Statement 2: New Row

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Statement 2: New Row

Post by Snapper »

Skipper looks at Des with mild amusement. "Whadda you care if it's true or not? To quote Winston from Ghostbusters, if there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

He looks at an old fashioned CWC analog watch on his wrist. "We've got plenty of time before 11 then. Lots of poking around opportunity."

Skipper pulls a digital SLR camera out of his backpack and speedily changes the telescopic zoom lens for a much stubbier close range version. Camera in one hand, coffee in the other, he grins. "I'm good."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
Jordan bought the flapjacks and ate them during the interview. He finishes them in time to follow the others to the store. "I've heard of poltergeists," he says. "Never believed in them before, but I've come to understand that anything's possible."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Please make a Magic or Occult roll (if you have either skill) to test your knowledge.
You know that poltergeists are a type of ghost. However, to your knowledge ghosts don’t usually usually try to hurt people. If they do, it must be something serious; or the assailant might not be a ghost at all, but something much more concerning…

See Regular success above. You also know that it takes about 100 years for a genuine poltergeist to develop.

Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 5 months

Post by Trivun »

"Grandma? I'm twenty-two..." Izzy mutters, feeling outraged and rather upset at Des' comment. Still, it doesn't matter. She knows that sooner or later, Des will get a sharp shock when she sees precisely what sort of cases the Folly deals with regularly...

Magic roll (60%):

1d100

"Mr. Anderson, how long has the shop been operating for? Was it always a bookshop, or did it used to be something else?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

22?! Wow, that seems ancient to Des… ;)

Unless I’m mistaken, Des has neither Magic nor Occult. Would Sense Vestigia work, or is the trace too old?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

This particular roll is more about magical/occult knowledge, rather than sensing vestigia.
There’s actually a mechanism in the rules for situations when no one has the requisite skill: you can spend 10 luck to roll against the characteristic most associated with the skill.
In this instance, a couple of characters have the Magic skill, so that rule doesn’t apply :)
SaintMeerkat
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

Magic (60/30): 1d100

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Might I examine your injuries, Mr. Anderson?" asks Jordan. He doesn't know anything about magic, but at least this would be within his realm of expertise.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

While the magic people are doing their thing, can Skipper try a Read Person to make some assessment of Anderson? Assuming that's how Read Person works.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Snapper wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:37 am
While the magic people are doing their thing, can Skipper try a Read Person to make some assessment of Anderson? Assuming that's how Read Person works.
Yes, go for it.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%dp30%

Skipper keeps half an eye on Anderson but can form no judgement.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Anderson is pretty shook up by his ordeal and, having already been treated by paramedics, might be reluctant to be examined again. Maybe a Social roll might persuade him?

“I don’t know how long the shop’s been open for; I’ve only been working there a couple of years. The building’s eighteenth century I think,” Anderson replies to Izzy’s question.

“I’ve no idea what it used to be before, but I know it was originally three shops: the one on New Row and two adjacent ones that back onto it from Garrick Street. Someone back in the day knocked the walls through and turned it into a single shop. It’s a total nightmare when it comes to shoplifters - lots of dead space.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des made a mental note of that last comment, should she feel the need to come back at a later date. Not that books were easy to move on, but if times got hard…
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 5 months

Post by Trivun »

Izzy makes a note of the building's estimated date and history, as relayed by the unfortunate Mr Anderson.

"Thanks for that. You've been a great help, I think that might be enough for us for now, unless the others have more questions. If anything else comes to mind that you think could help, please get in touch," she says, handing him a card with her name and work mobile number, Force ID number, and the address of the Folly.

"He does have a crime reference number, yes?" Izzy asks PC Singh as an aside.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

PC Singh nods.

"Yes, a crime number has been provided. Does anyone else have any questions, or can I let Mr. Anderson go on his way?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I'm a doctor," says Jordan. "I know you were already treated in hospital, but I may be able to find some clues that would help us bring your assailant to justice."

Social roll (60% skill) to convince Anderson:
d%
Hard success.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 487 times
"I don't have any further questions at this time," Leo added. "Thank you both!"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"No questions from me, I'm good."

Skipper throws his camera's sling strap over his neck, the backpack over a shoulder, and drifts just outside the coffee shop, clutching his latte. One-handed, he starts taking a few snaps of Stonewaters down the lane.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Before the team leaves the Cappuccino Lounge, Jordan quickly examines Anderson.

The bruising is consistent with the man’s account: he has been hit by a number of blunt objects, seemingly thrown from a few metres away.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Skipper looks back at his newfound, apparent colleagues, gestures that he is taking some photos, then wanders off. He crosses to the other side of the New Row and ambles along until he is roughly opposite Stonewaters, taking a few photos as he goes. And sipping coffee.

Spoiler:
Observation check? And / or Photography?

Return to “Rivers of London”