Statement 3: Why Was He Born So Beautiful?

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Statement 3: Why Was He Born So Beautiful?

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Sorry," says Jordan, shaking his head. "I'm not the best at this."

POW roll (30% stat) after bowling:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 524 times
One Leo realizes the rest of the locally based Nutters are waiting in the bar, he joins them, but not before gesturing to the others to let them know where we went.

POW 80/40: 1d100

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Des, Izzy, Jordan and Leo

Izzy it's your turn next. Without even trying, you bowl three perfect strikes! Another 27 chalked up on the board!

"Why was he born so beautiful?
Why was he born at all?
He’s no bloody use to anyone,
He’s no bloody use at all!"

You all sing in unison, dancing joyously.

Jordan, you hug Neil while Des, you dance arm-in-arm with Butterfield. Izzy, you punch the air and high-five a thin man in a golfing jumper.

Leo, it's your turn. You race down the skittle alley, high-fiving other Nutters as you go. Your hand reaches automatically for the first ball. You blink...

"YES!"

Suddenly, you find yourself standing there, all three balls bowled. Another perfect 27 chalked up next to your name.

"Why was he born so beautiful?
Why was he born at all?
He’s no bloody use to anyone,
He’s no bloody use at all!"

You all have two choices: go with the flow, or fight the influence with another POW roll.  
SKipper - you stare dumfounded at your colleagues: acting like an audience at some second-rate Jerry Springer show. Even without magical training, you feel the vestigia influencing them. What did Nightingale call it? Glamour?

One of the Nutters, an elderly man jumping around like a teenager, bumps into you. He stops, eyes narrowing.

"Why aren't you celebrating?" he hisses. "You're spoiling it! Don't you dare spoil it!"

Other heads turn in your direction...
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Leo shouts with excitement as he watches the pins go down. He's never felt so moved by just watching gravity react to objects. However, a tiny part of him remembers that he's there for work, so he tries again to control the feelings.

POW 80/40: 1d100

Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy has no idea why she's feeling so happy. She bowls regularly, she knows she's good, but even when she's had three strikes in a row before (a rare occurrence in itself), she can't recall ever acting in such a manner. And the last time she felt this giddy was on her first date with Alice. Well, the second one too. And the third, and the fourth... you get the picture.

Still, she can't help but feel something on the edge of her mind, pulling away. In the corner of her eye, she spots Skipper being chastised by one of the other players. She tries to focus, tries to remember why they came here to begin with...

POW: 60%  
1d100

Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. She turns back to the game, and cheers and whoops and dances with the rest of them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan knows that this is wrong. He wants to win, but he wants to so on his own efforts. This magical effect smacks of cheating. Still, he knows it wasn't helping him. Otherwise he wouldn't have missed the third time. He got an 18, not a 27 like the others, and the 18 was all him. And so he cheers and gladhands with the rest of them.

POW roll (30% stat) to resist:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper hastily shoves the camera into his backpack. He grins at the (apparently aptly named) Nutter. "Sorry old son, I was concentrating on taking photos, you know, capturing the Nutters' win for all time. Sometimes I get so caught up with my camera, forget to cheer. But I don't want to bring you all down, I'll just get out of the way now."

While hopefully keeping the wolves at bay with this ongoing chatter / dribble, Skipper hastily heads out the door. "Just grabbing another pint before I come back to cheer you all on."

As he heads for the door to get out, Skipper calls out, "Oi!! Team Sweeney Folly!! Get your game faces on!!"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As Skipper heads towards the door, the Nutters cry in alarm.

"No! Where are you going? You're up next!" they cry.

Or do they? Their mouths seem to be shaping the words, but the actual voice seems to be coming from... well, everywhere.

Suddenly, Butterfield is at the door, barring Skipper's way. A big man, yes, but with decades of police experience he knows how to move quickly.

Leo also senses something is wrong. The Nutters near him are moving strangely, turning toward him as if spun slowly around by an unseen hand. Neil the barman snarls as he picks up a bar stool...

"You're spoiling it!"

Des, Izzy and Jordan also feel the rage. They've waited so long for this moment of glory - their life ambition fulfilled! How dare these outsiders, who showed so much promise earlier, now ruin everything?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

POW (70%) 1d100

Des caught herself. ’Dancin’? You never fukin’ dance! Wat dafuq is goin’ on?!’ She pinched herself and looked around - Izzy, Leo and Jordan were prancing around, grinning like fools. Skipper looked clear-eyed and was trying to get out of there but Butterfield was in his way. A voice was shouting in her head about it being Skipper’s turn to play but he, like her, just wanted out so she hurried over to join him…
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper holds up a placating hand to Butterfield, using the other one to drop his backpack against a wall out of the way. "Easy, Mike, I'm just putting my backpack down. Not going anywhere."

"Actually, you know, my name's not on the board. So I'm not meant to be bowling."

Can Skipper see a fire alarm anywhere? Something red with a "break glass" sign? Or ceiling sensors?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"But you're the best player, mate!" protests Jordan. "You've got to bowl!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Leo manages to come to his senses just as Neil the barman grabs the stool.

"Dank ferrik..." Leo growls. His mind races as he starts the forma for a Fireball, knowing if he casts it, he is probably done with Nightingale and magic forever. Then suddenly, a plan that might not result in Warrant Card loss comes to mind, and he screams "LOOK OUT!" while pointing at the opposite corner of the room.

Then he aims an impello at the biggest, brightest light fixture in the room.

While I know that there isn't a Boost effect listed for the spell, I would like to request to spend an extra magic point to strike a second light source.

Magic (70/35): 1d100

I would like to spend one point of Luck to make this a success.

Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"Stop ruining it! Just play the game!"

Izzy can't believe that the others, her friends and colleagues, would stoop so low as to break the enjoyment for them all. Still, there's that niggling feeling at the back of her mind. This isn't right.

It gets pushed down by the euphoria of her three strikes.

OOC:   Am I able to attempt another POW roll on seeing Neil pick up the stool and sensing Leo about to cast a spell? I'd imagine the signare of Leo's Impello would be a bit of a beacon to someone magically trained like Izzy.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Will do a proper update later, but yes, you can all do another POW roll if you wish and Leo, yes to your Magic suggestion :)  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Any fire alarms to be seen? Pull handle / break glass etc.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Good question. Make a luck check. If you pass, then yes :)  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

The feeling at the back of her mind just won't go away...

POW: 60%  
1d100
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%L66%

Hard success.  

Skipper punches the break-glass fire alarm!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan finally snaps out of it.

POW roll (30% stat) to resist:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 416 times
At the exact moment that Skipper slaps the fire alarm, two perfectly aimed Impellos strike the lights above the alley. Please, in the name of Beverly let the globes be plastic.

Leo will not waste any time getting clear, but he will attempt to grab a few stragglers before updating Team Folly. Wp

Return to “Rivers of London”