Page 1 of 1

Statement 3: Flowers Fields

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:48 pm
by jp1885
After some searching along the A4286 and environs, you eventually locate Flowers Fields Garden Centre up a narrow lane. Tufts of grass growing along the middle betray how few visitors the place receives.

In contrast to nearby Hazlemere Garden Centre – it’s larger, more successful rival – Flowers Fields is small, shabby and run-down. You pull into an overgrown gravel car park, which leads to a tumbledown shop, no bigger than a portacabin. Next to this is a scruffy patch of hardstanding on which surprisingly healthy-looking pot-plants and shrubs sit on rickety wooden benches.

Looming behind these are a number of neglected-looking greenhouses, made opaque with age. Collapsing sheds and battered polytunnels nestle next to a couple of grotty portaloos, which stand to one side for the patrons’ convenience.

The afternoon is wearing on and the weather is dull. A faint breeze plays across the empty car park - you wouldn't be surprised if some tumbleweed skittered past. Despite all evidence to the contrary, a sigh on the shop door declares it 'open'.

Re: Statement 3: Flowers Fields

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan gets out of the car and looks around for any moss.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:31 pm
by Philulhu

Des peered out of the car window with a scowl on her face. ”Wot’s a garden centre?” she asked.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:26 pm
by Trivun

"You've never heard of a garden centre?" Izzy isn't quite sure she's believing what she's hearing. Fine, there's not much call for gardens in inner city flats that dot the city, and she herself doesn't have a garden (being on a top floor flat herself) - and no real plants inside the apartment either, considering she'd likely end up killing them all through neglect - but even somewhere as urban as London has plenty of gardens and allotments to spare.

Or Freya would probably eat them all. Maybe she should get a catnip plant while they're here...

"Basically, it's a place to buy stuff for gardens. Obviously. Plants and so on. And for maintaining them too, so lawnmowers and spades, that sort of thing..."

It's an awful explanation, but when was the last time Izzy set foot in a garden centre anyway? Even though her parents have a beautifully maintained back garden at their house in Croydon, complete with a perfectly manicured lawn and her mother's prized violets.

Clearing her mind, Izzy focuses on the area around her, and keeps a weather sense out for any vestigium as she approaches the door to the centre...

Sense Vestigium: 60%  
1d100

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:18 am
by Philulhu

”Dull!” pronounced Des, following Izzy towards the entrance.

Sense Vestigia (60%) 1d100

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:10 am
by Snapper

Skipper pauses to take a few (film) photos of the less than enticing plant nursery, before looking over at Leo, Des and crew.

"Awright Team B! Our efforts have uncovered that the late Mr InCel had a spray-on version of Harry Potter's cloak, and have brought us all here."

"In two sentences, what, if anything, have you all dug up?"

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:10 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 980 times
After getting out of the car, Leo joins the others. After getting knocked down last time, he's a little hesitant this time, but he also reaches out to see if he can detect any lingering evidence in the area.

Sense Vestigia (60/30): 1d100

"Well, Skipper, only that he used that spray to plant cameras. We got CCTV footage of the Invisible Man red-handed, so to speak."

Leo made a big show of counting to two on his fingers and grinned.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:35 pm
by Philulhu

Des rolled her eyes at Skipper’s ‘Team B’ comment. ”Summat up with ‘is car. Smelt of… …” She waved her hands in a vaguely magical expression. ”… … vertigo. There’s summat in the boot an’ all. Looks like glitter. And yeah, that’s more’n two sentences but you don’t no the diff’rence between A an’ B… …”

She held up two fingers to Skipper to underline her point.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:53 pm
by jp1885
Looking around the stony car park, you find plenty of grass tufts and dandelions, but no red moss.

Izzy and Leo sense no particular vestigia, but Leo - his senses slightly sharper - detects something slightly unusual from the direction of the small shop.

As if on queue, dark clouds scud across the waning sun and a light flickers on inside the building.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:16 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 967 times
OOC:   Do I get any signare?  

After taking a moment to determine the direction of the source, Leo gets the attention of his colleague.

"Something over there," he says as he points toward the shop. "Definitely something over there."

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:58 pm
by jp1885
  No signare, at least not yet, but a feeling of something… unusual…  

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:17 pm
by Trivun

Izzy notices the clouds and sighs, considering it's still early in the day.

"Like a gods damn cricket Test match..." she mutters, as she joins Leo. "You've got something?"

As far as she can tell, the light turning on just means there's someone at the shop, not surprising given the 'open' sign. To her, presumably it's nothing more than a reaction to the clouds making everything darker.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:00 am
by Snapper

Skipper grunt/growls in (apparent) amusement. "The CCTV cameras, that's definitely a score, but we'd already guessed he was using the spray-on Bilbo's One Ring as car wax, so you don't get that one. I feel like we're one goal up at half time."

"Meantime, remember the giant Venus fly-traps growing in hydro in the Folly basements, Seymour. Be on your toes." He gestures vaguely in the direction of the plant nursery foliage. "But maybe don't set the whole place on fire." The last is directed to Leo with a slight grin.

Skipper takes a few photos of the nursery shop while he's poking the Team B Bear.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Keep your eyes out for a reddish moss," says Jordan. "The deceased had some in his stomach. Looks like rain. We should get inside now."

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:34 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 935 times

"Red moss. Got it."

Of course, Leo left his umbrella back at The Folly, so he starts cautiously toward the store, wondering exactly what is setting off his spidey-sense.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:01 pm
by Trivun

Izzy frowns slightly. "I've still got no idea what you're on about, Skip. I've never heard of any Venus fly-traps growing in the basement, unless Molly's taken up gardening and not told anyone. Besides, Foxglove's room is down there and magic doesn't work around her, so if there is something growing it would be mundane anyway."

Although she definitely appreciates the reference to a great musical. Otherwise, she too keeps an eye out for anything odd, especially in the way of reddish moss, and takes on a more confident, 'I have the right to go anywhere I want' stance, as befits a police officer, before entering the shop.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:40 pm
by jp1885
After a short stroll across the car park (without seeing any red moss), you enter the shop. It is rather cramped and somewhat... well, grotty. The decor matches the goods that are on sale - dusty and dated.

Behind a small counter, her back turned to you as she bustles around with some paperwork, is a short, rather rotund elderly lady with white thistledown hair and strangely pointed ears. Almost immediately you sense a vestigia: the feel of sticky sap, the smell of peat and bright floral colours.

Before you can say anything she stiffens, sniffing the air.

“Ah, The Nightingale has sent his little Peewits to visit my establishment I see," she says in a high-pitched voice. "Honoured, I’m sure. How can I help such fine people today?”

She turns, fixing beady, but not unfriendly, eyes on you.

C7A3EAE0-E210-11ED-AFFD-0AAE55CFC2B1.jpg

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:05 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 924 times
As soon as Leo saw the woman, he started reaching for his warrant card out of pure instinct. After she spoke, he almost put it back in his pocket, but he knew this was one box he wanted to check in case things went pear-shaped.

"DC Leo Dansby," he said before re-pocketing the card, giving her his best disarming smile. "Friends, it seems our reputation precedes us. But you have us at a disadvantage, And you are?"

