Statement 5: Down Lane

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: Statement 5: Down Lane

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli casts his eyes over the group. All of the years of dealing with students from all walks of life, of reading the signs of all their personal struggles and triumphs pays off as he sees all the tells in all the 'Speed Demons' body language.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

The ‘Speed Demons’ mutter among themselves; clearly your words have had an impact.

Reaching a consensus, they step back, hands up.

“Look, we’ll cooperate okay?,” says their spokesman. “If someone’s got hurt… that must be Karl right? I wondered why I hadn’t heard from him. Is he okay?”

Barry too is clearly affected by what you’ve had to say.

“It’s Karl who’s been hurt?” he squeaks. “W-what happened?”

Grimesy, however, seems too far gone to be swayed. His features contort into a snarl.

“You’re all pathetic! Feeble! Is this what the Speed Demons have come to? You’re a bunch of women!”

He hefts the pack on his back, before hooking Barry around the neck with one arm and pointing the nozzle in the other at the poor man’s face.

“Arrest those fools if you want, but you’re letting me and Barry go, or he’s getting a face full of Demon Flower juice!”
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

A few things race through Izzy's mind at the same time. First and foremost being, that Grimes at least knows of the supernatural powers of the Demon Flower Juice, having seen cars turn invisible from it. So he must know about the demi monde, or at least have some inkling of the existence of magic. Second, he must know that the juice has ill effects on those who get sprayed, presumably putting the pieces together on hearing about Karl. Third, he's desperate enough to not care if somebody else lives or dies.

"So you want to add murder to the rap sheet? You know they'll eat a celebrity like you alive in prison, right?"

In her mind, Izzy prepares the forma and words for Impello Palma. If she can aim it right and just shoot the nozzle out of Grimes' hands, before he can squeeze the trigger...
Last edited by Trivun on Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Seeing the way that things were starting to go down, Des checked her phone battery again, while taking cover behind the largest object she could find… … (Jordan!)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"There's no need for any of this, Mr. Grimes," says Jordan. "Word came down from on high that you're to be left alone - unless you do something stupid like commit murder in front of a bunch of witnesses. Seems you've got friends. Of course, the people here who were formerly your friends aren't going to be so kindly disposed to you any more now that you've insulted and abandoned them. I'm sure they'd be willing to testify against you if you were to do something drastic. But none of that needs to happen. Just let Mr. Flowers go, and you're free to get in your car and zoom off."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

"Right, so much for my workout."

Skipper picked up his camera and started shooting photos of Grimes. "Don't worry, Mr Grimes, I'm sure I can get some of these into the Daily Mail or the Sun. Any publicity is good publicity, right?"

"TV personality sexually assaults ugly man with garden pesticide sprayer. No offence, Barry."

Between photos, he pondered for a second. "Actually, the Guardian might even publish these. Not my normal clientele, granted, but the far Left probably could lower themselves to a bit of gutter press for a minute if it meant making a neo-fascist like you look like a psychopathic tosser."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[81] = 81
1d100: [ 81 ] = 81

Grimes snorts at your words. It is clear he has no intention of letting Barry go.

Until Skipper starts taking photos and insulting him that is…

Shoving Barry aside, he raises the nozzle of his sprayer.

“Screw you, you big oaf!”

DEX roll please Skipper, and anyone else who wants to act.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

DEX roll: 60%  
1d100
  Magic roll for Impello Palma: 60%  
1d100

Izzy sees the action before Grimes even has a chance to undertake it, and dodges to the side and away from the aimed nozzle of the spray pack, making sure to not get any of the Demon Flower Juice on her if her foe manages to pull the trigger. At the same time, she brings up her hand as the forma comes to her mind, focused on aiming for the nozzle itself, not to destroy it, but to push it out of Grimesy's grip. She fires off an Impello Palma, hopefully sending the nozzle flying out of Grimes' hands and out of harm's way...
Last edited by Trivun on Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Izzy - I believe Grimes is wearing a backpack containing the stuff, with a hose attached that he is holding. Like a pesticide sprayer thing. :|  

1d%d60%

Oops. Can Skipper spend 31 Luck to make that a success?  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

oh dear..  
Seeing Grimesy about to spray Eli attempts to move out the way......slips towards Grimesy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan is slow to react.

DEX roll (40% stat) to act fast:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

DEX (75) 1d100

Having taken shelter behind Jordan, Des found herself caught flatfooted when his own attempt to get out of the way failed…
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Leo knows speed isn't one of his strengths, so he starts casting as soon as he sees Grimesy throw. He steps in front of Skipper and raises his shield. "Aer congolar," he murmured, hoping the invisible barrier would stop the dangerous liquid.

My plan is to sustain the shield for as long as he sprays.

Magic (70/35): 1d100

I spent 2 MP on the boosted Werelight, and 2 on this Level 2 spell, so I currently have 14 MP remaining.

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Snapper wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:15 am
OOC:   Izzy - I believe Grimes is wearing a backpack containing the stuff, with a hose attached that he is holding. Like a pesticide sprayer thing. :|  
  That is correct :)  
  Oops. Can Skipper spend 31 Luck to make that a success?  
  Yes, by all means!  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC:   31 points of luck?! 😬  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Lotsa Luck spent.  
Skipper fumbled clumsily and dropped the little cap for a roll of film on the ground. Muttering, he instinctively knelt down and bent over to pick it up, fortuitously at exactly the right moment.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

OOC:   In that case then, the spell is aimed at whatever's in his hands, so even if it doesn't get punted away, he'll still not be holding anything as the handle of the hose is hanging loose while he fumbles for a grip, and it gives a moment for us to charge in and do whatever is needed to subdue him. Buying precious seconds, effectively.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Izzy, please make a POW roll to see how accurate your Impello is.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

POW: 60%  
1d100
  Hard success, I'm guessing pretty darn accurate! :P  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Will's DEX roll to see if he gets to act first

[70] = 70
1d100: [ 70 ] = 70

Will's STR to keep control of the sprayer

[53] = 53
1d100: [ 53 ] = 53 fail

Izzy's reactions are lightning fast and she strikes with uncanny accuracy!

As her colleagues duck, leap or stumble behind Leo's shield spell, Izzy's Impello spell knocks the nozzle out of Grimesy's hand before he can even bring it to bear on Skipper.

Roll to determine what happens next - 90+ = something bad for Will
[95] = 95
1d100: [ 95 ] = 95

As the nozzle clatters to the ground, the handle somehow catches on something, causing it to spray a raging Grimesy with Demon Flower solution!

He looks down aghast at the ragged hole in his midriff.

"What the-?"

Clinging and spreading like an oil slick, the solutions starts to spread across his body, which begins to disappear.

"Nnnghh! H-help!" he wails. "M-my head hurts! Argh!"

Return to “Rivers of London”