Statement 2: New Row

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 2: New Row

Post by jp1885 »

New Row is in the heart of swanky Covent Garden; lined in the main with restaurants, bistros and, of course, bookshops. The Cappucino Lounge, a typical coffee shop where the word 'barrista' is taken seriously, lies approximately 20 yards away from Stonewaters Bookshop, on the same side of the narrow street. Sitting inside, clutching a glass cup of what looks like the eponymous frothy coffee, is Warwick Anderson.

He is accompanied by a uniformed officer out of Charing Cross Police Station: PC Singh, according to his name badge. Dressed in beige chinos and a red and white checked shirt, with a button-down collar, Anderson looks exhausted and somewhat rumpled; spiky bits of blonde hair sticking out at wayward angles (although that may just be the way he styles it). Occasionally glancing nervously over his shoulder, he starts as the entrance bell jangles when you walk in, but relaxes slightly when PC Singh acknowledges your arrival.

What PC Singh thinks of the appearance of such a motley crew is hidden behind the well-practised ceiling gaze of your typical Bobby on the beat.

"Um, a-are you the police people they said were coming to interview me?" Anderson asks.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Re: Statement 2: New Row

Post by Trivun »

"That would be us," says Izzy, as she introduces herself by showing Mr Anderson her warrant card, flashing it towards PC Singh as well to confirm her identity. "Sorry there's a few of us, but the boss insisted. Last thing we want to do is intimidate you though."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

’Speak for yerself!” snapped Des. ”Dey’re feds. Fuck knows what I’m doing ‘ere!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan lets the cops do the talking, though he's ready to contribute if his input is needed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper inhales reply and bee-lines for the counter to politely order a coffee. He's happy to lurk near the counter and just listen in to the story while checking out the other customers.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Despite Izzy's attempt to calm the young man, Anderson is somewhat taken aback by Des' outburst and shrinks back in his chair.

PC Singh harrmuphs and suggests that perhaps it'd help if Anderson gives a statement regarding what happened to him.

"Uh, yeah, I suppose," Anderson replies.

"I was working in the basement. It was around midnight, give or take, moving the celebrity chef books to the other end of the cookery section, when I was hit in the back by something. I turned around to find Banksy's Wall and Piece at my feet - the paperback, not the hardback, or else that would have really hurt.

Thing is, I was supposed to be the only one in the shop. There was no sign of anyone who could have thrown it, so I'll admit, I was spooked. I went upstairs to take a look around and make sure no one had broken in, but all the doors were locked, and I couldn't see anyone. I was feeling a bit annoyed by this point, so I gave up looking and went back to re-shelving the books.

Next thing I know, I get hit on the head by a soft toy, like the ones we keep at the till points. I was just about to turn around and catch whoever threw it red-handed when a ton of books smashed into me from the art section and flattened me! A couple of really big Taschen art books caught me in the back of the head, but I managed to stagger to the phone at the downstairs till and dialled 999.

It's all a bit hazy after that, but someone helped me up tp the ambulance, where they told me I had a mild concussion. I went home, then I got a call asking me to come back in so I could be interviewed by some special crimes unit - you lot, I'm assuming? I told them there was no way I was going within 500 metres of that place, but eventually, they convinced me to meet you here instead."

OOC:   Skipper, by all means make an Observation skill test - this is the same as how you'd do a test in CoC 7E: roll a d100 - a success is equal or less your skill rating, with a Hard success being half or less (there's no such thing as an extreme success in RoL). You can spend luck to improve your score, and push the roll, as per CoC, if you wish (though I wouldn't worry about that in this instance).  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Should the rest of us roll Observation too?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:  
Mr. Handy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:34 pm Should the rest of us roll Observation too?
Yes, by all means do!  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan looks around, taking in everything.

Observation roll (60% skill) in the coffee shop:
d%
Critical success! 8-)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy nods sympathetically as she hears Mr. Anderson's tale of woe and potential cranial trauma, and jots down everything in her notepad, getting as much detail as she can.

"You say the doors were locked, and you were the only one working that night, yes? Can you give us a list of everyone who would have keys to the shop and could have entered while you were in there?"

(RE Observation - 60%:)

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des rolled her eyes. ’Flyin’ books!’ She’d never heard the like!

Observation (60%) 1d100
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%30%

OOC:   Oh dear. Not a good start. Very definite fail.  

Skipper is unfortunately distracted by some attractive caffeine consumers and fails to see anything much else.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Anderson takes a moment to consider Izzy’s question.

“Only my boss, Saffron: she’s the store manager. But we’re good mates; she wouldn’t go around throwing books at people, especially me. Look, I know the building is old and the shop’s a weird shape, so there’s plenty of places to hide; but I’m certain there wasn’t anyone else there last night.”

You see nothing out of the ordinary. Jordan, great roll! You spot some particularly good flapjacks for sale at the counter.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Clutching a large latte in a disposable cup, Skipper ambles over to the table. "Who's running the shop today then, your boss? Time for a quick nose around, I'm thinking. I'm always looking to add to my Beatrix Potter collection anyway."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Um, I think she’s waiting to talk to you anyway,” replies Anderson. “I expect she’ll want to be ready to open at eleven.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Come on,“ grumbled Des. ”I’ve no idea what I’m doin’ ‘ere and dis is gettin’ borin’!“
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"I suppose there's not much more you can tell us then, if you didn't see anyone. Leo, any questions from you?"

Despite the clear antagonistic attitude of the girl accompanying them, Izzy accepts that they should probably head over to the store itself, if there's nothing else that Warwick can assist with.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Wait!"

Anderson chews his lip, weighing up the pros and cons of saying what he is about to say.

“You know what I reckon? I reckon it was a poltergeist!”
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy settles back, glancing at Leo as she does so with a knowing smile. "Now we're getting somewhere." Something to think about when they arrived at the store, but at least that would explain why Nightingale had been given the call. She looks across at Des.

"Happy now? Might be we need your special talents after all."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des sighed heavily and rolled her eyes. ”Poltergeists? You been havin’ too much spliff, grandma!“ she snorted derisively.

Return to “Rivers of London”