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:56 pm
by Philulhu

Des wondered if anyone else was getting a strange Cabbage Patch Doll vibe off the woman… …

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan has never seen an elf before, and he has an image in his mind of elves being tall and thin. This strange woman is neither, but she does have the pointy ears, so maybe she is one. He doesn't know what to say to an elf, or whatever she is, so he lets the magical experts do the talking, at least for now, just standing there looking tough but friendly.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:34 am
by Snapper

As they walk towards the shop, Skipper looks at Izzy, gives a happy grunt and shrugs. "Thought of getting some members of our little squad to be on the look out for Audrey was, well, worth a try. I have no clue what's below decks in the Folly, for the record."

"I don't suppose Triffids are a thing, are they? Too much to hope for I guess, not so much magic as bleak, old school sci-fi."

As they approach and enter the shop, Skipper keeps snapping photos, but he stops - somewhat respectfully - when he sees the woman / creature and lowers the venerable Nikon F-3. He does scan the shop to see if there are any more like her about.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:40 pm
by jp1885
The old woman chuckles.

"I can't say I'm aware of your reputation, but I did hear on the grapevine that The Nightingale got himself some more little birds for his aviary. What interesting times we live in eh?"

She puts down the box file she was inspecting and grins.

"I'm Maud Flowers, owner of this establishment. Are you here to buy your master a pot plant, or does The Starling need a pair of shears for that lovely garden his young lady owns?"

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:55 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Secretly, Leo was a little relieved that the woman didn't know about the burning down about Leo's torching of the skittles alley. Just as well, he supposed. While Peter once admitted he believed his friends and colleagues had a rota taking turns rescuing him, at least they hadn't needed bailing out. Not yet.

"The very same," he said, giving a bit of a bow. "The pleasure is all ours, Miss Flowers. The Chinese, I believe, have a saying about interesting times..." his voice trails off, leaving the thought unfinished.

"You know, he didn't mention it, but I suppose Molly wouldn't mind some color to spruce up the place upon our return. A pot plant sounds delightful. Something that will travel well," said as he reached for his wallet.

Is this a name we recognize? Is she a known quantity in the magical underground or demimonde?

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:02 pm
by jp1885
  Hmm... Try a Magic or Occult roll. On a Hard success you might have picked up the name during your training.  

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:37 am
by Snapper

Skipper is lurking in the background. He makes eye contact with Des, Jordan and Eli, raising an eyebrow. Speaking quietly, he says, "Shears for his lady's lovely garden? Umm...?" He rubs his stubbly goatee absently.

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan nods in return to Skipper. "Interesting times indeed, Ms. Flowers," he says. "Has business been good lately?"

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
Walking jn behind everyone else, Eli casts his eyes around the shop. "My isn't this quaint?" He mumbles to himself. Thinking that when he can je should ask Jordan more about this red moss.
1d100

1d100
OOC:   Sweet mary mother of god!  

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:06 am
by Philulhu

Des looked about, slightly bemused by it all. Very few of the people she knew growing up had gardens or even outside space. She knew a few lads interested in the propagation of plants but they were the type which would have the Police kicking doors in, rather than people going, ‘Ooh, ain’t that pretty…’

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:20 pm
by jp1885
"I'll take shears to you in a minute young man!" snaps Maud, clearly unimpressed by Skipper's quip. She shakes her head at Des and Izzy. "Men eh?"

She shakes her head sadle before focussing her gaze on Leo. "Molly - heh, yeah that's the one," she chuckles "Always asking after my chillies, as if I'd have any spare!"

She turns to Eli, blocking his view of the till.

"Quaint? I prefer 'artisan' - everything's artizan nowadays isn't it? No reason why a garden centre should be artisan too."

To Jordan, she tilts her head.

"Now why would the Isaacs be interested in my business? We Flowers have been growing plants for the discerning customer for generations and we've never broken the agreement. Well, not as you'd notice anyway. So are you buying or is there sommat else you want?"

"The interesting stuff's round they back young lady,"
she says to Des.

Everyone else can make a Sense Vestigia roll if they like.  

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:41 pm
by Philulhu

Des glanced at the old woman quizzically. Did she just read her mind?! Gazing at Maud suspiciously, she nevertheless craned her neck to look beyond the old woman to see what was found the back…

Sense Vestigia (60%) 1d100

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:35 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 673 times
"We are definitely buying. I would love to have a pot plant for Molly and for me mum," Leo said. "Something nice. Something that travels well."

OOC:   If it makes any difference, remember we decided I studied with Varvara.  
Magic (70/45): 1d100

Observation (60/30): 1d100

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Oh, Isaacs didn't ask," says Jordan. "I was just making conversation."

Sense Vestigia roll (30% base skill) in the flower shop:
d%
Observation roll (70% skill) in the flower shop:
d%

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:45 am
by Trivun

Izzy starts out mildly surprised at the fact that the establishment is run by someone clearly of the demi-monde, but the surprise passes quickly as she thinks that it makes perfect sense. After all, the strange liquid found with Karl's stuff clearly came from here, going by the letters on the bottle, so of course there must be something other than mundane here.

She allows herself a quick smile at the "men, eh?" comment, before responding. "DC Izzy Cooper, it's a pleasure. Don't worry, we're not interested in the... 'other' stuff you mentioned."

Izzy can't help but think about her brother for a few seconds, although she normally gives him a heads up before visiting to make sure any 'herbal remedies' are discreetly removed before she arrives. Not exactly within the rules, but family is family, after all.

"If you have catnip then I'll gladly pay another visit when we're not on a case, I can get a treat for Freya. But for now, we're looking into something else."

She gestures to Sgt. Dhillon, asking her to produce the evidence bag containing the bottle found in the late Chichester's kitchen, with the small amount of mysterious fluid inside. "Does this look familiar to you at all, ma'am?"

All the while, she keeps a sharp eye, ear and nose out for anything else in the atmosphere...

Sense Vestigia - 60%  
1d100

Magic - 60%  
1d100

Observation - 60%  
1d100
  Spend 5 points of Luck to turn that into a success...  

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:55 am
by Snapper

Skipper is largely trying to stay at the back and keep out of the way.

"It's not like I have any objection to shears for lovely ladies' gardens, I have no real preferences, neutral as Switzerland," he can be heard to mutter.

30% 1d%

Fail.  

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:21 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Ok, very artisan. It does have its own uniqueness" Eli says with a smile, " Do you work.here alone?

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:57 am
by Philulhu

Des glared at Skipper. She knew exactly which ‘ladies gardens’ he was referring to…

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:22 am
by Snapper

Skipper returns glare-fire at Des. He hooks a thumb in the general direction of the plant nursery and hoarsely (but completely illogically) whispers, "At least I've eaten a green vegetable more than once in my entire life. And hot chips don't count."

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:34 pm
by Philulhu

”Yams an’ rice an’ peas!” snapped Des, listing three staples of the Jamaican diet.

”U got any more lazy racial stereotypes?”

