Statement 1: To The Tech Cave!

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Statement 1: To The Tech Cave!

Post by Snapper »

"There's a H in it," Skipper called over to Des absent-mindedly, as he searched the internet himself. "You're spelling it wrong. It's W H A L E S."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy hangs around for Peter's response to her own musings, whilst also getting her own phone out. She sends a quick message to Alice to apologise and let her know that she's going to be away for a bit for work - whilst also promising her a trip to Cardiff themselves to make up for it.

She then switches to her own research, looking up the town itself - she's never heard of Cwmllyn, much less knowing how to pronounce it (even after hearing DS Singh say it...), and figures that if the others are looking up the guy himself, she can look up the place he helps run.

Research: 30%  
1d100
  Success!  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

As a London copper, DC Grant knows when someone is trying to wind him up, so he ignores Skipper's name-calling (besides, it's not too far off the mark.)

"Possibly Fae - who knows? If it is, you'd best call me or Nightingale before barging into their realm. Last thing we need is a diplomatic incident."

Skipper - You discover that Councillor Short has been a town councillor at Cwmllyn for over a decade and, while obviously holding great sway over his fellow councillors, is very unpopular with the populace - 'Shady Short' is one of the more polite epithets for him.

And no wonder - there is an ongoing fraud case against him by the Dyfed–Powys Economic Crime Team. You do not have the necessary clearance to review the actual evidence, but it's clear that Short has been taking bribes from property developers in exchange for granting planning permissions, overlooking environmental and safety concerns and otherwise facilitating a building boom in the town.

Looking at Police notes, it seems that investigations into specific property developers are also ongoing. Successful prosecution of these developers hinges on the arrest and interrogation of councillor Short.

Eli - Your research into magic that could alter perception uncovers a couple of potential 5th order spells. Seducere acts in a similar way to the Glamour cast by Genius Locorum and could be used to make someone see something differently, although it would take an extremely powerful practicioner to cast it over an entire town.

Another candidate is the Vultus Occulto, essentialy a disguise spell. In more recent records you find references to this spell connected with a dangerous villain known as the Faceless Man. You also find hints of a more drastic solution linked to an associate of his - former MET Police officer and Folly member Lesley May, who somehow managed to repair her damaged face.

You find little else about magic spells, but do stumble upon the diaries of Major Horace Wergyn: a County Practitioner, who operated in Wales a century-or-so ago:

Handout 2.jpg

Des - Wales (without an H), is, you find, a country located in the West of Britain, not far from Herefordshire. With England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, it makes up on of the constituent parts of the United Kingdom.

It has it's own government, located in the capital city Cardiff, and it's own unique culture. You find many references to coal mining, rugby, male voice choirs, mountains, sheep, valleys and beaches.

Digging a little deeper into the town itself, you find an old website, detailing the local history of Cwmllyn and some sort of religious revival that happened there back in the day:

Handout 1.jpg

Izzy - Looking into Cwmllyn, you find that it was originally a small town in mid-Wales, but has expanded rapidly in recent years thanks to the opening of a dual-carriageway linking the town to Cardiff and Swansea. New housing developments are springing up, turning Cwmllyn into a commuter town.

There isn't much on HOLMES2: Very little crime has been officially reported in the area. The only major incident on record is an attempted robbery in 2018. The perpetrator, a Caucasian male, approximately 6’ tall with a slim build and wearing a hooded top, was chased out of the shop by the owner, who lost sight of him as he ran over the school crossing. Despite extensive enquiries, no progress was made on the case and the perpetrator was never apprehended.

Jordan - while reaching for some musty tomes that might contain information about invisibility and teleportation, the floor of the library creaks alarmingly...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Lost sight of the robber, huh?" says Jordan when he hears about the HOLMES2 record. "That could be related."

Then I'll definitely spend the 1 Luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Somewhere further along the bookshelf where Jordan is looking, a grimoire falls to the floor.

Perhaps this is enough to distract him, for he can find nothing of relevance to the case.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Oh, ha ha!” Des snapped as a large, blue-gray aquatic mammal filled the screen of her phone…

Having corrected the spelling, she started to read, determined to have something to show for her efforts. ”It sez ‘ere dat der was a riot. Oh, but dat was a hundred years ago. About de time ‘e wos born!” She stuck her tongue out at Skipper.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

I've found two possible spells that loosely fit the parameters i was looking into, both fairly advanced though, in recent history i found mention of a 'Faceless man and a Lesley May?" Eli says shrugging his shoulders. "More interestingly I discovered entries in the diary of a Major Horace Wergym a country practioner from around a century ago. In it he states that in Cymllyn around 1904-05 the villagers seemed to be in the process of embracing Christianity and leaving the old gods behind. He mentions a sacred Grove in the village that's been 'grubbed' up. This was followed by reports of rioting as the villagers were whipped up into a religious fervour by a itinerant preacher, reports that people were 'strung up' as sinners were denounced. This preacher promptly vanished and the sacred Grove trampled all over. It would be interestingbto find where this Grove is."
OOC:   As new to the group and all things fae, I'm assuming that Eli doesnt really know about the Faceless man and Lesley May.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy shares her findings with the others, before taking a quick glance at Des. Seriously, she's never heard of Wales? The girl is what, five years younger than her, but she doesn't know what nations make up her own country - schools can't have gone that downhill since Izzy did her A-Levels, right? She doesn't say a word though, not wanting to cause an argument, and decides that for Des's birthday (whenever that is...) she'll have to buy her some decent fact books. Or a Kindle (Izzy has to choke back a gag of revulsion at the very idea) loaded with an almanac or reference guide.

"Hopefully not Fae then, but sure, we'll let you know if it is."

