Statement 4: Back to School

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: Statement 4: Back to School

Post by jp1885 »

Please make a Read Person roll Izzy.  
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 4 months

Post by Trivun »

Read Person: 60%  
1d100
  Success!  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Reading the man’s body language - the way his muscles are tensing - it’s clear he’s about to do something rash. You have seconds before he acts!
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Candano... such a useful spell. Also called the 'Tanglefoot', and perfect for stopping someone dead in their tracks, without needing to use any sort of force, like throwing a set of bolas around someone's ankles. As Izzy sees the figure tense up, she silently flings the spell right at him, caring less about potential damage to the TV in his arms, and more about stopping him from getting away. It's unlikely he'd get past Jordan at the door, but hey, she's seen enough episodes of Gladiators to know how easy most contenders find the 'Gauntlet'...

Magic 60%  
1d100
  Damn, that was so close! Just about a Success!  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[83] = 83
STR 70 1d100: [ 83 ] = 83

Izzy, you cast the spell just in time!

The man leaps towards you, obviously intending to use the TV as a makeshift battering ram.

However, your magic tangles around his feet before he is able to act. The look on his face is, honestly, comical as he topples forward, instinctively clutching the TV and thus unable to put his arms out to arrest his descent.

As he faceplants the floor there is an audible ‘crack’! You’re not sure if it’s his nose or the TV underneath it.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Oh, did dat ‘urt?” said Des mockingly, standing ready to step on the guy’s fingers if it looks like he might try to get up again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Need any help in there?" calls Jordan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 297 times

"Maybe we should stay back here," Leo said. "Watch the back. Just in case anyone tries to scarper. If we go around to the front and miss the guy, we will never forgive ourselves. Nor will Des..."

"Better safe than sorry..."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Inside the house...

[22] = 22
INT 40 1d100: [ 22 ] = 22

While the miscreant doesn't seem the bookish type, it appears he has enough brains to know when to stay down.

"W-what?" he groans, wincing as he props himself up on his elbows. "I-I ain't done nothing. Jus- just... I ain't talking 'til I seen a solicitor, alright?"

Outside the house...

While deliberating, you hear a loud crash from within the house, then silence (or as much silence as you can ascertain over the sound of traffic from the main street).
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 257 times

"Well, I guess I could use Impello to force the door open," he said to Skipper. Then, he hears the crash from within. "That sounds like Team Folly now..."

"Sorry about this, door..."

I am attempting to push the door open.

Magic (70/35): 1d100

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Nermind dat bollox,” snapped Des. ”’Oo sent you to rob de place?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Leo's Impello spell is precise and well-judged, forcing the back door open without causing serious damage.

With the door open, you hear the voices of you fellow investigators, followed by a miserable-sounding response, namely...

"I ain't saying anything until I've got legal representation," the intruder repeats in a sullen Welsh accent. "This is police brutality this is."
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 215 times

As the door parts, Leo grins over his shoulder at Snapper. "As requested, mate. Unfortunately, I don't do bar mitzvahs."

He did his best to pick a path through the crockery that didn't break any more, following the voices, ready for another spell if necessary.

"Mate, the only thing that can save you now is pop music." <looks around expectantly, sighs disappointedly> "Okay, you're frakked. You might as well answer my colleagues question."
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

Oh, Izzy definitely needed a distraction from her traumatic thoughts of the crossing, and this is the perfect one... As the others enter, Izzy remains smiling, as innocent as you like, looking down at the would-be burglar on the floor.

"I fail to see how this is police brutality, I didn't touch you at all. In fact, if I remember rightly, you attempted to charge at me whilst holding a television that very clearly does not belong to you... then tripped, and fell flat on your own arse. Some distance away from me, no less. And the respectable civilian witnesses here, including a doctor, by the way, will happily testify to that, I'm sure. As will any bodycam footage that might possibly decide to show up, too."

She sees absolutely no reason to inform the man that she does not, in fact, have a bodycam, but if he thinks she might have a hidden one, well, that's his assumption to make, not hers. It's not as if she would lie to the guy, right?

"As for legal representation, of course you'll have due access to a solicitor at the station, but given you've been caught red handed you'd better make sure they're a damn good one. And on that note..."

Without any further hesitation, Izzy pulls out her handcuffs, and proceeds to cuff the guy as he lies sprawled on the floor. Hands in front, as per standard procedure, though she warns him that if he does try to make a run for it, it will go all the worse for him in court.

"In accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, Section 24, you are under arrest on suspicion of burglary. I believe that it is necessary to arrest you in this instance to prevent you from absconding in the process of committing the arrestable offence. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. You will receive a written notice of your rights upon arrival at the station, and we will require your full name and address."

Izzy keeps a straight face this time as she reads him the standard caution and goes through all the legal motions, but inside, she's just glad to finally have someone she can actually arrest normally again, instead of all the magic stuff meaning people can't be tried openly for fear of breaking open the whole masquerade...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"I think a search is in order," says Jordan. "He may have weapons, and he may have stolen something small and hidden it on his person."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Trivun »

"In the cuffs he won't be able to get to any weapons anyway, and he'll be searched when we reach the station and he goes through processing."

Besides, searching him here and now would require a warrant, unless they have adequate evidence to suggest that he does indeed have weapons, whereas the arrest doesn't need a warrant provided they have good reason to arrest him. Which, of course, they do...
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

Skipper nodded approval at Leo's handiwork. "Nice. A proper bit of Hogwarts' finest."

Stalking in, he spied the Person of Interest and sighed. "No free workout for me then. And after I ate all that Welsh tea cake too."

Addressing said POI, he continued, "What you go and trash this place for, you dozy muppet!? Not even a proper tea leaf. Where's your sense of professionalism? Wales' answer to Lupin."

"I suppose it's too much to hope Moriarty here has a burly kickboxer friend hiding in the en-suite?" Skipper pessimistically commenced a quick search of the rest of the premises for hoped-for accomplices, grumbling as he did.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jordan.png
"Yes, well done," says Jordan. "We'll want to make sure that when we bring him in, we don't go by way of Grove Street."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 95 times

Leo smiled and nodded politely.

As he stood over the others, he said, "Hopefully, some of the others will have returned from the accident by now. If not, the desk sergeant can probably get things started."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Cladping his hand on Leo's shoulder and smiling, Eli walks on into the room and towards the POI. Smiling he says to him, "So, what did you brng you here? And do you know where Mrs Evans the lollipop lady lives"

Return to “Rivers of London”