Page 1 of 1

The Incident Room: General Chat

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:20 pm
by jp1885
Use this thread for general, OOC chat.

Re: The Incident Room: General Chat

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:08 pm
by jp1885
Character creation info is up. You can play either police officers or civilian consultants, but I’d like at least two characters to be police.

Likewise, I’d like at least two characters to be magical practitioners (eg having the Magical advantage).

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:03 pm
by Philulhu
Do the civvies have to be consultants? I’m already playing a police officer in Ladybird, Ladybird so fancied playing something different. I thought about someone living on the streets who has had some latent magical ability?

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:11 pm
by jp1885
The scenario starts off with the investigators already working for the Special Assessment Unit (the magical arm of the Met). However, maybe your character, being able to do magic, has heard of the SAU and turns up one day?

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:12 pm
by Philulhu
That would work for me. I’ll pull a character together over the weekend.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:20 pm
by Trivun
I shall start putting a character together this evening (after I'm home from work), but I have a concept in mind already if this is alright - a fairly rookie officer who hasn't long graduated from Hendon, but was quickly tapped up for the Murder Squad under DCI Seawoll. Soon enough she came across a case that reeked of 'the weird bollocks' - a corpse completely drained of all fluid without any external marks or wounds - and after she accidentally sensed vestigia at the crime scene she was seconded to the Folly and started working under them, after solving that first case. She's now learning the basics of magic, although it's still early days.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:41 pm
by jp1885
Great stuff!

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll wait for the primer to create my character, but I'm thinking of playing a medical examiner/forensic expert.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:19 am
by jp1885
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:59 am I'll wait for the primer to create my character, but I'm thinking of playing a medical examiner/forensic expert.
See the character creation thread :)
Edit: there is a medical type in the pregens, so when I get a moment I’ll take a screenshot and send to you for inspiration.
(Being a brand new game, it isn’t really set up for online play yet).

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, I'll check it out after you do that.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:55 am
by jp1885
I’ll probably start the game this week, but with Xmas approaching I don’t expect things to take off until January.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:35 am
by jp1885
Those of you who don’t have a copy of the game might find this useful - https://chaosium.itch.io/rivers-of-lond ... RtrO4rfUaw

(Just be wary of opening the handouts, as they may contain spoilers for the first case file).

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:06 pm
by jp1885
Okay, that’s me signing off for Christmas. Have a great few days folks!

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:29 pm
by Trivun
You too! Merry Christmas all, have a great time!

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:50 pm
by Philulhu
Merry Cthulhmas everyone 😉

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
Merry Christmas, one and all!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:29 pm
by Trivun
Funnily enough, the last time I stayed in London (about six months ago) I was actually staying in a hostel on Montague Street, just a stone's throw from where The Folly would be :) And I spent most of the weekend in the West End, including visiting New Row (there's a Waterstones which I went into that's in the same place where I presume Stonewaters is in the game)...

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:18 pm
by jp1885
Yep, it's where Ben Aaronovitch used to work apparently.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:38 am
by Snapper
Happy New Year GM and Team! Many of you already know me. I'll try to squeeze seamlessly into the game as soon as the GM is happy with the character ("Skipper").

Cheers,

Snapper

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:06 am
by Trivun
Happy New Year to all of you! Hope you have a great 2023!

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:08 am
by jp1885
Happy new year everyone!

Snapper, your character looks good; please jump right in.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:54 pm
by Philulhu
Happy new year! :D

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:17 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Happy New Year!! Hope you all have an amazing 2023 :D

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:27 pm
by Snapper
jp1885 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:08 am Happy new year everyone!

Snapper, your character looks good; please jump right in.

Roger Dodger!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Happy New Year!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:57 pm
by jp1885
Happy new year to you too Mr. H! And to all my supernatural investors!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:38 pm
by Trivun
Question - how do I roll dice in the thread? It's the first time I've had to do so on this forum and the BB Code from the Orientation Centre thread doesn't seem to be working for me...

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
I think the dice roller has been changed since then. This thread has more current instructions.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:06 pm
by jp1885
Right at the top of the website is a dice button (next to faq). Click that and type 1d100 in the Roll Notation field (you can also type the skill first, for example “Observation 60 1d100”

Then press “Roll the Dice”. You can copy and paste the result in your post :)

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:11 pm
by Trivun
Got it, thank you!

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:20 am
by Snapper
Skipper has failed virtually every roll he's made so far. Clearly, the River Gods hate him.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:50 am
by jp1885
Your time will come I’m sure!

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:17 pm
by Trivun
I'm ready for the next scene whenever everyone else is :) Also I know a bit about the unsociable hours that police have to keep, my brother is a police officer and he's missed so many social and family events because of his shift patterns. Including having to work Christmas Day the Christmas before last (he still made it home in time for Christmas dinner though, plus the overtime pay was even higher because of what day it was).

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:44 pm
by jp1885
I’ve been on-call at Christmas before now, but never had to work it yet, luckily!

I hope you’re all enjoying the game so far. I’m still finding my way around the rules, so apologies if I get anything wrong (for example, Izzy should have already had a bonus die to cast her Lux spell, as she has mastered it).

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

I’ve written two case files for the game so far, and am about to start on a third, so plenty to keep us going!

I’m also GMing a campaign online with some players from my local rpg group and the Rivers of London rpg facebook page, so you’d have thought I’d get the hang of the rules by now!

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:34 pm
by Philulhu
I’ve been GMing for many years and I still regularly have to check the rulebook! :?

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:09 am
by Snapper
Can the PCs compare notes etc as they walk back? Opportunity for a bit of sharing of clues, extreme role-playing etc.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:32 am
by jp1885
Oh yes, definitely.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:27 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:03 pm
by jp1885
I’m in a generous mood today. Please can everyone make an improvement roll on their Luck (I.e. roll 1d100 and try to score above your Luck value).
If you succeed, add 1d10 Luck :)

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:19 am
by Trivun
Luck improvement (65%):

1d100

Bonus luck:

1d10

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm ready to move on too.

Luck XP check (60% stat):
d%

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:12 pm
by Philulhu
Luck improvement (63%)

1d100

Nope…

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:07 am
by Trivun
Fun fact time - the comment about Izzy's last ex dumping her to spend more time with the horses at the horse sanctuary she worked for... that's actually based on real life. It's the same reason a girl gave for ditching me after our third date a few years ago :lol:

The More You Know! (TM)

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:30 am
by Snapper
Those damn horses are needy!

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:24 am
by Philulhu
“It’s not working out. I’ve decided to spend more time with a horse…” :cry:

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:11 pm
by jp1885
So basically this game is a form of therapy? I should start charging…

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:43 pm
by Trivun
Haha, tbf I use alcohol and video games as therapy if I ever need it :P

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:47 pm
by SaintMeerkat
Lethbridge_Stewart.png

By the way, Leo is channeling his inner Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart today.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:17 pm
by jp1885
If you’re gonna channel anyone, channel the Brig!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Splendid chap!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:41 am
by Snapper
The Brig is one of my all time favourite characters.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:41 am
by Snapper
My impression of Skipper having a INT roll Crit Success:

Blackadder : Well Balders, this is a turn up for the books. It seems that you have built a working time machine and are therefore, rather surprisingly, the greatest genius the world has ever known.

Baldrick : Thank you very much, my lord.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:57 pm
by jp1885
Please excuse the infrequent updates on my part, I’m sitting back and enjoying your PC’s banter!

We’ve pretty much reached the end of the case file, once you’ve worked out how to keep the spirit entertained on a weekly basis. There’s no wrong answer, so have fun with it :)

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:35 pm
by Trivun
That was fun, definitely enjoyed the first case file! And Izzy is more than happy to continue building her career with the Folly!

(by which I mean I am more than happy to continue with future cases!)

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:36 pm
by jp1885
Thanks for playing the Rivers of London RPG case file The Bookshop. It's not a particularly challenging scenario, but rather fun I think. I hope you all enjoyed it! (If you've read the short story The Cockpit, then it'll be very familiar to you).

On to the development phase...

If you wish to continue with the next case file I have planned, then you can either knock up an new character or continue with the one you have. If you choose the latter, then all Damage is healed, Impairment lost and Magic Points regenerated to 1/5 your POW.

Please also make a Luck improvement roll. If you roll over, then add 1D10 to your Luck Points - then also roll 2D10+50 and use the higher of the two values as your new Luck score.

You also have 2 Development Points. These can either be saved up or spent thus:

To raise existing skill
• If 80 or less – 1 point to raise 1 skill by 10, or 2 by 5 each, to a max of 80
• If 81 – 90 - 1 point to raise 1 skill by 5, to a max of 90
• If 91+ - 1 point to raise 1 skill by 1, to a max of 99
To gain new skill – 1 point to gain skill at ½ associated characteristic (page 117)
Learn new spell (page 179) – 1 point
• Must know 2 spells in previous spell order
• Cannot learn more spells in spell order than in any lower orders
Master spell – 1 point – also increases Magic Points by 1
• Cannot Master newly learned spell
• Cannot Learn/Master more than once per development phase
To buy normal Advantage – 5 points
To buy major Advantage – 10 points

You're also welcome to alter your character's backstory to reflect their recent experience.

Please alter your character sheets in the Unusual Suspects thread when you've finished the development phase.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:37 pm
by Philulhu
Thanks for running the game, JP. Des is happy to carry on, unsure of events as ever!

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:42 am
by Snapper
That was totally amusing. Please do more!!

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:52 am
by SaintMeerkat
I am definitely interested in continuing the adventures of the Watch Irregulars...err, rather, the The Folly B-Team.

Please keep us updated on the next game and huge thanks for running.

I will update my character tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, that was great, and I'm eager for more!

Is there a list somewhere of advantages and what they do?

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:01 am
by jp1885
Thanks folks, great to hear you all enjoyed it, and I’m very happy you all want to continue!

