Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 2-Late for Dinner(Brook/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc)

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
Duc's Palace, Great Hall - Vyones, Auvergne, France
6:20 PM - Monday, April 20, 1517

The late arrivals filtered into the hall, where the other guests and their hosts were already seated around the table, sampling the hors d'ouevres. "Ah, so glad you could join us," said the Duc. "But where are your friends?"

"Come sit by me, Mademoiselle Brook," said Lady Amelie, patting the empty seat next to her.

In addition to the people they had already met, there were four other guests they did not recognize from before. They resembled each other and appeared to be a family, and they were seated together. All were well-dressed, but they did not seem to be extremely wealthy. One was a rotund, bald man with a black goatee in his forties. Beside him was a woman in her late thirties, with long-flowing blonde hair. Across from them sat a young man with brown hair who looked to be about twenty, and a girl in her late teens who looked much like the other woman, only younger and more beautiful.

Re: IC-Ep 2-Late for Dinner(Brook/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc)

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:21 pm
by Philulhu
”The ladies send their apologies, your Grace,” replied Gui politely. “They are unwell and have retired to rest.”

He took a seat and nodded a greeting to the guests nearby.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Jean Luc sat beside Gui and did likewise.

"I'm sorry to hear that," said the Duc. "If they're up to it, we can have food and drink sent up to their room. But where is Leonardo da Vinci? And that Spanish lord..."

"Don Diego Vega de Almeida de la Cruz," said his wife.

"Yes, Spanish names do tend to get long."

"Not mine," said the inquisitor. "Father Ignacio Fernandez is a simple enough name."

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:00 am
by Philulhu
”I think they intended to lie down in a darkened room, your Grace,” said Gui. “I’m sure they will be able to ask if they need anything when they awaken.”

“As for Monsieur Da Vinci, I am not sure. Perhaps the chevalier might know?”

He turned to look at Jacques. It was his turn to come up with an excuse for someone’s non-appearance!

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:02 am
by Snapper

"Ah, Your Grace, Master Da Vinci is an older gentleman now. I'm not sure he has the same stamina that Your Grace clearly has. He may have fallen asleep, as older gentlemen are want to do, and I beg you will forgive him."

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," said the Duc. "Perfectly understandable. And Don Diego?"

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:40 pm
by Snapper

Jacques is wearying of dreaming up excuses. "Your Grace, I'm sure Mlle Brook can provide greater insight, but I rather suspect the Spanish gentleman may be running about looking for flowers or fruit or whatnot to make Mlle Elizabeth feel better. Or perhaps composing some poetry for her." He shrugs in best Gallic tradition.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, I've seen the way he looks at her," said Bianca.

"Ah, that makes sense," said the Duchesse.

"Well, please sit down and help yourselves," said the Duc. "Soup will be served shortly, and you can meet the Galiano players." He indicated the four new arrivals.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:22 am
by Philulhu
Gui looked over at the players while waiting for the soup. Were they here for the play they would be watching later?

He gritted his teeth and fought the urge to mention ‘the Scottish play’ out of sheer devilment…

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Good thing you didn't mention it. Shakespeare isn't even born yet. ;)

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:31 am
by Philulhu
I was referencing Jame’s Wedderburn’s Dionysius the Tyrant, his satire on the Catholic Church… honest! ;-)

Hot potato, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Wedderburn_(poet)

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:25 am
by Snapper

Jacques gives a polite, modest bow to the Ducal couple and a respectful nod to the other senior guests present before taking a seat, pleased not to be the focus of attention. He looks at the Galiano players with mild interest.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"I am Enrico Galiano," said the older man, "of Genoa. And these are my fellow players: my lovely wife, Veronique, our son, Charles, and our daughter Giulia." He indicated the older woman, the young man, and the young woman in turn.

Also an anachronism, as it won't be performed until 1539. ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 am
by Snapper

"I am Chevalier Jacques du Baudin. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"I confess I am no great expert on plays. We do not see very many where I normally live. Somethings, for entertainment, we put on our own plays but they are very poor work indeed."

