Statement 4: Back to School

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Statement 4: Back to School

Post by jp1885 »

Any effects from the school crossing quickly subside as you turn your backs on the road and face the educational establishment that is Cwmllyn Primary School.

It is a typically provincial example of such buildings: built in the 1970’s, obviously on the site of a smaller Victorian building (remnants of which can be found in the surviving chapel which stands a few metres away). Behind these buildings is a small playground, leading to a modestly sized playing field. Classes are in full swing, so the school is full of chatter and play. It is secure, with wire fencing and metal gates separating the small car park from the rest of the school. A sign directs visitors to reception.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Statement 4: Back to School

Post by Philulhu »

”C’mon coppers, get ur badges out,” Des said dryly. She took a few steps towards the reception, then paused, looking back at Skipper. ”Better put ur camera away. Don’ want anyone gettin’ de wrong impression.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan also heads for reception.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli walks into the reception, looking for thst list of staff members that's always on the wall, listing their names with their photos.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper looked at Des in surprise, eyebrows raised. "Nice! A much better line in banter and put-down than your usual 'e's a nob type effort."

"I guess my obvious comeback would be, well, at least I'm doing something. You know, trying to contribute, not being a tourist. But I'm not going to say that. I don't want to crush the newfound wit. I shall simply respond with manly silence."

"I'll wait outside the school. No real need for all of us."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des paused and looked back at Skipper. ”Aww… did I ‘urt ur feelin’s by callin’ u a nob? Well, u stay ‘ere an’ work on ur personality!”

She laughed, spun around and headed into the school.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Inside the School

Those of you going into the school find yourselves in a small reception lobby. A trophy cabinet proudly displays a modest number of inter-school sporting awards (mainly rugby), while a team photo identifies members of staff. One wall is entirely given over to a large colourful picture, drawn in crayon on stapled-together sheets of A3 paper. It is entitled "Our Town" and at a cursory glance, features various aspects of the town's history, as drawn by the children.

A polite cough emanates from an open wall hatch, through which a middle-aged lady is looking at you, somewhat alarmed, from a tiny office.

"Um, hello? Can I help you?" she asks.

Outside the School

Those of you loitering outside the school are left to weather the drizzle that continues to permeate.

After a few awkward minutes, you begin to attract attention from the locals - to wit: three elderly ladies. After a short discussion, they approach; curious, but not hostile.

"Are you alright?" one of them asks. "We saw someone fall over just now at the crossing."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Good day, ma'am," says Jordan. "We were looking for Mrs. Evans. Do you know where we could find her?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper sighed and watched Des depart, determined not to let exasperation take hold. When the three elderly ladies approached, he was somewhat distracted, taking phone photos of the non-school parts of the nearby streets.

"What? Oh... Ah, excuse me ladies, I was in a world of my own. Thinking about nice photos of this village."

"Thank you for your concern but my colleague is OK. Wounded pride if anything. I mean, he fell over on a zebra crossing, how does anyone manage that?"

"Ah, are you long time residents of the village? I wonder if you might know the lollipop lady who does this crossing? I've heard she's a sort of village treasure."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy ignores the bickering between Skipper and Des, but she does as suggested, taking out her warrant card to quickly display it for the woman at reception, if only to allay any concerns that she might have at the sight of several strange adults entering a school without a clear appointment. They don't exactly look like the board of school governors, after all. Though she makes sure the 'London Met' part of the card is hidden by a thumb so as to avoid any queries on why they're so far out of their usual patch.

"Don't worry, she's not in any trouble... we just wanted to ask if she saw anything with regards to the recent disappearance of Councilor Short. We're talking to anyone who happened to be present near the scene, and she's simply next on the list. Shouldn't take long and then we'll be out of your way."

She also puts on her best 'disarming the public' smile to reassure the receptionist.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Like Eli, Des had drifted away to study the school staff photos while the coppers tackled the reception desk.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Casting a glance over the team photo's Eli glances up and migrates to the mural.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 287 times

Leo straightens his tie and Picards his suit coat before extracting his warrant card and approaching the receptionist. While it was immaculate before they left this morning, the long drive took its toll and, like Eli after his last encounter with the beckoning black portal, looks a bit wilted. Nevertheless, he summons a warm smile as he allows her to see. "DC Leo Dansby, Met... It's a pleasure, ma'am." Only one chance to make a good impression, he reminds himself.

