Statement 2a - Godalming Leisure Centre

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 2a - Godalming Leisure Centre

Post by jp1885 »

Godalming leisure centre.jpg

A short drive down the A3 London to Portsmouth road takes you to the town of Godalming - more specifically the relatively modern edifice of Godalming Leisure Centre.

The place is quiet - probably due to most of it being closed due to an active police investigation. However, after pulling into the car park, staff can still be seen through the large entrance doors milling around the foyer.

Affixed to the aforementioned doors is a large sign, apologising for the inconvenience caused by a police incident.

Whatchya gonna do?  
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Re: Statement 2a - Godalming Leisure Centre

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 953 times
After a quick lunch, Leo uses the pool car to drive himself, Des, and Eli over to the Leisure Centre. As they pull into the car park, Leo looks around at the utility poles for any cameras that might have been far enough away to avoid being sanded.

As they ease into a parking spot, Leo looks over at the others and shrugs guiltily. "Well, it wasn't me this time. I promise."

The motor coughs a few times before dying. He looks over at Eli as he unbuckles. "I was thinking we could attempt to recover any CCTV footage sufficiently far enough away from the event to survived sanding. Maybe show pictures of Mr. Chichester to the staff and see if they recognize him or noticed anything unusual the night before. If we get lucky, maybe they can tell us something helpful."

"Does that work? I am open to suggestions."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli nods in agreement. " From those initial enquiries we can see what develops. Hopefully with any CCTV from here and surrounding areas we can hopefully plot a route of the victim. Do we know if he had a car?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des looked at Leo. Whether the victim had a car sounded like exactly the sort of thing a policeman ought to know…
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 920 times

"Yes, great question. I hadn't thought about that one. We definitely need to find that out."

OOC:   Is there any chance that we can say Eli brought up the victim's vehicle at lunch, allowing me to get out my laptop then? Flashback style?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Seeing the look of confusion appearing on Leo’s face, Des sighed heavily. ”Jus’ ring da office, man,” she said.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" If he has, then most of these leisure centres make you sign your car in so you dont get a fine for overstaying your welcome, would help is establish a timeline." Eli mentions.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Oh go on then...  
As Eli well knows, Karl Chichester's records say he drives (drove) a five year-old black Porsche Boxster.

Looking around the car park, there appears to be plenty of CCTV cameras.

While you're mooching about, a member of staff watches you through the entrance doors, frowning quizzically.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Go show ‘im your badge,” Des nudged Leo, pointing at the person watching them from the leisure centre.

Des also had a badge, but (a) very few people took it at face value because of her age, and (b) she couldn’t be arsed… …
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 896 times
"Yeah,I better before the poor lady falls through the glass."

Leo straightened his tie, checked his teeth in the rear view mirror for any signs of kebab, ran his fingers through his hair a couple of times, popped a mint into his mouth, and then clambered out of the car. He pulled the cuffs on his suit coat cuffs, and as he headed for the door, he pulled his warrant card out of his inner jacket pocket in a smooth, practiced motion, smiling warmly.

When he reached the door he held it up, picture side out, so that she could see it. "DC Leo Dansby. These are my associates. Do you mind if we have a word?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des rolled her eyes at Leo’s elaborate preparations. ”You’re not on de pull!” she grumbled. ”You’re gunna ask her some question, not sleep wit her!”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli chuckled to.himself. "He is rather keen to please isn't he?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eyes widening at the sight of the warrant card, the staff member, who's name badge identifies her as 'Stacey', hurriedly opens the door.

"Oh! Are you going to let us re-open now?" she asks. "Only it's supposed to be aqua-aerobics in an hour."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”You tell us who killed dat man, an’ you can open up,” drawled Des sarcastically, strolling up and casually waving her own warrant card. ”Udderwise, I don’ tink you’ll be doin’ no aerobic!”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Brandishing his own warranty card Eli[/b responds "Sorry that the death of one of your patrons in your establishment is proving to be a hindrance. May i suggest you let us in and give us access to everything we ask then you maybe be able to open for your 'Aquafit':]
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Leo refrained from responding to either of the jibes, but she was clearly not his type. Wrong set of chromosomes.

He was able to maintain his professional demeanor. "I apologize for the inconvenience, Stacey" Leo said as he wrote her name neatly in his PNB. "I promise we'll do our best to have you open again soon."

"We could use your help with a couple of items. First, we would like to know if the victim, Mr. Chichester, was a regular." Leo pulled up a picture of the fellow from his driving license. "Maybe we could have a look around the dressing room? Show his picture to the employees? See if they knew him? See if anyone noticed anything strange the night before?"

"Also, we are interested in any CCTV footage that might have the victim, on it. Were there any cameras that might have caught him entering the centre or the dressing room overnight?"

"We'll be out of your hair in no time."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Also, do you keep a record of all the your patrons cars? If so could it be possible for a printout of all the licence plates from the day the body was found?" Asks Eli smiling.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Whoever has the lowest Luck out of the three of you, please make a Luck roll.  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

OOC:   My luck is 60%  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper