Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 2-Lost and Found(Everyone)

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Duc's Palace, Armory - Vyones, Auvergne, France
5:45 PM - Monday, April 20, 1517

Gui opened the door leading back to the hall from the armory. He saw no trace of the servant, but he did see Elizabeth, Jacques, and Diego approaching from the left. The guard at the end of the hall in that direction remained at his post. Story was in the forge room behind the vestibule in which Gui stood, and Brook and Jean Luc remained in the armor room.

Re: IC-Ep 2-Lost and Found(Everyone)

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:10 am
by Philulhu
Gui gave a low whistle to attract the attention of the others and said, ”We have found the automaton.”

He looked up and down the corridor again, stepping out of the doorway for a better look. “Did any of you see a servant go by? He was in here with the automaton and was supposed to be fetching some chains but something about him seemed odd.”

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:42 am
by Snapper

Jacques enters the armoury, left hand holding his scabbard, right the grip of his sheathed sword. He glares equally at L'Argot and the automaton. "We saw the servant rush past on a mission to get chains. He seemed about as normal as events allowed."

"Was that servant in here when you arrived? And, more pressing, has this device shown signs of attacking anyone?"

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:47 am
by Philulhu
Non, Chevalier. It has not moved,” replied Gui. ”But if anything can inspire an inanimate object into fits of homicidal rage, then I am sure you are the man to do it!”

He looked up and down the corridor once again. “We shall see if he returns,” he said.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:12 am
by Snapper

Jacques snorts at L'Argot's riposte but his attention is primarily on the automaton. "I trust you have stolen nothing," he asks L'Argot casually as he warily approaches closer to the device.

Is the automaton beastie armed with a halberd or anything else?

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:46 am
by Philulhu
”Only the hearts of every eligible young woman in France,” replied Gui smoothly.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jacques headed through the vestibule, which was stocked with various weapons of high quality in racks. He couldn't help but notice that Gui was holding one of them himself, a slender rapier. Beyond the door on the other side of the room was a large forge, where a muscular, shirtless blacksmith was hammering away at a sword on an anvil. There were doors to the left and right, and the right door was open. Through that door he could see another large room with a few suits of armor standing. One of them lay on its back on a large table. It was the automaton, and it did not have a weapon. Brook and Jean Luc were in the room, watching it, but it was motionless.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:52 pm
by aine
“Gui, should I run after the servant? Is he up to no good?” Elizabeth exclaims, thinking back to the minutes before with the guard. “Diego and I could try to find him, maybe.”

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:55 am
by Philulhu
”I think that may be wise, mademoiselle. There was something about the fellow… I may be wrong, but it would do no harm,” Gui replied thoughtfully.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:40 am
by Snapper

Jacques immediately moves to put himself between the automaton and Brook.

"How did it end up on the table here?"

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:49 am
by Philulhu
Gui carefully approached the automaton and push its shoulder, testing the weight of the construct. Could two men have lifted it onto the table, as the servant had implied? Alternatively, was there some mechanism about the table that would allow the table top to rotate, so that a suit of armour or similar might be moved from the horizontal to the vertical without overly straining the muscles?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:49 pm
by aine
“Diego, let’s see if we can find this strange servant of the chains!” Elizabeth considers asking the blacksmith but time is of the essence so she turns and sweeps out of the armoury to where they last saw the servant.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Apparently the servants saw the automaton standing in one of the alcoves and assumed that it was a standard suit of armor," said Jean Luc. "They decided that it could use some polishing, so they brought it into the armory for just that purpose." He indicated a bottle of polish and a rag on the table.

The table was ordinary, and it contained no mechanisms. The automaton was about the same weight as a regular suit of armor, and two men could easily carry it. Even one could manage it, if he were strong enough.

Elizabeth and Diego hurried back out of the armory and to the stairwell. As they arrived, the servant arrived from below with four sets of shackles across his shoulders.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:28 am
by Snapper

"Is there a servant who can find Master Da Vinci and ask him to attend?"

Jacques still watches the automaton very warily. Without taking his eyes from it, he leans out towards where the smith is working. "Master Armourer, do you know how this device was brought into the armoury?"

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 pm
by StarSpawn
From her position in the Forge, Story glances first towards the gentlemen catching up and further examining The Automaton...
Calling to Gui, Jean Luc, and Jacques, she says: "Boys, maybe don't poke and prod the thing until we get it tied down..."

