadily and the two tents soon resembled two white ridges up against the rock wall.

A timecheck showed it had just passed 5.00pm and the light was quickly fading.

What are your plans? Setting a watch? If so, can I have the order you’ll be taking your turns.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
"We need to set a watch," says Benjamin. "I'll take first watch. I'm the least exhausted among us."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:03 am
by BoyBlunder78
Staring into the blizzard, Gavin sighs, " Hey if any of youse need company im up for it."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:27 am
by Joajackson
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:54 am
Benjamin.png
"We need to set a watch," says Benjamin. "I'll take first watch. I'm the least exhausted among us."

"Thanks... I feel, really tired. I will do the second guard, dont allow me to rest more, thats an order."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
"Yes, ma'am," says Benjamin, sketching a salute. "No problem."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:58 pm
by Snapper

"I'll take third watch," Randy was quick to volunteer.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:11 pm
by Philulhu
Happy new year and sorry for the delay. I’ve not forgotten you! 🙂

I’ll update in the next day or so, when I get the chance.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:57 am
by Philulhu
It was agreed that Benjamin would take the first watch, Amanda the second, Randy the third, Harold fourth and Boyd (who no doubt secretly hoped that the others would be awake again before his watch came round proper) would take the fifth and final one before the dawn. Gavin’s inflatable boot held his foot immobile (mostly) but it wasn’t designed for standing around so he wasn’t assigned a formal watch period, but he would be free to keep any of the watcher’s company, provided that he didn’t overdo it.

Rations were heated over the fire before the exhausted team turned in, leaving Benjamin to watch over them for the next two hours.

Watch 1d10
Gavin 1d10

Kept company by Gavin, Benjamin’s watch was uneventful and the fire still burned strongly as Amanda took over from him. Likewise, her watch was uneventful, but the pile of logs was considerably diminished by the time Randy was roused from his tent (suspiciously early, he thought). Following the briefest of sit-reps, he found himself staring out into the black night. The wind had dropped somewhat, but the snow still fell, deadening the sound all around.

Can I have a listen roll, please?

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:15 am
by Snapper

1d%L25%

Fail.  

Randy heard nothing but his own teeth chattering.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:00 pm
by Philulhu
Randy found himself alone in the snow-deadened world, with only the faintest of snores emanating from one of the tents reminding him that he wasn’t the only one out there in the white wilderness.

Standing still wasn’t an option, so he was soon pacing up and down in an attempt to keep warm. His boots crunched as he made a path through the snow, walking backwards and forwards past the fire, pausing at each end to gaze out into night sky still thick with falling snow that just added to the white shroud that blanketed their camp.

It was as he turned at one end of his path that he was suddenly aware of something emerging from the night sky. With a faint hiss as it flew, Randy barely had time to flinch before a giant snowball - at least a metre across - swept him off his feet and buried him in the nearest snowdrift! As he struggled to right himself, he could see a second flying in his direction… …

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:27 am
by Snapper

"HEEEEEELLLPPP!!!!" Randy, choking on snow, hollered for all he was worth.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:16 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin's eyes shot open, as he shot bolt upright, grasping for his pistol or axe, whichever is closest to.hand. "Randy!! Randy!! Whats happening??!!! he bellows.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:06 pm
by Philulhu
The intense cold means it will be necessary for Amanda to share a tent. I think she’s more likely to want to share with the security chaps (Randy & Benjamin) so they’re all in tent #1 (when not on guard duty), leaving Boyd, Gavin & Harold in tent #2.

Why is that important? Well, let’s see…

Tent #1 - 1-3
Tent #2 - 4-6

1d6

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:25 pm
by Philulhu
Vaguely aware of some commotion outside, Amanda and Benjamin were just starting to stir when the side of their tent ballooned in and they found themselves abruptly shoved sideways, wedged into the corner of the tent with a heavy weight of snow pinning them awkwardly together… …

Boyd and Harold found themselves rudely awoken by Gavin sitting up and shouting for Randy! Had he gone mad or was something else going on?! Something to do with the soft ‘thwump!’ noise that came from the tent next door?!

Stuck in the snowdrift, Randy could only watch in horror as a second, even larger snowball, flattened the tent he had been sharing with Amanda and Benjamin!

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
Benjamin quickly comes to his senses and tries to dig them out from under the snow.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:12 pm
by Joajackson

The woman came to senses a moment after his tent companion and started doing the same, very much insulting the bloody hell of nature they were consistently put on. Considering the situation, they had just been hit by a minor avalanche, magnificent.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:16 am
by Philulhu
The weight of the snow and the collapsed tent canvas meant that Amanda and Benjamin found themselves wriggling against each other and making very limited actual progress in exiting the tent… …

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:26 am
by Snapper

"There's giant goddamn killer snowballs!! Everyone get out of the tents!!"

Randy will try to free his arms and fire a shot or two into the dark night sky (well away from the tents or pipeline) with either the pistol or M16 if he can.

Is there any way to tell what direction the snowballs-of-death are coming from?

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
"We're trying, but we're buried and tangled!" calls Benjamin. "Can someone get that shovel and dig us out?"

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:26 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin against his better judgement drags himself from out his tent, assessing the chaos around him.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:51 pm
by Joajackson

"Get us out of here!!"

Amanda screamed really angry, expecting the rest of the group would hear them.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:49 pm
by Philulhu
1d100

1d4

Most of the weight seemed to be at the foot end of the tent, nearest the zip, but their movement was hampered by the fact that they were at least partially cocooned in their sleeping bags and the tent canvas had collapsed upon them.

OOC:   Actions, please.  

The scene would have been amusing if they weren’t under attack! Randy was partially buried in a snow drift and was trying to bring his rifle to bear on their unseen attackers!

In the tent that Amanda shared with the other security staff, she was screaming fit to burst. The tent had collapsed and snow weighed down the entrance and her and Benjamin were struggling to get out.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw another giant snowball emerge from the darkness, heading for Randy once again!

OOC:   With the falling snow, it is really difficult for Randy to see where they’re coming from. Make a hard spot hidden roll, and an extreme rifle/pistol roll if you’re firing.  
As Randy tried to determine where the snowballs were coming from, a third emerged from the darkness, heading straight for him again!

