Statement 1: A Trip to the Countryside

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Statement 1: A Trip to the Countryside

Post by jp1885 »

Jordan - Butterfield winces as you lob one of the heavy rubber balls, which bounces down the alley before hitting the low wooden barrier that separates the alley from the rest of the floor and rolling into the shallow pit at the end.

"Nonono, like this..." he says, taking the second ball out of the trough. "Bowl it, don't throw it - put some welly behind it, but not too much, else you'll lose accuracy." Bending down awkwardly, he takes a couple of steps forward and, arm low, bowls the ball.

[49] = 49
Butterfields STR 1d100: [ 49 ] = 49

[77] = 77
Butterfields DEX 1d100: [ 77 ] = 77

[4]/2 = 2
Skittles hit 1d10/2: [ 4 ] /2 = 2

He harrumphs, managing to knock down only two pins.

"Hmm, I told you we're crap..."

Muttering to himself, he ambles along the alley to clear the pins from the diamond area, tossing them into the pit behind.

"I'll be sticker. Go on Jordan - try again with the last ball."

Huffing a little, he steps away from the alley, looking at you, Skipper, as you open the fire door.

"Oh, that just leads out to the kiddies play area. You don't fancy a go on the slides do ya?"

Des - taking a good look around, you initially find little of interest. However, turning to face the entrance doors, you notice a framed black-and-white photo hanging above them. It looks like a group of people, but it's difficult to tell at floor level.

Leo and Izzy - filtering out Butterfield's skittles lecture, you open your senses...

The clatter of wooden skittles...
The taste of cheese and onion...
A snatch of a bawdy song - "Why was he born so beautiful?"...
A very faint smell of petrol or motor oil...

OOC:   The case file says how to play skittles in game rule terms thus:
Each player must make a DEX roll and a STR roll.
If they succeed in both, roll a d10 to determine how many skittles they have knocked over. A 9 means they have knocked down all 9 pins, while a 10 means an unlucky miss.
A Hard success in either roll means they knock down all 9 pins.
If they succeed in only one, roll a d10 as above and half the result.
If they fail both rolls, they fail to hit anything.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

"Why was he born so beautiful..." Izzy murmurs to herself, upon hearing the snatches of song. It sounds familiar, somehow...

"Mike, you never played rugby, did you?" She remembers hearing it at her dad's old rugby club. Years spent watching Croydon RFC have given Izzy a firm knowledge of rugby drinking songs, but all she remembers of this one is that it was taught to her dad's mates by a visiting Australian who joined the team for one season. Mostly they tended to just sing the Dubliners.

As for the rest, well, nothing out of the ordinary. While waiting for Mike to answer, she turns to the others, at least those who aren't occupied on the skittle lane, and explains a bit more about vestigium.

"I'm picking something up, but it's pretty faint. Might just be background noise, a bit like how you get background radiation. Wood doesn't really hold vestigium well, so if we pick anything up on the skittle lane then you know that something's happened there. Plastic chairs though, they'll pick stuff up better, so we might get a better sense down here in the audience area. Whatever I'm sensing though, it's just what you'd expect to find somewhere like this. Except the song...

"Leo, did you hear it too?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des took a step closer to the doors, looking up to see who was in the photograph.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 551 times
"No, I don't..." he said, frowning. It wasn't unusual for him to have to focus for a bit before the important stuff came through, but he usually had it by now.

Leo was struggling to pick up anything until Izzy mentioned skittles, and then suddenly the clatter eased into hearing. "I do now..." he murmured in Izzy's direction. Suddenly, the song was there, too.

"I don't think I've heard that one...He's no frakkin use at all...", he intoned. His chorus friends would be embarrassed to hear how out of practice his poor singing voice has with so little practice.

"Oh, and what kind of cheese is that? That's no Stinkin' Bishop, is it? Pantysgawn?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I suppose it only makes you play better when there's a competition, not when you're just practicing, then," says Jordan. He tries again with the last ball, only to have it roll into the trough. "Well, looks like I'm even more rubbish at this than you are. Never really played it before. Rugger is my sport, though I haven't played in a while."

DEX roll (40% stat) playing skittles:
d%
STR roll (70% stat) playing skittles:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper shrugs, comes back inside and puts his camera down for a moment. "Why not?"

1d%70

1d%d60%

OOC:   Hard Success in both.  

Nine skittles go down. Skipper shrugs modestly. "Beginner's luck." He does collect his camera and take a quick snap of the downed skittles. "Posterity."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"I used to play rugger at Hendon - flanker, would you believe."

Says Butterfield from his position at the end of the alley. He is about to answer Izzy's question when Skipper bowls and knocks down all nine pins.

"Wheyhey!" he yells. Jumping up, he starts to sing:

"Why was he born so beautiful?
Why was he born at all?
He’s no bloody use to anyone,
He’s no bloody use at all!"

Mopping the sweat from his brow, he grins.

"That's what we sing when someone scores a 'flopper' and knocks 'em all down in one throw."

Grunting as he bends down, he stands all the pins back up.

"Go on Skipper, mark yourself a nine on the scoreboard and throw the other two balls - let's see what your final score is."