...and then back looking back towards Elizabeth and Diego who appeared and promptly about-faced and dashed away again.
Then catching sight of the returning servant with the manacles...

"Which seems like we can do very soon."

Then calling and beckoning to the servant "Thank you. Good lad. Now, over here..."
*gestures and moves back towards the room with The Automaton*

"Boys, a hand, if you please."

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:10 pm
by aine
Elizabeth raises her eyebrows at Story and suppresses a smile at the men being ordered about so.
She approaches the servant once he has released the chains. She smiles,
“That was quick. What made you rush off to get chains for a suit of armour?”
Elizabeth watches him carefully to check he’s telling the truth and to see what’s strange about him.
Psychology 47 roll: 15

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:32 am
by Snapper

StarSpawn wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 pm "Boys, a hand, if you please."

Jacques raises an eyebrow at Story but then goes back to glaring at the automaton and not otherwise moving to assist. "Madam, I am older than you and a chevalier of France. What I definitely am not is a 'boy'."

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:25 am
by Philulhu
”There’s no time to stand on ceremony, Chevalier,” Gui said mockingly. ”Let us do as the Mademoiselle asks of us.” And he moved to offer assistance.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
"A couple of the servants carried it in, like they would any suit of armor," the blacksmith told Jacques as he continued hammering. "I wasn't paying attention to them, as I have my work, so I did not notice anything different about it."

"Well, the man who insisted I get them seemed agitated," said the servant to Elizabeth, "and he has developed something of a reputation here. I figured that either he was somehow correct, or that he was mad and that I would need the chains for him and those with them. Either way, I did not want to waste time." He deposited the manacles in the room with the armor. "I shall go bring Master Leonardo." With that, he left the room.

Jean Luc picked up one of the chains and approached the table where the automaton lay.

"Please," it said in a tinny voice. "Don't."

Elizabeth sensed that the servant was being sincere, and he also seemed a little bit frightened by everything that was happening.

Everyone, please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1D2.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:41 am
by Snapper

1d%50

1d4

OOC:   2 points SAN lost.  

Jacques pales and looks shocked. "St John preserve us!" He makes the Sign of the Cross then draws steel. "Stay where you lie, creature, this sword had been blessed by His Holiness himself!"

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:49 pm
by StarSpawn
Jacques raises an eyebrow at Story but then goes back to glaring at the automaton and not otherwise moving to assist. "Madam, I am older than you and a chevalier of France. What I definitely am not is a 'boy'."
Story has a silent chuckle inside at this comment, beginning to leak out into a wry smile, but it is interrupted by the surprise of The Automaton asking not to be chained up...

d100 SAN 94

I still can't get the blasted die roller thing to cooperate. What is the deal!?

Says under her breath..."Now we're getting somewhere..." and makes her way over towards The Automaton.
Then to Jacques: "Hold, good sir. It would seem that it has decided to speak with us."
Then to The Automaton: "My name is Story. Was that a threat or a plea? Who are you?"

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:44 pm
by Philulhu
45% 1d100

SAN loss (1d2 - based on 1d6 because that’s the lowest number the dice roller can handle…1d6

1 point SAN loss.

Mon dieu! breathed Gui. ”What sorcery is this?!” He held up the rapier but the tip wobbled visibly and he made no attempt to approach the automaton.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:43 pm
by aine
Before she can ask the servant which gentleman he spoke of, he rushes off. Then the automaton speaks so she quickly walks to stand next to Story, watching the automaton with calm interest.
Sanity: 86 roll: 85

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy
"Sacre bleu!" cried Jean Luc.

"A plea," said the automaton. "Who am I? I do not know."

The way I do it is to use the Dice rolls tab underneath the posting window, enter the roll notation, click "Roll the dice," and then click the first action icon (Place inline) to the right of the new roll to paste the inline roll in my post.

Brook's Sanity roll (current level 87) for hearing the automaton speak:
d%
Jean Luc's Sanity roll (current level 45) for hearing the automaton speak:
d%
Sanity loss:
1d4
2 points lost.

Diego's Sanity roll for hearing the automaton speak:
d%

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:22 am
by Snapper

Scowling that the automaton isn't immediately cowed by the threat of his blessed sword, Jacques points the middle finger of his off-hand, and the St John's Cross ring on that finger, at the device.

