Statement 5: Down Lane

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Re: Statement 5: Down Lane

Post by SaintMeerkat »

OOC:   BOOM! Bonus die not needed.  

POW 80 (40): 1d100

Bonus Die (if needed): 1d10

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli hovered around the back, watching the situation intently, then suddenly remembeeing to take the batteries our tof his phone.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

[30] = 30
1d100: [ 30 ] = 30

The men seem very suspicious and on the alert, but nonetheless fail to spot Leo's antics. With a deft flick of the wrist, he subtly casts a werelight and moves in into the nearest car with a skill that would make Nightingale nod in appreciation.

As he does so, he senses a strong vestigia emanating from the car - the feeling of strong sunlight, the scent of tropical flowers and the chirruping of exotic birds and insects...

One of the men, a tall hawkish man dressed as a walking mid-life crisis, takes a step towards Skipper.

"Who gave you permission to take photographs? This is a private gathering! Go away!"

Another - a leather-clad man with an ill-advised comb-over - snarls at Jordan.

"Leave that Range Rover alone! It doesn't concern you!" He turns his head towards the barn-like structure. "Will! Trouble!"

Another man, someone you recognise from your research, emerges from the building. He is wearing what appears to be some sort of backpack, attached by a hose to some kind of spout that he holds in one hand.

5963FA48-E210-11ED-9D6F-022316476D85.jpg
"Bloody hell, it's the A-Team," says Will Grimes, sneering at you with obvious distain. "Bugger off the lot of you!"

Behind him, a short fellow with a sharp nose and pointed ears, hovers uncertainly.

42C32624-E210-11ED-B759-022316476D85.jpg
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Of course, Izzy recognises the man as he appears, both from the research of earlier, seeing his face plastered across TV stations and newspapers on numerous occasions, and more obviously, hearing the other guy shout for "Will" only a few seconds prior.

"Ah, Mr. Grimes, I presume? Just to point out, I'm pretty sure this is a public space, and we have as much right to be here as you do..."

She is still holding her warrant card out on full show, if only to make it clear to him that messing around will be a lot more trouble than it's worth if 'Grimesy' wants to try any funny business. After all, attacking a police officer carries a much more serious penalty than whatever else he might be up to here, and Izzy is certain that hurting either herself, Leo, or their colleagues, will result in a particular wrath from the rest of the local force for hurting one of their own.

And not even someone as famous as Will Grimes would be able to withstand the public scrutiny of attacking a serving police officer.

Before things can get out of control, however, she sees the pointy-eared fellow behind Will, and thinks she's realised something. She decides to switch tactics just a little, and suggest that their real target of interest is someone else entirely. Twisting the truth, just a bit...

"Don't worry, Mr. Grimes, you're not in any trouble here. We just want to know about an associate of yours, one Barry Flowers. He's the one we're after."
Last edited by Trivun on Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

"Say cheese!" Skipper took a few nice photos of 'Grimesy', before continuing with head shots of the gathering. Then he deftly wound the film on, popped the old camera's rear open, the used film went into an inner jacket pocket and a new roll replaced it.

With a stunning lack of respect for shiny, expensive cars, Skipper plunked the camera down on someone's motor's bonnet, freeing up both hands.

"I will be honest with you, lads. I'm looking for a workout now that gives me an excuse to skip BJJ training tonight." Skipper adopted a quite proficient-looking martial arts stance. "Come on, pheasant pluckers, let's be having you then."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Offler damn it... Izzy thinks.

She doesn't say anything further, at least not yet, but on hearing Skipper's words she has to force herself not to sigh. She likes the guy, she really does. But this is exactly why, she figures, most police teams don't routinely work with civilian consultants. Him wanting to go toe to toe with a group of EDL-esque mouth breathers is completely at odds with her tried and tested police approach.

Hardly the sort of thing that might make Grimesy cooperate. Especially given the warnings about his connections to the powers that be...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Easy there, mate," says Jordan to Skipper. "I'm sure they'll be cooperative. Besides, it would be a bit unfair for us to unleash our skills on this lot, and our training is important. You know what the Sensei would say."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Mr. Handy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:14 am You know what the Sensei would say."

"Kill them all and let God decide?"

"What would John Wick do?"

"The sensei is a man of great wisdoms." Skipper made no further aggressive move, however.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Fuq me! It’s an boomer-off!” said Des in a volume that may, or may not, have been intended to have been heard by everyone…
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Barry Flowers squeaks in alarm.

“I-I haven’t-“

A wave of Grimes’ silences him, however.

“If you want to speak to Mr. Flowers, you’ll have to go through my solicitor.” Will intones, smugly.

“And please don’t try to threaten us with your big apes. My security team will be here soon…”

He turns to his cronies - seven of them in all.

