Statement 1: The Folly

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Statement 1: The Folly

Post by jp1885 »

Sunday 07:50 hrs.

It may be a Sunday morning, but London is as bustling as usual. Traffic beeps and honks it's way around the green oasis of Russell Square, necessitating your disparate group of would-be investigators to scurry across the road at the urging of the pedestrian crossing. Before you a grand, five-story building seems to loom above you with Georgian hauteur.

Passing the wrought iron railings that guard the staircases leading down to mysterious basement rooms, you instead ascend the stone steps to a set of heavy mahogany front doors. Your eyes settle on the legend carved above the stone lintel: "Scientia Potestas Est" - Knowledge Is Power.

You are about to enter the Folly, headquarters of the Special Assessment Unit: the Metropolitan Police's supernatural division.

What led you to this place? How did you get mixed up in all of this? Do you talk to each other, strangers bought together in such unusual circumstances? Or do you keep your thoughts to yourself?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Statement 1: The Folly

Post by Philulhu »

Des kept her head down and her distance from the others. She’d rather be anywhere else but here, but the old Police Inspector who’d caught her snooping around one of the outbuildings the other day had told her to come back at 8.00am on Sunday, otherwise he’d come and find her. He wasn’t exactly threatening, but his words had carried a certain weight that was difficult to ignore.

She tried to remember his name. A bird of some sort? Partridge? Cormorant? Nightjar?
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

In any other city, Izzy would be busy parking her car in the space at the back, the place where the old coach house currently acted as a technological oasis in the desert of analogue and tradition that was the Folly. But this being central London, traffic would make walking so much quicker than attempting to drive anywhere, and more to the point, though she has a license, Izzy doesn't own a car herself. No need, living in the heart of the capital, with easy access anywhere via the Underground, and having access to police pool cars if she ever needs to drive for work (and with the added bonus of the blues and twos to cut out all those other annoying drivers).

Instead, she takes the Piccadilly Line from Finsbury Park to Russell Square station, stepping out and walking the short distance down Bernard Street to the Square proper, and crossing over, passing the fountains at the centre and grabbing a quick coffee and bacon and egg sandwich from the van at the entrance to the park. She wolfs it down quickly as she walks, hoping that Molly won't notice the smell of breakfast on her when she enters the building.

Approaching the Folly itself, Izzy notices a young dark skinned woman, barely more than a child, approaching the main entrance. She's puzzled for a moment, since usually the only people entering the Folly would be members of the SAU such as herself, or other officers on official business, and occasionally affiliated friends and acquaintances - DC Grant's young cousin, Abigail, for instance. For a moment, Izzy mistakes this girl for Abigail, but that thought is quickly pushed aside as she sees the stranger's face without recognition. She calls out as she walks up.

"Hey, you okay? Can I help you at all?"
Last edited by Trivun on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des flinched as the policewoman spoke to her but quickly recovered and tried to brazen it out.

Gotta ‘pointment,” she said, pushing her shoulders back and looking her in the eye. Inspector Woodpecker wants to see me.”
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"Woodpecker?" Izzy looks blank for a second. "Huh. Didn't know DCI Nightingale had hired someone else... I wonder what Inspector Woodpecker is like..."

She muses absent-mindedly as she opens the door, holding it for the young girl to follow. Stepping inside, she heads up the small corridor of the lobby booth, before entering the atrium, taking in the grand view as always. As she enters, Izzy takes out a small bottle of lavender perfume from her bag, spraying herself and replacing the bottle as quickly as she can before Molly can arrive and smell the greasy bacon on her.
Last edited by Trivun on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Recruited by Postmartin, Harold felt compelled to give Leo a complete and exhaustive -- emphasis on exhaustive -- history of the Isaacs. While Leo did well in his university science classes, he'd never really paid attention to the history or who did what beyond remembering the odd last name when attached to a law. So when he initially appeared to have no idea about whom Isaac Newton was, Postmartin was apoplectic. "Is that the sort of education do they give you down at City these days," he managed angrily over his pint before continuing.