To Jordan, she replies, "Might be, but it could just as easily be that the robber outran the shopkeeper and disappeared behind some parked cars or another building. Worth looking into though."

She notes down Eli's findings in her notebook, with a chill down her spine. Izzy has never had the misfortune to run into the Faceless Man, lucky for her, but she remembers Lesley May, having briefly worked with her at Belgravia before Lesley joined the Folly. Right at the very start of Izzy's career. She had quite fancied the blonde, smart, gorgeous Essex girl back then, but had never made a move... would have been awkward when it turned out that her crush was straighter than a Roman road. Probably a relief now, and besides, Alice was the best thing to happen to Izzy for years. But the horrors of what the Faceless Man did, that Lesley had aided him in, still weigh heavily on Izzy's mind. Not to mention Operation Jennifer. But Izzy knows better than to bring that up in front of Peter.

"A sacred grove, and a riot or frenzy in 1905... might not be much to go on, but it's a start. Peter, do we know of any local practitioners or hedge wizards who might have an idea about the magical history of the area? Or where this sacred grove might be located? Or even a river god nearby..."

How far away is the place from Cardiff, anyway, she wonders? Does the River Taff go anywhere nearby...?
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Look towards Izzy, Eli says;" That incident you found on HOLMES2, where the suspect disappeared was it the same crossing?"
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

A good point, Izzy thinks. She checks her notes and the record again.

"There's not much detail on the record, but it does say it was a school crossing... and the footage the DS showed us was also a school zone. Doesn't mean they're definitely the same, but it stands a good chance... how many schools is a place that small likely to have, anyway?"

She makes a mental note to check the street name of the incident from 2018 and cross reference it with the councilman's disappearance as soon as possible.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" I'll look through some old ordance maps, see if i can find where the grove is/was" Eli mentions.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 4969 times

"I'll see if this matches any fae-related lore or activity," Leo replied.

Research (60/30): 1d100

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper deftly flicked the pertinent info he had located to the team via the group messaging app of choice.

"Oy, plods, I can't get access to the investigation into the councillor but I'm guessing you can."

"Economic crime? In proper English I assume that means well shady dealings, right? Villainy in a bag of fruit."

"Can you find out who the property developers are that our leek-eating roadman could grass up and send to His Majesty's? They have a fairly good reason for seeing him in a concrete column propping up the M25."
Last edited by Snapper on Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Should be easy to check if they're the same crossing," says Jordan. "If it is, then maybe it's something to do with the location rather than any power of the people who disappeared. Could be a tear in the fabric of reality or something."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Peter's face harden's when the Faceless Man and Lesley May are mentioned, but he keeps his own counsel on the matter.

"I can't think of any practitioners out that way, but that's not to say there aren't any. The most westerly river I know of is Miss Tefeidiad in Herefordshire. She told me the rivers in Wales were done in by the Methodists back in the day. That was before Lugg came along though, so who knows what's sprung up recently?"

Sketching out a map of Cwmllyn town centre, there is only one school, so presumably one crossing, situated on Grove Road.

Cwmllyn map.jpg

Leo, you find plenty of material concerning the myths and legends of Wales, from the Mari Lwyd to the bandit Twm Sion Cati, but alas nothing that points to fae activity in this instance.

Peter looks at his watch.

"Your car will be here soon - unless you know anyone who works in the Welsh Economic Crime Unit, you won't have time to look into the property development thing."

By all means, one of you can make a Hard Luck roll to see if you know someone.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Des should roll. She has the highest Luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

I may be wrong but it'd be down to the two plods, wouldn't it? Des apparently doesn't visit foreign kingdoms like Wales, so won't have many friends there I'm thinking...  

Skipper shrugged and stashed his tablet again. "Driver aside, we can keep researching on the way. No Folly library obviously. Nothing beats the A1 eyeball though, visual inspection of the location of interest. It's a rule of the RN."

"We should stop at a services along the border somewhere, get a Welsh phrase book for Des so she can order at a Welsh pub."

Another thought struck him. "Oy, Hogwarts grads, what's the story with this Major? County Practitioner? I take it that doesn't mean local GP before the NHS started? He knew about vestigia."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

OOC:   I had the same thought. Although she has the highest luck, the chance of Des knowing anyone there who works for the Police is effectively zero.  

Des studied the map. It was right next door to England - strange that she’d never heard of it! ”Don’ dey speak English, den?” she asked, having visions of hordes of people talking to her in a language she didn’t understand.

She looked around the team and shrugged. The same as any other day, really… ….
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Yeah, a Luck roll from a police officer would be best.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Luck roll: 54%  
1d100
  Fumble...  
Not only does Izzy not know anybody in the Economic Crime Unit in Wales, but she remembers a rather embarrassing incident the last time she was in Wales, where she was caught skinny dipping in Tiger Bay on a drunken dare from an ex-girlfriend who she was visiting at Cardiff University. Fortunately she'd gotten away with a fine and a caution, and no proper reprimand from her Hendon tutors... unfortunately, Leo had found out during a game of truth or dare down the pub with Izzy, Peter, Beverley, Fleet, and Abigail (who of course was on soft drinks).

She hopes it doesn't get brought up on the journey...

"Sorry, got no-one I know there. Can't help on that front. County practitioner though... yeah, I know what that means. Back in the old days, before the Folly became part of the Met, each county had a designated practitioner who reported back any incidents. Kind of like an old style countryside policeman. They dealt with things like we're doing now, so the Folly didn't have to send someone all the way from London to the other side of the country."

Izzy gives Des a slightly withering look.

"They speak English, you'll be fine. Well, except up in the far north parts. They give you funny looks up there if you use vowels."

Return to “Rivers of London”