Statement 1: To The Tech Cave!

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 1: To The Tech Cave!

Post by jp1885 »

coach house.jpg

The Tech Cave; situated in the Folly's rear courtyard on the upper floor of what was once a coach house; is your link to the outside world when ensconced in the stuffy confines of Russell Square.

Optical fibres link a HOLMES 2 terminal to various police databases and the wi-fi is pretty decent. There's a drinks fridge, a widescreen TV and a comfortable couch (although perhaps less relaxing when your guv'nor Nightingale is in residence, glued to the Rugby with a beer in his hand).

A more recent addition is a PlayStation 5 and a selection of games.

However, when DC Peter Grant, apprentice wizard and your immediate superior, sends you a WhatsApp asking you to meet him there ASAP, you suspect it isn't an invitation to play Spider-Man 2...

(For a start, it's extremely difficult to prise the controller from Molly)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Statement 1: To The Tech Cave!

Post by Philulhu »

Des slouched in. She was tired from lack of sleep and training, making her moody and grouchy, like a wounded bear. She scowled around the room, daring someone to make something of it…
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan enters promptly, eager to see what's happening. He wouldn't mind watching rugby with Nightingale, though he'd rather play than watch it. Still, he knows there must be something much more important to do.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper drifted in, backpack over a shoulder, take away coffee in one hand. He looked quite relaxed, by his standards.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy arrives, thick coat and Doctor Who scarf bracing her against the cold, over her flannel shirt and flared jeans with walking boots - it's clear she's arrived straight from an otherwise relaxing (as much as she can be these days) day off duty. Gregg's sausage roll in hand, hoping against hope that Molly doesn't spot her eating it on the way in. She's usually all for a bit of downtime in the Tech Cave, catching some international rugby with Alice, Nightingale, and Izzy's brother Anthony, but it's pretty clear from the urgent message that this is anything but downtime...
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli stands outside the address looking up at the building,feeling a chill in his bones as he ponders what wonders and horrors await him this time. Its the first time he's seen the others since the...incident, he hasn't been avoiding him he's just been busy...grading papers, dealing with students problems....all pretty mundane....just took up a lot of his time. Wrapping his scarf around his neck he opens the door and enters.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Leo was busy studying in his bedroom in The Folly when he got the message. His mother's Alzheimer's was steadily getting worse, and on his last visit last week, didn't know his name. His sister had already experienced this, so he thought he would be somewhat prepared, but the blow was a stunner. They are going to move her into assisted living, so he has been helping visit places when he can. He had been spending a little more time studying in his room. He wasn't really one of the stiff upper lip crowd, so that was probably best for everyone.

Given that he only had to cross the lot, Leo didn't bother layering up. He put on a vintage black coat with a faux fur collar that looks like it could have belonged to Mick Jagger or David Bowie back in the day. On anyone else, it would look over the top, but somehow Leo is able to pull it off. Or at least, he believes he has.

Leo nods as he slips in the tech cave with his notebook. There wasn't any sneaking in here. He grabbed a beer from the fridge. "We're not on duty, right?"

When he found a seat, his accent suddenly shifted. "See that ludicrous display last night?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Grant audibly tuts, clearly not his normal affable self. Snatching the beer out of Leo's hand, he places it back into the fridge,

"Consider yourselves back on duty. We've had a call from the Dyfed–Powys Economic Crime Team. They want to brief us on something and are Skyping from Wales. DS Singh is waiting..." he checks to make sure he's on mute. "...and I don't think she likes to be kept hanging around."

Turning the laptop to face you, the frowning face of DS Sandra Singh, an irritated-looking Sikh woman in her 40’s, fills the screen.

Singh.jpg

“Can you hear me now?” she asks. “Am I off mute?”

“Good. Now let me get this done before the internet drops out again.”

“We’ve been investigating Councillor David Short, something of a big deal in the town of Cwmllyn. We’re conducting inquiries into some dodgy dealings: backhanders from property developers and the like. You don’t need to know the details.”

“What you do need to know is that he’s gone missing. Done a runner you think? Panama maybe? Well, watch this...”

After a little muttering, her face is replaced by some traffic-cam footage.