While werelight went quickly for Leo, the other two spells came more slowly. Theory, what little bit that was currently known, went more easily. While Nightingale said his forma were better than Peter's at that point in his training, Leo still didn't grasp how everything fit together so that he could -- eventually -- improvise spells of his own. The weeks zipped by, and now it was time for DC Arden to assist on his first official SAU case rather than just shadowing Peter and Sahra and hitting the Folly's libraries. He looked into the mirror, smiled nervously, adjusted his tie self-consciously before slipping on his jacket. He patted his suit jacket pockets -- phone battery in one and the phone in the other -- and headed downstairs, checking his inexpensive Timex self-winding watch that he buys by the case at Goblin Markets. Hey, practitioners on a budget have to know the time, too...

Crap, I'm late... he thought to himself as he took the stairs two at a time, risking Nightingale's ire at his lack of decorum. *He's already mad, right?*

As he zipped across the atrium, he offered his hand to Izzy. "DC Cooper," he said, smiling warmly at his fellow student. "It's a pleasure to see you again."

"You know, I thought Molly would have gone all out with a full breakfast spread for our newest addition and our first official case."

Then to Des, he offered his hand, "DC Leo Dansby. I don't believe I've had the pleasure..."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy takes the offered hand and shakes it, smiling at her colleague. "DC Dansby, good to see you. Don't worry about being late, I've literally just got here too."

She looks at the girl beside them and then back at Leo. "Did you know we've got a new inspector joining us, apparently? Someone called Woodpecker? At least, this one said she was supposed to meet him here..."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des’ eyes narrowed and she stared at the newcomer suspiciously. She didn’t take the proffered hand.

’Haven’t had the pleasure’?’ What did he mean by that? Another copper assumin’ she was nickin’ stuff! Dey didn’t just give you a kickin’ like in her dad’s day, now dey tryin’ to be friends ‘n’ that, get you to spill your guts…” she thought to herself.

She scowled warily at the both of them.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Dansby looks confused for a moment, and then as the realization sets in, he grins. For a moment, he almost lets the joke play out, but he knows how important first impressions are to The Nightingale, so he decides to cut the new lady a little slack. "Oh, yeah, DCI Woodpecker. Big tuft of red hair. They call him Woodie. Really annoying laugh. I know the guy. But he isn't going to be working this case with us. I think you're thinking about DCI Nightingale."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

It takes another moment for Izzy to realise her mistake, but when she does, her face turns as crimson as her hair. She turns away, hoping that neither the girl nor Leo spot the embarrassment as she understands that the girl had been summoned by the Nightingale himself, and not some strange new inspector like she thought. She tries to cover it up by introducing herself properly to the girl.

"DC Isabel Cooper, new... um, new apprentice at the SAU. That is, the Special Assessment Unit. Although I guess you already know what that is, if you're here meeting Nightingale, right? I'm guessing you're some kind of fae? Maybe a river goddess? Mama Thames didn't send you here, did she?"

Izzy is babbling slightly, showcasing her unfortunate habit of not being able to shut up that had by now become infamous among her former colleagues in the Belgravia MIT. At least, in situations where professionalism wasn't needed, at which point she had the uncanny ability to switch to the ideal cop precisely as needed...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Dr. Jordan Schneider entered, his large frame masking the keen mind housed in it. He's used to working all hours, so he doesn't mind so much getting up early on a Sunday morning. That's nothing a nice cup of tea couldn't fix. Work as a medical examiner was nice, and he didn't have to worry as much about making a mistake. All of his patients were dead before he ever saw them. At least, it was nice until one of the corpses sat up right before he was about to make his first incision, then got off the slab and walked right out of the room. Too shocked to do anything at the time, all he could think about was what to say about it. His inherent honesty led him to tell the truth, no matter how crazy it made him seem. It wasn't unheard of for a live person to be mistakenly declared dead and delivered to the morgue. He knew perfectly well that the man had truly been dead, but he left that assessment out of his report. After all, he obviously had to have been mistaken, right? Apparently his report had caught the attention of someone important, and for that he had gotten a transfer to a unit filled with people as crazy as he must be.

"This must be the place," he says, looking around.