“…and these dudes don’t take kindly to threats I…”

Gonna need some Social rolls I think.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Social: 60%  
1d100
  Hard success! Or extreme if this were CoC rules!  
"Let me guess, your solicitor is going to advise you not to say a single word, and accuse us of a stitch-up, until you can get your friends in the EDL or wherever to come and bail you out, and then accuse the biased police force and the liberal media of slander until we all get fired... I think I'm in the right area there. Trust me, please. This is the easy way, because otherwise I don't think your career would likely survive. One person has already died, and we just want to make sure nobody else does. You do know exactly what you're spraying all over your cars, don't you?"

Izzy's face is a porcelain mask of calm and serenity, the sweetest smile she can muster adorning her lips. If only he knew, that Folly cases don't tend to end up at the Old Bailey...

She's looking forward to the moment when the penny drops, and Grimesy realises he's being taken down by Team Diversity. Two people of colour, a gay man, and a lesbian, and the two token white guys to round them out...
Last edited by Trivun on Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli motions to the thug whose attempt to antagonise Skipper " Look my intellectually challenged good man, it really wouldn't be in your best interest to pick and fight with my friend here unless you fancy a night in the cells, and Mr Grimes, surely you can see the sense in co-operating with my colleague here both for legal and publicity reasons." Turning to Barry, "Your mother is worried about you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"There's no need for any unpleasantness," says Jordan. "We're here to help."

Social roll (60% skill) confronting the racers:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[87] = 87
1d100: [ 87 ] = 87

Your combined eloquence clearly has an effect on the men, for their fists unclench and they're demeanour softens.

"Look, we don't want any trouble okay? This just like a... a race meet... sort of," says the hawkish man.

For his part, Barry continues to squeak in alarm.

"My mum? She went away when I was little. You mean my nan? I didn't mean to worry her! And what do you mean, someone has already died?"

"I can't believe you're all listening to them!" snaps Grimes to his compatriots. "Look at them! That's the police's diversity quota summed up in one big leftie package! We don't have to take any crap from the likes of them!"

Shaking with barely concealed rage, he points a finger at you. However, his fellow car enthusiasts seem somewhat unconvinced.

"Maybe we should-" one replies, but is cut off by his leader.

"Maybe nothing! The Speed Demons have nothing to fear from this lot!."

Please can someone furnish me with a Read Person roll.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Read Person (60) 1d100

Edit: Arse! Sorry!

Des didn’t need to be able read people to know that there was all sorts of racist boomer arsehole in front of them…
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Read Person: 60%  
1d100
  Regular success  
Izzy can see the walls around Grimesy breaking down. If they can only keep working on that... get rid of his support, leave him standing alone... she doesn't care about the others. The reg plates alone will be enough for them, let them all taste a bit of justice with a fine or a court summons. Barry is a weak link, a crack in the mortar, and Grimesy is the big target... Izzy hears the tremor in Barry's voice, the quiver at the suggestion that someone has died, and she takes full advantage.

Her voice softens as she speaks directly to Barry. She deliberately ignores Will Grimes, letting his anger build up just that bit more... angry boomers make more mistakes, and make for easy pickings...

"That's right. Look, I know you never meant for that to happen... all of this, it's just a bit of fun, right? Just a hobby, something to do at the weekends... but someone really got hurt, and I think you know how. We just want to make sure that nobody else gets hurt like that. Okay?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Don't worry, Mr. Flowers, your nan is just fine," says Jordan. "We spoke to her earlier. We can take you to her."

Read Person roll (60% skill) about the assembled group:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Holding a martial arts sparring stance, Skipper was examining his fingernails with a critical eye.

He was conscious of an element of disapproval from the Met core of this Folly team regarding his somewhat lively address to Grimes and Co. Given his contractor status, he decided a more conciliatory attitude might be in order.  
"And I wonder, Mr Grimes," he began thoughtfully, "If by security team you are referring to the van load of skinheads who are variously unconscious, in need of medical attention, and without exception currently under arrest?" Skipper looked up from his cuticle assessment to Grimes and smiled innocently.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan adopts a similar stance, though Skipper has much more experience with martial arts than he does. Still, Jordan makes up for it with extra strength and toughness. "Yeah, I didn't even break a sweat," he says. "One little punch and down that guy went."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Leo is unsure about joining in. He knows that he is exactly the type of person Grimesy hates, so he follows Izzy's lead and keeps his comments directed toward Barry.

"I bought a flower from your grandmother. She was in fine fettle when we left. No one understands better than me that sometimes things can...get out of hand and have unintended consequences. We can help you explain it to your nan. She'll understand..."

Read Person (60/30): 1d100

Return to “Rivers of London”