Statement 3a: A Day at the Museum

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 3a: A Day at the Museum

Post by jp1885 »

Cwmllyn library/museum is a small building set back a little in a row of terraced houses situated opposite the school. Outside is a free-standing sign labelled ‘Cwmllyn Museum and Library’.

Judging by appearences, the building serves several purposes; municipal library, museum of local history, local archives, and isitors information centre; all crammed into a single room which takes up the whole of the ground floor.

Inside, it smells musty and feels unloved and appears to be empty.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Statement 3a: A Day at the Museum

Post by Snapper »

Skipper wandered in with Eli, looking unthrilled to put it mildly.

"I should have gone to the house. Why did I choose this?"

He looked about. "Anybody here?!"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli stepped into the museum behind Snapper, taking a deep breath, "You can just smell
the history."
Sensing Snappers joy at being here he smiles. "When we find the curator, you could maybe look through the 'ol micro fiche while I get stuck into the musty tomes.
"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Microfiche? I remember looking at that at school. The only thing that can make you car sick while you're sitting on a chair in a library."

Bored already, Skipper started prowling around. "Gordon Bennett...
Hopefully, no books fly out and hit me."

1d%30%

Fail.  
1d%60%

Hard Success.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Skipper; you detect no vestigia to speak of, but with a keen eye you can quickly see how the room is split.

One section, the library, consists mainly of second-hand books of the kind usually found in charity shops. Scattered among these are a few books on local history.

The microfiche section, so cannily predicted by Eli, appears, judging by the tattered user guide tacked on the wall next to them, to enable the user to view local birth, marriage and death records and also copies of old local newspapers. An elderly computer terminal is also available to access digitised records.

The museum, such as it is, consists of two display cases set against one wall of the room. They contain old farming implements, broken clay pipes, an old miner’s helmet, and various pieces of ephemera relating to the town.

Your exploration soon attracts the attention of the curator: Judith Trindle, according to her name badge. She is a tall, stern-looking woman in her late
fifties. She looks every inch the stereotypical librarian, glasses on a chain et al.

"Yes? Can I help you?"
she asks, appearing somewhat irritated at your intrusion into her sanctuary.

Trindle.jpg
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" Ahh, good afternoon. My name is Eli Venturini and we were just admiring your splendid museum. Im a History lecturer and was wanting to learn some about your town, local folklore, legends, main events in the history of the town. Oh and any old maps which may show the towns development over the centuries. "
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

With resignation, Skipper gravitated over to the elderly computer...
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eli - Mrs. Trindle looks at you as if you've admitted to tipping a bucket of manure on the floor.

"Well, if you must. We've plenty of books on the subject in the library. I can pick some out for you if you wish. Make sure you don't crack the spines though."

She peers over your shoulder as Skipper sits at the computer.

"And be careful! That's a very expensive piece of equipment!"

Please furnish me with a Research roll each to see what you can unearth. Is there anything in particular you want to research?  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

OOC:   Eli would like to research any mention of the Grove in the history of the town be it in folktales or actual accounts linking to people, also its location on any of the maps  
8-) :ugeek:
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper settled at the computer, cracking his knuckles. "I'll be very careful, Missus, barely touch it." He pulls out some chunky old, black-rimmed, NHS-issue glasses and puts them on. Being surprisingly light (in the sense of gentle) fingered, he tapped and scrolled away, trying to find anything on the riots of 1904 to 1905, the religious revival leading up to the riots, and what happened to those fervent preachers and converts after.

Also, any newspaper articles on the missing Councillor Short.

1d%H70%

Extreme Success.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The pair of you positively ace the research!

Working at an efficiency and pace that would make the cleverest Oxford don weep, you soon uncover plenty of information on the history of the town - to wit:

The history of Cwmllyn:
There has been a settlement at the site since at least the Bronze Age. The town has served the local agricultural community for centuries, with hill farmers bringing their livestock to market before the advent of the railways allowed them to trade in larger cities further afield.
Apart from small-scale coal mining in the 18th-19th century, the town has seen little in the way of industry and suffered a decline in population between the world wars. This depression lasted until the late 20th century, although contemporary reports show that the town remained content and largely crime-free despite being moribund economically.
Cwmllyn is currently experiencing a significant change, thanks to the arrival of a major road artery, linking the town to larger cities in a way never seen before. This has led to a building boom, with many newcomers looking for a semi-rural base from which to commute.

The religious revival of 1904-5:
Wales was swept up by a religious revival, starting in 1904. Methodist preachers toured the country, holding prayer meetings, and filling churches to over-capacity. The effects were considerable: rough miners, for example, forswore alcohol and bad language, and took to prayer and hymn singing. The revival only lasted for a couple of years, but influenced other religious awakenings across the globe.
By the end of 1905, a minority of preachers had become disillusioned with how the movement was weakening and became more fundamentalist in their sermons.
A fellow called Preacher Jones operated exclusively in and around Cwmllyn. His sermons became increasingly fiery, leading up to the riot of 1905, which was quelled by the local militia.