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:43 am
by BoyBlunder78
"RANDY!! WATCH OUT!!" Gavin shouted helplessly from his prone position, as he scrambled looking for a torch or shovel, anything that would be useful......anything at all....

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:57 am
by Philulhu
Try a spot hidden roll.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Extreme!  

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
Benjamin tries to wriggle out of his sleeping bag.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:14 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd50%

Epic fail.  
1d%Hd40%

Fail.  
Eyes half blinded by violent snow impact, Randy could see nothing in the dark. In desperation, he fired off a single round from his .45 automatic in a fairly random direction away from the tents.

CRACK!!

"Back off!!"

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:02 am
by kabukiman
Boyd was sleeping when he heard Randy scream. He immediatly tried to get out of the tent to see what was happenng.

OOC: Any roll?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:53 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   No roll required as your tent hasn’t been hit.  

OOC:   Good roll!  
Gavin could see that the angle at which the snowballs were coming in suggested that whoever (or whatever!) was throwing them, it was probably doing so from the edge of the ridge which overlooked the river. For a moment, there was a break in the falling snow and he saw a large, shadowy creature, snow matting its fur, staring down at them as it prepared to throw another ball of snow and ice in their direction… …
OOC:   SAN check, please. Whatever you saw, it wasn’t human.  

The recoil jarred his arm as his shot disappeared into the darkness, but there was no apparent effect.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:35 pm
by Joajackson

Amanda tried to push up the tent so that Benjamin had more space to move and help her out later.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:49 am
by Lost_King
Harold still has the shovel, though it seems like ages since he grabbed it from the wreckage of the plane several days ago. As soon as he stumbles out of his tent with Boyd and sees Randy, he stumbles back in to grab it. Emerging from the tent for a second time, he attempts to free Randy from the snow as quickly as possible.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:34 am
by Snapper

Randy flipped the safety on and jammed the 1911 into an accessible pocket, then got on with trying to assist Harold in freeing himself.

"Something is lobbing dinosaur sized snowballs at us!"

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:32 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Hard!! Where were these rolls at the start!!!  

Gavin just stares at the ridge, mouth agape, muttering under his breath What the fuck?!!" Pointing towards the area he starts shouting, " THERE!! THERE!! ITS ON THE RIDGE!!! A FUCKING YETI!!"

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:54 am
by kabukiman
Boyd try to help the people in the other tent to get out.
"Guys, what happened to you?"

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
The creature locked eyes with Gavin, like two burning red orbs in amidst the swirling snow! After what seemed like an eternity, it threw back it’s heard and howled, then spun away into the darkness and was gone!

A chilling howl brought everyone to a sudden halt, causing everyone to look around fearfully. After a long pause, it became obvious that the snowballs had stopped and they could quickly rescue their comrades. Harold’s shovel made quick work of the snowdrift into which Randy had found himself embedded, and Boyd shook off most of the snow from the broken tent, allowing Amanda and Benjamin to escape.

The poles of their tent had snapped under the impact and it lay like a sad, deflated balloon, although the second tent had escaped with any damage. The fire, already low on fuel, had been sprayed by snow from one of the snowballs and looked to be on the verge of going out. The still blew steadily and the snow continued to fall… … …

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
Benjamin digs himself out of the snow and helps Amanda. "Are you all right, ma'am?" he asks.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:01 am
by Snapper

Randy hastily tried to save and build up the fire again. "Animals don't like fIre but we do," he kept repeating to himself.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
With what little fuel they had left, Randy built up the fire, but it was clear it wouldn’t last more than hour or so, and certainly not through the night.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm
by Snapper

"Something is out there. I do not know what, but it was throwing snowballs at least three feet wide. I don't know how you do that. Our fire is going to go out soon. We'll be in the dark. And one tent is stuffed."

"Who's got the flare guns? We might need some light later."

Randy unslung his M16.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:15 pm
by Joajackson

"I feel like shit Benjamín, god fucking dammit. What the hell is with this week."

The woman felt like shit, and looked like shit. And after hearing Randy's explanation, thought of shit.

"Very well, we are seemingly being attacked by a plane destroying, avalanche producing, men butchering giant. We have all gone insane, we all understand we all have gone insane?"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:54 am
by Philulhu
There was another eerie howl, but this one sounded as if it were moving away… … … or was there another creature out there?

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
Benjamin gathers his equipment, gripping his M16 as he peers out toward the sound of the howl. "I don't feel any different," he says. "Maybe I was insane all along."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
Hearing the howl Gavin mentions to the others, " We ate going to need a bigger fire! That thing i saw was huge, definetly not human..and no bear. The way it hurled those snowballs....You dont think thats what downed the plane?" He gripped the pistol and axe closer. " We need to get to thst fucking station pronto!"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:39 am
by kabukiman
Boyd gets the flare just in case.
"Does anyone knows what time is it?"

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:50 pm
by Philulhu
A quick check on the time reveals it to be around 3.30am.

Can I have a CON check please, for the effects of being buried in the snow drift?

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:16 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

Unexpected success. Just.  

"We need light and heat. We could burn the broken tent I guess but that would probably last five minutes."

"Is there any way we can get inside the pipeline? If it's big enough to move through. It isn't operational yet, right? There's no oil or whatever in it?"

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
"We gathered all the firewood we could on the way," says Benjamin. "We need to find more if we want to keep it going. Whatever this thing is, it isn't a bear. Bears don't hurl giant snowballs. Apparently we just got into a snowball fight with a Yeti - and we lost. I know that's impossible, but I'm meshuggah, remember?"

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:48 am
by Philulhu
Whilst the pipeline appeared large enough to crawl through, it would require explosives or tools they didn’t have to break into it.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:15 pm
by Snapper

"What about a snow embankment around the remaining tent and the fire? We could build that fairly quickly. Something to help with anymore snowballs. Then some could shelter for a bit in the tent while the others are on guard."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
"I can stand guard," says Benjamin. "If that mamzer shows up again, I'll be ready."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:56 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Should maybe buddy up on watch,
with the weather and that things natural camouflage it couldn't hurt."
Gavin suggested.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 787 times
"Good idea," says Benjamin.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:55 am
by Joajackson

"Gavin, I will take that duty. I will be better' for keeping guard... And shooting."

