Statement 5: The Road to Hell

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 5: The Road to Hell

Post by jp1885 »

'BRRRRRRRRRING!'

You march along the rain-slicked pavement to the ringing of the school bell. You see pupils piling out of their classrooms, happy that their lessons are finished for the day. Some are picked up in cars, while those walking home wait patiently at the school crossing.

Standing among the children is a plump, jolly looking woman in her late 60’s. She wears a high-viz coat and hat, and carries a lollipop-shaped stop sign. As she leads the children across the road she turns to look at you, head tilted. Around you, time seems to slow down and you feel an incredibly strong glamour emanating from her.

Weirdly, no-one else on this busy road seems to notice anything strange. Perhaps they lack your magical training and experience; perhaps they have grown accustomed to Mrs. Evans’ power; perhaps she has lifted the veil just for you.

Perhaps wickedness and guilt is not their cross to bear.

“Have you been looking for me, my dears?” asks Mrs. Evans, smiling pleasantly. “Are you crossing over or passing through?”

Evans.jpg
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Statement 5: The Road to Hell

Post by Snapper »

Skipper grunted, amused despite all. "Gordon Bennett. So much for covert obs, I think we're cream crackered."

"Pleased to meet you, Mrs Evans. Ah, are you an immortal vampire who sends people to Hell with your lollipop sign?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Just passing through, ma'am," says Jordan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des gritted her teeth, trying to fight back against the glamour. ”Way to go to get ‘er onside,” she sniped at Skipper, trying to keep it as normal possible, trying to fight the urge just to run away…
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Even under the powerful spell, Leo reflexively reaches for his warrant card as he draws inexorably closer. Old habits die hard. It slowly comes out as his brain melts with the effort to regain control.

"DC Leo Dansby...of the Met...and more recently, of The Folly. Yes, we have. It's a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, Ms. Evans."

"I hate to name drop...no, I don't hate to name drop. Not this time. You know who trained us, and if Varvara or Nightingale hear that you were anything but polite to us and extended us every courtesy while we are on your turf, I can't imagine the fallout for you."

"Also, every single one of us have Peter Grant on speed dial," Leo added. "You know who he's married to." He quickly corrects himself. "Err, to whom he's married. Imagine if Bev gets her Mom involved."

"So, if you would be so kind as to release us from the spell, we would appreciate your assistance in our enquiries."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

While parents and children walk around you, unheeding and in slow-motion, Mrs. Evans studies each one of you in turn.

"Ah, Raymond... no, you prefer Skipper don't you? No dear," she chuckles, "I'm not a vampire who sends people to Hell - merely a conduit for those who think themselves deserving of judgement. And Hell? Well, Preacher Jones might think so I suppose."

"You're passing through, are you Jordan? Passing through to where though? Do you even know?"

"And you, young Des - passing through too? Or running away again, just as Councillor Short ran?"

The town, traffic, and schoolchildren fade away, replaced by a lush green grove. The sound of birdsong and the tinkle of running water can be heard. Mrs. Evans is no longer wearing her lollipop lady uniform, but has long wavy hair that seems to merge into her flowing white robes. Instead of a stop sign, she carries a skull-topped staff.

"I'm sorry you feel the need to threaten me Leo - there's no need to be afraid. I'm casting no spell - I cannot help what I do, or what I am - it's always been this way since your ancestors first picked up a stone to break open a nut - or a skull..."

She turns to Izzy.

"I've been asleep for so long. The Romans and all that came after them - they all had their own beliefs and I wasn't needed any more. But then the preaching and the hymns and the anger and the fighting - it woke me up. Since then, I've been doing what I've always done."

Looking past you, she focusses her attention on Mr. Lewis.

"Sending the guilty to where they deserve to go..."

Lewis holds out his handcuffed hands and falls cowering to his knees.

"I'm a thief and a burglar. I like hurting people; I've beaten up people for money and for fun!" He wails in between sobs of terror.

Mrs. Evans nods.

“So the guilty judge themselves,” she announces. “I am both guardian of the Gate and the Gate itself."

The scene begins to shift again - the grove darkening as the air grows hotter and more stifling.

"This man is judged, but the rest of you - what do you want?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des had to bite down on her first instinct which was to tell the woman exactly where to go! ”Time’s moved on. We got police an’ judges an’ dat. We don’ need someone makin’ crim’s disappear. It’s time f’r u to retire…”” she said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe I don't know where I'm going," says Jordan, "but I've always enjoyed exploring the unknown, and the journey can be more important than the destination. As for Mr. Lewis, he is in police custody. You would have to follow the extradition procedures if you want custody transferred to you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper looked unreasonably cheered by this.

"OK, the nice lady is not a vampire. Doesn't look much like one neither. Relax a notch, ladies and gents."

"I must say, Mrs, the old dears, ah, ladies I had afternoon tea with today spoke very highly of you. Said you was well respectable. 'Touch of class' one said."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Looking around Eli comments, "I was right, the crossing is where the grove once was. What is your name? How did you re-awaken? Who awoke you? We've read about various disappearances throughout the years, but they are quite sporadic. If you had been handing out justice all this time they should be more...shouldn't they?" He asks looking in awe at Mrs Evans.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As the sky darkens, Mrs. Evans frowns quizzically at Des.

"Retire? From what? I am what I am dear. I don't judge anybody - I just provide the gateway. Back in the day, people would come to my
grove be judged. Through my power they weighed their own worthiness. Good folk were rejuvenated, wicked folk were never seen again."

To Jordan, she shakes her head.

"Have you not been listening dear? I don't judge - I'm just a conduit. Mr. Lewis here has judged himself. I've no wish to take him into my custody - where he's going... well, he's brought that upon himself."

At Skipper's comment, she blushes.

"Ah, they all love me around here. It's a nice town - there's always someone willing to offer cake or biscuits. I suppose they know what side their bara brith is buttered on."

To Eli, she tuts, her Welsh lilt hardening somewhat.

"Another one who hasn't been listening. I've already told you: I went to sleep, then the preacher woke me up. When he died during the riot, he went away like all the other wicked folk. Like I said - everyone's nice around here so there's not much crime, but occasionally you get a bad apple: Councillor Short, and now this fellow..."

At this, Lewis whimpers.

"...whose time has come I think. Preacher Jones is calling for him - I can still feel his presence you know. I can hear him ranting his prayers, even over Councillor Short's cries."

Are you really as guilty or innocent as you think? Another POW roll please.  

Return to “Rivers of London”