Page 1 of 1

Hawkins-chapter 2

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:37 pm
by kabukiman
8 November, 1983
7 A.M.
You have spend the last 10 hours driving until you arrived at the outskirst of the town; you are low in gas, you are hungry but you see a small restaurant already open with a gas station. There are two old men in a table outside drinking something.

Re: Hawkins-chapter 2

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's get some breakfast," says Alicia, who is driving. "And a fillup."

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:18 pm
by Snapper

"Willco." With a groan, Jalapeno staggers out, stretches his back until it snaps and crackles, then staggers over to gas up the vehicle. He pops a fresh toothpick in the corner of his mouth.

Out of habit he checks out the two old-timers, and whatever they're drinking, as he stands by the bowser. "Breakfast then we probably should go make ourselves known to the local PD."

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:38 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose pops to the restroom to relieve herself, 'That's what having children does to you,' she grumbles to herself. Looking around she takes in the surroundings, the vegetation and general air quality, looking for any sign of environmental degradation or pollution, force of professional habit.

L70%d%

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:12 am
by kabukiman
The place is clean (it's earluy in the morning). Inside you see a man in his early 50's serving a pie to a kid, then he brings more coffe to the old men who are reading a journal and speaking about sports.
The man come then in your direction and asks:
"Hi! What can I do for you?"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:44 pm
by Snapper

Jalapeno grins around the toothpick. "Hot black coffee and a serve of something hot and maybe greasy for breakfast would make a world of difference."

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Coffee, bacon, and eggs would hit the spot!" says Alicia. "And fill 'er up, please."

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:00 am
by Snapper

"Too late, I'm already there," Jalapeno calls to Alicia as he starts filling the vehicle up himself.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:02 pm
by Mephistophilis

After completing her ablutions, Rose looks over the menu and places a hand guiltily over the bulge in her waistband. 'Poached egg on toast please...' she asks weakly. 'Hold the butter,' she adds with a pang of disappointment.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:16 am
by kabukiman
After some minutes, he brings the food. It is surprisingly good. He leaves you and return to his other costumers (who are still speaking about sports).

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:19 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno takes the time to appreciate his meal. Good food is to be celebrated.

He glances at the windows between munches, looking to see if there are any missing person flyers. "Doesn't seem like the sort of place major crimes take place."

"Are we happy with the cover story I suggested? Proactive investigation by joint federal agency team, supported by a forensic expert on loan from the EPA. Just here to assist local PD, not taking charge."

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like a good plan to me," says Alicia between bites. She's also savoring the food, eating it slowly.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:35 pm
by kabukiman
OOC Can we advcance to the police station?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:26 am
by Mephistophilis

Rose picks over her breakfast gazing longingly at her companions' food. 'Sure, just helping out with the lab stuff, that's me.'

OOC:   Happy to move on  

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"That was awesome!" says Alicia when she finishes. "We should eat every meal here while we're in town."

I'm ready too.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:54 am
by Snapper
OOC:   To the police station!  

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:22 am
by kabukiman
You arrive at the police station: You see 4 policeman talking each other a bit nervous and a women in a desk. They all look at you but continue talking. The women asks:

"May I help you?"

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:23 pm
by Snapper

Jalapeno is ready for this and already has his badge wallet in hand. He flips it open for the lady at the desk and smiles politely.

"We're special agents and we've been sent to assist with this missing child case. We need to speak to whoever's in charge here please."

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi!" says Alicia with a friendly smile and an extended hand, her identification displayed in her other hand. "I'm Special Agent Alicia Catera from the FBI. Finding missing children is my specialty."

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:11 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose stays in the background and mutters something quietly about being a consultant seconded from the EPA.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:20 pm
by kabukiman
Her eyes open wide and she seems very surprised.
"Really? That is wonder... I mean, I wasn informed. In charged. Yes, that is Jim, I mean chief Hopper He is not here at the moment, I'l just contact him. Meanwhile I'l introduce to our deputiess. Just ask anything you need."
You notice she makes a quick sign and two deputies (one a black man, the other a white with glasses) aproach slowly.
"This are Sinclair and Wheeler" (they both nod and before they can open their mouth, she says: "FBI" and they react very surprised).
The women immediatly starts doing a call and one of the deputies asks
"What can we do for you?"

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, hi!" says Alicia. "I'm Special Agent Alicia Catera. It's more a matter of how we can help you. My colleagues and I were sent to assist you in locating Will Byers. You'll still have the lead in the investigation, of course. We're here to help however we can. Why don't you start by telling us what you've found in your investigation so far?"

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:33 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Sorry for the confusion: you are the agents from the FBI. Sinclair and Wheeler are just local police (she is presenting you as the FBI)

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

Whoops! I understand now. I've edited my post.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:58 am
by Snapper
OOC:   I am no expert but I believe your normal uniformed member of a US police dept is referred to as Officer, as in "Officer Smith"? As opposed to a sheriff's dept which would have deputies or state police who have troopers. All to be distinguished from plain clothed investigators who are detectives, and finally us feds who are special agents.

I am basing this on tv, movies and books, and may yet be wrong. :D  

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:02 am
by Snapper

"Martinez," Jalapeno says around the toothpick. "Just think of us as extra boots on the ground to help out. We're definitely not here to take over. Hopefully, this kid turns up safe and sound soonest, and you won't even need us."

He holds his hands out politely to shake with the various officers.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

As an American, I can confirm that you're correct. In some European countries, such as France, they may be referred to as agent (i.e., l'agent de police).

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:36 am
by kabukiman
"Oh? That is good. I hope he just run away, but I doubt, he was a nice boy. The problem uis that we don't have many clues: We search at the area, we found his bicycle, but no trace of him."

You all hear the women making a call frenetic and saying:
"Just come here, there are several FBI's! Yes, now!"

OOC: Thank you, I corrected the text.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that's a help," says Alicia. "Where did you find his bicycle? We'd like a look at it, and the place where you found it. I'm hoping he just ran away too, but it would be strange for him to do so without his bike. And who is she? Is she normally this high-strung?"

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:14 am
by kabukiman
"It was near his house, at the side of the road, like if he had abandoned it. She is Miss Andrew, she works here. You have to excuse her, we are all a bit nervous".

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"You don't have to be nervous because of us," says Alicia with a smile. "Like I said, we're here to help."

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:32 am
by Snapper

"Do you have a map of the town that we could look at? It would help us get our bearings."

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:53 pm
by Mephistophilis

Hearing the woman's call, Rose goes to talk to Miss Andrew. 'That poor mother, she must be frantic with worry,' she notes sympathetically. 'Is that who you were calling?'

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:33 am
by kabukiman
She blushes and then says:
"Hum, I was calling the sheriff. He was... busy but will arrive quickly."
Everyone seems a bit embarrassed
"Yes, I have here a map" (she seems relieved to change the subject).
"We are here and Will vanished somewhere in that part (she makes a circle outside of the town in the road at east, but still near). He lives about two miles in a house outside the town with his mother and older brother"

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll want to check out the scene," says Alicia, "and we'll want to talk to the mother and the brother. What did they tell you? What date and time did they last see him?"

