Page 1 of 1

The Debrief

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:05 pm
by Philulhu
Here’s the place for all of your out of context chat.

Re: The Debrief

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:22 am
by Joajackson
Well, hello to everyone who participates.

Do we just select pre-gens or we try to coordinate a bit about which to select? What you all think?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:04 am
by Lost_King
I think we should coordinate a little bit. Obviously, we’ll need someone good at fighting, someone good at talking, and someone good at researching. The mechanics are also likely necessary roles. As far as I’m aware, we’ll be able to utilize these roles most if we pick the ones that we already know something about. I see that one of the pre-gens is the designated medic. I personally think that I shouldn’t be the medic, since I’m new and don’t have a good feel for how much health is enough versus how much needs immediate attending. I am willing to be the electrical engineer if that’s a helpful role, especially since he has skills with computers and cameras - both of which are apparently important (according to the books, at least).

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:20 am
by Snapper
Hi Team!

I think there is no EDU stat because this is possibly based on the Delta Green CoC supplement, which doesn't use EDU either (ditto APP). You don't need to reverse engineer to calculate a stat. :D

I'm happy to play anything, although I'd rather not play the boss lady (mostly because I don't want to nominally be in charge of the team, partly because I'm lazy and free-time-challenged).

For preference, I'd nominate to play the security guy, Shepard, failing that the medic, Booth. But if anyone wants either, go for it, I'm flex.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd think all the characters are coming on the mission, and any not chosen would be NPCs. I'd like to play Benjamin Shepherd, but I'm open to playing someone else if somebody else wants him. I could play Amanda Drake instead, but I have the same reasons not to that you do.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:46 am
by Lost_King
Alright! Harold Cain would be my ideal choice. I love computer science, especially involving old computers, so the electrical engineer would be fun to play. I probably shouldn’t play Amanda Drake, because I wouldn’t know what I was doing.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:51 am
by Philulhu
If you want to play Amanda Drake then go for it, is my advice. Ex-military, leading a part-civilian team? You can almost guarantee they won’t follow orders most of the time anyway, particularly if things start unravelling… ;)

A range of skills is going to be useful.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:14 pm
by Snapper
Done deal, Mr H! You take Shepard.

That being the case, I'm happy to bag Booth the Medic, if no one else minds.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:18 pm
by Joajackson
Okey, I think I will take the Amanda the Leader.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, sounds good to me!

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:10 pm
by Philulhu
So, we have:

Joajackson - Amanda Drake
Mr Handy - Benjamin Shepherd
Snapper - Randolph Booth
Lost_King - Harold Cain

We have enough to start but I’ll chase the others over the weekend and see if they still want in.

I’ll set up a player characters thread so you can copy over your portrait/stats. (Mr Handy, do you have a template of all the stats? I think the last one I did was for Servants and that was 6th edition).

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
I don't have a blank template, just my completed character sheets, but those can be copied and edited to make a blank one.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:08 am
by Philulhu
Ok, thanks. I’ll take a crack at that when I’m home later.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:56 pm
by Snapper
FYI - 7th Ed character sheet default skills:

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:14 pm
by Philulhu
Much appreciated, Snapper.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:44 am
by BoyBlunder78
Hi, well I've eventually caught up with everything. It was a toss up between the pilot or the wilderness guide for me so I chose the guide as he has a fairly decent cross section of skills.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:44 am
by Philulhu
Great stuff. Potentially we have a couple more players but it won’t hurt to start. Look out for a new thread as soon as I get chance to post it this week 🙂

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:48 pm
by kabukiman
Hi! I'm playing also as Boyner the corp representative. He is quite a lazy guy, so he won't be giving order to anyone ;)

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 pm
by Philulhu
Something to think about before you start. You’re going into the Canadian wilderness so you will be provided with survival equipment (tents, rations, water canteens, snow shoes, climbing equipment [good for 150 feet], survival kits [flare gun + 3 flares, compass, knife, folding shovel, waterproof matches], basic first aid kit). You’ll also be kitted out with suitable walking boots, weatherproof trousers and parkas, suitable for the conditions.

