Page 1 of 1

Statement 4: Back to School

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:42 pm
by jp1885
Any effects from the school crossing quickly subside as you turn your backs on the road and face the educational establishment that is Cwmllyn Primary School.

It is a typically provincial example of such buildings: built in the 1970’s, obviously on the site of a smaller Victorian building (remnants of which can be found in the surviving chapel which stands a few metres away). Behind these buildings is a small playground, leading to a modestly sized playing field. Classes are in full swing, so the school is full of chatter and play. It is secure, with wire fencing and metal gates separating the small car park from the rest of the school. A sign directs visitors to reception.

Re: Statement 4: Back to School

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:29 pm
by Philulhu

”C’mon coppers, get ur badges out,” Des said dryly. She took a few steps towards the reception, then paused, looking back at Skipper. ”Better put ur camera away. Don’ want anyone gettin’ de wrong impression.”

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan also heads for reception.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
Eli walks into the reception, looking for thst list of staff members that's always on the wall, listing their names with their photos.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:08 am
by Snapper

Skipper looked at Des in surprise, eyebrows raised. "Nice! A much better line in banter and put-down than your usual 'e's a nob type effort."

"I guess my obvious comeback would be, well, at least I'm doing something. You know, trying to contribute, not being a tourist. But I'm not going to say that. I don't want to crush the newfound wit. I shall simply respond with manly silence."

"I'll wait outside the school. No real need for all of us."

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:35 am
by Philulhu

Des paused and looked back at Skipper. ”Aww… did I ‘urt ur feelin’s by callin’ u a nob? Well, u stay ‘ere an’ work on ur personality!”

She laughed, spun around and headed into the school.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:00 pm
by jp1885
Inside the School

Those of you going into the school find yourselves in a small reception lobby. A trophy cabinet proudly displays a modest number of inter-school sporting awards (mainly rugby), while a team photo identifies members of staff. One wall is entirely given over to a large colourful picture, drawn in crayon on stapled-together sheets of A3 paper. It is entitled "Our Town" and at a cursory glance, features various aspects of the town's history, as drawn by the children.

A polite cough emanates from an open wall hatch, through which a middle-aged lady is looking at you, somewhat alarmed, from a tiny office.

"Um, hello? Can I help you?" she asks.

Outside the School

Those of you loitering outside the school are left to weather the drizzle that continues to permeate.

After a few awkward minutes, you begin to attract attention from the locals - to wit: three elderly ladies. After a short discussion, they approach; curious, but not hostile.

"Are you alright?" one of them asks. "We saw someone fall over just now at the crossing."

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Good day, ma'am," says Jordan. "We were looking for Mrs. Evans. Do you know where we could find her?"

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:05 am
by Snapper

Skipper sighed and watched Des depart, determined not to let exasperation take hold. When the three elderly ladies approached, he was somewhat distracted, taking phone photos of the non-school parts of the nearby streets.

"What? Oh... Ah, excuse me ladies, I was in a world of my own. Thinking about nice photos of this village."

"Thank you for your concern but my colleague is OK. Wounded pride if anything. I mean, he fell over on a zebra crossing, how does anyone manage that?"

"Ah, are you long time residents of the village? I wonder if you might know the lollipop lady who does this crossing? I've heard she's a sort of village treasure."

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:53 am
by Trivun

Izzy ignores the bickering between Skipper and Des, but she does as suggested, taking out her warrant card to quickly display it for the woman at reception, if only to allay any concerns that she might have at the sight of several strange adults entering a school without a clear appointment. They don't exactly look like the board of school governors, after all. Though she makes sure the 'London Met' part of the card is hidden by a thumb so as to avoid any queries on why they're so far out of their usual patch.

"Don't worry, she's not in any trouble... we just wanted to ask if she saw anything with regards to the recent disappearance of Councilor Short. We're talking to anyone who happened to be present near the scene, and she's simply next on the list. Shouldn't take long and then we'll be out of your way."

She also puts on her best 'disarming the public' smile to reassure the receptionist.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:02 am
by Philulhu

Like Eli, Des had drifted away to study the school staff photos while the coppers tackled the reception desk.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Casting a glance over the team photo's Eli glances up and migrates to the mural.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:16 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 345 times

Leo straightens his tie and Picards his suit coat before extracting his warrant card and approaching the receptionist. While it was immaculate before they left this morning, the long drive took its toll and, like Eli after his last encounter with the beckoning black portal, looks a bit wilted. Nevertheless, he summons a warm smile as he allows her to see. "DC Leo Dansby, Met... It's a pleasure, ma'am." Only one chance to make a good impression, he reminds himself.

"We assure you that she's not any trouble,' he adds, realizing as he says it, that's what every cop in the cop shows says when the person is usually in a great deal of trouble indeed. "As my colleagues said, we hope she can assist with our inquiries involving the Councilor Short."

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 pm
by jp1885
Inside the school

The school receptionist is as startled by your credentials as your questions.

"Um, perhaps it's best if you speak to someone in authority. Miss Driffield, the deputy head, has a free period - I'll go and get her. Wait here please."

She scurries from out of her cubby hole and disappears into the school.

This at least gives you some time to study your surroundings a little more.

The staff photos show teachers, classroom assistants, office staff (including the lasy who has just rushed off - Mrs. henderson) and the senior leadership team. Miss Driffield, a young mixed-race woman, is smiling brightly. Interestingly, you cannot find anyone labelled as Mrs. Evans.

The mural drawn by the pupils shows various aspects of the town's history. It depicts spear-carrying tribesmen kneeling among green bushes, farming scenes, coal miners emerging from a pit head, tin-helmeted soldiers marching down Grove Street and a smiling lollipop lady helping children cross the road. Next to the lollipop lady, in a section coloured in reds and oranges, a bible-wielding man points at a small crowd of stick figures knelt in prayer outside what appears to be a chapel.

Please make an Observation roll  
------

Outside the school

"Ooh yes, we've lived here all our lives," the old ladies coo in unison.

"Well, I spent a few years in Merthyr Tydfil when my David got transferred there, but he's long since passed," one of them admits, somewhat ruefully. "So I moved back here to be close to our Darren."

"You're asking about Mrs. Evans?" says another. "Aw, isn’t she lovely? Touch of class too: never eats shop-bought when she can get homemade.”

“That's true. Keeps herself to herself. Lives somewhere on Grove Street I think.”

“Bless her for looking after them kiddies. No, she lives down Carpenter's Lane!"

"No she doesn't! I'm sure she lives on the new estate! Been here for donkeys years she has, come rain or shine."

The trio begin to bicker.

"That's where your Darren's wants to move to isn't it?"

"Don't be daft! He'll stay next to his mam!"

"Oh, you go and let him spread his wings!"

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:34 am
by Snapper

Skipper was getting a bit fearful a three-way bust up was about to happen. And with his luck he'd cop one in the eye holding the three ladies apart.

"Thank you ladies. Umm, where's the best place to get a cup of tea and maybe a scone hereabouts, do you think?"

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 am
by Philulhu

Observation (60) 1d100

Edit: Hard success 😎

Something catches Des’ eye…

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:48 am
by BoyBlunder78

Eli just admites the children's artwork......

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan studies the pictures keenly. He wonders just how old the lollipop lady is, but it would be rude to ask.

Observation roll (70% skill) in the office:
d%

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am
by Trivun
  Observation: 60%  
1d100

Izzy easily spots whatever the others do as well. She sighs a little as she hadn't been planning on revealing they were with the Met - no matter the importance of London, she was well aware that being from there didn't give them the right to operate over the whole damn country, and some people (especially in Wales) took a very dim view of the capital flaunting itself elsewhere, but never mind. As long as they can speak to this mysterious lollipop lady anyway.

