Character Creation

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Character Creation

Post by jp1885 »

I’ll dig them out when I get home this evening :)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Here you go...
Required skills: Observation, Stealth.
Recommended skills: Athletics, Fighting, Navigate, Read Person, Sleight of Hand.
Suggested contacts: businesses who employ staff on a casual basis (manual labour, delivery drivers, etc.), criminals, police, homeless, gang members.
Equipment: potentially nothing more than the clothes on their back, though they may have the tools associated with their current job.

If anyone else needs any extra information (occupations, skill descriptions, advantages, spells etc.) please PM me and I'll copy 'n' paste the relevant bits :)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des Orivo

STR 60 (30)
CON 70 (35)
DEX 75 (37)
INT 65 (32)
POW 70 (35)

Luck: 2d10+50

Magic Points: 14

Career: Chancer

Common Skills:

Athletics* 60 (30)
Drive 30 (15)
Navigate* 60 (30)
Observation* 60 (30)
Read Person* 60 (30)
Research 30 (15)
Sense Vestigia 30 (15)
Social 30 (15)
Stealth* 60 (30)

Combat Skills:

Fighting 30 (15)
Firearms 30 (15)

Expert Skills:

Sleight of Hand* 60 (30)

*boosted skills.

Advantages:

Fast reactions (Des has to keep her wits about her on the streets)
The Knowledge (She has roamed far and wide, keeping herself busy, out of trouble and safe).

If all that looks ok, I’ll put it all together.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

I had meant to have my character completed a lot sooner than this but she's all done now! I'll post in the relevant thread and make any changes via edit if needed :)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Phil and Trivun: both looking good!
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

How would you feel about a private investigator? I'm picturing relatively young, East-Ender, ex-military. I'm a big Guy Ritchie fan and feel like the characters in Ritchie movies wouldn't be out of place in Ben A's Rivers novels (except for the magic).

But if that won't work, sing out!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sounds good to me!
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Cool! What are the skills for a PI?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Here you go...

Required skills: Law, Research.
Recommended skills: Art/Craft (Photography), Computer Use, Disguise, Drive, Locksmith, Observation, Read Person, Social, Stealth.
Suggested contacts: law enforcement, clients.
Equipment: notebook, pens, camera, covert surveillance equipment
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Investigator Name: Raymond "Skipper" Pearson

STR 70 (35)
CON 55 (27)
DEX 60 (30)
INT 40 (20)
POW 55 (27)

Luck = 65
Magic Points: 11

MOV: 8

Advantage:
Damage Bonus
The Knowledge

Common Skills
Athletics 30
Drive 30
Navigate 30
Observation 30
Read Person 30
Research 60*
Sense Vestigia 30
Social 30
Stealth 60

Expert
Art/Craft (Photography) 60
Computer Use 60
Law 60*

Combat Skills
Fighting 60
Firearms 30

*required

Affluence Rating: Average

Equipment: notebook, pens, camera, covert surveillance equipment
Backpack
Small mobile phone operated drone
Mobile phone
Pack of cigars
Zippo lighter

Backstory:
Raymond "Skipper" Pearson is the product of a large and very broken home, or more accurately several broken tenement block units, in London's East End. Before they finally ODed, Skipper's parents produced seven or eight siblings or half siblings. Skipper's childhood was your basic textbook example of urban disaster.

Having somehow survived to the end of school, Skipper ran afoul of local gang rivalry and suddenly joining the Royal Navy seemed a wise choice. The RN was a better training ground for him (better paid, better food, more brutal) and ultimately he became quite adept with surveillance and recon technology.

Eight years in, Skipper was manning the scanning equipment in the back of an RN Sea King helicopter when it was shot down in the Middle East. Skipper survived but the rest of the crew were killed. To his horror, the dead crew "woke up" and chatted with him while he waited for rescue. Something about a nearby temple having an effect, they said.

A very creeped out and rather injured Skipper was medical-ed out and returned to London. His Navy days have left Skipper with the nickname, a collection of current and ex-Navy friends, a few tattoos, some savings and some compo pay.

Skipper's phone hacking skills were quite in demands with several dodgy journo's but subsequent parliamentary inquiries ended that career. Nonetheless, Skipper discovered private investigation was not the worst sort of job. Navy money paid for the retraining. Now fully licensed, Skipper spends his days photographing spouses behaving badly or tracking down missing persons.

In his free time, he's taken up Brazilian jujitsu to keep the kilos at bay.

2d10+50L
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Dr. Jordan Schneider

STR: 70/35
CON: 70/35
DEX: 40/20
INT: 70/35
POW: 30/15
MOV: 8
Luck: 60

Advantages: Damage Bonus, Natural Toughness
Damage Bonus: +1

Common Skills:
Athletics: 30/15
Drive: 30/15
Navigate: 30/15
Observation: 60/30*
Read Person: 60/30*
Research: 60/30*
Sense Vestigia: 30/15
Social: 60/30*
Stealth: 30/15

Expert Skills:
Language (English): 70/35
Medicine: 60/30*
Science (Biology): 60/30*
Science (Chemistry): 30/15
Science (Forensics): 30/15

Combat Skills:
Fighting: 30/15
Firearms: 30/15

Backstory:
Jordan Schneider is tall, strong, and tough, but he also has a brilliant mind that most people don't see at first glance. He always strives for honesty, and his compassion for his fellow human beings led him to become a doctor. He studied hard in school, and later at university and in medical school, but he also made time to have fun. He played rugby, where his large frame proved useful and his keen intellect came up with good tactics. As a black man in the UK, he only rarely encountered racism, unlike in his parents' and grandparents' days, but that changed when he met and fell in love with a white nurse named Sarah. He was surprised to encounter opposition from white and black people alike, but he followed his heart and ultimately married her. They now have two children, a 14-year-old son named Robert and a 6-year-old daughter named Caroline.

After completing his residency, Jordan took a job in the medical examiner's office, where he didn't have to worry about the possibility of making a mistake that killed a patient, as his patients were all dead before he ever saw them. That didn't stop one of them from getting up and walking out right before he was about to make his first incision. He had been too startled to react at the time, but he told what really happened in his report. There had been cases before where someone thought to be dead and sent to the morgue had actually still been alive, but as a doctor, Jordan was certain that this one had been dead. His report got someone's attention, because he was soon brought in as a consultant to what was known as the Folly.

Affluence:
Average

Equipment:
Folly Consultant's Card, mobile phone and spare batteries, high visibility jacket, and a doctor's bag containing photo ID, a prescription pad, safety alarm, alcohol wipes, PPE, alcohol gel, sharps bin, small torch (flashlight), specimen bottles, syringes, dressings and surgical tape, stethoscope, blood pressure monitor, thermometer, paracetamol (acetaminophen), ibuprofen, penicillin, adrenaline (epinephrine) auto-injectors, and asthma inhalers (among other things).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Rivers of London”