"Tell me, without giving away any surprises of course, what style of entertainment do you normally perform?"

Spoiler:
Surely, at any given point over the last 2000 years, there has always been a cursed Scottish play? McB is merely the latest.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:21 pm
by Philulhu
Gui bowed his head. Gui l’Argent, at your service,” he introduced himself.

The earliest Scottish play was recorded by St Columba in the 6th century in his Chronicles of Iona.

‘The Shepherd’s Lament’ was reputedly written by a young man whom Columba was teaching Latin. The boy was an apt student and he wrote the play both to demonstrate his learning and to give thanks for his education.

‘The Shepherd’s Lament’ was the boy’s ode to just how unbelievably stupid sheep are, which was amply demonstrated when they same behaviour that inspired the play, also contributed to befouling of the chapel in the monastery where the one and only performance of the play to date took place. Using real-life sheep instead of local children dressed in fleeces was, in hindsight, a mistake.

Please let me know how far you read before realising that I was just making this up.. ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:37 pm
by Snapper
Spoiler:
About a sentence or two. Good work.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy
"Likewise, Chevalier," said Enrico. "We can perform a variety of entertainments. Comedies, tragedies, histories...we have a wide repertoire. My troupe likes to put on plays from Roman times in particular. The play we're going to perform, Le Roi en Jaune, is actually an adaptation of a Roman play."

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:39 am
by Snapper

"Oh, indeed?" Jacques mentally winces at the recollection of childhood Latin lessons which often ended painfully for his hands. "Ah, I am no great scholar but I should be interested to know what the name of the original Roman play was?"

"Roman myths and legends and the like are always entertaining."

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:02 am
by Philulhu
Gui suspects that Jacque’s interest in all things Roman begins and ends with the statues of naked people but decides not to mention it…

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:02 am
by Mr. Handy
"The original Latin title was 'Rex in Flavo,'" said Enrico. "It's a direct translation. I translated the play into both French and Italian. We performed the Italian version last year in Milan. The audience was mad for it!"

What gave it away for me was the text in the OOC spoiler button.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:30 am
by Snapper

"I don't believe I've heard of it before but that means nothing, as I say I am no expert."

Jacques looks over to Bianca. "Mme Bianca, I am sure your knowledge of traveling plays is far superior to my own. Have you heard of the work these players shall be presenting?"

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:35 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I'm afraid I've never heard of it," said Bianca. "What sort of play is it?"

"It is unique!" said Enrico. "It practically defies classification. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but it is never the same play twice. Even if you had seen it performed before in Milan, it would be worth seeing it again."

Bianca's roll to see if she has heard of the play:
d%

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:34 pm
by Philulhu
Gui rather doubted that. A one-time paramour of his was fond of the theatre but in Gui’s opinion, joueurs itinérants were artistic criminals who were somehow managing to stay one step ahead of the law…

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:10 am
by Snapper
Can Jacques make an Insight roll to assess whether the Players are raving lunatics or otherwise obviously dodgy? Beyond the fact that any thespian is obviously a bit dodgy.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

Sure, everyone may go ahead and roll. In Brook's case, that would be Psychology rather than Insight.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:16 am
by Philulhu
Insight - 40% 1d100

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Enrico did seem a bit dodgy, confirming Gui's suspicions, but he also detected the telltale signs of madness about him. He definitely seemed obsessed with the play, and more than one would usually expect.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 am
by Snapper

1d%H75%

OOC:   Fail.  

The strange events of the day have done nothing for Jacques' concentration.

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:24 am
by Mr. Handy
"What can you tell us about it?" asked the Comte d'Erlette.

"We would not want to reveal too much," said Enrico. "That would lessen the experience. It should be a surprise."