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 pm
by jp1885
Inside the School

A closer inspection of the mural reveals the outline of more drawings next to the chapel that have obviously been rubbed out and coloured over, leaving a faint impression a stick figure hanging from a gibbet while a long-haired figure in flowing robes and holding a staff looks on.

A few moments later, the receptionist returns with Miss Driffield, looking very similar to her photo: a short, slightly built mix-race woman in her thirties. She has brown eyes, a round face, and dark hair.

"Hello there, welcome to Cwmllyn school," she says. "I understand you're the police? I hope nobody's in trouble. How can I help you?"

-----------------------

Outside the School

"Oh, there's the café down the road," one of the old dears replies. "They do a lovely bara brith."

"Oh yes - lovely! with a cup of tea!"

"Tea, yes. I know, let's show you the way - I'm a bit peckish myself!"

Skipper, you find yourself flanked by two of the ladies, who each link arms with you while the other marches on ahead.

"Come on then!"

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:43 pm
by Philulhu

Des’ didn’t say anything. She just looked at Jordan, then reached out tapped the erased figure in the drawing.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan nods, having noticed it too. "I'm a civilian consultant," he says, "so I'll let the police do the talking, but nobody here is in trouble. We just want to interview a potential witness."

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 am
by Trivun

Izzy nods at Jordan's words, glancing at the deputy headmistress.

"That's right. DC Izzy Cooper, seconded to the Dyfed-Powys Police to help with the search for our missing Councilor Short. We understand your lollipop lady, Mrs. Evans, may have seen something and just wanted to speak to her to find out what she witnessed at the site of his disappearance?"

She keeps her best 'talking to the public' voice and expression, but Izzy's notice can't help being drawn to the pictures on the wall, and more specifically, the impression of the images that were present before. Rather grim subject matter for a primary school...

"Were these done by the kids here? Impressive work, I assume it's about the history of the town?"

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:27 am
by Snapper

"Sounds proper lovely, ladies. Lead on. I do hope you will allow me to buy you all tea and the what's-its you mentioned."

"I can tell you about my lady vicar friend. Are you easily scandalised? Give me fair warning now and I'll tone down my chat."

"I'll just send my colleagues a message let them know where I will be." Skipper thumb typed a rapid-fire message to the team. "All done, time for tea and cakes."

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:16 pm
by Philulhu

Des glanced at her phone when Skipper’s message arrived. ”’e won’ be joinin’ us. ‘e’s pulled…” she smirked.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:20 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Eli followed Des and Jordans prompt at the mural, muttering under his breath at how he could've possibly missed it. "Looks like the children may know about some of the murkier aspects of the towns history. "

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan raises an eyebrow when he sees Skipper's text. He's pretty sure that Izzy and Leo have Level 2 spells by now, and maybe Level 3. Isn't Fireball Level 3? It should be effective against the undead.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:51 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 438 times

"DC Leo Dansby," Leo added, proffering his warrant card. "As my colleague said, no one is in any trouble. We were hoping she could help us with one of our enquiries."

Observation (60/30): 1d100

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:49 pm
by jp1885
Inside the school

"I'm glad no-one's in trouble at the school," admits Miss Driffield: her expression a mix of puzzlement and relief. "Yes some of the pupils can be a bit high-spirited at times, but we're lucky that they're normally very well-behaved. Quite unlike Councillor Short I hear - is it true he's run off to Spain or somewhere?"

Noticing your interest in the rubbed-out section of the mural, she gives an embarrassed laugh.

“Our mural was drawn by the children two years ago. The tribesmen are supposed to be Celtic warriors, and the man with the bible a Methodist preacher from the nineteen-hundreds - caused quite a scene right here in the old chapel apparently. Some of our more imaginative pupils got carried away I'm afraid. Sometimes Mrs. Evan likes to tell them tall tales.”

"She’s a lovely person and dedicated to her job, standing at the crossing in all weathers. She’s manned the crossing since before I started at the school five years ago. She's always welcome to pop into the staff room for a cup of tea and a biscuit."

Please make a Read Person roll.  
Driffield's eyes seems to glaze over, unfocussed for a second, before reverting to normal.

----------------

Skipper - In the cafe

The cafe, or more precisely, the Cwmllyn Tea-Rooms, is a modest affair, but nonetheless bustling with lunchtime customers.

Some pop in from work to grab a generously-filled sandwich or baguette, while others are meeting up to gossip over a pot of tea and a slice of cake.

The three old dears settle at what is obviously their favourite table, affording them a good view of the street, Without conferring with you, they order a pot of tea and a few slices of bara brith ("with some for our bnew friend"), each slathered with butter.

"So what brings you to Cwmllyn?" they ask, in between mouthfuls. "Does your vicar friend live nearby?"

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:57 pm
by Trivun
  Read Person: 60%  
1d100

Izzy definitely catches the glazed over look as the deputy headmistress speaks. She thinks back to magical effects that could cause such a thing, in particular, use of the glamour... But who could have done that to her? Short himself... or whoever spirited him away at the crossing?

"Not Spain, as far as we're aware... that's what we're trying to find out, actually. Who saw him last, and where he might have gone."

It's true, to an extent... except the evidence points increasingly to him being sent away via dodgy black hole to the Underworld for his property-related crimes.

"Oh? What kind of tall tales? I used to love those kinds of stories when I was a kid, couldn't keep me away from the London Dungeon and the Clink when we went into town. The more macabre the history, the more interesting..."

Again, not exactly untrue. After all, Izzy had always been described as 'nice, but a bit weird' by her friends at school...

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:09 pm
by Philulhu

Read Person (60) 1d100

Des frowned at the headteacher’s reaction. Like something that Izzy had said had caused some sort of reaction. She’d seen a hypnotist on YouTube and he’d hypnotised someone so they started dancing every time they heard the word, ‘Hello’. It was like that, except more weird… …

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:12 pm
by BoyBlunder78

As the head teacher spoke Eli caught the odd look in her eyes, it reminded him of some of his students when they were reciting passages from books verbatim, word for word.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:03 am
by Philulhu

Studying Mrs Driffield carefully Des said, ”U’ve got ur lollipop lady tellin’ ur kids stories? Don’ u fink dat’s a bit odd?”

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"We're not entirely sure where he's gone," says Jordan. "We're trying to find out."

Read Person (60% skill) about Miss Driffield:
d%

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:57 am
by Snapper

Skipper munched on bara brith tea cake happily. "Well that is lovely. I remember I've had it before. When I was in the Navy, Welsh crew mates made it for us sometimes."

"To answer your question, right this minute I'm looking to take some proper good photos of your lovely village." He held his modern digital SLR camera up for the ladies as professional proof. "If you'll allow me, I'll be happy to take a few photos of the three of you together. I can email them to you or have them printed out."

He settled back to drink his tea for a moment. "So, I was not long ago in an English village called Nennington. Not as pretty as here but some locations worth photographing. One was the church. Turns out, the local vicar is this well fit lady, the Reverend Maureen Shipley, happy for me to take photos of her church. Definitely more fit than the Vicar of Dibley, much as I love the show."

"The Rev is a bit of a fan of a long black trench coat rather than your usual vicar threads. I reckon it makes her look a little bit goth. In fact, she's quite happy to wear it and no..." He stopped himself, turning a bit red. "Ah, I may have got carried away there. What's in this bara brith?" He looked at a cake slice suspiciously.

"In any event, the Rev is not opposed to my taking photos of her..." Skipper looked guilty again and stopped talking, but grinned at the ladies and really hoped they weren't easily offended.

I had to Google bara brith.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:33 pm
by jp1885
Inside the School

Driffield considers your questions for a second.