She seemed really, angry, and thinking way too much of murder.

"I will make that thing bleed."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:27 pm
by kabukiman
"Well, I'l go sleep again. Call me when it will my watch."

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:33 am
by Philulhu
The party quickly constructed the makeshift snow barrier behind which the remaining tent was sited, then paired off into double watches, so that at least two people were on duty at any one time.

While four tried to sleep, the two on guard tried as best they could to keep watch, not an easy task with the wind driving the snow down the river valley. More than once, a strange howl could be heard. Whether it was the wind or something else, no one could tell.

The sun rose late - almost 8.00am, which was a relief to the last two watchers as the fire had long gone out and visibility had been virtually zero. Everyone had had a disturbed night and was feeling the effects, leaving some tired and grouchy people.

As the sky brightened, the wind eased a bit, so, although the snow still fell, it was possible to see more of their surroundings. The river remained frozen and the valley sides rose steeply to ridges on each sides. The pipeline continued to follow the valley in both directions.

CON checks, please, for the effects of the cold and lack of sleep. A failed roll means a penalty for on your next roll.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:58 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

Fail. Reverting to form.  
"We need to get to this station soon or we are in such big trouble." Randy was back to going blue, shivering and coughing, as he staggered about repacking the remaining tent.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 702 times
"Agreed," says Benjamin, though he himself is no worse for the wear. "We must reach the station today. We can't have another night like last night. We should move out as soon as possible."

CON roll (80% stat) due to cold and lack of sleep:
d%

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 am
by BoyBlunder78
Lying in h8s prone position Gavin really starts to feel he cold, his wounds aching. "He's right, i dont think we'll survive another night like thst..." His teeth chattering as he spoke.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:22 pm
by Lost_King
CON 45%

1d100

Success  
Harold seemed to be adjusting to the cold climate surprisingly quickly.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:18 am
by Philulhu
Amanda’s CON roll (70) 1d100

That’s a fail for Amanda. Disturbed sleep and the cold means that she will take a penalty die on her next roll.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:59 am
by kabukiman
Boyd: 45%

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:00 am
by kabukiman
Boyd is feeling exhausted with the lack of sleep.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:40 am
by Philulhu
With the one surviving tent packed away, and with Gavin on his stretcher/sledge, the party set off for the pumping station. The snowfall ceased after a while but the bitterly cold wind continued to blow steadily, whipping them with flurries of drifting snow. Everyone was cold and miserable, a situation compounded by the lack of hot food and drinks.

They pushed on for a couple of hours before exhaustion brought them to a stumbling halt on the leeward side of one of the support pylons for the pipeline, where they could take shelter from the wind, if only for a short while.

Listen rolls, please (with penalty die for Amanda, Boyd, Gavin & Randy).

Listen (30) 1d100

Penalty die 1d10

That’s a fail.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:24 am
by Joajackson

"I... I... Hat-te this, dammit."

She was seated on the ground.

"The moment we can, we... We keep moving."

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:13 am
by Snapper

1d%L25%

1d10

Fail.  
The only thing Randy could hear was his own misery, as he slowly lost the will to live...

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Benjamin is alert, and he hears something.

Listen roll (35% skill) taking a break:
d%

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:47 am
by Philulhu
From somewhere close by, there’s a heavy, snuffling sound, accompanied by ragged breathing. It sounds animal, rather than human.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:48 am
by Lost_King
Listen 30%

1d100

Fail  
Harold sits down on a pile of snow, already more than a little tired from the journey.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:09 am
by BoyBlunder78

Gavin senses nothing as leans back, staring st the sky.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Benjamin holds a finger to his lips. "The beast is back," he whispers, pointing his M16 in the direction of the sound and trying to see what's making it.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:25 pm
by Philulhu
Are you looking around the other side of the pylon?

1d100

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:14 pm
by Joajackson

After Benjamin said that, the woman stood up and spoke lowly but clearly.

"If you see it, you kill it."

I think Amanda had a weapon, but I cant remember which one, so if she had one, she will join benjamin in pointing guns to nothing.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin sits up, silently scanning the distance, readying his pistol in one hand...axe in the other.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:15 am
by Snapper

"Oh great. Well, I did get my Scout Rifle Marksmanship badge.
If I could stop shaking for a minute."
Randy unslings his M16.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 836 times

If the sound is coming from the other side of the pylon, I'll look there, but I'll be stealthy about it.

I brought back Amanda's M16 and offered it to her. I'm not sure if she gave it to Randy and kept her pistol, though. Someone else brought that back.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:17 am
by Philulhu
Amanda has an M16, I think.

Benjamin - If you’re trying to sneak, please make a roll. It will be opposed so just let me know what you get.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:28 pm
by kabukiman
Boyd:
Listen 40%

Dice
Penalty dice

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:40 pm
by Snapper

Randy managed to retrieve his M16 when the plane crashed, and also his 1911 automatic.
Amanda, being a terrible boss (in the grand tradition in horror settings, to be fair), took Randy's M16.
Benjamin brought another M16 back from the crash site and gave that one to Amanda.
At that point, Randy somewhat testily took his own M16 back from Amanda.

So at this point, both Amanda and Randy have M16s, but of the two, Amanda is far more likely to be the first to get shot in the back...

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:03 pm
by Lost_King
Harold brought back Amanda’s handgun, but she preferred to use her M16, so I think Harold gave it to Gavin. Harold wasn’t super keen on having possession of a firearm.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Benjamin creeps around the edge of the pylon, slicing the pie and leading with the barrel of his M16. The safety is off.

Stealth roll (40% skill) to sneak around the pylon:
d%

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:47 am
by Snapper

Randy watched Benjamin and made certain his own M16 was set to 'single shot'.

No time to waste ammunition.  
In his current hypothermic state, Randy doubted he could move quietly, so he kept still but was ready to back the Israeli up. He hoped...