You may also take some personal possessions but you’re flying in and space/weight is limited. For the security staff, that’s 20kg including weapon(s) and ammunition. For everyone else, the limit is 10kg.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:46 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 pm Something to think about before you start. You’re going into the Canadian wilderness so you will be provided with survival equipment (tents, rations, water canteens, snow shoes, climbing equipment [good for 150 feet], survival kits [flare gun + 3 flares, compass, knife, folding shovel, waterproof matches], basic first aid kit). You’ll also be kitted out with suitable walking boots, weatherproof trousers and parkas, suitable for the conditions.

You may also take some personal possessions but you’re flying in and space/weight is limited. For the security staff, that’s 20kg including weapon(s) and ammunition. For everyone else, the limit is 10kg.
Do we then put equipment in the player character's channel?

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 pm
by Philulhu
Yes, that would be ideal. Just amend your post with your character details so it’s all together.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:06 am
by Lost_King
Philulhu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 pm climbing equipment [good for 150 feet]
Would the climbing equipment include 150 feet of rope, or 300 feet (enough to belay for 150 feet with)? Do we have belaying equipment? Also, would the climbing equipment include pitons? If so, how many per person? Would we have a hammer, or would we have to use our shovels to drive them into the environment?

I hope I’m not over complicating things; it’s fine if you don’t have an answer.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy
How heavy are the weapons and ammo we already have?

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:45 am
by Snapper
I presume Randy would get a better grade first aid kit to ply his saw-bones trade with?

"I'll need the amputation knife please..."

Also, welcome Kabukiman!

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:38 pm
by Philulhu
Climbing equipment: Not being a climber, I’m not sure how to answer that. If you were trying to get inexperienced climbers up and over an obstacle, what would you use? If that’s a belaying kit, then go with that. You can assume you have as many pitons as would be appropriate for that length of rope, plus a hammer to knock them in.

Weapons & Ammo: Assume you have none, so you can choose from the weapons table on p401 of the rulebook. Some sample weights: Glock 17 (loaded - 915g), 12-gauge pump action shotgun (loaded - 4kg), M16a2 (loaded - 4kg), HK MP5 (loaded - 2.5kg). I wouldn’t expect non-security staff to be touting automatic weapons but a hunting rifle for a wilderness expert seems reasonable, for example.

First Aid Kit: Your basic kit skill includes this. A military grade kit is available, which will include the contents listed on page 229 of this document (issued in 1989 but you can assume it was just catching up with whatever was already being used in the field).

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:41 am
by Lost_King
If the investigators have an opportunity to train for this, they would likely have belaying supplies. It would be likely something that was taught to investigators before they went on the mission, as it would be about an hour long class. Assuming that a piton could be used as a makeshift pulley (threading the rope through the piton’s hole, but not tying it). The only unsafe climbing would be initially putting the piton at the top. If climbing individually, someone (either the first or last, depending on the situation) would have to belay themselves, which is less safe. In order to climb 150 feet while being belayed, someone would need to have at least 300 feet of rope. Not everyone would need a rope, but if everyone has a full set of climbing equipment, that’s likely the length of rope that they would have. Additionally, everyone would have a harness, pitons, a hammer, a chisel, two climbing grade carabiners, and a Sticht plate. The only heavy equipment is the rope, which would weight a whole twenty pounds. My guess is that the investigators would each bring a rope, but they would leave most of the ropes in a vehicle (or at a home base if they establish one). As part of their training, everyone would learn how to make barrel knots and figure eights (with a retrace), which are the only two knots needed for safe climbing.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:10 am
by Snapper
Fingers crossed we don't have to do any climbing!

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Which rulebook is that?

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:18 am
by Philulhu
Thanks for the explanation, Lost_King 🙂

Mr Handy - that’s from the 7th edition rulebook.