"And this ring has been blessed by the grand-master of my order, the Knights Hospitaller of St John. Do not move or I will unleash its holy fury."

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:47 am
by Philulhu
As religious as the next man in 18th century France, Gui wasn’t wholly surprised to see that the Chevalier’s ’Holy’ relic had no apparent effect. God knows, he’d sold enough of such ‘blessed’ items himself in the past…

”Perhaps you should get closer, Chevalier?” he suggested. ”Give your halitosis chance to work on it…”

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:06 pm
by aine
Elizabeth hides a smile with her hand.

“Do you think it is powered by the soul stone? That might be the soul speaking!” She whispers to Story and Brook.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:40 pm
by StarSpawn
Story meets Elizabeth's glance and does a little head and eye gesture indicating Possibly.

Then raises her voice a little and adds some authority to the tone.

"Alright everyone. We ALL" *glances poignantly at The Automaton and then around at the men* "seem to be a good bit confused here. Let's just take a second to steady things up a bit, shall we? First thing's first. Can everyone agree that there is no harm intended here between anyone present? If so, let's all calm down some and take a breath. Then we can maybe get some answers."

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:43 am
by Snapper

Jacques glares at L'Argot in exasperation. "You are meant to take my side against an ungodly devil-possessed device, you thimble-witted dolt!"

Looking across to Story, he shakes his head. "I agree nothing of the sort! Even Master Da Vinci's devices do not talk of their own accord. This is devilish, which by default means harm to all good Christians present."

"Even bad Christians," Jacques adds, glancing back at L'Argot.

(Surreptitiously, Jacques does pause to discreetly cup his free hand, hold it to his mouth and breath into it. After a short pause, he looks relatively satisfied with the result and goes back to glaring at the automaton.)

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
"No harm," said the automaton.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:05 am
by Philulhu
Despite the circumstances, Gui couldn’t help but smirk at the Chevalier checking his breath… Recovering his composure, he said, ”Are we on the same side, Chevalier? You take every opportunity to cast aspersions on my character and belittle me to all and sundry.”

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:34 pm
by StarSpawn
With a slightly harsh and scolding tone now.

"And just how Christian is it to make war upon a being that is pleading for mercy and vowing to offer you no harm?"
"Curb your fear for a moment and let us discover what we can of this strange story."

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:15 pm
by aine
Elizabeth sighs and walks right up to the automaton. She puts her hand gently on the nearest bit of it.
“We won’t harm you. Please forgive us, we are all just a little nervous at meeting someone new.
Do you have a name? Mine is Elizabeth Young and I am from, er, Narnia.”

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:13 am
by Philulhu
”I wouldn’t touch…” Gui started to say, followed by, ”Oh, I see you’ve touched it anyway… …”

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:37 am
by Snapper

Jacques is starting to look somewhat nettled.

"It's not casting aspersions and belittling if I'm simply telling the truth," he explains patiently to L'Argot. "Thief, coward, lech, what have I missed?"

Then Jacques swings back to Story. "Madam, it is not fear," and even saying the word appears to cause him revulsion. "I am being prudently cautious of what is evident deviltry."

"And perhaps in your land of Narnia there is no room for inquisitors, what with all the unicorns running about. But right now there is an inquisitor here in this chateaux who would happily enough burn you all at the stake for even having talked to a devil. So, I shall be content to treat this device warily and at sword point until at least Master Da Vinci arrives to inspect it."

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:51 am
by Philulhu
Gui lowered his sword and turned to Jacques. ”There you go again!” he snapped. ”You claim to be a Christian but all I see is a meaness of spirit and the urge to belittle anyone who wasn’t born with the privileges you had. It’s not surprising no one likes you when you act like a cul de cherval all the time!” He glared at the Chevalier, holding his thumb and forefinger mere millimetres apart to show just how small-minded he was.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"I do not know," said the automaton to Elizabeth. "Elizabeth friend."

"Such courage," said Diego, smiling at her in admiration.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:03 am
by Snapper

Jacques sighs. "L'Argot, I will be happy to discuss Christianity and my treatment of the lower classes with you at a later time but right now I am, surprisingly, more concerned about the devil infested automaton then your good opinion of me or lack thereof."

