Page 1 of 1

OOC Discussion

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
The place for out-of-character discussion and other chat that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Re: OOC Discussion

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Once we've got the Finished Characters posted we'll be ready to kick off. Any questions/comments before we start?

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:59 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I'm still kinda new to this. Is there anywhere to download a kid cthulhu character sheet? Or anything you recommend?

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
I can send you the sheet that comes with the scenario for your pre-gen character but generally we just have our sheet represented in the Finished Characters thread in text.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Ahh, like they are now, just with any of our tweaks you mean? Sorry if I'm being nieve.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:10 pm Ahh, like they are now, just with any of our tweaks you mean? Sorry if I'm being nieve.
That's right. Then it's easier for you to edit the post and add in a sanity loss or drop down hit points so that we can all see it.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:17 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Thank you.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
How do you transfer the character sheet to the finished character section?

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:19 pm
by Mephistophilis
So look at the post from me with the character sheet. Press the quotation mark button at the top right of the post. That will create a post quoting me. You can then copy the BBCode from between the quotation tags. Then paste that into a post in the Finished Characters thread. Do your best and I can tidy it up after.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 pm
by LiviaBlue
I'll probably have my character all done either this evening or tomorrow morning ^^

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
LiviaBlue wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 pm I'll probably have my character all done either this evening or tomorrow morning ^^
Cool, no problem.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:06 pm
by aine
Is it too late to join? I notice no one is playing the kid who’s always eating...

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
aine wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:06 pm Is it too late to join? I notice no one is playing the kid who’s always eating...
Go go go.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
aine wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:06 pm Is it too late to join? I notice no one is playing the kid who’s always eating...
So aine, what I'm proposing is the other four will start making their way towards the house and your character can catch up (when you've created them!)

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
The first in character thread has started here.

Aine, when you're ready and you've posted your finished character you can post in that thread with Louis trying to catch up with the others.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:48 am
by LiviaBlue
Is Roger just bad at counting or was it a mistake saying there are four of us rather than five (+little bro)? ^^

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:15 am
by Mephistophilis
He was being a misogynistic eighties bully and counting Shirley for half as much as a boy. But he's also not very smart.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:18 am
by LiviaBlue
But even with that, he said 3 and 1/2. Shouldn't it be 4 and 1/2? Harry, Darren, Kyle, Louis, and Shirley? Though I get it if he's not smart enough for that lol

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:19 am
by Mephistophilis
Yeah, he can't count.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:26 am
by Mephistophilis
I amended the post to make it clear he's dumb.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:54 am
by LiviaBlue
I'll let one of the smart kids point it out if they want to

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Harry's too smart to say anything to his face.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:41 pm
by LiviaBlue
Still getting a hang of the dice roller ^^'

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:46 am
by Mephistophilis
Happy to allow spending Luck if that's what people would like. Any views?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:48 am
by BoyBlunder78
I'm fine with that. Pushed rolls? Can't remember if we are doing that.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:17 am
by Mr. Handy
The rules thread said pushing is allowed in this game, but not spending Luck. I don't like the spending Luck rule on general principles, but that's from my perspective as a Keeper. As a player, however, it would be useful right about now. If I'm allowed, I'll spend the 2 Luck to succeed at Play with Matches.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:19 am
by Mephistophilis
I think Luck spending changes the whole approach in CoC - and I don't like meta-currencies - however it is practically the default in 7th edition now and it does make things easier as a player (earlier on). So I'm happy to go with the majority.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:30 am
by BoyBlunder78
I don't mind either way, it is a bit more pulpy though.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:29 am
by LiviaBlue
I don't care one way or another either

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:17 pm
by Mephistophilis
Since everyone is pretty ambivalent I think we'll stick with the no Luck spend rule. You can still push a roll though.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:38 am
by kabukiman
So we are dividing in two groups? I guess the kids' didn't see yet any horror movies...

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:24 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Depends if they had older brothers to get them the VHS tapes :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Will update this evening but I think you've actually left Louis downstairs by himself. That'll all be fine I'm sure...

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:16 pm
by aine
I only turned away for a moment... and then they were gone :o

Looking forward to a blood curdling scream any minute now.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:07 am
by LiviaBlue
Nice detail with Roger's pic showing the him more rugged and scared

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
What do you mean? Surely he's always looked like that?

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:38 pm
by BoyBlunder78
3 way split!!!!

