Statement 2b - Surrey Police Headquarters

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Re: Statement 2b - Surrey Police Headquarters

Post by Trivun »

"Flowers, sunlight, tropical fauna..." Izzy murmured to herself as she leant closer in. "As expected. Sarge, do we know if Mr. Chichester had been abroad recently? And if not, we need to put that on the system as an action."

She also makes another quick update to her notes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I can sense it too this time," says Jordan. "The phone's a brick, unfortunately."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper snorts, quietly amused by Izzy's handbag. "Exactly what I'm saying."

He listens to the sandy-sounding phone, a bit disappointed. "So this is the side effect we've been warned about."

He looks over at Sgt Dhillon. "Ah Sergeant, has old mate's Porsche been located then?" He rattles the key fob in the plastic bag, trying to decide if it is as dead as the phone. "And do these things still have a real key hidden inside them?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

"You're asking the wrong girl," Dhillon replies. "I'm not really into cars."

"No exotic holidays that we know of recently - from what we can tell he spent most of his considerable monthly wage on cars, motoring events and the like. We haven't located his Porsche yet, but if it's not parked up at the leisure centre then it'll be parked at his home address."

"I don't know what's happened to his phone - perhaps it broke when he collapsed?"

If you can't think of anything else to do with the phone, perhaps an Observation test will help?  
The phone may be 'sanded', but looking it over, you notice a card in the SD slot.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%50%

Regular success (just).  

Skipper points out the SD card and looks at Izzy. "Would that have got fried when the rest of the phone got turned into a brick?"

He peers suspiciously at the spray too. "And is there a Falcon version of being roofie-ed? Like one spray and you can't say no, like an evil love potion?" A brief flash of extreme revulsion crosses Skipper's features.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Worth a try," says Jordan. He pops out the SD card and swaps it out with the one in his own phone to see if it will work.

Observation roll (70% skill) about the phone:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"Only one way to find out," Izzy replies, regarding the SD card, and she watches to see what happens when Jordan inserts it into his own phone.

As they wait, she's pleased to see that Skipper is just as disgusted as she is at the idea of love potions and controlling people in such a way. She'd always hated that part of Harry Potter. Even aside from being a proud LGBT woman herself.

"Not that I've ever seen or heard of myself, but there is something called the glamour." Izzy gives Skipper and Jordan a very brief rundown of the glamour, as used by various Fae and river goddesses to charm the minds of others, in the best way a geeky girl like her can - through talking about Dungeons and Dragons and the 'Charm Person' spell.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper listens to Izzy's explanation and shrugs, unperturbed. "Sounds like any number of online computer games I've played. I am getting the feeling our man had some women issues, though."

He chinks the keys through their bag while they are waiting to see what the SD card might show. "Guess we should go take a look at Chichester's gaff and lock-up? I assume your colleagues have got the addresses."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I've played with my son," says Jordan. "I play a cleric, of course. Elves are mostly immune to Charm Person, I remember."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Perhaps thankfully, Sgt. Dhillon is occupied with a message coming through her radio to take much notice of your conversation.

Meanwhile, accessing the SD card brings up a number of photos, obviously taken on Chichester's phone. They are of woman in various states of undress, clearly taken in the female changing area of the leisure centre. The last couple of photo files are corrupted, but from what you can tell, they are clearly on the same theme.

As you study your findings, Dhillon concludes her call.

"Alright, but if she isn't pressing charges there's not a lot we can do," she huffs. "Let him know we'll be keeping an eye on him. Over and out."

She walks over, peering to take a look at Jordan's phone.

"What have you found? Did I here you mention Chichester's gaff? I've got the address if you want to go there."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I found out what Chichester was doing in the ladies' changing room," says Jordan, popping out the SD card and handing it back. "The pervert was accessing a hidden camera there. The pictures are on that card. We would like the address, please. I'll call the group at the leisure center. If they haven't found the camera yet, they need to locate it." He replaces his own card in his phone and calls Leo.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Oh dear, taking photos of a sexual nature without consent. The late Chichester is another one determined to make us embarrassed to be members of the male gender."

After a brief moment's thought, Skipper slots the SD card into his indefatigable-looking tablet and calls up the photos. "Having said that, you will be surprised to hear I have some interest in photography. There is some useful info to be gained here."

Skipper will check a few (less explicit) photos' meta-data to confirm if they were indeed taken with Chichester's phone or some other species of camera. "Photo files contain lots of useful detail on what camera or phone took the photo, when, that sort of thing."

