Statement 3: Tea at the Folly

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Re: Statement 3: Tea at the Folly

Post by Trivun »

Izzy takes the warning in full. No mention of Lesley, and no more talk of HTD. She suppresses a shudder thinking of the Faceless Man, and adds him to her mental list of topics to not discuss with civilians.

"A Patronus is from Harry Potter," She explains in a bid to change the topic, and shying back a little as she remembers Nightingale's dislike of referencing the series, particularly in calling his old school 'Hogwarts'. She learned that herself the hard way when she first joined the Folly, after all...

"If we're heading back to the store for eight, I'll meet you all there," she adds. "Just need to head home briefly to feed the cat."
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Leo grinned, laughing at Skipper's reference. "Oh, yes. You know how Peter is always going on about how you 'went to 'Hogwarts?' Patronus is from the Harry Potter franchise. If we ever start a Folly Movie Night, I suggest we start with that the first Potter film. Richard Harris is an absolute delight."

Slipping his PNB back into his pocket, he stood. "I don't think there is anything else at the moment. Let's head back to the bookshop as soon as it closes."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper maintains a straight face throughout the Hogwarts discussion.

"An afternoon power nap may be called for if we're going to be ghost busting all night. I somehow doubt I'll be able to sleep in the bookshop."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan smiles, having recognized the reference, as his son is into Harry Potter. "Yeah, a short nap and some supper sound good," he says. "Being able to snatch some sleep and food whenever I have the opportunity helped a lot during my residency, and I still have that skill."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“Ah yes, Harry Potter… I’ve yet to find the time to watch that.”

Nightingale’s expression turns slightly sour for a moment.

“Now - back to business. Shall I arrange the loan of Ernie from Mr. Fitzroy? What else do you wish to take back to the shop?”

OOC:   Please can I have a group luck roll? I.e. a Luck roll from the person with the lowest Luck score?  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Having used some Luck recently, Skipper is down to 55 so I'm pretty sure he's now the lowest Luck. He'll roll...  

1d%L55%

OOC:   Success. Just.  

"Having a dog along sounds like fun. I definitely think we need Ernie."
Last edited by Snapper on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I agree," says Jordan. "He'll sniff out any ghosts. We should also bring candles and matches to light them. A stronger werelight could knock out electric lights."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Can it? I like your thinking, Doc, but naked flames and books don't seem like a good combination. Let alone all of that and someone or something that can make stuff fly about with the wave of a wand."

"What if we leave the candles? I'll go via a camping and outdoors store and buy a bumper pack of chemical glow sticks. Those things are ultra reliable and don't use a battery. And they're safe. No heat at all."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I doubt the lighting is computerised, so it should be safe from the effects of magic,” Nightingale interjects.

“However you’re right to be cautious. Did you mention a CCTV system connected to a computer? Care should be taken not to knock that out - we’d be honour-bound to replace it and our budget is stretched as it is.”

He stops to check his watch - an expensive analogue one you notice.

“You’d better get a move on - Ernie will be waiting for you. Please call me if you get into difficulties.”

Waiting for you in the foyer is an old-fashioned wicker hamper in which lies a large thermos flask, some tin mugs and a paper-wrapped parcel containing, on further inspection, several rounds of cheese or ham sandwiches; courtesy of Molly. There is also, for some reason, a half-chewed, hair-covered sausage, which appears to have been wrestled from the mouth of a dog.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Do the team still have time for some shopping etc? And power naps? Or is it fast approaching 8pm?  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   You all rolled your Research reasonably well on average, so I’ll allow time for a little shopping. You can roleplay this or I can handwave it - up to you guys :)  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"If we're good to go then, I'll meet you all there." Izzy takes a look at the hamper provided by Molly, happy for the sandwiches, and grateful that they aren't more traditional ingredients. She has zero issues with Molly's cooking, in fact, she's a big fan, but she can't quite stomach herself to eat some of the older dishes - things like sweetbread, tripe sandwiches, or even steak and kidney pudding - in fact, as far as Izzy is concerned, the entire realm of organ-based meats is one to be avoided at all costs.

She steps outside, heading towards Russell Square Underground Station as she mentally calculates the journey. She's made the trip between home and Stonewaters many times as a customer, to Leicester Square nearby even more on social trips, and of course the route between home and the Folly countless times since transferring to the department. As she walks through the centre park, she works it out - roughly three minutes to the station, eleven minutes on the Tube if she's lucky enough to arrive as a train is pulling in, another eleven minutes to walk to her flat at Argyle Court, roughly twenty minutes to feed Freya and clean out the litter tray. Eleven minutes back to Finsbury Park Station, sixteen from there to Leicester Square on the Tube if she's lucky with trains again, and just two minutes from there to Stonewaters. All in all, just a little over an hour to arrive at the store and meet with the others.

Before exiting the park, Izzy's phone buzzes in her pocket. She opens it up to find a WhatsApp from a new number.