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:58 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Gavin just sat.....and watched.....and waited....little piles of snow mountng on his hood and shoulders.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
1d100

As Benjamin edged around the pylon, a shadow fell across him and he found himself staring up into the bloody maw of a grizzly bear! The creature was stood on its hind legs and towered over him, albeit briefly, before it dropped forward, claws reaching out for the man in front of him, with a violent roar of rage and pain!

Actions: Benjamin, then the bear, then everyone else. (I’ll resolve everyone else in DEX order but don’t let that stop you posting when you’re ready, unless you’re planning to hold an action to see what someone else does.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Benjamin opens fire with his M16. He isn't concerned about conserving ammo. He has plenty of that, but only one body that's about to be torn to shreds. Still, he knows that single shots are more accurate than burst fire. He squeezes off two shots. Both hit, and the first is deadly accurate.

Firearms(Rifle/Shotgun) roll (65% skill) shooting at the bear, point blank, shot 1 of 2:
d%
Bonus die:
1d10*10
Spending 1 Luck to make the first shot an impale.
Damage to bear:
4d8
Firearms(Rifle/Shotgun) roll (65% skill) shooting at the bear, point blank, shot 2 of 2:
d%
Bonus die:
1d10*10
Damage to bear:
22d8
(I accidentally rolled 22d8, so just take the first two)

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:39 am
by Philulhu
Can I have a Dodge roll, please?

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Benjamin tried to duck back around the pylon, but the bear was too fast.

I forgot that impales work differently in 7th edition than in 6th. An impale does maximum damage plus regular damage, so that first shot did 24 damage. The second one did 8.

Dodge roll (45% skill) to avoid the bear's attack:
d%

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:23 pm
by Philulhu
Red mist erupted from the bear’s back as Benjamin’s bullets struck it in the chest, killing it instantly. It wasn’t enough to halt the bear’s momentum, however, and the creature collapsed on top of him, driving him to the floor!

You’ve been crushed by a large, dead and bloody bear!

Damage (1d6) 1d6

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:50 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Struggling to see what was happening Gavin shouts into the blizzard. "What's happening!!! What is it??!!" Cocking his pistol.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:21 pm
by Joajackson

Unnable to clearly see, the woman just answered the screams of Gavin with something simple.

"Something big! Dont shoot extra, we dont want friendly fire! If something big moves, kill it!"

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:38 pm
by Snapper

"Ben's killed a bear, but it's fallen on him! We need to get it off him!"

Randy slung his rifle again and raced over to help get the giant four-legged rug off Benjamin.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 517 times
"Thanks," says Benjamin, helping to lever the dead bear off of himself. "Use the shovel for leverage. I'm injured too, but I'll survive. You should see the other guy."

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:55 am
by Joajackson

The leader joined Randy to get Benjamin free from the bear.

"I am seeing the other guy, and you are lucky it didnt crush your ribs."

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:46 am
by Philulhu
With the help of the others, Benjamin managed to wriggle out from under the dead bear, bruised and battered but thankfully alive!

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Good shot!!" exclaims Gavin as he bum shuffles over to have a look at the bear.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:26 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a Spot Hidden or Natural World, please?

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:05 am
by BoyBlunder78
=Natural World
OOC:   oof.....I'll spend the 3 points to make it a success  

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 523 times
"Thank you," says Benjamin. "Let me borrow that first aid kit." He tries to treat his own injury, but he's still too shaken up by the encounter to be effective. He takes two bullets out of the box of ammo and tops up his magazine. "Do we have time to skin and butcher the bear? The fur could keep us warm, and the meat could keep us fed for a long time. It would be only fair. The bear was going to eat us."

First Aid roll (45% skill) trying to treat his own injury:
d%

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:50 am
by Snapper

1d%Fd65%

Penalty die:

1d10

Success.  
Benjamin gets a HP back.

"We need to get moving and get to shelter before dark or we could die tonight. We are down a tent and things are throwing monster snowballs at nighttime. Bear will wait."

Randy shakily bandaged up the scratches, his fingers cold as ice.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:19 am
by Philulhu
Gavin notices another wound in the bear’s flank. The blood was dried and fur matted, so it was more than a few hours old. It looked like it was attacked by another bear.

Are you moving on?

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 pm
by Snapper
Randy is convinced staying put will lead to deaths for the reasons he has said, and will urge the party on.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Bear meat is one of my favourites , but without a proper way of cooking it I wouldn't advise it and we dont have time to skin it, think you've been watching too many movies. Looks like something took a wee chunk out of Gentle Ben before it got to us. Either another grizzly.....or our furry friend." Gavin says looking up from the carcass.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 442 times
"Yeah, you're right," says Benjamin. "We absolutely have to get to the pumping station before nightfall. It just seems like a waste, but maybe our snowball-throwing Yeti friend will appreciate the meal and leave us alone. Thank you, Randy."

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:38 am
by Philulhu
Eschewing the bear meat, the group pushed on, though the cold and lack of food meant that energy levels were starting to drop. The sky was overcast and the wind continued to blow steadily, adding to their discomfort and bringing the risk of frostbite to any exposed flesh.

They trudged on, making slow if steady progress. The frozen landscape was unchanging, snowdrifts and ice-covered rocks all there was to see, with just the pipeline to guide them. As midday passed and the light started to wain, they finally caught sight of their destination.

A forest of evergreen swept into the valley from the right, and the pipeline followed the river as it curved off to the left, around the edge. Up ahead, in the distance, the pumping station - comprising half a dozen low buildings - sat atop a low hill that had been cleared of trees.

Can I have CON rolls from everyone? Your next roll will be subject to a penalty die if you fail.

CON (70) 1d100

As the crow flies - by taking a shortcut through the forest - it’s around two miles. Following the pipeline as it snakes around the edge of the forest will double the distance.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:09 am
by Snapper

1d%45%

Uncharacteristic Success!  
Putting his first aid skills to good use then later finally seeing their destination had reinvigorated Randy. At least temporarily, he was coping with the insidious cold.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:41 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   phew  
"Well aint that a sight for sore eyes?: Gavin says as he brushes the icicles from his eye brows.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Benjamin has no problem continuing to endure the cold, knowing it won't be much longer. "Well, we don't have to worry about getting lost if we make a beeline for the pumping station," he says. "We'd just lose the shelter of the pipeline if we take the direct route."