"We can tell you a few things," said Veronique. "It takes place in a mythical land called Carcosa. I play the part of Cassilda, and my daughter Giulia plays the part of Camilla. My son Charles plays the mysterious Stranger."

"And that is all we can tell you for now. You will have to see the performance tomorrow night to learn the rest."

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:54 am
by Snapper

Jacques looks over to Enrico. "And you translated the play yourself? Your Latin must be a deal more accomplished than mine own. I confess I was a very poor student of Latin, my tutor despaired of me and spent a great deal of time rapping my knuckles. Entirely my fault of course."

"But I am interested to know what manner of book did you find the Latin, original play in? Was it some ancient text on papyrus from the time of the Caesars, or a more recently copied version? I know the writings of Cicero have been published oft times, so that dimwitted schoolboys can be set the task of translating them." Jacques flexes the knuckles of both hands a few times.

"I like the idea of the play being on some ancient, dusty scroll."

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"Indeed, it was on papyrus," said Enrico. "A thousand years old if it's a day. More than a thousand, for Rome fell more than that long ago. I do not have the original scroll with me, of course. It was painstaking work to translate, but I think it will be worth it when you see the performance. My Latin is excellent, if I do say so myself, and I'm fluent in both Italian and French. I don't think it loses much in the translation, though it would be something to see a performance in the original Latin."

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:40 pm
by Philulhu
Gui listened to the man talk, noting the gleam in his eye and the way that spittle seemed to gather at the corner of his mouth as he spoke. He glanced at Jacques but the slackwitted oaf seemed more keen to prattle on about his not unexpected shortcomings as a student. Write Latin? You may as well expect a man to walk on the moon!

He turned his gaze upon Enrico once more. There was something about the man that did not sit right with him, something that made him want to grind his teeth. He would watch him carefully lest he try any funny business.

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:44 pm
by Snapper

"Most impressive," Jacques says to Enrico. "And do you have other members if you company? Or is your family here the entirety who will be performing?"

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy
"It is just my family," said Enrico. "Le Roi en Jaune only has a cast of a few characters."

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:08 am
by Snapper

"Well, I'm sure it will be memorable."

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"I can assure you, it will be unforgettable," said Enrico.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:27 am
by Snapper

Jacques focuses on his meal and chatting with Bianca.

Spoiler:
I'm happy to skip ahead if there's not much else happening at dinner.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

If Brook and Gui are done too, then I'll move things forward. This is an opportunity to talk to each other and to the NPCs, and nothing will happen here by the end of the meal unless someone makes it happen.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:11 am
by Philulhu
Happy to move on.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy
As the second course was being served, Leonardo da Vinci entered the dining hall.

"Ah, Master Leonardo," said the Duc. "So glad you could join us after all."

"Thank you," he said, finding an empty seat at the table and waggling his eyebrows and Jacques and Gui. "I was regrettably exhausted, which happens when you get to be my age. A short nap was all I needed to recover. That's all I ever need." As he sat down, he patted his belt pouch absently. "Oh, I've forgotten my puzzle box in my chambers. No matter. I'm sure it will be all right."

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:46 am
by Philulhu
”May I be of assistance in that regard, Monsieur?” said Gui politely. “Or perhaps the Chevalier?”

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
"No, thank you," said Leonardo. "Enjoy the meal, both of you. Everything is fine."

Everyone may roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:02 pm
by Philulhu
Spot hidden (50%) 1d100

Gui tucked into his food, oblivious of anything going on around him.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jean Luc gently nudged Gui, who was seated next to him, with his elbow. He whispered in his ear, and since he did not have a fan, unlike the ladies, he couldn't hide this.

Jean Luc's Spot Hidden roll (75% skill) at the table:
d%

Jean Luc saw that Bianca was looking in Gui's direction, trying to make eye contact with him to no avail.