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
Maybe kids in the 80s hadn't seen all the horror movies and got all jaded yet. Anyway, what could go wrong?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:59 pm
by LiviaBlue
Turns out, we were the kids in those movies all along

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:21 am
by LiviaBlue
Oh no, it's my turn :c

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:41 am
by kabukiman
So, it seems Kyle had such a low opinion of Roger that he wasn't surprised with the murder :D

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:18 am
by LiviaBlue
Happy all the holidays to y'all!! Been busy with prepping for Christmas. This is one of my favorite periods of the year and I hope everyone is having a good time, good company and good food!

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:19 am
by BoyBlunder78
Happy Christmas everyone! Hope you all have an amazing time! I've just about passed all my San rolls getting g things organised :shock: :lol:

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:31 pm
by LiviaBlue
Happy New Year everyone! :D

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:08 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Happy New Year folks. Hope you all have an amazing new 2023!!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Happy New Year!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:36 am
by Mephistophilis
Happy New Year all. Sorry I'm being slow, was ill then Christmas and New Year commitments.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:58 am
by LiviaBlue
Things are spiraling out of control quickly T-T

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:52 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Wouldn't be CoC without aome friendly arson.......

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy
It's great that my insanity actually makes logical sense. The same thing happened when I played PX Poker Night. My character developed pyromania, and said "We need to burn it! Burn it with fire!" The other, "sane" investigators agreed with me.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:58 am
by BoyBlunder78
Now that lil brown Jenkins mofo and his pals have gone, is my bout over?

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:18 am
by Mephistophilis
Yep.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:05 pm
by BoyBlunder78
What do you think folks? I've a gym class of 80% shall I push the roll? Could mean bad things for anyone stuck in the library?

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Speaking as someone who has already made it up, I have no objection. ;)

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:12 am
by LiviaBlue
go for it xD

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:59 am
by BoyBlunder78
Love how so far everyone whose said DO IT!! have already escaped the library :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:51 am
by kabukiman
WIth 20% in gym, better Kyle don't help...

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:20 pm
by aine
Alea iacta est, er Darren, Louis??

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:22 pm
by BoyBlunder78
It has, and the dice gods have smiled upon us.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:09 pm
by aine
They could probably build some last minute escape route. Louis is a black belt in Ikean.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:20 pm
by BoyBlunder78
With that roll there's nothing he can't build!

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:11 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Sorry, I have been very busy but I'l resume playing.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
No worries.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:56 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'm away for a week with rubbish internet so posting will be sporadic or non-existent,

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:01 am
by LiviaBlue
How should I go about trying to shoot Old Danny with my bb gun?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Just say "Shirley shoots Old Danny with her BB gun" and roll your BB gun attack (which I think is 50%). What could go wrong?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:54 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Yes......what could go wrong.... :o :D

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy
As an expert in physics, and someone who's potentially in the line of fire, Harry knows all too well what could go wrong. So...um...don't miss.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Right, kinda new to this. What do I need to roll for my san loss? Would it be a 1d8 +1?

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
You failed the extreme POW test so you can read the second entry. That'll tell you to test Sanity and if you pass then lose 1d2 Sanity, if you fail then lose 1d6+1 Sanity.

The POW check wasn't to see if you lose Sanity...you're definitely going to lose Sanity.

I think I hadn't been allowing Luck spends so far in the game (hard to remember stuff like that over this time period!) but I think maybe I'll allow it if anyone wants given this is the denouement. Luck's no good if you're dead.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Ahhhh, right....I get it now ..loong day.... :oops:

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:38 am
by LiviaBlue
Sorry for being absent last week, I ended up going on a very last minute camping trip ^^'

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:11 pm
by aine
Previously said:   If you're sure you want to pass?  
Ominous.
Right, Chaps. Do we think it might be bad to pass this POW roll? I see Mr Handy is going for it - might it be wise if Louis fails his? Or shall I spend the luck so I can hit the old bat with Louis’ bat?

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
I think it's better. The only bad thing I could see was potentially worse Sanity loss, but since we've already lost Sanity when we made our first Sanity roll, we don't risk losing any more.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:33 pm
by BoyBlunder78
That was my only concern, but if that's off the table..... swing away.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:52 am
by LiviaBlue
How many BB shots do I have on me? Ive used 2 so far.

Also, anything for losing so much of my Sanity?