A couple of other things.

Content Warning: It’s Call of Cthulhu and I think we all know what we’re expecting but for clarity, this will involve violence, body horror, swearing and mental ill-health. If you have any concerns about any of those, please raise them in this thread or message me privately, if you prefer.

Pacing: With six players, the pace of this game will probably be slower than my other games where I probably post most days. I’m aiming for 2-3 posts per week with this one but we’ll see how the rhythm of the game develops. I’ll try to give everyone a chance to post (particularly if it’s a decision/action that directly affects your PC) but if necessary, I may NPC your character to keep the game ticking over. Again, if you have any concerns, please comment or PM me.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:44 am
by Snapper
I'm assuming our security PCs actually have permission to lug M16s and sidearms about, despite the Canadian firearms laws of the era. (Which, like Australia's, tend to be more restrained than - say - the US State of Texas.)

Getting John Carpenter's "The Thing" vibes...

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:57 am
by Philulhu
That’s a good point.

I think I’ll present this as my counter argument - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExxonMobil#Controversies - and suggest that just because they’re operating in a foreign country, it doesn’t mean that Exxon executives believe (a) that American laws don’t apply, and (b) it’s their pumping station and they can do as they damn well please, anyway… 😉

Edit: I don’t think fully automatic weapons were banned until after the events of our investigation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_ ... rearm_laws.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:28 am
by Snapper
*LAUGH*

Gold!

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:47 am
by Philulhu
I read Quora far too much. It’s full of stories of people (not just Americans) who believe they carry the laws of their own country with them when they travel… 😬

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:44 am
by Snapper
Oh dear... :D They all must be so surprised when they discover it doesn't work out that way.

On the upside, Randy's equipment is sorted I think. Up to 17kg, he is suitably fleshed out with strange 1980s personal effects.

The Leatherman multi-tool wasn't invented until '83 so the emergency tracheotemy will have to be performed with the Swiss Army Pocket knife (the corkscrew option would seem the ideal choice).

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:54 am
by Philulhu
You don’t have to be exact but I’m assuming the other 3kg will be his first aid kit? Or were you serious about Randy attempting all life-saving with his Swiss Army knife?

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:27 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I'll get my equipment sorted tomorrow, been snowed under at work.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
No problem, I’ll hopefully get the game underway at the weekend, if I’m not tired up moving two of my kids to Uni/a new house respectively. So far, neither have confirmed their plans… 😬

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:07 am
by Lost_King
Looking back on it, I don’t think you don’t need to double back the rope with a sticht plate, so rope would only be 160 feet (about 10 pounds), leaving just enough room to tie a knot at both ends (which eliminates any problems with wearing down the rope with a makeshift pulley). Investigators would also only need one carabiner each.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
I've also been very busy, so it'll take me some time before I can pick my equipment, but I should be able to do it by the weekend.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:07 am
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:54 am You don’t have to be exact but I’m assuming the other 3kg will be his first aid kit? Or were you serious about Randy attempting all life-saving with his Swiss Army knife?

Happy with the 3kg being first aid kit.

Having said that, Randy is convinced of the life saving merits of his Swiss Army Knife. The rest of the team should be very relieved.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:11 am
by BoyBlunder78
Snapper wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:07 am
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:54 am You don’t have to be exact but I’m assuming the other 3kg will be his first aid kit? Or were you serious about Randy attempting all life-saving with his Swiss Army knife?

Happy with the 3kg being first aid kit.

Having said that, Randy is convinced of the life saving merits of his Swiss Army Knife. The rest of the team should be very relieved.
Don't forget a biro, or other hollow tube for those tracheotomy or punctured lungs.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:20 am
by Philulhu
There’ll be one of those in the first aid kit 🙂

A couple of other bits of kit that you might want to consider:

Ice Axe
Map & compass (too early for GPS - I checked)
Survival knife

Edit: just realised compass was included in the standard kit everyone has.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:14 pm
by kabukiman
So, nobody is taking a flame-thrower? Just remembering "The thing"...

