Statement 2: Welcome to Wales

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: Statement 2: Welcome to Wales

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Nodding to Skipper, " Good thinking, I'll pop to the library, better chance of a deep dive into the local colour there than the fluff usually found in the tourst information. I don't mind popping along on my own, i mean what's the worse that can happen in a library?" Eli says.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Divin’ in de library or fluffin’ in tourist information. Man, u spoilt for choice…” said Des, dryly.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

DS Singh collars a constable and has him show you around the station, pointing out such highlights as the coffee machine, toilets and for some reason the room 'where we used to keep the big photocopier 'til it broke'. He also points out a small desk in the office, cleared for your personal use.

So we have Des going to Councillor Short's house and Eli visiting the local library/museum. What's everyone else going to do?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

After we try to sense vestigia around the crossing, I'd like to go to the Councilman's home.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   I'm thinking the check for vestigia doesn't take long and the more who try, the better. Why not all go together to the point the Welsh dude disappeared and all check? Then we drop Eli at the library while the rest of us to search the residence?  
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 532 times

"Splitting up worked well for us last time." Leo blushes as he recalls the fit manager from the leisure centre. "We could have one team hitting the books and one team checking for vestigia. I can go with Team Vestigia team to check the school crossing and the Counselor's home. Since I've was injured on a couple of recent vestigia checks, I would definitely appreciate some backup."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"You've got it," says Jordan. "I'm not good at sensing vestigia, but I am good at backing people up and healing them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des rolled her eyes as the various permutations of who could do what and where were discussed. ”An’ am good at gettin’ impatient while youse all fanny about,” she said, sarcastically. ”Come on, let’s go!”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" So are we all heading to the crossing to get an initial feel the place, then heading off our own ways? Sounds good to me." responds Eli.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Even Izzy has to appreciate the directness and reasonability of DS Singh's response. She doesn't care about the coffee - she's used to the awful stuff in various other stations, of which Belgravia had always seemed like it was trying to win a city-wide award for 'Worst Coffee Ever Made', so the stuff in rural Wales can hardly be as bad as that. She simply nods, with a muttered "thanks" for the answers.

To the others, she concurs on the idea of visiting the scene of the incident.

"Probably best we all visit the crossing point, anyone here could spot something that others miss. And then, sure, splitting up seems fine. I'm happy to go to the councillor's house and poke about there. And remember we need a warrant first, we'll ask the Sarge to sort that before we leave here."

She doesn't want a repeat of the whole Barry Flowers flat debacle.

"Afterwards... we can interview the witnesses, but I think Leo and I should probably take point on that. Being, you know, trained detectives and all."

And of course, being the only ones on the team technically allowed to be conducting interviews on police business.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

So a group visit to the crossing and then split up? Sounds good (and makes my job easier!)  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

A short stroll along the main street takes you to the local primary school. As you approach, the joyful shrieks and yells of children are interrupted by the trill of the school bell, calling them in from their playtime.

Adjacent to the school is the road crossing. Signified by a school crossing road sign and flanked by 'no parking' zigzags, this part of the street is relatively wide. With the morning school run over, the crossing is unmanned and traffic is light.

Standing at the edge of the crossing, you immediately feel that something is different here: a build-up of some kind of power. Something buzzes around your inner sense like a an annoying fly. It is difficult to identify, but definitely Falcon.

Sense Vestigia rolls, if you please.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des looked around to make sure that no one was likely to invade her personal space, then closed her eyes, head down, chin on her chest, reaching out to see what manifested…

Sense Vestigia (40) 1d100
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

1d%30%

Fail.  
Skipper took a few photos of the area but wasn't getting any vibes.

"I'm happy to search the gaff. That happy DS gave us the key, and the guy is a missing person. Surely this qualifies as exigent circumstances and no need for search warrants? Our old friend PACE section 17, saving life or limb et cetera."

"I imagine the local plod might already have had a search themselves, they just don't do Folly stuff. But if there's two K's of Coke in the sock drawer, then you call that DS and tell her to get a warrant."
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli takes a deep breath, closes his eyes and........nothing. Breathes out, :Ah well, worth a try......off to the library now i think."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Unsurprisingly, Jordan still can't detect any vestigia.

Sense Vestigia (30% base skill) at the crossing:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Sense Vestigia: 60%  
1d100
  Spend 3 Luck to make it a Hard Success!  
Izzy has absolutely no problem, conversely to her colleagues, at sensing whatever may be strange and out of the ordinary when they reach the crossing. Even now, her senses don't fail her.

She doesn't respond to Skipper's lesson on PACE Section 17, preferring instead to not tread on DS Singh's toes while she's already in a mood, and deferring to the Dyfed-Powys Police to make sure they've done all they need to do first. Better to double check a warrant is needed and turn out to not require one, than to enter and find out later that their evidence is inadmissible, after all...
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 365 times

Leo reached out with his senses for any trace of magical energies, but he is too distracted by his pencil to focus.

Sense Vestigia (60/30): 1d100

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Despite all your distractions and, dare I say, lack of concentration, you nonetheless feel that something is different about the road crossing: a build-up of some kind of power. It is difficult to identify, but you'd put money on something Falcon related. This failure to pick anything up leaves you with a vague sense of unease and guilt.

Concentrating, you immediately pick up the sense of happy children and busy parents, chatter, shouting, and the occasional beep of a horn. Cutting through all this a feeling of calm and steadying presence; guiding, reassuring yet also judging.

Then it hits you.

Memories of all the bad things you have done rise unbidden in your mind.

What do you most feel guilty about? Describe it.

As the knowledge wracks you with remorse and shame, you find yourself being dragged towards a yawning black portal to face the judgement you so rightly deserve.

Shame.

Wickedness.

Guilt.

Then suddenly, as if the portal doors are slammed shut in your face, you find yourself back on the school crossing - bleak rainy wind tousling your hair.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I don’t got nuthin’” said Des, with an irritated frown. ”It feel like dere should be sommat dere, but dere ain’t.”

Return to “Rivers of London”