"So, for the time being, will you just stop talking to me."

Jacques swings his focus back to the automaton and his sword remains en garde.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:21 pm
by aine
Elizabeth keeps her hand on the metal, wondering if it helped, whether the automaton could even feel it.
She turns to the others,
“We can’t, simply mustn’t let the inquisitor find out about this; imagine the destruction he would initiate.” She shudders and turns back to the automaton.
“Do you remember- anything?”

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Quite right," said Diego. "The Inquisition can be ruthless. They may not be able to burn our metal friend here at the stake, but the rest of us are not so fortunate."

"Nothing," replied the automaton. "Who am I?"

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:56 am
by Philulhu
”You are an automaton, created by the master inventor, Leonardo Da Vinci ,” said Gui, once he had finished glaring at the Chevalier.

”Do you remember none of this?”

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:01 am
by Mr. Handy
"Very little," said the automaton. "I remember Leonardo. He is my father."

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:05 am
by Philulhu
”And are you able to move yourself? Our understanding was that you needed someone to control you. Did you come here yourself or did someone guide you here?” asked Gui.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"I can stand and walk," said the automaton, swinging its legs over the side of the table and standing on its feet. "I came down to the hall and hid in an alcove. I was afraid. Two men carried me in here."

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:16 am
by Snapper

Every muscle in Jacques' body starts to tense like he's about to run an Olympic sprint. He takes a measured step back in the confined space and keeps his sword up.

"And do you recall killing a man last night?"

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"He was a bad man," said the automaton. "I had to protect my father."

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:02 am
by Philulhu
”What was he trying to do?” asked Gui, thinking he may have had a narrow escape…

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"I do not know," said the automaton. "He was stealing father's things. I was afraid he intended father harm."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:05 am
by Philulhu
”You killed a man for stealing?!” said Gui, disbelievingly. ”Theft is not a cas énormes for which a man might be put to death! And who are you to act as judge upon one of use?”

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:22 am
by Snapper

Despite himself, Jacques cannot help but look over to L'Argot, eyebrows raised in slight amusement.

"Well," he drawls, "It's not the most unreasonable way to deal with a thief. I'm more of a chopping off the offending hand man, myself, but it does have the merit of decisiveness. And sends a clear message."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:37 am
by Mr. Handy
"Did I do wrong?" asked the automaton. "Am I bad?"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:59 am
by Philulhu
”You took a man’s life,” said Gui. ”Do you not understand what that means?”

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"No," said the automaton. "What does it mean?"

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:16 am
by Philulhu
”Thou shalt not kill,” said Gui slowly. ”It is one of the Ten Commandments laid down by God. Once a man is killed, he is gone from this world, never to return. His body may be here but his spirit has been committed to the afterlife.”

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:29 am
by Snapper

Jacques has lowered his sword point to the floor.

He holds up a finger of his free hand. "Ah, L'Argot is perhaps over-simplifying there. Firstly, killing to defend yourself or others, or to defend your property, is not a crime and is approved by the church. Secondly, the only afterlife the dead thief will have found is eternal torment in the fires of hell. His just desserts."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:21 am
by Philulhu
Gui rolled his eyes. ”We are facing a an animated metal man, Chevalier,” he said, in a tone normally reserved for children or the terminally bereft of thinking. ”It seems that our new acquaintance is just learning about social mores and therefore clear and precise instruction such as ‘thou shalt not kill’ would probably be of benefit to all of us in this room.”

“Saying ‘thou shalt not kill, oh except in these circumstances…’ is neither clear nor precise. Until we know the creature’s intention, I think we can delay the more advanced theological discussion, don’t you? Oh, and let us hope for your sake that the creature doesn’t think that being thicker than a whale omelette is one of those exceptions, otherwise you’re doomed…”

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:02 pm
by aine
Elizabeth hides a smile,
“Automaton, do you have any words inside you, written on paper, anything like that?”

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"The original Hebrew text says 'al tirtzach,'" says Diego, "which means 'thou shalt not murder.'"

"I do not know," replied the automaton to Elizabeth. "I cannot see inside me. Father would know. He made me."

"Ah," said Diego with a smile. "You are thinking of the golem. I have heard of such things, but never seen one before. Usually it is said to made of clay, but why not metal?"

Everyone may roll Occult.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:31 pm
by Philulhu
Occult (%5) 1d100

Can I spend one point of Luck?