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:09 am
by Snapper

"Lazy racial stereotype?!" Skipper splutters, still trying to be quiet but somewhat failing. "You're from north London, for God's sake! And yams and rice are not green by the way. I don't think they're even vegetables."

"A lazy racial stereotype would be to say that Spock over there," he hooks the pointer thumb at the weird fairy hippy shopkeep as he continues to whisper loudly, "Has repressed emotions and a fondness for logic."

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:55 am
by jp1885
Des and Skipper - you hear a not so subtle sigh from behind you, and find yourselves ushered outside by Sergeant Dhillon.

“I don’t know how you Folly lot are trained, but Surrey Police officers save their arguments for the briefing room, not in front of the general public!”

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:37 am
by Snapper

Skipper gives a grunt of amusement. Then he pokes his - ever useful - thumb at himself. "First off, I'm a civilian contractor, not a bobby, I don't take orders. I act on direction."

The pointer thumb then flicks towards the shop. "Second, unless you are blind, you will have realised that is not an ordinary member of the public in there."

"And finally, and I say this from the bottom of my heart," the thumb is directed to Des, " She started it. And I will die in a ditch before I admit rice is a vegetable."

"Buuut, in the interests of you not going well taser crazy on me, I shall go explore the nursery grounds." Skipper turns and heads into the nursery proper to have a butcher's, secretly hoping no complaints will be made to the current supplier of his salary.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:59 am
by Trivun

As the others argue, Izzy resists the urge to say something, but inside she channels her best Lucy Stillman impression.

Really? This is what you guys are doing?

To the shopkeeper, she's a bit more professional. "Um... sorry you had to see that, we're normally a lot more focused. As I was saying... does this ring any bells?"

She does her best to draw attention away from the bickering civvies and back to the evidence bag with the small bottle inside, taken from the sergeant to show to Maud Flowers.

Roll results as well?  

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:23 pm
by jp1885
  Results coming soon with a more comprehensive update. Just wanted to nip that argument in the bud first :)  

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:28 pm
by jp1885
Maud Flowers' vestigia (the feel of sticky sap, the smell of peat and bright floral colours) is reasonably strong, now that she is closer, but you also detect something else. It's difficult to put your finger on, but there's definately another source of strong vestigia somewhere behind the shop.

Looking around, you notice a back door that leads out to yard of some kind. It's difficult to see any further, due to the profusion of plants and shrubs that appear to fill the area.

On a shelf behind the till are a number of ring binders. An old framed Polaroid photo sits on the desk next to the till. It features a younger Maud, a thirty-something male and a young boy. The latter pair are the spitting image of Maud: short, squat and a round face with pointed ears, sharp nose.

Interestingly, you've read about a Flowers family while studying an old magic almanac. It appears that they are a green-fingered demi-monde family of some repute among certain circles - known for their ability to grow and supply all sorts of plants, some of strange provenance.

Maud chuckles at the kerfuffle, shaking her head.

"Ah, young 'uns - always in such a hurry to disagree with each other..."

"To answer your questions: yes, I run the shop alone nowadays - I hire a Saturday girl from one of the nearby villages if it gets busy. A plant that travels well? Perhaps a peace lily, given the circumstances? Catnip? Yeah, I've got some growing somewhere. Probably with the lilies - catnip plants like wet, boggy soil."
she says, beady eyes twinkling.

If you have the skill, please make a Science (Botany) roll. If you don't, you're welcome to use the Try Your Luck mechanism and spend 10 luck to roll against half your INT.  
You know full well that Catnip plants prefer well-drained soil. Maud is clearly testing you!

When Izzy produces the container, Maud studies it for a second.

"Hmm, yeah, this came from here - I use 'em to store plant feed, weedkiller and the like. How did you come across it? I got plenty more in the shed - perhaps this one got lost or nicked. Can I have it back?" she asks, matter-of-factly.

Please make a Read Person roll.  
Maud is clearly feigning disinterest in the container.

Meanwhile, outside, Sgt. Dhillon rolls her eyes as Skipper heads off to the rear. In an uncannily accurate impression, she jerks her thumb to the shop.

"C'mon Des, let's get back inside."

Strolling around to the back of the shop, Skipper finds himself in a back yard - another scruffy patch of hardstanding, on which a profusion of lush, healthy-looking pot-plants and shrubs sit on rickety wooden benches and trellis tables.

Again, you're welcome to make a Science (Botany) skill test or Try Your Luck.  
Some of the plants are difficult to grow in the British climate, but seem to be thriving here.

Behind these are a number of neglected-looking opaque greenhouses, collapsing sheds and battered polytunnels. A large ‘Danger!’ sign is affixed to one large, padlocked, greenhouse.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:28 pm
by Philulhu

Des followed Sgt. Dhillon back inside. Seeing Izzy’s look, she stared back unapologetically and said, ”Him were bein’ an arsehole!”

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100

" I'm afraid you can't have it back yet, shouldn't be a problem.thoigh should it? Like you say, you've plenty of ones just like it. Maybe your Saturday girl left it and was taken or she may have given it in good faith. What's her name?" Eli replies, notingthe tell tale signs of someone trying not to seem too interested in an item. He's been teaching for far too long and been to enough auctions and antique fairs to know the signs.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
While Jordan knows a lot about biology, he hasn't specifically studied botany, and he doesn't know much about these plants. He glances at the photo on the counter. "Your family?" he asks Maud.

Read Person roll (60% skill) about Maud:
d%
Spending 10 Luck to Try my Luck at Science(Botany) (INT 70% / 2 = 35% stat):
d%

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:25 am
by Trivun

Izzy simply looks at Des. "I don't care who started it, arsehole or not, we're ending it now!"

Damn, I'm only twenty-two, when did I start acting like a mum?

As for Maud, she keeps a firm grip on the evidence bag, unwilling to hand it over. "Sorry, but this is evidence in an ongoing case, so it has to stay with us. When our inquiries are over, assuming it's not required for trial, then you can get it back in accordance with the Surrey Police policy on evidence retention."

Try Your Luck for the Science (Botany) - INT/2 = 40%  
1d100
  Read Person: 60%  
1d100

Although she doesn't sense any dishonesty up front, Izzy can clearly sense the presence of vestigia further back. Not too surprising given that the place is clearly a hotbed of magical activity, as befits such a noted family.

"Just out of interest, do you tend to get much local business, outside the demi monde? I'd have thought the big garden centre up the road would take most of the local custom."

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:42 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Leo tries to maintain a steady demeanor as his colleagues become more argumentative. He's seen similar arguments devolve into fisticuffs back when he was making the rounds, and he'd prefer that not happen here. At least they're sober.

"I agree. A peace lily sounds perfect," Leo replies as he reaches for his wallet.

Read Person (60/30): 1d100

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:42 pm
by Philulhu

Des tutted and rolled her eyes at being told off by Izzy but didn’t push it any further.

She looked around and yawned, quite bored by all the talking.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:01 am
by Snapper

Skipper gravitates to the greenhouse with the "danger" signage and tries to see in through the windows, giving them a wipe with a sleeve even, to clear the London grime.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:27 pm
by jp1885
Upon Eli's and Izzy's emphatic refusal to hand over the container, Maud leans back, arms folded.