"Mrs. Evans does like a good natter and knows a lot about the town's history. It's not surprising she tells the odd tale while she sees the children across the road. I guess the ones about the rioting and such excite more imagination - it's a sad fact of life that society's drawn to the violent movies rather than the nice ones I suppose. The more macabre, as you say."

"So what exactly can I do for you? The police have already interviewed everyone about Councillor Short - no-one saw anything. If you wait for the home-time bell in about three hours, you'll find Mrs. Evans at the crossing, so you can ask her these questions yourself."

-------------

In the Cafe

If the ladies are scandalised by the talk of your vicar friend, they do a good job of not showing it.

"Ah, it's all lady vicars and gay priests these days isn't it? Modern life and such. That's just how it is isn't it?"

"Aye, that it is. No point getting upset about it."

"So your just here to take photos of the town are you? Some kind of art project is it?"

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"We were hoping to find her when she wasn't so busy," says Jordan. "Do you know where she is now? I'd also be interested in learning more about the town's history."

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:54 am
by Snapper

Skipper shrugged affably. "All I can say is I'm very happy one particular lady vicar exists. And, of course as I said, the Vicar of Dibley was always good value. Bless Dawny French."

"To answer your question though, the hopefully half decent artistic photography is a hobby. Just something I do in my free time. I'm actually in town as a specialist support photographer and analyst for the Met coppers - the Old Bill - what got sent here to find this missing councillor. Whatsisname? Short?" He shows the ladies his Folly card. "I was a bit of a fan of 'The Bill' too, the earlier ones mind, before it went all soapy."

"I'd be grateful if you could keep that to yourselves, of course - my job not the telli show. Don't want everyone in the village charging me three times price for everything just cause I'm a civil servant." Skipper grinned at the ladies.

"Did you know of this Short, ladies? Not many seemed to like him. Or miss him much."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:29 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Leo listens intently, nodding. He also vicariously enjoys seeing space bullies and evil emperors get their comeuppance from the safety of a theatre seat or sofa. He blames his father.

"Yes, do you know her home address?" Leo chimed in. "I wouldn't want to interrupt her while she was trying to keep the little ones safe. That would really help us."

Read Person (60/30): 1d100

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:28 pm
by jp1885
Inside the School

Ms. Driffield frowns.

"Mrs. Evans' address? I don't think I know... it must be on the system though - the staff employee records."

There follows a brief discussion with the receptionist, and some puzzled shaking of heads on her computer.

"That's funny... She isn't listed... Hmm, well she's been been here ages, probably before we got computerised. Lovely lady isn’t she? Whenever we have a cake sale we always keep one for her.”

-----------------------------

In the Cafe

The trio of old ladies tut in unison at the mention of Councillor Short.

“I hope they put him away for good; always on the take that one. Still, they all are, aren’t they?”

“Him as much as anyone! With a wife as expensive as his, I’d do a runner too!”

“Well I’m glad he’s gone. You try getting planning permission around here without his say-so! Our Susan got her extension turned down five times!”

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:08 am
by Philulhu

”If she ain’t on de system, ‘ow’s she gettin’ paid?” said Des. ”I mean, youse are payin’ ‘er, ain’t ya? Nobody’s gonna work for free…”

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:19 am
by Snapper

Replete with Welsh tea cake, Skipper drank hot beverage happily. "Does he have a Missus then, this Short? She here in the village somewhere still?"

"The Met coppers probably already know all that of course, I can never be bothered reading the files." Skipper shrugged and looked unguilty.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Some people do volunteer," says Jordan, "and she seems like a very giving person. I look forward to meeting her."

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:41 am
by Philulhu

Des rolled her eyes. ”Two words,” she said. ”DBS checks!”

DBS = Disclosure & Barring Service - runs checks on people who work with children, vulnerable adults, etc, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosur ... ng_Service

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:48 am
by BoyBlunder78
Still looking at the mural, Eli asks,"How long has Mrs Evans worked here? Sorry but i didnt catch her first name."

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 am
by Trivun

Izzy is actually quite pleased at Des for recalling something like a DBS check, and gives her a quick smile of appreciation. It's a great shout and a good area to focus on - if the school doesn't have records on Mrs Evans in the form of those safeguarding checks, if not employee information, then they could be in a lot of trouble if an incident occurs. Like a kid vanishing from a school crossing in broad daylight. And the police are good at getting people to cooperate under threat of being found in trouble themselves...

"My colleague here is absolutely spot on. You do realise you should have valid DBS checks for all employees and volunteers, before they're allowed to work with the school in any capacity? If you don't have them in place and something happens to a student, then you could be found legally liable..."

Izzy smiles sweetly at the deputy head as she continues.

"Ideally you need to be updating these every three years, but at the minimum you should have one from when she was first employed. Or when they were first introduced, back in, oh... 2012?"

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Yes, that's a great idea!" says Jordan. "She's been working here for decades, so certainly before they started, but there should be a record. When exactly did she start here?"

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:11 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Leo looks over at Des and nods. "That's a great question. How is she getting paid?" Then after Jordan mentioned working for free, he started shaking his head. Something wasn't passing the sniff test here. "I know those positions are paid in the London area, and I have to believe even in a smaller town like this, there would be some level of remuneration."

Without saying anything out loud yet, he wonders if the lollipop lady might be spectral. A friendly ghost, like Casper. Stranger things have happened in the Folly records. Now he is very curious whether she can produce a DBS.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:55 pm
by jp1885
Inside the school

""DBS check...? Pay...?

Even if you missed it earlier, it's plain to see Miss Driffield's eyes glazing over this time. It's as if your clever lines of questioning just wash over her.

“She's a lovely person... Very dedicated..."

Please make a POW roll.  
The glamour here - present since you entered the town you realise - is so very strong all of a sudden. It's as if a radio, playing music in the background, has suddenly been turned up to full volume.

Lovely Mrs. Evans - it's really not worth bothering with these silly questions. You decide it's best just to leave her be - maybe buy her a nice cake for when you meet her.

----------------

Skipper - In the cafe

The old ladies shrug, more or less in unison.

"He was married to a local girl for years, but couldn't keep it in his trousers, so they reckon."

"That's right - Mary Morgan. She divorced him and went to live in Florida with the kids - so I heard anyway."

"Then he married that foreign girl - Russian or Romanian or summat, Very expensive tastes by the amount of jewellery she used to rattle around town in. She flounced off to Cardiff as soon as all this trouble started."

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:05 pm
by Philulhu

POW (70) 1d100

Des looked around quickly. Was she here?

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:26 am
by Snapper

Skipper grunted with amusement / sympathy between glugs of tea. "In the grand tradition of bastards - pardon my French - who make some cash then dump the poor wife for the newer, younger Russian upgrade. I hope the first wife has found some much nicer new bloke in the US. Does sound like she's better off without Short."

"Ummm, when you say the upgrade wife took off for Cardiff when the trouble started, which trouble would that be, sorry? Was it when Short went missing?"

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Is there a cake sale going on now?" asks Jordan. "I'd like to buy one for her."

POW roll (30% stat) in the office:
d%

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:35 am
by BoyBlunder78

Eli looks at his colleagues, brow furrowed. He sees Jordan with the same glazed look in his eyes as the staff and Des seemingly shaking herself as if trying to shake a feeling, a feeling he himself was feeling, like a noise or thrum in the background, trying to drown out his senses.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:12 am
by Trivun

POW: 60%  
1d100
  Hard success!  
Even as Izzy speaks she can tell her words are falling on deaf ears. By all accounts it's likely the deputy head is a fully competent and professional woman with all the authority that befits her position, but even if she has the records in place for every other member of staff, there likely are none for Mrs. Evans, because as far as the staff are concerned, Mrs. Evans is simply a 'nice, friendly old dear' who's been around since forever. The glamour is strong, but Izzy is a trained practitioner, and she's met river goddesses and talking foxes and half-goblins and all sorts. She's used to it by now.