CON roll (80% stat) for the walk to the station:
d%

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:25 am
by Joajackson

"Forests are treasonous, be extra careful, if we get lost... I dont think we make this one."

The woman was very much exhausted and mistreated by the cold, that had hitted here severely in the last time, but hope was at her sight.

"Remember, we lost contact with the pumping station, and after that plane crash, presume shit. If anything but a disarmed human is there, you shoot first, then ask for confirmation. Single alarm shots if unclear."

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:54 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Either way has problems, follow the pipeline we have shelter, takes a little longer bu oit in the open if ol' Grizzly Adams fancues anymore potshots. The forest is quicker but provides cover for......everything..." Gavin nods.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:17 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 331 times
"Yes, ma'am," says Benjamin. "We'll take whichever route you say."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:17 am
by Joajackson

"If we get lost, its my fault, you eat me meat and kill me at barehand. Lets go trough the forest, fuck it."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:02 am
by Snapper

Randy considered how this would be approached as a Scouting excursion.

"Well, on the downside, I don't think we have a compass between us, so let's not get lost in there. On the upside, if we do get lost, there's hopefully more firewood, until the next predator arrives."

"We should definitely mark trees as we pass them, so at least we can tell where we have come from. We can use that as a sort of pointer to keep our bearings."
He held up his pocket knife and waggled it by way of demonstration.

Randy tried to think of some simple, better way to maintain a fixed heading in the forest.

1d%L()45%

Fail.  
1d%d45%

Fail.  
Nothing much came to mind.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:41 pm
by Philulhu
As they entered the forest, the evergreens reached far above, muffling the sound of the near-constant wind that had accompanied them since the plane crash. The tops of the trees still exposed to the winds swayed, creaking and groaning, periodically causing clouds of snow to sift down around them.

The snow wasn’t as deep there, but other obstacles slowed their progress, leaving them to deal with fallen logs and undergrowth that hid undulations in the landscape that could trip the tired or unwary. As they progressed, it became more gloomy, the overcast sky and the density of the trees making it difficult to see the way ahead.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Benjamin takes point. Even with his injuries, he's the best suited to deal with any dangers.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:29 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   How's Gavin doing? Sill sled bound? Or is it possible to us the trees to make a sturdy splint or crutches?  

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:35 am
by Snapper

Every few metres, Randy quickly used his pocket knife to carve an arrow into a tree trunk, pointing the way they were walking.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:14 am
by kabukiman
"Once we arrive at the base, what do we do exactly? Try to sneak in?"- asks Boyd

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:41 am
by Philulhu
There’s no shortage of timber so finding a branch for a crutch is relatively straightforward. It’s easier doing that than trying to negotiate the forest with the sledge.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:38 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"When we get there it would be better to do a little reccy of the place, be good to get the lay of the land before we barge in. Right all this timber, i need to get off my arse and get a crutch. Still be slow but better hobbling through these trees than you poor bastards dragging me." Gavin says, his eyes scanning the surroundings.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:32 am
by Joajackson

"We will try reccon, if the temperature isnt killing us. With our luck, we could get there at the same time a blizzard breaks against us."

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 408 times
"Okay, let's do it," says Benjamin.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:22 am
by Lost_King
Con 45%

1d100

Success!  
“I am fully in support of doing a little bit of scouting prior to entering a random building. We have no idea what’s in there.”

Despite the cold and windy trek, Harold seems to be doing well; at least as well as a person can be in these unusual circumstances.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:10 pm
by Philulhu
Pausing a moment for Gavin to find a sturdy branch to use as a crutch, the group prepared to push deeper into the forest.

Benjamin took the lead, with the others following close behind, weaving in between the trees, with only the crunch of compressed snow and occasional ‘snap’ of a broken twig hidden under the snow to break the unnatural and unnerving silence.

Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Benjamin has a feeling that there's a presence out there, but he can't see it.

Spot Hidden roll (30% skill) on the way to the station:
d%

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:25 pm
by Philulhu
The group pushed their way through trees, making steady progress, although the quiet was unnerving, with a distinct lack of birdsong or other animal noise. The undulation of the forest floor and the uneven spread of the trees meant it was difficult to maintain sight lines, although Randy was able to keep track of their progress by notching trees as he went.

After about a mile, Benjamin noticed a flash of blue through the trees ahead. Stepping out into a small clearing, the group saw the ruins of a campsite consisting of several tents and a debris shelter, all of which had been ripped and smashed to pieces. Fragments of tents and sleeping bags were strung from tree branches, and clothes and other belongings were scattered over the snow. A shredded Earth First banner hung from a makeshift flagpole.

Suddenly, there was a realisation that the splashes of red around the site weren’t fragments of tent material or clothes. It was everywhere - the clearing was painted with blood... a lot of it! A grotesque tableau of broken limbs, piles of flesh, and shredded, unidentifiable viscera, topped off with a a head leering down upon them from above where it had been impaled on a broken branch, a look of absolute horror frozen into his features!

SAN checks, everyone.

SAN loss is 1/1d4+2.

Amanda’s SAN (70) 1d100

SAN loss = 1. New SAN is 69.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:12 am
by Snapper

1d%75%

Fail.  
1d4+2

6 points.  
1d%d45%

Fail.  
Thankfully, Randy failed his Idea so isn't Temporarily Insane!

Randy had never seen anything so appalling in all his young life. Suddenly, the fact he was barely out of his teens was very obvious. "Oh my god!!" He lurched behind a tree and was violently relieved of the little left in his stomach. Then he staggered a few feet before collapsing and burying his face in his hands, bursting into tears.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 248 times
"Adonai!" cries Benjamin. While he's seen horrors in the Yom Kippur War, this is worse than anything he had seen before. "Whatever is out there slaughtered the North Wind activists! I have a bad feeling that the same thing may have happened to the crew of the pumping station. That may be why we lost contact."