"Like that is it? I see. I don't see why who I employ is any concern of yours - they're just girls from around the local area who mind the till occasionally for a bit of pocket money. I have a life outside of the business you know!"

She stops, perhaps realising how she's reacting, and takes a deep breath.

"Can I at least inspect my container? If you can't tell what's in it, maybe I can. I promise to give it back."

When Jordan points out the photo, Maud's face seems to crumple.

"Yeah, that's me, my boy Derek and his boy Barry - my grandson. My Derek isn't around any more and Barry... well, let's just say Flowers men are like sheep - stubborn, stupid and easily led. That's why I need a Saturday girl now and then - Barry's off planting his own bed."

"As for business - yeah, them up the road get most of the normal punters. Flowers Fields caters for those who want something a little special. Not illegal mind you - I stick to the agreement! My chillis for example - got a very exclusive customer for them, despite what Molly might think!"

Grinning, she waves away Leo's wallet.

"Put your money away son - I'll pick one out and have it sent to the Folly. Take it as a gesture of good faith that I'm still sticking to the agreement. Tell The Nightingale that, while I might be growing 'em (I can't not), I ain't selling 'em!"

Skipper - Even after wiping away the grime, it's difficult to see inside the greenhouse. Green leaves press against the glass, dripping with condensation that obscures whatever is inside.

Mooching around the front, the lock that secures the sliding door looks solid enough, but the clasp that holds it in place is anything but. Screwed inepexpertly into a rotting wooden door frame, it looks like a hard sneeze could pop it out.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:12 pm
by Snapper

Skipper takes the opportunity to fish a cigar out of his jacket and zippo-light it up, safely away from other people's lungs.

He rummages around in a side pocket of his backpack and produces a small 'Leatherman' multi-tool. Selecting the appropriate screwdriver option, he quickly unscrews the clasp, trying to look casual and fighting the urge to cast furtive glances over his shoulder.

If the clasp comes off, Skipper will slide the door open a hand-span to look in.  

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:48 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Here's mine," says Jordan, taking a photo out of his wallet and showing it to her. "The beautiful blonde in the middle is my wife, Sarah. The boy is my son, Robert, and the little girl is my daughter, Caroline. They're still at home with me, but they do grow up so fast. Robert will be driving before I know it, and not long after that he'll be off to uni."

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Are the Flowers men as gifted as you are in the horticulture department?" Eli asks.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:50 am
by Trivun

Izzy responds as calmly as she can, though inside she's pretty annoyed.

"There's no need to get snippy, I'm just trying to make sure that the evidence we have is secure."

She glances at Sgt. Dhillon to hopefully get the thumbs up for this before continuing. "You can have a look, but it needs to stay sealed inside the evidence bag, hopefully you can tell what's inside from there."

She chooses not to state that if Maud were to open the bag and take the bottle out to inspect it, then the shopkeeper could expect to be arrested there and then and charged with tampering with evidence and possibly perverting the course of justice. Izzy hopes that those facts would be obvious enough to anyone.

The matter of the evidence hopefully sorted, Izzy softens a little, and smiles, pointing out that she'll be back in a few days anyway as a customer, to pick up some catnip for Freya, switching off from the whole 'serious cop' routine. Besides, she reckons Jordan is doing better anyway at being the friendly sort trying to ingratiate himself with the member of the public.

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:57 pm
by Philulhu

Des mooched around the shop, gazing around, waiting for the hours to pass so she could go home…

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:56 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Leo hesitates before putting his wallet back in his pocket. He remembers the training they got from Peter about not accepting food or drink while a guest of a member of the demi-monde, and this seems close enough to that to refuse. Better safe than sorry.

He continues and pulls out his RBS debit card. "That's very kind of you, but I insist." He placed the card in front of the till. "No hard feelings, I hope."

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:38 pm
by jp1885
Skipper - the clasp falls to the ground with a clonk, allowing you to slide the door open a little. A waft of warm, exotically scented air hits you as you gingerly poke your hand in. It feels warm and moist inside and mercifully bereft of giant carnivorous plant jaws - so far at least...

Leo - Maud nods at your refusal, wryly impressed at your knowledge of etiquette.

"Oh, we don't go for that glamour nonsense 'round here," she says, taking the payment. "Still, if you insist - no hard feelings indeed. Pick one up when you leave or I can have one delivered."

Jordan - Maud grins a grandmotherly grin at the photo of the Schneider family.

"Aw! Ain't that nice! They're a credit to you I'm sure. You keep hold of them - don't let them go a-wandering."

Eli - She turns to you, eye's pained.

"Yeah, Flowers men are as good at growing stuff as Flowers women - just more flighty when they gets an idea into their heads. Take my grandson Barry: He’s so gullible and trusting – silly bugger – that I’m surprised he hasn’t already gone bust. It’s only a matter of time ‘til he comes back to the fold. At least he’s not like his dozy father – went looking for saplings in places he shouldn’t have and never came back…"

Des - Your mooching takes you to the back door, Looking out you see Skipper messing around by a large greenhouse.

Izzy - Nodding in thanks, Maud take the container from you. Without opening the evidence bag, she peers through the plastic before taking a deep sniff. Suddenly, her beady eyes widen and a flash of anger and worry crosses her face. She quickly glances out of the back door to the greenhouses beyond before thrusting the container back at you.

"Anyway, I mustn't detain you any longer," she says hurriedly. "You'll be wanting to carry on with whatever it is you're doing I expect."

She begins to flap her arms, like a farmer's wife ushering out some recalcitrant hens from a coop.

Hmm, looks like it'll take a Social roll to get anything more out of old Maud...  

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"What kind of business is your son drawn to?" Eli asks, before noticing Maud's change in demeanour, "So what do make of the bottle? Can you shed any light on its contents. It is a most unusual substance. Perhaps you can offer some transparency on its origins?"
OOC:   If i rwad it right Eli is a silver tongued devil...so when teying to persuade i can use a bonus die on my social roll......gulp  

1d100
1d10
  Thank christ...could've been embarrassing...  

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Thank you," says Jordan, putting the picture away again. He turns to the others. "I'm wondering about the Saturday girl. Is it possible she could have made an unauthorised sale, perhaps without even knowing what she was doing?"

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:09 am
by Snapper

"Hmmm." Skipper is both relieved and slightly disappointed not to find something triffid-like. Or Audrey demanding feeding...

He pulls his old film camera out, quickly sets it to shortest distance focus, then holds it one-handed through the door and takes a shot. Skipper pulls the camera back, winds it on efficiently then continues quickly taking photos left, right, centre, up and down, trying to cover everything.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:18 pm
by jp1885
A luck roll, if you please.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:54 pm
by Snapper

1d%L56%

Hard Success.  

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:36 pm
by Philulhu

Des watched Skipper as he took some one-handed photos in one of the greenhouses. For some reason it reminded her of a scene in an old film that her dad liked. What was the name of the film again? Some secret agent with wonky teeth? Oh yeah, Austin Powers… …

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:14 am
by Trivun

As Maud takes the bag, Izzy notes the reference to her family. "When you say 'saplings in places he shouldn't have', do you mean that literally, or metaphorically?"

