Ch.1 Rescue Plan

October 1986. Contact with Exxon Pumping Station #31 in British Columbia has been lost and a rescue team has been assembled.

The environmental activist group, North Wind, had threatened to bring operations to a halt. Could they be behind this sudden communication failure, or is something else going on?

Moderator: Philulhu

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Ch.1 Rescue Plan

Post by kabukiman »

"I just got the flare gun and some rations, Maybe building a shelter should be our priority? As long as the weather dont gets worst, in a day or two, someone will probably came to rescue us"- says Boyer.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by Joajackson »

Hearing what everyone has with them, it seemed they really were in a terrible state for surviving anything.

"¡We will divide in groups! None of us has a map or a compass. Whoever has any idea of a place to move and get shelter, indicate so, he and Benjamin go together. The rest try to get down to the plane. I will remain here as a middle point, Benjamin leave your climbing equipment."

"Randy, no animal will be near a crashed plane, leave your M16-A2 with me and take the climbing equipment. Is your job to keep the other safe, clear?"

"I think Gavin should go with Benjamin, if no one has any better idea. The rest down to the plane."

Now, she had no idea if this was a good idea, but as far as she knew, no diving the party wasnt a rule for survivalism in the wild, so better if they worked in the most tasks at the same time, and she had to order people arround as the security leader in a crisis situation.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gavin shakes his head at the mention of reaching the plane and moves over to Benjamin looking around the surrounding area for any suitable places for shelter.
OOC:   What roll would it be to locate a good place to build a shelter?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
Benjamin leaves the climbing gear with Amanda and goes with Gavin as ordered. He looks around, but he's sure Gavin is more likely to find something. Benjamin is just with him to protect him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Just want to find out about the survival kit which will decide what further item Randy has rescued. I'll post after that.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Survival kit: I treated each item as individual when working out what people managed to grab from the plane.

Gavin: Your survival skill is for temperate forests so not ideal. If you use that you would roll with a penalty dice. Alternatively, you could use Natural World.

Clothing: You all have your arctic weather gear on.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   As his extra item, Randy will bag his .45 automatic.  

Randy looked doubtful as he handed over the M16. "Boss, I appreciate the company has put you in charge of the station investigation, but this is a whole new deal. We could die of exposure out here. And I mean tonight. I've done a lot of Scout camps in the snow, and I'm being paid to advise you."

"No-one should be alone. Pairs at least in case something goes wrong. And I'm your medic. Everyone should be with me, in case anyone gets hurt."

"Can I suggest everyone gets down to tree level, we get shelter for the night set up and a fire if possible. Then tomorrow we find out if we can get to the plane. Lot of our stuff is pretty hard to break and pretty waterproof, if we can find it."

"Also, anyone wonder what happened to the plane? Did it get shot?"

Randy presented this as a calm and reasoned argument, not sounding angry or aggressive.

Can Randy make a Survival (Arctic) roll?  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gavin scans the horizon. Whether it's the shock still kicking in or the weather he cant quite make out anything particularly ideal. Shaking his head, he hears Randy's suggestion and says "Thats the first sensible thing ive heard all day, come in Benjamin lets head over to the edge of the tree line".
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Amanda did not appreciate having her authority be opposed, but accepted at least to Randy's proposal. She really did not like Gavin's words, and there were no buts about it, it was clear the time until they got rescued was going to be rough.

She at least had a weapon now, just to be sure.

"The plane couldnt have been shot down. No one is shooting at planes here, and I doubt anything hitting us would have left us mostly intact."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
"Let's go," says Benjamin, following Gavin to the treeline.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

It was clear that the treeline would offer more shelter but it was also clear it was going to take an hour or so to get there, given they would be crossing thick snow with only one pair of snowshoes between them.

Yes, please make a survival roll. If the skill’s appropriate, then you don’t need to ask.

Gavin’s roll was unsuccessful, which wasn’t entirely surprising, given the disparity in environments.

Happy for you to make Navigation rolls to try to determine the best way to go. The base skill is 10% if you don’t have it listed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Benjamin is able to get his bearings, thanks in part to the fact that he knows moss only grows on the north side of trees.

Navigate roll (35% skill) to get his bearings:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

OOC:   sorry about the natural world roll, dice roller seemed to be a roll behind. Another fail. Gavin really living upto his Wildrness guide vocation.....  
Once again Gavin casts his eyes over the current surroundings.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

Navigate: 10%
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%L()45%

Fail.  

1d%10%

Fail.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Perhaps it was the shock of the crash landing but Randy was struggling to gather his thoughts and pull together a coherent plan. Heading for the treeline seemed like the best plan, however.

Benjamin had spoken to the pilot during the journey so knew that following the river to the north would lead them to the pumping station. He wasn’t sure how far, however. The pilot had said they would pass over the station “in a few minutes” so he estimated that they were a good few miles away, given the disparity between their walking speed and the plane’s airspeed.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Randy looked at the sky and tried to judge the position of the sun. He did his best not to look anxious but the crash was still on his mind.

"That poor pilot..."

"We really want to be below the tree line and have camp set up well before dark. Somewhere sheltered if possible. Hopefully, we can find some dry wood down there too for a fire."

"I wonder how good one of those flare guns would be at starting a fire? You'd think a flare could just about set even snow on fire."

"On the upside, dehydration won't be an issue."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
"If we have enough time, we could make it to the pumping station before it gets dark," says Benjamin. "We just have to follow the river to the north, which is that way." He points it out to the others. "The pilot had told me we'd pass over it in a few minutes, so we're a good few miles away, considering we're going to be a lot slower on foot. That pumping station's going to be better shelter than anything else we're likely to find."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

"We should try to move the farthest we can to the north, if we havent found the pumping station when dark starts, we shelter down and wait for tomorrow. And we wont use the flares to start forest fires."

Amanda declared, still acting as leader.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"I'm happy to go any direction you say, as long as we get below the tree line by the fastest route first, and as long as we go by the plane wreckage on the way. If we can get to the plane."

"And as long as we allow time to set up camp today, well before it gets dark. I guess we'll have to make a decision at some point about how far we think the pumping station is. If we can walk there this afternoon, great."

"But as far as I know, none of us has a flashlight, do we? So if anyone gets lost in the dark, we won't be able to find them. And they could easily die in this environment."

Return to “The Pipeline”