A treatise on religious practices in Bronze Age Wales says the following:
Little is known about the subject. Archaeological evidence suggests that offerings of foodstuffs were left at certain sites. Archaeologists have found pottery shards, cooked animal bones and grains.
In addition, a number of folk tales have been recorded, in which spirits of sacred groves were honoured with gifts. Communities would ‘cleanse’ themselves, asking these spirits would seize the unworthy and send them to the underworld for punishment.

The exact location of the grove is unknown, but looking at old maps, Grove Road has always been the main thouroughfare through the town.

Looking through the (mainly national) newspaper archives, you find nothing on Councillor Short than you don't already know, but Cwmllyn does get the occasional mention:

1904: Religious revival spreads – Emlyn Jones is noted as holding his first sermon at Cwmllyn chapel.
The crowd was so large that Jones went outside and preached on the lane next to the school.

1905: Militia quells riot in Welsh town – Preacher Jones is blamed for inciting a lynching in Cwmllyn.
The local authorities dispatched the militia to keep the peace and shots were fired. Several people were killed or injured. A search for Jones was carried out, but he was never found.

1917: Trail for army deserter goes cold in Cwmllyn – A deserter from the Monmouthshire Regiment went missing from their depot in South Wales. He was last seen in Cwmllyn.

1952: Dead wife found in missing farm worker’s cottage – A farm worker was reported missing by his employer the day before. He was never found.

The only other mention of the town you can find is on an archived news website from 2003:

Screenshot 2024-02-07 202618.png
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper sent a summary of their findings to the rest of the team by group message.

He looked over to the curator, trying harder now to be polite. "Ms - ah - Trindle? There's an article about a long serving lollipop lady, a Mrs Evans. Would that lady still be alive, by any chance?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"The lollipop lady? Yes, I believe she's still alive," Mrs. Trindle replies, hovering behind you to ensure her precious computer isn't abused. "Why do you ask?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Soaking it all in, Preacher Jones....sites I worship/offerings....deserter disappearing, farmer disappearing and his wife found dead. His hands holding his chin, deep in thought. Villagers making offerings to spirits in return for making their enemies disappear.....a long serving lollipop lady, guarding a crossing...a modern day Charon? He thinks, eye brows arching. Letting out a sigh, no location for the grove, but a road bearing its name. A road leads somewhere, maybe its at one end of the road.
Overhearing Snappers conversation with the amenable Ms Trindle and thinks he should ask her for a current map of the village to check what lies at either end of the road.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

jp1885 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:27 pm "The lollipop lady? Yes, I believe she's still alive," Mrs. Trindle replies, hovering behind you to ensure her precious computer isn't abused. "Why do you ask?"

"It's always good to speak to a few living witnesses to history. It adds some colour and brings a bit of life to the facts. Someone who has been part of the village for decades should have good memories to share. Helps Eli here not to be so boring for his students."

"Would you be able to tell us where we might find the lady? She might even consent to being audio-recorded, perhaps? We would bring chocolate hobnobs or tea cake or something nice, of course."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"I don't know where she lives," Trindle replies. "But she'll be at the school crossing, seeing the children across, when they finish. That's at three-thirty, so you've about four hours. Thankfully they seldom come into here - the little darlings are usually straight off to the sweet shop."

"Now is there anything else I can help you with? A guided tour of our exhibits? Or can I get on with my cataloguing?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Although i cant speak for my companion here, i would love a tour of your exhibits.
To get a real feel for your beautiful town and its local geography."
Eli says with a smile.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Is there a local village council, or town council? I might wander over to it if there is ."

Could we create an RoL forum topic for messages sent to the team's group chat?

(I realise the weird redundancy of a folder for an RPG group chat.)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

I'm happy to start another thread for group messages, but rather than clutter up the board too much, would using the Evidence Board thread be a good place to post such stuff?

"The town hall is just up Grove Street, opposite the war memorial, but I doubt you'll get much help from them," Trindle tuts. "They were pretty useless before - mainly Short's lackeys - but since he ran away they're nothing but a bunch of headless chickens!"

She fixes a withering stare on Eli.

"That was sarcasm dear. The exhibits, such as they are, are in that glass cabinet over there."

She points to the far wall, which is dominated by a long glass display cabinet.

"By all means take a look, but don't touch the glass!"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli gives the curator a warm smile."Why thank you kind lady, I can see why the museum is so popular under your friendly guidance." And walks over to the case.

Return to “Rivers of London”