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:58 pm
by Philulhu
At 30kg, I’m going to say “no”… (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_flamethrower) unless you’re the Cat, in which case you can chop off a leg to make up for the extra weight.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Nobody said it has to be your own leg...

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:00 am
by Snapper
Randy's Rules of First Aid #27:

Next time, remember to take the cartridge, spring and stuff out of the biro before inserting it into a punctured lung or tracheotomy throat hole.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:15 am
by Philulhu
And we’re underway… Chapter 1. Rescue Plan.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:14 pm
by Snapper
Oops. For some idiot reason, I thought it was 1982.

Will have to revise my soundtrack and album lists.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:55 pm
by Philulhu
Take your time… 😉

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:19 am
by Snapper
Soundtrack revision complete. Note to self: start wearing the damn glasses.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:06 am
by Lost_King
I am adding a small camera, a sketchbook, a mechanical pencil, a metal ruler, and a triangle to my character’s equipment. This is based on the skills in photography and technical drawing that he has.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:43 am
by Snapper
Needless to say, and with apologies to Lost King who gave a decent explanation earlier in the Debrief, I know nothing about climbing in the RW. I hate heights. Randy apparently loves them, and good for him.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:22 pm
by Philulhu
My wife can’t stand heights, so I arranged for her to do this 🙂

https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/velocity

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:04 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Awww, your all heart :lol:

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
We had discussed it in advance. Well, she said she liked the look of it but didn’t know she could handle it because of the heights, so I bought it for her as a Xmas present.

She doesn’t like heights but she’s flown a glider, a Tiger Moth and even a Spitfire so she doesn’t let things put her off 🙂

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:42 pm
by Snapper
Sweet MoG!!

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
Life’s too short not to do these things (which probably explains why my credit card bill was more than I earned this month…😬)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:44 pm
by Snapper
Just to clarify, having failed the CON roll, is the penalty dice for the next CON save or for any next roll for any skill?

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:42 pm
by Philulhu
Any roll you make (just not a spurious one 😉)

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:34 am
by Snapper
Gotcha! 👍

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:34 pm
by Snapper
Oh good grief.

The party could be dead long before a Cthulhoid monstrosity even waggles a tentacle at them.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
Snapper wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:34 pm The party could be dead badly maimed long before a Cthulhoid monstrosity even waggles a tentacle at them.
FTFY 😏

(You probably wouldn’t die from a fall down the ice wall. Probably.)

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:17 am
by Snapper
👍👍

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:54 am
by Snapper
Let's get all Randy's bad dice rolls out of the way now, before he starts providing first aid.

Assuming he lives long enough to get off the ice.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:10 am
by Snapper
Mr K for the win!! 👍

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:23 pm
by BoyBlunder78
All hail King K 8-)

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:04 am
by Snapper
I'm assuming that Randy has another penalty die after failing his next CON roll?

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:45 pm
by Philulhu
I’m retconning that bit as we still had a couple of players to go, one of whom (thankfully!) managing to sort out the ropes for your descent.

For the time being, ignore the need to roll for CON until I let you know otherwise.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:26 am
by Lost_King
Philulhu wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:33 pm (You probably wouldn’t die from a fall down the ice wall. Probably.)
Anyone wearing climbing gear would only fall a maximum of a couple feet before the Sticht plate caught them. It operates on a spring, so rapidly moving down the rope for any reason would lock it up immediately. Just hope our equipment doesn’t break after it has to inevitably catch each of the inexperienced climbers at least once as they descend the wall of straight ice.

Of course, that’s assuming we remember to use the harness and Sticht plate.

Regardless, the real danger could be from the piton coming loose when someone puts their full weight on the rope. Or pulling a muscle on their way down. Or losing their grip and swinging on the rope until they hit their head on the ice wall. That would be bad.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:44 am
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:45 pm I’m retconning that bit as we still had a couple of players to go, one of whom (thankfully!) managing to sort out the ropes for your descent.