"The lady is trying to get your attention," Jean Luc whispered to Gui. Following Jean Luc's gaze, he could see that Bianca was looking right at him. Once she made eye contact, she nodded ever so slightly.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:02 am
by Philulhu
Merci, mes ami, Gui said quietly to Jean Luc. He glanced in Bianca’s direction and nodded in return. He hadn’t forgotten about her but part of him wondered whether he was being set up. Things hadn’t exactly gone to plan the last time he was in Da Vinci’s room.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Gui and Bianca finally made eye contact, and she nodded ever so slightly at him.

"Merci, mes ami," Gui said quietly to Jean Luc. He looked back at Bianca and nodded in return.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:58 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd75%

OOC:   Regular success.  

Jacques is happily making smalltalk with the lovely Bianca but gives Leonardo a polite nod and raised eyebrow.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:25 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   phew...finally caught up...  
Who is sitting either side of Jean Luc?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
I think Gui is sitting on one side.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:03 am
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc casts his eyes around the table, looking to see if any of the guests demeanours have changed since the morning. Taking notice of how people are interacting with the players.p

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:59 am
by Mr. Handy
The guests seemed the same to Jean Luc as they had been during lunch.

Gui is on one side of Jean Luc, and Abdullah (the Moorish sea captain) is on the other.

Jacques's focus on Bianca meant he couldn't help noticing that she was looking at Gui. He didn't notice her at first, but then Jacques nudged him, and Gui made eye contact with her.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:21 am
by BoyBlunder78
Leaning towards Abdullah, JeanLuc asks, "Are you a patron of the arts Capitaine? What do you make of this troupe itinérante?"/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy
"I have seen various entertainments when in port, Monsieur," said Abdullah, "though never anything like these players describe. It should be a performance to remember."

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:17 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Do i know of this play and its recent performances?  

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:22 am
by Mr. Handy

All you know about it is what you've learned in the course the adventure so far. Of course, you're free to ask the players, who would know plenty about it.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:42 am
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc looks to his companions."Do any of you know of this play?"

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:36 am
by Philulhu
”Only what we have been told over dinner,” replied Gui. “It is an ancient piece, translated from Latin, that takes place in a mythical land called Carcosa. It features a mysterious stranger and apparently is never performed the same way twice.”

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:35 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking over to the players" Monsieur Galliano pardon me for asking, but i am intrigued.
How many times have you performed this play? They say that every performance is different? How do you accomplish this feat?"

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:32 pm
by Philulhu
”My money is on opium, insanity or lack of rehearsal…” thought Gui to himself.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"While we have rehearsed it numerous times," said Enrico with a smile, "we have only performed it twice, once in Genoa and once in Milan. This will be the third time. I can't reveal our secrets, but different people in the audience tend to see different things. While the play is scripted, there is room for improvisation, and perhaps an element of participation by the audience."

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Are you the only troupe to perform it? For a play that seems to have this mythos about it, there only seems to be sporadic tales about its performance, a handful of sightings here and there. Surely it would be more profitable to perform such works as 'La Farce nouvelle du pâté et de la tarte' or a 'Sermon Joyeux'. With soo many plays out there what made you devoted soo much of your time to this?" Jean Luc enquired as he delicately tasted his soup, inhaling the aroma but his eyes never leaving Galliano's.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy
"Le Roi en Jaune is an ancient play," said Enrico, "but one that had been lost to the ages. When I discovered an old copy of it, and I read it, I knew I had to put it on the stage. It begged for an audience. It is far deeper than shallow modern comedies, it penetrates further into the heart than the latest tragedies, and it is far more authentic than any new histories, given its age. Everything old is new again, and this antiquity is a breath of fresh air in today's world, due to its having been lost so long. It is not about the profit, it is about the art. Surely an artist such as yourself would understand that."

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:41 am
by BoyBlunder78
Sitting back and dabbing the corners of his mouth, Jean Luc stroking his beard as he considers the old masters words. Oh I do I do, i completely agree with you, to live for the joy of your art, the need to spread that love, to touch as many people, to enlighten their poor lives with a new joie de vivre" , he says with flourish of his hands, " However that does not put food in your bellies, does not give you sustenace to carry on the good work."