She's thinking of the time when Peter Grant took a trip to the land of the Fae in Herefordshire. And the time after that, with the cars.

She doesn't fail to spot the reaction to the evidence bag when Maud takes a sniff. However, she doesn't say anything more for now - no sense antagonising the public! Instead, she gives a rather meaningful glance to Jordan and Eli to see if they can wheedle something out of the older woman...

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:45 am
by jp1885
Skipper - After snapping away for a while, you withdraw the camera. It is soaking wet, but appears to be undamaged - perhaps a little fogging around the edge of the lens, but this quickly fades away in the cooler air.

Everyone else - On the verge of ushering you out of the shop, Maud pauses - something in the tone of Eli's voice calming her down.

Shoulders slumped in defeat, she sighs at izzy.

"Literally! Some of the plants we grow here aren't from the mundane world..."

Overhearing Jordan's statement, she shakes her head emphatically.

"No. They're good girls - they know better than to sell anything... different... without asking me first."

She turns to Eli.

"As I said - my son ain't around no more. But my grandson Barry... despite having no head for figures, the silly bugger has branched out his own - 'Greenthumb Gardening Services' would you believe? He rents a flat near Lime Grove in Guildford. He keeps a small allotment there, from where he runs his 'business' - if you can call it that; he's only managed to keep one client! And as for that stuff..."

She pokes a finger at the container.

“Smells like Demon Flower sap. Dangerous plants Demon Flowers – magical and very rare mind you. The juice can turn things invisible, but it melts your brain if you get any on you. Difficult buggers to grow – the only one I’ve ever known to get them to flourish is Barry…"

Her face falls.

"Oh no, what’s he got himself into?”

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:36 pm
by Trivun

And there it is.

"Melts your brain... by which you mean hyperthaumaturgical degradation." It's not a question, but a statement of fact.

Immediately Izzy switches tack, and the expression on her face is one of sympathy and concern, trying to empathise with the shopkeeper. "We promise, Barry's not in any trouble, but we think somebody's had a nasty accident with this stuff, and they're... no longer with us. We just want to make sure that nobody else ends up being hurt by the sap."

The implication in her tone is one of of course Barry's going to be fine, he didn't know someone would get hurt, after all, you don't arrest the manager at Asda when someone drinks bleach, do you? She glances at Sgt. Dhillon as well, trying to communicate non-verbally, make sure Forensics know not to touch the sap, although she's certain that common sense would ensure they don't do so anyway. For all they know the trace remains of fluid in evidence could be acid...

"Do you know who Barry's one client is that he's managed to keep?"

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:39 am
by Snapper

Skipper frowns and gives his camera a quick wipe with a handkerchief before stashing it away in his backpack. He slides the door shut again and does his best to at least temporarily push the fallen clasp back into place. As long as it looks about right is all he's aiming for.

As soon as he can, Skipper will start stalking back towards the others.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"That makes a lot of sense," says Jordan. He has a good idea who the client was, but he waits for Maud to confirm it. "It explains how someone who isn't a practitioner can get HTD."

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
Turning to Jordan , Eli quietly says"So direct contact can lead to THD, then spraying his entire body with it I'd think would be a fatal dose. The question is was he told that? Or did he ignore any advice he was given?" Facing Maud he asks gently, How does Barry advertise his business? Do you have any business cards?
A thought suddenly strikes him. "Detective Cooper, when we searched the victims car, in the boot we found some of the spilt contents of the spray. If it as dangerous to the touch as we have been told, then maybe we should warn the forensics team, or anyone who will be searching the car!"

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:57 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Leo listens to all of the conversation. His debit card is still out. He still wants a peace lily (or two), and when it looks like Maud is about to eject the entire group, he plants his feet hard.

He looks over at Jordan. "But there was a powerful vestigia there in the changing area of the leisure centre. Literally blew me out of the room, and I am literally using literally correctly this time. Knocked me on my arse. Someone did something there."

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:43 pm
by jp1885
Maud's head switches back and forth as you discuss the case.

"I wouldn't take one of his stupid cards. I didn't approve of Barry going off on his own but I let him do it - it's the only way he'll learn about failure - or so I thought! He did manage to make a website though - he was very pleased with himself about that."

"He also got very excited about his client - some motoring bloke off the telly. Barry always liked cars - not that he could ever afford one. He was a bugger behind the wheel of the van though! He idolised this bloke - silly bugger started wearing jeans and a leather jacket and such - even when he was gardening."

"HTD? That's what you lot call brain-melt eh? What's vestigia? Oh - you mean the smell?"
She nods at Izzy and Leo. "Like what you two have. Yeah, Demon Flower sap would leave a smell wherever it was sprayed - even if it was watered down, which you'd need to do to spray it over yourself."

She chuckles grimly.

"Lemme guess - you found someone dead who'd done just that? Wouldn't be the first time it's been tried - wouldn't be the last time someone died. That's why we don't sell Demon Flowers - we just grows 'em in-"

She stops and slaps her forehead.

"I bet the bugger took one from the greenhouse!"

With a surprising turn of speed, she bustles through the rear door of the shop, almost sending a returning Skipper sprawling.

Meanwhile, looking rather alarmed, Sgt. Dhillon contacts the Forensics department to warn them about the substance.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:11 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Leo yelps when he sees the woman move surprisingly quickly toward her greenhouse. He chases after her with his debit card out in front of him, presenting it like Van Helsing with his crucifix. "I'm not leaving without that peace lily, Ms. Flowers."

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:20 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan follows too, determined to check out the scene.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:33 am
by Snapper

Skipper, still clenching half a smouldering cigar between his teeth, grunts and jumps out of the way. He assumes he's been rumbled but waits to see. As the 'News of the Week' used to tell them, deny everything.

To Jordan, Leo and anyone else following the portly little Vulcan, he points out the greenhouse with the 'danger' sign. "Nothing moving in it that I can hear. No angry plants."

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:32 am
by Trivun

As the events unfurl rapidly, Izzy cannot believe what she's seeing and hearing.

"By Loki, are you fucking kidding me right now? This is what you're most concerned with? How the hell am I the sane adult in the room, of all people? No offence," she gives a quick apologetic glance at Eli and Des.

Okay, fine, Jordan is too, and Skipper's only just returned, but as to her fellow police officer - he's meant to be responsible...

She looks towards Sgt. Dhillon, and her words are rapid - true, the sergeant may outrank her, but this is a Falcon case and she'll gladly assume jurisdiction. "Sarge, Eli's right. Make sure nobody, nobody, touches that sap. And we need an action on HOLMES2, get a PC to check out Will Grimes, the guy off the telly. Sounds like he's our Barry's mystery client. Oh, and another action on there, someone to check on Barry Flowers' last known address, Maud said it was in Guildford, we need to make sure he's not gone anywhere before we can talk to him. And Des! See what's on that website that Barry set up, might be useful info!"

She can update her notes later, but for now, Izzy starts racing on to the back, following in the wake of Maud and Leo. Damn the peace lily...