For the time being, ignore the need to roll for CON until I let you know otherwise.

👍

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:46 am
by BoyBlunder78
Sooooooo.......well.......thats interesting.......er.....any pre-gens stowed away on the plane? Still alive? Maybe slept through the whole thing?.......asking for a friend..... :cry:

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:59 pm
by Philulhu
Was that a second 100? Let’s see how Gavin fares with the fall, first! :o

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:02 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Yes. 2(Two) 100's in a row.....as it goes...I dont fancy Gavins chances.... :(

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:09 pm
by Joajackson
Welp, I think I jinxed the posibility of gavin surviving

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:44 am
by Snapper
First off, I doff my virtual cap to a double "00". The bards will sing of this.

Second, just read the 7th Ed First Aid rules. Oh oh...

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:25 am
by Snapper
In regards to the Medicine skill in 7th Ed:

- Randy does have some skill but not a lot (40%).

- Takes an hour per person.

- Must be done within 24 hours or else a Hard skill check is required.

- Making the roll in a dirty environment (like outdoors) requires a Hard skill check.

I think we would be better to wait until we're indoors if we can get indoors within 24 hours.

Addendum:
Oh GM, any chance those Extreme and Hard successes with the First Aid rolls have helped a bit with the number of HP back...?

Not to mention Gavin and the crit...

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:24 pm
by BoyBlunder78
All hail Snapper, The Great and Powerful !!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:03 am
by Snapper
👍 Glad to be of service.

Addendum:
Sorry Harold!

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:39 am
by Philulhu
Ok, for your first aid rolls, as follows:

Regular success - recover 1hp
Hard success - recover 2hp
Extreme success - recover 2hp and in the first aid kit you find an inflatable plastic boot that protects and holds Gavin’s broken ankle in place.

Gavin’s ambulatory but anything that involves movement will include a penalty die (which will affect CON checks for weather conditions).

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:47 am
by BoyBlunder78
Yaaay. Moon boot!!!! Was wondering how he was gonna get a splint.....

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:48 am
by BoyBlunder78
Yaaay. Moon boot!!!! Was wondering how he was gonna get a splint.....

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:47 pm
by Snapper
Excellent stuff!

OK, Gavin don't forget you get 2HP back plus the boot.

Amanda, Benjamin and Boyd, that's now 2HP back for each of you.

Harold, you do get thoughts and prayers.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:51 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hey Harold, worked for me...look how I worked out...... 8-)

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
I actually wore moon boots in the 1980s.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Pictures or it never happened......

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
We didn't have cell phone with cameras in those days. My parents had a Polaroid, but I'm not sure if they took a picture at the time, or if they still have them if they did.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:45 am
by BoyBlunder78
Ah the 80's simpler tines.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:05 pm
by Snapper
For Mr H, Doctor Who fan extraordinaire, I can't find your photos but I can present:

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:10 pm
by Lost_King
Snapper wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:47 pm Harold, you do get thoughts and prayers.
Thoughts and prayers. The finest medical care available. Yay. That’ll definitely help me if we run into whatever thing is out there.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Snapper wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:05 pm For Mr H, Doctor Who fan extraordinaire, I can't find your photos but I can present:

I've heard about that book before, from some of the bonus materials in the Season 8 or 9 classic Doctor Who Blu-ray collections that I saw recently, but I've never seen a copy of it.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:33 am
by Snapper
I actually owned it in my youth. But alas, my folks threw it away many years ago. Ah well.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:35 am
by Philulhu
We’re all heading back to the main thread as the gang gets back together 🙂

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:26 am
by Snapper
Randy, you twenty pound weakling!

It's lucky there's snow all over the place, or someone would be kicking sand in your face.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:47 am
by Philulhu
:lol:

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:14 am
by Snapper
Amanda does, in fact, already have Randy's M16. She may want to redistribute at some point...

