Statement 2: Investigators, Investigate!

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Re: Statement 2: Investigators, Investigate!

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Leo smiled reassuringly. He got that look of panic from time to time. "Don't worry. We're not here to arrest you for an overdue parking ticket. Just doing a bit of homework."

Leo took the pamphlet. "Thank you, Lauren. Like I said, we won't be too much trouble."

He turned to leave and then turned back before saying "Oh, just one more thing... Do you have Wi-Fi? I need to connect to the Met VPN."

Research (60/30): 1d100

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Thank you," says Jordan. He sits down at the terminal and before long finds something of interest.

Research roll (60% skill) looking through periodicals from 1982:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Des, Izzy and Skipper

At the mention of 'Who do you think you are?', the vicar can't help but look past you for hidden cameras. Then she tuts at herself, chuckling good-humouredly at her foolishness.

"Oh I do like that programme," she exclaims. "Most of our records have been transferred to the archive centre in town, but we have copies. Come with me please."

She leads you into the church - somewhat gloomy in the low light, with lofty wooden eaves, severe oak pews and an impressive wooden tracery screen bedecked with carved fruits separating the nave from the chancel.

Switching on the lights, she disappears into the vestry. A few minutes later she re-emerges with a large hard-cover book.

"1982 you say? Snelgrove?" She plonks the book onto the lectern and flips through it. "Simons... Slade... Smith... another Smith... Ah, here we are, Snelgrove! Buried Thursday 1st April."

She shows you the entry, which includes the location of his grave.

"Cremated by the looks - this is where his ashes are, just to the left of the path. So you're relatives of his?"

Leo and Jordan

Lauren the receptionist is happy to provide you with the wi-fi password, which is available for researchers to use.

You find nothing about the runes, but a search through the digitised newspaper archives brings up a number of articles regarding Nennington. The following two catch your eye: the first dated September 1983, the other July 2004.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Well, this answers some questions," says Jordan, "but it raises others. We should compare notes with the others. The pot of ashes must be in the alley somewhere, but we're probably not going to be able to search it before the game."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 5 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy certainly doesn't see any reason to give the details, and besides, the masquerade must be upheld.

"Not relatives, we just... have an interest in local history. A friend of ours is part of the Nutters, the skittles team, he mentioned their old captain dying years ago and we wanted to see where he was buried."

As an aside, she whispers to Des, "Cremated, not buried. Your theory might still be right after all."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper nods agreeably with both the Vicar and Izzy. "Poor old soul, died during a skittle comp in fact. Still, it's probably how every skittles team captain wants to go, dying on the field of battle."

"Old Mike from the pub will be interested. Mad keen skittler. I wonder, would you mind if I took a photograph of Mr Snelgrove's grave. Nothing irreverent. I have some pie and mash black and white film, real film, perfect for a proper bit of photography."

"And I have to ask, I like your coat a lot, but it's a bit more Cure than C of E isn't it?"
Last edited by Snapper on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Still convinced she was right, Des just smiled.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Leo thanked Lauren warmly before they moved away. Sometimes he felt like he overdid the niceties because of The Met's long complicated history with being nice to people in general.

"Hmm. Yes, it does."

He shakes his head. "Or check with the Art Society about the urn. We should probably have a couple of trained vestigia people at the match. I guess those will have to wait."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"That's a thought," says Jordan. "We should also talk to Archie Buttress, if there's time before the match."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Des, Izzy and Skipper

Maureen the vicar chuckles.

"I was more of a Duran Duran girl than the Cure, but don't knock a long, warm coat when you're tending a country cemetery in the Autumn!"

"By all means take your photos. It'd be gauche of me to ask for a donation in return, so I shall merely point out the collection box by the door and leave it at that."

Her eyebrows raise a little at the mention of skittles.

"Oh, so the late Mr. Snelgrove was the skittles captain who died? Sounds very sad - I've heard his story from some of the older parishioners but I never put two-and-two together. Fancy keeling over during the finals eh? I gather he was quite the fanatic, skittles-wise."

Leo and Jordan

Your conversation draws some annoyed glances from some of the researchers, who are used to working in silence. However, you are left to your own devices.

