McMorn Manor (Slight Return)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: McMorn Manor (Slight Return)

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" Could always burn those accursed trees, the creature seems to use them in some way" Dr Douglas mutters as clasps the journal ever tighter.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, good idea," agrees Bonnie. They'd just have to make sure the fire didn't spread to the house. Although, if it did, she thinks it would be no great loss.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Just waiting for an update for Father Ó Shaban before we move on.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

As there was the suspicious sound heard, the father stopped his praying, and moved away from the body. Animals of that kind presumably followed the acento of blood, and he really didnt want to be hunted.

"Ze prredator is sure to be near. I had told zis man to beware the beast, and now he lays dead, dont ignore my warning!"

The Father Ó Shaban proclaimed dramatically.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Serjeant Lorimer considered Dr Douglas’ words and shrugged. ”That’ll be for the procurator fiscal tae consider, sir,” he replied, looking at McBride’s corpse. ”But I guess it doesnae harm his case...”

He looked up at Ascot, Bonnie and Dr Douglas. ”We need tae cover the body. Did any o’ ye see a blanket aboot?”

The creaking noise was followed quickly by a sharp ‘crack’ from the tree. As Father Ó Shaban looked up at the source of the noise, he could see where the tree bark had split. It looked as if two limbs had sprouted on either side of the tree - not branches, but limbs! As he watched with mounting horror, the bark split again, horizontally this time, to reveal sharp, bone-white teeth…

OOC:   SAN roll, please.  
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:15 am
Serjeant Lorimer considered Dr Douglas’ words and shrugged. ”That’ll be for the procurator fiscal tae consider, sir,” he replied, looking at McBride’s corpse. ”But I guess it doesnae harm his case...”

He looked up at Ascot, Bonnie and Dr Douglas. ”We need tae cover the body. Did any o’ ye see a blanket aboot?”

The creaking noise was followed quickly by a sharp ‘crack’ from the tree. As Father Ó Shaban looked up at the source of the noise, he could see where the tree bark had split. It looked as if two limbs had sprouted on either side of the tree - not branches, but limbs! As he watched with mounting horror, the bark split again, horizontally this time, to reveal sharp, bone-white teeth…

OOC:   SAN roll, please.  
I cant roll
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The only blanket I remember is the one we placed round the auld corpse we found in the sealed room," says Bonnie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"True, although I'm sure we could find something that would do the trick in the room." replied Dr Douglas.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Ascot discreetly transfers the revolver to the inner pocket of his suit jacket, without pulling it out. Then he shrugs off his overcoat and offers it to the Sergeant.

"This coat is ruined anyway. The least I can do is provide it to cover McBride. However little he deserved it in life, in death everyone deserves some little respect."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Sorry, I keep forgetting the dice roller doesn’t work for you.

SAN (60%*) 1d100

*Possibly less as I need to check what you’ve lost, if any.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Sorry, I keep forgetting the dice roller doesn’t work for you.

SAN (60%*) 1d100

*Possibly less as I need to check what you’ve lost, if any. In any event 44 should be a pass so that’s just one SAN point lost.

Father Ó Shaban was sufficiently in charge of his faculties so that he could back away as bits of broken tree bark dropped to the floor. With a creaking, splintering sound, the torso of the creature came free from the trunk of the tree, glaring balefully at the humans stood before it.

For one of the men, it was all too much. He turned and ran, leaving the man with the shotgun to back away, open mouthed as he stared at the emergent creature.

Serjeant Lorimer nodded his agreement at Ascot’s suggestion, glancing around warily as the hunter doffed his coat and cast it as a shroud over the body of the fallen Dr McBride.

”Is there anything else ye need tae make me aware of?” asked Serjeant Lorimer.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The beastie fled after I sang at it," says Bonnie. "It must nae have liked the song."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"So thats what happened? What did you sing? That whole part of the night is murky for me." Dr Douglas asks.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Ascot continues to pace, checking windows for the creature. He tries to hide his frustration.

"What else can we tell you, Sergeant? We saw one beast. We heard more howls. Our researches suggest the last laird brought some strange animals from Africa a century ago. We've seen the proof. We're all in mortal danger."

"And somehow, and don't ask me how, they can hide in those funny trees."
Last edited by Snapper on Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The song was in the laird's auld journal that we found," says Bonnie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Waiting for Father Ó Shaban to act.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Ahh, that strange phrase, so it does work!" replies Dr Douglas, as he starts flicking through the journal for the words.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

The Father was a man without fear for most human foes, but whatever this predator was, it definitely wasnt one of the things he didnt fear. Being a coptic priest in Boston prepared your for a lot of things, but not tree panthers. So he ran to the house, screaming quite openly. Already going inside, he would try to not scream anymore and get to the study in which to close the door.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Screaming fit to burst, Father Ó Shaban ran into Manor House. Ahead of him were the two rooms that contained the ransacked coffins; to the left lay the kitchens and the stairs to the upper floors, though there was little light to see by on account of the hour and the limited aperture of the window slits.

From outside, there was the sound of incoherent shouting, followed by the flat bark of a shotgun.

The discussion was brought to an abrupt end as the sound of someone scream emanated from down below. The acoustics suggested that it had started outside but had quickly entered the building. Moments later, the flat bark of a shotgun could be heard from outside.

”Whit the blazes wus that?!” snapped Serjeant Lorimer.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Its the Creature!! Ready your arms Sarjeant, and pray for your men!!" hisses Dr Douglas.

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”