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:50 pm
by aine
“I have never seen one either.” Elizabeth replies to Diego. “We don’t have them in Narnia. But I have read somewhere that the laws they live by are written down and put inside them.”
occult 5 roll:47

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
"This is so," said Diego.

This is 6th edition, so there's no spending Luck, but since you got so close I'll give you partial information.

Gui had heard of golems, which were said to be artificial men in Jewish folklore. What Elizabeth and Diego were saying sounded vaguely familiar to him. He knew there was supposed to be a way to disable a golem, but he didn't know what it was.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:25 am
by Philulhu
Gui studied the metal creature intently. Something in the old tales that his grand-tante Marie used to tell him when he was a child, was struggling to come to mind. Something about stopping such golems…

”We need a wise woman! She’d know what to do!” he said, conveniently forgetting that the same nomenclature had once been applied to grand-tante Marie, and she’d spent most of her later life having conversations with trees…

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:31 am
by Snapper

1d%L5%

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:58 pm
by Snapper

"Thou shalt not murder. Thank you, Don Diego, most helpful. If the creature thought he had to defend Master Da Vinci, his action was without malice and the result not murder."

Jacques addresses the automaton. "Master suit of armour, do not fret over the death of the thief. You thought you were doing right. And to be honest, no one is overly upset about it, that thief will not be missed."

Looking back at L'Argot, he becomes more thoughtful. "I had never eaten a whale omelette but fish lay eggs and they are a fish, so it is possible I suppose."

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"Not many people know this," came Leonardo's voice from the open door to the forge room, "but whales are not actually fish. They have more in common with us than you might think." Leonardo entered with the servant who had gone to fetch him, a smile on his face. "I see you've found it. I cannot thank you enough! But how did it get here?"

Story's Occult roll (20% skill) about golems:
d%
Brook's Occult roll (33% skill) about golems:
d%
Jean Luc's Occult roll (5% base skill) about golems:
d%
Diego's Occult roll about golems:
d%

Brook knew all about golems, everything that Elizabeth and Diego had said and more. They were often said to be used as instruments of vengeance. She also knew that in creating a golem, the Hebrew word aleph-mem-tav, emet, which meant truth, was carved into its forehead. By destroying the first letter, the aleph, it was possible to render a golem inert. The remaining word was mem-tav, pronounced met, which meant dead. The automaton had nothing written on its forehead, however.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:31 am
by Philulhu
Gui smirked as Jacques’ lack of piscine knowledge was revealed (not that he’d known it either, but that was hardly the point). He rolled his eyes at the Chevalier then said, ”The servant said he found it in the corridor and brought it in here to be polished. It is not clear how it came to be in the corridor.”

He looked at da Vinci. Maitre da Vinci, how is it that your creation can talk?”

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:53 pm
by aine
Elizabeth watches with interest, thinking that the master might be as surprised as they.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 pm
by StarSpawn
OOC:   Sorry folks. I was battling an illness all week and struggling to remember to go to work!  

"And it believes you to be its 'Father' - what say you to this, Master?"

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:30 am
by Mr. Handy
"It can talk?" said Leonardo, looking quite surprised.

"Yes, Father," said the automaton.

The servant crossed himself, but Leonardo managed to take it in stride. "How is this possible?"

"I do not know."

Don't worry about it. Hope you feel better!

Leonardo's Sanity roll for hearing the automaton speak:
d%
Servant's Sanity roll for hearing the automaton speak:
d%
Servant's Sanity loss:
1d6/3

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:08 pm
by Philulhu
”Then what is this? Some kind of sorcery or witchcraft?” asked Gui, crossing himself.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:22 am
by Snapper

Jacques is now nonchalantly balancing his sword on its point on the floor and holding it in place with one forefinger.

"Which is what I have been saying all along. To be fair, the enchanted suit of armour seems quite pleasant." He looks at Da Vinci, "My bigger concern, Master, is the inquisitor we all know is in this chateaux. Who would be all too willing to see anyone he considers responsible for this burnt at the stake."

"To my regret, I have witnessed people meeting that fate and it is a bad death."

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"Quite right, Chevalier," said Leonardo. "We shall have to keep it secret."

"I won't tell anyone," said the servant. "Who would even believe me?"