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:42 pm
by Snapper

"We better wait to introduce ourselves to the sheriff. Be diplomatic. But I agree, definitely visit the crime scene and the family home. Probably in that order. Once we've said hi."

"Of course, the sheriff might have some different plan for us. Wait and see I guess."

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:53 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose awkwardly outs her hand over the woman's for a second, trying to be reassuring. 'Of course...' She waits for a few seconds to see if the sheriff will arrive. When he doesn't she asks, quietly, 'Do you have the, you know, statements, from the witnesses and the family, the last person to see him?'

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:28 am
by kabukiman
"Joyce, I mean, Will's mother was working at that hour, she does double shifts; his older brorther was working too. He is still in school, but had to get a job to help to pay the bills, Wait a second, I have the statement somehere here".- she starts looking in a pile of papers.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can help you look," says Alicia.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:49 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Alicia make a spott hidden roll

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia searches through the papers, but without success.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking for the statement:
d%

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:17 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looks around at the various locals. "Have there many other kids who've gone missing over the years? I guess some kids run away in every town and city."

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:38 am
by kabukiman
"Hum, not here, but in every town nearby there have been a missing in the last years, but as you say that is normal."
Suddenly a new person enter: his eyes are red, he smells a lot of aftershave... and alcool.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:34 pm
by Snapper

"I think this is the police chief," Jalapeno says quietly to the others.

Rather cautiously, he strides over to the chief. "Chief, Special Agent Martinez. My colleagues and I have been sent to lend a hand. We're not here to get in the way, just think of us as three more pairs of boots on the ground, helping with the search, courtesy of Uncle Sam."

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"And I'm Special Agent Alicia Catera," says Alicia with a smile. "How can we help?"

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:18 am
by kabukiman
He starts coughing and then speaks.
"I'm Chief Hopper. I'm surprised that you were sent to this case, did you piss of your superiors? Nah, I'm joking, we always complain that the feds don't care and when they send someone we treat you like this. All help will be welcome. Did my people debrief you?"

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:58 pm
by Mephistophilis

'They were just getting started,' mumbles Rose, diplomatically.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia giggles. "I think we're going to get along great, Chief!" she says.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:08 am
by kabukiman
"Well, I was thinking to make a visit to the father, if you want to join me, I'l give you the details by the road".

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:07 pm
by Snapper

"Absolutely, chief. That sounds an excellent plan."

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Count me in too!" says Alicia.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:25 pm
by kabukiman
He goes out of the station and enters in a car. After starting the engine he says:
"To be honest we are still in th dark of what happend. Will is a nice boy, good student, never been in trouble. He always hang with 3 other boys who are good kids too. The day he disapeared, they were together in Mike's house playinbg as they usually do; Mike is the son of one of my deputies. Well, they all left Mike's house about 7PM. Will and Dustin rided a part of the road together and then split and Dustin was the last person to see him. I asked the kids if he was worried or seemed diferent, but they told me that he was normal. Will's mother and her other son arrived much latter, near 11. PM an they assumed he was already sleeping. It was only in the morning that Joyce went to awake him, and notice he wasn't at home. She went to the statio, I made some inquiries to be sure that he simply wasn't in some other place and they I give the alert and we immediatly made a search between the place he split from Dustin and his house. We found the bycicle near the house. I didn't say anything to Joyce, but I have a bad feeling about this. Any questions?"

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"What are his friends' names, and where do they live?" asks Alicia. "We'll want to talk to them later." She wonders, considering his statement about a bad feeling, if the chief is a Star Wars fan.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:14 pm
by Mephistophilis

'What did you find with the bicycle?' asks Rose. 'Any signs of damage? A struggle? Tracks?'

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:11 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno considers for a while. "Definitely want to see where the bike was found. Chief, are there any problem groups in town? Serious drug users or suppliers, ex-cons, that kind of thing?"

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:34 am
by kabukiman
"His friends are Dustin, Lucas and Mike; Lucas and Mike are the sons of the two deputies that were in the police station. I have already spoken with them, but I guess it won't hurt. The bycicle was intact but it was in side of the road like if he had abandoned in a hurry and that worries me. We don't have gangs here or orhanized crime. Sure, some kids sell marijuana but it is a very low profile business. You need to go to nearby cities to get that kind of trouble."

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'll want to look at the scene where the bike was found later too," says Alicia.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:36 am
by Snapper

"OK, let's see what the father has to say, I guess."

"As well as checking out where the kid's bike was left, and speaking to the parents, might be useful to talk to his little friends too."

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:40 pm
by kabukiman
"Of course I'm eager to see your special interrogatory techniques. We are almost there".
After a while, he leaves the main road, and drives for about a minute; this area is full of dilapidated houses. He stops in one that seems even worst then the local houses, it seems it will crumble anyday, full of trash in what used to be a garden. and says:
"It's here. Enjoy the view"- he says with sarcasm

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What do you know about the dad and his girlfriend?" asks Alicia.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:39 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno jumps out of the car as soon as it's stopped, anxious to start doing something, anything. He sticks a fresh toothpick in his mouth.

"Charming. He's done lots with it."

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose looks anxiously at the state of the property. 'Did he stay with his father much?' she asks.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:34 am
by kabukiman
"I don't know the girlfriend. I knew him from the time he was married with Joyce, Will's mother. He was charming, good-looking, but was alergic to jobs and loved to spend time with other ladies. Anyway, I don't know the details, but Joyce one day kicked him. It's hard to raise two kids alone, but she is better like this. I think he hardly sees his kids now"

The sheriff walks in direction of the door. He knocks twice; nobody answers; he knocks again (louder) and you hear a girls voice saying: "Coming!" After one minute, the door open and you see a young women, blonde, with 18 (maybe) dressed only with a blanket and she asks:
"What?"

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi!" says Alicia. "Is Mr. Byers home?"

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:35 am
by kabukiman
"Sure. Honey, there are some cops looking for you!"
She is looking at you with curiosity.
After one minute you see a man in his late 30's dressing a shirt.
"What is this about? I haven't done anything wrong".

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
With a mother's sense of compassion, Rose gives him her best 'something's wrong' look to set the scene and says, 'We're looking for Will'.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:46 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno takes the toothpick out of his mouth. "We need any information you have, any suspicions, anything strange or out of place. The smallest thing could help."

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"When did you last see your son?" asks Alicia, watching him to try to determine if he's being truthful.

Psychology roll (50% skill) about Byers:
d%

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:03 am
by kabukiman
"Will is missing? I didn't knew anything."- he says puzzled. "Is that the reason why she has been phoning all day? I thought she wanted money and asked Tifanny to tell her I wasn't. Where is my son?"

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:27 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno studies the father to see if his immediate reaction seems legit.

"We're here to help but we need information from you, right now. Anything strange, anything off, people you have issues with. Could anyone be using the boy to get to you? It's important we get this information quickly, so we can narrow down where to search."