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:19 am
by Joajackson
I would say she does automatically, not sure if it Is necesary to add another action post for that, and all of that

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:07 pm
by Snapper
Well, Randy is staying on brand.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:37 am
by Snapper
Merry Xmas!!

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
Perfect 🤣
Merry Christmas 🎅 🎄 🎊🎄

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 pm
by kabukiman
A merry christmas for all of you!

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:40 am
by Philulhu
Merry Christmas, everyone! 🙂

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:36 am
by Snapper
Merry Xmas! 🎄

(And love the Snoopy pic...)

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:45 am
by Joajackson
Merry christmas

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:17 pm
by Snapper
HNY from early on the date line!

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
Happy New Year!

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:32 am
by Philulhu
Happy new year!

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:31 am
by Snapper
Star Trek fans, this is making me think of the Galileo 7 episode from ST:TOS.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:20 pm
by Snapper
True Detective Season 4, episodes 1 and 2 just watched and I feel like it's in the same unhappy universe as The Pipeline.

Highly recommend your watching. Been excellent so far.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:21 am
by Philulhu
Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to be on Amazon Prime (which is the only service I pay for).

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:27 am
by Snapper
See pages 114 - 118 of the rules for the detailed explanation. Summary below.

I own these rules in hardcopy and pdf so a small excerpt shouldn't be any breach of copyright:

The M16 doesn't do full auto (multiple volleys). It can be used to fire 1 or 2 single shots, same rules as for a handgun. Or it can fire a burst which is basically 1 volley of 3 shots.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you! I presume I get a bonus die due to point blank range. The problem is, with a burst of only 3 shots, I'll only hit with one of them if I succeed but don't get an extreme success. I'm better off firing two single shots, as long as I get both of them off before the bear attacks. I had the weapon ready in my hands at the start of the round, so as long as my DEX beats the bear's, I get both shots first, and it sounds like I do.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:04 am
by Snapper
Best as I understand it, that is correct.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:42 am
by Philulhu
I’m happy with that.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:48 am
by Snapper
Is it possible to shoot at the beastie without danger of clipping Benjamin by mistake? Would closing with the fracas reduce the danger to Benjamin of getting shot by mistake?

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:27 pm
by Philulhu
Thanks to the miracle of modern automatic weapons, the bear is no more. It took catastrophic damage with the first shot 🙄

It is an ex-bear. It is pining for the fjords (or whatever it is bears pine for).

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:31 pm
by Snapper
Excellent, be embarrassing for shaky Randy to have capped Benjamin by mistake.

This bear has expired, bereft of life he has ceased to be, he's gone to meet his maker.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:30 am
by BoyBlunder78
No.....he's stunned.....

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:43 am
by Philulhu
Would you like me to bring him back to life? 😉

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd rather that didn't happen. ;)

Since I killed it with the first shot, does that mean I didn't fire the second and get to save the bullet?

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:48 am
by Snapper
A) He's just tired and shagged out after a prolonged growl...

B) That first M16 (5.56 calibre) bullet, was it by any chance made of silver...?

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:50 am
by Philulhu
Sorry, both bullets were used as they were fired in quick succession. Benjamin really wouldn’t have had time to make a judgement call as to how effective his first shot had been.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:40 am
by Snapper
Is Benjamin's injury first-aid-able or is it too internal for Randy?

(Now may be a bad time to get stitched up by Randy, what with his hypothermic uncontrollable shaking...)

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:07 am
by Philulhu
It’s mainly bruising and a couple of scratches. It can be treated with fur-st aid (a bear-related pun, there 😉)

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:59 am
by Snapper
Sorry, accidentally created two posts instead of one, somehow. Ignore the one that says error. Mr H may be able to delete it.

Also, very stuffing Luke in the tauntaun.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:05 am
by Philulhu
It’s gone (just like your chances of survival).