Mr Handy, I’ll post up a list of advantages later today when I get home from work. Some of them have prerequisites, which I’ll also list.

I’ll start the next case file soon. Keep an eye out…

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:46 pm
by jp1885
Advantages

Connected - connections with powerful people
Damage bonus (Minimum STR 60) - +1 damage to melee attacks
Fast reactions (Minimum DEX 60) - can fight back twice in a combat round
Magical (major) (Minimum INT and POW 60) - can cast spells
Natural toughness (Minimum CON and STR 60) - take -1 damage for unarmed & blunt melee attacks
Rich (major) - can set affluence rating to rich
Scary - bonus die on social rolls when intimidating
Signature firearm (Minimum DEX and Firearms 60) - bonus die on ranged damage rolls when using a particular firearm
Signature weapon (Minimum DEX and Fighting 60) - bonus die on damage rolls when using a particular melee weapon
Silver-tongued - bonus die on social rolls when trying to persuade someone
Speedy (Minimum DEX 60) - Set MOV to 9
Steadfast (Minimum POW 60) - does not suffer impairment when exposed to stressful situations (excluding magic and damage)
The knowledge (Minimum INT and Navigate 60) - bonus die on navigate rolls in a nominated area
Wealthy - can set affluence rating to wealthy

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:50 am
by Snapper
Looking at the advantages, Skipper shouldn't have The Knowledge as he doesn't have Navigate 60. Would you be happy if I ret-conned that to Fast Reactions? (He didn't use The Knowledge last scenario.)

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:55 am
by Snapper
Current Luck 55

1d%Lp

1d10

Brings Luck back to 63.

2d10+50

Cool, Luck up to 66.

Skipper will spend his points to bring Fighting up to 70% and Observation to 40%.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:28 am
by SaintMeerkat
Leo Luck Improvement Roll

Luck (61): 1d100

No improvement this time. IDP is complete and character sheet updated.

1 point - Raise Magic skill from 60 to 70
1 point - Learn Fireball

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! I don't have time tonight, but I'll try to update my character tomorrow night.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:23 am
by jp1885
Snapper wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:50 am Looking at the advantages, Skipper shouldn't have The Knowledge as he doesn't have Navigate 60. Would you be happy if I ret-conned that to Fast Reactions? (He didn't use The Knowledge last scenario.)
Sure thing.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:50 am
by Trivun
I will get my sheet updated tonight, need to consider if it's better for me to improve existing skills or learn some new spells!

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:24 pm
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:47 pm
by Trivun
  Luck Improvement roll (72%)  
1d100

Aww, no luck improvement for me this time!

2d10+50 Luck roll:  
2d10+50

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:45 am
by Trivun
Okay, I have updated my character sheet both on here and offline! Added a new spell (Impello Palma) and improved Athletics up to 40%.

I've also updated my bio with a short summary of Case File 1!

Updates since Case File 1:

Izzy spent some formative months at the Folly, learning how to use magic and even mastering her first basic spell, as well as getting involved in a few minor cases under the supervision of DC Grant and DCI Nightingale. She was paired with fellow DC Leo Dansby, who had been recruited to the Folly from the force in Cambridge. Soon enough, they were sent on their first proper "weird bollocks" case without direct supervision - investigating a bookstore in Theatreland that may or may not have been haunted. In doing so, Izzy and Leo would be paired with new 'Folly-adjacent' colleagues, or civilian consultants - pathologist Jordan Schneider, private eye Skipper (Raymond Pearson, though he never told them his actual name...), and the waif and stray, Destiny Orivo, aka Des, who could apparently see ghosts, Haley Joel Osment-style.

The case seemed to go smoothly enough, and they discovered that the 'ghost' was in fact a brand new Genius Loci, similar to the river goddesses, created from the mix of children's energy in the bookstore and the lingering emotions of an old cock fighting ring once located on the site. This strange invisible chicken/toddler hybrid entity simply wanted someone to read books to it, or else it would throw a tantrum. Newly christened Errol by the pop culture spouting team, the entity was calmed, and a plan put in place to keep it happy in the future.

Oh, and Izzy managed to bag herself a date with Alice, the cousin of her best friend, for the next day! She worried about being too tired to turn up, given she'd spent the previous night ghost hunting and cleaning up books until the wee hours, but a nap when home and a lot of coffee beforehand were enough to keep her sane. The date seemed to go well, and Izzy looked forward to seeing a lot more of Alice in the near future...

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:11 am
by Philulhu
Luck (63%) 1d100

Rolled over so +1D10 = 1d10

Rolling 2d10+50 = 2d10+50

That makes my luck now 69.

I’ll take 10 point increases in Social and Sense Vestigia.

After the events (‘dat weird shit!’) at Stonewaters, Des has settled into life at the Folly. Regular meals and somewhere safe to bed down at night has made the world of difference to her and she’s a bit more relaxed and less guarded. Her relations with the rest of the team have improved - she wouldn’t exactly call them friends but she tolerates them better now.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:49 pm
by Snapper
So, do disposable wedding reception film cameras, with no electronics beyond a simple flash, work around weird magic? If so, Skipper is going to purchase a '90s era film SLR and find somewhere in London that does while-you-wait film developing.

There's somewhere in London that does while-you-wait anything.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:17 pm
by jp1885
Yeah that’d work. Magic fries powered-up microprocessors (and brains), so electronics with batteries taken out are safe; disposable film cameras even more so.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:27 am
by Snapper
In that case, Skipper will provide The Folly with a neat album of Stonewaters' scattered and occasionally projectile books. With all the quality you can get from one of those little plastic disposables.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Luck improvement (current level) roll:
d%

I'll be spending my Development Points to increase my Observation and Medicine skills from 60 to 70.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:53 am
by Snapper
I swear Skipper is cursed by the River Gods.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:29 am
by jp1885
You can always spend luck or push the roll…

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:13 pm
by Snapper
I'll bear it in mind. Not really worth it so early in the story. With Skipper's luck he'll fail the push too and just go insane...

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:23 am
by SaintMeerkat
By the way, if anyone is a fan of Midsomer Murders, you will recognize my character portrait as the character Ben Jones from that show.

In a fun coincidence, after moving, he makes a surprise reappearance where he gets a chance to show off his elite cricket skills.
Last Man Out.jpg

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:40 am
by Mr. Handy
I haven't seen it, but the Keeper chose his picture for me when I played DS Jones in the London chapter of Masks of Nyarlathotep before the game stopped. The photo no longer appears, but you can see him in action in the Scotland Yard forum.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:49 pm
by Snapper
Skipper's run of extreme bad luck / curse of the River Gods has just taken an abrupt right turn.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:11 am
by Snapper
I'm interpreting the skittles rules that the second roll (fail) overruled the first roll (hard success) and you revert to the 1d10/2 roll. That sound right?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:38 am
by jp1885
Yep, sounds fair.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:16 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:13 pm
by Trivun
So, as you can see in my last post, I did an accidental dice roll of a d100 and it's randomly appearing in the post even though I didn't choose to include it inline. How do I delete this?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:20 pm
by jp1885
Hmm… as I recall, you can’t. Stops unscrupulous folk re-posting with better dice rolls I suppose!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:37 pm
by Trivun
Sounds reasonable :P I'll just edit it to be ignored then!

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:20 am
by Snapper
Was looking at the map of Nen village on my phone and misread the bottom part as "Pooh Houses". For one brief moment I thought this adventure had taken a turn for the very surreal indeed. Who didn't love AA Milne though?

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:15 am
by Philulhu
That would be different! :lol:

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:25 pm
by jp1885
(Notes that Snapper is criticising my map making skills and adjusts the difficulty level of their rolls accordingly)

:D

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:01 pm
by Trivun
Would I be right in guessing that Nennington is based on the real life hamlet of Nunnington, located just outside of Hereford? Not an area I know too well but the names seem suspiciously similar... :geek:

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:29 pm
by jp1885
Not too far away. The Nennington Arms is based on the Cross Keys pub, just down the road, where as a lad I used to stick for the skittles team.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:42 pm
by Snapper
jp1885 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:25 pm (Notes that Snapper is criticising my map making skills and adjusts the difficulty level of their rolls accordingly)

:D
👍

And fair enough too!

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:00 am
by Snapper
I'm hoping for the Vicar of Dibley...

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:21 am
by Trivun
We're all hoping for the Vicar of Dibley but we're more likely to get the Woman in Black... :P

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:48 am
by Snapper
Can the rest of us do Vestigia checks? We seem to all have the skill but on the other hand, haven't been magic trained like the Met's arcanist.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:40 am
by jp1885
Yep, everyone can try to sense vestigia.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:27 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:40 am
by jp1885
Sorry folks - been a busy few days. I’ll update when I’ve got a bit of spare time.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:54 am
by Philulhu
No problem, my week’s been really busy too so I’ve not been posting as much.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:42 pm
by Snapper
All good! Totally enjoying this though. :D

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm enjoying it too, and I understand. I've been busy last week myself.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:13 am
by Snapper
OOC:   After some mental and emotional debate, I'm going with Berlin's 'Take My Breath Away' as the tune Skipper is whistling.

The obvious competition was home team favourite Rod Stewart with 'I am Sailing.'  

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:16 pm
by SaintMeerkat
Can someone tell me how to customize the spoiler button name? An example that I could copy/paste/edit would be appreciated.

I've tried to Google how to do it in the past and my normally strong Google-Fu consistently fails.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
If you put an equals sign (=) and the text between ‘Spoiler-Button‘ and the square bracket’]’, that changes the name. Some symbols don’t work (like the ‘&’ symbol).

Try quoting this post to see how I set it up.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:23 am
by SaintMeerkat
Brilliant! Thank you! I never thought about quoting to look behind the curtain.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:39 am
by Snapper
You can also use it to copy other people's posted photos, as I have been doing with the investigators' notes!