"Team, we're not getting anywhere with this one. We'd be quicker knocking on every door in the town and trying to find her house that way. Or waiting until the kids finish and catching her when she's working."

As much as Izzy doesn't want to go near that crossing point again...

"Plus we need to update DS Singh. She was expecting us to check in and let her know of any developments. I don't think we need to interview everyone who was on the street now, they'll all no doubt be as blank as this one here when we mention the crossing or the lollipop lady."

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:56 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 260 times

Leo's eyes narrow. This is getting incredibly suspicious. His mind races as he struggles to imagine just what's going on here. He steps up between his colleagues and nods. "Yes, knocking on doors might be more helpful at this point."

Then, while he's still in the school, he does a vestigia check, dreading what he might feel.

POW (80/40) : 1d100

Sense Vestigia (60/30): 1d100

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:55 pm
by Philulhu

”Dere ain’t nuthin’ happenin’ ’ere,” said Des dismissively. ”Mention ‘er name an’ dey all shut down.”

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"All right, let's check in with DS Singh," says Jordan.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:23 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Yeah your probsly right, its like everyone has pre-programmed responses to any questions about her. Woukd be interesting to see if it has the same effect on everyone else in the town." Eli responds.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:49 pm
by Trivun

Izzy speaks in a lower voice, enough for her colleagues to hear without the school staff doing the same.

"The glamour's been there since we got into town, we just never noticed it until now. I think we should watch the DS very closely when we mention Mrs. Evans. See if she reacts the same way. I reckon it's affecting everyone here, and if so then finding her is going to be harder. I wasn't joking when I said going door to door, it's not exactly a big area to search after all."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:09 pm
by Philulhu

”Let’s ‘ope it don’ come to dat,” grumbled Des.

An idea occurred and she pulled out her phone and looked for the local Facebook page. Finding ‘Spotted in Cwmllyn‘ she searched for “Mrs Evans”…

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:25 pm
by jp1885
Inside the school

Please make a Research roll Des.  
Why is everyone so intent on bothering Mrs. Evans? She's a lovely person -they should leave her alone.

You don't detect anything unusual - just background vestigia (The faint ringing of a school bell and the squeak of chalk on a blackboard.

Miss Driffield, looks at you expectantly, if somewhat dreamily. Is there anything else you want to do here?

----------------

Skipper - In the cafe

"Oh, she scarpered as everyone found out about how corrupt he was," one of the old dears replies. "You know small towns: gossip spreads like wildfire and it was pretty obvious he was on the take when you think back. She saw the writing on the wall - Mr. Williams told me he saw her packing her bags in the taxi with a face like a sour lemon. The whole business has caused a big scandal - this used to be a nice, quiet town."

“Well, there was that weirdo that used to hang around the school before the new one was built. When was that, the seventies? Someone told me he got hit crossing the road.”

“And I remember our Edith telling me about that GI who got that girl pregnant during the war and then did her in. I suppose they whisked him away before anyone could get hold of him.”

"Oh yeah, and there was that woman, wasn’t there? Used to beat her kiddies? Went out to pick them up from school but vanished. Best thing for the poor mites I reckon.”

They finish up their bara brith, dabbing their mouths daintily with napkins, before draining the cups.

"Anyway, nice speaking to you. we must get on - Countdown starts in a minute."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:49 pm
by Philulhu

Research (30) 1d100

Des rolled her eyes. It turned out that trying to search Facebook in a make believe game was just as useless as trying to search Facebook in real life… …

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Mrs. Evans seems so nice," says Jordan. "We really shouldn't bother her at home. We know where she's going to be in a few hours anyway."

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:02 am
by Snapper

Skipper rose to his feet as the ladies left. "Lovely meeting you, ladies. Thanks for showing me this cafe and the bara, very nice."

Once they'd gone, he swiftly sent a message to the team chat, paid for everyone's tea and cake as promised, then headed out and back towards the school in search of the rest of the team.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan texts back that they're at the school, but they're planning to check in with DS Singh.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
After reading Snappers message, keeping his voice low je turns to Izzy "What we found out at the museum and with Snappers more recent finds, it does seem like we are dealing with some kind of judgement deity. Whichever spirits the town were 'worshiping back in the day seems to be thriving in the modern day."

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:27 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Leo smiles softly. Since white boards were at his schools, and Smart Boards at Abigail's school more recently, that vestigia must be old indeed. He idly wonders how long there's been a school on this site, but knows that isn't pertinent to today's investigation. Maybe he could poke around later and find out.

"I'm really looking forward to meeting her."

Once he's sure only the others can hear, "It seems patently unfair to the heathens among us to have to suffer from some random god's whims. I spent all my life not believing in capital G god, only to have my trip to Covent Garden ruined by ghost causing a riot and a river goddess flooding it and now some judgement deity is trying to slap me and my friends around."

Observation (60/30): 1d100

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Justice needs to be tempered with mercy," says Jordan. "I guess that's where the big G God comes in. We've all got things about which to feel guilty. If there's only pure, unadulterated justice, we'd all be condemned. What happens if one of these children does something mean, as children sometimes do, and then disappears crossing the street?"

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:42 am
by Philulhu

”If kids wos goin’ missin’, it’d be all over de news,” said Des. ”If she couldn’t cover up dat Councillor goin’ missin’, der ain’t no way we wouldn’t have heard of dat.”

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 am
by BoyBlunder78
This is true, there .ust be another part of this ritual/ judgement. Maybe a specific person must be offered up? Or as Jordan says there would be alot more missing persons." Eli sa6s thoughtfully.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:17 am
by Trivun

"Just because she, or they, or whoever, sits in judgement, doesn't make them a deity. I know gods and goddesses, Alice and I went for dinner at one's house the other week. By the way, if Peter and Bev invite you round at any point, be warned. Spicy doesn't even cover their cooking, you'll be breathing fire afterwards."

Izzy frowns at the implications. The worry about the kids is right - although in a place like Cwmllyn the kids are probably mostly sweet and well behaved, Izzy knows from her time as a policewoman that sometimes kids can be incredibly cruel. And it only takes one to have been raised the wrong way to do something they can't take back...

"Presumably this woman, or whoever's controlling it... if anyone... can pick and choose who gets targeted. Whatever it was, it... it spat us back out like it didn't want us. Leo and I. Even knowing what I... well, anyway. Maybe she chooses who gets taken. Or maybe it's a remorse thing. If you really feel guilty, or don't show remorse at all, that determines it."

She's conflicted. On the one hand, she's all for justice being dispensed against the truly deserving. The ones who've committed proper crimes, really hurt people... but on the other hand, she's police, and she knows that nobody should have the power to be both judge and executioner. Assuming that's what's happening here.

"Besides... doesn't matter who's controlling it. If they're sentient, and they're acting in this country, they're subject to UK law. Don't need to be human for that to apply. Gods and goddesses, fae, goblins, spirits, whatever, they follow the rules. This Mrs. Evans is no exception."

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:28 pm
by Snapper

Skipper wandered up the road toward the entrance to the school, carefully avoiding the zebra crossing.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"My concern is that this phenomenon is quickly getting more powerful," says Jordan. "It's much stronger than it was this morning. Who knows how much moreso it will get? People who could cross the street without incident today may get scooped up tomorrow."

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
" I woder if its growing stronger because its being called upon more? Feeding on renewed faith, offerings?" Eli replied.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:45 am
by jp1885
Leo - while the main school building looks relatively modern (1970s - 1980s at a guess), the presence of a Victorian-looking chapel indicates a 19th century vintage at least.

