Statement 4: Lime Grove

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Statement 4: Lime Grove

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan does an excellent job patching up the man he knocked unconscious. "There you go," he says. "No hard feelings."

Medicine roll (70% skill) treating the unconscious skinhead:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des scowled (for a change). ”Is dat it?” said Des. ”Why ain’t u lockin’ ‘em up?”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

"They probably haven't done anything wrong, Des, and even if they have, we've done a jelly with them now, a trade. That's the rules. What kind of roadman streets do you actually live on?"

Skipper pulled the GPS or of his pocket and waved it at the van driver. "I just grabbed your GPS, mate. Didn't want any kids nicking it, and I'll give it back in a tick. Is the address on here?"

He turned the GPS on and looked for recent addresses and movements.

1d%p60%

Success.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”’im grabbed me and dat’s assault!” Des snapped back, pointing to the skinhead nursing a bruised shin. ”Or is dat alright? U tinkin’ dat it’s ok jus’ to grab sumwan whenever u want to?”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"You knoe, she does have a pont, tou cant just go around acosting young ladies just because you feel like it!, There has to be some consequences!" Eli says agreeing with Des.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper rolled his eyes. "Well, fair play to him, I'm fairly certain he was just trying to get past you all to back up his mates, not inflict any grievous. And Des did him far more harm than he did her. As did Jordan to his mate."

"And in the heat of the moment, given how she looks, he probably thought Des was a young lad. No offence Des, and we support you, whatever gender you choose to appear as."

"But let's not forget this is all beside the point. We need to get to Barry."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Is dat ‘ow it is? Grab sumwan and den say it wos jus’ a mistake?!” snapped Des, clearly getting more irate by the minute.

”’im tried to touch me up an’ u coppers need to arrest ‘im!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan says nothing yet, waiting to see what the police say.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 579 times

"Thank you," Leo said as he quickly inspected the bag's contents before nodding politely. "As my colleague said, this certainly could have gone a little easier for you. For us all..."

It only takes a moment to catch up with what's playing out in front of him. "She just reported the crime," he said to the skinhead who grabbed Des. "Two officers of the court witnessed it. I think you're sunk unless you can convince my colleague otherwise."

"Des, would you accept an apology? That would allow us to go after Barry."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper couldn't quite believe he was watching the deal collapse before his eyes. He looked at Leo in frustration and wondered once again how the Met ever accomplished anything.

He looked back at the deal-breaker. "Des, can you please, this once, accept an apology from the guy. I know you're well unpleased but you're unhurt and he's going to have a decent bruise on his foot."

"Do this and I will owe you one, properly."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

The driver takes a step back, somewhat perplexed as you argue.

“Look, I admit I overreacted, but the boss told us not to take any shit from anyone. I-I’m sorry, alright?”

Inspecting the GPS, two addresses crop up frequently: Highcombe Farm: situated on a hill overlooking Hindhead and the Devil’s Punch Bowl, and an unnamed address on Down Lane: located just off the A3 south of Guildford.

The unconscious thug groans as Jordan treats his bruises. Coming round, he starts at the sight of the burly medic leaning over him, but a warning from his comrades stops him from lashing out.

In response to Izzy’s question, the skinhead um’s and ah’s before answering.

“The boss? Um, we’re not supposed to say, but it’s Grimesy. Y’know, that bloke off the telly.”

“Barry couldn’t come ‘ere ‘imself ‘cos ‘es busy working’ on the farm.”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" And what exactly is Barry doing on the farm? What work is soo important that he could not come home and get some clean clothes?" Eli asks.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

"..Damn it."

Of course. It made too much sense. Of course it would have to be Grimesy. And the group had already been told not to go after him, since he had friends in high places... Izzy shakes her head.

"Thanks for that. See, this is what we mean when we say people are 'helping the police with their enquiries...'."

She turns to the others with a slight grimace, and leans in close. Her voice is low enough for the group to hear without the skinheads also hearing.

"How much longer before backup gets here? We can't just let these guys go and warn Will Grimes that we're on the way, or phone him and tell him. The CPS won't prosecute, not enough evidence and these guys have explicit permission from the homeowner. And sorry Des, but there's no actual evidence on your complaint either except for our word. Nothing physical and nothing that will stick in court, the CPS won't even bother reading the statement. But we can have them held in custody at least long enough to give us a window to visit this farm."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Absolutely fuming, but seeing which way it was playing out, Des scowled. ”I see u again an’ it won’ be ur foot i’s stamping’ on!” she growled.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"What sort of work do you do for Grimesy?" asks Jordan. "Does he pay you well?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 539 times

"Sorry," Leo mouthed to Skipper. Trying to help...

He whistles sadly at the mention for Grimesy. "England's most popular homophobe."

"I would take her seriously on that," Leo assured the thug that hit Des. "They never found that last guy that crossed her," he says with a straight, deadpan voice.

When he leans into the huddle, he nods and also lowers his voice. "If we decided to leave now and let them go, I fried all their electronics, so that would potentially slow down that contact. And that van is going nowhere fast," he fist-bumped Skipper for slagging the tires. "Best case scenario... they convince a neighbor to let them make a call. Otherwise, they have quite a walk to the nearest little red booth."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper turned his smartphone back on and took photos of the two addresses on the GPS before handing it back to the skinhead, politely returning Leo's first-bump somewhere in the midst of this activity.

Curious, he had a look on his battered phone at the standard mapping "satellite view" and "street view" options for both the Highcombe Farm and the second address on Down Lane.

"We thinking a bit of covert obs? With a view to Potter and Grainger conducting an urgent search pursuant to PACE section 17 to rescue one captured Vulcan grandson?"
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

"Sounds like a plan. Or at least, the beginning of an idea of one."

Considering an actual plan hasn't yet been submitted, although the concept of something covert is a decent start. And she hates to admit it, but Izzy is quietly impressed at a civilian knowing his PACE terminology and specific sections.

"Although... I always saw myself more as mostly Luna, with a hint of Ginny..."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Blue lights suddenly pierce the evening gloom, as if summoned by said magical personage.

The skinheads groan - a collective 'oh no, not again.'

"Look, Grimesy's got Barry growin' some stuff in his new polytunnels - don't fink it's weed or anyfink like that, before you go jumpin' to conclusions. He ain't keen on 'him leavin' either, which is why we was sent 'round," one of them laments.

"Yeah - we're jus' errand boys an' that," says the driver, casting a wary glance at Des. "Deliverin' stuff, pickin' up stuff - nuffink dodgy like."

Any further explanation is interrupted by the arrival of Sgt. Dhillon, accompanied by a couple of burly fellow officers.

"Sorry about the delay - the A3's still snarled up due to camera repairs, and we got reports of some idiot in a Range Rover trying to ram a Ford Focus off the road. The driver was so shaken up he reckoned he didn't see the miscreant until it drove away. Of course with the cameras playing up, we've got nothing to go on."

She looks at the skinheads and frowns.

"Got a spot of bother have we?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Looking towards Jordan and Des , "Do you think our Mr Grimes has press ganged Barry into growing more of invisble ju-ju plants?" Listening to what Sgt Dhillon was saying Eli said "Another unprovoked violent attack? Is it just me or has there been a spike in those kind of incidents today?"

Return to “Rivers of London”