Sanity roll (current level 54) for seeing the carnage:
d%
Sanity loss:
1d4+2

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:46 pm
by Joajackson

Amanda spot on the ground and gritted her teeth seeing the camp.

"I already said it, this... This is fucking bullshit. I... I have no idea whats happening, terrorists? Some neo-nazi group doing massacres in the wild and shooting down planes? I... God fucking dammit."

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:00 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   San 57%  
In all his years in the wilderness Gavin had never seen a scene of such violence , such viscousness, such malevolence.
  Can i make a natural world[ roll to trt and determine what kind of animal could've done this?/think]  

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:23 pm
by Philulhu
You’re welcome to give it a go.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:11 am
by BoyBlunder78

Gavin is too shocked to make even a rational guess at what could've possibly done this.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 204 times
"I think it's the same thing that wounded that bear I finished off," says Benjamin, "and that strung up our pilot. Maybe it's the same thing that got us with the giant snowball last night, but it fled rather than face us. We're heavily armed. I don't think these hippies were, but if they were, it didn't do them any good. We may want to search the camp for anything useful or any clues or tracks."

Natural World (15% skill) about what might have caused this:
d%

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:29 am
by Lost_King
Sanity 50%

1d100

Success, lost 1 Sanity  
Harold surveys the scene, his jaw clenched and his face turning very pale.

“Shit.”

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:06 am
by kabukiman
Boyd: san 40%

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:07 am
by kabukiman
Boyd sanity loss

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:10 am
by kabukiman
Boyd was in shock when he saw that awful images: he started vomiting and had to left the place to avoid fainting.

"Guys, I am not feeling well".

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:31 am
by Snapper

Randy staggered to his feet, wiping his eyes with the backs of his hands. Occasionally, he had to steady himself against a tree-trunk with one hand, apparently getting faint. Twice he had to bend forward, groaning, until the dots cleared from his vision. "Ugh... Umm, are Earth First and North Wind allied?"

Randy forced himself to at least look at the nightmare from where he stood, and attempted to rationally assess the carnage as a medic.

1d%d40%

Success.  
Can Randy assess:

Is the flesh and blood frozen solid, and if so, how long would that take?

How many bodies have been torn apart, approximately?

Is anything obviously missing?

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:00 pm
by Philulhu
You’ve probably heard of Earth First, as they’re an environmental protest organisation, similar to Greenpeace. They rely on lobbying and peaceful protest. If you’ve worked for Exxon before, they will have been mentioned at some point.

North Wind is most likely new to you. The first time you probably heard about them was from the briefing at the beginning of the mission (link). They’re known to be more radical, and will resort to violence to try to achieve their aims.

The two organisations share similar aims. It’s not known whether they are linked.

Studying the carnage, Randy concluded that the attack had taken place a week or so previously. The depth of the snow and the colour of the blood suggested it wasn’t more recent than that. Looking around he estimated that as many as half a dozen people may have died here.

There’s nothing obviously missing. No harvesting of heads, for example.

What’s everyone else doing while Randy goes corpse fishing?

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:21 pm
by Joajackson

"Form a perimeter! Shoot to kill at sight, I dont care for anyone that could do something like this, they die before we so."

With that Amanda did what she preached.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:16 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" This was definitely not the handy work of any beasts i know of. They dont play with their food...: Gavin says as he gestures to the head. "We should see if they have any supplies
we could use."

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:42 pm
by Philulhu
If anyone’s searching, please give me a spot hidden roll.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
  Lungs....livers...3x eyeballs....spleen....bothing useful....  

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Benjamin nods, keeping alert as he guards the perimeter.

Did my Natural World success determine anything?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:18 am
by Snapper

Focusing on practicalities helped Randy as usual. He even straightened up a bit. For the moment, he was ignoring the 'form a perimeter' thing.
  The team's got it.  
"OK, this happened a week or so ago. See the depth of the snow, the colour of the blood. So, long before we got knocked out of the air. There's no reason to think whatever or whoever did this is still real close, a week later."

"We're looking at the remains of maybe half dozen bodies. Nothing seems, ah, obviously missing from the collection. Ugh."

"Apart from anything, that makes this a very big and very important crime scene. Like, national news important. We should try not to disturb it too much. And if we ever, ever get to a radio or phone, RCMP or BC police or likely both will need to get out here ASAP."

Randy lent forward, hands on knees, and carefully scanned the area, much by inch. He was reluctant to step into, let alone touch anything in what he considered the crime scene.

1d%pHdd50%

Fail.  

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:05 am
by Philulhu
Given the extent of the carnage, it’s hard to imagine a wild animal doing this. If it had been one victim, you could see how a pack of animals might have torn them apart, but for so many victims, that seems unlikely. The number of animals that it would have taken to kill half a dozen people would have left a significant trail through the forest, and there’s no sign of that.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 355 times
"This wasn't the work of wild animals," says Benjamin. "A pack of animals might have torn one person apart, but I don't think they could have massacred this many. If there had been that big a pack, they'd have left a trail through the woods, and there's no trace of one. Yeti aside, the only thing I know of that could have done this is man."

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:17 pm
by kabukiman
Boyd: spott hidden 30%

"So, we are looking for someone that behaves like a wild beast but shoot planes with the best tech available? That is a odd combination."

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:51 am
by Lost_King
Spot Hidden 30%

1d100

Success!  
Despite his revulsion at the scene, Harold started walking around, looking for supplies. Especially shovels. Harold doesn’t know much about wilderness survival, but apparently shovels can save lives.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:19 am
by BoyBlunder78
"So you reckon this was done around a week ago? Wen did we lose contact with the ststion?"Gavin asks.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:30 pm
by Philulhu
Your pre-mission briefing said contact had been lost on 18 October. It’s now 29 October.

Virtually everything in the camp had been destroyed, torn apart in the carnage of the attack. It seemed that they would find nothing worth rescuing when Harold cleared the bloodied snow from a pile of shredded tent canvas to reveal a black canvas camera bag buried beneath.

If you open the bag, you’ll find a video camera, a map, and a journal.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 am
by Snapper

"Well done Harold! Now let's get out of here and to the facility before we're shredded or freeze to death."