1d%pHL40%

OOC:   Fail.  

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're hoping you can help us find him," says Alicia. "When and where did you last see him?"

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
pHL5%d%

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:23 am
by kabukiman
"Let me think... it was this summer, maybe in August in their house. I had an hell of a figth with my ex-wife, she was asking for money. After that I think I have speak with him maybe once by phone. And no, I don't have enemies. I don't have enougth money to have enemies."- and he starts laughing with his joke.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"And nobody tried to contact you?" asks Alicia. "No ransom demands?"

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:05 pm
by Snapper

Jalapeno does a casual 360 degree look about him, looking at the house and yard but also looking out for anyone strange up or down the street, any odd vehicles or the like.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:08 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose also peers around inside the house. 'Is there anything of his here that we could take a look at?' she wonders. She doesn't know much about missing person investigations but she's seen enough cop shows to remember that they always take a close interest in the bedroom and possessions of a missing child.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good idea," says Alicia. "We'll want to check his room at his mother's house too. He might have kept a diary that nobody found yet. I know all the good hiding places."

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:42 am
by kabukiman
"Sure, you can enter."

OOC: Spot hidden roll

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:20 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd60%

OOC:   Success.  

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, sir," says Alicia, entering the house and taking a look around.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking for Will's stuff:
d%

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:50 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose isn't an investigator but she has her own children and knows what to look for. She studies the house carefully, trying to see past the detritus of Will's father and his girlfriend to see if there's anything here that could be his.

pHdd70%d%

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:37 pm
by kabukiman
The place is a mess. Unwashed cloths, dishes in the sink and lot's of other things you prefered to ignore. But you don't see any proof that Will have ever been here

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:39 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looks over at the Chief. "I think this is a bust, Chief. Doesn't look like the kid spends much time here. Thankfully."

As an after thought, he looks over at the alleged father. "Seen anything strange lately? Odd people, cars you don't recognise, anything out of the ordinary?"

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"What can you tell me about your son?" asks Alicia. "What are his interests? Are there any places that are special to him, or that he might like to visit?"

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:55 pm
by Mephistophilis

While the others talk to the father, Rose corners the girlfriend and makes small-talk. 'You see much of the boy? Anything odd about him you think?' She figures a relative stranger might have a better insight into the idiosyncrasies of the boy than his own father.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:26 pm
by kabukiman
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:38 am Image

"What can you tell me about your son?" asks Alicia. "What are his interests? Are there any places that are special to him, or that he might like to visit?"
"Hum, I think he likes... football? To tell the true, I never spent much time with him. But I used to go fishing with my older son. Not that he liked. "

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:27 pm
by kabukiman
Mephistophilis wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:55 pm Image

While the others talk to the father, Rose corners the girlfriend and makes small-talk. 'You see much of the boy? Anything odd about him you think?' She figures a relative stranger might have a better insight into the idiosyncrasies of the boy than his own father.
"I never say the kid. I'm living here about 6 months, and he never came here. Thank God, I hated to be a babysitter"

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:29 pm
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:39 am Image

Jalapeno looks over at the Chief. "I think this is a bust, Chief. Doesn't look like the kid spends much time here. Thankfully."

As an after thought, he looks over at the alleged father. "Seen anything strange lately? Odd people, cars you don't recognise, anything out of the ordinary?"
"Well, yes, but nothing related to me. I mean, there are very shady people living in the area, but I don't mind in their business, and they leave me alone".

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:19 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looks interested. "Can you be a bit specific? What kind of shady people? Where do they live, what are they up to?"

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is there anything your sons did together?" asks Alicia. "Any special place they would go?"

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:04 pm
by Mephistophilis
kabukiman wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:27 pm "I never say the kid. I'm living here about 6 months, and he never came here. Thank God, I hated to be a babysitter"
Giving a pained smile, Rose seethes inwardly. She nods towards the father. 'Does he ever meet up with them? Talk on the phone?'

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:23 am
by kabukiman
Mephistophilis wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:04 pm
kabukiman wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:27 pm "I never say the kid. I'm living here about 6 months, and he never came here. Thank God, I hated to be a babysitter"
Giving a pained smile, Rose seethes inwardly. She nods towards the father. 'Does he ever meet up with them? Talk on the phone?'
Rose and Tifanny
"Most of the time he and his ex are shouting each other. He may have speak with the brats, but I don't pay attention".

Jalapeno, Alicia and Lonnie
"I don't know what kids do in this days. Watch tv maybe?
About people living here, as I said, I don't know what they do, but since most people don't have a job, they are probably doing something illegal. Is there a reward if I discover anything?
"- he asks hopeful.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Yes, of course,' says Rose through gritted teeth. Unable to stand a moment longer with this woman she asks, 'Mind if I take a look around outside?'

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"They play video games now, too," says Alicia. "How do Will and his brother get along?"

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:59 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looks over at the police chief. "Any guesses what shady people he's talking about, Chief?" Or of sight of Byers, Jalapeno gives the Chief a look that suggests he thinks Byers is full of crap.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:54 pm
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:59 am Image

Jalapeno looks over at the police chief. "Any guesses what shady people he's talking about, Chief?" Or of sight of Byers, Jalapeno gives the Chief a look that suggests he thinks Byers is full of crap.
"You are right. I think we are loosing our time here, he doesn't know anything"

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:04 pm
by kabukiman
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:19 am Image

"They play video games now, too," says Alicia. "How do Will and his brother get along?"
"They go fine. I mean I suppose they may discussa a bit, but my ex doesn't tell me much".

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:05 pm
by kabukiman
Mephistophilis wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 pm Image

'Yes, of course,' says Rose through gritted teeth. Unable to stand a moment longer with this woman she asks, 'Mind if I take a look around outside?'
"Sure"

The girls sit in the couch and start watching tv.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, sir," says Alicia. She also goes to take a look around outside.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:19 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose walks around the outside of the house, looking for any signs that the boys might be here more often than Lonnie is saying, maybe a kid's bike, something like that. But from the irresponsible attitude of him and his girlfriend she'd be surprised if the boys wanted to spend much time with their deadbeat dad.

pHdd70%d%

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia doesn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking around outside:
d%

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:05 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno sticks a fresh toothpick in his mouth and looks at the Chief. "Worth a try, Chief, but not worth wasting more time on. Ready to leave?"

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:54 am
by kabukiman
There isn't any proof that the kid have ever been her, it seems that the father is telling the true.

Jalapeno:
-Yes, let's return to Hawkins. We will speak with Joyce, so you may know her".

OOC: Can we advance?

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:22 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Yes please.  

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes, I'm ready.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:02 am
by kabukiman
As soon as you arrive at the car, the chief receives a call
"Chief? Thank God! Something terrible happened. It seems that Benny..." (she pauses) "commited suicide."
"What? I'm going as fast as I can".
He turns to you and says:
"Sorry, we will visit Joyce latter".