"The automaton should not be able to speak at all. The jaw is fully functional, of course, but there are no vocal cords."

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:12 am
by Snapper

"Perhaps we should try to get it back to your apartments, Master?"

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:30 pm
by aine
“If the automaton could lie still, like armour, and then servants could carry it back for us. We can say it’s just been cleaned.” Elizabeth suggests.
“Does the automaton have a name?” She asks Leonardo.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"A good idea," said Leonardo. "I'm sure the servants are up to the task. I did not name the automaton, no, but it - or should I say he? - could use one. I'm open to suggestions." He looked at the automaton. "For your own protection, you should not speak or move on your own where anyone not currently in this room can see or hear you. You will wait for me in my chambers."

"Yes, Father," said the automaton. "I understand."

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:47 am
by Snapper

Jacques sheaths his sword with practised panache and a "slink" noise. "Hefting armour is a skill I am well practised in. Come on gentlemen, lend a hand and we shall soon carry the enchanted suit back to Master Da Vinci's rooms."

"Master suit of armour, for your own sake if no other, we are going to have to carry you back. Forgive the indignity." Jacques moves towards the armour.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:10 am
by Philulhu
Mademoiselle, if you would not mind returning this to the armoury for me?” said Gui to Elizabeth as he carefully passed her the rapier he had appropriated earlier.

He moved toward’s the automaton’s feet. ”I am ready,” he announced.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:32 pm
by aine
Elizabeth takes the rapier gingerly. “Yes, of course.” And she steps aside as the men lift up the automaton.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:38 pm
by StarSpawn
@Mr. Handy

Story looks about to take account of all who are apparently sworn to secrecy about the live automaton.
It occurs to her that at least one servant and possibly the smith have also been privy to this secret and maybe are not so keen to keep silent.

The one servant has already spoken about keeping quiet. Were there any more? What of the smith? Did he witness all of this?

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy
Jacques and Gui managed to lift and carry the automaton, though Jacques was doing most of the work. They carried it back into the forge room, where the smith was still working with his back to them, and the others followed, though the servant remained behind. Story didn't think the smith could have seen the automaton moving on its own, and it was unlikely (though not impossible) that he had overheard the conversation over the noise of the forge. The only servant present was the one who had promised to say nothing. Other than them, the only ones that had been present to see the automaton in action were herself, Elizabeth, Brook, Jean Luc, Don Diego and Leonardo da Vinci.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:48 am
by Snapper

Jacques sighs. "L'Argot, you will need to work on training your strength before you might wield a sword or spear on the walls of the Hospitaller castle on Rhodes, defending the border of Christendom. I can promote your enlistment as a sergeant but there are men at the walls now with twice your strength. Old men."

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:43 pm
by Philulhu
”I’d rather make my way relying on my wits than have someone like you telling me what I have to do,” replied Gui through gritted teeth… ….

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:55 am
by Snapper

"But yet," says Jacques, not sounding overly puffed as he lugs the armour, "You keep reappearing at my side like an African fly. I have come to realise that there is a purpose in this, namely, your wish to join the Hospitallers as a sergeant."

"We don't just need strong spear arms. There is a place for rat-like wiles in our adventures against Barbary pirates and Saracen invaders. You will need to build up your strength, however."

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:18 am
by Philulhu
Gui barked a short, sharp laugh. ”Did you bang your head? Never mind the Hospitallers, it is a hospital you need!” he replied.

”Whatever fate of circumstances has brought us together, I do not know, but if you think I want to spend more time with you and your ilk, then you must be madder than fou Jacques, winner of last year’s Concours Monsieur le Fou!

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:43 pm
by Snapper

Jacques smiles. "Of course. I understand. You hope but fear yet another rejection to add to the litany of thousands of rejections you have already received to every endeavour in your life to this moment."

"I am confident, however, that we will see you on board a ship for Rhodes before long."

"As an aside, I must warn you that you will not spend much time in my company on Rhodes. You will be drilled and trained in your duties by more senior sergeants, and spend little time even with the youngest and most junior knights. But there are endless possibilities for advancement, for the brave hearted. Who live."

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:05 pm
by Philulhu
”Believe me, Chevalier, seeing less of you is very much high on my list of priorities!” replied Gui. ”But I must disappoint you, this time, for I have absolutely no intention of joining your in-Hospitallers!”

