Statement 3: Flowers Fields

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Statement 3: Flowers Fields

Post by Snapper »

As they walk towards the shop, Skipper looks at Izzy, gives a happy grunt and shrugs. "Thought of getting some members of our little squad to be on the look out for Audrey was, well, worth a try. I have no clue what's below decks in the Folly, for the record."

"I don't suppose Triffids are a thing, are they? Too much to hope for I guess, not so much magic as bleak, old school sci-fi."

As they approach and enter the shop, Skipper keeps snapping photos, but he stops - somewhat respectfully - when he sees the woman / creature and lowers the venerable Nikon F-3. He does scan the shop to see if there are any more like her about.
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

The old woman chuckles.

"I can't say I'm aware of your reputation, but I did hear on the grapevine that The Nightingale got himself some more little birds for his aviary. What interesting times we live in eh?"

She puts down the box file she was inspecting and grins.

"I'm Maud Flowers, owner of this establishment. Are you here to buy your master a pot plant, or does The Starling need a pair of shears for that lovely garden his young lady owns?"
SaintMeerkat
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Secretly, Leo was a little relieved that the woman didn't know about the burning down about Leo's torching of the skittles alley. Just as well, he supposed. While Peter once admitted he believed his friends and colleagues had a rota taking turns rescuing him, at least they hadn't needed bailing out. Not yet.

"The very same," he said, giving a bit of a bow. "The pleasure is all ours, Miss Flowers. The Chinese, I believe, have a saying about interesting times..." his voice trails off, leaving the thought unfinished.

"You know, he didn't mention it, but I suppose Molly wouldn't mind some color to spruce up the place upon our return. A pot plant sounds delightful. Something that will travel well," said as he reached for his wallet.

Is this a name we recognize? Is she a known quantity in the magical underground or demimonde?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Hmm... Try a Magic or Occult roll. On a Hard success you might have picked up the name during your training.  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper is lurking in the background. He makes eye contact with Des, Jordan and Eli, raising an eyebrow. Speaking quietly, he says, "Shears for his lady's lovely garden? Umm...?" He rubs his stubbly goatee absently.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan nods in return to Skipper. "Interesting times indeed, Ms. Flowers," he says. "Has business been good lately?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Walking jn behind everyone else, Eli casts his eyes around the shop. "My isn't this quaint?" He mumbles to himself. Thinking that when he can je should ask Jordan more about this red moss.
1d100

1d100
OOC:   Sweet mary mother of god!  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des looked about, slightly bemused by it all. Very few of the people she knew growing up had gardens or even outside space. She knew a few lads interested in the propagation of plants but they were the type which would have the Police kicking doors in, rather than people going, ‘Ooh, ain’t that pretty…’
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"I'll take shears to you in a minute young man!" snaps Maud, clearly unimpressed by Skipper's quip. She shakes her head at Des and Izzy. "Men eh?"

She shakes her head sadle before focussing her gaze on Leo. "Molly - heh, yeah that's the one," she chuckles "Always asking after my chillies, as if I'd have any spare!"

She turns to Eli, blocking his view of the till.

"Quaint? I prefer 'artisan' - everything's artizan nowadays isn't it? No reason why a garden centre should be artisan too."

To Jordan, she tilts her head.

"Now why would the Isaacs be interested in my business? We Flowers have been growing plants for the discerning customer for generations and we've never broken the agreement. Well, not as you'd notice anyway. So are you buying or is there sommat else you want?"

"The interesting stuff's round they back young lady,"
she says to Des.

Everyone else can make a Sense Vestigia roll if they like.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des glanced at the old woman quizzically. Did she just read her mind?! Gazing at Maud suspiciously, she nevertheless craned her neck to look beyond the old woman to see what was found the back…

Sense Vestigia (60%) 1d100
SaintMeerkat
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 674 times
"We are definitely buying. I would love to have a pot plant for Molly and for me mum," Leo said. "Something nice. Something that travels well."

OOC:   If it makes any difference, remember we decided I studied with Varvara.  
Magic (70/45): 1d100

Observation (60/30): 1d100

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Oh, Isaacs didn't ask," says Jordan. "I was just making conversation."

Sense Vestigia roll (30% base skill) in the flower shop:
d%
Observation roll (70% skill) in the flower shop:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 5 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy starts out mildly surprised at the fact that the establishment is run by someone clearly of the demi-monde, but the surprise passes quickly as she thinks that it makes perfect sense. After all, the strange liquid found with Karl's stuff clearly came from here, going by the letters on the bottle, so of course there must be something other than mundane here.

She allows herself a quick smile at the "men, eh?" comment, before responding. "DC Izzy Cooper, it's a pleasure. Don't worry, we're not interested in the... 'other' stuff you mentioned."

Izzy can't help but think about her brother for a few seconds, although she normally gives him a heads up before visiting to make sure any 'herbal remedies' are discreetly removed before she arrives. Not exactly within the rules, but family is family, after all.

"If you have catnip then I'll gladly pay another visit when we're not on a case, I can get a treat for Freya. But for now, we're looking into something else."

She gestures to Sgt. Dhillon, asking her to produce the evidence bag containing the bottle found in the late Chichester's kitchen, with the small amount of mysterious fluid inside. "Does this look familiar to you at all, ma'am?"

All the while, she keeps a sharp eye, ear and nose out for anything else in the atmosphere...

Sense Vestigia - 60%  
1d100

Magic - 60%  
1d100

Observation - 60%  
1d100
  Spend 5 points of Luck to turn that into a success...  
Last edited by Trivun on Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper is largely trying to stay at the back and keep out of the way.

"It's not like I have any objection to shears for lovely ladies' gardens, I have no real preferences, neutral as Switzerland," he can be heard to mutter.

30% 1d%

Fail.  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Ok, very artisan. It does have its own uniqueness" Eli says with a smile, " Do you work.here alone?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des glared at Skipper. She knew exactly which ‘ladies gardens’ he was referring to…
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper returns glare-fire at Des. He hooks a thumb in the general direction of the plant nursery and hoarsely (but completely illogically) whispers, "At least I've eaten a green vegetable more than once in my entire life. And hot chips don't count."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Yams an’ rice an’ peas!” snapped Des, listing three staples of the Jamaican diet.

”U got any more lazy racial stereotypes?”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Lazy racial stereotype?!" Skipper splutters, still trying to be quiet but somewhat failing. "You're from north London, for God's sake! And yams and rice are not green by the way. I don't think they're even vegetables."

"A lazy racial stereotype would be to say that Spock over there," he hooks the pointer thumb at the weird fairy hippy shopkeep as he continues to whisper loudly, "Has repressed emotions and a fondness for logic."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Des and Skipper - you hear a not so subtle sigh from behind you, and find yourselves ushered outside by Sergeant Dhillon.

“I don’t know how you Folly lot are trained, but Surrey Police officers save their arguments for the briefing room, not in front of the general public!”

Return to “Rivers of London”