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:21 pm
by Snapper

Jalapeno clenches the toothpick between his teeth and buckles up. "Who's Benny?"

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Okay, let's go," says Alicia, getting into the car and also buckling her seatbelt.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:11 am
by kabukiman
"He is the owner of a nice little restaurant with a gas station and he is... was a good guy".

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why would he have killed himself?" asks Alicia. "Was he going through some bad stuff?"

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:04 am
by kabukiman
"Not that I knew. He loved his job and everebody loved him. This is not my lucky day".

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:18 am
by Snapper

"Well, don't drive slow on our account, Chief." Jalapeno clenches the toothpick between his teeth.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe he didn't really kill himself, then," says Alicia. "We should treat it as a crime scene until we know differently and keep an open mind."

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:34 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:18 am Image

"Well, don't drive slow on our account, Chief." Jalapeno clenches the toothpick between his teeth.
He relax and and say:
"Roger that".
He starts driving much faster and after a quick ride, you arrive at the restaurant where you have taken the breakfast. It's near noon and you see the two policeman that you have met at the station with an old lady.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should interview whoever found the body first," says Alicia.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:35 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno chews toothpick thoughtfully and tries to walk a diplomatic line. "Chief, if he was a friend of yours, maybe you don't need to see him now. We can do that, we're all qualified and experienced. Spare yourself the pain, maybe."

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:24 pm
by Mephistophilis

Not sure that she wants to see the scene of a suicide, but drawn by a morbid curiosity, Rose sticks with the others. It's quite the coincidence having a disappearance and a suicide within a few days of each other but Rose isn't sure how unlikely that is statistically, even in a sleepy place like Hawkins. 'Chief, do you get many unexpected deaths around here? Murders, suicides, disappearances? Is this a coincidence or could they be connected?'

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:34 am
by kabukiman
"We never had such things like this! I'm working here for 10 years and nothing likme this. Sure you had an ocasional brawl in a bar, some roberies ocasionally, but this? And don't worry, I will do my job. But you can ask the questions if you want"
He exit the car and joins the other two police. They take you to the kitchen: there is an exit door (closed) and the body. You recognize the men who served you the breakfast: he has a single hole in his forehead and a pistol in his right hand (a glock 17).

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:43 pm
by Mephistophilis

With much trepidation, Rose looks at the body. She opens her bag and takes out some latex gloves. She doesn't normally deal with human remains but needs must. While trying to avoid touching anything that might contaminate the scene she tries to get an idea as to whether this was a suicide or something else.

d65%d%

pHdd70%d%

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia surveys the scene thoroughly without touching anything.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) examining the scene:
d%

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:29 am
by kabukiman
Mephistophilis wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:43 pm Image

With much trepidation, Rose looks at the body. She opens her bag and takes out some latex gloves. She doesn't normally deal with human remains but needs must. While trying to avoid touching anything that might contaminate the scene she tries to get an idea as to whether this was a suicide or something else.

d65%d%

pHdd70%d%
It is a odd way to commit suicide. It is not a very confortable way to put the weapon in the head.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:35 am
by kabukiman
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:57 am Image

Alicia surveys the scene thoroughly without touching anything.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) examining the scene:
d%
You notice that some things seems like if they are out of place and stacked.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"This scene looks staged to me," says Alicia, pointing out what she noticed.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:23 am
by Snapper

Careful not to touch anything or tread on any evidence, Jalapeno squats down to examine the body. He focuses on the handgun initially. "DEA makes you spend a lot of time at the range," he says to the others with a shrug.

"Glock? Weird. That's one of those fancy new Austrian handguns. Definitely not what I would expect a guy runs a diner in a small town to own. I'd have been expecting a 38 special, something like that. Or something ex-military, if he was in the Services."

"Chief, you know your friend even own a gun? Let alone a fancy, brand new, European one."

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should test the body's hand for powder burns," says Alicia. "If he fired that gun, we'll find them. If we don't find them, that means he didn't fire it."

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:00 pm
by Mephistophilis

Nodding with the others, Rose points out the angle the gun is being held. 'This was staged. He didn't shoot himself holding the gun like that. The question is why was he killed and who did it? Chief, did he have any enemies, anyone who would want to get rid of him?'

She steps back from the body and takes a look around the room. 'So who found him?'

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:52 am
by kabukiman
"Sure he have a gun, let me show you".
The chief goes to the counter, and behind it, he retires an hunting riffle.
"This is his weapon. Never saw that pistol in my life and I doubt it belongs to him." Suddenly his eyes get wide with realization.
"Murdered? No, he didn't have enemies. Specially someone tryng to stage something like this. The old lady outside is the one who found him".

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's talk to her, then," says Alicia.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:33 pm
by kabukiman
You all join the lady. She is about 70's, very small, with grey hair and glasses.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello, ma'am," says Alicia with a smile. "My name is Alicia. My colleagues and I are helping the police, and we'd like to ask you a few questions. I'm sorry about what you went through. It must have been quite a shock. Do you know what time it was when you found the body?"

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:40 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looks over at the boss-cop. "Chief, you got an exotic, rare firearm, strange angle of entry, and no particular reason to think the guy was suicidal. I think you should treat this as a crime scene. A murder crime scene."

Chung Chung!

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:17 pm
by Mephistophilis

Nodding along with Alicia's questions, Rose repeats, 'A real shock, a real shock!' Following up from the question about the time she asks, 'Was the diner open? Anyone else around, any vehicles? And what brought you here today?'

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:19 pm
by kabukiman
Alicia and Rose

"Yes, it is a real shock, I came here everyday to buy a pie to lunch at the same hour and he has one ready for me. You see, my grandson loves them so I bring one to him. He is closed at this hour but he makes an exeption for me since I am good costumer. So, I came here, but I saw two big cars leaving the place, what is the name you call it? Van? I think so. They were black and I thought to myself that was odd, because at this hour it couldn't be one of the suppliers and they don't have any black van, they are all white. They went very fast and I thought to myself "where is the police when you need one? They are violating the speed limit. Well, I came to the door behind, the one in the kitchen because Benny said once that if anyone else saw me entering at the front door, they could ask fot the same. So I entered and called him and at that that moment I saw Benny in the floor."
She stops speaking and sobs, she seems very nervous. After a while she resumes.
"Well, I went to the phone and called for an ambulance and then I called the police. I went outside to the front door so I diidn't have to stay with hoim, may God have mercy of him. Why would he do that? And since he prepared a pie anyway and left in the usual place, why did he kill himself in a place that splashed the pie with blood? That wasn't very nice of him."

Jalapeno
The chief hears what the old lady says and then to Jalapeno:
"Two vans? What the hell was he dealing? Even if it was some drug business that went wrong, this seems to sophisticated to a place like this."

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:52 pm
by Mephistophilis

Placing a reassuring hand on the old woman's arm, Rose says 'We don't know what happened yet. Don't judge Benny. These things happen for complicated reasons. I don't think he meant to get blood on your pie.' Then she asks, 'Did you notice anything else about the vans? The people driving them? Any markings? The license plate? And what direction did they leave in?'

