Statement 2: Investigators, Investigate!

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Statement 2: Investigators, Investigate!

Post by Philulhu »

Des shrugged and looked at Leo. ”’Got any more questions?’ she asked him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan listens as he enjoys his tea and biscuit.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

While Dansen is being grilled, Skipper sits enjoying his tea. He feigns boredom and casually runs his eye about the room, looking mostly for framed photos, or anything else curious or interesting.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Lee made a few more notes in his PHB before slipping it back in his pocket.

"No," Leo said as he lifted the cup to get the last few drops. "I don't. Thank you so much, guv'nor, for allowing us into your home and for the tea. Your answers have been very helpful. Can I help you with the..." Leo gestured to the cups and teapot. "It's the least I can do..."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Des & Leo - Archie waves away Leo's offer of help.

"No, our Rita's coming 'round in an hour ; she'll sort this lot out."
  What do you two want to do next?  
Izzy, Jordan & Skipper

"Someone's nicking antiques?" responds Dansen. "Well if someone's bringing the league into disrepute, I sp'ose I'd better look into it. Which team do you suspect? What evidence do you have?"

Skipper - The room looks pretty much like a single man's living room, if somewhat tidier than the norm. A quick glance at the shelves shows a number of collectable figurines and there's a few sci-fi novels lying around, but from your seat, nothing jumps out as particularly unusual.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

"No, it's..." Izzy sighs. The last thing she wants to do is draw attention to Mike or the Nutters, especially as the case was down to his tipoff to begin with.

"Nobody in the local league has done anything wrong. Whoever stole the item, it happened down in Cornwall, nothing to do with here. The thieves were caught by the Devon and Cornwall Police, they're in custody already, we're just trying to trace the stolen property to return it to the rightful owners. It was sold on at least a few times over several years and now we think it's around here, whoever has it now likely has no idea it was ever stolen."

Izzy knows she's grasping at straws, but the aim is simple - find out if Dansen knows anything about the urn, and where it might be. Unless the others have anything they might wish to find out as well...
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

jp1885 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:44 pm
  What do you two want to do next?  
OOC:   Des is wondering how soon she can dump these weirdos and get back to London… ;)

Other than that, are there any more clues for us to follow up?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan says nothing, just listening and observing. This is Izzy's play, so it's up to her where to go with this.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper sips tea to hide a smile as Dansen battles Izzy to take charge of the questioning. He occupies himself reading the titles of the books in Dansen's bookshelf from their spines.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

OOC:   Has anyone looked at the scoresheets that Mike located? Leo and Des could take a look at that.  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

SaintMeerkat wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:15 am
OOC:   Has anyone looked at the scoresheets that Mike located? Leo and Des could take a look at that.  
OOC:   Go for it. Skipper was planning to run some computer analysis to see what that might show but in the meantime a smart member out the team might just be able to look at the sheets and make the same assessment with brain power alone.

Chances are, the same conclusion will be reached, namely that the Nutters do much better at home.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC:   Happy with that. Sounds like the sorta thing that Leo would be carrying with him (as a means to advance the plot 😉)  
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Once they are outside the OAP's place, Leo looks over at Des and grins. He opens up his bag and pulls out the stack of scoresheets. "Just in case..." he said, confidentially.

Once again, Leo gets a little green as everything in the setting gets all timey-wimey, but this time he is ready to seize advantage of it. To the rest of the world, Des and Leo are moving too quickly to be seen as the two of them head back to the vehicle and split up the sheets. Again, in timing that would have even impressed Gandalf, they arrive at the solution in precisely the amount of time that is required for the other party to finish up.

"You know..." he nodded knowingly in the instant the others arrived, "Have you noticed these guys seem to win a lot at home?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Izzy, Jordan and Skipper

If it's possible for Dansen to look even more confused, he does so now.

"Um. Sorry, but I fail to see how Cornish thieves who have already been caught relates to a Skittles league in Hereford! We buy our trophies from a shop in town - cheap metal trophies, not antiques."

He downs his tea.

"Sorry to be rude, but I really can't see what this has to do with me or the league. Now - I've got a lot to do, if you don't mind..."

Des and Leo

Studying the records, it's clear that the skittling fortunes of the Nennington Nutters really improved when they moved to the Nennington Arms pub. Their scores during away games at other fixtures are mixed at best, while they romp to stunning wins during home matches.

Everyone

As the afternoon wears on, the thin light wanes to herald the evening. The time has come to return to the pub - it's match time...
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Stepping outside, Izzy waits until the door is closed and the unfortunate Mr. Dansen is out of earshot before venting her frustrations to the others.

"Well, that was a complete waste of time, except for the tea and biscuits."

Truth be told, she's not sure that the fellow had any leads to offer to begin with - after all, they had only picked him out as a person of interest due to Mike passing on his details in the first place. Why they had ever thought he might have some useful information, Izzy had no idea.

Instead, she thinks about the information so far gathered, as the wider team regroups and heads back towards the pub. The key factor being that the urn, dangerous or not, must be somewhere in the vicinity of the pub. Whether on open display, or hidden somewhere in a back room, the urn is the key. They can look into the whys and whos after the urn itself has been secured...

Return to “Rivers of London”