"We assure you that she's not any trouble,' he adds, realizing as he says it, that's what every cop in the cop shows says when the person is usually in a great deal of trouble indeed. "As my colleagues said, we hope she can assist with our inquiries involving the Councilor Short."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Inside the school

The school receptionist is as startled by your credentials as your questions.

"Um, perhaps it's best if you speak to someone in authority. Miss Driffield, the deputy head, has a free period - I'll go and get her. Wait here please."

She scurries from out of her cubby hole and disappears into the school.

This at least gives you some time to study your surroundings a little more.

The staff photos show teachers, classroom assistants, office staff (including the lasy who has just rushed off - Mrs. henderson) and the senior leadership team. Miss Driffield, a young mixed-race woman, is smiling brightly. Interestingly, you cannot find anyone labelled as Mrs. Evans.

The mural drawn by the pupils shows various aspects of the town's history. It depicts spear-carrying tribesmen kneeling among green bushes, farming scenes, coal miners emerging from a pit head, tin-helmeted soldiers marching down Grove Street and a smiling lollipop lady helping children cross the road. Next to the lollipop lady, in a section coloured in reds and oranges, a bible-wielding man points at a small crowd of stick figures knelt in prayer outside what appears to be a chapel.

Please make an Observation roll  
------

Outside the school

"Ooh yes, we've lived here all our lives," the old ladies coo in unison.

"Well, I spent a few years in Merthyr Tydfil when my David got transferred there, but he's long since passed," one of them admits, somewhat ruefully. "So I moved back here to be close to our Darren."

"You're asking about Mrs. Evans?" says another. "Aw, isn’t she lovely? Touch of class too: never eats shop-bought when she can get homemade.”

“That's true. Keeps herself to herself. Lives somewhere on Grove Street I think.”

“Bless her for looking after them kiddies. No, she lives down Carpenter's Lane!"

"No she doesn't! I'm sure she lives on the new estate! Been here for donkeys years she has, come rain or shine."

The trio begin to bicker.

"That's where your Darren's wants to move to isn't it?"

"Don't be daft! He'll stay next to his mam!"

"Oh, you go and let him spread his wings!"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper was getting a bit fearful a three-way bust up was about to happen. And with his luck he'd cop one in the eye holding the three ladies apart.

"Thank you ladies. Umm, where's the best place to get a cup of tea and maybe a scone hereabouts, do you think?"
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Observation (60) 1d100

Edit: Hard success 😎

Something catches Des’ eye…
Last edited by Philulhu on Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli just admites the children's artwork......
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan studies the pictures keenly. He wonders just how old the lollipop lady is, but it would be rude to ask.

Observation roll (70% skill) in the office:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Observation: 60%  
1d100

Izzy easily spots whatever the others do as well. She sighs a little as she hadn't been planning on revealing they were with the Met - no matter the importance of London, she was well aware that being from there didn't give them the right to operate over the whole damn country, and some people (especially in Wales) took a very dim view of the capital flaunting itself elsewhere, but never mind. As long as they can speak to this mysterious lollipop lady anyway.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Inside the School

A closer inspection of the mural reveals the outline of more drawings next to the chapel that have obviously been rubbed out and coloured over, leaving a faint impression a stick figure hanging from a gibbet while a long-haired figure in flowing robes and holding a staff looks on.

A few moments later, the receptionist returns with Miss Driffield, looking very similar to her photo: a short, slightly built mix-race woman in her thirties. She has brown eyes, a round face, and dark hair.

"Hello there, welcome to Cwmllyn school," she says. "I understand you're the police? I hope nobody's in trouble. How can I help you?"

-----------------------

Outside the School

"Oh, there's the café down the road," one of the old dears replies. "They do a lovely bara brith."

"Oh yes - lovely! with a cup of tea!"

"Tea, yes. I know, let's show you the way - I'm a bit peckish myself!"

Skipper, you find yourself flanked by two of the ladies, who each link arms with you while the other marches on ahead.

"Come on then!"

Return to “Rivers of London”