Statement 4: Back to School

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: Statement 4: Back to School

Post by jp1885 »

Inside the school

Please make a Research roll Des.  
Why is everyone so intent on bothering Mrs. Evans? She's a lovely person -they should leave her alone.

You don't detect anything unusual - just background vestigia (The faint ringing of a school bell and the squeak of chalk on a blackboard.

Miss Driffield, looks at you expectantly, if somewhat dreamily. Is there anything else you want to do here?

----------------

Skipper - In the cafe

"Oh, she scarpered as everyone found out about how corrupt he was," one of the old dears replies. "You know small towns: gossip spreads like wildfire and it was pretty obvious he was on the take when you think back. She saw the writing on the wall - Mr. Williams told me he saw her packing her bags in the taxi with a face like a sour lemon. The whole business has caused a big scandal - this used to be a nice, quiet town."

“Well, there was that weirdo that used to hang around the school before the new one was built. When was that, the seventies? Someone told me he got hit crossing the road.”

“And I remember our Edith telling me about that GI who got that girl pregnant during the war and then did her in. I suppose they whisked him away before anyone could get hold of him.”

"Oh yeah, and there was that woman, wasn’t there? Used to beat her kiddies? Went out to pick them up from school but vanished. Best thing for the poor mites I reckon.”

They finish up their bara brith, dabbing their mouths daintily with napkins, before draining the cups.

"Anyway, nice speaking to you. we must get on - Countdown starts in a minute."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Research (30) 1d100

Des rolled her eyes. It turned out that trying to search Facebook in a make believe game was just as useless as trying to search Facebook in real life… …
Last edited by Philulhu on Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Mrs. Evans seems so nice," says Jordan. "We really shouldn't bother her at home. We know where she's going to be in a few hours anyway."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper rose to his feet as the ladies left. "Lovely meeting you, ladies. Thanks for showing me this cafe and the bara, very nice."

Once they'd gone, he swiftly sent a message to the team chat, paid for everyone's tea and cake as promised, then headed out and back towards the school in search of the rest of the team.
Last edited by Snapper on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan texts back that they're at the school, but they're planning to check in with DS Singh.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

After reading Snappers message, keeping his voice low je turns to Izzy "What we found out at the museum and with Snappers more recent finds, it does seem like we are dealing with some kind of judgement deity. Whichever spirits the town were 'worshiping back in the day seems to be thriving in the modern day."
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Leo smiles softly. Since white boards were at his schools, and Smart Boards at Abigail's school more recently, that vestigia must be old indeed. He idly wonders how long there's been a school on this site, but knows that isn't pertinent to today's investigation. Maybe he could poke around later and find out.

"I'm really looking forward to meeting her."

Once he's sure only the others can hear, "It seems patently unfair to the heathens among us to have to suffer from some random god's whims. I spent all my life not believing in capital G god, only to have my trip to Covent Garden ruined by ghost causing a riot and a river goddess flooding it and now some judgement deity is trying to slap me and my friends around."

Observation (60/30): 1d100

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Justice needs to be tempered with mercy," says Jordan. "I guess that's where the big G God comes in. We've all got things about which to feel guilty. If there's only pure, unadulterated justice, we'd all be condemned. What happens if one of these children does something mean, as children sometimes do, and then disappears crossing the street?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

”If kids wos goin’ missin’, it’d be all over de news,” said Des. ”If she couldn’t cover up dat Councillor goin’ missin’, der ain’t no way we wouldn’t have heard of dat.”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

This is true, there .ust be another part of this ritual/ judgement. Maybe a specific person must be offered up? Or as Jordan says there would be alot more missing persons." Eli sa6s thoughtfully.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

"Just because she, or they, or whoever, sits in judgement, doesn't make them a deity. I know gods and goddesses, Alice and I went for dinner at one's house the other week. By the way, if Peter and Bev invite you round at any point, be warned. Spicy doesn't even cover their cooking, you'll be breathing fire afterwards."

Izzy frowns at the implications. The worry about the kids is right - although in a place like Cwmllyn the kids are probably mostly sweet and well behaved, Izzy knows from her time as a policewoman that sometimes kids can be incredibly cruel. And it only takes one to have been raised the wrong way to do something they can't take back...

"Presumably this woman, or whoever's controlling it... if anyone... can pick and choose who gets targeted. Whatever it was, it... it spat us back out like it didn't want us. Leo and I. Even knowing what I... well, anyway. Maybe she chooses who gets taken. Or maybe it's a remorse thing. If you really feel guilty, or don't show remorse at all, that determines it."

She's conflicted. On the one hand, she's all for justice being dispensed against the truly deserving. The ones who've committed proper crimes, really hurt people... but on the other hand, she's police, and she knows that nobody should have the power to be both judge and executioner. Assuming that's what's happening here.

"Besides... doesn't matter who's controlling it. If they're sentient, and they're acting in this country, they're subject to UK law. Don't need to be human for that to apply. Gods and goddesses, fae, goblins, spirits, whatever, they follow the rules. This Mrs. Evans is no exception."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper wandered up the road toward the entrance to the school, carefully avoiding the zebra crossing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"My concern is that this phenomenon is quickly getting more powerful," says Jordan. "It's much stronger than it was this morning. Who knows how much moreso it will get? People who could cross the street without incident today may get scooped up tomorrow."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" I woder if its growing stronger because its being called upon more? Feeding on renewed faith, offerings?" Eli replied.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Leo - while the main school building looks relatively modern (1970s - 1980s at a guess), the presence of a Victorian-looking chapel indicates a 19th century vintage at least.

So what would you like to do next, brave investigators?  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Is the Skipper reunited with the rest of Team Folly?  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Yes, unless you want to do anything else. Assume he meets everyone at the school.  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper wandered up, looking relaxed, refueled with tea and Welsh tea cake. "No luck finding lollipop lady's gaff from the school staff, I take it?"

"So, add these to the tally of the missing. We got a GI in World War Two who gets a local girl in the usual trouble then kills her. We got a suspected paedo a few decades later. And we for a mum what was beating her kids. First female to go missing I think."

"Anyone else got a moral compass what's spinning at the moment? I mean, do we want to stop lollipop?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Nobody seems to know where she lives," says Jordan, "but we can just talk to her when school lets out. In the meantime we can check in with DS Singh. We don't know that Mrs. Evans is responsible for this. She seems so nice. We do need to stop what's happening, though."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"We could ask DS Singh about our elusive lollipop lady. There must be a record of her DBS check,like Des said." suggested Eli

Return to “Rivers of London”