Can the team make Track rolls for the immediate vicinity or have we murky-ed it all up?

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 292 times
"Yes, we should keep moving," says Benjamin.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:42 pm
by Philulhu
You’re going to struggle in the immediate vicinity of the camp because it has snowed since the events here unfolded and your own tracks will have most likely obliterated any others, but you’re welcome to try.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 546 times
As expected, Benjamin cannot find any tracks.

Track roll (20% skill) looking for tracks:
d%

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:45 am
by Snapper

1d%10%

Fail.  

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:56 am
by kabukiman
Boyd: track 10%

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm
by BoyBlunder78

:geek:

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:31 am
by Philulhu
Sorry forgot to do Amanda’s roll.

Tracking (20) 1d100

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:06 pm
by Lost_King
Track 10%

1d100

Fail  
Harold retraced his steps, carefully looking around for anything useful, but all he could find was more carnage.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:26 am
by Philulhu
Searching around the clearing, all they found were their own tracks, weaving in and out of the frozen carnage, It didn't look as if the site had been disturbed in any way since the frightful massacre had taken place.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 459 times
"I think we've found everything we can here," says Benjamin. "We should keep moving toward the station."

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:52 am
by Snapper

Randy resumed his tree-notching once the team started moving again. Randy was anxious to get to shelter before nightfall, pointing out the unidentified monster / beast wouldn't need to lift a claw if the team simply froze to death.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:37 am
by Philulhu
1d100+1d100+1d100+1d100+1d100+1d100

There was a feeling of relief at moving away from the clearing where the poor people had been slaughtered but the question of who - or what - was responsible persisted as they moved on through the forest. The only sound to be heard was that of snow compacting or twigs snapping as they weaved their way through the undergrowth, the sky above darkening and the temperature dropping as they went. There were no birds, no animals rustling in the undergrowth, just the noises they made as they cautiously advanced.

As you move forward, you can’t help but get the feeling that you’re being watched…

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:44 am
by Snapper

When he wasn't notching up trees, Randy clutched his M16 in both hands.

"This forest is giving me the heebie-jeebies. I feel like we're being watched."

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:25 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Its quiet...too quiet....don't like it.We are too exposed out here. We need to make th station ASAP!" Gavin says nodding at Randy's words.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 408 times
"Then let's keep going," says Benjamin, leading the way with his M16 at the ready.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:26 am
by Joajackson

"Keep calm and formation, observe all angles you can, dont point your guns towards others, and if you see something that moves, shoot to kill."

While trying to be calm and composed, the woman was considerably panicking inside, she kept her weapon prepared to shoot, with violence and no mercy.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:17 pm
by kabukiman
Boyd has one of the pistol flares in his hand. Sure, he was supposed to keep and only use in the case of a rescue team would appear, but after all he saw, the rescue plane was the least of his concerns...

"The other guys that were massacred didn't have any weapons, we have, so that is an advantage, right?"

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 384 times
"That's true," says Benjamin. "They probably didn't have our training either." It occurs to him that they might have actually had weapons that were taken by whoever or whatever killed them, but he doesn't voice this idea. No sense alarming the others.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:32 pm
by Philulhu
Another tense hour passed as they made their way through the trees but eventually, they began to thin out and the snow-covered rise reappeared before them again, with Exxon Pumping Station #31 on the low summit.

It was surrounded by a high chain link fence topped with barbed wire, with two gates entering the compound on the northwest and southeast sides, near the points where the pipeline passed through. From the briefing, they knew that station comprised half dozen buildings with a large central structure that housed the pumping machinery and radio shack. The other buildings contain personnel quarters, offices, a maintenance area, garage, and general storage.

Even at a distance, it was clear that something wasn’t right. Both gates appeared to be bent and twisted out of place as if pushed or pulled with great force. The buildings seemed to be intact, but the doors on at least two of them were wide open… …

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:02 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 374 times
"We should head for the closer gate and head inside," says Benjamin. "Whatever has happened to that camp must have happened here too. Our first stop should be the radio shack. We need to get a message out."

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Aye and then maybe find some proper first aid for this blasted foot" Gavin chips in as he hobbles along, pistol drawn.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:34 am
by Snapper

Randy looked over to Gavin. "I'm sure they have a first aid cabin or sick bay or something. And we should be able to find something a little better there for splinting your break. However, that's as far as first aid can take it. You need proper medical treatment in a hospital."

"Radio shack sounds good as a first stop. Whatever we do, we need to make sure we have somewhere warmer to sleep tonight. And some food too. Shelter, food, water, warmth. Water's pretty much solved though."
Randy looked at the much hated snow.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am
by kabukiman
"By the way, we shouldn't divide us. Ever. Even if we think that the place is secure: whatevear has attacked, has huge strength."

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:14 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Also somewhere secure, easily defendable or fortified." Gavin adds.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:24 pm
by Joajackson

"I prefer the ability to move quickly. Wathever is out there managed to get a plane down, we will do better being able to scape from it that finding a rathole for it to break trough."

"Also... Both of the exterior doors are broken... I dont like that. One... Thats explainable by one creature, the other? It means more."

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:42 am
by Philulhu
Are you heading over to the pumping station?

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Aye.  

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:42 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:20 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Yes

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:42 am
by Philulhu
The winds had picked up again and almost blew them off their feet when they first set foot out from the shelter of the trees. Trudging through the snow, they were almost at the fence when they heard a cry from behind them!

Turning, they saw a man in a heavy green parka staggering from between the trees, crying and waving frantically in their direction! ”Christ! You’re real! I thought everyone here was dead!” he cried.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:49 am
by Joajackson

The woman pointed her gun towards the man, she thought for a second, maybe this would end up with a creature suddenly appearing and attacking anything that produced noise, considering wathever the fuck happened already, but she suddenly ordering everywhere to be silente would be weird, so she decided to go forth first.

"Stop, dont move. Identify yourself! Exxon or North Wind!?"

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 424 times
"We're not from around here," says Benjamin, holding his M16 ready but not threatening the man with it. "What exactly happened?"