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're doing great," Alicia assures the witness, offering her a handkerchief. Rose has already asked the questions that came to her mind. "We'll have to check for tire tracks behind the diner."

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:36 am
by Snapper

With gloved hands and a pen, Jalapeno carefully checks the dead man's pockets, without moving the body.

"You're right, what motive would anyone have for such a complicated murder, here, and with this man? Something big is missing from the picture. We need to search this place." He looks about, wondering what could be hidden in the diner.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:18 pm
by kabukiman
Alicia and Rose
"I didn't see the plate, but they went to outside the town, to the east."

Jalapeno
"Good idea, maybe we find something."
Make a spott hidden roll

Meanwhile, there is a small crow outside the restaurant.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What do you know of that's outside of town to the east?" asks Alicia.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:33 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd60%

OOC:   Success.  

Jalapeno is eagle-eyed and keen to start investigating.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:30 am
by kabukiman
Alicia
"Well, there is the road to another town. And before that of course is the powerplant from the goverment"

Jalapeno
He notice a drawing made by a child. It represents a a small child alone in a room and a lor of people staring to her.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, they could have been going to the power plant," says Alicia. "From your description they sound like government types. What do you know about the power plant?"

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:26 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looks at the picture, slightly creeped out. He fishes an evidence envelope out of his jacket, folds ithe picture and places it in the envelope, then tucks it into his jacket.

He looks back to the police chief. "Chief, we're not telling you what to do, but I think we all agree this is a crime scene for a possible murder. We could leave you here to process the scene while we head east and try to find these black vans, if you are happy with that. We have our own wheels."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:43 am
by kabukiman
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:53 am Image

"Yes, they could have been going to the power plant," says Alicia. "From your description they sound like government types. What do you know about the power plant?"
"i don't know. The people from the place never come here. But that is normal, right? They must be busy doing whateaver they are doing to keep the place running."

Jalapeno
"Sure. Good luck to find them".

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"And yet they appear to have come here just recently, right around when someone died," says Alicia. "Thank you, ma'am, you've been a great help."

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:29 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looks over at Juniper and Juliet. "Shall we hump it back to the police station, and collect our wheels, then head east after these vans?"

Jalapeno is still curious about the child's drawing. As he's talking, he quickly looks to see what food was being cooked or just served before the owner somehow wound up with a bullet in his head. He's wondering if there's any obvious child's food.  

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:10 am
by kabukiman
Well, you find frozen eggo waffles half eaten in a plate.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:36 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno contemplates the Eggo waffles as he sticks a fresh toothpick in his mouth, waiting on his colleagues' responses. "Hmmm..."

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:16 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose watches Jalapeno bag up the crude drawing, something inside her, a mother's instinct tugs at her. She's thinking the same thing he is. She asks the old woman, 'Did Benny have any children? Nieces, nephews?'

OOC:   What age child would Rose think made that drawing? Could it have been the missing boy? Is the picture showing a girl or could it be a boy?  

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"More evidence he didn't kill himself," says Alicia. "If he were going to, he would have finished his waffles first. If they were his, and not someone else's."

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:58 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno chews on his toothpick. "Well, here's the thing, I thought the breakfast here this morning was pretty damn good. Benny was a decent short order cook. Anyone with his skills surely would be eating a breakfast a bit more adult than Eggos. Not that I'm against Eggos."

"Which makes me think the Eggos were for someone else. And adults would mostly choose his cooked breakfast if they had any taste and sense. So, I'm wondering if the Eggos were for a child?"

"And if I'm right, if the Eggos weren't Benny's but in fact were someone else's, child or adult, where is that customer now?"

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I still eat Eggos sometimes," says Alicia, "but you're right. That food was delicious! I'd eat it all the time over Eggos. So maybe the missing boy was here, and the guys who killed Benny grabbed him."

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:58 am
by kabukiman
Mephistophilis wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:16 pm Image

Rose watches Jalapeno bag up the crude drawing, something inside her, a mother's instinct tugs at her. She's thinking the same thing he is. She asks the old woman, 'Did Benny have any children? Nieces, nephews?'

OOC:   What age child would Rose think made that drawing? Could it have been the missing boy? Is the picture showing a girl or could it be a boy?  
"No, he was all alone."

OOC: Dificult to say, the person don't have any formal art training, but those aren't the drawings of a very young child, ince there are already included some details (like the correct numer of fingers). More than 10 and less than 18?

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:39 am
by Snapper

"Well, let's go pick our wheels up from the Police Station and have a look for these vans."

"Chief, do you think we could borrow a hand held radio from the Station?"

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, let's head out to the power plant and see what we can find out," says Alicia.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:35 am
by Mephistophilis

Nodding her head, Rose follows the others out. The picture is troubling her. 'Whoever did this is very dangerous. If they've got the boy there's no knowing what they might do. We need to move quickly.'

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:57 am
by Snapper
  I think the team is high-tailing it back to the police station to collect our vehicle, and hopefully one of the local had-held police radios (not that their range is going to be too great).

I assume our extra kit, like ballistic vests and rifles, is stored in the trunk of our car?  

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:57 am
  I think the team is high-tailing it back to the police station to collect our vehicle, and hopefully one of the local had-held police radios (not that their range is going to be too great).

I assume our extra kit, like ballistic vests and rifles, is stored in the trunk of our car?  
Yes
Can we move?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:35 am
by Snapper
  Yes, I believe so.  

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Onwards!  

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm ready too.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:59 pm
by kabukiman
After getting a car, you follow the instructions to get to power plant. You go by a secondary road, where few houses exist, in the forest. Suddenly, the road ends in a gate with a big wall, There is a huge poster saying "Hawkings power plant". There are also several warning to people stay away. It is getting dark.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:31 pm
by Mephistophilis

Getting out the car, Rose looks through the fence into the grounds of the power plant. She takes out her map to see how big the site is.

'What kind of power plant is this?'

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia looks through the fence too, hoping to catch sight of one or more vans.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:24 am
by Snapper

"I assume it's not nuclear." Jalapeno is clearly being ironic.

He examines the gate, looking for a buzzer or some way to attract attention from those inside.

What are the chances we have some binoculars in the work car?

Failing which, I believe Alicia requested a sniper rifle as part of our kit, which should be in the trunk. Jalapeno could just detach the scope and use it by itself as a mini telescope.  

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes, I did. The scope could help, just don't let anyone in the power plant see you've got it.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:58 am
by kabukiman
There is a buzzer,

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:09 am
by Snapper

"Well, let's see what the local power company has to say to Uncle Sam." Jalapeno buzzes the buzzer. "Federal agents," he calls out, in case there's a microphone somewhere about the place.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia has her identification ready.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose looks around the local area to see if there is anything about the site that she could use to engineer an inspection using her EPA credentials, water sources, protected habitats, anything she could use a pretext if the feds don't succeed.

pHdd70%d%

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:30 pm
by kabukiman
You can see after a while a a van coming in your direction. It stops (still inside) and you can see two menmen in an uniforme from the USDOE. One gets outside and asks:
"Yes?"

