Statement 3: Flowers Fields

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Statement 3: Flowers Fields

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"This Tomtemoss must be the moss we found in the stomach of the deceased," says Jordan. "Looks like it didn't work for him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper watches Leo's progress with - at best - mild interest. "Watch out for the alleged glue vines then."

"Oi, Voodoo Child, I assume we're doing Barry first, but I might even be able to narrow down Grimes' home address for afters. That said, as I don't want to melt my phone, let me know when it's safe to turn it on."

He looks over at Jordan and Granny Legolas. "What's the thinking with the red antidote stuff? Chichester wouldn't want to take it while he's invisible and perving at naked gym junkies, would he? Wouldn't it make the spray-on magic potion stop working? Or does it do something different?"
Last edited by Snapper on Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“You misunderstand me,” replies Maud. “The Tomtemoss isn’t an antidote, it just allows you to see invisible things. If this fella had eaten some, it was so he could see himself - or something else that’s invisible.”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"See himself....or something..or someone else? Could be some new version of hide and seek?" Eli mentions in jest....partly.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des’ frowned. The old woman wasn’t making a lot of sense… … ”Wot else in invisible?” she asked. Then it occurred to her. ”U talkin’ ‘bout ghosts?” she said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Or racing invisible cars," says Jordan. "I was wondering how they avoided collisions. The moss could explain that. It would let them see each other."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des gave Jordan a perplexed look. ”Invisible cars?” she said suspiciously. ”Wot u on about?”
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 702 times

Suddenly, Leo is mesmerised as the fountain of colors explodes toward him. "My God..." he croaks weakly as he stares into the greenhouse. "It's full of stars..."

DEX 40/20: 1d100

Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

"Barry's the priority. If he's handling this stuff, then it's vital we get to him and make sure any and all supplies are confiscated."

Izzy isn't sure if there's any precedence for confiscating something like the Demon Flower or its sap, but she's sure she can find something in the regs to chuck at Barry as needed. After all, she's certain that Peter and Nightingale have had to take contraband from the Goblin Markets on previous occasions.

She thinks about the theory from Skipper, and agrees that it holds a lot of weight. "Good thinking, Skip. So if Barry is the supplier, then it looks like the local petrolheads are the buyers. Karl must have figured he could use it for something else as well, and paid the price."

She's still not entirely convinced about the ghost cars theory, but only because they haven't found clear evidence of it yet - basing the idea on Sgt. Dhillon's mentions of the local apparent crank calls to the station. But if it is the right lead after all...

"I wasn't planning to cast anything now unless really needed, so you're probably good to switch your phone back on," Izzy tells Skipper, and the others too if they wish to use their mobiles. "Might want to turn it off again before we arrive though, just in case."

As she speaks, she hears Leo making a 2001 reference. "Damn it Leo, what the hell are you doing in there? It's dangerous!"

Come on mate, you've got a full decade on me, why am I the older sister here?
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper grunts acknowledgement. He stashes the old camera and pulls out his phone. Walking well away from the "danger" greenhouse, he turns it on and starts stalking Will 'Grimesy' Grimes, checking everything from social media posted home photos to council rates and taxes for clues to a home address.

1d00250020H0020600025

Skipper will spend 1 point of Luck to make that a Regular Success.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"The sergeant got reports of ghost cars," says Jordan. "People heard cars racing at night, but they didn't see anything. I think they were spraying this stuff on their cars so they could race in the streets without being seen, and they used the moss to see each other. That would mean that the dead bloke wasn't the only one with access to it. We're going to need to find out who else got it from Barry."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

So we have..possibly..an underground invisible street racing club?! I wonder if all these random acts of violence are connected? Drivers possibly?" Eli mentions.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

It clicked for Des. Living on the streets, she’d seen enough illegal street races to know what Jordan was talking about. It usually didn’t take long for the Old Bill to turn up, so being invisible would give the drivers a real advantage.

”So where’s dat bloke off de telly come in? He runnin’ de races?” she asked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Probably, or at least he most likely races in them," says Jordan. "He may be getting the stuff from Barry and then providing it to the other drivers."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Jordan maybe right, judging by his TV persona I don't think his ego would let him not be part of that kind of 'scene' and to be the 'Grand Master' of it all would suit him right to the ground." nods Eli as he strokes his beard.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Stunned by the cacophony of different vestigias, you stagger backwards and bump into a tall sunflower with electric blue petals. It rocks slightly on impact before emitting an arc of static. CRACK! The arc earths itself painfully in your body, causing a nasty burn on your arm.

Please take 1 Damage and mark yourself as Hurt.

While you debate your next course of action, you hear a fizzling sound emanating from the greenhouse Leo wandered into, followed by a loud CRACK!
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Pausing long enough to lob his phone into the softest looking nearby pot-plant, Skipper starts sprinting towards the danger-greenhouse.

"Oi! Leo! Was that a triffid?! Are you dead?!"

Despite (or because of) his genuine hope that it was a lethally poisonous, aggressive, carnivorous triffid, Skipper will stop at the door of the greenhouse and not immediately enter.  
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 625 times

For the second time today, Leo gets physically blasted backwards by vestigia. The first time, he fell through a clothing rack. This time, he backs through a shelf holding a tall flower, knocking it over and landing on top of it, getting a nasty shock in the process. He was getting beaten up worse by vestigia than he ever did working security for a match. He scrabbles backward on the concrete floor toward the exit, overwhelmed by the rush of colors, closing his eyes in an attempt to regain control of his racing mind.

"It's full of magical flowers," he rasped to Skipper from the ground, eyes still closed. "FULL..."

I was already hurt with 1 damage from earlier from visit to the Leisure Centre, so did that go away at the end of that scene? Or am I bloodied now?

Last edited by SaintMeerkat on Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan hurries to the greenhouse, looking inside first when he gets there rather than rush into trouble.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Oops, I forgot about that! Your first knock has healed, so you’re just Hurt.

Return to “Rivers of London”