Statement 2: Investigators, Investigate!

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 2: Investigators, Investigate!

Post by jp1885 »

As the clock strikes two, Neil politely ushers his lingering (or malingering) customers out of the pub.

“You’ll be back for the match tonight though, yeah?” he asks you, causing Dominic to roll his eyes.

Izzy - Postmartin has yet to reply to your message…

OOC:   So, what’s the plan?  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Statement 2: Investigators, Investigate!

Post by Snapper »

"Right, Des and I are off to the little church yard to see where old mate is pushing up daisies. Obviously, with you lot around, we want to get done before nightfall when zombies or vampires may no doubt appear." This last is directed at the two coppers.

"But anyone who wants to join us, more the merrier. As merry as it gets in the church yard, filled with graves. And remember, I don't have to outrun the vampire, I just have to outrun you."

Skipper had his little backpack over a shoulder and the sturdy old camera stashed therein.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des rolled her eyes at Skipper’s mention of the undead, but she did look him up and down, assessing whether she could actually outrun him if it did come down to it…
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

To Neil - "Sure thing, we wouldn't miss it for the world..." (with a playful wink at Dominic to show she's humouring the landlord...)

While she waits for a reply from Postmartin, Izzy considers their options. "You'll need someone who can sense vestigia there, so I'm happy to visit a cemetery."

She neglects to inform them of her (very) brief goth phase when she was a teenager, along with her love of The Addams Family. She also decides not to tell them that vampires are indeed a thing. Leave that for Frank Caffrey to brief them about...
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Sounds good, another target for the undead. You both may have youth on your side, but I will have great fear and panic to help me leg it."
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 636 times
"Okay, see you then," Leo said grinning. "Looking forward to it."

He joined the huddle and looked back and forth. "I guess that I could do some research on those runes that we found. Does that work for you all?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I could go with you," says Jordan. "I could do some historical research about what was going on here in 1982, maybe find out about Lee's death, what happened afterwards, and the skittles team at the time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   So Skipper, Des and Izzy are going to the local church? Please make me a group Luck roll.  
OOC:   Leo and Jordan, how are you going to conduct your research (Hereford Archive Centre?) and what exactly are you looking for?  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Luck roll: 54% (current)  
1d100
  Excellent, Hard success!  
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 614 times
OOC:   The Hereford Archive Centre works. I will be looking for anything local (offline) regarding the pottery and the runes (current runes and previously seen). If they have the internet, we can make a broader search. And my laptop is probably set up for HOLMES 2, so assuming I can get online, I could check it, as well.  

"You're welcome to join me, friend," Leo said. There was more than a hint of Pimm's on his breath. "Probably shouldn't drive..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I'll drive then, if it's too far to walk," says Jordan. "I only had the one Guinness."

I'll be focusing on periodicals from 1982, especially the local newspaper. I'll particularly be looking for Lee's obituary and any references to him, Archie Buttress, or the rest of the skittles team or the Nennington Arms in articles.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Jordan and Leo

The satnav takes you the most direct route from Nennington to Rotherwas, which means queuing through Hereford's start-stop traffic. Eventually, after crossing the River Wye that bisects the city, make your way to the southern suburbs and thence to Rotherwas Industrial Estate.

Heading down the Straight Mile road, you quickly locate the modern edifice of Hereford Archive and Record Centre.

It is a short walk from the centre's carpark to the large automatic doors and thence inside to a lofty reception area. A small reception booth sits on your left, manned by a young brunette woman. On your right, through another set of doors, lies a large research area, full of tables and shelves.

The young woman looks up at your arrival and smiles.

"Hello; can I help you?"

Des, Izzy and Skipper

Cars and lorries thunder past as you trudge the short distance along the pavement - the main Hereford to Bromyard road, alongside which the Nennington Arms lies, being a very busy thoroughfare. The mist and drizzle through which you drove has yet to abate and so it is some relief that you turn right down a narrow, and much quieter, lane.