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:19 am
by Snapper

Skipper, regaining his balance just outside the shop, is torn between watching Izzy melt down and seeing what Spock's grandma is up to. While the melt down is entertaining, he can't really go inside while still smoking his cigar, so decides to follow the procession in the nursery.

To everyone and no-one in particular, in a slightly louder voice he asks, "What was that about don't touch the sap...? Asking for a friend."

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:02 am
by Philulhu

Des’ thumbs danced across the screen of her phone, searching for ‘Barry Flowers’, ‘Demon Flower Sap’ and ‘Will Grimes’ but just found herself overloaded with photos of a boomer in a leather jacket, poncing round with a range of different high-end cars.

She rolled her eyes. It wasn’t going her way…

I’m assuming that’s research is the relevant skill (30%) 1d100

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"The stuff we found was made from the sap of one of the plants in the greenhouse," says Jordan. "If you get it on your skin, or the stuff itself, you'll end up with cauliflower brain. That's what happened to the deceased."

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:54 am
by Snapper

"Interesting," Skipper says, reflexively studying his right hand. He looks back at Jordan. "Please tell me the first symptom is you turn invisible."

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"I don't know the order of symptoms," says Jordan. "We'd have to ask the deceased, and while maybe we could, that's probably more trouble than it's worth. I'd recommend immediate dilution in water in the event of exposure. Lots of water. The best way to tell would be the smell, like we smelled before." He sniffs to see if Skipper smells the same. "The plants in question are called Demon Flowers, but I don't know how they're supposed to look. I'm sure Ms. Flowers does, though."

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:12 pm
by jp1885
If Sergeant Dhillon is annoyed by Izzy breaking rank, she doesn't show it.

"Already on it," she whispers, covering the mouthpiece of her radio. "I've warned Forensics not to touch the substance and that it's a Falcon case."

After finishing her call to Forensics, she contacts a Case Progression Officer, actioning someone to look into Will Grimes and also find Barry Flowers' last known address.

"There, sorted - sounds pretty simple so they shouldn't take long."

Des finds nothing about Demon Flowers, save some weird Japanese anime reference. Of Will Grimes, you discover nothing that you don't already know - he's a a middle-aged motoring journalist and TV presenter. Known for his forthright and often controversial opinions and a darling of the right-of-centre press. He most recently hit the headlines after allegedly assaulting a runner while filming his latest TV show - a television version of his 'Drive with Grimes' podcast.

On the plus side, you do find Barry Flowers' amateurish website – a single garish page festooned with bright flowers. It declares “Gardener to the stars! All types of gardening work undertaken.” Under this is a gap, indicating a broken link to a removed photo. There is a mobile phone number and an address (a flat on Lime Grove, Guildford).

"Peace Lilies are over there by the portaloos!" Maud Flowers exclaims, pointing to a corner of the yard as she bustles onwards.

Ignoring your conversations, arguments and such, she pulls at the door to the greenhouse marked with a 'danger' sign, tutting at Skipper as the padlock bracket clatters to the ground.

"Silly bugger - could've lost your hand," she exclaims. "Lucky for you the Gluevines have been fed today."

She wrenches it open, causing you to reel as a heady mix of various strong vestigias spills out of the gap alongside a burst of heat and humidity.

Ambling quickly inside, she disappears into the lush greenery within before returning, slightly damper, carrying a... something shimmery... in a flowerpot.
  Please make a POW roll.  

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:20 pm
by Philulhu

POW (70%) 1d100

Edit: Realised I’d put CON instead of POW so changed that now. The value’s the same so I still passed.

Des’ nose wrinkled and she stared at the pot suspiciously. ”Wot’s dat, den?” she asked with a frown.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:58 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 718 times

"Thank you, ma'am," he says, "I shall choose a few before departing." Leo knows that if he successfully gets a plant back home, both Molly and his father are both green thumbs and can take it from there. He continues to pursue, but slips the debit card in a pocket.

Leo knows better than to go charging into the greenhouse so he keeps a cautious distance. just in case a trivet of triffids charge through. Triffids are sneaky buggers and should never be underestimated.

POW 80/40: 1d100

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:21 am
by Snapper

"Glue vines? Any relation to triffids?"

1d%p55%

Failed impressively.  

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Oh, smeg..." says Jordan as he nears the greenhouse.

POW roll (30% stat) approaching the greenhouse:
d%

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:40 am
by BoyBlunder78
  Mops brow...  
1d100

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:10 am
by Trivun

Izzy gives an apologetic look to Sgt. Dhillon as she pegs it out the back door. She doesn't mean to be stepping on anyone's toes - the other woman outranking her anyway, and this being outside the nominal jurisdiction of the Met - but it is a Falcon case after all, and since Izzy is the only Falcon-qualified officer not currently obsessing over a potted plant (well, a non-lethal plant at least)...

At the mention of Gluevines, her first thought is of the annual Christmas fair at Hyde Park - the Winter Wonderland - and gluhwein, spicy mulled wine served hot and steaming. She shakes her head quickly, before focusing on the vestigia bursting forth from the open greenhouse door...

POW roll: 60%  
1d100
  Oof - spending 7 Luck if permitted, to make that a success...  

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:18 am
by jp1885
  Sure, spending Luck is actively encouraged!  

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:02 pm
by jp1885
Whatever Maud is carrying in the pot, it's impossible to focus on - shifting and shimmering in and out of your vision.

Growing in Maud's pot is a small flowering plant. It shimmers and shifts, but with effort you are able to focus on it. It has silvery-green leaves, a transparent stalk and a flower with gossamer, rainbow-sheen petals.

"This is a Demon Flower - the juice in that container came from one of these. We had a few growing in the greenhouse but this is the only one left. That stupid bugger of a grandson must've taken the rest when he moved out. What I don't understand is why?"

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:22 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Wow! I've never aeen anything soo.unique." gushes Eli.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:13 am
by Philulhu

”’E musta tekken it for a reason,” said Des ”Wot can u use it for?”

”U kno wot dey say ‘bout men an’ cars,” she said after a moment’s further thought. ”D’ya tink da bloke off the telly had a tiny cock an’ needed sum ‘elp? ’E looks de type…”

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"I can't really see what it looks like," says Jordan, "but its sap is used to make that liquid we found. That's my guess as to why he wanted them."

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:47 am
by Snapper

"Anchor spreadable," Skipper mutters. Acting on instinct, he pulls his camera out and takes a few photos of the demon plant. Or at least the pot it is supposed to be in. "That could make for a very weird photo."

"So naughty Vulcan grandson nicks a few of these plants. Which he uses to make Bilbo Baggins juice. Then what? He sells to someone to pass onto would-be invisible perverts and ghost car enthusiasts?"

"So, I'm guessing we go find grandson, find out who the next link in the chain is? And bag any extra jugs of juice we find in grandson's backroom stores."

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Miss Flowers,is there an antidote or neutralising agent for the sap?" Asks Eli.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:33 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Yeah, I think that's our next stop," says Jordan.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:51 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 602 times

Once Leo is certain there are no attack triffids on duty, he proceeds into the greenhouse. While he can't focus on the plant, it's clear there is something supernatural about it. While he knows better than to trust any members of the demi-monde, he is beginning to feel at ease around Maud.