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
Ball bearings are pretty small so I'll say you have as many as you need. As for insanity, I like to do that narratively rather than mechanically, through what you see and hear, so that's taken care of through the posts.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'm at way for a couple of weeks but I'll try and keep up with some posting since we've reached a bit of a climax. Probably won't be able to have any pics or not many since I'm using my phone.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:16 pm
by aine
I’m away for 4/5 days cycle touring, back when the rain gets too much and hopefully before the thrilling, desperate end of Act 3.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Torched the old witch. Well done. Only one insane, and one nearly dead. Do you want to play out your escape or hand wave it?

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm fine with it either way.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I'm fine either way too. Although if possible I think Darren should end up with a new 'pet'........a small reminder of his brother as it were.......

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:48 pm
by aine
These meddlesome kids are going to be in SO much trouble from parents and police. Maybe best to leave them in their moment of glory, as it were.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm insane. I don't know what everyone else's excuse is. ;)

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:13 am
by BoyBlunder78
Well..not sure how I'm. Nlnot..how do I explain to my parents that my brother was eaten by a witch then 'shit' out by aforementioned witch into a small rat like creature? :geek:

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
Thanks everyone. Epilogue is up. Scenario is over. We did lose a little brother, a PC-come NPC, had Harry go insane, and Louis nearly die, so I think that counts as a win in CoC terms.

I'd appreciate any feedback that could help improve my GMing. It all took longer than I thought but I am learning that's the way with PbP. The scenario is not bad in terms of pacing but we did get to a point where things slowed down a bit when no one wanted to go into the basement. And the magic spell preventing anyone leaving is a bit cringey (although probably necessary).

I enjoyed running it and I hope you guys enjoyed playing. Everyone got into it which was great.

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:42 am
by LiviaBlue
Thank you so much for running this. Your writing is great and very enjoyable to read.

I didn't mind the spell keeping us in that much but I did find it difficult to come up with a reason to go deeper into the house when we were trying to get out or stay alive. I did love exploring all the rooms and things getting progressively spookier.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, that was great!

I suppose it was inevitable that Harry would go insane, as he only started with 40 Sanity and there were so many things that sapped it during the course of the adventure. Still, it was great fun going mad. I had thought of what kind of insanity he would have in advance and dropped some hints of it as he lost more and more Sanity. I guess there had to be a mechanism to keep us from just getting out of there the first chance we got, and it made sense within the context of the scenario.

Can we read each other's epilogues, or only our own?

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:58 am
by Mephistophilis
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:51 am Can we read each other's epilogues, or only our own?
Once the game is over you can read what you like!

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:09 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Thanks for running the game and letting me play. I really enjoyed. The atmosphere you created and the descriptions were soo good.
I understand that spell to keep us in the house was a little cringy but it was simple and effective and didn't take anyruijg away from the game. I loved the exploring and I understand what you mean about when we kinda stalled about the basement, but I think that's what comes when we are role-playing as kids, we'd need a damp good reason to go somewhere spooky, but you pulled it of. Lol.
I really like these kid-thulu rules. Are there anymore one shots or campaigns that use them? Would be interesting to keep the characters as they grow up turning into true investigators.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
Thanks. Not aware of any other scenarios using those rules but it'd be pretty easy to adapt them for other straight CoC scenarios I think. As for ageing up, I think I saw a thread on Reddit from the author of the Dare who said he thought you should just recreate the adult characters using the Kid-Cthulhu ones for inspiration. I think I'd give out rolls for skill progression so characters develop until reaching 18 - improving the kids along the way - then rewrite at 18, with maybe a few more skill points to represent all that Mythos experience. There's definitely some other scenarios where you play kids, Overdue and Pop Goes the Weasel are ones I've heard mentioned.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:42 pm
by aine
A brilliant game thanks, Mephistopheles. I enjoyed playing a goofy kid and I everyone’s character evolved in interesting ways.
There I was, thinking that Harry really had special powers!
In all games, I tend to lose a few threads on what’s happened, just because they go on a long time. I keep meaning to write myself a summary as we go along but I never do.
I’d be up for playing the next instalment.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'm a bit busy for another game right now but Halloween is coming up so maybe I'll see if there's interest for another instalment. Maybe a modified Unland would work, creepy theme park seems appropriate.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd be up for it too.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:36 am
by BoyBlunder78
I'd definitely be up for it too.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anyone else up for continuing the adventures in Northfield, Indiana?