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Special Agent Alicia Catera of the Federal Bureau of Investigation," says Alicia, showing him her identification. "My colleagues and I are conducting an investigation. May we come in, please?"

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:55 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno regards the DOE guys with suspicion as he fishes out a new toothpick, turning his back to the van and occupants for a moment. Under his breath, he mutters to Rose and Alicia, "DOE? What the hell are they doing here? I thought this was just the local power company. This place isn't nuclear, these guys don't belong. Something's not right."

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:47 am
by kabukiman
"No, you cannot. Tell me what is the matter and then I'l speak to my superiors."
He seems cold and full of confidence. Not anoyed or suspicious.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"How about we speak to your superiors directly?" suggests Alicia.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:40 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno slowly and deliberately turns back around to glare at the man. He holds his DEA badge up.

"You have got to be kidding me. We're Federal Agents, investigating an urgent case where a life is at stake. The DOE is a department of the Federal Government. You have to assist us. We have the same boss, namely, President Reagan."

"So open up or go get your supervisor, if you like staying employed by Uncle Sam. And whatever you decide, do it fast."

Any chance Jalapeno can make a Fast Talk roll?  

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:32 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:40 am Image

Jalapeno slowly and deliberately turns back around to glare at the man. He holds his DEA badge up.

"You have got to be kidding me. We're Federal Agents, investigating an urgent case where a life is at stake. The DOE is a department of the Federal Government. You have to assist us. We have the same boss, namely, President Reagan."

"So open up or go get your supervisor, if you like staying employed by Uncle Sam. And whatever you decide, do it fast."

Any chance Jalapeno can make a Fast Talk roll?  

OOC: yes.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:55 am
by Snapper

1d%FL75%

Success.  

Jalapeno continues on with his theme of President Reagan expecting federal agencies to cooperate with federal law enforcement at all times, while waiving his DEA badge around a lot.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing that Jalapeno has things well in hand, Alicia merely smiles and tries to look pretty. His speech is making her feel more patriotic as well.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:58 pm
by Mephistophilis

Lacking any pretext to justify going into the compound, Rose is happy to stand back and let Jalapeno work his magic.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:13 pm
by kabukiman
"Ok, I'l take you to my superior."

He open the gate, check that nobody else is outside and point to the back of the van, the other driver seems a bit upset but don't say a word, he makes a quick turn in U and you can see after a while a huge building: there are several other black vans and the building is shaped in the form of a greek cross. You can count at least 5 upper levels. There is a door and a huge lateral gate with a size that allow trucks. He stops near the other vans, and your guide just say:
"Follow me".
He seems now more nervous and loosing his courage.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia follows, keeping her eyes open as they walk, paying special attention to the vans to see if there's anything unusual about any of them.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:37 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno mutters quietly for only Rose and Alicia to hear, "Is it just me or does this seem a bit overkill for the local power company? What are they powering, the whole Midwest?"

"I'm feeling less relaxed by the moment."

Does the layout of the building or anything attached to it give any clue to its use? Non-nuclear power generation would presumably be coal or gas fired, or possibly hydroelectric. If that were its function, Jalapeno would expect to see some obvious signs like big smoke stacks.

ALSO If there are any armed guards, Jalapeno is particularly interested to see what handguns the guards have, and specifically if they have these exotic Austrian "Glock" pistols.  

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:29 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose is feeling very out of place, and not reassured by the looks on her colleagues' faces. She keeps her eyes peeled for anything out of place, any sign this is more than just an unusually well protected power plant. She's looking for gas lines, power cables, chimneys and coal trucks, anything to suggest they're really generating electricity.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:03 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:37 am Image

Jalapeno mutters quietly for only Rose and Alicia to hear, "Is it just me or does this seem a bit overkill for the local power company? What are they powering, the whole Midwest?"

"I'm feeling less relaxed by the moment."

Does the layout of the building or anything attached to it give any clue to its use? Non-nuclear power generation would presumably be coal or gas fired, or possibly hydroelectric. If that were its function, Jalapeno would expect to see some obvious signs like big smoke stacks.

ALSO If there are any armed guards, Jalapeno is particularly interested to see what handguns the guards have, and specifically if they have these exotic Austrian "Glock" pistols.  
Rose and Jalapeno make a spott hidden roll

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
While she's trying to look for signs confirming this is a true power station, Rose keeps finding her eyes drawn to the guards and their guns. She's not at all comfortable in this situation with the latent threat of violence.

pHdd70%d%

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Do I get to roll too?

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:05 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd60%

Fail.  

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:47 pm
by kabukiman
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:36 am

Do I get to roll too?

OOC: no.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:23 am
by kabukiman
The vans seem ordinary, they could be or not the ones described by the old lady.
After a while, you are directed to a lobby where a tall blonde women (she is dressed in a black suit, seems more an executive) is waiting and asks bluntly:
"My name is Jennifer and I am the chief of security. What are you doing here?"

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:29 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno raises an eyebrow, not much interested in pushy security staff. He holds up his badge and launches into full Obey The Government mode.

"Special Agent Martinez, this is Special Agent Catera, and this is our forensic expert Ms Bradshaw. We're involved in an urgent, life and death, joint agency investigation and we expect your full support."

"Now, I thought this was just the local power company. Why is the DOE here? And why does this facility need such security? Is this nuclear or something?"

"And we'll need records is who has been coming and going from here over the last few hours. Particularly in those black vans outside."

"As I said, this is life or death. We need answers ASAP. And I'll remind you like we told your men, we all have the same boss, and that would be the President of the United States." Jalapeno taps his badge to emphasise the last point.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:36 pm
by Mephistophilis

Smiling meekly, Rose tries to avoid the intimidating gaze of the security woman.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alicia watches Jennifer carefully, trying to see how she reacts.

Psychology roll (50% skill) about Jennifer:
d%

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:27 am
by kabukiman
"I don't have authorisation to answer about the pwerplant and I don't see how that is relevant. About the records, I will have to ask my superiors, but I can answer you rigth now that we made a quick trip like to the town, stoped in a place to eat something and returned. Nothing of special. Now if you could tell me what is all about, it would be nice, so I could help you."

OOC: All make a psychology roll.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:22 am
by Snapper

1d%pHL40%

Success.  

Between service in 'Nam and convincing criminals to cooperate, Jalapeno has gained a bit of insight into the human psyche.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
pHL5%d%

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"DId you eat at the diner?" asks Alicia. "Isn't the food there to die for?"

Not sure if this means I get a second roll, but here it is if you want it.

Psychology roll (50% skill) about Jennifer:
d%

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:25 pm
by kabukiman
"I'm not a fan of food myself".

To Jalapeno: she is not lying (she was there), but there is a lot of things she is not telling... And she seems tense.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"One of your vehicles was observed leaving the diner," says Alicia.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:32 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno was not backing down. "We ask the questions. I don't know what's the deal here but we were expecting the local power company, instead we find the Department of Energy."