He looks around the greenhouse and entrance to see if there are any CCTV cameras, mostly out of habit.

"Yes, I agree. We need to know what he's up to before his plan proceeds any further. But not before I make a few purchases from Miss Flowers," he says as he eyes the greenhouse for more mundane affairs.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:55 pm
by jp1885
Inside the greenhouse it is hot and humid, with moisture dripping off the glass walls. But this isn't the first thing that attracts your attention...

Nor is it the profusion of lush, brightly coloured plants, crowded and crammed together either side of a sandy path that snakes through the vegetation...

No, it is the relentless blast of vestigia that assaults your senses - a bewildering cacophony of sounds, smells, impressions and visions that swirl around you, sending you reeling!

Please consider yourself as Impaired (you fumble on a 90+) and make a DEX check.  

Maud cackles at Des' remark.

"Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me!"

Her broad smile suddenly drops as she glares as Skipper.

"Barry would never sell Demon Flower sap - even he isn't that stupid!"

She ponders Eli's question for a second.

"Antidote? Not that I know of - the invisibility wears off after a while, or so I gather - there's no recovering from a melted brain though. I suppose the nearest thing to an antidote would be Tomtemoss - eating a handful of that makes you see things that don't want to be seen. Very hard to find mind - the only place I know where it grows 'round here is near the dead sailor in the Devil’s Punch Bowl."

She turns to the greenhouse, just as Leo walks in.

"There's a little bit growing in there too - red stuff. Your friend will find it... if he comes out..."

At around this point, the Case progression Unit calls back, confirming Maud's assertation that Barry does indeed live a Lime Grove, Guildford. They're having difficulty getting any information about Will Grimes, other than he lives in a farmhouse somewhere around the nearby village of Hindhead.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:45 pm
by Philulhu

”Are we done ‘ere, then?” asked Des, suddenly bored with garden centre. ”We gunna see this Smallwood bloke off the telly?”

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"This Tomtemoss must be the moss we found in the stomach of the deceased," says Jordan. "Looks like it didn't work for him."

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:05 am
by Snapper

Skipper watches Leo's progress with - at best - mild interest. "Watch out for the alleged glue vines then."

"Oi, Voodoo Child, I assume we're doing Barry first, but I might even be able to narrow down Grimes' home address for afters. That said, as I don't want to melt my phone, let me know when it's safe to turn it on."

He looks over at Jordan and Granny Legolas. "What's the thinking with the red antidote stuff? Chichester wouldn't want to take it while he's invisible and perving at naked gym junkies, would he? Wouldn't it make the spray-on magic potion stop working? Or does it do something different?"

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:15 pm
by jp1885
“You misunderstand me,” replies Maud. “The Tomtemoss isn’t an antidote, it just allows you to see invisible things. If this fella had eaten some, it was so he could see himself - or something else that’s invisible.”

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:46 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"See himself....or something..or someone else? Could be some new version of hide and seek?" Eli mentions in jest....partly.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:58 pm
by Philulhu

Des’ frowned. The old woman wasn’t making a lot of sense… … ”Wot else in invisible?” she asked. Then it occurred to her. ”U talkin’ ‘bout ghosts?” she said.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Or racing invisible cars," says Jordan. "I was wondering how they avoided collisions. The moss could explain that. It would let them see each other."

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:14 am
by Philulhu

Des gave Jordan a perplexed look. ”Invisible cars?” she said suspiciously. ”Wot u on about?”

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:04 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 720 times

Suddenly, Leo is mesmerised as the fountain of colors explodes toward him. "My God..." he croaks weakly as he stares into the greenhouse. "It's full of stars..."

DEX 40/20: 1d100

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:50 pm
by Trivun

"Barry's the priority. If he's handling this stuff, then it's vital we get to him and make sure any and all supplies are confiscated."

Izzy isn't sure if there's any precedence for confiscating something like the Demon Flower or its sap, but she's sure she can find something in the regs to chuck at Barry as needed. After all, she's certain that Peter and Nightingale have had to take contraband from the Goblin Markets on previous occasions.

She thinks about the theory from Skipper, and agrees that it holds a lot of weight. "Good thinking, Skip. So if Barry is the supplier, then it looks like the local petrolheads are the buyers. Karl must have figured he could use it for something else as well, and paid the price."

She's still not entirely convinced about the ghost cars theory, but only because they haven't found clear evidence of it yet - basing the idea on Sgt. Dhillon's mentions of the local apparent crank calls to the station. But if it is the right lead after all...

"I wasn't planning to cast anything now unless really needed, so you're probably good to switch your phone back on," Izzy tells Skipper, and the others too if they wish to use their mobiles. "Might want to turn it off again before we arrive though, just in case."

As she speaks, she hears Leo making a 2001 reference. "Damn it Leo, what the hell are you doing in there? It's dangerous!"

Come on mate, you've got a full decade on me, why am I the older sister here?

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:42 am
by Snapper

Skipper grunts acknowledgement. He stashes the old camera and pulls out his phone. Walking well away from the "danger" greenhouse, he turns it on and starts stalking Will 'Grimesy' Grimes, checking everything from social media posted home photos to council rates and taxes for clues to a home address.

1d00250020H0020600025

Skipper will spend 1 point of Luck to make that a Regular Success.  

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"The sergeant got reports of ghost cars," says Jordan. "People heard cars racing at night, but they didn't see anything. I think they were spraying this stuff on their cars so they could race in the streets without being seen, and they used the moss to see each other. That would mean that the dead bloke wasn't the only one with access to it. We're going to need to find out who else got it from Barry."

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:20 am
by BoyBlunder78
So we have..possibly..an underground invisible street racing club?! I wonder if all these random acts of violence are connected? Drivers possibly?" Eli mentions.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:35 pm
by Philulhu

It clicked for Des. Living on the streets, she’d seen enough illegal street races to know what Jordan was talking about. It usually didn’t take long for the Old Bill to turn up, so being invisible would give the drivers a real advantage.

”So where’s dat bloke off de telly come in? He runnin’ de races?” she asked.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Probably, or at least he most likely races in them," says Jordan. "He may be getting the stuff from Barry and then providing it to the other drivers."

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:12 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Jordan maybe right, judging by his TV persona I don't think his ego would let him not be part of that kind of 'scene' and to be the 'Grand Master' of it all would suit him right to the ground." nods Eli as he strokes his beard.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:42 pm
by jp1885
Stunned by the cacophony of different vestigias, you stagger backwards and bump into a tall sunflower with electric blue petals. It rocks slightly on impact before emitting an arc of static. CRACK! The arc earths itself painfully in your body, causing a nasty burn on your arm.

Please take 1 Damage and mark yourself as Hurt.

While you debate your next course of action, you hear a fizzling sound emanating from the greenhouse Leo wandered into, followed by a loud CRACK!

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:41 am
by Snapper

Pausing long enough to lob his phone into the softest looking nearby pot-plant, Skipper starts sprinting towards the danger-greenhouse.

"Oi! Leo! Was that a triffid?! Are you dead?!"