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"Doesn't it?" asked Enrico, lifting a roasted chicken leg and taking a bite out of it. "Generous patrons of the arts such as the Duc here keep my family well fed, for which I thank him."

"You are most welcome," said the Duc, with a slight nod. "I look forward to your performance tomorrow night."

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:28 am
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc raises his goblet in appreciation of a point well made. "Will you be rehearsing tommorow? If so is it possible to avoir un pic sournois?"

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy
"We are having a dress rehearsal tomorrow morning," said Enrico, "but I'm afraid it is private. There will be no audience. We don't want anyone to see any imperfections in our performance."

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:15 pm
by Philulhu
”Why spoil the surprise?” murmured Gui sotto voce, while using his napkin to hide the grin on his face.

“We look forward to your performance,” he said more loudly, with all apparent sincerity.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, Monsieur," said Enrico. "We look forward to entertaining you."

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:58 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"What time is the performance?" JeanLuc turns his head to the son and daughter. " How longbhave you two been performing? Do you have any favourite works?"

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
"The performance starts at nine o'clock tomorrow evening," said Enrico.

"We've been performing since we could walk," said Charles. "We learned from our parents. My favorite play is Oedipus Rex. You should see Father play Oedipus sometime."

"I like Antigone," said Giulia. "She's my favorite part to play. But I do like the role of Camilla in Le Roi en Jaune too."

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Supper went by quickly, with course after course of delicious food and plenty of small talk. Finally, dessert was eaten and everyone was satiated.

"Good night, everyone," said the Duc. "On the morrow breakfast will be served in your guest chambers. You are free to roam the grounds in the morning, and at noon we shall have luncheon here."

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
Gui bowed as the Duc retired. Turning to the others, he said quietly, ”Do you think attendance at the play is mandatory tomorrow? It sounds infernally dull…”

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:25 am
by Snapper

Jacques politely bows to the Duc and Duchesse.

Standing and making polite good evenings to Bianca and the others, he casts a sideways glance at Gui. Quietly, he growls, "Hush, you will offend people. You must learn some manners, not to mention a basic appreciation for culture beyond its thievable value, if you wish to join the Hospitallers as a sergeant."

Jacques looks towards the apartments. "I wonder how the others are?" He heads towards his room.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:14 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hiding a smile at Gui's comment, "I wonder how the ladies are doing?" Jean Luc says as he rises from.the table. "Maybe we should pay a visit, non?"

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:19 pm
by Philulhu
”Why on earth would I want to join your tedious, stick-up-your-arse legion of do-gooders?” sniped Gui. ”On balance, I think I’d rather watch the infernally dull play… …”

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
"An astute choice of words," said the inquisitor, regarding Gui. "I fully expect this play to be infernal, and quite possibly dull as well. I'm sure there are more wholesome activities we can pursue."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc raises an eyebrow at the inquisitors words, "To what 'activities' do have in mind?"

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy
"The time would be better spent in prayer and devotion," said Ignacio.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:58 am
by BoyBlunder78
Lowering his head to hide a smile, placing a hand on Gui's shoulder, "Ah oui, Mon ami, I think that your time would be better suited in quiet contemplation."

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
”We could as the good Lord to deliver us from the evil of tawdry playwrights and their dullwitted outpourings,” suggested Gui.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:50 pm
by Snapper
Spoiler:
Jacques will head briefly to his room then on to find the strange ladies from Narnia, and their new metal friend.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:49 am
by BoyBlunder78
Shaking his head Jean Luc will leave Gui in Ignacio's company and attempt to find the ladies, for hopefully a more interesting evening.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook and Leonardo followed Jacques and Jean Luc back upstairs, while Gui remained behind.

Gui is moving to the thread linked below:

The Spanish Inquisition

Everyone else is moving to the thread linked below:

Chance Encounter