Statement 5: The Road to Hell

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Statement 5: The Road to Hell

Post by jp1885 »

As you step into the shadowy chapel, Preacher Jones backs away, as if forced by the power of your reasoning.

"I... I..."

He retreats up the aisle, flanked by rotting pews, upon which sit dark, skeletal shapes; mercifully hidden in the gloom.

"I..."

His cadaverous face a mask of torment, he stops at the ragged altar and stares in wonderment at each of you in turn.

"I offer you your freedom and yet you remain to protect even those whose guilt is without question..."

"The punishment I give is the punishment I must bear for my own sins, yet you offer to take me with you..."

"You ask for guidance despite the wrath I threaten you with..."

"You stand defiant and brave regardless of the hell around you..."

"Your errors give you cause to falter, yet you step into the darkness nonetheless..."

"You speak the truth..."

As he sinks to his bony knees, a rush of fresh air howls through the chapel, bringing with it the light of summer.

"Can it be? Am I finally forgiven?"

The dark, hellish scene fades - bleaching like an old photograph in the sun. There is a whisper of leaves, the tinkling of a stream...

...and the contented sigh of unbound souls dissipating into - well, who knows where?

"Come on you lot, get to the other side!"

Shouting over the bustle of engines, Mrs. Evans shoos a knot of tardy, giggling children over the crossing before turning to you.

"And you too my dears. Doesn't do to linger on a crossing for too long."

You find yourselves, back in the real world, being ushered gently accross Grove Street and on to the pavement opposite the school. Alongside you are a still-handcuffed Lewis and a tattered, whimpering Councillor Short.

"You all came back then? I suppose it must've gone well eh?" says the lollipop lady. "The preacher has gone and it's nice and quiet now - I'm very glad."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, ma'am," says Jordan, crossing to the safety of the pavement. "It certainly did. I'm very glad too. I'd like to buy you a cake."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Eli nods at Mrs Evans as he crosses over the road. " I hope you get to enjoy the peace for a good while to come."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

I get why Des is being picked on. It doesn’t mean she thinks it’s fair though! ;)

”Is that it?” asked Des, pushing herself to feet. ”What about… you know?” She subtly nodded in the direction of Mrs Evans.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Snapper »

Having done a quick head count, Skipper paused to grin. "Nice one, Jordan and Eli, proper job of talking on your feet."

"See, Voodoo 5-0, it doesn't always have to be a Hogwarts wand shoot-out with added fireballs. Your counter goes back to zero, Leo."

"Could murder another cigar, better not outside a school though."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks, Skipper," says Jordan. "We make a good team." To Des he adds. "She'll be able to sleep now without Preacher Jones and Councillor Short keeping her constantly awake and dragging people back there. I think things will be quiet here from now on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Nodding at Jordans words Eli adds, "You maybe right, but i think it may be prudent to keep an eye on this village. Preacher Jones may have been keeping our lollipop busy, but he mustve been shouting for decades yet only a handful of disappearances sporadically through time have occurred. I nay be overthinking this, maybe just the higher profile of Councillor Short but someone
else may have found or might find a way to utilise Mrs Evans gifts."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Rest and cake. Heh, what else can you ask for?"

Mrs. Evans chuckles, looking out across the street as if seeing it for the first time and only half-listening to your conversation.

"Perhaps enough have been judged... Yes, maybe so..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue

DS Singh is, in her own way, extremely grateful for the return of Councillor Short, although even she is surprised at how willingly he confesses to his crimes.

With him (and to a lesser extent Lewis), helping the police with their enquiries, the Dyfed–Powys Economic Crime Team are able to expose large-scale corruption within certain sectors of the building industry and certain sectors of local government. However, by the time the investigation is concluded and the whole thing makes the national headlines, you are all back in the civilised embrace of Russell Square.

"Hmm, a most satisfying conclusion," DI Nightingale mutters as he straightens his newspaper. "Alas your part in apprehending the miscreant receives no mention, but rest assured the right people are extremely impressed with how you comported yours- Ha!"

His laugh echoes around the atrium of the Folly, causing Molly to look up quizzically from her tea-pouring.

"Perhaps I'd better take a drive to Wales and establish diplomatic relations," he continues.

Rather than elaborate, The Nightingale chuckles, holding up the newspaper article for you all to read:

-are looking at a long prison sentence. Several planning applications in the town of Cwmllyn have been cancelled or reduced in scope. In addition any building projects that are still going ahead must now include an element of civic improvement, beginning with the building of a new, purpose-built library and museum. Further projects will be decided by public consultation in conjunction with the local council, under the aegis of the new town councillor, retired lollipop lady Maud Evans.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Lor' bless 'er, she's an unstoppable force."

Skipper was idly opening a just-collected envelope of developed photos. "Gordon Bennett, I'm glad these are developed by a machine, not a person, might give some poor school kid working part time PTSD."

He set out some black and white photographs of a Welsh hell-scape, occupied gibbets, and Preacher Jones...

"Could blow that one of Jones up to portrait size, frame it and hang it downstairs. Watcha think?"

1d%pHpH60%
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's some impressive photography," says Jordan. "Still, I think the subject matter wouldn't be appropriate for the National Gallery."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Oh I dont know about that Jordan could be the photographic equivalent of Francis Bacon painting."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"I'm not pretending to be an artist. I take photos to record events.
People, places, activity, fanatical Welsh hell preachers, weird Falcon critters..."

"As long as the moment is captured, I'm happy as a clam."

Skipper fished out his phone. "Better put a few days in with the RNVR."

"Wonder how busy the Vicar is...?"
SaintMeerkat
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 309 times

Leo nodded grimly. "Both times I cast fireball in the field, there was a legitimate fucking monster standing right in front of me at the time. The first time, I deprived a village of its primary source of entertainment, and the second time, I nearly killed an innocent man."

He looked at the Nightingale, "Is this sort of thing... just another day at the Folly, sir?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

(Interlude)

For the next week, Skipper was unseen by his fellow Folly folks. Days started early and were spent half at the BJJ gym, half at a computer somewhere or some training college, doing more PI vocational training. Two evenings were spent with the RN Reserve at HMS President.

By week's end, a somewhat bruised Skipper messaged to say he'd finally been awarded that elusive black belt. And was planning to celebrate by admiring ecclesiastical architecture in Nennington over the weekend. With possible photography involved. Don't wait up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan spends his time on many of the same pursuits as Skipper, and in fact he often trains with him at the BJJ gym. The two of them sometimes spar, and while Skipper usually gets the better of him, he gives as good as he gets and achieves the purple belt. His research, however, generally takes place at the Folly's library rather than on a computer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Des returns to the folly for further training. Having had a close call and almost taken away to wherever Mrs Evans and her ilk think sinners should go, she’s determined not to be incapable of defending herself next time.

Return to “Rivers of London”