Statement 3: Flowers Fields

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Statement 3: Flowers Fields

Post by Snapper »

"Interesting," Skipper says, reflexively studying his right hand. He looks back at Jordan. "Please tell me the first symptom is you turn invisible."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I don't know the order of symptoms," says Jordan. "We'd have to ask the deceased, and while maybe we could, that's probably more trouble than it's worth. I'd recommend immediate dilution in water in the event of exposure. Lots of water. The best way to tell would be the smell, like we smelled before." He sniffs to see if Skipper smells the same. "The plants in question are called Demon Flowers, but I don't know how they're supposed to look. I'm sure Ms. Flowers does, though."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

If Sergeant Dhillon is annoyed by Izzy breaking rank, she doesn't show it.

"Already on it," she whispers, covering the mouthpiece of her radio. "I've warned Forensics not to touch the substance and that it's a Falcon case."

After finishing her call to Forensics, she contacts a Case Progression Officer, actioning someone to look into Will Grimes and also find Barry Flowers' last known address.

"There, sorted - sounds pretty simple so they shouldn't take long."

Des finds nothing about Demon Flowers, save some weird Japanese anime reference. Of Will Grimes, you discover nothing that you don't already know - he's a a middle-aged motoring journalist and TV presenter. Known for his forthright and often controversial opinions and a darling of the right-of-centre press. He most recently hit the headlines after allegedly assaulting a runner while filming his latest TV show - a television version of his 'Drive with Grimes' podcast.

On the plus side, you do find Barry Flowers' amateurish website – a single garish page festooned with bright flowers. It declares “Gardener to the stars! All types of gardening work undertaken.” Under this is a gap, indicating a broken link to a removed photo. There is a mobile phone number and an address (a flat on Lime Grove, Guildford).

"Peace Lilies are over there by the portaloos!" Maud Flowers exclaims, pointing to a corner of the yard as she bustles onwards.

Ignoring your conversations, arguments and such, she pulls at the door to the greenhouse marked with a 'danger' sign, tutting at Skipper as the padlock bracket clatters to the ground.

"Silly bugger - could've lost your hand," she exclaims. "Lucky for you the Gluevines have been fed today."

She wrenches it open, causing you to reel as a heady mix of various strong vestigias spills out of the gap alongside a burst of heat and humidity.

Ambling quickly inside, she disappears into the lush greenery within before returning, slightly damper, carrying a... something shimmery... in a flowerpot.
  Please make a POW roll.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

POW (70%) 1d100

Edit: Realised I’d put CON instead of POW so changed that now. The value’s the same so I still passed.

Des’ nose wrinkled and she stared at the pot suspiciously. ”Wot’s dat, den?” she asked with a frown.
Last edited by Philulhu on Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 698 times

"Thank you, ma'am," he says, "I shall choose a few before departing." Leo knows that if he successfully gets a plant back home, both Molly and his father are both green thumbs and can take it from there. He continues to pursue, but slips the debit card in a pocket.

Leo knows better than to go charging into the greenhouse so he keeps a cautious distance. just in case a trivet of triffids charge through. Triffids are sneaky buggers and should never be underestimated.

POW 80/40: 1d100

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Glue vines? Any relation to triffids?"

1d%p55%

Failed impressively.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Oh, smeg..." says Jordan as he nears the greenhouse.

POW roll (30% stat) approaching the greenhouse:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Mops brow...  
1d100
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy gives an apologetic look to Sgt. Dhillon as she pegs it out the back door. She doesn't mean to be stepping on anyone's toes - the other woman outranking her anyway, and this being outside the nominal jurisdiction of the Met - but it is a Falcon case after all, and since Izzy is the only Falcon-qualified officer not currently obsessing over a potted plant (well, a non-lethal plant at least)...

At the mention of Gluevines, her first thought is of the annual Christmas fair at Hyde Park - the Winter Wonderland - and gluhwein, spicy mulled wine served hot and steaming. She shakes her head quickly, before focusing on the vestigia bursting forth from the open greenhouse door...