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:50 am
by Philulhu

Seeing Amanda’s rifle pointed at him, the young man stumbled to a halt. ”Don’t shoot!” he cried, hands in the air. “I’m Bill. I’m a videographer with Earth First! I’ve been hiding out there since our camp was attacked! I’m the only one who survived!”

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 411 times
"Survived what?" asks Benjamin. "We saw your camp. What exactly attacked it?"

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:50 pm
by Philulhu
”Some kinda bear, I think,” replied Bill. “I’d gone to get some supplies and I heard the screams so I just hid! I tried to go back but there was so much blood! I don’t think anyone else survived!”

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:02 pm
by Joajackson

"Okey, lets do the normal procedure. If you have any gun, drop it. Benjamín check he has nothing hidden. Not way in hell all of this was done by a bear."

She maintaned the rifle at the seemingly innocent man while thinking.

"Wait, when was your camp attacked?"

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:22 pm
by Philulhu
”I don’t have a gun and the attack happened about a week ago,” said Bill. He glanced behind nervously as if the creature that destroyed his camp might make another appearance, then moved forward with his arms outstretched and his hands in the air.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" So your camp was attacked and everyone massacred a week ago? Where have you been sheltering,?you dont look too worse for wear Why haven’t you called for help?" Gavin asks, eyeing him suspiciously.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:06 am
by Philulhu
Contrary to his photo, he does look (and as he gets closer, smell) like he’s been living rough for a week.

”I hid in a snow cave where we’d stored our suppliers. I could hear the bear - or bears - moving through the woods so I couldn’t risk coming out. It’s only when I saw there were a few of you - and that you’ve got guns - that made me think it might be safe to come out,” he said.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:16 am
by Snapper

Randy had his M16 carefully pointed at the ground. "Hold on everyone, fingers off triggers, let's just be real careful."

"Earth First is a peaceful protest group. This guy could be telling the truth. You don't want to survive what we just have only to go on trial for murder. Let's give him a chance."

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:23 am
by Philulhu
”Can we get outa here?!” Bill said fearfully, looking back over his shoulder. “I don’t want to be out here if that bear comes back, even if you have got guns!”

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:05 am
by Snapper

Randy tried to remember the very little training he'd had with the RCAF on handling prisoners. "OK, clasp your hands on top of your head and walk towards us, don't run. Don't make any sudden moves. At any point if we can't see both your hands, there's a good chance someone will shoot you. We're going to need to search you when you get to us too, just to be safe."

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:45 am
by Philulhu
”Ok, ok,” said Bill, who placed his hands on his head and carefully stepped forward through the heavy snow, stopping a few yards short of the party, waiting to be searched.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:16 pm
by kabukiman
"Do you have any idea what happened in this base? Because this wasn't made by bears".

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:02 pm
by Snapper

Randy looked over to Benjamin. "Ben, you happy to cover him while I search him?"

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Yeah Bill what did you film out here? Did you get what happened to the station? Before or after this shit show?"

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:49 am
by Philulhu
”Just us setting up camp and talking about what we planned to do. We were gunna handcuff ourselves to the plant but we never got there… we got attacked first…” said Bill. At the mention of the attack, he closed his eyes and shuddered, his hands gripping the top of his head, taking deep breathes so as to stop himself passing out.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Benjamin nods to Randy and covers him. "I killed a bear earlier," he says, "but there may be more than one. The bear was wounded already when I shot it. It only took one bullet, but I hit it in the right place."

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:57 am
by Snapper

Randy left his M16 with the team and slowly approached the stranger, Bill, careful not to get in Ben's line of sight.

"OK, I'm going to search you. Just keep your hands on top of your head and I'll have this done in no time."

Randy's plan is to stay out of Ben's way so Ben can cover Bill. Randy will circle around behind Ben and start searching him from behind.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 am
by Philulhu
Bill kept his hands on the top of his head as Randy circled behind him. ”Just to be clear, I’ve got a camp knife in my right-hand pants pocket,” he said. ”It’s sheathed, so it’s no danger.”

Randy was able to recover the knife without a problem, some cheap mass-market model made of lower-grade steel that would struggle to hold an edge. From the pack worn on Bill’s back, he recovered some packets of freeze-dried foods, a Zippo lighter, a canteen and a hip flask.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:41 am
by Joajackson

Considering Randy and Benjamín were dealing with the protester, Amanda looked arround, just in case anything would try to sneak on them while they were distracted.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 414 times
"Have you seen any other people around here?" asks Benjamin. "Any survivors from the pumping station?"

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:13 am
by BoyBlunder78
" If possible we should have a wee look at tge video recorfing we found. Might see summit on it.? suggestGavin.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:15 am
by Snapper

Randy kept the knife but returned the backpack and other items to Bill."We're not here to steal from you. I'll give you the knife back once the authorities arrive."

"He doesn't have any other weapons on him,"
Randy called to the others. With that, he went and retrieved his M16, during the snow and ice off it.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:02 pm
by kabukiman
"So, we continue our inspection the base? Because I'm not interested to stay much longer outside and attract any attention with our voices,"

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:03 pm
by Philulhu
Bill nodded vigorously. ”Yeah, let’s get out of the cold!”

OK, what’s your approach to the station? Are you going through the front gate? Circling around to the gate on the other side? Climbing the fence? Going together or splitting into two groups?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm thinking the front gate, unless someone else has a better idea. We should stick together and head directly for the radio shack.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 am
by Snapper
Happy with Mr H's plan. We definitely do not have the element of surprise. If anyone in there is paying attention, they should know we're about.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:09 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Seems a good plan to me

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:12 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Makes the most sense.  

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:15 am
by Lost_King
OOC:   I also do not object to the plan. Nor does Harold, for that matter. He’s not as young as he used to be, and all the hiking (if it can even be called that) from the previous few days has left him stiff and tired, so he doesn’t have enough mental energy to argue/speculate about the best course of action.  

Harold is trying to keep his distance from Bill and eying him suspiciously, still not entirely sure what to make of this stranger.

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:15 pm
by Philulhu
You’ve arrived at your destination. We’re continuing here: Exxon Pumping Station #31.