Despite (or because of) his genuine hope that it was a lethally poisonous, aggressive, carnivorous triffid, Skipper will stop at the door of the greenhouse and not immediately enter.  

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:31 am
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 643 times

For the second time today, Leo gets physically blasted backwards by vestigia. The first time, he fell through a clothing rack. This time, he backs through a shelf holding a tall flower, knocking it over and landing on top of it, getting a nasty shock in the process. He was getting beaten up worse by vestigia than he ever did working security for a match. He scrabbles backward on the concrete floor toward the exit, overwhelmed by the rush of colors, closing his eyes in an attempt to regain control of his racing mind.

"It's full of magical flowers," he rasped to Skipper from the ground, eyes still closed. "FULL..."

I was already hurt with 1 damage from earlier from visit to the Leisure Centre, so did that go away at the end of that scene? Or am I bloodied now?

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
Jordan hurries to the greenhouse, looking inside first when he gets there rather than rush into trouble.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:29 am
by jp1885
Oops, I forgot about that! Your first knock has healed, so you’re just Hurt.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:59 pm
by Snapper

Skipper does not step foot one into the greenhouse. He sighs deeply.

"Gordon Bennett! All right, all right, keep your hair on. Just follow my voice and I'll direct you."

"At least you didn't use your flame-thrower spell this time."

Skipper will give Leo 'left, right, other right, straight ahead' type directions. Along with using the actual location of Skipper's voice, Leo should be able to crawl out.  

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:20 pm
by Trivun

Izzy freezes at Skipper's words.

"For the love of Loki, do not start lobbing fireballs in there! The Folly budget is not paying for a brand new garden centre!"

She just about manages to avoid saying "I told you so" as Leo emerges, slightly worse for wear. Instead, she focuses on the theories and evidence so far presented.

"So Will Grimes is definitely on the suspect list. We can check him out, make that a priority action, but Barry's place should be top of the agenda. Securing the plants and sap is vital. And we might find evidence there that ties back to Grimes."

She's ready to go, when the others are, but she can't help but give an exasperated look towards Leo first. Love you to bits, mate, but you really make it difficult sometimes... Like my older brother in Camden, but on the opposite side of the law.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:29 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Leo didn't hesitate to rub his aching, burned arm as he made his way toward Skipper, eyes still closed. He wasn't that proud.

"Yeah, I put that one under lessons learned. Sometimes, I lay awake at night, and all I can think about is how nobody in that town with team with a long storied history of playing skittles can play skittles anymore. I thought it was going to, you know, hit the ghost and stop. I know. I know. It could have been a LOT worse. It could have been people who would never play skittles again if not for my quick-thinking co-workers."

"When I win the lottery, my first purchase is going to be a new skittles hall for Nennington." He grinned, eyes still closed as he inched closer to Skipper and Izzy. "Well, the third purchase."

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:45 pm
by jp1885
Maud cannot conceal her amusement as Leo staggers out of the greenhouse.

"Silly buggers can't read danger signs..." she mutters. "Now if there's nothing else you want from me, it looks like I've got a Stunflower to re-pot."

Skipper - your research on Grimes reveals nothing that you don't already know - his opinions have become more controversial in the last six months, which has raised some eyebrows, but that's about it.

Speaking of which, as you all debate your next course of action, Sgt. Dhillon gets a call. In what is a decidedly one-sided conversation, the colour drains from her face...

"Yes sir, I- of course sir. R-right away sir."

Tongue-lashing over, she turns to you, sour-faced.

"That was the guv'nor. He's told me in no uncertain terms to keep our noses out of Will Grimes' business. Seems like the guy's got friends in high places."

So, what would you like to do next?  

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Once Leo believes it's safe to do so, he opens his eyes, still rubbing his smarting arm. Then he picks out a couple of peace lilies to take home. He purposely picks one for his father that needs some TLC. Dad needs as many projects as possible, given how out of sorts he's been about Leo's mum's decline. The one for Molly is a little more presentable. You never can earn too many extra points with the person who packs your lunch.

He presents his debit card, insisting on paying. "Please, ma'am," he says.

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:02 am
by Philulhu

”’E gotta bent copper in ‘is pocket?” said Des. ”Dey all de same….”

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:59 am
by Snapper

Skipper quickly retrieves his phone, wiping the dirt and greenery off it.

Barry, surely.  

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"Are you hurt bad?" Jordan asks Leo, getting his first aid kit ready. "I can help. Of course, the guv didn't order us to leave Grimes alone, and he's not our boss."

Agreed.

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:42 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 543 times

"I got zapped pretty hard by one of those plants," he replied. "It felt electric, though. Not magical. I would have to slip off my jacket and roll up my sleeve for you to get a good look. But I should be good to go, Doc. Thank you for asking. I really appreciate it."

OOC:   When I typed "look around" for camera," I meant swivel my head than walk around, but I am happy with the outcome. This is funnier and seems on brand for Leo.  

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:48 pm
by jp1885
Rolling her eyes, Maud takes payment for the peace lilies.

“Mind how you go, and make sure my Barry isn’t in any trouble!” she orders.

Sgt. Dhillon grunts at Jordan’s statement.

“You reckon your boss hasn’t had the same call? I can’t order you to lay off Grimes, but I’ll be damned if I’m giving any more actions to my lot.”

She sighs loudly and heads back to her car.

Off to Barry’s pad next eh? New thread coming soon…  

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:24 pm
by Trivun

Izzy can't help but shake her head at Leo still obsessing over the damn peace lilies, but she holds her tongue. Still, she's not carrying them around for him. He can leave them in the back of the sergeant's police car instead.

She frowns noticeably, however, at the news about Grimesy.

"Look, I can't tell the rest of you to not go after Grimes, you're civilian contractors so strictly speaking you're free to do what you want off the clock. But I can't risk my career for the sake of one guy, no matter how much of a tosser he is."

She glances at Leo, not willing to speak on his behalf when he's more than capable of doing so himself, but expecting he'll say the same thing. However, a hint of a smile suddenly grows at the corner of her lips.

"That said... we answer to the Nightingale. And if he gives us instructions, then we're only following the chain of command. And since he's part of the Met, and the good sergeant here is Surrey Police... well, different jurisdictions, different chains of command, right?"

Izzy fires off a quick text to Nightingale, just summarizing the case so far, their thoughts and evidence, and mentioning the news from Sgt. Dhillon. She's not expecting him to ask them to go after Grimes as a suspect, but at least the bases are covered if something incriminating turns up. As Izzy reasons, nobody is above the law, no matter who their friends are...

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jordan.png
"You're welcome, Leo," says Jordan. "Right now we have no evidence against Grimes anyway, but if that changes, I go where the evidence leads. Maybe we'll find out more when we talk to Barry. Getting some of that moss for ourselves wouldn't go amiss, either. If we're going to be chasing invisible cars, it helps to be able to see them."

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:04 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Eli nods," I agree, this Grimesy sounds like a bit of a bully, even if we are told to 'stay clear' of him and if when we meet Barry and we uncover any links then surely he should be considered 'fair game' i believe thats the expression?" He says, thinking what must his students think if they could see him now, examing crime scenes...a milli9n worlds away from the lecture halls.