Ch.1 Rescue Plan

October 1986. Contact with Exxon Pumping Station #31 in British Columbia has been lost and a rescue team has been assembled.

The environmental activist group, North Wind, had threatened to bring operations to a halt. Could they be behind this sudden communication failure, or is something else going on?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Ch.1 Rescue Plan

Post by Philulhu »

Assuming you’re still having problems with the dice roller, here’s Amanda’s spot hidden (40%) rolls:

#1 1d100
#2 1d100

That’s one successful roll and one failed, so please choose one item of equipment and I’ll randomly determine the other.

Do you want to go for a third attempt?
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:26 am
Hi all, I think a bit of clarification is required. A successful roll allows you to grab one piece of equipment per successful roll i.e. a rifle, a tent, a camera, an ice axe. Your characters have just been through a plane crash and you can assume that everything has been thrown about, including things that were in your backpacks.

And just a hint about that potential third roll. I see no one took it up, presumably out of concern that they’d follow the plane over the edge. I’m not planning on killing anyone off just yet, but there is a chance you may get hurt if you go for it.

PS. Don’t forget to record any successful skill checks.

Lost_King: if you haven’t used the dice roller before, you should hopefully see it as an option below the ‘save draft’, ‘Preview’ and ‘Submit’ buttons at the bottom of the text entry box. Your roll donation for skills will be 1d100 and once you’ve clicked the ‘Roll the dice’ button, you’ll see roll ID and a green arrow which will insert it into your text e.g. 1d100
Spoiler:
OK, Randy's game, I'll amend the earlier post accordingly.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Thanks 🙂

Edit: If you’ve gone for your third roll, please choose a third piece of equipment and make a DEX check as your exit.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:51 am
Thanks 🙂

Edit: If you’ve gone for your third roll, please choose a third piece of equipment and make a DEX check as your exit.
OOC:   👍  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

OOC:   Sooo......rucksack a no no? ;)  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gavin grabbed his rucksack only for any glee he felt turn to despair as the bottom promptly fell out, depositing his belongings on the floor, where they slid down towards the nose and tumbled over the cliff and into the foaming river below.

To make sure they were beyond recovery, the fuselage of the plane then dropped on them, caught fire, exploded, and then a large Monty Python-esque foot emerged from the clouds and stomped everything into a flat pancake, barely millimetres wide… …

https://tenor.com/WIUT.gif

;)
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 8 months

Post by Lost_King »

Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:53 pm You have 60 seconds to get off the plane, before it goes over the edge. Getting out is no problem because of the holes in the fuselage and you may attempt to grab some of your gear as you do so.

Each search will take 20 seconds. If you make a successful Spot Hidden roll for each search you can choose which item to take. If you fail your roll(s), I’ll randomly choose something for you.

There is no penalty for searching in the 0-20 seconds and 21-40 seconds segments, but if you go for a third search before trying to get off the plane (i.e. in the 41-60 seconds segment), please also make a Dexterity check to see how well you exit the plane.
My bad, I had missed these instructions entirely. I will amend my post asap.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

Boyer:

Spott hidden 30%
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

Boyer gets a flare gun and rations. He runs immediatly after to exit the plane.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:31 am
Assuming you’re still having problems with the dice roller, here’s Amanda’s spot hidden (40%) rolls:

#1 1d100
#2 1d100

That’s one successful roll and one failed, so please choose one item of equipment and I’ll randomly determine the other.

Amanda suddenly woke up from a strange dream of crashing into the ground from a plane...
Except she actually had done that, the moment she noticed that, Amanda quickly checked for her responsability, each member of her team. They seemed to be alive and leaving the plane.

Now, the cockpit was open to air, and she didnt seem to see the pilot quickly. She searched for Ryan, just in case he was unconscious and needed rescue. She took wathever other object she could her hand into, and tried to search for a third thing to keep

Thanks for helping me out with the roling :lol:

I dont know if the pilot, Ryan, counts as an ítem, if it doesnt, I take the flare gun.
Also, yes I would thank a third roll
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm not rolling a third time. I only have 30% in Spot Hidden. My chances of succeeding are less than my chances of failing the DEX roll. I did get an extreme success on my second roll, though.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

umm, no. The pilot does not count as an item… 😉

Spot hidden #3 (40%) 1d100

That’s a successful roll so chose another item.