POW roll: 60%  
1d100
  Oof - spending 7 Luck if permitted, to make that a success...  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sure, spending Luck is actively encouraged!  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Whatever Maud is carrying in the pot, it's impossible to focus on - shifting and shimmering in and out of your vision.

Growing in Maud's pot is a small flowering plant. It shimmers and shifts, but with effort you are able to focus on it. It has silvery-green leaves, a transparent stalk and a flower with gossamer, rainbow-sheen petals.

"This is a Demon Flower - the juice in that container came from one of these. We had a few growing in the greenhouse but this is the only one left. That stupid bugger of a grandson must've taken the rest when he moved out. What I don't understand is why?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Wow! I've never aeen anything soo.unique." gushes Eli.
Last edited by BoyBlunder78 on Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”’E musta tekken it for a reason,” said Des ”Wot can u use it for?”

”U kno wot dey say ‘bout men an’ cars,” she said after a moment’s further thought. ”D’ya tink da bloke off the telly had a tiny cock an’ needed sum ‘elp? ’E looks de type…”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I can't really see what it looks like," says Jordan, "but its sap is used to make that liquid we found. That's my guess as to why he wanted them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Anchor spreadable," Skipper mutters. Acting on instinct, he pulls his camera out and takes a few photos of the demon plant. Or at least the pot it is supposed to be in. "That could make for a very weird photo."

"So naughty Vulcan grandson nicks a few of these plants. Which he uses to make Bilbo Baggins juice. Then what? He sells to someone to pass onto would-be invisible perverts and ghost car enthusiasts?"

"So, I'm guessing we go find grandson, find out who the next link in the chain is? And bag any extra jugs of juice we find in grandson's backroom stores."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Miss Flowers,is there an antidote or neutralising agent for the sap?" Asks Eli.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Yeah, I think that's our next stop," says Jordan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 582 times

Once Leo is certain there are no attack triffids on duty, he proceeds into the greenhouse. While he can't focus on the plant, it's clear there is something supernatural about it. While he knows better than to trust any members of the demi-monde, he is beginning to feel at ease around Maud.

He looks around the greenhouse and entrance to see if there are any CCTV cameras, mostly out of habit.

"Yes, I agree. We need to know what he's up to before his plan proceeds any further. But not before I make a few purchases from Miss Flowers," he says as he eyes the greenhouse for more mundane affairs.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Inside the greenhouse it is hot and humid, with moisture dripping off the glass walls. But this isn't the first thing that attracts your attention...

Nor is it the profusion of lush, brightly coloured plants, crowded and crammed together either side of a sandy path that snakes through the vegetation...

No, it is the relentless blast of vestigia that assaults your senses - a bewildering cacophony of sounds, smells, impressions and visions that swirl around you, sending you reeling!

Please consider yourself as Impaired (you fumble on a 90+) and make a DEX check.  

Maud cackles at Des' remark.

"Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me!"

Her broad smile suddenly drops as she glares as Skipper.

"Barry would never sell Demon Flower sap - even he isn't that stupid!"

She ponders Eli's question for a second.

"Antidote? Not that I know of - the invisibility wears off after a while, or so I gather - there's no recovering from a melted brain though. I suppose the nearest thing to an antidote would be Tomtemoss - eating a handful of that makes you see things that don't want to be seen. Very hard to find mind - the only place I know where it grows 'round here is near the dead sailor in the Devil’s Punch Bowl."

She turns to the greenhouse, just as Leo walks in.

"There's a little bit growing in there too - red stuff. Your friend will find it... if he comes out..."

At around this point, the Case progression Unit calls back, confirming Maud's assertation that Barry does indeed live a Lime Grove, Guildford. They're having difficulty getting any information about Will Grimes, other than he lives in a farmhouse somewhere around the nearby village of Hindhead.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Are we done ‘ere, then?” asked Des, suddenly bored with garden centre. ”We gunna see this Smallwood bloke off the telly?”

Return to “Rivers of London”