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:14 am
by Philulhu
I always copy & paste my earlier posts anyway. It saves me having to remember what colour I’ve used for different character’s speech! ;)

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:06 am
by Snapper
Skipper refers you to the famous misquote of Kipling:

"If you can keep your head when everybody around you is losing his, then it is very probable that you don’t understand the situation."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:08 am
by SaintMeerkat
Friends, I will be traveling this weekend, so my posts will be sporadic or non-existent.

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:49 pm
by jp1885
For completing Why Was He Born So Beautiful? you characters get 1 Development point each.

You can also re-roll your luck (2d10+50), recover from any Damage and regain all spent Magic points.

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:46 pm
by SaintMeerkat
Thank you for running. I had a blast. I am definitely interested in whatever you have in store for us next.

Enjoy your break!

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
Thanks, JP. I enjoyed that (despite Des’ appearance to the contrary!)

I’m looking forward to our next outing.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:52 am
by Trivun
No worries! I'll sort the character updates tomorrow as well as probably write up in my spare time a little short story featuring Izzy and Alice, just for my own amusement and the hopeful enjoyment of you all, but otherwise have a good break and definitely looking forward to the next case!

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:30 am
by Snapper
These have been good fun, thanks again! Look forward to the next one!

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, that was fun! I'm looking forward to the next case too.

I'll spend my Development point to increase Fighting to 40. There's been no combat yet, but I lose some of the benefit of being a bruiser if I can't actually hit anything.

Luck reroll:
2d10+50

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:01 am
by Snapper
Luck re-roll:

2d10+50

Actually goes up a point, sweet!

Better increase his Obs, that would be a logical move for Skipper. Obs +10.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:53 am
by Snapper
As random luck would have it, was browsing in my local bookstore today, coffee in hand, when I spotted a new release from the Rivers of London series. "Among Our Weapons", I think.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:04 am
by jp1885
It’s a great book, though I recommend starting with Rivers of London and working your way through the series if you haven’t read them first.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:10 am
by Trivun
I'm actually reading Amongst Our Weapons now, currently about a third of the way through it (and just read the latest in the comics series as well, Deadly Ever After). AoW actually does have reference to the jury-rig of phones to survive magic as referenced in our latest case, it's actually a hard ON/OFF switch that cuts power fully from the battery to the microprocessors that's described as being a bugger to engineer at first but worth it in the long run. Plus we don't have to worry so much about the Airwaves being dusted because they come from the Folly's budget, not our own pockets :P

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:57 am
by Snapper
jp1885 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:04 am It’s a great book, though I recommend starting with Rivers of London and working your way through the series if you haven’t read them first.

I have read the first and a few of the sequels but not the whole lot. Impressed by the coincidence of finding it today though.

(Should include a number of graphic novels in the now read list too.)

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:09 am
by Trivun
I did say I was going to type up a short story following the second case, here it is! Just a little piece detailing the immediate aftermath from Izzy's point of view. And pointing out her suspicions of Neil Sholto-Jones :P

As the outbuilding once used for skittles went up in flames, Izzy had managed to stagger outside, and keep hold of the urn despite feeling its pull towards the place where it had been held for so long. She was coughing and spluttering, before Jordan gave her some rather effective treatment for the smoke inhalation she had clearly suffered. Her voice hoarse and raspy, though still as bright as ever, she called over to Dominic - “Do you have a landline I can use? It's urgent!”

He looked somewhat annoyed at her as he turned away from his husband to quickly point her in the direction of the landline inside the pub, but right now Izzy couldn't care less. She had more pressing concerns, and besides, although she had no ill will towards Dominic, Neil was a different story, at least until innocence could be proven. She was certain he had known about the urn, about where it lay hiding, and about what it contained. His eyes had betrayed him, the quick glance towards the scoreboard having been the clue that she had needed to uncover the pot.

Still, she couldn't waste time. She dashed inside, bringing the urn with her (there was no way she was going to let it out of her sight), and placed it carefully on the shelf beside the phone, in easy reach, before quickly dialing the Folly from memory. She didn't dare replace the batteries in her phones, neither work nor personal, for fear of Lee Snelgrove coming forth once more and wreaking havoc, especially on her microchips.

Izzy waited for a brief moment, getting more impatient, before the phone was finally answered. She heard silence, and realised that either Molly or Foxglove had picked it up, waiting with a little more patience this time for less than a minute before the voice of the guv'nor came through, loud and clear.

“Hello? This is DCI Nightingale, to whom am I speaking?”

He sounded as well spoken and good mannered as ever, though there was a slight hint of exasperation, as if he'd been called from something important. Of course. Izzy remembered that it was the Autumn Internationals, and right now the Harlequins were busy losing at home to the Maori All Blacks. Not that such a minor game would have been on the TV normally, but the management at the Twickenham Stoop had owed Peter and Nightingale a favour after dealing with a rather nasty case of a cursed trophy cabinet some months back...

“Sir, it's Izzy. Sorry to drag you away from the game, but we have a situation.” She explained as succinctly as she could, the events of the past few hours, including the emergence of Lee Snelgrove's revenant, and the fire that was still raging in the outbuilding even as the fire crew did their best to put it out. She was somewhat more tight lipped about Leo casting a Fireball, since he could easily give that detail himself in the later debrief... or not, however he wished. For now, let Nightingale think that Lee had caused the fire himself. She did note a rather distinct “hmm...” when she reached that part, but no further comment was made.

“I see.” There was a pause on the other end of the line, as Nightingale considered the situation. “I'm certain that Harold will want to examine the urn a lot more closely, but I would say that the safest place to do so would be back here. I'll call him in the morning and ask him to come down from Oxford and take a look. In the meantime, do you think you could bring the urn back to London, safely?”

There was a clear questioning tone that Izzy didn't take for granted. “We can try. But I'm concerned that the ghost... sorry, the revenant, might still be active within it.”

“That's something we'll just have to take the risk on. Keep a careful watch, and try to keep safe. I'll be here to take custody as soon as you're back in the capital. Any problems, please, call.”

“Of course. We'll see you soon.” And with that, Izzy returned to the others, urn in tow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She had wanted to question Neil Sholto-Jones about the urn, but they didn't have the time. Besides, right now he was in such a state, and Dominic wasn't letting anyone nearby save for the paramedics, even though Neil hadn't actually been hurt too badly. He seemed to be suffering from shock more than anything else, although Jordan had already raised his concerns about a possible concussion. Izzy liked Dominic, and so she wasn't about to press the matter further. She did make a note though, to have a member of the West Mercia Police pay Neil a visit when he was more well recovered, along with a list of questions to ask. Hell, she'd happily jump on the train to Hereford herself if needed, to get to the bottom of what he knew about the urn and about the late, unfortunate Lee Snelgrove. She had questions still unanswered, and she doubted that the boss would be too happy about leaving such mysteries unsolved either.

For now, though, she did her best to persuade the others to bundle themselves back into the people carrier, and head on back to London as soon as they could. They had all brought overnight bags, but Izzy had no intention of staying there until the morning. She managed to convince the others to head back sooner rather than later, although it was already around nine PM when they all bundled themselves into the vehicle and set off. Jordan driving, as the only one aside from Des who hadn't been drinking, and besides, Izzy wanted herself and Leo on guard with the urn to ensure that it didn't start acting up. Nor was she willing to take the motorway – despite Jordan's protests over how much longer the journey would take, she insisted on sticking to A roads, meaning a somewhat convoluted route consisting of the A438 from the village to Gloucester, then switching to the A436 and A40 past Oxford, another jaunt to Aylesbury up the A418, and finally taking the A41 the rest of the way. It was only as they passed the McDonald's coming through Headington, on the way out of Oxford, that Izzy considered that they could have simply dropped the urn off with Professor Postmartin there and then. However, he wasn't magically trained himself, and presumably would have no defence if it began to act badly. The Folly was the safest place, of course. Besides, it was already pushing eleven o'clock by the time they got to the university city, and she assumed that the good professor would already be tucked up in bed by then.

It was after midnight by the time the group returned to the hallowed confines of the M25, and it took another half hour to reach Russell Square from there. Nightingale was waiting for them at the rear gate to the coach house as they pulled in, and Izzy wasted no time handing over the prize, which had fortunately remained dormant all the way to London. She did wonder if the boss ever actually slept, but thought better of saying anything, before saying her goodbyes to the others (who all began their own separate journeys home), and hailing a taxi to take her straight back to her flat.

She was expecting Alice to already be in bed by now, but as Izzy stepped out of the black cab outside her apartment building, she noticed a light on, shining from a window on the top floor. Of course, it was hers, and she made her way upstairs to find Alice on the sofa, TV still on, clearly having fallen asleep whilst watching some documentary on Netflix. Next to her was Freya, curled up with her head resting against the girl's thigh, a tiny ball of fluff that every so often would let out a contented purr as she slumbered and dreamed of chasing mice across Finsbury Park.

Izzy turned the TV off, and watched the pair of them for a moment, just grateful to be home, not wanting to disturb either of them. It didn't take long for Alice's eyes to half open, and notice the young detective constable standing near the kitchen area, smiling.

“Izzy... you're back early... what time is it?” Alice said, stifling a large yawn as she lifted her head from the cushions.

“It's late. I didn't want to wake you.” Izzy looked through the cupboards, and grabbed a snack bar, just something to keep the hunger pangs away after the long drive back, before heading over to the sofa and sitting down next to Alice. She picked up Freya and put the kitty on her lap, giving her a few strokes and scratches, before snuggling up to her paramour and resting her head on Alice's shoulder. Almost instantly, she felt the tiredness hit her, closing her eyes and speaking with a mere whisper.