“Look at the lanky bloke: that’s Councillor Short,”

The footage shows what is obviously a school crossing. Parents and children are being ushered across by a lollipop lady. It all seems very ordinary until a tall, gangly man barges imperiously through the children.

“Here we go…” DS Singh says.

Halfway across the road, the man vanishes!

Strangely, nobody else seems to notice. The children troop across the road, the lollipop lady waves in thanks to the waiting vehicles and the traffic moves on.

“You can see why we called you lot. You’ve been designated as our Falcon liaison; we need you over here to check for weirdness and… well, whatever it is you lot do. Help us find Councillor Short so that we can throw the book at him. The Met is sending a car round in a couple of hours.”

Briefing over, she nods.

“In advance, welcome to Wales.”

The call is abruptly terminated.

"There - now you know as much as I do," says Grant ruefully. "Looks like you've got a little time to do some research before your ride turns up."

She sighs, looking a little guilty.

"Sorry to dump this on you, but I've got a tonne of work to catch up on and the twins are teething. Nightingale reckons some mountain air will do you all good so..." he shrugs "...off you go!"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper used his coffee cup to hide the fact he was talking, then (rather loudly) whispered to the others, "You know the regular plods call him Peter Explosion Grant."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy simply looks at Skipper, not quite sure she's hearing him correctly, talking rubbish about DC Grant whilst he's still in the room... before looking across to their superior (by experience and department seniority, even if she is technically the same rank as him) and asking a question.

"Might be a dumb question, but do we think it might be Fae related?"

She wonders, simply because invisibility seems a bit too unlikely to have two cases on the trot dealing with the same issue, and besides, DC Grant has already had his own run-ins with the Fae near enough to the Welsh border...

"Oh, and if you need some help with the twins, Alice did say she's got a bit of a break from coursework for the next week or so. Just a heads up."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"If it is invisibility again, it's not Devil Flower Juice this time," says Jordan. "No way he would have survived. Could be teleportation. I'd like to research similar occurrences in the past, particularly in that part of Wales."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper clicked fingers loudly. "No, idiot! It's demolition! Demolition Grant, they call him! As they run the other way." He paused for a second or two. "Ah, did I say that or think it?" Pause. Embarrassing silence. "Ahem."

Hastily, he hauled his battered looking and allegedly 'rugged' tablet computer from his backpack. "We actually have Wi-Fi here, right? Lemme get on with finding what the internet thinks of this Welsh plonker, Councillor David Short. Jordan, the un-computer-ised snail-library next door is all yours."

Skipper hastily started an in-depth internet search of said councillor, including newspaper articles, unflattering gossip, and the Welshman's social media output. He avoided Grant's gaze and hoped fervently the man did not know Slugulus Eructo.

1d%H70%

Success.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des spoke for the first time. ”Wales? Where’s dat den?” she asked, obviously never having heard of it before… …
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"It's west of here," says Jordan, "and I don't mean Hammersmith." He heads for the library and begins his research into similar phenomena, only to have a bookcase almost fall on him, reminding him of his first case.

Research roll (60% skill) in the library:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 2163 times

Clearly, the answer is yes. They are back on duty. Leo digs in his coat pocket and produces a pencil and starts taking notes.

Adding to Izzy's suggestion, "If it is fae-related, maybe there is some homework we can do in the libraries before we leave."

"Wales has some beautiful men's choral traditions. I don't suppose we'll have time to take in a concert while we're there..." he said sadly.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

if you haven’t already done so, please make a Research roll and state what, how and where you’re researching, (Bad luck Jordan, I’ll have to think of how you mess up, unless you want to spend some Luck to change the result from a mere failure, rather than a fumble).  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" Judging by the reaction or lack of from the people around him, especially children i don't think this is another case of invisibility or at least not as we know it. Maybe a shift in perception? We should maybe look into any spells which could do that? I'm going to look into the local history, folklore and see if any similarities pop up." Eli says from the back of the room.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”W.A.L.E.S.” said Des to herself, as she typed into Google on her phone…

Research (30) 1d100
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

How much Luck do I need to spend?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:20 am

How much Luck do I need to spend?
  Just 1 point to turn it from 100 to 99 - a fumble to a failure.  

Return to “Rivers of London”