"Now, if you can't answer our questions, go get someone who can. But we will need to speak to everyone who went into Hawkins in those black vans this morning. Including you."

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll need to examine the van as well," adds Alicia.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:31 am
by kabukiman
"Well, it is quite late, so nobody of important is here, I'm the senior; you will have to come back tomorrow at 7 AM. But you can see the van if you want, I have no problem with that."- she smiles enigmatic

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're here, and you're important," says Alicia. "Where are the others staying, and who are they? We can't wait until tomorrow. As my colleague said, this is a matter of life and death."

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:39 am
by Snapper

"And I think we will have a look in all your vans too, thank you for the offer."

"I'm sure the DOE wouldn't want to been seen as covering for employees who have committed major crimes."

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:01 pm
by kabukiman
"No of course not. They are in some meeting outside of town can't give you any info."
She takes you to the vans. She order them to be open and they all have the strong smell of... bleach.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who cleaned these vans?" asks Alicia as she begins to inspect them.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:50 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno examines the vans with great care but little expectation.

"This is not making me happier, that's for sure." He looks over at the head of security as he chomps down on a new toothpick. "So, Jennifer, where do you and the other staff live? Hawkins?"

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:11 am
by kabukiman
"No, we have all our own rooms here. so we don't have to bother locals. About, the cleaning, we do this each time we use the vans, sorry for any inconvenience" You will have to wait for tomorrow to speak with my superiors. If you want I will call you as soon as they arrive. - she says with sarcasm.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, they're here?" says Alicia. "Well, you can just wake them up. Like we said, it's a matter of life and death. It can't wait until morning."

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:56 am
by Snapper

"As my partner said, we need to speak to everyone who went into Hawkins in those vans today. And we need to do it now."

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:59 am
by kabukiman
"They sleep here usually, but they are out today for a meeting, I already told you so. Return tomorrow early and I will get you to reunion."

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where are they meeting?" asks Alicia.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:39 am
by kabukiman
"I don't know that kind of details; they take an escort and inform the driver on the road"

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"What kind of security chief doesn't know the whereabouts of the people she's protecting?" asks Alicia.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:44 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno grits his toothpick in frustration. He looks at his colleagues, raising his eyebrows.

"This is getting us nowhere. I'm thinking come back in the morning with the police chief. Whatcha think?"

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:54 am
by Mephistophilis

Rose has been watching the back and forth nervously, feeling she has little to contribute. But she does lean over to Jalapeno to whisper, 'If we find them outside the plant would you have more authority than when they get back here?'

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:19 pm
by Snapper

Jalapeno glances back and whispers, "We'd definitely be in a stronger position, no doubt."

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:06 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Should we go looking for them? Or some of us wait for them to return?'

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"First let's see what answers we can get out of Jennifer while we're here," says Alicia.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:13 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno shrugs, happy to wait for the next response from Jennifer.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:13 am
by kabukiman
"I just obey orders. If they leave this place and only tell the driver what he need to k ows, it's not my problem".

She seems now (for the first time) to be sincere. And this all seems a bit paranoic for a simple power plant.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to go over your own movements today," says Alicia. "We'll need times and locations. We'll also need to see your security logs and any camera footage."

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
While the others question the power plant workers, Rose drops back and starts to walk around some of the perimeter, trying to get a look inside and also seeing the state of the trees and bushes surrounding the site.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:56 am
by kabukiman
Of course. Tomorow You will have access to everything, But not today. She says stubborn.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why not today?" asks Alicia. "You don't have anything to hide, do you? Like we keep saying, it's a matter of life and death."

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:08 am
by kabukiman
"Because I cannot give those tapes without superiors orders no matter what, do you understand?"
You can see she is adamant and won't change her position.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not even if you're presented with a warrant demanding their surrender?" asks Alicia. "That would be against the law."

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:09 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno chimed in at this point. "OK, this isn't getting us far. Let's come back in the morning with the chief."

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:08 pm
by kabukiman
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:57 am Image

"Not even if you're presented with a warrant demanding their surrender?" asks Alicia. "That would be against the law."
"But you don't have one, don't you? -She says with sarcasm.

They take you in one of the vans to the main gate. When you are outside, you see 3 kids in bicycles, far in the road. They look at you and then vanish.

You return to the town and then go to the nearest town where you are staying for the night.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's talk to the Sheriff and see if we can get that warrant tonight," says Alicia. "I don't want to give them time to destroy the evidence, and the trail will only get colder."

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:41 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Do you think we're likely to get a warrant?' asks Rose, not too familiar with police procedures. Glancing back to where the kids were she asks, 'I wonder what those kids were doing here?'

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:02 am
by Snapper

"Actually, he's the police chief, not sheriff. And I'm not sure that we have enough to go on to get a warrant. We suspect the diner guy has been murdered, not committed suicide. Vans from this place were nearby. And the kid is still missing."

"After that, we mostly have how strange this power company is. Which a local judge might just laugh at."

"We know we were sent here for a reason and we know that reason could be nasty, but that doesn't help us get a warrant."

"Maybe, we go talk to the Chief, touch base?"

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:00 pm
by Mephistophilis

'The Chief might have found some more information, more leads?' notes Rose, who is increasingly uncomfortable arguing with this intransigent woman, and putting their cover at risk.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then let's go see the Chief," says Alicia.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:19 am
by kabukiman
You drive quickly to the police station.
The place now is near empty (it is 9 PM); there are only two policeman.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:33 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno shrugged. "Life in a small town. I suggest we call it a night, get some dinner, come back bright and early,. See if we can get the Chief to get a search warrant."

"I don't think there's much more that's going to be accomplished tonight. If there's an ME, they're probably home finishing dinner. Whoever the nearest judge is to issue a warrant is probably home too. If the Chief discovered anything really urgent, I sure we would have been told. Hopefully."

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right." sighs Alicia. "We'll see if he left a message for us, then get something to eat. Do you think the diner would be open, considering? The food there was great, but I think that had a lot to do with the cook."

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:46 pm
by Mephistophilis

Rose looks disgusted, 'You want to go back and eat where that man...eugh.' Shaking her head and looking physically revolted, she heads into the station, 'At least they can tell is if they've found out anything more.'

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, maybe not," says Alicia, "but I'm not sure where else we can eat. And if they are open, I'm sure they could use the business now without their primary breadwinner."

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:58 am
by Snapper

"I'm happy with anything hot or cold that won't give me food poisoning but will stop the hunger pains."

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:36 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: So, what do you do? Try to find a place to eat, speak with the police?

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Let's speak to the police first.

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:21 am
by kabukiman
"Hi, how was your day?"

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi!" says Alicia. "It was good, except the security chief at the power plant is giving us the runaround. She won't cooperate with us until the morning. How's the investigation going. Are there any messages for us?"

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:21 am
by Snapper

"And where can we get a bite to eat around here at this time?"

