The Incident Room: General Chat

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Re: The Incident Room: General Chat

Post by SaintMeerkat »

Luck Re-Roll

2d10+50
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

By the way, Skipper was making all that up about numerous stops. I imagine the team made best possible speed to Leek Land. Skipper was just enjoying winding up the liaison, as is his wayward want.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

And I was covering for you.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

As ever and much appreciated! :D 👍
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm old enough that I watched Blake's 7 when it aired on TV. I'd love to have it on video too, as I haven't seen it in so long, but it isn't available on this side of the pond as far as I know.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

I was 12 when it came out, but it took going to sci-fi cons in the late '80s to get it on my radar. Then it because this incredible white whale I chased for a few years until the internet came along. I eventually got to watch it all in '05 (or so) and loved it.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

I've vague memories of various episodes when I used catch it when my brothers were watching it, got it all teed up on britbox to watch after I've got through all classic Who (nearly through Bakers second season..) The one thing that stuck with me about Blakes 7 and most 70's-80's sci-fi was the banging theme tunes!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Anyone remember Sapphire and Steel? Scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, and it also holds its own nowadays too.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Love it!! Wish they had done more. Soo creepy. Retwatching it now, on the Faceless man episodes. It was quite a dark series.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I haven't seen Sapphire and Steel, but I've been a Doctor Who fan since 1981, and I've got as complete a collection of Classic Who as still survives. I just got the new version of The Underwater Menace, with animation replacing the two missing episodes, and I'm in the middle of watching it. Tom Baker is my favorite Doctor, and his second season was excellent.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

My earliest Dr. Who memory is watching The Invasion of Time at my nan's. The Sontarans freaked me out - I remember thinking how weird it was how their heads fitted their helmets exactly! Been a fan ever since.

I haven't seen the Underwater Menace animation yet, but the others are pretty good, so I'll give it a whirl sometime.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I saw Invasion of Time early, but the first Doctor Who story I saw was The Invisible Enemy. Tom Baker was the first Doctor I saw, and he remains my favorite. I also liked K-9, though I was still too young at the time to truly appreciate Leela.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

The first Dr Who I saw was Jon Pertwee, although I’d consider Tom Baker as “my” Doctor, as I think I saw all of his episodes. The first episode I remember featured the Autons in a quarry.

I remember Blake’s 7 as well, although I was less of a fan.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jon Pertwee is great too. Probably Terror of the Autons was the one with the quarry. The Master was introduced in that one too, as were Jo Grant and Mike Yates. The other story featuring the Autons was earlier, Spearhead From Space. That one introduced Pertwee, and also Liz Shaw (my favorite companion) and the UNIT team (though the Brigadier and Benton were introduced in the late Troughton era).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I was six when JP stopped playing Dr Who so it must have been the later one. Quite scary for a kid of that age but no lasting harm done (just typing this from behind the sofa! 🤣)
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

My first Doctor was Colin Baker and the Terror of the Vervoids which scared me. They reminded me of another British TV show from the 80"s Day of the Triffids, Now that did scare me. Odd thing is though,my first memory of Doctor Who was Pyramids of Mars,it was repeated on a Sunday on a UK satellite channel, and my first video was Spearhead from Space, git a soft spot for all the Doctors.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

My earliest Dr Who was Jon Pertwee, who I love to this day. Then Tom Baker, who turned 90 today! Grew up with TB Dr Who in "real-time" [#] but came to really appreciate Pertwee in repeats. The ABC in Australia routinely repeated episodes of Dr Who (back to back with The Goodies) so we got to see 3rd Dr and 4th Dr episodes multiple times. Pyramids of Mars is a favourite btw. And UNIT and the Brig and Sarah-Jane...

And I love Blake's 7. Back in the day, had to program the VHS recorder to tape the episodes on ABC. "Vila weighs 73kg..."

[#] The ultimate contradiction in terms has to be Dr Who in real-time.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I’ve got Day of the Triffids on DVD - that’s one of my favourites. I’ve got the book as well, a tatty paperback I picked up as a student in the ‘80s that I still read from time to time.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

It was the sound they made thst really got to me and there 'tongue' attack... :o
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Yeah, not pleasant! 😬

Return to “Rivers of London”