Statement 3: Why Was He Born So Beautiful?

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Statement 3: Why Was He Born So Beautiful?

Post by jp1885 »

Sounds like another Luck check to me :D  
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

OOC:   Group Luck rolls use the Investigator with the current lowest Luck. Mine is currently 56.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

I’m feeling generous, so anyone who thinks they might have access to such a phone can roll Luck.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan carries Neil outside and sets him down somewhere safe. There doesn't seem to be much he can do for his injuries, but he does always carry spare mobile phone batteries, and he was shown after the last escapade how to rig a phone to bypass the problems caused by nearby magic use, so he tries to call the fire brigade.

My pregenerated character sheet actually said I have spare phone batteries, so maybe I'd have something of the sort.

Luck roll (60% stat) to have a usable phone:
d%
Medicine roll (70% skill) to treat Neil's injuries:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Building fire alarms are generally hard-wired to the local fire station, at least here in Australia but I assume everywhere, even the green, damp, and non-flammable UK.  

Skipper looks at Leo in exasperation (through the smoke). "Goyle, Harry Potter 8, did you not watch?! Just because you can play with fire doesn't mean you always should!"

Muttering about pyromaniacs, he grabs his backpack and heads for the door, desperately looking for a fire extinguisher. "Anyone see a fire extinguisher?!"

If Skipper can't see an extinguisher near the skittle alley's exit, he'll bolt for the pub, figuring there will be one there.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Skipper, please make an Observation roll, with a penalty due due to all of the stuff flying around.  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%40%

1d10pLd

Fail.  

Skipper charges towards the pub proper. "Dominic, I need a fire extinguisher!"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des pulled out her phone to ring 999 then realised that the magic had fried the battery.

”Shit!” she cursed.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

With the skittle alley rapidly filling with acrid smoke, it's difficult to see the glowing phantom swirling frantically around the walls, let alone a fire extinguisher. The longer you tarry, the harder it becomes to breathe.

If you're staying in the hall, please make a CON roll. Failure means you breathe in the smoke and take 1 Damage, marking yourself off as Hurt (unless you're already Hurt, in which case you become Bloodied).  
Clearly audible above the piercing alarm and the moaning of the revenant, there is a low groan from somewhere at the back of the building, followed by a loud crack as bits of falling wooden ceiling briefly light up the murk.

Those that have already exited the burning hall stumble out into the car park into a scene of pandemonium. Dazed and frightened Nutters mingle with the opposing team and other pub-goers, who have rushed out at the sound of the fire alarm. No-one seems to know just exactly what is going on, although several are on their phones, obviously having the same idea as you.

Indeed, when calling 999, the operator assures you that a the Fire Brigade has already been alerted and will be on the scene ASAP.

Jordan - as you carry out a barely-conscious Neil, Dominic bursts out of the befuddled throng.

"Neil!" he yells, rushing to his husband's side.

"Is he okay? What happened?" he asks, looking alternatively at Skipper and yourself.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

With panic and smoke in the air, Skipper aims for short and clear communication. He looks Dominic in the eyes. "Neil will live. Jordan's a doctor. There's a fire. Point me to a fire extinguisher."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Yes, he'll live," says Jordan. "He may have a concussion, but I hope not. I'm not sure what happened, but there was debris flying around after the fire broke out. I think he got hit by a stray skittles pin."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

OOC:   Does Izzy reach the urn following that DEX roll previously?  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Oops, missed that: apologies! Yes, you reach the urn (CON roll as above though please.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy bolts for the urn and manages to grab it, before it can be engulfed by flames. The entrance and exit door isn't far away, and she makes for it, but still takes in a lungful of smoke on the way...

CON 40%:  
1d100
  Izzy takes 1 point of damage and is Hurt.  
The smoke gets right in and she coughs and splutters as she makes her way back outside, bursting through the front door. Even so, Izzy's going to be damned if she lets this urn be destroyed, or damaged. And she'll be doubly damned if she lets Lee Snelgrove loose upon the world. She spots Dominic, and immediately calls to him, hardly caring for the moment that his main concern is for his husband.

"Dominic! Do you have a landline I can use, it's urgent!" She's not letting go of the urn for anyone or anything.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Leo decides to make a break for it, hoping that the brigade is on its way. He's done enough damage for a day, it seems.

"Gas leak?" he asks himself. "Yeah, gas leak..." he confirms as he exits.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Look after him, Dominic," says Jordan. "I have to see to my other patients." He goes over to Izzy and treats her for smoke inhalation.

Medicine roll (70% skill) to treat Izzy:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Izzy - you feel a strange pull as you exit the skittle alley with the urn, as if it is somehow anchored to the building. However it clearly isn't very strong, as with a little effort you are able to leave with the container securely held in your arms.

Jordan - giving her a once-over you are able to pronounce the police officer fit and well (if a little tinged with smoke).

Leo - talking about a gas leak sends a whitter of panic among the crowd in the car park, so you would be forgiven for not hearing the anguished keening from within the burning hall, which diminishes into silence.

Skipper - Dominic is too busy tending to his husband to pay much attention to you, and simply waves an arm vaguely towards the pub. As the skittle alley roof slowly caves in, he allows himself a look of satisfaction.

Des - you mourn the loss of your phone as only the young can (or am I being terribly stereotypical about the youth of today?) Muttering curses, you edge away from the throng of panicky middle-aged white people and as such are the first person to spot the flashing blue lights coming from the direction of Hereford.

There is little else to say: the Fire Brigade swiftly extinguish the fire, leaving a smouldering shell of a prefabricated building.

With confusion in the ascendant, no-one is really sure what exactly happened. When questioned, the Nutters are at a loss to explain it - perhaps they were so wrapped up in their game that they failed to notice the faulty light fitting? Those in the pub can shed little light either: all they saw were people rushing out of the hall when the fire alarm went off.

The game is naturally abandoned and, oddly, the Nutters never quite feel like playing a re-match. This means forfeiting the game and, eventually, their position at the top of the league. No-one really seems to mind.

Only the members of the Special Assessment Unit know the truth and you, of course, are sworn to secrecy.

The urn is swiftly taken into the Folly for analysis. No trace of Lee Snelgrove is detected and, once carefully opened, all that can be found is the fine ash of burnt wood and paper. Perhaps, Nightingale surmises, the power of the urn relied on being in a special place, in addition to containing special things?

The runes, though largely unintelligible, will be the subject of some study - once time allows of course, for there is always so much to do...

Thanks everyone for playing this scenario. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed running it. I'm going to be on vacation for a while, but am happy to open another case file for you in a few weeks' time for those who haven't had enough of me yet!  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper gets his old-school film developed and, as promised, sends his best church photos to the quirky-but-cute Rev.

1d%pHpH60%

Half-decent photos, probably not seduction-by-photography worthy.

The rest of the odds-and-sods collection of photos goes to the Folly again.
Spoiler:
Including a few from the skittle alley - but seconds before the messy climax (what the Art of Photography refers to as the "money shot").

Return to “Rivers of London”