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:32 pm
by kabukiman
"I know, those guy aren't exactly the nicest bunch, like if they working to another country and not the same as us. The chief came very worried from Mrs Byers house. I hope she doesn't do anything stupid, she still have one son. To eat, there is a place called "Best food". just outside the town in the main road at east. I must warn you, the food is nowhere good as the other places, but at this hour, it's the only one open."

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:47 pm
by Mephistophilis

Looking worried at the news about Mrs Byers, Rose asks anxiously, 'Could we contact the Chief and find out what he discovered?' She's hungry but she can also identify with the anxiety of a mother whose child has gone missing. What would she do? Go looking out in the dark?

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alicia. "I'd like to talk to him too, if we can."

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:02 pm
by kabukiman
The police suddenly seems embarassed
"Well... the chief at night goes to bed early and he usually don't receive calls. Oh, look, if you say that you are from the police at the restaurant, I'm sure they will make an extra effort and who knows, they may cook something decent."

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:04 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Oh, I hope the Chief isn't sick,' says Rose with genuine concern. 'Well, if there's no other option I suppose we could try this restaurant.'.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks again," says Alicia. "I'm sure the restaurant will be fine."

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:30 am
by kabukiman
Can we move to the restaurant?

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Sure  

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:46 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Yes.  

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

I agree.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:14 am
by kabukiman
You arrive at the restaurant. It is 5 miles outside the town; there are two cars only. When you enter, you notice that several lamps are blown and it is quiet dark; the smell is a mix of fried fat... and something else that you cannot identify. Only a patron is there, drinking a beer. A waitress in her 50's is smoking and watching tv, ignoring you.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hi!" says Alicia to the waitress. "We're federal agents helping the police with their investigation. They suggested that we eat here."

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:40 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno winced, pretty sure they were being set up by the local police and destined for some excellent food poisoning.

"Maybe just some hot chips and barbecue sauce, with a beer."

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:14 pm
by Mephistophilis

Looking around the restaurant, Rose desperately tries to find a menu. 'Not much chance of a salad,' she whispers to the others.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's okay," whispers Alicia. "I'm in the mood for something a little more nourishing."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:56 am
by kabukiman
She swears and put out her cigarette; then she come in your direction. Slowly. When she is near your table she says:
"At this hour I only serve burgs and chips. And I don't care your from tbe police. Specially with a drunk as a chief."

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:20 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno shrugged. "We're out of town-ers, never met the chief till today. We're just here to help with the missing kid. Burger, chips and a beer works for me, thank you."

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's fine by me too," says Alicia. "You know what this place needs? A Ms. Pac-Man machine!"

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:58 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Uhm,' stammers Rose, placing a hand over her belly. 'Yes, of course, burger and chips is fine.'

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:51 am
by kabukiman
She doesn't say anything and leaves you in direction of the counter where she starts preparing the food, watching the tv at the same time.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:59 am
by Snapper

"Burger, chips, and a beer. Somehow, the diet of my life. Fingers crossed no salmonella."

"Well, we wouldn't be here if this was just a missing kid. And now there's a power company that doesn't add up. I don't think the DOE do local county power. And I don't think they have security like that."

"County like this, you might expect a local coal fired plant, out to make a buck, probably breaching twenty EPA restrictions nobody gives a damn about. No offence, Bradshaw."

"Or else at a state level, something nuclear that would be huge, would be on every map and we would all know about. And would also be breaching twenty EPA restrictions."

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't mind, I was raised on this stuff!" says Alicia. "Well, except the beer. I had milkshakes instead. This place should have milkshakes. We should also talk to the other kids. They showed up at that place. They must know something about what's going on."

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:44 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Uh, sure, no offence taken,' says Rose. 'I could ring the office tomorrow and see what permits they filed for the plant, see what it's supposed to be anyway.' She tries to think if she did notice any obvious EPA violations, anything that would allow her to get access to the facility. 'I do think those kids might be able to tell us something but we'd need to approach them in the right way.'

70%d%

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm good at that," says Alicia. "I'm basically still a kid at heart. It wasn't that long ago that I was one for real."

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:08 am
by kabukiman
You start smelling ... burned hamburger? The waitress is distracted watching tv.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:37 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Um, excuse me...uh, the burgers...' Rose trails off. 'Never mind,' she mutters to herself.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think the food's ready!" calls Alicia. "Good thing I like it well done."

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:26 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno looked resigned. "Well, cremating the burgers might kill the salmonella. Looks like it's chips, BBQ sauce and a beer after all."

"Yeah, I'm happy for us to go talk to the kids tomorrow. One of you two better do the actual talking. I'll just scare the little bastards."

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:06 pm
by kabukiman
The waitress makes a curse, and returns quickly to the food. After a while, she brings several "crispy" hamburgers (all burned in one side and almost raw in the other). The chips... could be worst. She brings 3 beers.

Rose has noticed the following: the area of the plant is much bigger than a regular plant would need,

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll do it," says Alicia. She eats the edible part of her food, grateful that she has beer with which to wash it down.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:21 am
by Snapper

Jalapeno sighed. "Well, it wouldn't be a trip to the boondocks if local PD didn't send us to the worst diner in the county. I could probably eat less meat I guess." He raised his beer in toast to the waitress. "Better than 'Nam."

With surgical intensity, Jalapeno pulled the charred remains out of his burger, replaced it/them with chips between the bun-halves, and munched away between swigs of beer.

"We have to remember too, we wouldn't be here if this was likely just regular nickel and dime stuff. Suspect everyone. Our grade has a pretty high mortality rate."

With condensation from his beer bottle, Jalapeno traced a "J" with his finger for the other two, before wiping it away.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:51 pm
by Mephistophilis

Pushing the remains of the burger to the edge of her plate, Rose nibbles on her fries. 'That power plant. It's a bit big isn't it?' She waits for a moment to see if anyone else picks up on what she's said. 'I mean, for a power plant of whatever kind. The footprint. It's very large. It doesn't seem necessary. Like maybe there's something else on the site?'

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're right," says Alicia. "Something strange is going on there."

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:23 am
by Snapper

"Good. We're all agreed the power plant needs a follow up. Ideally with a warrant, which we will get the Chief to help out getting."

"And we want to talk to the missing brat's friends, maybe we do that first? Two good leads then. And if all that doesn't pan out, we haven't spoken to the rest of his family yet but that can wait."

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, that makes sense," says Alicia. "They've already had plenty of time to get rid of the evidence, and if we talk to the kids first, we'll at least have an idea what we're supposed to be looking for."

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:57 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Happy to move on to the next day if we're done for the evening.  

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:30 pm
by Mephistophilis

'In the morning I'll ring the office, see what they've got on the power plant,' says Rose. Pushing the greasy remains of her meal around the plate with her fork she says 'I think I'm done here, maybe we should go to bed for the night, I want to ring my kids. Meet up in the morning?'

OOC:   Happy to move on  

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Sure!" says Alicia.

I'm ready to move on too.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:31 am
by kabukiman
Ok, we will mlove to next day then.