Just my little Keeper’s joke there! :D

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:30 pm
by Snapper
Be fair to say Randy's not feeling too optimistic about the party's chances himself right now.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:14 am
by kabukiman
Sorry, I have been very busy last week.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:42 am
by Philulhu
No problem 🙂

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:34 am
by Snapper
Well that went badly.

Resilience is evidently not one of Randy's key assets.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:36 am
by Philulhu
On the plus side, you haven’t gone insane, otherwise you’d be running off through the trees… …

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:42 am
by Snapper
Shrieking "Tekelili! Tekelili!" at the top of his lungs, and looking for a pond to bathe in...

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:45 am
by Snapper
Good work Harold!

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:22 am
by kabukiman
Just saw the movie black mountain side; it is just like watching what happened to the first team in the base :D

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:34 pm
by kabukiman
Really? A roll of 46% when I have 45 of con?

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:37 pm
by Philulhu
You can always spend a point of luck to make it a success.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:15 am
by kabukiman
I'l do it!

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:40 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I was dying to put, "Except man....." says Gavin as he looks into he camera. :lol:

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:53 pm
by Philulhu
:o

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:16 am
by Lost_King
Hey guys, I’m really sorry about being gone this past week. I’m in a musical and I have honestly just not had the time to think… They call it “hell week” for a reason.

My entire life has been affected, and I’m sorry that you guys got caught in the crossfire. Anyways, I’ve only got two more performances until it’s done, so I should be back to being as available as possible by Sunday.

I also have to apologize for not giving you guys advance notice. I was going to try to keep up with everything, and I underestimated the level of distracted that I would experience.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:33 am
by Snapper
All good! 👍

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:37 am
by Philulhu
No problem. The scene was pivoting around Harold so I didn’t want to hold up the game.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
No worries 8-)

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:05 pm
by Philulhu
Also, what performance is it? 🙂

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
No problem.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:25 am
by Lost_King
It was “Annie.” I was Franklin Roosevelt.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:30 am
by Snapper
My general observation is that a week camping "out bush" makes a flushing toilet and a roll of toilet paper seem worth their weight in gold.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:50 am
by Philulhu
We’ve reached peak roleplaying - someone’s remembered to go to the toilet… :lol:

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:19 am
by BoyBlunder78
:lol: :D

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:15 pm
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:05 am
by Snapper
1980s tech! Green writing on a black screen? Punch cards?

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:53 am
by Snapper
There's another gross dead body in this room, BTW...

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:18 am
by Philulhu
For the purposes of everyone not going too insane, I’ll assume that someone turned the chair around so the corpse wasn’t too obvious, otherwise you’d never get Amanda in there…

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:25 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hi everyone, I'm currently in holiday and this is probaly the last Internet I can get for a week......soooo if I go missing for a while feel free to play as me....hopefully I'll be a able to ste...borrows someone's Internet....

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 pm
by Philulhu
Enjoy your holiday :)

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:51 am
by Snapper
Just to clarify:

The scenario is set in October 1986 I think. The emails are dated September 1985. Is that correct or a typo? If it's correct, they're talking about events from slightly over a year earlier.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:45 am
by Philulhu
Balls!

That’s a typo. The emails should be dated the same year, so around a month before you arrived on the scene.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:14 pm
by Snapper
Roger dodger, all good.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:03 am
by kabukiman
Hi!
Until day 11 I won't be able to play. Feel free to play my char.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:56 am
by Philulhu
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:10 am
by Snapper
Posting from a snow-free climate, I have no real clue about snow cats. How many people can fit in 1? From pictures on the Internet, it looks like maybe 3 or 4?

Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:44 pm
by Philulhu
There are two seats up-front and a bench seat in the back. This isn’t the exact model but it gives an idea of the layout: https://www.ebay.com/itm/156006228205

Four can travel in comfort, five will be a squeeze. Six will be a real squeeze, meaning any attempt to do anything in the back will incur a penalty die.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:52 pm
by Snapper
Ta! 👍

So no romantic shenanigans in the back seat then. Oh well. 😕