“Took a lot out of me today...” Izzy felt something on her head, and tensed up for a brief moment, before she realised that it was Alice, playing with her hair. She allowed herself to drift off in the moment, imagining the scene from an outside perspective. Izzy, lying back with a cat on her lap, her best Wendy Corduroy style with her denim jeans, plaid shirt, and long red hair sprawled out around her. Alice, equally long hair sprawled out just as messily across the cushions, chestnut brown, framing a round and pretty face. Dressed in the most casual attire, black leggings and an oversized Wolf Alice t-shirt hiding a slim and slender frame. Alice gently stroking Izzy's hair, picking up strands and twirling them around, allowing her fingernails to gently run back and forth across her scalp, every touch sending a delicious shiver of pleasure down Izzy's spine.

Despite the general rules of the masquerade, Izzy had told Alice about the job she did, although she hadn't given all the full details. She'd had to clear it with Nightingale first, of course, but Peter had served as precedent to a degree – his parents knew at least the basics, even if his mother was proud of “her son the witch-finder”. Still, although they'd only been dating a few months, it didn't surprise Alice now when Izzy came home talking about demon traps and dusted phones, or the memorable time when she'd chased what she thought was a unicorn through Epping Forest only for it to turn out to be some kid's runaway soapbox car. Now was no exception, and Alice listened patiently as Izzy got the day's events off her chest, from the arrival in Herefordshire all the way up to their late night journey back to civilization. At least, as far as Londoners tended to call it.

“Rough day, then. Poor baby...” Alice's voice was one of sympathy, and love. She shifted her head as much as she could, to let her lips meet the top of Izzy's head, before holding her hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. They stayed like that for a while longer, just happy to be together, until Izzy finally gathered the strength to lift herself up, and stand. She gave Alice a knowing look, and without a single word, kept hold of her hand, as she led the way to the bedroom. She knew she'd pay the price the next morning, by needing at least three cups of coffee before even daring to venture to the debrief with Nightingale, but for now she didn't care. She leaned in, and kissed Alice deeply and passionately, as they sank down into the soft covers and allowed the night to pass them by...

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:26 am
by Philulhu
Very good, Trivun 🙂

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:50 am
by Trivun
Thank you! :D

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:48 pm
by SaintMeerkat
DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Luck Re-Roll: 2d10+50

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:10 pm
by Trivun
Luck re-roll:

2d10+50

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:18 pm
by jp1885
Trivun wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:09 am I did say I was going to type up a short story following the second case, here it is! Just a little piece detailing the immediate aftermath from Izzy's point of view. And pointing out her suspicions of Neil Sholto-Jones :P

As the outbuilding once used for skittles went up in flames, Izzy had managed to stagger outside, and keep hold of the urn despite feeling its pull towards the place where it had been held for so long. She was coughing and spluttering, before Jordan gave her some rather effective treatment for the smoke inhalation she had clearly suffered. Her voice hoarse and raspy, though still as bright as ever, she called over to Dominic - “Do you have a landline I can use? It's urgent!”

He looked somewhat annoyed at her as he turned away from his husband to quickly point her in the direction of the landline inside the pub, but right now Izzy couldn't care less. She had more pressing concerns, and besides, although she had no ill will towards Dominic, Neil was a different story, at least until innocence could be proven. She was certain he had known about the urn, about where it lay hiding, and about what it contained. His eyes had betrayed him, the quick glance towards the scoreboard having been the clue that she had needed to uncover the pot.

Still, she couldn't waste time. She dashed inside, bringing the urn with her (there was no way she was going to let it out of her sight), and placed it carefully on the shelf beside the phone, in easy reach, before quickly dialing the Folly from memory. She didn't dare replace the batteries in her phones, neither work nor personal, for fear of Lee Snelgrove coming forth once more and wreaking havoc, especially on her microchips.

Izzy waited for a brief moment, getting more impatient, before the phone was finally answered. She heard silence, and realised that either Molly or Foxglove had picked it up, waiting with a little more patience this time for less than a minute before the voice of the guv'nor came through, loud and clear.

“Hello? This is DCI Nightingale, to whom am I speaking?”

He sounded as well spoken and good mannered as ever, though there was a slight hint of exasperation, as if he'd been called from something important. Of course. Izzy remembered that it was the Autumn Internationals, and right now the Harlequins were busy losing at home to the Maori All Blacks. Not that such a minor game would have been on the TV normally, but the management at the Twickenham Stoop had owed Peter and Nightingale a favour after dealing with a rather nasty case of a cursed trophy cabinet some months back...

“Sir, it's Izzy. Sorry to drag you away from the game, but we have a situation.” She explained as succinctly as she could, the events of the past few hours, including the emergence of Lee Snelgrove's revenant, and the fire that was still raging in the outbuilding even as the fire crew did their best to put it out. She was somewhat more tight lipped about Leo casting a Fireball, since he could easily give that detail himself in the later debrief... or not, however he wished. For now, let Nightingale think that Lee had caused the fire himself. She did note a rather distinct “hmm...” when she reached that part, but no further comment was made.

“I see.” There was a pause on the other end of the line, as Nightingale considered the situation. “I'm certain that Harold will want to examine the urn a lot more closely, but I would say that the safest place to do so would be back here. I'll call him in the morning and ask him to come down from Oxford and take a look. In the meantime, do you think you could bring the urn back to London, safely?”

There was a clear questioning tone that Izzy didn't take for granted. “We can try. But I'm concerned that the ghost... sorry, the revenant, might still be active within it.”

“That's something we'll just have to take the risk on. Keep a careful watch, and try to keep safe. I'll be here to take custody as soon as you're back in the capital. Any problems, please, call.”

“Of course. We'll see you soon.” And with that, Izzy returned to the others, urn in tow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She had wanted to question Neil Sholto-Jones about the urn, but they didn't have the time. Besides, right now he was in such a state, and Dominic wasn't letting anyone nearby save for the paramedics, even though Neil hadn't actually been hurt too badly. He seemed to be suffering from shock more than anything else, although Jordan had already raised his concerns about a possible concussion. Izzy liked Dominic, and so she wasn't about to press the matter further. She did make a note though, to have a member of the West Mercia Police pay Neil a visit when he was more well recovered, along with a list of questions to ask. Hell, she'd happily jump on the train to Hereford herself if needed, to get to the bottom of what he knew about the urn and about the late, unfortunate Lee Snelgrove. She had questions still unanswered, and she doubted that the boss would be too happy about leaving such mysteries unsolved either.

For now, though, she did her best to persuade the others to bundle themselves back into the people carrier, and head on back to London as soon as they could. They had all brought overnight bags, but Izzy had no intention of staying there until the morning. She managed to convince the others to head back sooner rather than later, although it was already around nine PM when they all bundled themselves into the vehicle and set off. Jordan driving, as the only one aside from Des who hadn't been drinking, and besides, Izzy wanted herself and Leo on guard with the urn to ensure that it didn't start acting up. Nor was she willing to take the motorway – despite Jordan's protests over how much longer the journey would take, she insisted on sticking to A roads, meaning a somewhat convoluted route consisting of the A438 from the village to Gloucester, then switching to the A436 and A40 past Oxford, another jaunt to Aylesbury up the A418, and finally taking the A41 the rest of the way. It was only as they passed the McDonald's coming through Headington, on the way out of Oxford, that Izzy considered that they could have simply dropped the urn off with Professor Postmartin there and then. However, he wasn't magically trained himself, and presumably would have no defence if it began to act badly. The Folly was the safest place, of course. Besides, it was already pushing eleven o'clock by the time they got to the university city, and she assumed that the good professor would already be tucked up in bed by then.

It was after midnight by the time the group returned to the hallowed confines of the M25, and it took another half hour to reach Russell Square from there. Nightingale was waiting for them at the rear gate to the coach house as they pulled in, and Izzy wasted no time handing over the prize, which had fortunately remained dormant all the way to London. She did wonder if the boss ever actually slept, but thought better of saying anything, before saying her goodbyes to the others (who all began their own separate journeys home), and hailing a taxi to take her straight back to her flat.

She was expecting Alice to already be in bed by now, but as Izzy stepped out of the black cab outside her apartment building, she noticed a light on, shining from a window on the top floor. Of course, it was hers, and she made her way upstairs to find Alice on the sofa, TV still on, clearly having fallen asleep whilst watching some documentary on Netflix. Next to her was Freya, curled up with her head resting against the girl's thigh, a tiny ball of fluff that every so often would let out a contented purr as she slumbered and dreamed of chasing mice across Finsbury Park.

Izzy turned the TV off, and watched the pair of them for a moment, just grateful to be home, not wanting to disturb either of them. It didn't take long for Alice's eyes to half open, and notice the young detective constable standing near the kitchen area, smiling.

“Izzy... you're back early... what time is it?” Alice said, stifling a large yawn as she lifted her head from the cushions.

“It's late. I didn't want to wake you.” Izzy looked through the cupboards, and grabbed a snack bar, just something to keep the hunger pangs away after the long drive back, before heading over to the sofa and sitting down next to Alice. She picked up Freya and put the kitty on her lap, giving her a few strokes and scratches, before snuggling up to her paramour and resting her head on Alice's shoulder. Almost instantly, she felt the tiredness hit her, closing her eyes and speaking with a mere whisper.

“Took a lot out of me today...” Izzy felt something on her head, and tensed up for a brief moment, before she realised that it was Alice, playing with her hair. She allowed herself to drift off in the moment, imagining the scene from an outside perspective. Izzy, lying back with a cat on her lap, her best Wendy Corduroy style with her denim jeans, plaid shirt, and long red hair sprawled out around her. Alice, equally long hair sprawled out just as messily across the cushions, chestnut brown, framing a round and pretty face. Dressed in the most casual attire, black leggings and an oversized Wolf Alice t-shirt hiding a slim and slender frame. Alice gently stroking Izzy's hair, picking up strands and twirling them around, allowing her fingernails to gently run back and forth across her scalp, every touch sending a delicious shiver of pleasure down Izzy's spine.