"Hi there, it's Alice, Sarah's cousin. She gave me your number to get in touch, hope that's alright, I promise I'm not some creepy stalker! Anyway, she said you couldn't make it to Rowan's tonight because of work, so if you're free another time then maybe we can meet up for coffee? I'm available all day tomorrow, just let me know. There's this really great place near me in Whitechapel that I reckon you'd love!"

There's also a picture, a young woman around Izzy's age with long and messy chestnut-brown hair, a round and pretty face, and wide smile, baggy Florence and the Machine t-shirt and a rainbow pin clearly visible on her satchel-bag, taken at Thorpe Park going by the background. Izzy can't help but grin like a hormonal teenager as she sees the picture, and curses her luck at having to work tonight while simultaneously praising Sarah for being such a great friend and wing-woman. She quickly fires off a reply saying that she would love to hang out the next day, before descending into the pit of no mobile signal that is the London Underground.

It doesn't take long for Izzy to arrive home, opening the door to her cheap and small studio flat to reveal an absolute bomb site. Or more specifically, a room that looks like it was bombed during World War 2 and then left for the next eighty years with only a light clean every so often to remove layers of dust. She tries not to think about it as she picks her way around discarded boxes, clothes and underwear strewn around the floor, CDs and books lying haphazardly around the place, and un-made bed, to make her way to the kitchen area and her waiting kitty. She keeps it clean, vacuum and polish, but clearly not tidy, and Izzy thinks about how she'll need to make more of an effort if she ever gets to bring Alice round to the flat. For now, she completes the immediate tasks, feeding Freya and giving her a few strokes and pets before cleaning out the litter tray and grabbing a quick snack to keep her going until the evening.

Perhaps she can convince Molly to leave the Folly at some point and come over to tidy the place up.

Jobs done, Izzy finally heads back to the West End, taking the Tube as before to meet with her colleagues, new, old, and canine, at Stonewaters book store.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Trivun wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:16 pmIzzy takes a look at the hamper provided by Molly, happy for the sandwiches, and grateful that they aren't more traditional ingredients. She has zero issues with Molly's cooking, in fact, she's a big fan, but she can't quite stomach herself to eat some of the older dishes - things like sweetbread, tripe sandwiches, or even steak and kidney pudding - in fact, as far as Izzy is concerned, the entire realm of organ-based meats is one to be avoided at all costs.
OOC:   What do you think the Luck roll was for? :D  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

OOC:   Makes sense, I do also share an aversion to organ meats! :lol:  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des examined the contents of the hamper. She wasn’t sure what tripe was but it had to be better than ratching through the bins outside a restaurant, even if it was one of the high end ones down the West End.

”We got sleepin’ bags or summat?” she asked. ”You’re not spectin’ us to be awake all night, are you?”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper sauntered off with a passing, "See you at 8."

Slightly frustrated that his camera couldn't be used, he had a plan. Skipper went hunting in the bigger stores for a couple of those old cheap, disposable film cameras that used to be left at every table at a wedding. Hopefully immune to Harry Potter weirdness.

Happy with that, Skipper headed to the kebab shop and then his bed-sit above a pub. He rummaged around his limited possessions, found a keyring torch he could clip onto his backpack and a 'Leatherman' multi-tool to shove into a front pouch. Satisfied, Skipper set the alarm, finished his kebab, then stretched out and fell asleep with practised ease.
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan stops off at home for a quick dinner with his family, letting them know he has to work tonight. They're used to this sort of thing by now, as he often got called out at all sorts of odd hours, but that doesn't make it any easier. Sarah's cooking is delicious as always, and she gives him a care package in case he gets hungry later. Then he heads out to Stonewater's to meet the rest of his team, making sure he leaves early enough to get there in time. London traffic isn't as bad after 7:00, at least, with rush hour over.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   I assume someone’s picking up Ernie on the way?  

Ernie turns out to be a small and slightly skittish Scottish Terrier. He seems excited to be taken for walkies by new people.

Mr. Fitzroy, a genial old gent, assures you that the dog is house trained.

OOC:   I’ll start a new chapter tomorrow.  
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 448 times
As the meeting broke up, Leo slipped upstairs and spent the next couple of hours studying before he got ready to head to the bookshop. He swiped away a few texts from his mother about "finding a nice young man" and laughed. It could be worse.

Leo left a little earlier than actually needed and bopped into a curry shop near New Row before continuing on to meet the group at Stonewaters.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Apologies, I slightly misread that to mean Ernie the doggie would be waiting for us at Stonewaters. Earlier post slightly edited and...  

At 7:30pm, Skipper returns to the Folly and collects Ernie the dog. "Hope you're up for a walk." They saunter on to Stonewaters, New Row. "There's quite a good Japanese place here, but we haven't really got time now, I'm afraid. Maybe tomorrow?" He looks down to see if the dog seems happy with that.

Return to “Rivers of London”