OOC Discussion

The Old Barnaker House. Every kid has heard about it. Everybody has a different awful story about it. All of them agree it is a very bad place.

But here you are on Halloween Night, all because of that jerk Roger. He dared you and your friends to spend the night there. You couldn’t let him bully you.You will show him who is chicken! Everybody knows that there are no such things as ghosts. Everybody knows that, right?

So get your slingshot and your pocket knife. Grab some candy and ready your Rubik’s Cube. You and your friends are going to go face-to-face with the horrors of the Barnaker House.

Hopefully you will live to see the dawn.

The Barnaker House is waiting...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Mephistophilis »

Torched the old witch. Well done. Only one insane, and one nearly dead. Do you want to play out your escape or hand wave it?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm fine with it either way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

I'm fine either way too. Although if possible I think Darren should end up with a new 'pet'........a small reminder of his brother as it were.......
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

These meddlesome kids are going to be in SO much trouble from parents and police. Maybe best to leave them in their moment of glory, as it were.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm insane. I don't know what everyone else's excuse is. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Well..not sure how I'm. Nlnot..how do I explain to my parents that my brother was eaten by a witch then 'shit' out by aforementioned witch into a small rat like creature? :geek:
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Thanks everyone. Epilogue is up. Scenario is over. We did lose a little brother, a PC-come NPC, had Harry go insane, and Louis nearly die, so I think that counts as a win in CoC terms.

I'd appreciate any feedback that could help improve my GMing. It all took longer than I thought but I am learning that's the way with PbP. The scenario is not bad in terms of pacing but we did get to a point where things slowed down a bit when no one wanted to go into the basement. And the magic spell preventing anyone leaving is a bit cringey (although probably necessary).

I enjoyed running it and I hope you guys enjoyed playing. Everyone got into it which was great.

Cheers.
LiviaBlue
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LiviaBlue »

Thank you so much for running this. Your writing is great and very enjoyable to read.

I didn't mind the spell keeping us in that much but I did find it difficult to come up with a reason to go deeper into the house when we were trying to get out or stay alive. I did love exploring all the rooms and things getting progressively spookier.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thank you, that was great!

I suppose it was inevitable that Harry would go insane, as he only started with 40 Sanity and there were so many things that sapped it during the course of the adventure. Still, it was great fun going mad. I had thought of what kind of insanity he would have in advance and dropped some hints of it as he lost more and more Sanity. I guess there had to be a mechanism to keep us from just getting out of there the first chance we got, and it made sense within the context of the scenario.

Can we read each other's epilogues, or only our own?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:51 am Can we read each other's epilogues, or only our own?
Once the game is over you can read what you like!
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Thanks for running the game and letting me play. I really enjoyed. The atmosphere you created and the descriptions were soo good.
I understand that spell to keep us in the house was a little cringy but it was simple and effective and didn't take anyruijg away from the game. I loved the exploring and I understand what you mean about when we kinda stalled about the basement, but I think that's what comes when we are role-playing as kids, we'd need a damp good reason to go somewhere spooky, but you pulled it of. Lol.
I really like these kid-thulu rules. Are there anymore one shots or campaigns that use them? Would be interesting to keep the characters as they grow up turning into true investigators.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Thanks. Not aware of any other scenarios using those rules but it'd be pretty easy to adapt them for other straight CoC scenarios I think. As for ageing up, I think I saw a thread on Reddit from the author of the Dare who said he thought you should just recreate the adult characters using the Kid-Cthulhu ones for inspiration. I think I'd give out rolls for skill progression so characters develop until reaching 18 - improving the kids along the way - then rewrite at 18, with maybe a few more skill points to represent all that Mythos experience. There's definitely some other scenarios where you play kids, Overdue and Pop Goes the Weasel are ones I've heard mentioned.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

A brilliant game thanks, Mephistopheles. I enjoyed playing a goofy kid and I everyone’s character evolved in interesting ways.
There I was, thinking that Harry really had special powers!
In all games, I tend to lose a few threads on what’s happened, just because they go on a long time. I keep meaning to write myself a summary as we go along but I never do.
I’d be up for playing the next instalment.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

I'm a bit busy for another game right now but Halloween is coming up so maybe I'll see if there's interest for another instalment. Maybe a modified Unland would work, creepy theme park seems appropriate.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd be up for it too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

I'd definitely be up for it too.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Anyone else up for continuing the adventures in Northfield, Indiana?

Return to “The Dare”