Despite the general rules of the masquerade, Izzy had told Alice about the job she did, although she hadn't given all the full details. She'd had to clear it with Nightingale first, of course, but Peter had served as precedent to a degree – his parents knew at least the basics, even if his mother was proud of “her son the witch-finder”. Still, although they'd only been dating a few months, it didn't surprise Alice now when Izzy came home talking about demon traps and dusted phones, or the memorable time when she'd chased what she thought was a unicorn through Epping Forest only for it to turn out to be some kid's runaway soapbox car. Now was no exception, and Alice listened patiently as Izzy got the day's events off her chest, from the arrival in Herefordshire all the way up to their late night journey back to civilization. At least, as far as Londoners tended to call it.

“Rough day, then. Poor baby...” Alice's voice was one of sympathy, and love. She shifted her head as much as she could, to let her lips meet the top of Izzy's head, before holding her hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. They stayed like that for a while longer, just happy to be together, until Izzy finally gathered the strength to lift herself up, and stand. She gave Alice a knowing look, and without a single word, kept hold of her hand, as she led the way to the bedroom. She knew she'd pay the price the next morning, by needing at least three cups of coffee before even daring to venture to the debrief with Nightingale, but for now she didn't care. She leaned in, and kissed Alice deeply and passionately, as they sank down into the soft covers and allowed the night to pass them by...
Nice work - bravo!

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:33 pm
by Snapper
@Trivun: nice one! 👍

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:57 pm
by Trivun
Thanks all!

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:22 am
by jp1885
Apologies for my silence - work’s a bit crazy at the moment.

I hope to start the next case file soon (I’m using you as guinea pigs, as I’m still writing it), so please can I have a roll call?

If I haven’t heard from you by Wednesday, I’ll assume you’re no longer interested and recruit some replacements if necessary :)

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:49 pm
by Snapper
Skipper is all present and as correct as he ever gets, ready to tackle the new threat.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:03 pm
by Trivun
Izzy is all ready and willing to get stuck in, plenty more wrong'uns to go arrest or deal with! 8-)

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:52 pm
by Philulhu
I’m in, just not had chance to update Des yet!

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan's also ready to tackle the new threat...possibly literally...

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:11 am
by SaintMeerkat
Leo is in. I am looking forward to helping burn down...err that is...solve another weird bollocks case.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:43 am
by Snapper
Skipper is going to buy every other member of the team one of those fly-spray sized fire extinguishers!

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:56 am
by Trivun
Why do you think Izzy's been practising chucking magic water bombs for a doggo to catch? :lol:

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:15 am
by jp1885
:lol:
Looks like a full house then - awesome! I’ll start the ball rolling soon…

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:10 pm
by Philulhu
Des will bank her development point so she can study magic (or until she gets bored and decides to do something else…)

Luck re-roll: 2d10+50

No improvement to luck.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:12 pm
by Trivun
Fun fact time! So I mention in Izzy's post that she dissected an "ox heart" at school... when I did GCSE Biology we had to dissect a heart and rather than the school providing them, they asked us all to bring in hearts from the local butchers - I now have a friend who works as a lab technician in a school in Manchester and he has to supply hearts from a local slaughterhouse for these classes, but my old school decided to be cheap and have us do it instead.

So, everyone else brought in pig or sheep hearts, which are fairly small. My mum went to a butcher near her office, and they had run out of anything smaller - all they had available were ox hearts, which are about 2 or 3 times the size of a sheep's heart. I had to keep it in my locker until the actual class began, then in class I was slicing open a massive heart while other kids near me were getting nauseous with the smell and the sight. I didn't actually finish cutting it up before the class ended because it was too big :lol:

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:58 am
by jp1885
SaintMeerkat wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:22 am DC Leo Dansby.jpg

During both of Leo's last outings, there were moments when an intense flash would have made everyone's lives easier, so he decided to spend his study time mastering the famous werelight. He spent an inordinate amount of time in view of the entrances, hoping to get a glimpse of Varvara, but she must have been as busy as Grant and Nightingale.
Don’t forget to add an extra Magic Point for every spell mastered :)

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:45 pm
by jp1885
Hey chums, BoyBlunder78 is rejoining us! Their character will be introduced just as soon as it’s created :)

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:25 pm
by SaintMeerkat
I apologize for disappearing for a bit. I am back.

Also, while catching up with the game thread, I noticed this:

2023-06-16_10-22-24.png

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:48 pm
by Trivun
Welcome back, and welcome BoyBlunder too! Also, damn, I thought the image looked vaguely familiar but I wasn't sure where from (I actually had the comedian and actor, Omid Djalili, in mind!).

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:18 pm
by jp1885
SaintMeerkat wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:25 pm I apologize for disappearing for a bit. I am back.

Also, while catching up with the game thread, I noticed this:

2023-06-16_10-22-24.png
Any likeness is entirely coincidental…

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hi everybody, it's good to be back. :D

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back!

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:01 am
by jp1885
Got a busy weekend ahead, so I’ll update when I can.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:21 am
by BoyBlunder78
Forgive me if this has been covered before. Is there a base level for skills you don't have?
For instance, my character doesn't have medicine can I still roll it?

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:50 pm
by jp1885
Not usually, but you can try ‘pushing your luck’, in which you spend 10 luck (iirc) and roll against half the associated characteristic (INT in the case of Medicine).

If no-one else has the skill, and you succeed, you can spend another 10 luck to permanently gain that skill at half the characteristic.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:31 pm
by Snapper
Welcome welcome!

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:14 pm
by BoyBlunder78
jp1885 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:50 pm Not usually, but you can try ‘pushing your luck’, in which you spend 10 luck (iirc) and roll against half the associated characteristic (INT in the case of Medicine).

If no-one else has the skill, and you succeed, you can spend another 10 luck to permanently gain that skill at half the characteristic.
Ahh, OK. Thank you.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:36 am
by Snapper
Clearly that PNC terminal is cursed / occupied by a revenant / turning into a baby river god.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:58 pm
by Trivun
Just a thought, are we specifically setting these case files in any particular time within or between the books so far? I was wondering as when I mentioned that thing in my last IC post about range of magic effect and CCTV, I remembered the first chapter of Amongst Our Weapons, I wondered if the case files are being set after the events of that book or before, or otherwise...

(probably doesn't matter unless we ever want to reference specific characters like PC Danni or otherwise, considering as well when Peter's twins are born :lol: )

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:17 am
by jp1885
The Folly expansion programme begins around the time of the graphic novel Monday, Monday; so we’re in a vaguely-defined period shortly after that.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:12 pm
by jp1885
Another busy weekend folks. I’ll update as soon as I’ve a mo.

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:31 pm
by jp1885
Some useful information...

Stages of a criminal investigation

1. Crime Instigation and Call Handling
2. Response and Management
3. Investigation and Suspect Management
4. Case Management and Court
5. Case Disposal

Police resources

Constables and Trainee Officers
Police Forensic Services
Specialist Firearms Command
Family Liaison Officers
Communications and Data Specialists
Financial Investigators
Pathologist
Home Office Large Major Enquiry System (HOLMES)
The Police National Computer (PNC)
The National Injuries Database (NID)
The National Fingerprint Database
The National DNA Database (NDNAD)

Police identity codes

IC1 = White – North European
IC2 = White – South European
IC3 = Black
IC4 = Asian (e.g. Indian, Pakistani etc.)
IC5 = Chinese, Japanese, or other Southeast Asian
IC6 = Arab or North African
IC9 = Unknown

The ABC rule

Assume Nothing.
Believe Nothing.
Challenge/Check Everything.

The 6 W's

Who was the Victim?
What happened?
Where did the incident take place?
When did it take place?
Why did it happen?
hoW did it happen?

TIE

Trace
Identify/Interview/Implicate
Eliminate

The 4 E's

Engage,
Explain,
Encourage,
Enforce

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:13 pm
by Snapper
That's very cool, thank you. A big part of the appeal of the RoL series has got to be that authentic police procedural attention to detail, spiced up obviously by the "Falcon" stuff.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:28 pm
by jp1885
Yeah, agreed. The rulebook is great for that kind of thing, plus lots of info about London and the Met for non-Londoners (especially country bumpkins like myself).

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:46 am
by Snapper
(A part of me was, in truth, attempting an acronym for (historically) oppressing the Irish, targeting minorities, and committing well concealed sex offences but that seemed in rather bad taste.)

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:13 pm
by SaintMeerkat
I will be travelling July 18th-July 31st. My current plan is to continue to post during that period, but this could affect my posting frequency.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:09 pm
by jp1885
Sorry folks, another busy week. I’ll update when I can :)

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:03 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:36 am
by BoyBlunder78
Nae worries :D

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:11 pm
by jp1885
Feel free to chat and roleplay among yourselves in the meantime :)

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:57 pm
by Philulhu
I’ll use the time to try to nail Des’ accent. I’m currently trying a mix of Jamaican patois and text speak…

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:54 pm
by Trivun
A few days after the investigation into one Karl Chichester's death had concluded, Izzy was home with Alice enjoying a few relaxing days off. It wasn't often she got to take time away from the Folly for any extended period, so she was determined to make the most of it. Of course, she had paid a follow-up visit to the garden centre after the investigation was done, being on the hunt for one thing in particular...

She was in the kitchen area of the open-plan main room, washing up after a date night pasta dinner, while Alice lay sprawled across the sofa with a book, yet another band t-shirt this time declaring her love for Driftwood Drive, brown hair lying messily on the cushions. In the background, a music mix played through Alexa, before the soft indie tunes were disturbed by a call from a melodic voice.

"Izzy? You know that plant you picked up the other day?"

