IC-Ep 2-Lost and Found(Everyone)

Story and her companions, with help from Leonardo da Vinci and other party guests, manage to track down the automaton, which reveals that it is intelligent and can speak, though it says it has no memory of its identity or past. Will it prove to be friend or foe?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

StarSpawn
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 1 year 9 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Lost and Found(Everyone)

Post by StarSpawn »

Jacques raises an eyebrow at Story but then goes back to glaring at the automaton and not otherwise moving to assist. "Madam, I am older than you and a chevalier of France. What I definitely am not is a 'boy'."
Story has a silent chuckle inside at this comment, beginning to leak out into a wry smile, but it is interrupted by the surprise of The Automaton asking not to be chained up...

d100 SAN 94

I still can't get the blasted die roller thing to cooperate. What is the deal!?

Says under her breath..."Now we're getting somewhere..." and makes her way over towards The Automaton.
Then to Jacques: "Hold, good sir. It would seem that it has decided to speak with us."
Then to The Automaton: "My name is Story. Was that a threat or a plea? Who are you?"
Don't make me bare my bodkin! 🐙
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

45% 1d100

SAN loss (1d2 - based on 1d6 because that’s the lowest number the dice roller can handle…1d6

1 point SAN loss.

Mon dieu! breathed Gui. ”What sorcery is this?!” He held up the rapier but the tip wobbled visibly and he made no attempt to approach the automaton.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Before she can ask the servant which gentleman he spoke of, he rushes off. Then the automaton speaks so she quickly walks to stand next to Story, watching the automaton with calm interest.
Sanity: 86 roll: 85
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sacre bleu!" cried Jean Luc.

"A plea," said the automaton. "Who am I? I do not know."

The way I do it is to use the Dice rolls tab underneath the posting window, enter the roll notation, click "Roll the dice," and then click the first action icon (Place inline) to the right of the new roll to paste the inline roll in my post.

Brook's Sanity roll (current level 87) for hearing the automaton speak:
d%
Jean Luc's Sanity roll (current level 45) for hearing the automaton speak:
d%
Sanity loss:
1d4
2 points lost.

Diego's Sanity roll for hearing the automaton speak:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Scowling that the automaton isn't immediately cowed by the threat of his blessed sword, Jacques points the middle finger of his off-hand, and the St John's Cross ring on that finger, at the device.

"And this ring has been blessed by the grand-master of my order, the Knights Hospitaller of St John. Do not move or I will unleash its holy fury."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

As religious as the next man in 18th century France, Gui wasn’t wholly surprised to see that the Chevalier’s ’Holy’ relic had no apparent effect. God knows, he’d sold enough of such ‘blessed’ items himself in the past…

”Perhaps you should get closer, Chevalier?” he suggested. ”Give your halitosis chance to work on it…”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth hides a smile with her hand.

“Do you think it is powered by the soul stone? That might be the soul speaking!” She whispers to Story and Brook.
StarSpawn
Layman
Layman

Post by StarSpawn »

Story meets Elizabeth's glance and does a little head and eye gesture indicating Possibly.

Then raises her voice a little and adds some authority to the tone.

"Alright everyone. We ALL" *glances poignantly at The Automaton and then around at the men* "seem to be a good bit confused here. Let's just take a second to steady things up a bit, shall we? First thing's first. Can everyone agree that there is no harm intended here between anyone present? If so, let's all calm down some and take a breath. Then we can maybe get some answers."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques glares at L'Argot in exasperation. "You are meant to take my side against an ungodly devil-possessed device, you thimble-witted dolt!"

Looking across to Story, he shakes his head. "I agree nothing of the sort! Even Master Da Vinci's devices do not talk of their own accord. This is devilish, which by default means harm to all good Christians present."

"Even bad Christians," Jacques adds, glancing back at L'Argot.

(Surreptitiously, Jacques does pause to discreetly cup his free hand, hold it to his mouth and breath into it. After a short pause, he looks relatively satisfied with the result and goes back to glaring at the automaton.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No harm," said the automaton.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Despite the circumstances, Gui couldn’t help but smirk at the Chevalier checking his breath… Recovering his composure, he said, ”Are we on the same side, Chevalier? You take every opportunity to cast aspersions on my character and belittle me to all and sundry.”
StarSpawn
Layman
Layman

Post by StarSpawn »

With a slightly harsh and scolding tone now.

"And just how Christian is it to make war upon a being that is pleading for mercy and vowing to offer you no harm?"
"Curb your fear for a moment and let us discover what we can of this strange story."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth sighs and walks right up to the automaton. She puts her hand gently on the nearest bit of it.
“We won’t harm you. Please forgive us, we are all just a little nervous at meeting someone new.
Do you have a name? Mine is Elizabeth Young and I am from, er, Narnia.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I wouldn’t touch…” Gui started to say, followed by, ”Oh, I see you’ve touched it anyway… …”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques is starting to look somewhat nettled.

"It's not casting aspersions and belittling if I'm simply telling the truth," he explains patiently to L'Argot. "Thief, coward, lech, what have I missed?"

Then Jacques swings back to Story. "Madam, it is not fear," and even saying the word appears to cause him revulsion. "I am being prudently cautious of what is evident deviltry."

"And perhaps in your land of Narnia there is no room for inquisitors, what with all the unicorns running about. But right now there is an inquisitor here in this chateaux who would happily enough burn you all at the stake for even having talked to a devil. So, I shall be content to treat this device warily and at sword point until at least Master Da Vinci arrives to inspect it."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui lowered his sword and turned to Jacques. ”There you go again!” he snapped. ”You claim to be a Christian but all I see is a meaness of spirit and the urge to belittle anyone who wasn’t born with the privileges you had. It’s not surprising no one likes you when you act like a cul de cherval all the time!” He glared at the Chevalier, holding his thumb and forefinger mere millimetres apart to show just how small-minded he was.
Last edited by Philulhu on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do not know," said the automaton to Elizabeth. "Elizabeth friend."

"Such courage," said Diego, smiling at her in admiration.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques sighs. "L'Argot, I will be happy to discuss Christianity and my treatment of the lower classes with you at a later time but right now I am, surprisingly, more concerned about the devil infested automaton then your good opinion of me or lack thereof."

"So, for the time being, will you just stop talking to me."

Jacques swings his focus back to the automaton and his sword remains en garde.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth keeps her hand on the metal, wondering if it helped, whether the automaton could even feel it.
She turns to the others,
“We can’t, simply mustn’t let the inquisitor find out about this; imagine the destruction he would initiate.” She shudders and turns back to the automaton.
“Do you remember- anything?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Quite right," said Diego. "The Inquisition can be ruthless. They may not be able to burn our metal friend here at the stake, but the rest of us are not so fortunate."

"Nothing," replied the automaton. "Who am I?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”