So what would you like to do next, brave investigators?  

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:21 pm
by Snapper
  Is the Skipper reunited with the rest of Team Folly?  

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:14 pm
by jp1885
  Yes, unless you want to do anything else. Assume he meets everyone at the school.  

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:56 pm
by Snapper

Skipper wandered up, looking relaxed, refueled with tea and Welsh tea cake. "No luck finding lollipop lady's gaff from the school staff, I take it?"

"So, add these to the tally of the missing. We got a GI in World War Two who gets a local girl in the usual trouble then kills her. We got a suspected paedo a few decades later. And we for a mum what was beating her kids. First female to go missing I think."

"Anyone else got a moral compass what's spinning at the moment? I mean, do we want to stop lollipop?"

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Nobody seems to know where she lives," says Jordan, "but we can just talk to her when school lets out. In the meantime we can check in with DS Singh. We don't know that Mrs. Evans is responsible for this. She seems so nice. We do need to stop what's happening, though."

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
"We could ask DS Singh about our elusive lollipop lady. There must be a record of her DBS check,like Des said." suggested Eli

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:12 am
by Philulhu

”We can split up an’ look for ‘er,” suggested Des. ”But I don’ tink we’ll find her ‘til school’s out.”

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:01 pm
by Snapper

"DBS check??" Skipper looked from Eli to Des then back to the rest of the team. "I don't think they issue DBS checks in Transylvania. Or even Wales 120 years ago. I think you'll also find she doesn't have an email address, a tax file number, an NHS file, or a Netflix subscription."

"But, if we're killing time till school's out, by all means let's go see DS Fun Sheriff. And if she wants pointless interviews done in the meantime, that's a job for you plods."

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:31 pm
by Philulhu

Des scowled. ”It’s a process of elimination, innit?” she snarled. ”Jus’ like if we wos to ask u questions to eliminate any possibility of intelligence.”

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:09 pm
by Trivun

It had been a good idea by Des. But yes, it definitely seems like Lollipop Lady Anubis would be incredibly unlikely to have any kind of background check.

"Even if they're glamoured to hell and back, any witnesses might still remember something, if we can get through the mesmerisation. Still worth questioning anyone we can, and then we come back here to grab Mrs. Evans when she's working. For a quick chat, I mean, not to grab her into the back of a squad car. But yeah, reporting in would be the best approach for now."

Izzy is well used to the sniping between Des and Skipper by now...

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:53 am
by Snapper

Skipper rolled his eyes but otherwise ignored Des. "What I meant was, if you're talking formal interviews, like taking a statement for a criminal prosecution, I believe that needs to be done by a sworn plod. Of which we have precisely two. Otherwise, it's going to raise some questions in court or at the coronial, innit?"

"If you're talking informal intel gathering interviews, well Eli's done one terrifying librarian - which should count as about five normal interviews - and I've done one council admin minion and three old dears."

"But can i get back to the basic question? Do we need to stop her? Should we? No one has gone missing who didn't basically have it coming."

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:06 am
by Trivun

"Morally? No, there's definitely a case to be made for leaving her be. But legally? Yes, we need to stop her. It's basically vigilantism, with extra flair. Where do you draw the line? Otherwise you may as well just let every shopkeeper carry a shotgun and do whatever they want to people who try robbing them, or ask people to dole out justice on criminals themselves. No need for the police at all. And then everything just becomes chaos."

Though, privately, Izzy is more than happy to leave Mrs. Evans to deal out proper justice to the worst offenders, like the ones who try messing with kids and that sort of thing...

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"We also have to consider that, the way things work here currently, there's no closure," says Jordan. "Everyone thinks the people who disappear have escaped and gotten away with it, and countless police resources are spent looking for fugitives they're never going to find."

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:42 am
by Snapper

Skipper shrugged. "Folly's paying the bills. If that's what the decision is, that's what we do."

"Assuming we can stop Lollipop Lestat, drive a stake through her heart or whatever, what did we think the current chances are of locating and returning Short?"

"Anyway, let's go see your sergeant..."

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 pm
by jp1885
It's a short walk along Grove Street to the police station, which is on the same side of the school (meaning there's no need to cross the road thankfully).

As you stroll into the car park, a number of police cars screech out onto the thoroughfare, blues and twos blazing. Stepping inside, you find a scene of organised chaos, with uniformed coppers rushing hither and thither.

In the midst of this bustle stands DS Singh, huffing with annoyance. Upon seeing your arrival, she marches towards you, focussing her attention on Izzy and Leo.

"There's been a bad accident on the new dual carriageway," one of them explains. "I know it's not your usual job - nor is it mine - but it's all hands to the pumps. The boss wants to know if you can you stay here and keep the peace. Keeping an eye on the town for us will free up some more uniforms apparently."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:39 am
by Philulhu

”An accident, or someone gettin’ de plods outta de way?” said Des quietly.

Raising her voice, she asked, ”Wot cause de accident?”

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:16 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Leo straightens his tie as he crosses they cross the car park. He's glad he doesn't skip leg day in the makeshift gym he and Peter set up in the basement.

He smiled warmly, looking around at his colleagues. "DS Singh, I'd love to help out. I don't want to speak on my colleagues behalf, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"I can help anyone injured, I'm a doctor," says Jordan. "Just point me to it."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking to Des, Eli says, "It does seem like a coincidence, and regarding the disappearances, the crooked councillor aside, no one seems to have been trying too hard to find the others."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:17 am
by Snapper

Skipper looked over at Izzy and Leo with Singh, and raised an eyebrow. "You two broomstick-jockeys aside, we're not even special constables. We have no police powers unless the Folly has organised something and just not told us?"

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:42 pm
by jp1885
"Initial reports suggest a lorry driver on his phone while driving," says DS Singh, with barely disguised rancour.

"Thank-you for the offer Doctor Schneider, but a the paramedics will have reached the scene by now and an air ambulance has been called."

As another officer rushes past, she turns to address the two DCs.

"The desk sergeant will stay at the station and will contact you if he gets any calls. By all means continue your investigation but don't stray far. You 'civvies' can just... I don't know, keep out of the way I guess."

She checks her phone and grimaces.

"I need to brief the guv'nor. Try not to call me unless it's desperate, okay?"

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Yes, ma'am," says Jordan, though he thinks he could still do some good at the scene of the accident.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:26 pm
by jp1885
Kicking your heels in the station at least gives you time to go through the witness statements.

Not that it's worth much - everyone tells the same story: one minute Councillor Short was barging across the road, the next minute he wasn't. Strangely, there's no statement from the lollipop lady.

Speaking of which, you're also able to carry out an exhaustive search of the police records for any mention of Mrs. Evans. While there are many relating to other Mrs. Evans-es (Evans being a very popular surname in Wales), there are none referencing the one you are looking for.

By 2pm, frustration is perhaps getting the better of you. So when the desk sergeant pokes his head into the office you are using, it is something of a relief.

"Um, I guess this should go to you, what with everyone else at the accident. A neighbour has just reported someone acting suspiciously outside Councillor Short's house. Reckons he's 'casing the joint'."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:46 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Sounds like we should check it out," says Jordan. "It's probably the same neighbour we spoke to earlier."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:00 am
by Philulhu

”’Oo else is gunna be lookin’ around ‘is gaff?” asked Des. ”We got someone else involved in dis?”

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"I don't know," says Jordan, "but we should definitely find out."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:17 am
by Snapper

"Why not? It's the only game in the village until school bell anyway."