I haven't had time yet to finalize my character. I'm playing one of the pre-gens, but I'll be rewriting the background from scratch (I've already made some changes in this post).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Stepping into the atrium; more exclusive gentleman's club than police station; your eyes are immediately drawn to the statue of Sir Isaac Newton: founder of the Society of the Wise (the forerunner of the SAU) and the man who set down the official principles of magic. Flanked by two tall pillars, the great man stares outwards, as if grappling with some complicated forma or troublesome principal.

Autumn sunlight, courtesy of the large glass dome above you, illuminates the marble floor, as well as the stone busts of Newton and Victor Casterbrook: first 'reputable' president of the Society.

"Ahem."

A polite cough behind you causes you to turn.

"Ah, you're all here. Excellent."

Emerging from the lobby as if stepping out of a scene from Brief Encounter or some other black-and-white film is a well-groomed gentleman, seemingly in his 40's, clad in an immaculate if somewhat old-fashioned suit. Instantly recognisable, Detective Inspector Nightingale has arrived.

"If you care to follow me to the briefing room..."

He retreats back into the lobby and opens a door to the right. A brass plaque on said door identifies the room beyond as the visitors' lounge, so it's function has obviously changed.

"Please be seated and I will begin."

The visitors' lounge, once used as an agreeable space for wives, daughters and other suitably genteel visitors to be entertained by members (while making it quite clear that they weren’t welcome in the Folly proper), is a long room lined with oak panelling. Portraits of Newton, Queen Charlotte, the fifth Duke of Bedford gaze serenly from their frames while the comfortable, if second-best furniture has been collected in one corner to make room for hard plastic seating and fold-out tables. A large whiteboard dominates the wall facing you.

OK, no worries :)
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy steps through, following the guv'nor through to the newly purposed briefing room, and takes a seat about halfway up the table to await the purpose of this early morning summons. She recalls the phone call earlier in the morning, waking her from her pleasant slumber and startling Freya enough to leap off the bed, asking her to come straight to the Folly for 8am sharp.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des took a seat at the furthest corner of the table, as far away from everyone else as possible. She had her hood up and had her eyes downwards.

Nightingale! What a stupid name! Wan’t mi fault I got it wrong!’ she thought sullenly. ’ And what was dat copper on about?! A river goddess?!’

She shook her head and glanced at the others under the brim of her hood to make sure they weren’t laughing at her, then looked around the room. Fancy wood panelling, big pictures of posh white people. Yeah, she knew where the money for all this had come from…
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Leo smiled. After studying at The Folly for the last few months, he would recognize that voice anywhere. He wasn't late, after all. And even better, he wasn't last. Suddenly, he remembered that he hadn't checked his shoes before he came down, and when he thought Nightingale wasn't looking, he wiped the tops of his brown dress shoes firmly against the back of his pants legs, hoping to catch any dust that he missed. Then he slipped inside the door and took a place at the table next to Izzy. He hadn't been this excited since he graduated from Henden.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan finds a seat and makes himself comfortable, hoping for an explanation of all this that makes sense.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

As they all sit, Izzy notices the newcomer enter quietly without a word, and gives him a quick smile, wondering who the other man could be. She reaches across the table, extending a hand as she introduces herself.

"DC Isabel Cooper, but Izzy is fine. This is DC Leo Dansby, and I'm not sure yet who this young woman is..." she says, glancing briefly at the girl. "I guess the Nightingale invited you here too?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Pleased to meet you all," says Jordan, smiling back as he shakes her hand firmly, though he doesn't use his full strength. "I'm Dr. Jordan Schneider, but you can call me Jordan. You probably know more about what's going on here than I do. I'm a medical examiner, but I've just been transferred here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 444 times
"Pleasure, Doc," Leo said, extending his hand. "You look like you've got a lot of questions. Believe me... We all did."

"And if you're going to be working as an M.E. with us, then get ready to have a whole lot more sooner rather than later. Be ready, though. Some answers aren't all that pleasant; some questions don't have answers at all. Yet."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Thanks," says Jordan, shaking his hand too. "Well, I'm hoping I'll at least get some answers. And maybe learn what the right questions are, as I don't even know all of them yet either."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Rivers of London”