Absorbed in what feels like skittles team trials and his attention fixed on Skipper, the rest of you are free to continue poking around.

Des - the photo looks like a group shot of some kind - perhaps a team photo? It's difficult to tell without getting up there and taking the photo down.

OOC:   An Athletics roll is required to climb up on a table to reach the photo. Anything other than a fumble will do the trick.  

Leo - Mentally smacking your lips, you somehow sense that the cheese has a distinct tang of Cheddar.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

After marking the scoreboard, Skipper raises an eyebrow but collects the next ball. "Lemon squeezy," he says, not overly confident but trying to sound hopeful.

1d%70%

1d%d60%

OOC:   Another double hard success.  

Another nine skittles go down. No one looks more surprised than Skipper.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ignoring the noise from Skipper and Butterfield, Des dragged one of the drinks tables over to the doorway, shuffled it around until it was level on the floor, then tried to climb on to in order to take a better look at the photo.

Athletics (60%) 1d100
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I was the tighthead prop myself," says Jordan with a smile. "I'm well built for it." He applauds when Skipper knocks down all the pins. "That was impressive, Skipper! Are you normally that good at this, or is it this place?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy takes great interest in hearing Mike sing the full verse. "Where did it come from, in your group? You haven't got anyone from Down Under playing for you, do you? I only know it because my dad's Australian mate from his own club taught it us, they sing it down there plenty at rugby matches."

To Jordan, she continues, "My dad used to be a scrum half, Croydon RFC. Bit old for it now though, but he and the old boys still keep the bar well funded. Never played myself, I was a hockey lass, but I grew up around the club. My first girlfriend was their flanker actually, on the junior girls team."

She notices Des climbing up to look at the photo, and decides to ask her about it afterwards, but for the moment she's just concerned about the possibility of Des falling off the table and breaking herself. She keeps an eye on the girl as she moves across to the skittle lane, and asks if she can give it a go too once Skipper has thrown his third and final ball.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper updates his score on the board. Looking back at Jordan, he shrugs. "No real point of comparison. I played a lot of football. These days it's BJJ. Few comps very similar to skittles when I was in the RN, and I held my own."

"But I don't feel like my hand is being guided by The Force, to answer your question."
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Leo laughed and shook his head. "That version of the song is a little cleaner than the one that I heard in mine. But hey, I understand. Ladies present and all..."

"West Ham here," he added. "For fun, I learned the Bubbles song off by one beat. It blows peoples minds when I do it. I always meant to learn it backwards, but no time these days."

Leo wasn't going to participate, but when he sees Izzy headed that way, he decides it couldn't hurt to have a go.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Butterfield's eyes practically pop out of his head when Skipper scores another flopper.

"Up the Hammers!" he yells, grinning at Leo. "Good lad."

"C'mon then Skipper, you've got one more ball and then tot up your score. Then the rest of you can have a go if you want."

OOC:   If anyone wants to play, roll three times as per the instructions above.  

Des - despite choosing a rickety table to climb up on, you manage to unhook the picture and bring it down without incident.

Anyone looking at the cracked frame sees a black-and-white photo of a bunch of middle-aged white men, posing in behind a bunch of skittles. Their clothing looks pretty old-fashioned - seventies or eighties maybe? Intriguingly, they also wear very serious expressions.

A couple of them hold skittle balls, while one of them in the centre holds a squat-looking pot of some sort. You can just about make out some kind of writing on this pot, but it's quite small in the photo and difficult to read.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

"Nobody tell Nightingale about this. What happens in the countryside stays in the countryside."

Leo waited patiently until it was his turn. You could hear the grin as he wound up. "Okay, here we go..."

DEX (40/20): 1d100

STR (50/20): 1d100

Skittles (if needed): 1d10

"And that's why I stick to the books," he laughed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"That's still one more than I got," says Jordan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"I'll give it a go," Izzy grins, "but I'll wait for Skipper to see if he can get a turkey first. If you use that term in skittles, anyway."

She's confident in her abilities, since most weeks she and her local friends spend an evening at Rowan's Tenpin Bowl just up the road from her apartment. Not that she's told the others, so if she does fail, she doesn't have to suffer the embarrassment of bragging first...
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des put the photo on the table and pulled out her phone. Moving her fingers on the screen, she tried to magnify the writing on the pot so she could read it.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper gives it a third crack. "Ham and cheesy," he mutters to himself.

1d%70%

OOC:   Hard Success.  

1d%d60%

OOC:   Fail.  

1d10/2

Four pins are knocked down. Skipper laughs. "A stunning return to form. Twenty two total." He chalks it up.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"Twenty-two to beat, huh? I'll give it a go then..."

Izzy takes up a position once the skittles have been reset, and proceeds with her own three attempts, hoping she can score at least close to Skipper's skillful run...

Strength 40%  
1d100
  Dexterity 60%  
1d100

Strength 40%  
1d100
  Dexterity 60%  
1d100

Strength 40%  
1d100
  Dexterity 60%  
1d100

OOC:   If I may, I'd like to spend 8 luck to make the second roll a success on Dex as well  

Return to “Rivers of London”