Putting down the plate she was currently scrubbing clean, Izzy stepped over and took a furtive glance at the plant in its pot on the sideboard nearest the front door, before looking back to Alice.

"Um, I know of it... why?"

"Just wondered what it actually was. Because I'm pretty sure your cat is doing things that, if you saw a human doing, you would have to arrest them for."

Both women turned and stared at Freya as she lay on the floor, in front of the TV unit, where the tiny ball of black and white fluff started out by lying on her back, all four paws up in the air, perfectly still. Before either of them could say or do anything else, Freya slowly began to roll onto her side, then onto her front, and all the way over onto her back once more. Her tongue poked out a little, and her paws began to clutch at the air above her, as if trying to grab at a mouse floating high. A few more seconds, and she let out the longest and most satisfying meow that Izzy had ever heard any cat attempt, ever. This pattern repeated a couple of times, and as they watched, Freya appeared to be having the most relaxed and yet incoherent time of her life.

"Well? Anything you want to admit?" Alice's expression gave absolutely nothing away, and at that moment in time, there was no way Izzy would have challenged her to a game of poker. At least Izzy herself had the decency to look somewhat embarrassed.

"It's not what it looks like..." Izzy began, half-heartedly, struggling to keep a straight face.

"Come on, Izz. I've met your brother."

The perils of having a brother who enjoyed weed. Since joining the Met, Izzy tended to call him well ahead before visiting her brother's place so he had time to make sure she had nothing to arrest him for on arrival. At least it wasn't ever anything harder.

"I mean, it's perfectly fine, cats love that stuff. I just... thought it'd be funny."

In all fairness, Alice couldn't argue with that assessment. She kept the stone-face façade up for as long as she could, before breaking down into a fit of giggles, swiftly followed by Izzy, as they abandoned their respective activities, and cuddled up on the sofa, to watch Freya as high as the birds she dreamed of catching...

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:00 am
by Snapper
If Skipper's motor-mouthed wide-boy chatter is getting annoying, it can be dialed down.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:04 am
by Trivun
I'm fine with it myself, thought it made for an amusing interlude, that's why Izzy didn't say anything but thought something instead after it had already been dealt with by others :D

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:27 pm
by jp1885
It’s all good - I just get a little nervous when PC’s start arguing about racial stereotyping. Stop being such good roleplayers! :D

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:51 am
by Snapper
OK, but in my defence, Skipper's comment was not meant to be about or because of racial stereotyping (and I'm Australian so the ethnic heritage of Londoners is an abstract concept to me). Skipper's comment was based on an entirely spurious and unsupported assumption that Des lives on a diet of junk food and potato crisps because she's a London street urchin, not because of race but because London has street urchins and she appears to be one. And Des is fun to poke because Des fires back.

That said, I shall do my best to avoid race issues from now on. Forgive my defensiveness but around here, being accused of being rascist is a good way to get suspended / sacked from your employment.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:17 am
by jp1885
For the record, I certainly wasn’t accusing any players of racism! Maybe I was making a mountain out of a molehill, for which I apologise.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:40 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:05 pm
by Philulhu
I didn’t take it as racist. I was just playing Des as overly prickly 😬

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:49 am
by Snapper
I'm very pleased to hear that! And Des does do excellent spiky-energy. 👍

Right, let's go find the giant carnivorous plants.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:27 pm
by jp1885
Sorry for my silence folks - another busy week! I’ll post an update when I can.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:07 pm
by Philulhu
No problem. Life gets in the way sometimes!

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:44 pm
by Mr. Handy
jp1885 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:27 pm Sorry for my silence folks - another busy week! I’ll post an update when I can.
That's fine, I understand. If you do have time again later, would you be interested in taking over the character of Brook again in my game? Her player has been very busy too and hasn't had time to play.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:13 pm
by jp1885
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:44 pm
jp1885 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:27 pm Sorry for my silence folks - another busy week! I’ll post an update when I can.
That's fine, I understand. If you do have time again later, would you be interested in taking over the character of Brook again in my game? Her player has been very busy too and hasn't had time to play.
I’d love to mate, but I can’t devote any more time to gaming than I do already. Work is will-sappingly busy at the moment!

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy
I understand, and I know the feeling. If things ever ease up, the offer remains open.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:16 pm
by jp1885
Gonna be away for a couple of days, so no updates for a bit :)

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:51 pm
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am
by Snapper
With apologies to any Aryan Supremacist readers for my skinhead stereotyping. :D

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:40 pm
by Snapper
Leo, be daring! Run the risk of hyper-brain-melt degradation, one of the cool background core tenets of the RoL setting. Be the first!

And if you fail the roll, well, surely Leo's looks and style have always been more important to the party than his brains anyway?

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:01 am
by jp1885
Be warned: in my other RoL game, one player pushed a failed magic roll, fumbled that, then fumbled the HTD roll. It wasn’t pretty…

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:59 am
by Snapper
Leo's the team pretty-boy, he doesn't need too many functional brain cells for that! The rest of the party can just steer / bobble him in the right direction after the HTD has exacted its awful toll...

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Morbidly a part of me wants to see what happens.......

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:45 pm
by SaintMeerkat
I like the thought of being the pretty boy for our motley crew. I will do my best not to let you down with my sartorial choices.

Cauliflower brain is not a desired outcome for my character, so I have decided to avoid pushing rolls unless lives are on the line.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:00 pm
by jp1885
Lol fair enough! I’ll post an update as soon as I’ve a mo.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:59 am
by Snapper
Just finished the "Wolf" UK TV series (Game of Thrones goes mad in a modern day Welsh murder mystery). Keep thinking Ukweli Roach would make a brilliant Peter Grant...

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:53 pm
by jp1885
Sorry folks - having a crazy week at work that's sapping all my mental energy. I'll be back posting soon!

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:36 am
by BoyBlunder78
Nae worries :D

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:42 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:33 am
by Snapper
What's a good collective noun for skinheads?

A stain of skinheads.

A Reich of skinheads.

A hooligan of skinheads.

(Too soon for allegedly humorous misuse of Reich?)

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy
A Gruppe of skinheads?

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:50 pm
by Snapper
👍. I like it.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:03 am
by Trivun
So, fun fact time, my younger brother is in the police and he's explained to me before that this is actually how they deal with boy racers in real life - chasing them down or trying to stop them in the middle of racing is too dangerous, so they will literally park up a distance away on whatever car park the racers are meeting at, get all the registration numbers of the cars and run those through the DVLA to get the identities of the owners, then go and arrest them the next day instead, or send a summons to court in the post, with the photos and such from the night before as evidence.

My brother's done that a few times before he moved to his current team (Response) while he was moving between teams when training, watching the racers on car parks of supermarkets and shopping centres before they start. Which is how I figured out what Izzy's reaction would be to Skipper taking his candid shots :P

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:49 am
by jp1885
Thanks - Every day’s a school day! I really should brush up on police procedures - surely they’re available for public viewing online :)

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:33 pm
by SaintMeerkat
There has been a movement away from car chases over here in the states because they are so dangerous. Some local departments now have strict rules about automobile chases, especially in urban areas where civilian casualties could mount up quickly. But I'm convinced driving fast is one of the reasons police over here sign up for the job in the first place, so I don't think we will ever completely get rid of the practice.

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:13 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Sorry for the lack of posting. I missed the link to the currwnt chapter........ :oops:

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:02 am
by Snapper
Will Grimes looks like Martin Freeman as a white supremacist.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:24 am
by Snapper
Yes, very expensive, but Skipper really doesn't have enough brain cells to spare that he can afford to start melting them.

I spent quite some time internally debating whether to "push" the DEX roll instead...

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:41 pm
by jp1885
Thanks for playing 'Speed Demons!'

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing and running it.

By all means roleplay your characters' closing scenes in the adventure and I'd be happy to hear any feedback you might have.

I hope you'll join me in the next case file, which I'll begin in the new year!

Cover2a.jpg

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
Thanks, JP. I enjoyed that 🙂

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:12 am
by BoyBlunder78
Thanks, I really enjoyed my first trip into the world of Rivers of London :D

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:16 am
by Trivun
Thank you! Really enjoyed it, and I look forward to the next one, although I'll need to write up a vignette about Izzy in the aftermath because she's definitely going to be feeling super guilty about causing a man's death! Even if he was a piece of human excrement!

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, thank you, that was great!

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:14 am
by Snapper
I am loving these!

Has inspired me to revisit the books. Or the audio book versions thereof. Am up to

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:15 am
by Snapper
I am loving these! Please don't stop.

Has inspired me to revisit the books. Or the audio book versions thereof, on the way to and from work. Am going in order and currently halfway through Broken Homes.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:38 pm
by jp1885
Snapper wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:15 am I am loving these! Please don't stop.

Has inspired me to revisit the books. Or the audio book versions thereof, on the way to and from work. Am going in order and currently halfway through Broken Homes.
No intention of stopping just yet, but taking a break until January :)

It’s great that you’re revisiting the books - I’m a big fan of the series (obviously!)

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:05 pm
by Trivun
The next book in the series has been released actually, one of the planned novellas, focusing on Kimberley Reynolds (who just happens to be one of my favourite characters) - Winter's Gifts.

Which you'd think with that name would be another one set in Germany, with Tobias Winter, but apparently not...

I'll be getting it, but waiting for the paperback release, it's only out in hardcover at the moment.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:33 pm
by jp1885
It's really good! Different to the usual RoL stuff, but worth a read.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:13 pm
by SaintMeerkat
Thank you, JP! That was a lot of fun. I had a marvelous time.

I am looking forward to the next chapter of our story.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:32 am
by jp1885
Ooh, I almost forgot - you each get 2 Development points for completing the case file.

Also, re-roll your Luck (2d10+50) and take the result if it is higher than your current Luck.