The spire of St, Peter's church can be discerned, piercing the gloom, making the building easy to locate among the houses and cottages that surround it. A dark and damp lychgate leads to a small churchyard, from which worn stone angels and mossy Celtic crosses frown down at you among the smaller gravestones. Here and there, more modern stones lie in regimented rows, wilting flowers lying as tribute to those interned beneath.

Just ahead of you, a scraping of gravel betrays the presence of another. Through the mizzle, a dark figure emerges from behind a large stone tomb. Robes flowing as it moves, it heads towards the church, but then stops, as if sensing your presence...
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Guessing this is a member of the clergy, Skipper gives a cheery wave and calls out, "Afternoon!" He starts towards the robed figure.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Being a lot more familiar with the demi-monde, Izzy nevertheless is very unsure what to make of the strange figure in the robes, but she's a lot more wary. She's read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, after all. She surreptitiously takes the battery out of both her work phone and her personal phone, and her Airwave radio too for good measure, slipping the parts all back into her bag as quietly as she can. She gestures to the others to do the same, whether or not they notice her, without speaking up in case of trouble.

Izzy also focuses her mind to see if she can sense anything... off about this person.

Sense Vestigia: 60%  
1d100
  Hard success again!  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des spotted Izzy taking batteries from her phones and quickly did the same. No point in risking it getting burnt out.

She looked at the figure as he approached. Did he think it was Halloween?!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Thank you," says Jordan. "I'm looking for periodicals from 1982 about Nennington."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Just as they were going in, Leo popped a strong mint into his mouth. He looked at Jordon and grinned. "You know, just in case. I have decided that dating and magic don't mix, but it doesn't hurt to do a little advance planning." He was slightly disappointed to see the young lady, but he gave her the warmest smile he could muster. She could, after all, have a hot brother.

He followed Jordan's request up with a flash of his Warrant Card. "DC Leo Dansby, and Dr. Jordan Schneider. We will do our best to stay out of your hair, I promise. Do you have anything on local pottery history and practices? Oh, and does this look familiar?" Leo showed her a transcription of the rune from the jar.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Leo and Jordan

The face of the receptionist (her name badge identifies her as Lauren) changes from puzzlement to alarm as she sees the warrant card.

"Oh! Um, yeah - please help yourself!" she motions towards the doors to the main research area. "We've been digitising old newspapers for some time now - going back to at least the nineteenth century - you can search on one of the computer terminals. There will be someone at the research desk who'll be able to help if you need it."

She looks at the photo of the urn and shrugs.

"Um, I don't recognise it, but I'm no expert. There are plenty of art and ceramic groups in Hereford though... One sec..." she disappears under the counter for a moment, before returning with a thin leaflet. "Herefordshire Art Society," she announces.

OOC:   When you're ready, Research rolls are in order I think.  

Des, Izzy and Skipper

Izzy - You're getting the hang of this Vestigia malarkey! You sense a vague feeling of grief and peace, but nothing untoward. Vestigia is usually generated by strong emotions and violent acts - burials tend to take place after the event.

The figure turns at Skipper's greeting. What you first thought to be robes turns out to be a long black trench coat - a Goth perhaps? Out for an afternoon stroll in the graveyard? But why would a goth be wearing a white dog-collar?

"Oh, hello!" says a middle-aged white woman with a round face framed by grey curly hair crammed under a hood. "I thought I heard someone creeping around. I was just tidying some of the graves."

She marches forward briskly, thrusting out a hand.

"Maureen Shipley, vicar of this parish. You're not local are you? What brings you to our little church?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des looked at the woman mutely, then at Izzy. She had the badge so she could explain what they were doing there!
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper grins cheerfully, gently shaking the proffered hand. "Awright Rev?! I'm Skipper. I hope we weren't creeping, more walking carefully, being respectful like. This is a beautiful church, by the way."

"My friends and I are doing a bit of a hunt like on that tv show, 'Who do you think you are?' At the moment, we're trying to find the grave of a Lee Snelgrove, passed away in 1982. Buried here, we believe."
Last edited by Snapper on Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rivers of London”