"If I'm really lucky, it might save me a training session. If we get a decent work out now. I did eat quite a few slices or that bara brith."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:21 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 619 times

Leo thanks DS Singh and nods. As he looks at the police station, he remembers the skittles hall in flames and shudders as he imagines the station suffering the same fate. The guilt threatens to overwhelm him, but he manages to tamp it down. He has a job to do. "We'll try not to call at all."

Leo pores over the records with a cuppa and is visibly relieved when the desk sergeant finally breaks the monotony. "Howdy DOODly do..." he chirped happily. "How's it going? Am I glad to see you..." Then he nodded. "Yes, we should check it out. I'm extremely curious about who it is." As he grabbed his suit jacket and slipped it on, he grinned and said, "I bet it's our long lost lollipop lady."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:32 am
by BoyBlunder78
As much as Eli enjoys going through all this paperwork even he was starting to find it monotonous, each report sounding more and more like a 7yr old ' What I did in the holidays' essay. Agreeing with Snapper, " I think nows a perfect time to go and spread our legs." He says with a smile.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:16 am
by Trivun

Izzy realises she's been fairly quiet since leaving the school, and wonders to herself if it's mainly been delayed reaction to what she saw at the crossing. But she doesn't want to put that on the others. Instead, she nods along and gives her assent as DS Singh issues instructions and shoots off the the scene of the incident. She's similarly muted throughout checking the statements and the growing annoyance at the lack of info about their prime, and only, suspect.

The desk sergeant is a welcome respite from the monotony.

"'Casing the joint'? Seriously? What, is the neighbour really that bored of watching 'Find It, Fix It, Flog It' or something, needs to see what's happening in the street outside?"

Still, it's the only lead they've had for a bit, and so Izzy is more than ready to investigate the strange person outside the councillor's house if it means stretching her legs a bit.

"Doubt it's the lollipop lady, the desk sergeant said the neighbour thought 'he' was casing the joint. Which implies someone new, and male. Worth checking out either way..."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 am
by Snapper

Skipper looked at Leo and Izzy narrowly, and gave a very unsmiling grunt. "The broomstick-bandits have now found voice. Which is ironic as I don't believe I heard a lot of defence of the civvie members of our little Folly crew when DS Sunshine was talking before."

"What were her words? You can just keep out of the way, as I recall."

"I will sleep sounder from this day though, knowing how willing you both are to defend my good name and honour."

"Come on, let's jump in the motor and head to old son's gaff before the villain wanders away."

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 am
by Philulhu

Des fell in step with Eli as they headed to the car. ”De expression u want is ‘stretch yor legs’,” she said. ”Spreadin’ yor legs has a whole diff’rent meanin’!”

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
Eli blushes slightly, "Yes...er...quite...lets go and 'stretch our legs' and find this new possible lead."

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Leo nodded at Skipper. "You're right. We owed you more than that. You guys have done so much for this team."

"Sorry, mates. It won't happen again."

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:49 pm
by jp1885
There's no need to take the car - it's a quick walk back to Short's house, even if you make a slight detour to avoid the school crossing.

If you wish to use the school crossing, and haven't already passed a Sense Vestigia test there, please make one now.  
Despite all your distractions and, dare I say, lack of concentration, you nonetheless feel that something is different about the road crossing: a build-up of some kind of power. It is difficult to identify, but you'd put money on something Falcon related. This failure to pick anything up leaves you with a vague sense of unease and guilt.

Concentrating, you immediately pick up the sense of happy children and busy parents, chatter, shouting, and the occasional beep of a horn. Cutting through all this a feeling of calm and steadying presence; guiding, reassuring yet also judging.

Then it hits you.

Memories of all the bad things you have done rise unbidden in your mind.

What do you most feel guilty about? Describe it.

As the knowledge wracks you with remorse and shame, you find yourself being dragged towards a yawning black portal to face the judgement you so rightly deserve.

Shame.

Wickedness.

Guilt.

Then suddenly, as if the portal doors are slammed shut in your face, you find yourself back on the school crossing - bleak rainy wind tousling your hair.

However you get there, you enter Short's cul-de-sac to find his neighbour, Mr. Williams, hopping from foot to foot in a state of agitation.

"He's still in there!" he hisses, trying to keep his voice down.

"He pulled up in that van a few minutes ago and started poking around! Scruffy looking bloke: young, white male."

He points to a battered white transit van parked on the pavement nearby.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 pm
by Philulhu

Des looked at the coppers. ”U gunna run de reg?” she asked.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:27 pm
by Trivun

Skipper's words sting, but Izzy battles through it. Hardly her own fault that she had been distracted, and if he'd been through that crossing and seen what she did, he'd understand, surely? But she doesn't press the point, simply nodding, and giving an apologetic look as they continue on.

At the house, she glances at Des, before taking a quick picture on her phone of the vehicle and registration. She sends it on to her London contacts, requesting an action for a number plate check with the DVLA, and for them to make it quick. Then she turns her phone off, ready in case of magic use, with the intention to turn it back on and check the response afterwards.

"Not a bad idea. In the meantime, we should probably head in, check the place over. Get him red handed. We'll need to cover the back door as well as the front..."

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:35 pm
by Philulhu

Des frowned as Izzy switched off her phone. ”U not waitin’ to see who it is?” she asked.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan takes a longer walk to avoid the crossing. Even though he's blind to vestigia, he'd rather not take the chance.

"We can't take a chance that he escapes if he's still inside," he says, following Izzy's example and popping the battery out of his phone. "I'm good at blocking doors so that nobody gets through them. Do you want me at the front or the back?"

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:11 am
by Snapper

Skipper, apparently still in rather dark humour, grunted impatiently and started moving. "You do this door, Jordan, I'll go round the back. Plod can do the talking." This last was followed by a further, ironic grunt.

With that, Skipper stalked off to find the easiest way into the back garden, hopefully via a gate or opening, possibly over a fence or hedge as a last resort.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:32 am
by Philulhu

”Apparently we ain’t waitin’” said Des, rolling her eyes as she slipped the battery from her own phone.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:48 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Curiosity got the better of Eli and used the crossing......and although he could sense there was something...off...with the crossing he could sense nothing but a slight frustration at his lack of ability to sense anything tangible.
Catching up to the others he saw Skipper sneaking around the back and decided to follow him, thinking it prudent that no-one should be alone.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan stands ready to bring up the rear when they go to the front door, so that he can block it after the others enter.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:31 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 417 times

DC Dansby gets his warrant card out. He knows he has already introduced himself, but it's more out of habit than anything else at this point. He removes his battery from his phone as he thinks for a moment.

Leo looked at Skipper and said,"I'll join you in the back."

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:27 pm
by jp1885
At the rear of the house, things are pretty much the same as before.

However, those of you at the front notice that the front door is slightly open...

If you're at the front door, an Observation roll please.  
It looks like the door has been jemmied open.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:47 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 388 times

He opens the side gate as quietly as possible and holds it for Skipper as they step into the back garden. Then he jams some paper from his PNB into the latch to keep it from closing noisily.

Leo mentally steels himself as they reach the back. He takes a deep breath, releases it, and clears his mind. No guilt. No burning buildings. He steps up to the bi-fold door, checking though the window for any occupants.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:36 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Watching Skipper and DC Dansby enter the side gate, Eli follows slowly after, removing his phone battery before slowly opening the gate replacing the piece of paper and looking up at the back of the house.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
From his position in the back, Jordan can't really see anything through the door.

Observation roll (70% skill) at the front door:
d%

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:11 pm
by Philulhu

Des stood off to one side, slightly behind Jordan, waiting for one of the plods to take the lead…

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:28 pm
by Trivun

Ready at the front, Izzy peers forward to see what she can tell from the front door and the entry to the house. Mind focused in case she needs to think or act quickly...