Magic points are reset and you recover from any Damage or Impairment.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:22 am
by Snapper
Cool cool!

Team, want to have the characters reconvene at some cafe near the Folly, say a week later?

Everyone could just keep posting on the current forum (Down Lane). Could be a chance to see how the characters are travelling after having had a week to decompress. Just a thought.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am
by BoyBlunder78
Cool, sounds like a plan.
Sorry to be a pain, but could you remind me how development points work? And do you get the chance to increase any passed skill checks?

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:04 pm
by jp1885
I’ll start an epilogue thread for you to write in :)

Development points;

To raise existing skill
• If 80 or less – 1 point to raise 1 skill by 10, or 2 by 5 each, to a max of 80
• If 81 – 90 - 1 point to raise 1 skill by 5, to a max of 90
• If 91+ - 1 point to raise 1 skill by 1, to a max of 99
To gain new skill – 1 point to gain skill at ½ associated characteristic (page 117 of the rulebook)
Learn new spell (page 179) – 1 point
• Must know 2 spells in previous spell order
• Cannot learn more spells in spell order than in any lower orders
Master spell – 1 point – also increases Magic Points by 1
• Cannot Master newly learned spell
• Cannot Learn/Master more than once per development phase
To buy normal Advantage – 5 points
To buy major Advantage – 10 points

No skill improvement checks like there is in CoC.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:31 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll spend 1 point to raise Social from 60 to 70 and the other to raise Fighting from 40 to 50.

Luck reroll:
2d10+50

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:40 pm
by jp1885
Wishing my investigators a fantastic festive season. Thanks for joining me on our adventures and here’s to more mystery and mayhem next year!

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:28 pm
by SaintMeerkat
Happy Hogswatch, everyone!
RDT_20231224_1424226388478810300217378~2.jpg

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:38 am
by Philulhu
Merry Christmas, everyone! 🙂

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:10 am
by Trivun
Happy Non-Denominational Day of Festive Cheer and Feasting, all!

Oh, and Merry Christmas too, I guess...

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:33 am
by Snapper
Merry Xmas! 🎄

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Merry Christmas to one and all 🎅🎊

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:01 am
by SaintMeerkat
Traveling for a few days. Be back next week.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:17 pm
by Snapper
HNY from early on the date line!

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:21 am
by Trivun
Somewhat later than the correct time, but Happy New Year all!

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:36 am
by BoyBlunder78
Happy New Year!!! From sometime on the right day.....

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:45 pm
by jp1885
Happy new year folks! Keep an eye out for the next adventure, starting soon (or when I work out which one to run next).

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:48 pm
by jp1885

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:14 pm
by Snapper
2d10+50L

And I think increases to Obs and Research.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:36 pm
by Trivun
I forgot to do my character updates! Will do so once home from work later...

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:45 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Christ!! I never saw the bloody epilogue!! Wasn't being ignorant just completely missed it... sorry folks. I'll update my character later.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:01 pm
by Trivun
2d10+50

Luck roll to see if it's higher than 35 (has to be, right? :P )

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:15 pm
by Trivun
Also, done my character updates - I've mastered a spell (Aqua) and learned a new 1st order spell (Flash Bulb), seems like my character development is mostly going to be to build up a good magical repertoire over time...

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:28 am
by BoyBlunder78
Luck 60...
Pooh squeaked it...62 lol
Increases to observation and stealth

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:16 pm
by Snapper
I'm thinking Jordan found an old tome, dirty and smelly and moldy (in the CoC tradition), and decided it would be more legible if carefully washed in a bathtub of petrol. As he was cleaning the book, he decided to light his favourite (Gwyneth Paltrow brand) candle to help calm his nerves. He placed the candle near the bathtub to fight the stench of petrol...

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
:lol: Or keeping in the CoC vain, as he's squinting to read some faded text in an antiquated tome, Jordan reaches for a magnifying glass and standing infront of the window as the sun beams in to aid with his reading......

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:30 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
Des will again bank her development points so she can study magic.

Luck re-roll: 2d10+50

No improvement to luck (currently 69)

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:12 am
by SaintMeerkat
Luck Re-Roll

2d10+50

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:56 am
by Snapper
By the way, Skipper was making all that up about numerous stops. I imagine the team made best possible speed to Leek Land. Skipper was just enjoying winding up the liaison, as is his wayward want.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:07 pm
by SaintMeerkat
And I was covering for you.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:54 am
by Snapper
As ever and much appreciated! :D 👍

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm old enough that I watched Blake's 7 when it aired on TV. I'd love to have it on video too, as I haven't seen it in so long, but it isn't available on this side of the pond as far as I know.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:01 am
by SaintMeerkat
I was 12 when it came out, but it took going to sci-fi cons in the late '80s to get it on my radar. Then it because this incredible white whale I chased for a few years until the internet came along. I eventually got to watch it all in '05 (or so) and loved it.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:16 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I've vague memories of various episodes when I used catch it when my brothers were watching it, got it all teed up on britbox to watch after I've got through all classic Who (nearly through Bakers second season..) The one thing that stuck with me about Blakes 7 and most 70's-80's sci-fi was the banging theme tunes!

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:11 pm
by jp1885
Anyone remember Sapphire and Steel? Scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, and it also holds its own nowadays too.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Love it!! Wish they had done more. Soo creepy. Retwatching it now, on the Faceless man episodes. It was quite a dark series.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
I haven't seen Sapphire and Steel, but I've been a Doctor Who fan since 1981, and I've got as complete a collection of Classic Who as still survives. I just got the new version of The Underwater Menace, with animation replacing the two missing episodes, and I'm in the middle of watching it. Tom Baker is my favorite Doctor, and his second season was excellent.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:07 pm
by jp1885
My earliest Dr. Who memory is watching The Invasion of Time at my nan's. The Sontarans freaked me out - I remember thinking how weird it was how their heads fitted their helmets exactly! Been a fan ever since.

I haven't seen the Underwater Menace animation yet, but the others are pretty good, so I'll give it a whirl sometime.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:15 pm
by Mr. Handy
I saw Invasion of Time early, but the first Doctor Who story I saw was The Invisible Enemy. Tom Baker was the first Doctor I saw, and he remains my favorite. I also liked K-9, though I was still too young at the time to truly appreciate Leela.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
The first Dr Who I saw was Jon Pertwee, although I’d consider Tom Baker as “my” Doctor, as I think I saw all of his episodes. The first episode I remember featured the Autons in a quarry.

I remember Blake’s 7 as well, although I was less of a fan.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Jon Pertwee is great too. Probably Terror of the Autons was the one with the quarry. The Master was introduced in that one too, as were Jo Grant and Mike Yates. The other story featuring the Autons was earlier, Spearhead From Space. That one introduced Pertwee, and also Liz Shaw (my favorite companion) and the UNIT team (though the Brigadier and Benton were introduced in the late Troughton era).

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:14 am
by Philulhu
I was six when JP stopped playing Dr Who so it must have been the later one. Quite scary for a kid of that age but no lasting harm done (just typing this from behind the sofa! 🤣)

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:25 am
by BoyBlunder78
My first Doctor was Colin Baker and the Terror of the Vervoids which scared me. They reminded me of another British TV show from the 80"s Day of the Triffids, Now that did scare me. Odd thing is though,my first memory of Doctor Who was Pyramids of Mars,it was repeated on a Sunday on a UK satellite channel, and my first video was Spearhead from Space, git a soft spot for all the Doctors.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:33 am
by Snapper
My earliest Dr Who was Jon Pertwee, who I love to this day. Then Tom Baker, who turned 90 today! Grew up with TB Dr Who in "real-time" [#] but came to really appreciate Pertwee in repeats. The ABC in Australia routinely repeated episodes of Dr Who (back to back with The Goodies) so we got to see 3rd Dr and 4th Dr episodes multiple times. Pyramids of Mars is a favourite btw. And UNIT and the Brig and Sarah-Jane...

And I love Blake's 7. Back in the day, had to program the VHS recorder to tape the episodes on ABC. "Vila weighs 73kg..."

[#] The ultimate contradiction in terms has to be Dr Who in real-time.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 am
by Philulhu
I’ve got Day of the Triffids on DVD - that’s one of my favourites. I’ve got the book as well, a tatty paperback I picked up as a student in the ‘80s that I still read from time to time.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
It was the sound they made thst really got to me and there 'tongue' attack... :o

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:26 pm
by Philulhu
Yeah, not pleasant! 😬

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:37 am
by Snapper
I loved those triffids so much, I spent all of Year 10 recreating them first in wax then in clay. Something about the design resonated. Hey, I got 'A's and it was the last year I did Art.

My love of triffids may be influencing Skipper too. A tiny bit.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy
I don't have Day of the Triffids on DVD, but I've seen it on TV several times, including recently. Carole Ann Ford, who later played Susan in Doctor Who, was in it as well.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:10 am
by Snapper
Is that the 1981 tv series?

Tap tap tap...

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:32 am
by Philulhu
That’s the one. One of the Beeb’s better productions of the time.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:34 am
by Snapper
Teenaged me loved those triffids. It may have been an early sign...

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:05 am
by BoyBlunder78
That's them buggers!! I can hear that picture.... :shock:

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy
I was thinking of the 1959 movie. I'd forgotten about the 1981 TV series, but I believe I saw it when it first aired. I just don't remember it much.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:09 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I remember Carole Ann Ford in he movie..I think...didn't she die a gruesome death as she tried to escape from. the house?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that's right. The movie was actually 1963, the same year that Doctor Who started, but it was probably first.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:29 am
by Trivun
Not gonna lie, with all the guilt Izzy is feeling over the death of Will Grimes and all the therapy and counselling she's still going through, I think it's actually really apt and poetic that she was the only one to pass the Vestigia check and ended up going through all that in the process...

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:09 am
by jp1885
The stars certainly aligned for that scene!