"The more bigger question is where was he, or at least where was the camera, when these photos were taken?" Skipper casts a professional eye over the photos, trying to decide if they were from some hidden position or smack bang in the middle of the crowd.

Skipper will attempt a few skill rolls, in case they're needed.  
1d%pHpH60%

OOC:   Regular success.  

1d%p60%

OOC:   Fail.  

Happy to spend 8 Luck to make the Photography a Hard Success, if that helps.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Seeing the photos on the SD card, Izzy is filled with absolute rage directed towards the man whose death they are investigating. She's no stranger to pictures of scantily clad women - her own teen years and sexual awakening, and of course, more than a few candid pics taken with Alice, saved on her own personal phone... but all with consent, and certainly not filmed by a seedy pervert in the changing rooms of a public leisure centre. For a brief moment, she wonders why they're even bothering to investigate the man's death. Surely his erasure from the world is to the benefit of all...

But no. Izzy knows that she doesn't have to like the corpse to solve the mystery of how he died. It's her duty, one she signed up for the moment she stepped through Hendon's doors. She swallows her anger, and forces herself to focus on the case at hand, as she rapidly updates the scribbles in her notebook.

As Izzy tries to think about the case, she notes Sgt. Dhillon's comments. "Sorry, don't mean to listen in, but you said something about pressing charges? If that's an unrelated case then just ignore me, but if it's anything to do with Mr. Chichester... then we probably need to know what's happened."

She doesn't want to eavesdrop, but one of the things she was taught as a trainee was to always keep a sharp eye, and a sharp ear, out for any information that might be relevant.

To Skipper, she's actually quite impressed at the consideration of where the photos were taken. Although she's not certain if there's a spell to turn someone invisible (one to ask Peter or Nightingale later), it's not unheard of in pop culture for someone to use such power to spy on people without being seen.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Jordan - Dhillon wrinkles her nose in distaste when you describe the photos. Leaving her to speak to Izzy, you enter Leo's number and wait for him to answer.

Skipper - While lacking the ability to make any sense of the photos' metadata, your expert eye is able to ascertain that the photos were taken on a phone and not, say, a hidden spy camera, sometime during the evening by the look of the lighting. Additionally, judging by the different camera angles, the photographer moved around.

You also notice that some of the photos contain mirrors, but in each one there is no reflection of the photographer.

Izzy - Dhillon mulls over your question, nodding at the wisdom of it.

"Could be connected I suppose. A falling-out over a parking space in Tesco's car park. Some guy in a sportscar vying with an old dear in a Morris Traveller. It seems he lost his temper and a passer-by called it in. Looks like he'd calmed down and apologised by the time an officer responded. As you heard - no charges pressed and everything settled amicably."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Yes, that may be relevant," says Jordan. "What were the names of the drivers?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Jordan - Dhillon checks her notepad. "Um, Nick Lucarotti and Bernadette Stevens."

Before you can respond, Leo answers your call.

"Hey, mate. We found some non-fried video of him entering the car park and dressing room that may or may not be of use. All of the electronics are up and running, so the "event" may have been over the long term rather than a single powerful event. Making any progress on your end?" he says, before you can get a word in.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Hey, Leo," says Jordan. "Chichester's phone was bricked, but we were able to salvage the SD card and found out what he was doing in the ladies' changing area. The creep was secretly taking pictures of them as they were changing. Skipper determined that they were taken with a phone, not a camera. It might not have been this phone, so see if you can find another one hidden there. The cause of death was cauliflower brain, all right. We also found out other details. He was known to the police already. He got into a scuffle with Shaun Rushgrove when he tried to hit on the man's girlfriend, Holly Tremlett. No charges were filed, but he was cautioned."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper will definitely spend the 8 Luck!  

Skipper studies the photos for a few moments, doing some mental angles and positions. He starts to frown. "Umm, OK, Izzy and Jordan, have a look at this." He points out the mirrors and lack of reflection.

"Ah, forget evil roofie love potions. Is it even possible? Did he make himself invisible? That would explain how he was able to walk around taking photos with a phone right in the middle of his victims."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

On Jordan’s phone, Leo’s response is:

"Holy...Okay, we will definitely search all the changing areas for any lingering devices of that nature."

"One more thing, the video shows Chichester go in the disabled changing area. Then the doors to the other rooms open and close without anyone visible doing so. I will try to get a copy to bring back to The Folly to share."

"Anything else?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper hears Leo, looks at Jordan and points at the photos, raising his eyebrows.

Return to “Rivers of London”