Observation: 60%  
1d100
It's not too difficult to tell to the trained policewoman, what's happened here.

"Someone's jimmied the lock... no key, clearly a forced entry. Means they'll likely be coming this way to get out, can't guarantee a fast escape from the back..." she whispers to Jordan and Des, before edging forward and slowly opening the front properly to see into the hallway.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:00 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Eli looks up at the back of the house.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan nods, standing ready to fill the doorway.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:49 pm
by jp1885
At the back...

No discernible vestigia can be detected, however a peek through the bifold doors shows that the kitchen-diner area is in disarray. Utensils and crockery lie scattered across the floor and chairs are tipped over.

At the front...

The hallway is empty, but messy - considerably so since your last visit. The photographs that adorned the passage have been knocked off the shelves, lying among the books (admittedly few) and knick-knacks that have similarly been rifled among.

And... what was that? A thud? Coming from the lounge?

No...

Yes!

There it is again - the sound of movement. Someone else is here.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan prepares to stand in the entrance once Izzy and Des have gone inside.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:56 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Leo groans when he sees the crockery everywhere. "We have ourselves a very messy burglar here, mates. That usually means they're looking for something."

"I wonder..." he murmurs as he tugs on the bifold doors to see if they give.

If the door is not unlocked, I'll give a quick look for a key in the usual places.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:17 am
by Snapper

"Debt collectors, maybe? Dinner guests?"

After confirming his phone was safe from magical destruction, Skipper pitched in searching for keys or unlocked windows.

1d%60%

Fail.  

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
Hearing the noises within Eli "whoever it is doesnt seem too bothered abut being noticed." He says as he joins in the key search.
OOC:   oof. Fail  

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:38 am
by jp1885
  Please can those at the rear make a group Luck roll.  

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:47 am
by Trivun

Izzy slowly moves forward and enters the house, moving the front door as little as possible to try and avoid alerting the intruder within to her presence. In her mind, she prepares to cast Candano, though only if the person tries to flee, and with three of them blocking the only feasible exit, she doubts they'll get very far even without the spell.

Hearing the noises, she makes her way towards the lounge...

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:16 am
by Philulhu

Des quickly realised that Jordan wasn’t moving up to support Izzy. She glared at him as she slipped past. ”Yor so fuqn brave!” she said snidely, as she stepped over the threshold, he eyes searching for anything she could use as a weapon should it be required!

Observation (60) 1d100

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"I have to block the door in case they get past her," whispers Jordan. He recalls that Des had hidden behind him on the last case, when he had faced the Nazis by himself.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:29 am
by BoyBlunder78
i take it group luck rollsate still woth the lowest?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:55 am
by Philulhu

Des didn’t bother replying to the “tall, strong, and tough” ex-rugby player…

;)

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:37 am
by Snapper

Skipper sighed and looked at Leo. "Awright Harry, might be time to wave the wand and do the door unlocking spell a la Hermione Granger. Before the Ginge has all the fun."

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:22 pm
by jp1885
At the rear...

You recall that, after your first visit to Short's house, Izzy had the key to the property.

To gain entry, you'll either have to break in or join the others around the front.

At the front...

Izzy - walking into the lounge, which is as ransacked as the hallway.

Standing in the middle of the room, carrying Councillor Short's large plasma screen TV in his arms, is an IC1 male. He is tall, thin, muscular and has cropped blonde hair.

His mouth is agape with surprise.

Lewis.jpg

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:37 pm
by Trivun

Izzy smiles at the man, and immediately pulls out her warrant card, holding it with one hand while her other hand points slightly in the guy's direction ready to fire off Candano if, and only if, he tries to run.

"You won't get very far carrying that, mate, just as a heads up. Got enough to get you for breaking and entering at a minimum but red handed in burglary? Six months, right there. At least. So, before I pull out the cuffs, mind telling me who you are and what you're doing?"

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 pm
by jp1885
  Please make a Read Person roll Izzy.  

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:53 pm
by Trivun
  Read Person: 60%  
1d100
  Success!  

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:39 am
by jp1885
Reading the man’s body language - the way his muscles are tensing - it’s clear he’s about to do something rash. You have seconds before he acts!

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:37 am
by Trivun

Candano... such a useful spell. Also called the 'Tanglefoot', and perfect for stopping someone dead in their tracks, without needing to use any sort of force, like throwing a set of bolas around someone's ankles. As Izzy sees the figure tense up, she silently flings the spell right at him, caring less about potential damage to the TV in his arms, and more about stopping him from getting away. It's unlikely he'd get past Jordan at the door, but hey, she's seen enough episodes of Gladiators to know how easy most contenders find the 'Gauntlet'...

Magic 60%  
1d100
  Damn, that was so close! Just about a Success!  

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:23 am
by jp1885
[83] = 83
STR 70 1d100: [ 83 ] = 83

Izzy, you cast the spell just in time!

The man leaps towards you, obviously intending to use the TV as a makeshift battering ram.

However, your magic tangles around his feet before he is able to act. The look on his face is, honestly, comical as he topples forward, instinctively clutching the TV and thus unable to put his arms out to arrest his descent.

As he faceplants the floor there is an audible ‘crack’! You’re not sure if it’s his nose or the TV underneath it.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:58 pm
by Philulhu

”Oh, did dat ‘urt?” said Des mockingly, standing ready to step on the guy’s fingers if it looks like he might try to get up again.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Need any help in there?" calls Jordan.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:56 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 378 times

"Maybe we should stay back here," Leo said. "Watch the back. Just in case anyone tries to scarper. If we go around to the front and miss the guy, we will never forgive ourselves. Nor will Des..."

"Better safe than sorry..."

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:50 pm
by jp1885
Inside the house...

[22] = 22
INT 40 1d100: [ 22 ] = 22

While the miscreant doesn't seem the bookish type, it appears he has enough brains to know when to stay down.

"W-what?" he groans, wincing as he props himself up on his elbows. "I-I ain't done nothing. Jus- just... I ain't talking 'til I seen a solicitor, alright?"

Outside the house...

While deliberating, you hear a loud crash from within the house, then silence (or as much silence as you can ascertain over the sound of traffic from the main street).

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:59 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 338 times

"Well, I guess I could use Impello to force the door open," he said to Skipper. Then, he hears the crash from within. "That sounds like Team Folly now..."

"Sorry about this, door..."

I am attempting to push the door open.

Magic (70/35): 1d100

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:16 am
by Philulhu

”Nermind dat bollox,” snapped Des. ”’Oo sent you to rob de place?”

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:27 pm
by jp1885
Leo's Impello spell is precise and well-judged, forcing the back door open without causing serious damage.

With the door open, you hear the voices of you fellow investigators, followed by a miserable-sounding response, namely...

"I ain't saying anything until I've got legal representation," the intruder repeats in a sullen Welsh accent. "This is police brutality this is."

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 296 times

As the door parts, Leo grins over his shoulder at Snapper. "As requested, mate. Unfortunately, I don't do bar mitzvahs."

He did his best to pick a path through the crockery that didn't break any more, following the voices, ready for another spell if necessary.

"Mate, the only thing that can save you now is pop music." <looks around expectantly, sighs disappointedly> "Okay, you're frakked. You might as well answer my colleagues question."

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:30 pm
by Trivun

Oh, Izzy definitely needed a distraction from her traumatic thoughts of the crossing, and this is the perfect one... As the others enter, Izzy remains smiling, as innocent as you like, looking down at the would-be burglar on the floor.

"I fail to see how this is police brutality, I didn't touch you at all. In fact, if I remember rightly, you attempted to charge at me whilst holding a television that very clearly does not belong to you... then tripped, and fell flat on your own arse. Some distance away from me, no less. And the respectable civilian witnesses here, including a doctor, by the way, will happily testify to that, I'm sure. As will any bodycam footage that might possibly decide to show up, too."