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:47 am
by Snapper
Nice rolling, Eli! The Research Sensei...

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:39 am
by jp1885
You two are rocking the research!

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:24 am
by BoyBlunder78
There is nothing we don't, can't, or will ever not know......your secrets are an open book to us.....

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:41 am
by Philulhu
:lol:

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:15 am
by Snapper
The team will receive a group messaging (WhatsApp, Signal etc) message from Skipper that an email dump is heading their way.

I've copied Skipper and Eli's findings to the Place for Clues forum, mostly successfully except the last bit.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:39 am
by Philulhu
I can’t see the screenshot. Or is that the bit where they were unsuccessful?

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:38 am
by Snapper
Yeah, that didn't copy across as a quote on the forum but assume Skipper sent the actual item to the rest of the team.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:28 am
by Snapper
Message to the team group chat:

The apparently immortal lollipop lady will be at the school crossing at end of school today.

Oy Voodoo 5-0: Is there actually an underworld and can people get sent to it? Like as a punishment? I count 4 disappearances of naughty people in about the last 120 years, if you include Preacher Jones and Short.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:26 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Mesage to team group chat.

There are tales of offerings being made at 'The Grove to send enemies to the Underworld and like Snapper said there at least 4 accounts of undesirables disappearing mysteriously. However ive yet to find the actual location of the Grove, though evidence does hint towards the crossing.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:21 pm
by Trivun
  Message from Izzy to team group chat:  
Interviews still to go ahead with witnesses, but lollipop lady is now top of the list. And no, never heard of any real underworld, but I'm an atheist. Might be a bit biased.

A pause between messages - Izzy is left on 'typing' for a long time, as if she's really thinking hard. Or writing an essay.  
Saw a weird black portal when I fell at the crossing. Like it wanted to pull me in.

Another long pause, on 'typing'.  
I'm scared.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:26 am
by Snapper
Message to the Team Folly Group Chat from Skipper:

Snap out of it, Voodoo Child, you are so not the Naughtiest Girl In School among us. You don't appear to be mean to your gf. You're largely quite nice to us. I'd accuse you of being wholesome except for the slight shade of bossiness.

No, if anyone's getting sent to the Underworld for being naughty, obviously the first candidate is Des.

Anyway, according to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, ancient Greeks / Romans used to visit the Underworld and rescue loved ones all the sodding time.

(Eli is checking out the 1 leek exhibit in the local museum display. I'm off to see what's what at the local council.)

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:32 pm
by Philulhu
Reply from Des:

Ok boomer whateva u say 🙄

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:02 am
by SaintMeerkat
Leo is singing showtunes in our thread. This one is from The Music Man.

https://youtu.be/mvhFs2bdRpE?si=eYO0G1wYsMnZZdnz&t=131

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Jordan sends a message:

"Izzy found a crumpled printout of an email from the Museum and Library trustees that says the building could not be sold by the council for development because it was bequeathed to the people in perpetuity by the former owner in 1936. Eli, can you please find out anything about that, and who its former owner was?"

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
Eli sends a mesage.
Ok, one will try.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:31 am
by jp1885
Oops, forgot to respond to Skipper’s visit to the town hall. Sorry Snapper, I’ll get onto that when I’ve got a spare minute!

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:22 am
by Snapper
Cool cool.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:06 am
by BoyBlunder78
Eli summarises his findings:
I looked up the 1891, 1901, 1911 and 1921 censuses, and found that the building was previously owned by the Llewellyn family. The father was a lawyer and had three daughters and a son. The son, by all accounts possibly perished in the Great War this was followed by Mrs. Llewellyn a year later in 1917. Later, the two eldest daughters married and flew the coop, leaving a Miss Ada Llewellyn to rattle around the place until she passed away in 1937, aged 84. From then it was bequeathed to the town for use as a library.
The exhibitions...(aside from a shocking lack of leeks....) from what I could make out were possible offerings which were discovered when Grove Road was widened. Also of interest was a stone tablet with some kind of figurine. There was little information forthcoming about this item and due to the state of the display case I couldn't get a good look at it.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:08 am
by Snapper

Managed to get the minion at the council to fork over such paperwork as there is about the council trying to sell the library / museum. Confirmed what we already knew. Short was behind the move.

Eli's new friend the evil librarian Mrs Trindle was the one batting letters back to the council saying "No". Makes me start to wonder how much she knows or if she has a connection to the lollipop lady? Oy, Eli, after hitting her with your Dark Sarcasm, are you down in the Underworld toasting marshmallows with, umm, Hades? (Have to listen to Percy Jackson again for research.)

Voodoo Child: seriously, you can do magic, fly on a broom, and you know River Gods, but you claim to be an atheist? Isn't there a bit of crossed wiring there?

Where is everyone? Run out of fun to be had here. Badly need some leek soup. Has Des converted to Welshness?

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:47 am
by Philulhu
Message from Des:

🙄

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:49 am
by BoyBlunder78
Message from Eli

I wouldnt worry about Ms Trindle, she is a pussycat although her general disposition could freeze Hades. Although Snapper I would be careful crossing the road if i were you.....

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:08 pm
by Snapper

That school crossing! Left me with a vague feeling of unease and guilt.

Which, coincidentally, is the title of my sex tape. :o

Heading toward the school.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:31 pm
by Trivun
  Message to group chat from Izzy:  
That's probably not a sex tape title you should be sharing with two police officers, just saying...

Will rendezvous with you soon, trying to find the lollipop lady now.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:47 pm
by Philulhu
Message from Des:

Old people havin sex? 🤮

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:02 am
by Snapper

Gordon Bennett. Not every joke is an admission of criminal offences. You plod are such kill joys.

Shall be at the school in short order. Fight the urge to arrest me for humour with intent.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:33 am
by Snapper

Off to have tea with some lovely old dears.

Mrs Evans, the lollipop lady, is so old that no-one knows where she lives or what she eats or where she shops.

It seems most likely she lives in a coffin in a crypt, drinks blood, and we should be buying garlic, holy water, crucifixes, and silver bullets.

Voodoo 5-0: I really hope you and your Level 1 spells are a match for the greater undead...

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:56 am
by Snapper

OK, so the divorced first wife took the kids and went to Florida.

The upgrade - the younger Russian wife 2.0 in the grand mid-life crisis style - bailed when the locals got wind of his dodgy dealings. She's gone to Cardiff.

Got another 3 disappearances over the decades of people who were at the time behaving well villainously.

I have to say, everyone who has been disappeared well deserved it. Perhaps we should leave them all wherever they are?

On the topic, where are you all? I've finished my tea break. Will come and find.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:35 pm
by jp1885
Hey folks, I’m going to be away for a few days (short Easter break), so might not be posting much.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:01 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 am
by BoyBlunder78
No worries, have fun , don't forget to bring some Easter eggs back. :D

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 pm
by Snapper
Well now this could be amusing...

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Could it.........? As Eli grabs the bloke and skips his way to the crossing?

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hi everyone, I'm currently in holiday and this is probaly the last Internet I can get for a week......soooo if I go missing for a while feel free to play as me....hopefully I'll be a able to ste...borrows someone's Internet....

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm
by BoyBlunder78
What stellar effect has my magnificent roll had on Eli?

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:56 pm
by jp1885
He completely failed to resist Mrs. Evans’ compulsion, so was forced to go to the school crossing (and on to the new post).

It’s a moot point actually, as Mrs. Evans spent a shedload of Luck to turn her POW roll into a 1 (Demi monde can do that), beating everyone’s score, success or not.

Not railroady at all, no siree.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:28 pm
by jp1885
New post coming soon - bit busy at work currently.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:58 am
by Snapper
If Des looks like wandering off to Hell, Skipper will attempt to use a BJJ throw to deposit her (relatively gently) road-side.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:45 am
by Philulhu
Old witch vs Des’ iron-clad self-belief! 😏

Posted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:17 pm
by jp1885
Update coming soon folks, just as soon as I have a free minute.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:08 pm
by SaintMeerkat
I am going to traveling to Germany for the next two weeks, so my posting will be spotty or not at all.

I apologize for the short notice.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 2:50 am
by Snapper
Can I just check what happened? Leo made a POW roll instead of CON, or was that just a typo and it was the CON roll? And then Leo fireballed Mrs Evans but hit the unloved Councillor Short instead? Where did Short come from? Or was he something only the two magic coppers can see?

Just wanted to be clear before I posted another action for Skipper.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:31 am
by jp1885
Probably a lack of description on my part.

Leo should’ve rolled CON, so I took the result of his POW.

Mrs. Evans turned into the gateway, through which you were swallowed, so she’s no longer present. She’s been telling you that she is the gatekeeper and the gate itself :)

So when Leo cast his fireball, it hit Councillor Short as he ran towards you. Luckily he only took 1 Damage, so is just a little singed!

Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 11:19 am
by Snapper
Cool. I thought perhaps Leo had been asked to make a POW roll to see something the rest of us couldn't.

So really, Short was just in the wrong place. What a shame.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 12:07 pm
by jp1885
Yeah, I thought fireballing the guy you’re supposed to be bringing to justice was too good an opportunity to miss :D

Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:58 pm
by Snapper
Excellent... 👍

Posted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:24 am
by Snapper
Irrelevant observation:

I was delighted to see in the grim but (I thought) excellent film "Civil War", the young wannabe war photo-journalist Jessie was using a Nikon FE2, a very close contemporary of Skipper's F3.

And Jessie was using pre-digital film tech due to the unreliability of the Internet in the setting of the film. Not a million miles from Skipper's need to keep away from silicon chips, different reason but same result.

You will be in no way surprised to read that I used to use digital SLRs professionally (Nikons in fact) and the idea of using old fashioned film cameras appeals to me much like using vinyl appeals to music buffs.

If Skipper survives, he may swap to an FE2.