DEX 70 1d100

Amanda exits the plane without incident.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Joajackson wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:40 pm Image
Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:31 am

#1 1d100
#2 1d100

Amanda suddenly woke up from a strange dream of crashing into the ground from a plane...
Except she actually had done that, the moment she noticed that, Amanda quickly checked for her responsability, each member of her team. They seemed to be alive and leaving the plane.

Now, the cockpit was open to air, and she didnt seem to see the pilot quickly. She searched for Ryan, just in case he was unconscious and needed rescue. She took wathever other object she could her hand into, and tried to search for a third thing to keep

Thanks for helping me out with the roling :lol:

I dont know if the pilot, Ryan, counts as an ítem, if it doesnt, I take the flare gun.
Also, yes I would thank a third roll
She didnt manage to found the pilot, and managed to come out at the last moments, carrying a flare, a box of munitions for the M16 and a random ítem
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Benjamin:
M-16A2 (30 rounds)
Kevlar Vest*
Climbing equipment

*Realistically, I don’t think that Benjamin would have been wearing his Kevlar vest to travel as I shouldn’t think they’re that comfortable, but given your extreme success, you can have that as a bonus.

Harold:
Sketchbook & pencil
Folding shovel

Gavin:
Rifle
Backpack

The backpack counts as one item, but doesn’t include the contents. If you want to bring one of the items carried in the backpack instead, then you can swap it out.

Randy:
Advanced First Aid Kit
M16A-2
Tent
TBC

You got an extreme spot hidden so can grab something else.

Boyer:
Flare gun
Rations
TBC

With an extreme spot hidden success, you can grab another item.

Amanda:
Flare gun
M16-A2 ammunition (100 rounds)
Tent

Everyone raced out the back of the plane, grabbing whatever they could as they did so, some with more success than others. Amanda and Randy were last off, both exiting without any problems, but they could only stand and watch as the plane slithered away down the slope, taking the rest of their equipment with it over the edge. There was a few moments of silence then an almighty ‘BANG!’ as the plane hit the valley floor below and broke up into hundreds of pieces.

The sound echoed for a few moments then died away, muffled by the snow. They looked around. They were on the side of a mountain, above the treeline, and it was cold, so very cold… …
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

With the plane falling down the slope just moments after she left it, Amanda was too much in shock to react appropiately, she stood there for some moments, feeling her own heart beat. Finally, she took breath and refused to let it out until she fell unconscious or she felt real thoughts. This failed, as this is not a thing human can actually do, but it helped her calm herself.

Finally, she managed to get enough of her mind back to evaluate the other members of the group.

"We must assume the pilot dead ¡Listen everyone! Declare what you have and lets prepare to move, we need to find shelter, suggestions are appreciated. Benjamin, take these, and check for animals, I doubt any predator would want to go near here, but I dont want to die to a wolf ¡Now!"

She handed the bullets box to Benjamin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
"Thank you, ma'am," says Benjamin, accepting the box of ammo. "I have my M-16A2, fully loaded with thirty rounds, my Kevlar vest, and this very useful climbing gear. That'll help us get down off the mountain. A duck would have been useful too. After all, everyone knows you don't get down off a mountain. You get down off a duck." He looks around the area to see if there are any animals around, though he doubts any could make it up here, except possibly a very surefooted goat.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Do the survival kits count as 1 item or is each of their contents 1 item?

Randy peers in the direction of the plane. "Can we get down there? Surely, some of the tougher stuff we brought can be salvaged?"

"Whatever we do, let's get down as fast as we can, limit the risk of hypothermia."
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 8 months

Post by Lost_King »

Harold treads over to where Amanda, Benjamin, and Randy are standing.

“All I got was my sketchbook, a mechanical pencil, and a dumb shovel. I can’t see how that will be useful, but I’ve been surprised before. Regardless, I hope we don’t have to trek through deep snow or over too much ice to get down, I’m just wearing hiking boots.”

Are we wearing normal clothing, or the weatherproof clothing we had?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
"A shovel's very useful," says Benjamin. "It's a soldier's best friend. One of them saved my life during the Yom Kippur War."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gavin walks towards the group, looking down at the plane. Shaking his head he says "The plane isnt an option at the moment. We are exposed and ill equipped to reach it. We should count ourselves lucky we are
relatively unscathed and pushing our luck any further in my opinion would be putting ourselves at an unnecessary risk.Our main priority should be to find shelter
Looking to Amanda, seeing her in shock tries to guve her something to focus on, " Do you know the direction of the station we flew over?"

Return to “The Pipeline”