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:30 am
by Snapper

"But of course. You need say no more." Jacques continues smiling and focuses on armour removalist duties.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:35 am
by Philulhu
Gui just rolled his eyes and shook his head. Clearly the fool was deluded.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:05 pm
by StarSpawn
*smiling*
  (Thinking to herself) Now there's a budding bromance if I ever saw one...  

Then she says, "I will walk ahead to clear any potential concerns that may obstruct our path back to The Master's chambers."
And proceeds to double-time it ahead of the armorcade in hopes of deterring any potential deterrents to the goal.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:33 pm
by aine
Elizabeth stops at the armoury to drop off GUI’s sword.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
Story led the way out of the armory and back to the intersection in the hall. Jacques and Gui carried the automaton between them through the vestibule behind her, where Elizabeth returned the borrowed blade to its place on a weapon rack, Brook and Diego close behind her, and Leonardo da Vinci bringing up the rear.

The servant Henri approached Story from straight ahead, in the direction of the dining hall. "Ah, there you are," he said. "I was looking for you and your friends. Supper is about to start in a few minutes."

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:23 am
by Philulhu
”If you stand aside then I’m sure we can be ready in time!” puffed Gui, who didn’t want to carry the automaton any longer than he absolutely had to!

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:41 am
by StarSpawn
"Ah, yes, Henri. Thank you so much for finding us and letting us know. Is it that time already?"
"Oh dear, but could you kindly be of some further assistance by reporting our party" *gestures behind her* "will be late to the meal?"
"We are assisting Master da Vinci with an important task at this moment. And then, I expect, we will have to freshen up in order to be presentable at the table. Thanks ever so much, dear."

After (assuming) Henri moves along...Story turns back to the party:

"Either we'll need a grand excuse to miss supper entirely, elect someone to armor-sit during supper, or we'll have to leave IT alone for a while. Any suggestions?"

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy
"Very good, Mademoiselle," said Henri, turning around and heading back to the dining hall.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:03 pm
by Snapper

Jacques looks over at Story as he ambles along with the armour. "Madam, I am the last Frenchman looking to have less ladies at table, however, you ladies from Narnia are a last minute addition to the guest list. I would suggest you are least likely to cause a stir by not being at dinner."

"Do not ladies frequently suffer from headaches and suchlike maladies, requiring your brief retirement to your rooms?"

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
Gui winced, wondering how far Jacques was going to pursue this line of conversation! There are certain things that a gentleman did well to stay clear of, and a woman’s maladies was high on the list!

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:09 pm
by StarSpawn
Not having been a woman for very much time, Story doesn't realize "she" has any affiliation to this topic...

*shrugs*
"I suppose you're right? We could stay while you men-folk go to supper. When you arrive, just pass along that..."
*realizes she has no ideas what to say next and looks desperately for help from her lady-companions* :o

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:07 pm
by aine
“… the ladies of Narnia send their apologies. Brook is feeling unwell. Master da Vinci has kindly lent us his studio to rest in and, er, read some poetry.” Elizabeth finishes, rather lamely.
“Although I’m open to better suggestions.”

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:02 pm
by Snapper

"That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. No gentleman will ask any questions."

"Ah, my apologies if that suggestion was ill mannered. The only women I have spent much time conversing with the last few years are the daughters of Rhodian fishermen and merchants. I'm sure I have become so impolite, my own mother should not recognise me."

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:52 am
by Philulhu
”If that is settled, may we move on? I fear my arms may be torn from their sockets if we must stand here much longer!” grumbled Gui.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy
"The hall to the right leads to stairs that go up to the guest quarters," said Leonardo, and the group set off. "If you ladies would prefer to go to supper, I would be happy to remain behind. I am an old man, and nobody would raise an eyebrow if I were too tired to attend. Besides, I would not mind spending some time with my...son."

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:43 am
by Philulhu
”If we could just decide quickly so the Chevalier and I may be relieved of our burden!” grumbled Gui, who marvelled at the amount of time that could be spent in discussion while he carried a large metal man… …

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:39 pm
by aine
“I think Story and I would be very happy to stay with you during supper.” Elizabeth says to Leonardo, glancing at Story. “It might be safer and we’ll not get in your way. Besides, Ivthink I’ve had my fill of broiled peacock.”

