Statement 3b: The Short Residence

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 3b: The Short Residence

Post by jp1885 »

Councillor Short's home is a four bedroom mock Tudor detached house with a separate modern double garage, set in a quiet cul-de-sac a short climb up from Grove Street.

Outside, the front consists of a gravel driveway and the rear, judging from what you can see through the rhodedendron hedge, is a large garden studded with expensive garden furniture and topiary. Set to one side is a double garage, with enough room for two vehicles by your estimation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Statement 3b: The Short Residence

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Let's check out the garden first, see if there's anything in plain sight," says Jordan, remembering their last case.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Big place,” said Des, looking around.

”Did ‘e live on ‘is own?” she asked.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

"He must have a partner or kids or something. I can't see him living in a four bed place like this without a family. Of course, if he's as dodgy as they say, he might have driven them away already..."

Izzy follows the others as they approach the house, key in hand ready to head on inside. Then again, surely they wouldn't have the key if there was another person living there who could let them in or be questioned...
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The back garden can be accessed by a side gate. It is tidy, and professionally well-maintained, if a little dishevelled after a few days of neglect. Somewhat gauche in design, it boasts expensive statuettes dotted here and there and a large pagoda set at the far end.

Access from the garden into the house is via a large set of bifold doors, which, as ascertained by peering through the glass, leads to a large kitchen-diner.

"Hey! What're you doin'? Burglars is it? I'll call the police!"

Peeking over the side gate is the wizened face of an old man, who bobs furiously up and down in an attempt to get a good look at you.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy, still reeling from the events at the crossing, and not in the mood for any further trouble, simply glares at the man over the side gate, as she pulls out her warrant card.

"Good news then, we've managed to get response times down to literally before you even call..."

The bobbing up and down is really getting on her nerves, what few are left unfrazzled at least. She forces herself to keep a level voice as she responds to the man.

"Guessing you're Mr. Short's neighbour? DC Cooper, looking into his disappearance." She gestures to the others to introduce themselves.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des looked over and nodded. ”’Sup?” she said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I'm Dr. Jordan Schneider," says Jordan with a friendly wave.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 290 times
I stand out in the front yard of the house and do a quick Sense Vestigia for the house and front garden before I catch up with the others

Sense Vestigia (60/30): 1d100

Leo follows the noise to the back and gets out his Warrant Card, waiting before speaking. "DC Leo Dansby," I say, smiling politely.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Ah, police is it?" replies the man, letting himself into the garden and looking around curiously.

"Yes, I'm his neighbour. Billy Williams I am. Most people call me Double Bill. Dodgy business this isn't it? Him buggering off like that, if you'll excuse my language. Always thought he was up to no good. Councillors - all the same ain't they?"

Attempting to peer through the bifold doors, he tuts.

"Nice place he's got here. Never invited Mrs. Williams and myself over though. Divorced mind you - left her for some young bint from Russia or somewhere. First wife went to live with their son in Florida and the bint's in Cardiff, last I heard."

Clearly Mr. Williams is very well informed!

Leo - you detect no discernible vestigia.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

So technically Izzy's first thought was right - there was a partner and kids, they just weren't around any more. Seems like Short had indeed driven them away, via trading in for a younger, sexier model. And then driven her away too. Or maybe put her up in some fancy apartment overlooking the Bay to use as a love nest while he stayed in the town house for work purposes. Either way, she doesn't seem to be here now.

"Can't really comment on politics while I'm on duty, no bias allowed."

Izzy pointedly doesn't mention her party membership card tucked away safely in her purse. And doesn't mention which party, though to her friends it's probably obvious.

"So the place is empty... in which case, we should be fine to have a look around. We have a key, we have a warrant, and we know there's no-one to let us in... By the way, Mr. Williams, do you know much about what Mr. Short had been getting up to?"

The man is clearly a gossip, so if he has any useful information then it's worth asking. They can always haul him in for a more formal questioning later on, even if he's not a suspect - 'helping the police with their enquiries', as it were.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Do you know the name of the woman in Cardiff, or her address there?" asks Jordan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Ah, well most councillors are on the take aren't they?" Williams replies. "But Short was the worst of the lot - taking money from property developers isn't it? That big housing estate and the dual carriageway - he made sure the planning permission went through and suchlike."

"Now what was the girl's name? Anastasia wasn't it? Dunno her new address, but Mrs. Williams from the bakery saw her going into one of those swanky waterside flats at Cardiff Docks the other day,"
he sniffs. "Or so she told Mrs. Williams who runs the tearooms. She told Mrs. Williams who's married to me and, well I suppose I'm telling you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Thank you," says Jordan. "Do you know her last name?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des had got bored of listening to the gossipy old man and wandered over to the pagoda, where she turned and looked up at the house. ’e must of been on the take to afford a gaff like that,’ she thought to herself. She’d never really thought about her own housing situation before. She’d always lived with family or occasionally stayed in a room at the Folly. She wondered if that was to be her lot in life or whether she’d ever be able to afford something like this.

She glanced around, looking to see if there was anything else at this end of garden.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Jordan - Williams blinks. "Why, her last name is Short - on account of them being married," he says. "Well, for the time being - buggering off to Cardiff isn't a good sign is it? Hey ho, I can't stand here all day helping you with your enquiries - Cash In The Attic's on in a minute."

He gives you a companionable nod and retreats back through the gate.

Izzy - The pagoda is new, tasteless and very expensive. You don't see anything interesting in or around the structure.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I think I'm beginning to understand what's going on here," says Jordan, when he sees what Skipper has sent them. "Whatever powerful force is at that crossing amplifies feelings of guilt. I felt guilty just for not being able to sense the vestigia. It had a much more powerful effect on you, Izzy, but only because you felt guilty. Your actions were completely justified, don't doubt it. Just imagine what it would do to an armed robber, or a deserter, or a murderous farm worker...or a bent Councilman. The ancient grove must have stood on that very spot, and it's still active. My guess is they were taken to the underworld for punishment, as they believed back in the Bronze Age."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des wandered back to the rest of the group as Jordan finished his explanation. She shrugged and nodded towards the back door.

”We goin’ in?” she asked.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 133 times

"Yes, I suppose a look around the house is the next logical step. Given that we actually have permission and all..."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

All things considered, Izzy is pretty certain that the Russian honeypot isn't the lead to be following here... a false lead if ever she saw one. Beyond that, however, Jordan's words strike a chord. And not a very pleasant one. Izzy doesn't want to think about what happened at the crossing, nor be reminded of Will Grimes, but it can't be avoided. The theory is sound, and she still hasn't said precisely what she saw.

"I... there was a sort of... portal," she says in a very quiet voice. "Drawing me in. Judging me."

Izzy looks slowly at each of the others in turn.

"If you're right... maybe Short went through it. Maybe the others did too..."

She shivers, a sudden chill running through her, and nothing to do with the cold weather of south Wales in winter.

"Yeah... we should go inside. See what we can find."

Return to “Rivers of London”