OOC:   What would you like to do next?  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Classic. Hungry Like the Wolf, Wild Boys, Vicars on Film." Skipper heads over to the collection box and drops a £10 note in. "Ayrton, thank you for your service."

"But you're right, there's a streak of the fanatical in some of the skittlers. Mind you, that's nothing to competition Lego, now there's a blood sport. You need bouncers to keep the competitors under control."

Skipper pulls out his camera, currently loaded with black & white / IR, and heads off to find the grave. "Let me know if you'd like a snap or two of the church, Vicar, or a shot or two of yourself?"

"Ladies, shall we?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des just shook her head at Skipper’s constant chatter. Her mum’s sister Desiree had had a thing for one of the band - the bass player? She’d raved on about him but when she’d shown Des his photo, it was just an old man who ought to dress his age!
Last edited by Philulhu on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Let's go back to Nennington and meet up with the others first," says Jordan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 289 times
"As a good friend of mine is fond of saying, 'Smells like a plan,'" Leo replied.

Leo closed the laptop first and slipped it into his bag before adding "Archie Buttress" under the "Art Society" that's already under his list of "new actions" in his PNB.

Leo looked around at the annoyed researchers and resisted the urge to flip them off. He got it. When he was trying to translate in his head in the magic library back at the Folly, the slightest noise set him off too. "Sorry," he mouthed as he slipped the chair back under the desk.

"You still good driving?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Leo and Jordan

As you return to the foyer, the receptionist looks up with a smile.

"Leaving so soon? Did you find what you were looking for?"

Des, Izzy and Skipper

Maureen looks askance at Des and Izzy, cocking her head at Skipper.

"Got the gift of the gab this one," she says. smiling. "Is there anything else I can help you lovely people with?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"All good, I think," Skipper says to the Vicar. "Errm, we'll be at the pub at half six. Mike's invited us to watch his skittles team play. More the merrier if you fancy a pint."

"Right you two," he looks at Izzy and Des. "Let's go get the photo of Mr Snelgrove's grave."

OOC:   Skipper will follow the directions the Vicar provided to find the grave.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"Sure thing." Izzy gives a cheery smile to the vicar and another one to Skipper, before heading towards the marked location. She feels as if she's let Skipper do most of the legwork here, not really the norm for an actual copper, but to be fair to him, he seems to have built up quite the rapport with the Very Reverend Shipley.

As they walk on, Izzy can't help but give a slightly cheekier smile to Skipper. "So, you two seem to be getting along well, don't you?"

After all, she has her Alice, and she's almost certain that Leo is busy trying to chat up whatever attractive young man is holding the fort at the research centre (oh, if only she knew how wrong she was...). Jordan has already mentioned being married, of course.

"Just need to find someone for you now, Des!"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des snorted derisively. ”Out ‘ere?! Don’ make me laff! You see any brown faces out ‘ere? Don’ think multiculturalism has made it ‘ere, do you?”
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Izzy isn't quite certain if she's put her foot in it or not, but her face turns as red as her hair regardless.

"I didn't... um, I meant... could be back in... London..." She stammers, but after all, neither she nor Jordan have anyone local, their partners are both back home in the city. She struggles to get her point across though as she backpedals out of pure embarrassment.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper laughs gently but cheerfully. Once definitely out of earshot, he goes on. "You realise it's highly likely the nice vicar is happily married with kids, and an aging scoundrel is really not going to tempt her much. Having said that..." He appears to stop himself mid-sentence.

"Anyway, my day job is hunting down information for punters, information they can't get themselves. And I don't have a badge so I can't be lazy. A lot of the time, getting that information means talking to people nicely. Not lying to them, not trying to heavy them, just normal chat."

"I am surprised how susceptible I am to a black coat and white collar though."

He looks over at Des for a tick, no trace of sympathy on his face. "I'm guessing even Hereford is a bit multicultural by now. But even if it isn't, you realise there are young white guys, or girls, who actually might fancy you? Young mind you, not me, I'm old enough to be your dad. Just saying there may be some handsome local out there summoning up the courage to say hi." Skipper heads off grave hunting, looking pious.
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Rivers of London”