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:43 pm
by Snapper

Jacques continues trundling along with the armour, seemingly unfazed by its weight. The talk of dinner makes him contemplative.

"I must confess I have become rather partial to the Grecian food available in Rhodes. Oft times, after a long, hot day of training on the island, and an evening drinking beer or wine, one of my brother knights will slap the table and proclaim 'I could do great justice to some Grecian marinated, slow cooked meat wrapped in a soft flat bread!'"

"Then nothing will do but at shortly before midnight we will be finding a street vendor and buying serves of this dish. It may sound rustic and unpleasant but you have to try it before you judge it."

"You must never tell my mother I said that or I should be disowned."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:45 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m sure it cannot compare to the spiced lamb cooked by a Senegalese that I knew,” remarked Gui. ”Such flavours I have never known! And the spices!” He shook his head. ”Surely that is the finest of foods after a long night!”

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 am
by Snapper

"Indeed? I have tried very little food from the Africas, I must confess. I have heard it can be so fearfully filled with spices from afar that it can make a grown man weep but yet come back for more. And is said to be a miraculous cure for unwellness and ague caused by too much wine."

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:13 pm
by Philulhu
”The hotter the spices the better, so I’m told, You should try it,” said Gui mischievously. ”But, fascinating as this conversation is, we’re still stood in the corridor holding an infernally heavy metal man while my muscles ache and my stomach grumbles. Perhaps we can move on?”

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:30 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
Amusing repartee as we discover L'Argot's secret desire to join the Hospitallers as a sergeant, and a shared interest in foreign cuisine! Nevertheless, happy to move onto whatever comes next.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:49 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm just waiting for one more player to post a reply before moving onward. You are walking and carrying the armor as you're talking.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:03 am
by StarSpawn
Story continues ahead of the group, as directly as possible, towards Leonardo's chambers.
If within earshot of Elizabeth's comment about staying with him during supper, she will indicate agreement.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy
The group reached the tower and climbed the stairs to the next level, which housed the guest quarters. Leonardo led the way back to his quarters, where Jacques and Gui stood the automaton where it had originally been at his direction.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:05 am
by aine
Oh my word. Full marks for getting late-night kebabs into an rpg!

Elizabeth marches over to the secret door that she knows about and looks for something to block it.
“Maybe I’m paranoid but I’ll feel safer if no one can come through here and surprise us. Unless it’s one of us, of course.”

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:27 am
by Philulhu
Monsieur Da Vinci , are you able to fix the latch such that it can only be opened from this side?” asked Gui.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, that's easily done," said Leonardo.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:36 pm
by DragonTurtleMK1
Brook took in all that was happening, having been in contemplation for some time. Men made of metal who spoke, begging for mercy like a true person, that was a story, and it played like some of the things she'd read from her time!

"I say that we allow Master da Vinci to take time with his son. The conversation at dinner should be riveting, but if I must affect a womanly malady, then I suppose I could play my part."

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:01 am
by Snapper

"I shall leave you then to go make myself presentable for the Duc at dinner." With a polite nod, Jacques heads back to his room to dress for dinner.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:04 am
by Philulhu
As if they weren’t late enough already, thought Gui to himself but he followed Jacques’ example and went and quickly changed for dinner.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:44 pm
by aine
Elizabeth turns to Brook,
“I’m sure we could easily swap roles; I’ll play the poorly one, you can go to supper and keep your ears open.”
I only suggested Brook be the poorly one because she had been quiet for a long time but it’s great she’s active again

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy

I just need to know whether everyone is staying or going before I split the thread. So far I know that Gui and Jacques are going to supper, as will Jean Luc unless he gets a new player who makes a different choice. Story wanted to stay earlier, but I'm not yet sure if Brook agrees with Elizabeth's plan.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:13 pm
by DragonTurtleMK1
"Of course, if you intend to stay behind, then I might as well freshen up."

Brook gathered herself before stepping from the room to get ready for supper.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:08 am
by StarSpawn
Story is intrigued by the The Automaton and also any time with Leonardo. So she prefers to skip dinner.
(Sorry for being absent. Holidays and such...)

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"I shall remain behind too," said Diego. "Someone who can fight should be here, just in case."

Story and Elizabeth are moving to the thread linked below:

Adventures in Armorsitting

Everyone else is moving to the thread linked below:

Late for Dinner