She sees absolutely no reason to inform the man that she does not, in fact, have a bodycam, but if he thinks she might have a hidden one, well, that's his assumption to make, not hers. It's not as if she would lie to the guy, right?

"As for legal representation, of course you'll have due access to a solicitor at the station, but given you've been caught red handed you'd better make sure they're a damn good one. And on that note..."

Without any further hesitation, Izzy pulls out her handcuffs, and proceeds to cuff the guy as he lies sprawled on the floor. Hands in front, as per standard procedure, though she warns him that if he does try to make a run for it, it will go all the worse for him in court.

"In accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, Section 24, you are under arrest on suspicion of burglary. I believe that it is necessary to arrest you in this instance to prevent you from absconding in the process of committing the arrestable offence. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. You will receive a written notice of your rights upon arrival at the station, and we will require your full name and address."

Izzy keeps a straight face this time as she reads him the standard caution and goes through all the legal motions, but inside, she's just glad to finally have someone she can actually arrest normally again, instead of all the magic stuff meaning people can't be tried openly for fear of breaking open the whole masquerade...

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"I think a search is in order," says Jordan. "He may have weapons, and he may have stolen something small and hidden it on his person."

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:42 am
by Trivun

"In the cuffs he won't be able to get to any weapons anyway, and he'll be searched when we reach the station and he goes through processing."

Besides, searching him here and now would require a warrant, unless they have adequate evidence to suggest that he does indeed have weapons, whereas the arrest doesn't need a warrant provided they have good reason to arrest him. Which, of course, they do...

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:29 am
by Snapper

Skipper nodded approval at Leo's handiwork. "Nice. A proper bit of Hogwarts' finest."

Stalking in, he spied the Person of Interest and sighed. "No free workout for me then. And after I ate all that Welsh tea cake too."

Addressing said POI, he continued, "What you go and trash this place for, you dozy muppet!? Not even a proper tea leaf. Where's your sense of professionalism? Wales' answer to Lupin."

"I suppose it's too much to hope Moriarty here has a burly kickboxer friend hiding in the en-suite?" Skipper pessimistically commenced a quick search of the rest of the premises for hoped-for accomplices, grumbling as he did.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Yes, well done," says Jordan. "We'll want to make sure that when we bring him in, we don't go by way of Grove Street."

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Leo smiled and nodded politely.

As he stood over the others, he said, "Hopefully, some of the others will have returned from the accident by now. If not, the desk sergeant can probably get things started."

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
Cladping his hand on Leo's shoulder and smiling, Eli walks on into the room and towards the POI. Smiling he says to him, "So, what did you brng you here? And do you know where Mrs Evans the lollipop lady lives"

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:55 pm
by jp1885
Handcuffed and hauled to his feet, the miscreant glares daggers at you all, but remains resolutely tight-lipped

I think a hard Social test is required to get him to open up.  
While you gather in Short's hallway, you receive a call from DS Singh.

"Okay, everyone's heading back. The accident wasn't as bad as everyone was led to believe," she announces with some irritation. "I hear you're investigating a break-in at Short's. Have you apprehended a suspect? If so, bring them back to the station but PLEASE don't make a scene - school's out and there are kids and parents everywhere. Oh, and watch out for traffic - it's bedlam at school pick-up."

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"We should definitely detour around the school," says Jordan. If they bring their prisoner through the crossing, he has no doubt that the man will disappear.

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
Eli looks into the POI'S eyes......and gets nothing.
OOC:   I was just gauging his reaction to her name. Is it worth 16 luck?  

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:21 pm
by jp1885
  Hmm… I wouldn’t spend 16 Luck on this ;)  

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm
by Snapper

Skipper was instantaneously back. And grinning. "Showtime!"

"And we can't take the prisoner off your hands, that's a proppa coppa job, and we're civvies. "
He pointed at the Welshman in question. "Needs to be banged up down the nick by at least one proppa coppa."

"On the other hand, what you need is some covert surveillance of your magic vampire lollipop lady. See where her gaff actually is. And covert surveillance happens to be my speciality. For once, I can get the little drone out."

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm
by jp1885
A quick 'shuftie' around the house fails to uncover any compatriots of the scowling thief, who, after a little resistance, allows himself to be led out of the house.

Feeling the neighbours' eyes boring into you from behind twitching curtains, you lead the man out of the cul-de-sac, towards Grove Street.

The main road is considerably busier than before, jammed with cars queueing up on the school run. Meanwhile, the pavements are lined with parents, some pushing prams or pushchairs, on a similar mission to retrieve their offspring.

Getting across the road anywhere other than the school crossing would be a dangerous exercise.

[54] = 54
POW 40 1d100: [ 54 ] = 54

As if realising this, your charge seems to instinctively turn towards the crossing.

The school bell rings and there, standing at the crossing holding 'Stop' sign aloft, is the lollipop lady...

POW rolls everyone please...  

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am
by Snapper

1d%p55%

Hard Success.  

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 am
by Trivun

Of course for Izzy, the aim is to bring the suspect by literally any route other than the crossing, even avoid that street entirely if possible. She doesn't care if he stays silent for now, as long as he speaks when held in detention. Solicitor or not. But, with the layout of the roads, Grove Street can't be avoided fully. Even though, as she tells him specifically, she agrees fully with Skipper's suggested plan.

Alas, they head on out, forced by circumstance to bring the lad cuffed by the most risky route possible - the only route possible. And there, Izzy finally sees the lollipop lady, face to face...

POW roll: 60%  
1d100
  Damn, that's a fail. Assuming I can't given the roll but if it's still possible, can I also attempt to roll Strength to try and grab the guy and pull him back, and stop him from running away towards the crossing?  

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg

Social (30/15): 1d100

OOC:   Fail  

"And I hear it's Judge Meany's week to preside. I hear the last kid who shoplifted he gave public caning. It's a Tyburn necktie for you, mate."

POW (80/40): 1d100

OOC:   Success  

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Don't even think about it," says Jordan, putting a strong hand on the prisoner's shoulder to try to keep him from making a run for it, and especially to keep him from getting any closer to the crossing. "Trust me, you'd regret it forever."

Thanks, I'd forgotten to make the Social roll!

Social roll (70% skill) to get the prisoner to open up to us:
d%
POW roll (30% stat) near the crossing:
d%

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am
by BoyBlunder78
Through the bustling crowd Eli's eyes are drawn towards the stoic lollipop lady......
  Oh....my....giddy.....aunt....🤯  

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:24 am
by Philulhu

POW (70) 1d100

Edit: Hard success!

Des scowled as she eyed up the grandmotherly figure in the fluorescent jacket. ”Dat her, den? Wot u fink she’s gunna do?”

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 pm
by jp1885
For a brief moment, Jordan's bedside mnanner causes the thief to falter.

"M-my name's Steve Lewis. I my boss sent me to the house boss to find some paperwork that'd get him into trouble, but I couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd help myself to a nice telly instead," he intones.

"Not the first time I've been bad. I'm guilty..."

"Guilty - and I must be judged..."

He keeps walking towards the crossing, alongside by Izzy (who's strength seems to have failed her) and Eli (who follows almost instinctively).

Skipper, Leo, Jordan and Des - as you feel the glamour washing over you, you steel yourselves against the flow...

Spending 40 Luck to beat your POW rolls.

...but fighting it is like hacking through the woods with a spoon. The power, like a venerable oak, is mighty, ancient and unyielding.

Your minds scream at you to stop, but your limbs are not listening...

New topic coming right up...